Type keyword(s) to search

Married At First Sight: The First Year

• Start Topic

I wonder if she is trying to find a job in NJ so she can reduce her commute. It shouldn't be difficult for a nurse to find work in NJ or anywhere. 

The nursing thing probably isn't as location dependent compared to her spokesmodel / hosting career ambitions. You need to be in NY for that.

• Love 2

The preview clip looked like Jamie's mom didn't show up for something later on, so there may be some basis for being skeptical.

So, it looks like Monet and Vaughn are getting shoehorned in.

I was the same age as Jason when my mom died so I feel like I know what he is going through--I-- never expected to loose a parent in my 20s.  

Best of luck to him and Courtney; they have alot going for them but also face many, many, many difficulties.   

Also, her mom was at the wedding, and came to dinner and indicated a desire to see them for the holidays.  It seems like she's TRYING, and Jamie doesn't seem particularly receptive.  I guess it's hard to forgive and forget after years of a parent's misbehavior, but again, I suspect its a ploy by Jamie for more camera time, or maybe the producers are pushing for a better storyline.

From what has been said on the show, it sounds like Jamie's Mom basically abandoned her two youngest daughters and Jamie stepped in as their legal guardian when she was 19. They haven't said specifically, but I would bet that Jamie and her Mother have never talked about that situation since their Mother reappeared in their lives. The way the Mother was being all chipper at dinner, I'd guess she just pretends like it never happened. I can see how Jamie would be pissed off about that. I don't think they'll ever be able to mend their relationship unless her Mother apologizes for abandoning them and thanks Jamie for taking responsibility for her siblings. At least that's how I'd feel.

Edited by absolutelyido
  • Love 3

Jamie is nothing but a desperate attention whore!  I couldn't help but notice the look of trepidation on Doug's mom's face when she was talking about wanting a child.  I don't believe his family will ever forgive her for the way she treated him. 

Edited by Adeejay
  • Love 8

I have just watched and I cringe at Jamie's always happy sunshine and lollipops routine. It is like she is desperate to make this work with anybody so she is not embarrassed on TV again. She sounds like a PR rep for the show 'the experts' know everything you have to have to believe in them and the process *vomit* you just have to be open minded like her. Only problem is she was so close minded even towards the end of the process that she was still expecting more from Doug than was realistic.

I did laugh at Monet's face when Jamie said that she still believed that her and Vaughn had a chance.

• Love 7

The preview clip looked like Jamie's mom didn't show up for something later on, so there may be some basis for being skeptical.

So, it looks like Monet and Vaughn are getting shoehorned in.

Wouldn't it be funny if Monet and Vaughn got some sort of reconciliation edit?

The first episode was good.  The tables have certainly turned a bit in Doug and Jamie's marriage.  She seems much more relaxed, happy and comfortable.  She's also 100% in this.  Doug's parents still seem a bit skeptical.

Jason and Cortney are exactly where I thought they would be.  I think Cortney has been pretty awesome and supportive of Jason during his time of need -- loss of his mom and the fire academy.  She seems a little bit nervous to tell him about her "gentle firing".  I wonder how he will take it?  Will he be equally supportive?

Jason and Cortney are exactly where I thought they would be.  I think Cortney has been pretty awesome and supportive of Jason during his time of need -- loss of his mom and the fire academy.  She seems a little bit nervous to tell him about her "gentle firing".  I wonder how he will take it?  Will he be equally supportive?

Well we saw in the first series that Jason HATES debt and was very worried about Courtney bringing into their marriage student loan debt so I have a feeling that he will not take her unemployment well.   We all know that money worries is one of the leading causes of divorce so they have some work to do.  Maybe that's why she seemed so eager on social media to film again as the FYI cash might be a way for her to pay off her loans much faster.

Courtney had better tell him NOW about the job and find a new one ASAP. He is going to be MAD that she didn't tell him before he spent all that money on their 6 month anniversary celebration.

I don't think Jason paid for that night out as it seemed that it was FYI driven--give us some comps and your wine tasting venue and WESTIN hotel Presidential suite will be all over TV.  Or at least I hope that's what happened.  

