Type keyword(s) to search

Online Cable Alternatives

• Start Topic

I'll also chime in and say that I am on month 3 of my DirectvNow. I got the free AppleTV with the 3 month prepay. As was previously stated, it was rough at first. Lots of pixelating and stalling. It's still not perfect. For example, NatGeoWild doesn't even provide the current shows in the evenings on the Guide. They look to be more like placeholders. Pissed me off, because I always watch Dr. Pol, and his show does not show up! I chatted with DTVN, and they said that it was up to the separate channels as to what comes up on the Guide. 

I cut the DTV cord when my bill crept up to $120 a month. First tried Sling and Hulu - not enough of the content I watch. Then did a trial for Amazon - nada. Finally, I heard that the $35 a month DTVN plan was going to expire soon (this was back in Dec., i checked and it's still running), so I noted all of my favorite shows/channels, and they had every single one of the ones I watched on DTVN! Well, except for CBS and PBS - I use an OTA antenna for those, and that's free. I also added HBO to the package for $5 a month, now that clinched the deal! 

The only thing I really really miss is a DVR. Loved the ability to bypass commercials, which is a big deal to me, hate 'em. Now, I mute them, not really as good, but oh well. I read that DTVN is working on cloud capability, so there's that. Also, not all of the "Go" apps can be found on all platforms. Example, you can watch NatGeoGo on Roku (I have one of them too), but not on AppleTV. 

Anyway, glad I cut the cord! It's nice to only pay 1/3 of what you paid before with a dish and not lose content.

Edited by peaceknit

I've just taken out a Direct TV Now account for $35 a month as of last night.  I was happy to see that the basic plan has TCM along with almost all the other channels I would want to watch (I do get all the networks over the air although PBS is tricky - but they have a Roku channel I believe).  I haven't canceled my cable yet but with Spectrum taking over for Time Warner in NYC I am afraid that the day will come when their price will skyrocket, and so I decided to try the Direct TV Now and get in on the ground floor.  Provided they  bring in the DVR or "72 Hour Replay" as they call it I do think it will be promising.  I did notice some slight audio sync issues the first night but it's early yet.   I'm using a Chromecast  (which I bought to cast video/broadcast websites to my TV) and it handles it well overall.

Edited by roseha

I did it!  I quit cable!  The price of cable was just pissing me off and when I was laid-off it had to go.  I noticed that except for me, my brother and sister, no one else had cable.  I did a bit of research and found out, in my opinion, cable is dying.  If you look at the customer base and the death rate in the area you see a direct correlation.  My nephew had been saying for years how cute we were to still have cable.

I called him up and said, "Let's do this".  I already had an Xbox so I made an appointment to shut down the cable and keep wifi.  Wifi has remained the same price for years, $45 in my area.  They came out and the cable guy took out the cable and then said to turn on my tv and search for channels.  OMG!  I received every single channel on my basic lineup because I have a smart tv and it searches for channels.  I had no idea that a lot of shows I paid for are now in the public realm.  Through my Xbox I get Netflix (love!) and Hulu (love/hate).

I do miss the DVR and the channel guide.

• Love 1
On 2/6/2017 at 3:49 PM, Hanahope said:

I did a bit of research and it looks like Direct TV Now might be our best bet.  While it is apparently limited to 2 devices at a time, it should be sufficient.  And since we use ATT for mobile, being able to use the streaming without using data plan is nice.

Depending on what channels you want, you might want to look at the brand new Hulu Live TV.  $40 a month for the cable alternative plus regular Hulu service, $44 for the option with no commercials on regular Hulu.  Also includes a 50 hour cloud DVR that you can upgrade to 200 for an additional fee, and depending on where you live, local channels (no CBS or CW, but those aren't on OG Hulu either).  Biggest drawbacks are the lack of AMC Networks (no Walking Dead, Better Call Saul, or BBC America) and Viacom (no MTV or VH1).  As of right now, you can only get it on Apple TV or Chromecast, with the promise of Roku and Amazon Fire TV later this year.  They claim it's also on iOS and Android, but neither my iPhone nor my iPad have it available.

I've been using DirecTV Now, because I got in when it launched to get a new Fire Stick for prepaying for a month (3 months got you an Apple TV), and it's just okay.  The channel selection is good, but the interface leaves a lot to be desired (this is also a drawback for Hulu Live, to be fair), and it's prone to glitches, although not nearly as many as when it launched.

Does the DirectTv now allow you to go to a channels website and stream the show there?  Most now make you sign in with your cable provider so wondering if DirectTv is an allowable sign in.  That would help when I can't watch the show live.

The basic Hulu Live DVR doesn't allow users to skip commercials. So your not just upgrading to add more space to the DVR it's to have the ability to get around commercials too. 

