Type keyword(s) to search

Extreme Cheapskates - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I wonder if anyone who works in Health Inspection watches this show.

Is there really a way to combine different, low-quality wines, process it and somehow produce a wine that isnt repulsive?

Yeah, what was the deal with the wine in a blender trick?

I thought the rocker lady's former hospital house was kind of cool. Lol at her poor bandmates. "I didn't make any money this week!"

• Love 2

I hope the flight attendant was fired. I work for the same airline, I could immediately tell by the uniform and the peanut packets. She violated several company policies. The first was appearing on television in uniform without company approval, which I doubt they would give for this show. The second was taking meals off the aircraft. That's not allowed because even though the leftovers are disposed of, they don't want crewmembers holding meals back from passengers. The paper pillowcases I could maybe see being ok, but the pillows and blankets should stay onboard to be reused. Taking the mixed nuts home is just gross.

• Love 4

Hey, do you know you can save even more on gum by not ever chewing any, and on lattes by not drinking any?

You can never style your hair or dye it, you can cut it yourself at home and save on these stupid wigs.

Eating once a day at the buffet?  How crazy unhealthy is this?  If you want to eat once a day, eat once a day from home, it's way cheaper.

These fakes are bad examples for us real cheapskates.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I hope the flight attendant was fired. I work for the same airline, I could immediately tell by the uniform and the peanut packets. She violated several company policies. The first was appearing on television in uniform without company approval, which I doubt they would give for this show. The second was taking meals off the aircraft. That's not allowed because even though the leftovers are disposed of, they don't want crewmembers holding meals back from passengers. The paper pillowcases I could maybe see being ok, but the pillows and blankets should stay onboard to be reused. Taking the mixed nuts home is just gross.

Thanks for weighing in on that. Now we know why there's never a pillow or blanket in the plane. Lol. Do they sell pillows at a "used" store? I always imagined they were used until someone threw up on them...because, I've seen a few that I wouldn't let my dog rest on, let alone put my head on.

• Love 1

The crazy was strong with these guys!

Somehow, I'm guessing baking soda straight from the box is NOT the same as pool chemicals. And, certainly, washing your clothes and putting garbage in your pool to displace the water must screw with the chemistry of the water. The lent in the filter, alone, would probably negate the whole experiment. I would rather my kids swim in a lake than that pool. Some kid is going to dive in a bit a sand filled bottle, thereby snapping his neck...can you extreme cheapskate a personal injury attorney?

Plastic wrap dude was delusional. Let's put a slippery substance on the steering wheel...seems legit. And, I kind of want to see what happens when his space heater sets his bed on fire or the carbon monoxide overwhelms the tiny, closet bedroom. Think he can get out a four inch crack in the door? I was waiting for the Farmers Insurance guy to walk through as part of those training commercials for home safety.

I am sorry but those finger sandwiches and twinkie desserts so trashy. My nine year old could do better. The hair in the couch just screamed I'm a psycho serial killer, yuck! And I would be hella pissed if someone put a kitty litter mask on my face!

• Love 1

I bet the sporting goods store manager was so relieved crazy lady bought a bike and wont be stopping by for free exercise sessions again!

Like many I could probably do more to save by changing my spending habits a little. But these people are just bat shit crzay!

• Love 1

Okay after watching I can see why this guy gets a whole episode to himself. How has this guy not been involuntarily committed, he is seriously messed up. His poor ex wife he has given her anxiety issues.

His living situation is an illness or accident waiting to happen. Sauna soup and expired foods cannot be safe. And that plastic all over the house one good slip and he could have a neck or head injury. I might not be the sanest person in the world but there is definitely something off with him.

Edited by Texasmom1970
  • Love 2

The band chick is nuts I have never spent any where near her estimate of $100 to $200 per year on feminine hygiene products. I do not know what kind of awful periods she has and don't wanna know.

Cheap cooking guy. I don't know what disturbed me more him serving trash lobster or telling us he did not own any socks or underwear eww!

• Love 3

This was a funny episode.  I cracked up when she had her son get one of those internet church licenses, so he could do the ceremony.
And weren't the wedding rings, class rings?
Loved too, that the wedding party hummed the Bridal March.
The bartender kid, I'd think that he could catch things from other folks drink leavings, even though it's alcohol.
I'd love to know how his new place is working out, and if he got the smell out.

• Love 2

"Funeral Tracking"?  "Bone Picking" is more like it.  I can't believe (1) that this is for real and (2) if it is, that someone hasn't punched her lights out.

I recorded this ep because the vulture, er, "estate settling assistant", was shown on the Soup.  Deleted it when the first commercial came on.

