Type keyword(s) to search

Married At First Sight: The First Year

• Start Topic

I can sympathize with Jamie in having the baby fever. She's 28!... which in all actuality, that is the last year woman are considered in their "most fertile years". (It's pretty scary knowing that 20 is actually your best fertile year - 20!? Yikes!) Yes, you can still have children after 28 of course but 28 is typically the age fertility goes on it's journey downwards. Sooo I can just understand all the crazy baby talk. I would slow it down if I was her tho - I mean you just got married - do you want Doug running away from fear!? He's hideous btw - woof. When he talks about needing sex more he makes me cringe. 

I too think Vaughn is veeery suspect. Monet is the ideal female. & she shouldn't cut herself shot from what she deserves.

Jason and Cortney remind me of a teenage cohabiting couple. There's just something very strange about their relationship and I really doubt it's going to last.  

• Love 1

It's funny how crazy Jamie has turned out to be, hopefully they've done better screening for new new season. The producers should have stuck with amateurs instead of recruiting Jamie for the show. I've always wondered why they wanted her, was it for her looks or previous tv experience. Whatever the reason I don't think this has played out well.

The show ended with people loving and believing in Jamie. Now that has changed and fans are finally see her as fake and crazy. They should have left well enough alone and not have done the continued follow up

Now I'm convinced that Cortney's family does not want to be on TV at all. Even when she went home by herself, all they showed was a car ride there and a car ride back. No pictures of the family or the homestead. They also kind of implied that Jason met the family at some point. I kind of get that because I can't imagine what would get me to sign a release to put me on a TV show, even if it is on a digital tier channel.

• Love 2

I think Courtney is dealing with depression.  Speaking from experience, when you are depressed, you are not always rational in how you handle things. Clearly you see it when she cancelled plans with Monet.  She's withdrawing inward.  If I were her -- i'd be calling up all my friends to do things when Jason is at work.  I'd be signing back up for burlesque and looking for a new job.  I'd be doing what I could to fill my time when Jason is not around.  Courtney is not doing these things because she is just not in a good head space to be doing them.

She's just trying to figure it all out -- trying to figure out how to be a good wife and be who she is all in the same breath.  She just lost her job.  Which, is a hit to the ego no matter how much money the show might be throwing out at her (which, can't be much?  I FYI is a fairly new channel and not necessarily hot on the radar).  She quit her burlesque dancing group because she thought it might make her a bad wife if she continued.  She wants to start her own business... but no real excitement danced in her eyes when she talked about it.  When you are depressed, these things can be overwhelming.  Small things seem like mountains.  Crying all the time, feeling sad, tired, clingy, and being disorganized can be attributed to depression.  Granted, not everyone handles things this way when they are depressed but some people do.

I do worry about Courtney and Jason "making it" though.  They are really stumbling over the communication in the episodes lately.  Jason doesn't know what she needs or how to provide it.  You can clearly see that he definitely wants to hold on to what they have.  He is trying to be supportive.  It's just hard right now.

I'm still rooting for those crazy kids to make it.

Doug and Jamie's Thanksgiving looked fun!  My heart broke a little for Jamie throughout the episode.  You could see all of the thoughts passing through her head as she worried about her mom.  The smile and excitement she had in the beginning was washed away after she was unable to get ahold of her mom.  It was just sad.  I felt like I got a gilmpse of the sad and scared little girl in Jamie.

I think Jamie loves Doug.  I don't think Jamie is all that comfortable with sex.  If you've ever seen her in the Bachelor and on Bachelor Pad... she always seemed very awkward in relationships and with sex. 

Edited by MissScarlett
  • Love 3

We did not need to see them play that sex game. Good lord that was awkward! I think Jamie is attracted to Doug, just not as sexual as he'd maybe like. They seem to be at pretty opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to being comfortable with the topic. Lady is the best thing about that family.

I agree that Cortney just seems depressed. It's really sad to witness, since she seemed to have so much going on when they got married. Can't one of the experts help her??

I agree that Courtney is showing signs of actual depression, and I believe its been triggered by a series of stressful life events.

"To measure stress according to the Holmes and Rahe Stress Scale, the number of "Life Change Units" that apply to events in the past year of an individual's life are added and the final score will give a rough estimate of how stress affects health."

