Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Selina Kyle

Trini
  • Start Topic

I loved it. Yup, definitely sold on this series.

The children playing both Bruce and Selina are fantastic and this episode served them really well too.

Bruce testing himself was interesting. Wanting to help other kids was wonderful as well. The scenes with him, Gordon and Alfred were fantastic.

Selina is bloody fantastic. I think she's becoming my favourite character as well. She scratched that guy's eyes and probably could've taken out Patti if Gordon hadn't showed up either.

The child snatching plot was effective enough - Patti and Doug being horrible but interesting enough guest baddies. The Dall Maker thing will probably resurface later on as well.

Loving the dynamic with Gordon and Bullock in this episode. Not sure about Essen and Mayor Kind either but they're interesting enough.

Great scenes with Fish and Falcone as well. He certainly doesn't take betrayal very well, does he?

Not enough of Renee, Barbara, Crispus or Nygma but that's fine for now.

Oswald killing one jock and kidnapping the other. Yup, he's definitely dangeous. Loved his mother though, 8/10

• Love 1
Guest Accused Dingo

This is just my theory from my two episode interpretaon (so i could be wrong). I think the purist and people who read the comics arent really going to be happy on how the Waynes are portrayed. I think The really wealthy, the major crime familys, and the police all had an understanding. There are things you just dont do Kill cop. Kill the waynes. Etc. Now that the Waynes have been murdered the old rules are gone.

Edited by Accused Dingo
  • Love 5

To add, I found the dialog still isn't all the great and the Bruce stuff seemed shoehorned in.  I liked seeing Oswald's Mom but Montoya and Allan we're a waste here.  On top of that I wasn't really feeling the case of the week and there was so little detective work.  I'm not really finding the whole "before Batman" angle all that compelling.  So seeing the origins of half a dozen Batman characters each week isn't doing it for me.  Especially since this show isn't an Origin as so much is actually different.

Good to know I'm not the only one who feels this way. I'd rather they show how crappy and lawless Gotham was, but without introducing almost every villain Batman will battle in the future. Seriously, Bruce Wayne is still a kid in this series. Other than Catwoman and Poison Ivy the remaining bad guys are 10 to 30 years older than he. In other words, no wonder Batman is able to kick their butts----they're about to collect Social Security retirement benefits!

• Love 9

I may be in the minority here but I really wasn't feeling the catwoman.....er catgirl here.  I guess the precious, sassy 12-year-old girl has just been done so much it's kinda meh to me.  More Oswald and his looney mother (LOVED HER!) please. 

• Love 4

Robin Lord-Taylor is fantastic.  And yeah Oswald is right now my top pick as to who ordered the hit on the Waynes.

Nigma in a short scene continued to be creepy.  So props go to that actor as well.

Through 2 episodes I really can't find anything wrong.

• Love 1

I may be in the minority here but I really wasn't feeling the catwoman.....er catgirl here.  I guess the precious, sassy 12-year-old girl has just been done so much it's kinda meh to me.  More Oswald and his looney mother (LOVED HER!) please. 

I think they need to tone her down in the sense that they shouldn't feature her nor Bruce Wayne in every single episode (the season's young so there's hope this will happen). I realize you need to suspend reality with tv, particularly this genre, but if these two keep interacting with Gordon I'll find it hard to believe Selina Kyle grows up to become a villain and Bruce Wayne grows up to be a mask-wearing-cape-wearing-secret-identity-hiding crime fighter.

Bruno Heller should study how ITV is doing the Inspector Morse/Inspector Lewis prequel series, Endeavour. ITV has maybe 4 or 5 episodes per season, compared to the 20+ episode seasons in the US. Yet, they aren't as rushed to introduce or to cameo future characters.

ETA,

Oswald's momma is played by Carol Kane. Great comedic actress, imo. Loved her as Simka on Taxi ( she and Andy Kauffman made Taxi watchable for me.)

Edited by Milz
  • Love 1
Are we supposed to feel bad for Oswald? He seems so . . . I dunno, earnest in his endeavors. It's not his fault nobody cooperates with him. And we'd all be walking like penguins if we had to swim in a river. I did like Carol Kane as Ma Cobblepot . . . didn't she play the same role in Batman Returns, or am I wrong? Oh, and I'm still prone to going "wak-wak-wak" anytime I see him.