On 5/6/2017 at 3:26 PM, Hanahope said:

Does the DirectTv now allow you to go to a channels website and stream the show there?  Most now make you sign in with your cable provider so wondering if DirectTv is an allowable sign in.  That would help when I can't watch the show live.

Yes. Not every channel but they are adding more and more. 

https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-us/articles/215395423-Use-your-DIRECTV-NOW-account-to-access-network-sites-and-mobile-apps

• Love 1

Ah, thanks for the link.  Looks like the only channels I'd have problems with, atm, are TBS/TNT.  I never watch anything live anymore, its all DVR'd, on-demand or streamed through the website.  I suppose if its just those channels, I'll make the effort to watch the shows on those live.

Not sure when we'll make the switch, we need to get a new TV for the living room in order to make it worthwhile.  I'm hoping for sometime this summer.

• Love 1

Can someone with an online cable alternative, tell me if they have had any issues watching shows on their Smart TV?  I've been reading some things that concern me.  I currently have Spectrum, but, want to switch, because they are now requiring Adobe Flash in order to view shows ON Demand. I don't want to install Adobe Flash.   I've read that many Smart TV's aren't compatible, anyway, so I may not be able to view Spectrum online On Demand on my Smart TV.  Do  these other alternatives require it as well?  

I just came across this forum today and had fun reading through it.  I had Sling TV when it first came and now have Sony Vue (you don't need a PlayStation, just a Roku/FireTV device/Apple TV, etc). It isn't the cheapest anymore but I love the cloud dvr and most of the channels have tv anywhere sign-ins.

@SunnyBeBe - I'm not familiar with most Smart TVs but I'm assuming it depends on how their app support is. But a set top streaming box will always have wider access to subscription services.  

I still have cable, but I have taken out a subscription with Youtube TV for $35 a month.  (I canceled Direct TV now, the lack of DVR was annoying.)  One big advantage of Youtube TV is their cloud DVR.  Unfortunately it is not on Roku yet, though they claim it is coming soon.  As of now you can only watch it on TV with Chromecast.  However, unlike Direct TV Now, I find the casting quality is very good - I seemed to have a noticeable sync issue between picture and sound with DTVN.  Anyway, I am mentioning this for anyone who is going internet-only.  Unfortunately, where I live the cost of internet is so high that currently it doesn't pay for me to drop cable yet - but if Spectrum gets any more greedy I may just move to Youtube TV plus internet.

I just signed up for 3 months of DirectTV Now because you get a free Apple TV 4K if you pay for 3 months. A $105 Apple TV is a good deal even if I prefer YouTube TV to DirectTV Now.

I have a little known service, Philo. I like it a lot, I've had it for about 6 months. Sometimes there are streaming issues, but 90% of the time, it's AT&T. It took me a bit to get used to, but when you change to a different channel, it starts over at the beginning, so I've learned not to change to a show a couple of minutes before it starts or I get the entire last show. I've also learned that when I do that, to wait a couple of minutes, go back to the menu and the new shows in the time slot are ready. It's been an adjustment, but I've also gotten kind of spoiled and forget that antenna channels don't work that way. And I can watch shows up to 3 days after they are aired, I'm just now kind of figuring this out. But I do like being able to watch something on Antenna and then still watch the new episode of whatever.

Philo is now up to 43 channels, none of them the big ones like CNN, TNT, SyFy and no sports! I am all in on the no sports. But I'm very happy with their service, I like Discovery, Discovery Science, Travel, History, TLC. DIY, those are the ones I watch the most. I had never heard of this service before I went looking for way to get Trading Spaces on TLC and it's cheap, $16/month and there are no stupid ads for them all over the place, like Sling.

If you mainly want to watch the big cable channels, this is probably not the service for you, but I'm quite happy with it. I have Prime also, but I hardly ever use it. I've had Hulu and Netflix before, I don't really need them currently.

• Love 2

I like Philo. I signed up for the free trial to watch the premiere of Doctor Who when I was at the beach. Being able to start over shows and just search easily for what is on was useful.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, forumfish said:

Quick question -- if you use a Fire Stick or Apple TV or whatever Google's TV stick-thingie's called, do you have to pay a monthly fee? Or do you just pay once to buy the device and then you pay for whatever streaming service(s) you want?

The only monthly fees are for the streaming services purchased. No fees for the devices themselves after they are purchased.

I currently have Netflix, Hulu, PrimeTV, AcornTV, BritBox, HBOGO, Showtime Go/Now (?) and basic cable. My problem is that I spend half a day trying to read through titles for something to watch. I wish there was a better way to organize what is available at any given time. I know that this is a first world problem.