• Love 3

Bah ahahahahaha Stage 5 clinger.  Seriously!  She is a total cling on and now Doug is like WOAH wait on the babies.  I hate when someone says a baby will bring us closer together.  Um, no they don't.  They make you tired, make you lose your sex drive, make it impossible to connect with your spouse.  And they make already fragile relationships break.  Clearly Jamie needs to realize that baby fever will have to wait.

• Love 6

Jamie's mom seems oblivious to how her daughter feels about her. She was so busy chirping about family get togethers, that she failed to notice her daughter glaring at her with the utmost contempt.

Edited by Adeejay
  • Love 3

I wouldn't want to reconcile with my mother either. We are estranged too and no producer would get a scene out of me with my mom. Jamie was brave and right to be pissed.

When you have mommy issues like Jamie does, it can heightened "baby fever", it sure did for me and it worked out.

• Love 3

I can see that it would make you want to be a better parent than what you had.  But this is borderline clinger with the I didn't like dude, now I LOVE dude, and I've known him 6 months and want his baby?  that is the fastest I've ever seen.  Something that annoyed me about the Jason and Courtney story line is the fire academy crap.  It's short term.  And if you can't get past the fact that it's short term and it's SO hard, you won't get through shit in life.

• Love 1

Something that annoyed me about the Jason and Courtney story line is the fire academy crap.  It's short term.  And if you can't get past the fact that it's short term and it's SO hard, you won't get through shit in life.

Yeah, I don't have first-hand experience, but I can't see that being married to a firefighter is going to be a walk in the park either!  Don't they work kind of unusual schedules/shifts  and long hours?  I mean geez, Courtney, he's coming home every night and there is a finite amount of time he'll be doing this academy thing, so let's not act like it's the hardest thing EVER. 

And y'all are probably right about Jamie's mom...she may be more interested in the cameras than in actually making up with her daughter.  But I think Jamie could put her foot down and just refuse to film stuff with her mom, so I think at least some of it is her desire to have a storyline.  

• Love 1

I totally agree on the fire academy baloney, it is finite, six months, right? That goes by QUICK in a marriage. They just have to hang in there. What's tough is a hard situation that you don't know when it will end.

I think the psychology of Jamie is very interesting.  She is a person desperate for a mother figure and a people pleaser.  I think she looks at the experts like a community mother.  They gave her the advice and guidance that she never had in life and if they say Doug is right for her, then she is going to make it work.  I wonder if her baby fever is because she thinks the baby is going to fill that void in her.  I think it was a poor decision for her to get married before she resolved the problems with her past.  However, I think Doug can be the guy to help her get over the trust issues.  I just hope she truly loves him and is not just staying with him because this would please the "experts".

Another, not so nice part of me thinks she understands the reality show game and knows a baby is a good way to prolong their fifteen minutes.  I hope this does not end with with pregnancy announcement and then a third show Married at First Sight: Getting ready for baby.

Courtney and Jason really have hit the jackpot in that they truly seem to love and care for each other.  My husband actually said that meeting Courtney probably allowed Jason's mother to spend the the last moments of her life in peace.  I think they are doing this show for the money and perhaps to promote their side careers as wrestler and makeup artist/cabaret performer.  Sometimes their scenes feel so intimate (like Jason talking about his mother) I fell bad for watching.

Yeah, the fire academy thing is the only thing about their story that annoys me.  I actually think in real life they are probably a pretty solid and good couple.  To me they both seem very wise for their ages and are very realistic about their expectations.  It is still hard for me to fathom how Jamie went from detesting Doug to LOVING Doug in 6 months.  It feels so contrived and over the top. She is smiling from ear to ear but I just don't feel like it's sincere.  When Courtney was saying she wished she was as happy as Jamie that was really telling.  I mean it makes me wonder if she too thinks it's a little much.  I really do not understand why Monet and Vaughn are even a part of this show.  It makes zero sense to me.  They didn't stay married.  And really, he's such an unlikeable human the fact that he has to suck up any of the screen time of the show annoys me.  Monet was never my favorite either.  She was always bitching about how selfish Vaughn was, but I found her behavior equally selfish.  They were two self-centered people that should never have been together.  In truth, I too wonder how legit any of this really is, and if the cameras disappear will the relationships fizzle.  I really hope that Jamie does not get pregnant because well, their marriage doesn't seem to be one that will stand the test of time.

