Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E08: Duggar To-Do's

Aren't there laws about trying on shoes without socks/foot coverings? Or is that a store policy and subject to voluntary enforcement? I couldn't stand watching them all try on shoes in their bare feet.

And I'm sorry, it's totally gross and tacky forJill to go barefoot at an indoor church wedding. She could have worn anything comfortable and it would have been fine. But barefoot? Just gross. If she had gotten married on the beach or something, bare feet would have been appropriate. 

I work at JC Penney's in the shoe department as a second part time job and no there is no law or rule about trying on shoes.

Well, if you took away the advantage people had that started with their last name and their dependency on it to open doors, there would be a lot fewer successful people (who do go on to become successful in their own right ). You can start with musicians like the Bach family or actors like the Barrymores. And of course DC, where Josh is, had the Kennedy's, the Rockefellers, let alone the fact that we may be facing another Bush-Clinton presidency.

Josh and Anna fit right in.

• Love 3

Jeremy Roloff just got married, and his wedding has already been shown by TLC. Guess Princess Jill wants us to see every boring detail of her big day.  We'll have no interest once the actual ceremony is shown. Come on, TLC! Just show the damn wedding already! Baby DIll Pickle will be born before we see the wedding.  Can you imagine if they drag out Benessa's wedding like this?

So Michelle and Jessa can sew and neither of them offered to help Jana with the bridesmaid's dresses? Nice, real nice. I loved the scene where all the girls were standing around stuffing their faces while Jana is slaving away at the sewing machine. Also, for Jana to make a snarky comment about not understanding why no one else could help, you know she had to be really pissed.

When they first arrived at Famous Footwear I couldn't help but noticed the camera zeroed in on a pair of nude pumps that would have been perfect for the dresses. Naturally, the J'Slaves chose shoes more appropriate for a cookout or beach excursion than a church wedding. 

I also totally agree with whomever said the younger girls look dirty and ratty, especially Josie. And not for nothing, but if my crisp, new wedding dress just arrived at my house, there's no way in hell I'd let a bunch of little kids come within ten feet of it. Especially after they were just eating chocolate cupcakes.

I felt horrible for that carpet installer. He had this look of "are you effing kidding me?" on his face. Teach your kids "skills" on your own damn time, Boob, not somebody else's. As usual, the Howlers were completely useless and did nothing but get in the way. I also thought the carpet choice was hideous, it must have been on triple clearance and that's why Boob chose it.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 9

Hannie is probably in training to take over combing of the little's hair. I'm sure MEchelle's training includes this along with bathing and getting them dressed.

Someone asked why Mechelle puts baby lotion in the girl's hair perhaps they don't understand the concept of hair conditioner or the girls use that as cheap shaving creme and they never have enough for the littles to get the tangles out of their hair??????

Speaking of shaving those poor girls must have to shave every day in order to wear skirts. 

Josh and Anna are still dependent on the family. They can pretend to be Mr. and Mrs. Washington until the cows come home, but they would have not made it this far without the Duggar name, and Josh being the oldest of nineteen kids. They are not the super couple anymore since Jill and Derick have taken over the title.

I really can't blame someone for using their name to get somewhere. That's pretty much all Josh has. His work experience and success as a business owner are shady/questionable at best and he has no education. I know if I had a famous last name, I'd use that to my advantage. Alas...I do not.

• Love 2

Well, if you took away the advantage people had that started with their last name and their dependency on it to open doors, there would be a lot fewer successful people (who do go on to become successful in their own right ). You can start with musicians like the Bach family or actors like the Barrymores. And of course DC, where Josh is, had the Kennedy's, the Rockefellers, let alone the fact that we may be facing another Bush-Clinton presidency.

Josh and Anna fit right in

I respectfully disagree.  Yes. A family name can get you in the door, but people know who "have it" and who don't.  The Kennedy's have money and clout, but many of them are extremely bright and highly educated.  The elder  Barrymores were quite talented, and while Drew may be a Barrymore, she hasn't quite made it to legendary status as did her predecessors.  Her own father was an actor, but we never really heard about him in that regard.  As for the Bachs, a musical talent is not something that a name can compensate for--maybe a chance to get in the door, but people can identify talent.  The Duggars may have money, but I don't know that they have the intellect, knowledge, or education to go beyond getting themselves in the door.  I guess we shall see.