Courtney scores a 298 - a score of 300 indicates "at risk of illness"

I counted the following as life changes Courtney has experienced in the past year:

Death of a close family member  63 (I counted this since she is married to Jason)

Marriage  50

Dismissal from work  47

Gain a new family member  39 (counted this because she gained Jason's mom even though she died shortly after they met)

Change in financial state  38

Change in frequency of arguments  35

Spouse starts or stops work  26 (counted this due to Jason being in fire academy)

Change in residence  20

Change in recreation  19

Change in social activities  18

You can see the whole scale here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale#Adults

Edited by ChristmasJones
  • Love 6

Jebus, Cortney! Stop hounding your husband! You do not live inside of a telenovela!

Also, someone please explain to me why Courtney has to hire a professional makeup artist when she *is* a professional makeup artist.

• Love 2

Where's the Cortney that present herself during the experiment as so genuine and mature? Now she's coming across as a whines spoiled brat. Seems like the show has gone to her head if she thinks she can just "bamm" start a makeup line that will be successful. They have a little extra money and instead of paying off her debts she just finds ways to create more debt. She doesn't want to get a job and seems to think nothing of putting this extra burden on Jason. She must not realize that people are already over them and no longer interested, especially with how she is being shown now. I don't see this marriage lasting. Perhaps they've just stayed together for the show/money.<br /><br />I still think Jamie is faking for the show. Previously she had said she hadn't talked to her mother for 6 months. Now she's all upset because she doesn't show up or call. "Me thinks the lady does protest too much"<br />

• Love 2
I don't see this marriage lasting.

Courtney & Jason's marriage is doomed. (IMO)

I still think Jamie is faking for the show. Previously she had said she hadn't talked to her mother for 6 months. Now she's all upset because she doesn't show up or call. "Me thinks the lady does protest too much"

I don't think she is because we've never seen her siblings contradict her about their Mom being unreliable. Her sister Johanna seemed pretty upset, so it's not just Jaime. I thought it interesting that her sister Amylynn had more of a "whatever" attitude about whether they heard from their Mom. Amylynn is one of the younger sibilings that Jaime took custody of, so she has had Jaime and her other older siblings to rely on. I think situations like this can be hardest on the older siblings.

Regarding the preview for next week, I don't mean to be presumptuous, but I think I can speak for everyone when I say, Doug, no one wants to hear about what is going on in your pants so STFU about it!! I adored Doug in the first season but now he's starting to creep me out.

• Love 4

This show is just such a mess! Cortney and Jason feel like they have real stuff going on, but man, that's some difficult stuff to go through! I totally understand Jason, since I've gone through some of the same things, losing my mom, aunts and uncles not speaking to us. But how is Cortney supposed to react besides just there and being supportive. The crack he made about "making memories" really had to hurt.

Jamie, oh, Jamie. I feel you are so fake, fake, fake, fake. From your eyelashes to your "Merry Christmas" and "It's our first Christmas!" I just don't believe her one iota. Plus the mom thing--geez, if your mom really sucks, cut her out. It's so much healthier and she'd be so much happier if she absolved herself of the whole drama. That is, of course, if that drama is even real. I just can't stand the "I'm upset about my mom!" I know people who really would rather be unhappy and get the attention then make an attempt to move on.

• Love 1

With Courtney, Jason is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. He was opening up, but to her it sounded like a recital, so it wasn't good enough. What the heck? She's really disappointing me.

Jason did snap at her, but he apologized and attempted to make it right. She just seems to have done a 180° and turned into the least easygoing person on the show. She is starting to make Jamie look sane. I feel bad for Jason; I think he might get hurt, and I don't want to see that.

Added: I agree about Doug. When he made that comment (in the preview) about something in his pants, I rolled my eyes. Again, Doug? What are you, 16? Ugh.

Edited by Scorpiosunshine
  • Love 2

Did anyone notice the shoddy editing when Doug and Jamie were on the way to her sister's house for Christmas? They were talking, Jamie started singing, no presents were visible, cut to Doug grimacing, then he says something about not having seen her brother, cut back to Jamie, tons of presents are visible. (Also Doug's undershirt has disappeared and Jamie's sweater/shirt/scarf are arranged differently. The presents suddenly appearing is variously jarring...)

Edited by Scorpiosunshine
  • Love 1

I thought Jason's surprise of the new apartment was sweet, but I can't imagine how I would have reacted to all of my stuff being moved while I was gone.  The apartment looked great when Cortney arrived but I couldn't help but notice by the end of the episode it was a disaster again.  From Jason's reaction after the meal about cleaning up and putting everything back, it seems that Cortney has some issues with organization.  I don't even recognize the Cortney from this season to last season.  The unkept physical appearance, the moodiness, and clinginess.  Jason is a man used to taking care of a woman and he will probably stay until there is nothing left to stay for, but I do hope Cortney gets the help she needs and they can make a go of it.