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 1

You know those fancy jars of scented oil with bamboo sticks?

Pour some spent motor oil in a styrofoam cup and put some popsicle sticks in.  Now your bathroom can be infused with the nostalgic fragrance of gas station toilets!

Thank you for the tip, toaster.  Just popsicle sticks you say. Hmm.

• Love 2

I save all the condiments packets I get, so when I'm out of tar-tar or soy sauce, I have it in the bottom of the fridge, but I don't get to-go stuff just for the free ketchup-that would make no sense. 

If you spend $200 on tampons and pads, you're doing it wrong. The problem with sock pads is that you don't know if it got washed in hot or cold water. If it wasn't washed in hot, with bleach, you're gunning to get a yeast infection or other fungal coochie disease. And, I'm sorry, but socks belong on feet...not absorbing your menses.

Cheap cooking guy is bonkers. I'm not sure how he can actually charge for, or legally teach, a class in a commercial kitchen, using scavenged food. The shellfish alone was disgusting. The recycled wine was scary! How do you know if someone roofie'd the contents or drank straight from the bottle, thereby exposing everyone to herpes or worse? It's just stupid.

The kitty litter has to be a set up. I can't imagine anyone actually believing that that's the same as a face mask. Especially a beautician. For one thing, CLAY facemasks utilize a very finely ground product. Kitty Litter has chemicals and odor neutralizers that could damage, rather than tone and exfoliate.

Also, you can get Mane and Tale at Wal-Mart. Are we supposed to believe that those selflessly clean, perfectly faced bottles were sitting on a shelf on a working farm?

Edited by wanderwoman

Did the cheap model lady think she could save a ton by using a razor instead of getting her legs waxed? Also her hair looked the same after she had the clip on extebsions put in, why bother. She could have dpentsrspl that money on a nice evening out with her husband.

Watching this show is addictive these people are so nuts it is scary and entertaining!

Her behavior was pretty disgusting in my opinion.

Since I had nothing else better to do I did watch her episode. I thought what she did was disgusting as well. Shame on her for taking clothes from strangers dead relatives who are grieving

• Love 1

I have to say that even though i felt sorry for the kids, this episode didn't make me as angry as other episodes due to the fact that both spouses are equally as cheap and neither resent's the other's cheapness. I didn't even bother watching the bartender.

• Love 1

If you are so cheap you only want to pay for a one hour horse ride then for the love of Pete let your children share it. As a parent I would want my children to enjoy the horses. But then again I am not ridiculous like these people! And damn just sleep in your car instead of harassing the poor lady about bunk beds!

A man who cooks you a meal on his car engine how romantic. And gives you an empty ring box with a receipt oh yeah he's a keeper, just wait until you have the ring in hand.

The two college students while in the bar looked like they just rolled out of bed. Their hair looked unbrushed and don't even get me started on those ugly print McHammer pants they were wearing.

• Love 1

Regarding the lady storing her gum in a pill container in the nearly empty freezer, hasn't anyone told her that cooling a near empty freezer is more costly than cooling a full freezer? She should fill the freezer with water bottles if she doesn't store food there.

• Love 3

In addition to how foul and dangerous it was to be using garbage wine and garbage lobsters, I also thought it was pretty wrong of that dude the way he dumped all the wine into a Franzia box, gave it to his "students," and only told them after they drank it that was people's discarded leftovers. And why did none of the students ask why he had a bunch of empty lobster shells, but no lobster meat? That "class" was such a set-up, which is the only thing making me less outraged about it. 

• Love 2

This may have been one of the more impressive episodes for me. First of all, the family at the Dude Ranch. I didn't understand the cabin haggling. The owner said she didn't rent out partial cabins, but then it skipped to them haggling for just a single bunk bed. Huh? Why would using only one bed in a room merit a discount? They're still taking up space that could be rented by an actual PAYING customer.

The Vegas mom was terribly embarrassing. Vegas is definitely a place where people don't give a shit about haggling, they're just going to turn you down. It was kind of funny.

The college BFFs were just creepy. They were making everyone so uncomfortable with their odd questions! lol at the bartender who made them pay.

When your providing a "service" I'll call you if I need/want you... If you come to my house soliciting that service, There is no way In hell I would let you in.

When people are mourning... Generally they are not ready to just give away belongings days after the person has died, that is rude and distasteful to not only stalk these poor people but be so persistant... Although I don't agree on any level, at least just ask once and if the person declines back down, don't push the issue.