This is driving me nuts. I said the same thing to the hubby last night.  "Hey! How cool they got Carol Kane to reprise her role as The Penguin's Mom!"

...and yet. I find nothing on the internet backing this up.  I could have sworn she played this role before.

• Love 1

I found myself actually enjoying this episode.  It wasn't as heavy handed as last week's episode.  As usual I disagree with a lot of people, but mostly in two things:  1) I find Catween hard to look at.  She just looks weird to me - like that monster girl in the movie Splice.  The cat eyes disturb and distract me to the point that I am not receptive of her story. 2) I actually liked Fish in this episode.  Last week I found Jada's overacting off-putting, but this week I thought there was nuance it.  I liked how, when they attacked her boy toy, her eyes reddened and welled but no tears fell.  There was a whole story in that one interchange about dominance and power and playing chess for keeps.  I thought it was intriguing.  Penguin is sufficiently menacing.  He's a loser but I don't recommend teasing him.

This is driving me nuts. I said the same thing to the hubby last night.  "Hey! How cool they got Carol Kane to reprise her role as The Penguin's Mom!"

...and yet. I find nothing on the internet backing this up.  I could have sworn she played this role before.

If you mean did she play this role in Tim Burton's batman returns movie no-- a lady named Diane Salinger was Oswald's mom and Paul Reubens...aka Pee Wee Herman (!!) as his dad according to the IMDB. 

Interesting that Dollmaker was already on Arrow, where he kidnapped Laurel Lance (and, sadly, failed to kill her). I find it kinda baffling what does he want with a whole bus of children. To mass-produce doll-like corpses? Or is he something like Jeffrey Dahmer here, with intent to mass-produce a bunch of lobotomized victims (probably not, it'd be too dark for a network)?

Edited by Artesia
  • Love 1

Interesting that Dollmaker was already on Arrow, where he kidnapped Laurel Lance (and, sadly, failed to kill her). I find it kinda baffling what does he want with a whole bus of children. To mass-produce doll-like corpses? Or is he something like Jeffrey Dahmer here, with intent to mass-produce a lobotomized victims (probably not, it'd be too dark for a network)?

Nothing is too dark for network television anymore. Not relating to violence anyway. I mean NBC turned Hannibal into a tv show. I think Fox could get away with such a storyline on Gotham. 

Nothing is too dark for network television anymore. Not relating to violence anyway. I mean NBC turned Hannibal into a tv show. I think Fox could get away with such a storyline on Gotham. 

Well, true, but I haven't seen a really dark show on Fox. Well, except for Millennium, but it was a long time ago. I can't say that I'm a regular viewer though, so I could've missed something. 

Edited by Artesia

I think this is the first universe where I feel Alfred could BE Batman.

Well, he is the son of a Doctor. :)

@Actionmage totally forgot about Ed. the second i saw him tonight i was struck by how much he reminded me a bit of Carey, but in a more dialed down and creepier way. i kind of feel sorry for him, i know what it likes being really bad when it comes to face to face human interaction and this guy is bad (even more than what i used to be), so i wonder what his family is like..

oh and mama penguin.. yea i can understand why the kid came out the way he did.

I'm reminded of Cillian Murphy when I see Ed, and yes, I know he played a different Batman villain. A girl can wish....

Always love some Carol Kane. This episode was a gift of talented actors that I don't see enough of. Lili's mild bursts of, "Oh, shoot," or "darn" cracked me up. She kept it all so... bland, it was perfect.

I'm looking forward to see where the show takes us next.

• Love 1

I was really looking forward to this show, all the more since I was frustrated in my attempts to watch the premiere (no cable last week and constant errors on CTV online)  I was a bit concerned my expectations might be too high but I really liked the episode.  I thought it had a good blend of darkness, menace and humour.

I really enjoyed The Penguin.  The actor's body language is dead-on and he makes it look organic rather than forced.  I loved his phone conversation with his hostage's mother, from trying to convince her he was deadly serious to his mocking "you're a scamp" to the victim afterward.  I felt trepidation for the kid too because there's coldness under the humour, and Robin Lord-Taylor nails it.  I'm really impressed.  As I was with the casting of Carol Kane.  She's been playing a variant on that role for my entire life and I never get tired of watching her.