Edited by zenme
  • Love 4

Did anyone notice that the shape of the bridesmaid dresses except for Hannie's were altered?  When Jessa had the dress on it flared out like an A line and the final result looked more like a shift.  I thought the dresses looked nicer than in the pictures.  Yes, it could have been much better but what can we expect when poor Jana did not get any help from her sisters or Mullet.

I also noticed in one scene that Joy and Jill had their arms intertwined while sitting and waiting for either Jessa or Jinger to come out from the dressing room to model dresses.

What Josh Duggar has is the ability to go into certain types of homes, organizations and churches and raise money.  That may not sound very important to anyone here, but it's a big deal to certain groups in Washington.  The Quiverfull/homeschool/die hard Fundamentalist groups are not political homogenous.  They do not vote regularly for the same political party the way other religious groups do, and there are groups in DC that would like to try to change that and tap into those resources.  In those circles, Josh's name DOES mean something, and he's a pretty decent public speaker, and he knows all the right words and buzz words.  He has the right story and the correct upbringing and he married into the same circles and can talk about people like his brother-in-law (ATI) and future brother-in-law (Vision Forum).  He can go where evangelicals, Mormons and Catholics cannot.

And again, these are not groups that expect to win elections, but they want to make themselves relevant to political parties who are running.  The fact that they campaign for candidates that don't win doesn't matter.  They simply need to remain visible to raise money and maintain their influence to show to the larger parties that they can't be dismissed completely.  Josh Duggar does this as well as anyone, although at this point, given his lack of credentials, I'm not sure where he goes from where he is.

I have to admit to going barefoot at my wedding. The shoes I bought turned out to be very uncomfortable and my feet were killing me by the time pictures were over (we did pictures before the ceremony), so I slipped them off and walked down the aisle in my stocking feet. Believe me, no one could see my feet, there was too much dress.

• Love 4

Did anyone else notice the short, off-the-shoulder black dress one of the sales ladies had on in the bridesmaid dress shop? ** NIKE **

I did and I also noticed that hussy of a UPS man who delivered Jill's dress in his immodest brown shorts.

Hannie is probably in training to take over combing of the little's hair.

When Michelle went with Jessa to visit Ben, one of the Rod-Todd Flanders boys exclaimed to JimBob, "Mama likes it curly!" In regards to Josie's hair. JimBob was trying to comb her hair, and it looked like shit. She ended up looking like Woodstock. Edited by charmed1
  • Love 9

This is a random question: it looks like Michelle is putting baby lotion in the little girls hair??  I've seen it more than once.  Is there a logic/reason behind this?  I have a 5 year old and it has never crossed my mind to do that to her hair nor heard of

It may be alone vera. I use it with my niece and with my own hair occasionally. If you put just a pea sized drop on your hands and massage it through the ends, it helps present the tiny little roadways and protects the ends of your hair. Think of it like argan oil.

Speaking of the younger girls, and how to look so unkempt, I always find myself looking at the bottom of their feet when shown on the camera.  They are so dirty!  I can't understand why those little girls can't have their feet washed everyday.  They're not in the middle of the mall, or at a farm, but at home!

And another pet peeve of mine, is when people wear their outside shoes inside the home, which is what I've seen the Duggars do.  Half the kids will have their shoes on, and the other half will be barefoot.  I can't imagine what their floors look like.

Hello everyone, lurker from TWOP.  First time posting...