Doug creeps me out and then he has moments of incredible kindness.  I can't help but think if the camera's were gone the marriages would be over.

• Love 3

I just wonder how much sex Doug will get out of that discount CarMax car he bought for Jamie. Will Jason and Cortney get advertiser products as well?

Ha! I thought the same thing - I realized that now Jamie will have to give a BJ to Doug in the front seat. Nice ad. I hope he got the car for free and not just discounted. 

The apartment looked great when Cortney arrived but I couldn't help but notice by the end of the episode it was a disaster again.  From Jason's reaction after the meal about cleaning up and putting everything back, it seems that Cortney has some issues with organization.  

I watch this show so I can gossip with my mom about it. That was the first thing she mentioned!!! "The apartment was a mess again!" Poor Jason is going to have to hire a cleaning service or move every three months. That is something that the "experts" should have picked up on and at least counseled them on: neatness/organization. That is going to become a HUGE irritant to both of them. Between the mess and money issues, there is no way they won't be filing for divorce within a year.

• Love 2

Loved this episode. Doug's gift to Jamie, sweet. I understand about the mother thing, I come from a crazee family.

Nothing wrong with what Doug said, don't most of us hear things like that from our spouses? We're not being filmed that's the difference.

• Love 1

So I just rediscover this show, I only saw the first few ep's when they all got married. I found it interesting that Doug and Jamie, who Jamie didn't like Doug at first seem to be the happiest couple so far. Meanwhile Cortney and Jason who started off the happiest now are going through hard times?

• Love 1

[thought Jason's surprise of the new apartment was sweet, but I can't imagine how I would have reacted to all of my stuff being moved while I was gone.  The apartment looked great when Cortney arrived but I couldn't help but notice by the end of the episode it was a disaster again. )

How very inconsiderate and immature of Cortney to make a mess of the work Jason did in the apt, plus not care to clean it up. As I said previously, Cortney has really turned out to be quite the brat. Perhaps this is why the family didn't want to be filmed, they knew she wasn't ready.

I agree with Minny, if it weren't for the cameras this marriage would be done.

• Love 2

I can't quite remember what Cortney's exact wording was, but didn't she say something in that last tense argument like, "I need to know everything about you, and you need to know everything about me." Oh, boy. Cortney is so deluded about marriage. Even in the best, strongest marriages, a person will always have some thoughts that aren't shared, and parts of her that are just her own. Cortney seems to have this unrealistic idea that we become our spouse and start thinking with one brain. This is why she can't seem to function when Jason is at work--she thinks that marriage needs to fulfill every single emotional need she has at every moment.

Re Doug's "fireworks in my pants" comment: don't quit your day job, Doug. Well, first because Jamie would probably divorce you for being a "shmuck," but also because stand-up just ain't working for you.

• Love 1

Just quickly for me the issue with Doug is his phrasing is so juvenile, as soon as he makes a remark it reminds me of high school with boys trying to get some action not a grown man in a stable relationship. Maybe I am weird but if my DH makes comments like that I do not find them funny I find them disrespectful especially if he made them on camera knowing that his wife has issues with sex jokes.

I am really cynical I know Jamie is hurt by her mothers actions but I can't help thinking that she is amping up the drama to sell the book she is writing about her childhood. It stood out to me that when she with her brother & sister at the table when she suggested calling her mum her brother shook his head and her sister got all bugged eyed knowing that it was not a good idea. They seem to have accepted that it is good if their mum turns up but expecting it is just setting them up for disappointment. Then when her mum called her Jamie went straight into questioning/lecturing her, I know I would have not wanted to call somebody if that is the normal response I got either.

• Love 2

Maybe the fireworks in my pants comment was intended for Jamie. That's how interpreted it anyway.

I don't see Jason and Courtney making it. Sad.... and she has really let herself go.

Cortney has shown that her expectations are way too high and she has become way too needy and selfish

This show has made such a turn from the first season to this. It's almost like scripted reality TV for the drama that we watch elsewhere. Must be too boring to just watch them adjust to life being married so they create drama. It was sad watching Jamie on the phone with her mother at Christmas while children were running around. What will they think of grandma? Maybe she is all they say but do we have to know?

Jamie is always so made up. She really stood out at Christmas with her down to earth siblings/family. I still feel like she's auditioning for her next gig she thinks she's going to get.

I still think Jason had no business going on this show in the first place. You were applying for the fire! academy!, your mother was terminally ill, and so you think it's a good idea to go on national tv to find a wife? WTF?