I also thought Jada Pinkett was awesome.  She's really the only one who acts like the source materials are graphic novels and I enjoy that about her.  I loved her line about the boy she keeps around for exercise and I liked that she tolerated his beating without a flinch but I could still tell she didn't like it.  She didn't want him hurt but, more to the point, it disrespected her.  She and Falcone made excellent frenemies; I wouldn't turn my back on either of them.

I really liked the casual corruption of the Gotham police force too.  It's not presented as a big deal, but the way things are.  The patrol officer not guarding the dead body because the restaurant paid him was jarring, but Bullock just accepted it.  It really showed me how Gotham works.

• Love 4

It finally dawned on me that Catween's hair here mimics Michelle Pfeiffer's hair in Batman Returns when she "became" Catwoman.  She's got spunk. 

Not only the hair.  She looks a lot like Pfeiffer in Batman Returns.  It's actually a bit disturbing.  It's like someone put the head of a 26 year old woman on a 14 year old's body.

Is this show taking place like 10 years ago? There's a conspicuous lack of smartphones.

I think the show is being coy about the time period.  You'll see some modern things but it doesn't feel like it's present day.  For instance, Gordon and Bullock's car looks like its from the 80s.

I still think the dialogue needs work (really gets into clunky and awkward territory at times), and I still think they're trying to find the right balance between camp and grit, since I did find it jarring at times.  But, I still will be patient with it, because there is still stuff I like about it.

I mentioned on another forum, that they're going for Tim Burton Batman vibe.  Dark yet quirky.  It's not quite working for me, but I can see why they chose that route.  Too gritty, too real and it's just another police drama.  Go too campy or comic booky and you turn off those who refuse to watch a genre show.

Liked this episode. The mayor looks to be in cahoots with the child snatchers. 

I doubt it.  He seemed to be genuinely pissed that they handed over a bus full of kids to the child snatchers.  Now, he didn't really give a damn about the kids but he knew he would be on the hot seat because it was his plan to round up the kids and ship them off.  It would've been political suicide to announce his plan and then have the kids kidnapped anyway. 

True dat.  The level of gore on network tv pretty much rivals anything I've seen in a rated R movie.  Funny, that nudity still makes the network censors skittish.

Edited by maczero
  • Love 4

I want to mention that I might be tempted to a life of crime if I could stay in that headquarters! All that lovely wood and the style? *sigh* Our guys get that lovely round area to sit and snark on each other. They are just steps from what has to be one of the nicest sets of police offices. Was it supposed to have been a church at one point? I ask because there is that big window that allows the wonderfully mood-enhancing shafts of light to shine on the cops just doin' their jobs ( or not, as the case may be.)

Thank you, Gotham Set Department! You all rock! (I would like to see more of Barbara's apartment and Fish's actual living space, but I'm happy with GCPD HQ right now.)

I have already mentioned they upped the body count for this ep, and I loved it. But let me 2nd all the posters who have mentioned the gritty factor. How low, or gritty, can they go? I hope drop it like its hot, low. I want to see down and dirr-tty. There's a way to pay respect to the source material, be campy, and still "take it there". I think this ep was a start.

Okay..since they are telegraphing (well if telegraphs are sent with anvils) all of the potential villains, have we previously met the kid that Chester kidnapped? After all, his own mother thinks the whole thing is a JOKE and he is apparently such a scamp that his mother doesn't want him back. There was a standup comedian in Fish's club in episode 1 that people were predicting would be the Joker, but could that have been this kid? I don't have the episode saved, so i can't check and this kid was hard to see. But maybe, since the Penguin can't ransom the kid, and seems intrigued that he isn't a boy scout, he might just induct him into a life of crime.

Okay..I did some checking and realized that Chester's hostage is one of the two kids who had been in the car that picked him up hitchhiking. Not the same person as the stand up comedian. But they were definitely Joker material.

Edited by Jodithgrace
  • Love 1

Maybe someone should start a Jokerwatch (why so mysterious?)thread because his identity will likely be a recurring question throughout the series.

I forgot where I saw this but I read one article that mentioned that the writers would be throwing in all sorts of clues/red herrings all season in relation to the Joker and that the comedian we saw in the pilot auditioning for Mooney might have been one such red herring but they have no plans to actually introduce the Joker anytime soon. If at all. 