Edited by leighroda
  • Love 1

Forgive me because this is actually a general comment, although it does apply to this episode. It makes me so angry when these cheapskates serve food or otherwise subject unsuspecting friends to their cheap ways, only to later reveal what they did and be like "ha, see it's not that bad" granted it has to be highly producer set up because I can't imaging that out of all those people in the cooking class not one was outraged (as I would be). It's one thing to be cheap (you can read that as disgusting)on yourself, it's more of a "to each their own" situation, but when they bring others into it by serving these things to other people that is just wrong. A while back there was an episode of a woman who dumpster dive outside of a "upscale" (she kept saying that because it made it better) for thrown out prepared foods, then had some friends over and served them that food thinking it would be ok because she heated it to kill bacteria (ps bacteria is not all you should be concerned about... Hence why they throw the food away).

I agree with what some people said, I am curious to learn maybe some cost saving measures, but these things are downright dangerous.

Also, one last thing... I hate it when the EC's always say how dumb it is to pay full price for things... Let me know how dumb it is when your in the hospital with c. Diff

• Love 3

This episode is another example of not being frugal but stealing. People like those girls at the bar are why buffets and happy hours have to come with a list of disclaimers the size of a phone book. That's just rude the bartender is trying to make a living... I always cringe when I see these people in restaurants because you know they are tipping very little, if at all. (Hopefully production throw them a few dollars). That was actually a good deal without being so cheap as to only order 1 drink.

I don't understand the Vegas trip, If I were the girl I would have refused to get, let alone invite a friend. Vega is one of THE most expensive places, and not exactly the best place to go for teens.

Edited because when I said "I hope production throws them a few dollars" I accidentally said "daughters" and THAT would be a whoooolllleeee other issue.

Edited by leighroda
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

lol... Thanks! I actually don't drink coffee... Who knew I was a little saver. Now, if I could brew dr. Pepper...

That's terrific news! You are already ahead of the game! I guess the only thing I can suggest is to only buy Dr Pepper in the big liter bottles, rather than individual cans or bottles from a vending machine or convenience stores. It would be a slight savings that might add up to something substantial!
  • Love 2

Loved the Christmas show, especially the one who snitched favorite things from family members during the year, then gave them back, because "you know they'll be happy to get them."

I can see my 10-year old nephew being inspired to do this.

• Love 1

This whole series, but especially this episode, screams to me that these people are penny wise and pound foolish. You don't have to haggle with business owners to get a cheap price on busted decorations, or steal them from the trash. By the beginning of January Christmas decorations are very cheap as stores try to clear the merchandise, and if you take care of them you won't have to go out and get more broken decorations the next year. For that $20 box of broken items, she could have gotten at least that much if not more for the same price, all new and in working order

The one who steals everyone's stuff during the year only to expect them to be grateful when they get it back, I don't know how her family puts up with her. I suppose they're just so used to it that it doesn't bother them as much but she is a terrible person. I could see a young child doing something like that, but a grown woman? SMH

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I wonder about the people who throw Xmas parties and then give out really cheap gifts. Like the women who gave the free things that she got on her travels. Like the coffee cups and water bottles. Did the people that she invited to her party bring her nice gifts?

• Love 1

Forgive me because this is actually a general comment, although it does apply to this episode. It makes me so angry when these cheapskates serve food or otherwise subject unsuspecting friends to their cheap ways, only to later reveal what they did and be like "ha, see it's not that bad" granted it has to be highly producer set up because I can't imaging that out of all those people in the cooking class not one was outraged (as I would be). It's one thing to be cheap (you can read that as disgusting)on yourself, it's more of a "to each their own" situation, but when they bring others into it by serving these things to other people that is just wrong. A while back there was an episode of a woman who dumpster dive outside of a "upscale" (she kept saying that because it made it better) for thrown out prepared foods, then had some friends over and served them that food thinking it would be ok because she heated it to kill bacteria (ps bacteria is not all you should be concerned about... Hence why they throw the food away).

I agree with what some people said, I am curious to learn maybe some cost saving measures, but these things are downright dangerous.

Also, one last thing... I hate it when the EC's always say how dumb it is to pay full price for things... Let me know how dumb it is when your in the hospital with c. Diff

i'm with you Leighroda, I like hearing cost cutting measures as well.  It is good for my pocketbook and the environment.

These people fall in the penny wise, pound foolish category, in that how much are you really saving??

• Love 1

Oh, I wish I had known it was on.  Truth be told, in the lean years I've re-gifted things. If I thought someone would like something I got for free. I would probably just give it to them, but if times were tight....

Also, what is the etiquette when you give someone a present you really like but know they don't use it. Is it OK to ask for it back??  I think I know the answer but I realllly liked the present.!

• Love 1