***SMH*** Monet, Monet, Monet...long distance...and he's younger than you? The ink isn't dry on the divorce papers yet. Chill...take up a hobby, enroll in a cooking class (kidding!), start a blog...just back away from the Y chromosome for a while.

Doug needs to talk with Jamie about therapy, not Dr. Pepper therapy, but real deal individual counseling. I guarantee you, if she doesn't work through the stuff from her childhood, she will repeat it with her own kids. Patterns, especially psychologically and emotionally manipulative ones, are hard to break. Doug is so amped that he got the pretty girl to fall in love with him, he's not thinking about this long-term. Jamie hasn't had a model for positive adult relationships and that trauma will play out with him before too long.

• Love 3

Courtney and Jason are going through so much.  This *is* reality and probably the most legit i've seen of any reality show in awhile.

Jason is grieving for his mom.  He's grieving for the only family he's ever known.  His extended family isn't around for whatever reason.  I'm surprised they didn't even connect at the funeral.  He's never had anyone else for family other than his mom.  Now his mom is gone.  He's starting this new life with a wife.  I'm sure the whole "making memories" thing right now, just makes him think of his mom and all of the other family members who are not in his life.

Courtney is going through her sadness outwardly.  Jason is going through his sadness inwardly.  They are not meeting in the middle at all.  When Jason snapped at Courtney, I was a little puzzled.  Essentially, it would seem that Courtney is being patient with him.  She's encouraging him to open up but not making it a priority because she doesn't want to scare him into complete silence with walls going up.  But then, at the end of the episode, she was hounding him with some melodramatic "Let ME in" stuff.  She can't see that he is letting her in.  On his time and in his way. 

ALSO... Jason can't expect more from her reactions when he is letting her in at such a slow pace.  After he snapped at her, she started hounding him.  So, be careful what you wish for, Jason.

I think they can still make it work.  But I think they need to seek counseling separately and possibly together to deal with their issues.  Counseling that does not include any of the "doctors" from MAFS.

With all that said, I do think it would be helpful for them to move closer to Courtney's family.  It could be like being inducted into the Bravermans. ;)

I don't think Jamie's situation with her mom is made up in any way.  As we saw her sitting with her brother and sisters and analyzing her mom's frequent no-shows to family events, it reminded me of the pow wows my brothers and I have over family situations.  It is legit.

I think Jamie is going to do the exact opposite of whatever her mom did.  So, that means she'll probably be a helicopter parent.

Nice obvious plug for CarMax.

I actually think the "experts" did a good job with the Jamie and Doug match-up.  It may not be what she wanted initially, but it is definitely what she needs.

Gah!  Doug creeps me out when he starts talking about what is going on in his pants. No one cares Doug.  No one cares.

Edited by MissScarlett

I relate to Jamie because bad family dynamics screw around with your head. Counseling only goes so far. I did not get to a quiet place in my head until recently and I am a lot older than Jamie. You cannot tell someone to "change".

Besides, Jamie has reconnected to her mother. Remember Jamie raised her siblings. pThe show is behind times, there are photos of Jamie and her siblings with her Mom- happy photos on IG.

I love it when my s/o says naughty things!

If Jason weren't part of the FDNY and ergo, tied to the city or at least the NY Metro, I'd suggest that they move in like, a year. They need to go someplace far away. North Carolina, Minnesota, anywhere but New York. I think the stress and fast pace is taking a toll on their marriage.

I loved Doug last season but now he repulses me utterly. He always looks grubby and his adolescent behavior makes me cringe. I've come to like Jamie a little more--she's a mess, sure, but I think she's really trying and wants things to work.

I LOVED Jason and Cortney last season and this season I LOVE Jason but I'm losing my shit over Cortney. She's so clingy and needy and critical. I think Jason is really, really making a big effort to share his feelings and be a good husband. He clearly loves her and has done so much to try to please her. She seems to have decided what a Perfect Relationship consists of (probably from an article in Cosmopolitan or something) and can't or won't see her kind and generous husband for who he is. I feel bad for Jason, because this thing is going to crash and burn, and Cortney is going to be very vindictive and mean in the aftermath. And he will be bewildered and heartbroken. After all his struggles he deserves a good, kind and supportive wife. (every time I see that pic of him and his mother on Christmas when he was a little kid, I tear up.) I'm sure he would prefer some consideration and empathy to those cheesy boudoir shots. Sheesh.

• Love 1

I always wonder what the recipients of those boudoir pictures are supposed to do with them. Is Jason supposed to self pleasure while looking at them? While at the firehouse? Display them somewhere?