Edited by Turkish

Somebody lieeeed to me, because all the promotional press I read touted this show as a dark, gritty and realistic look at the underbelly of Gotham. There was no mention of camp or ham-fisted dialogue. Why doesn't the director reign in Jada Pinket and Donal Logue's performances?

That being said, this episode was an improvement over the pilot which was far too crammed.

I have this nagging feeling that there is no grand scheme in place and the producers are kind of making up the plot as they go along.

• Love 2
I really liked the casual corruption of the Gotham police force too.  It's not presented as a big deal, but the way things are.  The patrol officer not guarding the dead body because the restaurant paid him was jarring, but Bullock just accepted it.  It really showed me how Gotham works.

I do find that kind of interesting as well, where Gordon's boss cared more about keeping the kidnapping from the press than about finding who the kidnappers were.  She also seemed to condone Bullock's approach with threatening to beat that kid at the beginning of the episode.  

I liked this episode a lot more than the first one.  Although some of the characters don't get too many scenes (Fish Mooney, Falcone, Bruce, etc.), the scenes they do have leave an impact.  It was strange how the first half of the episode had a bunch of characters who did not appear in the second half.  And the title of the episode was Selena Kyle, but she didn't really become the focus until the second half.  It's such a weird way of structuring an episode.  

The characters which left the least impression were Barbara and the two special crimes unit detectives.  Hopefully, they will get more play in the next episode since I don't feel like I know them at all.

I'm not a huge fan of violence, so there were a few too many deaths for my tastes.  Though at least most of the victims weren't completely innocent unlike that fisherman in the last episode.  

Selena's voice is a little strange, and her acting isn't as strong but her character is interesting since she looks so unique.  I like how quiet she was escaping the school bus.

The kid who played Bruce did a good job in this episode, and I do find him a weird mixture since he is so angry and disturbed but he talks to Gordon so formally and almost like an adult.  There are some potentially intriguing interactions and that's what I find most attractive about this show.

The crime of the week was decent, since they were able to incorporate so many characters in a meaningful way while revealing more of their motivations and the mythology, while at the same time keeping that one-off story afloat.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

Those of you thinking of Carol Kane in Batman Returns may be thinking of The Poodle Lady:

The_Poodle_Lady_HQ.jpg

I'll give TPTB credit for their approach to the Bruce-Alfred relationship, because no one (AFAIK) has really tried to connect the dots and show how Bruce got to be the guy who decides that being Batman is a good idea (I understand the "spend my life warring on criminals" part, it's how he gets to "... as an anonymous vigilante" that really hasn't been explored).  And I've been saying for ages on here that I think Camren Bicondova (Catween) has serious breakout potential.  Her dance background already seems to make her an outstanding physical actress.

• Love 2

I love Jada's portrayal. She's just as dangerous and respected as her male counterparts, and she's doing an amazing job of showing that. I think The juxtaposition between her glamorous, wealthy, ultra feminine (sometimes overtly sexual) facade, and the seedy criminal JUST seeping through under the surface is fascinating. The scene with her and Falcone was brilliant.

I love when she talked about the guy she keeps around for "exercise".

• Love 1

I'm still liking Ben Mackenzie as James Gordon.  He and the guy who plays his bad cop partner, Bullock, really work well together and against each other.

I'm also impressed by the kids, Bruce and Selina.  I was surprised to learn that Selina is only 13 - she's got a very adult-looking face.  She reminds me of Milla Jovovich.  Bruce has a very shadowed, mournful face.

I'm also impressed by the kids, Bruce and Selina.  I was surprised to learn that Selina is only 13 - she's got a very adult-looking face.  She reminds me of Milla Jovovich.  Bruce has a very shadowed, mournful face.

Only in America do we have 30 year olds playing 16 and 15/16 year olds playing 13.

I'm waiting to see if we're going to see Catween do some more physical stuff since the actress is a dancer. I know she can't do much being a child actor but I'd like to see her do some more cat like movements and not just posing. 

I loved that young Bruce suddenly appeared behind Alfred. It's nice seeing him practicing what will be his signature move.

Edited by Sakura12

I'm waiting to see if we're going to see Catween do some more physical stuff since the actress is a dancer. I know she can't do much being a child actor but I'd like to see her do some more cat like movements and not just posing.