First off, not sure if this scene was from the Episode 7 or 8, so I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong thread.  Anyway, I cannot stand the way everyone treats poor Jana. During the "tea party" scene, Jana had to slave away at the dresses, even though she repeatedly said that her other sisters and her mom knew how to sew as well.  I'm sure they have more than one sewing machine.  If I recall not once did anyone come up to her and and have just a nice chit chat, ask if she wanted a drink or snack, ask if she needed help, or heaven for bid a THANK YOU for altering every freaking dress in the bridal wedding party.  Please someone FREE JANA!  I would free all of them (except for Josie, something about that kid I cannot stand..ok now I feel horrible for saying that out loud lol) but Jana deserves to be free out of all of them.  She is the Duggar Cinderella.  I honestly cannot remember the last time I saw a scene where Jana was even talking with her own mother.  She seems to not be close to anyone, I hope she is doing alright.

• Love 3
Jana had to slave away at the dresses, even though she repeatedly said that her other sisters and her mom knew how to sew as well

Welcome autumn0820.

Without Jill or Jana asking, the sisters could have offered to help in anyway they can.  But no, they left it all to Jana.  It was sad to see her slaving away at the sewing machine while the others were nearby having a tea party.  It would have been nice to see them asking her to step away for a while and join them.

Edited by abseedee

The shoes:

Duggars+Girls+Blog+%23100.PNG

Arg the dresses are so not good.  Sorry Jana and Jill. With the white fabric it just looks like their slips are hanging out the bottom. They would of been better to go with a deeper green or the accent color peach. And the shoes...wow...speechless

Welcome autumn0820.

Without Jill or Jana asking, the sisters could have offered to help in anyway they can.  But no, they left it all to Jana.  It was sad to see her slaving away at the sewing machine while the others were nearby having a tea party.  It would have been nice to see them asking her to step away for a while and join them.

I do feel very badly for Jana (Free Jana 2015!), but I am also of the mind that people treat you the way you allow them. For as long as Jana says 'okay, no problem', they will continue to take advantage of her. Sad, but true. I've been a MOH before, so I get having to do more than the bridesmaids for the bride, but that was just ridiculous.

• Love 1

First of all, stop saying Jill is a good bride because she got the shoes for her bridemaids. Big freakin' deal. Her I am lucky I have my sisters to help me grates on my last nerves. Michelle is just as bad when she reminds us what her wedding was like. UGH!!!! And lets not forget hearing the girls say they are surprise Jill is getting married and moving away. She is not moving thousands miles away.

I do feel very badly for Jana (Free Jana 2015!), but I am also of the mind that people treat you the way you allow them. For as long as Jana says 'okay, no problem', they will continue to take advantage of her. Sad, but true. I've been a MOH before, so I get having to do more than the bridesmaids for the bride, but that was just ridiculous.

I would love to see what kind of shocked reaction Jana would get if she ever said No!  I wish she would but, she probably wouldn't.

• Love 1

Aren't there laws about trying on shoes without socks/foot coverings? Or is that a store policy and subject to voluntary enforcement? I couldn't stand watching them all try on shoes in their bare feet.

And I'm sorry, it's totally gross and tacky forJill to go barefoot at an indoor church wedding. She could have worn anything comfortable and it would have been fine. But barefoot? Just gross. If she had gotten married on the beach or something, bare feet would have been appropriate. 

Exactly.  I always find little boxes of disposable nylon footies at shoe stores.  

Barefeet at a wedding, I can't stop thinking about how dirty her feet will be by the end of the day. Or that episode of Monk where he goes to Mexico and finds out how dirty his hotel room. Unless you have an army of cleaners, that church isn't going to be that clean. She really wants dirty feet on her wedding day? 

The guys installing the carpet gave made me wonder whether businesses in their area actually like the Duggars or dread every time they came into the store. On one hand they know they'll drop a lot of money and/or a chance at free advertising but they also know it'll be hours of howlers, kids running around unsupervised, JimBob thinking he's an expert at everything, and saying nothing while they go on about modesty. To anyone who's worked with customers there's always that one person or that one family.

• Love 2
The guys installing the carpet gave made me wonder whether businesses in their area actually like the Duggars or dread every time they came into the store. On one hand they know they'll drop a lot of money and/or a chance at free advertising but they also know it'll be hours of howlers, kids running around unsupervised, JimBob thinking he's an expert at everything, and saying nothing while they go on about modesty. To anyone who's worked with customers there's always that one person or that one family

Something tells me Jim Bob negotiates the shit out of any services he purchases, but they live in a relatively small town, and so these businesses have to try to survive.  I'm sure they figure that if they work with Jim Bob they'll have future business with JB and his spawn.  If anything I bet restaurants in the area HATE when the Duggars swarm in with their brood.  I bet they leave a big mess and tip very little.

