Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E08: Duggar To-Do's

the only one I kind of tolerate is Jinger... And really more in a "lesser of two evils" sort of way, not that I actually like them.

I agree. Jinger's are the only ones that aren't entirely hideous, followed closely by JoyAnna's. I can see them being worn at a last minute garden wedding. The rest of those shoes are awful.

I agree. Jinger's are the only ones that aren't entirely hideous, followed closely by JoyAnna's. I can see them being worn at a last minute garden wedding. The rest of those shoes are awful.

i don't understand why they all couldn't just get Jinger's shoe and that way their outfits don't look thrown together at the last minute.  Her heel just about about the same size as Jana, Joyless and Anna's.  Jess'a and those flats are just awful and should not have been ok, it's a dress and wedding, even Hannah has a heel!  What a bitch Jessa is for not wanting ANY heel.

i don't understand why they all couldn't just get Jinger's shoe and that way their outfits don't look thrown together at the last minute.  Her heel just about about the same size as Jana, Joyless and Anna's.  Jess'a and those flats are just awful and should not have been ok, it's a dress and wedding, even Hannah has a heel!  What a bitch Jessa is for not wanting ANY heel.

IMO, if someone in the bridal party doesn't want to wear a heel, I don't think it makes them a bitch. I was just in a wedding this past weekend and I learned long ago to choose comfy footwear because I knew I'd spend most of the day standing. I wore a pair of ballet flats and I didn't care what anyone thought about it since my dress was long enough that no one would know. LOL!  I think flat sandals are fine for a bridesmaid. Jessa could have chosen a dressier pair, but the dress she wore was so hideous and casual, I suppose it didn't matter.

• Love 5

IMO, if someone in the bridal party doesn't want to wear a heel, I don't think it makes them a bitch. I was just in a wedding this past weekend and I learned long ago to choose comfy footwear because I knew I'd spend most of the day standing. I wore a pair of ballet flats and I didn't care what anyone thought about it since my dress was long enough that no one would know. LOL!  I think flat sandals are fine for a bridesmaid. Jessa could have chosen a dressier pair, but the dress she wore was so hideous and casual, I suppose it didn't matter.

I'm not asking for a heel.  There are wedges at 1/2 inch that feel the same as flats.  I'm sorry, flats for a bridesmaid at a wedding were your feet are shown in pictures is ridiculous.  Ballet flats are fine, but beach sandals with a strap on the back are not - not as a bridesmaid.  Otherwise do flats with no toes showing.

Edited by JerseyGirl
  • Love 2

I'm not asking for a heel.  There are wedges at 1/2 inch that feel the same as flats.  I'm sorry, flats for a bridesmaid at a wedding were your feet are shown in pictures is ridiculous.  Ballet flats are fine, but beach sandals with a strap on the back are not - not as a bridesmaid.  Otherwise do flats with no toes showing.

I'll agree to disagree. There are adorable, formal flat sandals out there. I own a pair covered in Swarovski crystals that I wore to my best friend's wedding. I didn't force my bridal party to wear heels/wedges, and I'm glad no one tried to force me to in order to be a part of their wedding. I just don't think Jessa is a 'bitch' for not wearing a heel at the end of the day.

• Love 7

If I ever have a wedding I wouldn't give a shit what shoes my bridesmaids wore. That kind of thing just isn't important to me. The only thing I might ask is no combat boots, haha. But honestly, a bride has a lot more important stuff to be concerned about on her big day than the bridal party's footwear.

• Love 4

I think the initial dresses are ok. Plain, but ok. But the bottom slip business has to go. And change the belt. Same with those weird long chunky necklaces. These girls have no real clue what style is. It's a shame too, because they are all pretty girls. Then they dress like this..

• Love 3

I don't even understand how that crooked panel thing makes the original dress more modest within their stupid modesty standards. The dresses are still fairly long. The little girl's is way below her knees. The only one who may have defrauded someone with lusty knee exposure is Anna because she's taller. But buy a longer dress people. I always buy tea length skirts and dresses and I'm by no means as wealthy as the Duggars. They just made a decent looking dress look very cheap.

Jessa looks like someone is standing on her foot.

Edited by charmed1

Ok.  So I'm new to the Duggar world and words escape me.  I actually gasped when I saw the dresses and shoe picture.  The dresses look like someone's old curtains and I can't even with the shoes. 

I guess the next bride is not one for tradition.  Bridesmaid dresses made out of old bedspreads and shoes from Savers?  It should be interesting to see.

Why not ballet flats? You can get a decent looking pair from Target for 20 bucks or less, and no flip-flopping down the aisle. Besides, a formal wedding dress and flip-flops don't match at all!

Also, I would have chosen white or silver to go with those ugly bridesmaids dresses, but if they were going to wear brown, why couldn't they all have gotten the same pair of shoes or at least all work flats or all worn wedges?

Okay I'm done. Lol.

• Love 3

I actually can't wear ballet flats unless they are super expensive and the leather is buttery soft. It has to do with the way my foot is cut. Most $20 shoes are pretty painful, except for flip flops, which I don't care for. But I can see how, if you were raised in the Duggar household where good shoes aren't a luxury, but completely non-existent, you'd come to the conclusion you're a barefoot person, whether it's true or not.