I hope so too. I read an interview with her where she states that she can do the majority of the physical stunts and even took some parkour classes for the role but the producers will legally only allow her to do so much because of her age. 

Edited by Turkish

Goodness, Jada/Fish, must you say Everything So Dramatically!? Yeah, she seems to be channeling Eartha Kitt. But I'm not hating it so far. Speaking of Fish, it looks like half the wardrobe budget is going to her dresses --while everyone else is in black, gray, and muted tones. She looks great.

I wanna like this show and at times I really do, but damn Jada...you are ruining it for me.  She overacts every damn thing that she says.  When the O.C. kid is acting in circles around you, it's a problem.  All in all, I love the cast, but just went they went a different way since Jada is totally not doing it for me. 

Lili Taylor!!!! {{{{{{LOVE}}}}}}

She's one of my favs ever and have basically loved everything she's ever done.  I think she played the role perfectly...with enough creep and comedy for the role.  

• Love 1
Fox doesn't have a "family hour"

I don't know why I laughed so hard at this. I guess the network just seems like the odd, and rebellious, one out.

I missed any references to a dollmaker :( 

It was a really quick reference when loading up the kids in the cargo container. I only paid attention to the line because of Arrow.

I have this nagging feeling that there is no grand scheme in place and the producers are kind of making up the plot as they go along.

This is Bruno Heller's show, those who watched the Mentalist knows that he is making it up as he goes along. He said in his first show that there was a grand scheme, but it became clear that there wasn't or he just discarded it.

Edited by Lisin
Fixed quotes
  • Love 1

I enjoyed this episode more than the pilot.  More focus.  Still loving Jada Pinkett Smith.  Yes, she's over the top and campy, but I think the character is written that way.

I do wonder, is this supposed to be set in the same universe as Arrow?  Batman is a kid here, and he should be about the same age or older than Oliver Queen I think.  The Dollmaker was already on Arrow.  It'd be interesting if he showed up here.  I know one show is CW and one is Fox, but both shows are produced by the same production companies, DC Entertainment and Warner Brothers.

I expect that the season finale will end with a reveal of the Joker.

Did anyone else wonder if Patti and Doug weren't actually lying about being part of "the Mayor's Youth Outreach program" and that, despite his protestations, the Mayor was actually behind the kidnapping scheme, or at least tacitly supported it to some degree (I mean more than the just the part about diverting all the "petty criminals" to juvie).

• Love 1

I know one show is CW and one is Fox, but both shows are produced by the same production companies, DC Entertainment and Warner Brothers.

But not the same production team/showrunners so probably different universes.

I do wonder, is this supposed to be set in the same universe as Arrow?  Batman is a kid here, and he should be about the same age or older than Oliver Queen I think.  The Dollmaker was already on Arrow.  It'd be interesting if he showed up here.  I know one show is CW and one is Fox, but both shows are produced by the same production companies, DC Entertainment and Warner Brothers.

This is probably set in two different universes. It has to be. It wouldn't make sense for one of the founding members of the Justice League to be in the 7th grade while his colleagues Green Arrow, Flash and Black Canary are grown adults already out there fighting crime in their own ridiculous costumes. I can pretend this is a prequel if need be but I don't want them set in the same time periods. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I do wonder, is this supposed to be set in the same universe as Arrow?

I don't think so. Although, it would make sense that both might have a few things in common, since both shows draw story ideas from the comics universe.

Also, I read on another forum that there was a Green Arrow easter egg in the episode: a quick shot of the Queen Consolidated logo on a building.

-----------

I keep coming back to the silly, "no psychiatrists" line. Really, Alfred? Not even some faith-based grief counseling, or something?

Edited by Trini

This is Bruno Heller's show, those who watched the Mentalist knows that he is making it up as he goes along. He said in his first show that there was a grand scheme, but it became clear that there wasn't or he just discarded it.

Heh-- I'm not going to get into what happened to The Mentalist, but Heller has said that at least first season of Gotham is mapped out. And what makes this different from the typical procedural, is that there is an eventual endpoint (Batman). Also I expect that there's a consultant from DC Entertainment nearby to help him stick with some version of the mythology.

I totally understand the concerns, though.