• Love 2

When Boob said it wouldn't work if Jill & Derickdillard had to move in with them if their house was sold, you know he would really LOVE it - to have more control over them.

It was mentioned on another blog that Boob wants the kids to learn trades but won't let them go to school to properly learn them. The rug installer probably started as an apprentice then it took years to learn how to do his job properly. Boob, in his cheap ways, just thinks its OK to leech off others.

I wonder if someone (the real carpet installers) corrected the strip that Jackson was nailing down by the fireplace? I was so nervous watching him hammer around the fireplace - thought sure he would have chipped off a piece or put a nail thru his finger.

We had some lights put in our kitchen recently & the electrician said that many of his calls are fixing things that DIY's have tried to fix themselves. So he has to first correct what the DIY did & then fix the original problem. He said he tells people thats why he went to school to learn how to do it properly & by code. Why did the Duggars come to mind when he told the story?

• Love 1

I would free all of them (except for Josie, something about that kid I cannot stand..ok now I feel horrible for saying that out loud lol) 

Welcome, autumn0820 and don't feel bad. Your remark about Josie is a common sentiment shared by 99% of us on this board.

• Love 2

We are assuming Jana dislikes being sent off to Journey of the heart. Perhaps she enjoys going. Yes, there have been allegations of abuse regarding Gothard, but we have no evidence that she was singled out or abused, or anything other than she genuinely believes what the program teaches, distasteful as that might be to some here. She also seems to take every advantage to go to Josh and Anna's.

JimBob was trying to comb her hair, and it looked like shit. She ended up looking like Woodstock.

I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes, and I'm still having giggle fits as I type my response.  Poor Josie.  I guess Michelle buys into the "curly hair" fetish of ATI.  I do think Josie's natural hair is adorable (though she may end up looking like Phil Spector if it ever grows in more - is it possible they're cutting it short to retain the curl, despite the "long hair or die!" decree from Lord Gothard?), but is it really that hard to get a couple of little kids' hair brushed in the morning?  But then, I guess it is - I remember Joy putting crap in one of the boys' hair (James I think, but who the hell knows?) for him when he was at least nine or so.  It's amazing how little these "disciplined" children are expected to do for themselves.  

I do feel very badly for Jana (Free Jana 2015!), but I am also of the mind that people treat you the way you allow them. For as long as Jana says 'okay, no problem', they will continue to take advantage of her.

I don't disagree, but keep in mind that Jana, even moreso than the other older girls, has been trained from toddlerhood to be meek, silent and do everything that she's told to do without questioning it.  Shutting up and doing as you're told when someone bosses you around (aka "obedience" and "having a servant's heart") is a Godly trait in this family. 

Edited by WTFFF

Welcome autumn0820.

I was so disgusted by the treatment of Janderella.  The only thing that would have completed the scene was Janderella on her hands and knees scrubbing floors - and MEchelle and Jessa standing over her making fun.  

I want to kidnap this girl so bad.  

EDIT- Did I say kidnap?  I don't want to get targeted when someone lures her away from the compound.  I meant RESCUE!  

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 3

Why the ugly carpeting and not nice hardwood floors? Surely the carpeting is lowering the value of the home.

I would have at least thought they'd use a neutral beige in the master bedroom, but they laid down the same crap they used for the entry way. Usually when you buy a home you rip up the carpet and install new stuff anyways, so that's probably why Boob bought the cheapest stuff available.

Something tells me Jim Bob negotiates the shit out of any services he purchases, but they live in a relatively small town, and so these businesses have to try to survive.  I'm sure they figure that if they work with Jim Bob they'll have future business with JB and his spawn.  If anything I bet restaurants in the area HATE when the Duggars swarm in with their brood.  I bet they leave a big mess and tip very little.