For now, I think Jason has his head on straighter than the rest. Training to be a firefighter means he has a Plan B if his wrestling doesn't work out. Cortney seems like she wants to be famous and moved away from home to do it. Doug can't hold down a job and while Jamie is a nurse, she calls herself a TV host first on her Twitter page.

Jamie's Bachelor history indicates that she wants to get married. The guy she marries may be incidental.

I really get Jamie. We grew up under similar circumstances (except I never went on TV) and I married young to get away from my family. Not a good reason for marriage. Had two kids. Made it 18 years.

Don't consider it a failure, the marriage. When you have a big hole like Jamie's, it takes a lot of love to fill it up. Doug can do it and so can babies. It is what she wants. But of course Doug has to be on board. I don't think it will take long!

• Love 2

The way she pronounces BAY-BEEEEEs is sorta annoying. As a RN, I have lots of friends who are labor and delivery nurses, none of them say it that way. And how about saying children? or kids? Having said all that, I do wish them the best. I hope they prove all of us negative nellies wrong!

She does realize, I hope, that those BAY-BEES are also going to grow up and have minds of their own. I feel like that could be problematic for her cuz ya know, the way she first acted towards Doug. I've heard a FEW couples say "oh, we HATED each other at first!" It worked out for them and makes a good story cuz they knew each other LONG enough to either know the other more in depth or perhaps over time-with both parties maturing or changing.

• Love 1

They need to be close before they have babies in order to reach Jamie's lofty, lofty level of perfection, rme. She needs to know that it takes worse and personal growth on BOTH parts to have a genuine, healthy love. The kind she keeps blathering on about.

Psssst Jamie-fairy godmothers aren't real and you ain't no Cinderella, humble beginnings or not.

Edited by leisawoo

Just catching the last half of this & didn't see the end of last season.

That said, did I just watch Jaimie con a car out of her new in-laws?

I saw it more like Doug's parents forcing her to take the car.  They wouldn't take no for an answer.

• Love 4

I believe Jamie is sincere about her feelings and that she does love Doug.  But I think she may love the fairytale she thinks she's living right now MORE than maybe her love for Doug…I don't know.  

• Love 1

"No need for Monet and Vaugh, those two are done for a good reason."

Speak for yourself….I love seeing them and what they are doing now.

Jamie's mom seems oblivious to how her daughter feels about her. She was so busy chirping about family get togethers, that she failed to notice her daughter glaring at her with the utmost contempt.

I don't know how she could remain oblivious.  Jamie has trashed her on two shows (The Bachelor and this one).  

I think the psychology of Jamie is very interesting.  She is a person desperate for a mother figure and a people pleaser.  I think she looks at the experts like a community mother.  They gave her the advice and guidance that she never had in life and if they say Doug is right for her, then she is going to make it work.  I wonder if her baby fever is because she thinks the baby is going to fill that void in her.  I think it was a poor decision for her to get married before she resolved the problems with her past.  However, I think Doug can be the guy to help her get over the trust issues.  I just hope she truly loves him and is not just staying with him because this would please the "experts".

It was a poor decision on the part of the psychologists to put her on the show.  You know they had to see it.  She's definitely been abused emotionally and physically, and probably sexually abused too.  Is Doug really the guy that will help her?  I question Doug's motives more than I do Jamie's.  

• Love 1

Someone finally said what I am now thinking. I, too, question Doug's motives. Mr IllBeWhatYouNeed sure seems indiffererent now. And yes, 1000 times to the appalled look on his mother's face when Jaime brought up kids. I don't think her worry is all about Jamie, though. I think she may just have some doubts in her son. FFS, I know I would. He's not that mature, IMHO. Edited cuz I said thinking and it put honking, lmao. I also almost reported myself. Hey PTV, reporting is something that would/should require pause and thought. I've mentioned on other forums, please move that dang icon, lol. I don't really have sausage fingers or man hands but I'm getting a complex, lolol.