• Love 4

Has anyone used YouTube TV?  I'm on the verge of cancelling cable (going internet only) and have been looking at my options.  I tried Sling a few months ago, and it was OK, but nothing special.  YTTV seems to have most all of the channels I watch - it's missing a few, but nothing that's a deal breaker, and it has all the sports channels I watch.  It's $40 a month, and I already have the Roku units I would need to watch on my television.  Just looking for any first hand experience.  They only have a 5 day free trial, so I'd probably wait until we're back from Florida next week.  Thanks!

I've had both YouTubeTV and Philo for about 6 months and really like them both.  Philo has some of the channels that YouTubeTV doesn't have, and it's just $16 a month.  Both have unlimited dvrs, which is great for me, as I seem to record EVERYTHING!  Try the free trial and see if you like it.  🙂

• Love 1
On 3/13/2019 at 10:37 PM, Moose135 said:

Thank you, @CarolinaPam! I plan to try the free YTTV trial - it's only 5 days right now, and I'm out of town for the week.  I'll check out Philo as well, a few people have mentioned it to me.

I dropped cable completely and am paying just $35 total (early adopter price) for YTTV, and I really recommend it overall.  It has more channels than I can reasonably watch, and while the DVR isn't perfect for me - it occasionally doesn't always record similarly titled tennis events on Tennis Channel, for instance - it has been fine with movies and other regular programming.  I don't have Netflix or Hulu anymore, I wasn't watching them; however I do have Kanopy, a free movie service that you can get through your library card in many cities.

I still use my Tivo for over-the-air recordings, and I fortunately only pay $41.95 a month for internet since Spectrum gave my apartment building a group rate long ago.  It took me four phone calls to find a rep who recognized that though!

Anyway, I do recommend YTTV as a good deal.

• Love 1

I hop from service to service. Right now I have CBS All-Access (In March I began to unsubscribe and got 2 months at 50% off) where I am re-watching Big Brother USA from the start and Star Trek discovery and the new Twilight Zone.  I have Hulu w/o ads again to get a month of Showtime free.  Also have youtube tv at least until early may. They have added channels and raised price to $50 starting May 13.  Also using free trial of HBO NOW where I am watching Veep.

In the past I've had/tried Amazon Prime...Netflix...Philo...Sling TV (orange + blue)...DirectvNow...Hulu+live tv w/o ads...playstation vue...FuboTv...BritBox...plus another British service probably 

I only watch on my laptop. Don't have/need Roku or similar stuff. I have a TV which is now being used sparingly.

Started watching AcornTV. Losing visual now & again. Tried site help and they blocked my IP due to high volume.

Please advise. tyia

Solved my issue. When you go to another tab/window you lose the picture. It returns when ye returns 🙂

Edited by ketchuplover

I'm currently playing with Sling Orange plus $5 Sports/Movies/DVR, mainly because I just dislike the DVR on Youtube TV so much.  Yes, it records and keeps *everything* (meaning every episode of a given show, or sport even) but I don't want to watch *everything*!  And I still pine for the ability to start and stop the recording by  channel and time, which none of these streaming services are apparently willing or able to do.  

I know the feeling some of you are having about jumping from one to the other of these services, I haven't decided what to do - I still have YTTV also - but I don't regret leaving cable and their awful boxes!

The YTTV DVR has taken some getting used to but overall I like it. It really needs "Mark as Watched" and "Only Record New Episodes" though.

On 5/17/2019 at 6:45 PM, ketchuplover said:

Acorn TV one month free. Try promo code SPRING30

Thanks. I signed up today. Watched Doc Martin.

Sling TV is offering their Total TV Deal for $20 not $40 ...You get 7 packages about 67 channels

This is after your blue or orange or blue+orange channels

Not sure how long this will last

Edited by ketchuplover

cordcutters.com is a good place to start

We cut the cord years ago, after I realized with all the money paid to comcast we could've had my dream car, a Porsche 911 Targa. We have Hulu live (which we drop down to regular hulu after baseball season), netflix, hbo, showtime, starz, cinemax, shudder, and masterpiece, all in all less than have of our previous $300/mo cable bill.

As far as services, my husband wanted live sports. That left Hulu, YTTV, or Sling, for Chicago Cubs baseball, Hulu live was best for us, and I like the original programming and channel offerings, not to mention being able to drop the live tv when not needed. I've tried Playstation vue, Sling, DTV now, and Hulu, and for our purposes found Hulu to be the best.

Edited by BigBlueMastiff

Pluto TV is a sort of streaming service owned by Viacom. They have "live channels" for every Viacom programming block you can think of (well, generally MTV reality shows), random movies, news channels, and music stations and then movies that you can actually stream.

Crackle, Tubi, and Vudu also have movies available.

I’ve had a Samsung Smart tv for about two years. I just realized that it offers something called Samsung TV for free. It is a bunch of channels I never heard of with F rated shows I would never watch. 

Anybody else know what this is about?