Yea, I'll bet they hit every buffet with a special free deal for 12 and under and that the howlers all go barefoot and crawl over the buffet table- just before they touch every thing there.  

DId I mention that I have an aversion to buffets?  YUCK.  

• Love 1

Why the ugly carpeting and not nice hardwood floors? Surely the carpeting is lowering the value of the home.

New although cheap carpeting wouldn't lower the value of the home but nice hardwood floors would have definitely raised it.

I was so disgusted by the treatment of Janderella.  The only thing that would have completed the scene was Janderella on her hands and knees scrubbing floors - and MEchelle and Jessa standing over her making fun.  

I want to kidnap this girl so bad.  

EDIT- Did I say kidnap?  I don't want to get targeted when someone lures her away from the compound.  I meant RESCUE!  

I can actually picture Mechelle and Jessa making fun of her.

If you fail in kidnapping, I mean luring or rather rescuing Jana, I would give it a try. ;-)

• Love 1

I'm watching this episode right now. So is JB serious about putting the house on sale? "If it sells fast, Derick and Jill can move in with us." Pssst, Derick! Go house shopping now and don't tell the in-laws! Take your bride and run! Seriously though, I had the impression the parents acknowledged when Josh was marrying that once the kids marry, they're their own family entity. Why are they not letting go of their daughters?

Wow! Anna is really different now. I think someone posted earlier she seems a lot happier. I agree. She seems more confident and carries herself differently. More mature? More modern? I'm getting the sense she's the glue that holds the family together. She doesn't seem to be the meek, submissive wife I thought she once was. She definitely seems to have more of a powerful presence than Michelle does in the house.

• Love 6

I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes, and I'm still having giggle fits as I type my response.  Poor Josie.  I guess Michelle buys into the "curly hair" fetish of ATI.  I do think Josie's natural hair is adorable (though she may end up looking like Phil Spector if it ever grows in more - is it possible they're cutting it short to retain the curl, despite the "long hair or die!" decree from Lord Gothard?), but is it really that hard to get a couple of little kids' hair brushed in the morning?  But then, I guess it is - I remember Joy putting crap in one of the boys' hair (James I think, but who the hell knows?) for him when he was at least nine or so.  It's amazing how little these "disciplined" children are expected to do for themselves.  

I don't disagree, but keep in mind that Jana, even moreso than the other older girls, has been trained from toddlerhood to be meek, silent and do everything that she's told to do without questioning it.  Shutting up and doing as you're told when someone bosses you around (aka "obedience" and "having a servant's heart") is a Godly trait in this family. 

And let's not forget that not being happy to act with your servant's heart makes you a bad person in this family. To me, Jana looks like she has a deep-down sadness. She agreed to do the alterations because she's been taught it's the right thing to do (JOY) but she's not really happy to do it and feels guilty about that.

• Love 1

Anyone else notice Michelle carrying a fugly Coach logo purse with pink patent straps in that shoe store. Buy used, my Italian @$$.

Jill's a little bit of a bridezilla, telling Janaderella what to do. I hate cultures where married women suddenly get all bold and lord over those who aren't.

Michelle and that hair. Not just crunchy this episode, but also DOG EARS. I haven't seen anyone wear those shellacked side wings since I was 8.

Speaking of shellac, if they're going to wear truck loads of makeup, LEARN TO APPLY IT. So much shiny spackled foundation *Anna*, but then no mascara and the shine.....

Ugly shoes, Michelle's never heard of foot fetishes, Jessa wears flat as a fritter shoes to be shorter than Bin, Jill thinks she's soooo Pinteresty hipster with her barefeet in a CHURCH, just.....ugh.

Oh don't tell me they couldn't have found lovely floor length gowns with a little bolero jacket.  

These dresses - if you changed the material to red plaid and left all the other additions, it actually would have looked better.

• Love 1

I was on Facebook and a friend of mine who recently got married had the exact same bridesmaid dresses as the Duggar girls (from Pinterest, obviously). They were the same meh color, but the sleeves were down to the elbows with no lining and just the fabric (still very modest), the white at the bottom was just a little peek-a-boo (like Heidi Klum would say) that matched the fabric of the mint, and all the girls had on silver stiletto heels (appropriate for a formal event, not a club). It was a real improvement! 