Edited by leisawoo

Poor Doug...being asked "are you saying our relationship isn't strong enough to have a baby?" is like being asked, "do you still beat your wife?" There is no way to answer it without boxing himself in and looking like a jerk. I guess it hasn't occurred to her that he waited patiently when she was working through her significant trust issues and she can't do the same while he works through his completely understandable and reasonable reluctance to spawn with someone he basically just met. That said, despite those admittedly significant issues, I like them as a couple. She genuinely seems to want to please him and for him to be happy. She likes his family, and they seem to have a good time together. I suppose there are worse things to base a marriage on.

Cortney and Jason, on the other hand, just make me sad to watch. Unlike so many other reality shows where there is so much manufactured drama, this just felt very real and raw. It reminds me of my own experiences with mr bourbon and pilot training and deployments with the USAF. I think we were invested enough in the relationship to want to stick it out and work through the difficult separations, but how invested can you be after six months of knowing each other? It was just not fun to watch.

• Love 2

I don't know. I sympathize with Cortney but also want to tell her to buck the fuck up. Jason is going through a lot of upheaval right now, but it's not forever. I wish Cortney could be strong for six measly months instead of placing additional stress on him to nurture her emotions. Go out and get another job, Cortney. Put your apartment in order, see your friends, visit your family, etc. Jason cannot be your sole support system right now. Or ever, really.

Hopefully when one person in a marriage is down, the other can take on the mantle of strength and be there to genuinely support his/her partner. I get the sense that Jason is the type of man who absolutely does intend to care for and uplift his wife, but Cortney's gotta find the wherewithal to give him a little space at the moment. Her getting mopey and insecure is not helping.

• Love 13
Go out and get another job, Cortney. Put your apartment in order, see your friends, visit your family, etc. Jason cannot be your sole support system right now. Or ever, really.

The Cortney and Jason moments feel so raw and personal.  I was a little shocked by the state of their apartment.  I have two children and a job (so does my husband) and we had our house 90 percent unpacked within a week.  It makes me wonder if both of them are suffering from a bit of depression (understandable given their situation).

I was afraid that the paycheck from the show was going to shield the audience from the harshness of financial difficulties that often put a great strain on a marriage. This would be similar to Teen Mom in which all the teenage mothers and fathers have no money worries and drive around in shiny new cars because of the earningsarrow-10x10.png from the show (I think they get paid 250K per season on that show).  This is particularly true for an expensive place like NYC. 

I do not remember the exact quote, but I laughed out loud when Doug said that Jaimie used to find him physically repulsive and now she is madly in love with him.  He said it in a way that made me think that happened to him all the time (I personally do not find him unattractive).  Well, Doug, you must be really working it in the charm department...so play on playa.

I really do not understand why it is impossible to hold off one year for the babies.  They will be more stable in their relationship and jobs, so I really do not get the problem.  I know Jamie wants them now, but one year would be a nice compromise between what they both desire. I think Doug is being responsible in not wanting to bring babies into the world until they are more secure with their relationship and finances (which is something you would think someone with Jaimie's backgroundarrow-10x10.png would appreciate).

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 6

I'm not on Jamie's side about wanting a child right away, but I am in her corner about asking. Doug seems to be doing a lot of avoiding and deflecting, but has he ever outright told her no? Use your words, Doug. Say you're not ready yet and then set a definite date to start trying to get pregnant.

On the other hand, babies don't come right away. Even if Jamie got pregnant now, they'd still have been together for, what, 18 months at that point? Not being willing to even discuss it makes Doug seem like he still has it in the back of his mind that the marriage won't last.

I can also see Jamie as the type of person who'd "forget" to use her birth control.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 3

Dude! Jason! When your Bro is telling you you should be home with your wife rather than out drinking with your friends you need to take a step back and look at your life. I get that "the academy" is hard but I really don't think the need to iron your shirt is a valid reason for not being able to talk to your wife or help her organize your home.

And also, if you guys are as broke as you talk about, maaaaaaaaybe stop eating out all the time.

• Love 6