• Love 1

Cortney sucks. Poor Jason. I thought his idea was cute and he was clearly nervous to even ask. How long has she even lived in New York? She is not ready to settle down if she is already running back to NC. Find a damn job. You're a makeup artist. I can't even believe I'm saying Jason deserves better since I liked her so much more than him during the first five weeks.

• Love 5
Find a damn job. You're a makeup artist.

I noticed the tag that shows their name, age and occupation when they do their talking heads now says "Entrepreneur" for Courtney; in her case I think that means unemployed.

• Love 2

So apparently Cortney likes "making memories" only when it's her idea?

It's perfectly fair for one half of a couple to want to move, but I think there's something deceptive about how Cortney has approached all this. She marries a New Yorker as a NY resident herself in NY. Then plays the martyr as he trains with the FDNY. And then all of a sudden she declares that she must move back to North Carolina?

I was never Cortney's biggest fan (mostly because she seems kind of, well, not smart), but she's doing a worse job representing herself on television than I could have ever predicted. As much as she loves to berate Jason about communication, she doesn't seem to make important issues (like starting a business or moving) matters of discussion. Instead, she just has a temper tantrum and shouts her wants and needs at Jason. And what really kills me is that she says everything with such self-satisfied conviction. I can't stand her smug droning lectures during the voice-overs. Especially when she's pontificating on marriage as if she's some expert.

On the upside, she makes the more media-savvy Jamie look good.

• Love 4

Cortney's really disappointed me this season. I think she has some deep-seated issues that she needs to work on IN THERAPY. Honestly, I think both she and Jason would benefit from (individual) therapy. I am not sure why she's wrapped her entire identity up in being a wife. She seemed very put-together last season -- she had a job, hobbies, friends. Then again, that was only a one month snapshot of her life, so maybe I'm giving her too much credit. I understand that for the sake of "drama" the producers are not showing us everything, but it doesn't seem like she's made any professional progress. Surprise! starting a business costs time and money and even being great at what you do doesn't guarantee success. She's going about this all wrong, anyway. She's done nothing to "build her brand."

I also thought she was very mean to Jason in Vegas. I totally understand why she felt the way she did (and why she didn't want to renew vows), but I thought she came across as vindictive, when he was clearly trying to make an effort to mend fences and move forward.

I was about Jason's age when I lost my own mother, so I really empathize with him. Cortney needs to understand that grief is an ongoing process and with all of the changes in his life (moving, starting a new job, getting MARRIED), it can be really easy to compartmentalize and put your pain aside while you focus on other things. That doesn't mean it's not there, grief is latent, but he'll deal with it in his own time (hopefully with the help of a professional). He doesn't open up, so that's clearly something he needs to work on, but she needs to be patient and accept his peace offerings, not use them against him and say that he's not speaking from the heart.

Still don't understand why Monet is on this show. Jamie and Doug, whatever.

• Love 5

Jason and Cortney have no money so they go to Vegas? Producer shenanigans...

Maybe their friends chipped in. It's also possible to be fairly frugal flying domestic if you play your cards right.

Cortney's lack of self awareness on last nights episode was shocking!  Fun and crazy Cortney?  Life of the party Cortney?  I don't know what happened to the confident and sweet Cortney from last season but this imposter Cortney needs to get her sh** together.  Neither Jason nor Cortney were ready for marriage but I will give Jason the edge since he has had a lot of responsibility in his life at a young age.  It appears Cortney thought the initial "social experiment" was fun but that the following reality is not so much.  I hope for their sake that a lot of what we are seeing is for the benefit of the camera and viewers.  Doug and Jamie were amazingly normal last night and I look forward to his proposal.  Doug has these moments of incredible thoughtfulness.

• Love 1
Maybe their friends chipped in. It's also possible to be fairly frugal flying domestic if you play your cards right.

If you are living on one income and broke, staying at a Vegas hotel and spending money on wining and dining would be pretty tough. I realize that the show is paying for it.

I've "known" Cortney for let's say... 2 months? I knew she'd hate that Vegas wedding idea. My husband who only hears this show from a different room knew she'd hate that plan. Hell, my 2 year old who is asleep every week before this show airs knew that Cortney would hate that plan. JASON! She has done nothing but bitch and moan about how she misses her family. You already had the "Vegas" wedding when you got married the first time. If you want to go to Vegas and party then go to Vegas and party. Don't try to shoe horn a "special" moment into it. And that "proposal" was lame "so um do you wanna?" bleh!

The romantic thing to do would have been to fly her home, ask for her dad's blessing, buy her a product placed ring like Doug is doing and marry her properly.

• Love 7