ETA: They also didn't have that weird layering. Or the belts.

Edited by PinkSprinkles
  • Love 1

I don't know how the carpeting man refrained from stapling Jim Bob between the eyes. Say what now, you want me to teach your Howler monkeys how to do my job and therefore risk tearing up my equipment AND taking from my livelihood by training them?

• Love 3

I'm watching this episode right now. So is JB serious about putting the house on sale? "If it sells fast, Derick and Jill can move in with us." Pssst, Derick! Go house shopping now and don't tell the in-laws! Take your bride and run! Seriously though, I had the impression the parents acknowledged when Josh was marrying that once the kids marry, they're their own family entity. Why are they not letting go of their daughters?

When Josh got married, Mechelle was pregnant with baby #18. That was a happy moment for JB and M. They had one obnoxious child out of the house, and a cute baby coming into the world. No seriously, Michelle was still a great baby canon. They thought they would have many more or at least three or four more to increase the family and continue to sell their holy family out-blessing the world in God's favor.

Now Michelle is old. They no longer can have babies of their own. Therefore they need someone else to do it for them.

Babies are part of their identity. Without babies in house, Michelle and probably JB too don't know what to do. One of the various reasons Josie may be delayed is because they don't want to give up having a baby. 

Babies are also part of their brand. This whole show keeps coming back to branding. Branding is huge in the Duggar world. The Duggars are a brand. A family that is always increasing is part of the brand. The main reason, as I see it, that they keep saying the full name of the nonDuggar fiancees is to make Dillard and Seewald into brands. 

If and when Jill or Jessa needs or wants to continue the family's "ministry" they may need all the help from their parent's glory days they can get. They can't keep their maiden names, since that goes against the man being the head of family principle. It's important that ten years after the show is ended, the people who worship the Duggars know/remember who Jill Dillard is. Especially since they, particularly Jessa and Ben. may need the money this ministry brings in. 

Personally I think the reason JB gave the Dillards that house was to control them. They don't need him or his money, but who turns down a free house that nice when it's available?

Edited by Temperance

And I'm really sorry but i turn away from the tv everytime Josie is shown...i just cant with the head on that one..its almost like there is only so much genes to go around and you can tell they were running out or he's shooting dust with the look of that special lil snowflake.

I have had the same feeling myself for quite a while now.  It seems to me that the kids get more and more washed-out looking from Jackson on down to Josie.  As though genes were butter and there's just so much left now that it has to be spread very thinly.  Poor kids.

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 1

I have had the same feeling myself for quite a while now.  It seems to me that the kids get more and more washed-out looking from Jackson on down to Josie.  As though genes were butter and there's just so much left now that it has to be spread very thinly.  Poor kids.

That is so true! I wonder if part of that is due to their crap diet. If you look at Mackenzie and Michael, they both have chubby, healthy faces and rosy skin. I think Hannie, Jenny and Jordyn are beautiful girls, but they, along with Josie, look quite pale and insipid. Or we could just be comparing them too closely with the J'Slaves fake orange tans:)

• Love 1

The carpet guy was obviously pissed when he said -- "a 1.5 hr job has taken 5 hrs, but it's fun." I don't get their own self absorption. I think it's been said before that they are maybe constructing another home on their property, and JB is probably thinking of renovating other homes for other married couples down the road, so knowing how to do carpeting may come in handy. All fine and good. So why not just have 1-2 competent/handy boys learn it from the carpeting guy. I don't think the guy would have minded or cared as much if JB had said "hey my 2 oldest would love to help your crew and see how it's done." It wouldn't have slowed the crew down at all because if the crew said -- carry this or nail that strip of wood to the ground or get out of the way -- JD and Joseph can presumably do that without killing anyone or injuring themselves. No apparently JB thought it was a better idea to have a 6 yr old (10 yr old -- whatever Jackson is) putting nails into wood in such a way that it looked like he was going to nail his finger to the floor and running underneath heavy rolls of carpeting.