Heh-- I'm not going to get into what happened to The Mentalist, but Heller has said that at least first season of Gotham is mapped out. And what makes this different from the typical procedural, is that there is an eventual endpoint (Batman). Also I expect that there's a consultant from DC Entertainment nearby to help him stick with some version of the mythology.

I totally understand the concerns, though.

I think it also helps that unlike The Mentalist, they have a wealth of source material already available to pull from when it comes to mapping out storylines. Batman has been around for 50 years. Their are so many characters and storylines they can pull from that much history if they are too lazy and unimaginative to come up with stuff of their own. And yes I'm sure their is someone from DC there consulting on the show to help them out as well.

Two episodes down, and I'm still liking the show. That could change easily enough, but I'm generally okay with the story, actors, etc. I'm not a big comic book show fan, but I am a big Ben McKenzie fan, and I'll stick with the show because he's on it for a while. I thought the writers missed good chances to offer fans a shout out in Episode 1-1 when he appeared in a wifebeater T-shirt and again when it was revealed that his father had been a great lawyer. Oh well. My only nitpick on tonight's episode was that Selina didn't seem to have any blood on her hands at all just moments after clawing a guy's eyes out. Or did I just miss that? 

Edited by Old House Nut

It's not bad, it's just not terribly exciting either. I'm hoping I get more attached to some of the characters, at this point, no one really sticks out.

Well, maybe Penguin, pardon Mr Cobblepot. Although, neither being familiar with the comics nor being a native English speaker, I'm wondering, am I missing a joke about his name?

I think it also helps that unlike The Mentalist, they have a wealth of source material already available to pull from when it comes to mapping out storylines. Batman has been around for 50 years. Their are so many characters and storylines they can pull from that much history if they are too lazy and unimaginative to come up with stuff of their own. And yes I'm sure their is someone from DC there consulting on the show to help them out as well.

I hope that is the plan. The comics and DC should limit how much they can mess up. After all, they cannot kill off any of the comic villains or have them act too out of character. 

Gotta say, I really enjoy how this is developing. Everybody's got their own layers and their own niches and it all blends in quite nicely. Furthermore, while some characters can be idealistic- most of all Gordon- no one seems "right": the show does a wonderful job pointing out that, in reality, there is no "correct" approach to go about things. Sure, sending the kids to juvenile detention doesn't seem right- but what else was the Mayor to do? Send them back to the streets?

The only thing I'm not digging right now is the Major Crimes storyline...I get that they'd likely get involved after Oswald Cobblepot "dies", but I don't like the "bad guys" vibe they're delivering. The way the show is going, they don't need "visible" enemies- the city's already believable enough.

Good to know I'm not the only one who feels this way. I'd rather they show how crappy and lawless Gotham was, but without introducing almost every villain Batman will battle in the future. Seriously, Bruce Wayne is still a kid in this series. Other than Catwoman and Poison Ivy the remaining bad guys are 10 to 30 years older than he. In other words, no wonder Batman is able to kick their butts----they're about to collect Social Security retirement benefits!

Bruce is about 12 to 14 years. The Joker and Penguin are in their twenties. When Bruce becomes Batman at 25 years old, about 10 years from now, you really think that The Joker and Penguin in their thirties are somehow too old and decrepit to fight? You could make the argument with Falcone although I don't remember Batman actually physically fighting him in comics.

Edited by SimoneS

Well, maybe Penguin, pardon Mr Cobblepot. Although, neither being familiar with the comics nor being a native English speaker, I'm wondering, am I missing a joke about his name?

After some quick googling, no, there's no joke about his name. His comic version is supposed to be descended from a high society family.

The closed captioning had Ozzie's mom correcting the pronunciation of the name as "Kapelput" (Kah-pull-put).  "Cobblepot" must be an Americanised pronunciation.

Very Germanic. i can see them being members of the Austro-Hungarian or Prussian aristocracy who fell from from grace and fortune. all of which helps explain mama penguin clothing a bit better.

@sakura yep although i can be fine with 15 playing 13 (i'm 28 and i look anywhere between 16 to 25 depending on what i am wearing, make-up, hours of sleep, and the person guessing). but yea 30 going on 16 is annoying at best. god i miss the 90's when teenagers on TV were teenagers or very very early 20's.