JD is a chip off the old block when he says -- it slows things down to have the littler (really JD -- how about younger?!) guys involved but it's an investment. Um -- why should the carpet guy have to invest in your family, when he is not being paid to do so -- as carpet installation isn't done by the hour but rather by the amount of carpet/number of rooms!? Why don't you and Joseph just learn it, and then it's your problem whether you choose to pass that "investment" onto the other "blessings" or not. I imagine service people in their area are sick of the Duggars' cheapskate/taking advantage/you have to do it for us bc we are SO important -- ways, but probably can't turn down a job as it isn't a huge area and they realize that the Duggar clan will make up more and more of the business share in that small town as they start to get their own homes, businesses etc. so it's not a great idea to piss off JB.

• Love 3

That is so true! I wonder if part of that is due to their crap diet. If you look at Mackenzie and Michael, they both have chubby, healthy faces and rosy skin. I think Hannie, Jenny and Jordyn are beautiful girls, but they, along with Josie, look quite pale and insipid. Or we could just be comparing them too closely with the J'Slaves fake orange tans:)

The younger kids just don't look healthy to me; I mean they don't look sickly or anything but they look like kids who eat too much junk (though probably not in huge portions since they're all thin) and thus may be lacking vitamins/minerals. It's odd that the older kids don't look like that -- Josiah, Jeremiah, Jed look like normal teen boys. But I guess that's just due to needing parenting. Most kids will fill up on cookies, junk etc. if it's made available while eating little lunch/dinner if no one forces the issue; with the younger kids -- we know JB and Michelle aren't forcing them to eat real food and their sister moms have gotten busier with weddings, engagements, book tours, trips to DC etc. I suspect the teen boys don't have that look because they are old enough to not require as much parenting; they may realize that if they're hungry, tater tot casserole and salad will fill them up (whether it's healthy or not) whereas a package of cookies won't; their food choices may not be super healthy but they may be eating more meal types of foods whereas the little kids may just be snacking on tasty junk.

Anna is definitely trying with the healthy food. I'm not suggesting that they're not eating chickenetti, but for the kids to like salmon and fingerling potatoes and green beans suggests that they're having those things somewhat regularly -- as kids don't warm up to food choices right away. And this is the 2nd time that Mac has mentioned salmon and tilapia in an interview, which suggests she is eating those things. I feel like if you said "tilapia" to the younger Duggar girls or the howler boys the response would be -- what?! Even when they were putting the mobile together, you could see Michael snacking on an apple. I think Anna may be trying to get them into the fruit and vegetable habit now, so that it isn't a battle later -- which is great. As for the Duggars, if James liked hummus when he was out with Jill and Derick -- why not have that around with veggies?? It doesn't take a huge amount of effort to wash baby carrots and put them out with a few purchased containers of hummus.

Any idea if the Duggars are anti-medicine (besides OBs)? Do the kids have a pediatrician who would be able to say -- this kid needs to gain weight, that kid needs more vitamin D etc? Or do they only worry about health for women in their baby making years?

• Love 2

It might be that Jill and Derrick asked for carpet over hardwood floors. I know hardwood is trendier, but I dislike it and much prefer carpet , tile or stained concrete.

I completely forgot there was another example of how little Michelle knows her daughters, when she was asked if any of her daughters where into shoes.  Her answer went from some of the older girls to probably all of them. Its amazing how she still can't come up with any answers towards any of her daughters individually.

Why don't you and Joseph just learn it, and then it's your problem whether you choose to pass that "investment" onto the other "blessings" or not.

I wonder how well their learning things to do them later has panned out or if it has ever actually paid off. They spent years using free labor to build their dream house only to have professionals come in and a lot of their work had to be redone. I wonder if the boys are even at all interested in learning any of this stuff or dread it every time their dad tells them something new their going to learn to do. Are they hoping to learn the skill and go in to business, annoyed at learning another skill they don't want to but will get roped into doing it over and over for free for everyone in their family, or just go along with it because its not like they have anything else to do. 

• Love 3