Josh & Anna sure did make a special gift. Who, but the Duggars, would make a baby mobile for a WEDDING gift? This would be a gag gift for the rest of us. God I hope this wasn't their only gift. If they wanted to do a "meeting in Nepal" theme they could have put together a shadow box of items. But a BABY mobile made out of yarn & felt. I know that BABIES are the only thing they think of but how would Anna feel if Jill & Derick weren't able to have a baby. (We know differently now) I didn't think it looked too babyish & as Josh said, it looked like the kids made it. And it looks like they are drilling in Mac's head that a marriage is only for having babies.

Those poor carpet installers. The main guy looked like he was ready to shoot himself! Five hours to do a 1-1/2 hour job. I know Boob thinks the kids will learn a trade after being shown once but does he think he can send 10 yr old Jackson out to lay carpet even if its for family? The look on the carpet installers face when he found out he would have helpers, was priceless. By the way, was Bin there? I was so bored at this point I didn't notice.

• Love 6

Those poor carpet installers. The main guy looked like he was ready to shoot himself! Five hours to do a 1-1/2 hour job. I know Boob thinks the kids will learn a trade after being shown once but does he think he can send 10 yr old Jackson out to lay carpet even if its for family? The look on the carpet installers face when he found out he would have helpers, was priceless. By the way, was Bin there? I was so bored at this point I didn't notice.

I hope those installers were being paid by the hour. Boob told them they had eight helpers so I think it was just his spawn minus Josh and poor Josiah. Bin must have been left behind to do chores

I had to laugh at the fact that Famous Footwear was such a big splurge for these girls. But it's not a bad idea, for that many people. I thought their choices were nice and appropriate. 

Michelle can't think of anything to do with shoes that would be immodest? Girrrrrl, have I got some websites for you!

JB just douches it up every week. Yea, I'm sure the carpet installer guys really want to teach your pack of howler monkeys how to install carpet for 5 hours, instead of just doing their job and getting on with it. I really hope they were paid by the hour, but the guy did not seem like a happy camper, IMO. I have a feeling he didn't have any prior knowledge of this little endeavor. We know how much JDouche loves to spring himself on people. 

I really rolled my eyes when Anna mentioned a 4th, BUT....I really appreciated what she said about not wanting to be so focused on having more that she misses out on enjoying time with the ones she had. Maybe seeing her husband's family has taught her a thing or two. It almost seemed like she was mocking Michelle with her desperate, "I want a baby!!!" line. 

Jill sure loves mustard yellow, doesn't she? 

• Love 10

Josh & Anna sure did make a special gift. Who, but the Duggars, would make a baby mobile for a WEDDING gift? This would be a gag gift for the rest of us. God I hope this wasn't their only gift. If they wanted to do a "meeting in Nepal" theme they could have put together a shadow box of items. But a BABY mobile made out of yarn & felt. I know that BABIES are the only thing they think of but how would Anna feel if Jill & Derick weren't able to have a baby. (We know differently now) I didn't think it looked too babyish & as Josh said, it looked like the kids made it. And it looks like they are drilling in Mac's head that a marriage is only for having babies.

I thought the emphasis there was about making it clear to Mac that people aren't "supposed" to have babies (or sex) until they are married, so they were just laying the groundwork for the abstinence lessons they'll drum into the kids' heads later down the road. 

I think that the white on the bridesmaids dresses started out as a bit of lacy white slip that was supposed to show. Then one of the girls said, "Oh, I'd like my slip to be just a tad longer because I'm just sooooo modest." From there it became a modesty contest until they were all waling around with 6+ inches of old pillowcase hanging out of their skirts.

It's not really my style, but the green dresses with just a hint of lacy cotton slip at the bottom might have been okay.

I know that their wardrobe "standards" are different from mine, and this is "reality" television, but I don't know how they can appear on television looking like they do. All of the kids look like an unmade bed all of the time. I just can't imagine letting my kids be filmed un-bathed, swathed in layers of ill-fitting clothing, and with uncombed hair.

• Love 4

Jeezum, this show is awful.  I only watch it so I can keep up with what y'all are talking about (love the comments here!)  I can't figure out those bridesmaids' dresses.  Did they buy 6 of the semi-skimpy original dress, then buy extra material from the company that made the original dress, and then Jana reconfigured the dresses (plus adding on those awful white "slips")?  They're not as horrible as I'd imagined they'd be but no matter what, they're outgrossed by the shoes.  With the money this family gets from TLC, (and these people do not have elaborate weddings/receptions), why didn't they send the girls to a nice dept store for dressier/better/more appropriate shoes?  I guess for the girls getting unused shoes is a step up.   I enjoyed Josh and Anna's little ones being honest about the healthy food.  But were the two "older" kids sitting on regular dining table chairs?  The little guy's head barely was level with his plate.

This is a random question: it looks like Michelle is putting baby lotion in the little girls hair??  I've seen it more than once.  Is there a logic/reason behind this?  I have a 5 year old and it has never crossed my mind to do that to her hair nor heard of anyone doing that.

• Love 1

Why did all their hair look like Tammy Wynette circa 1968? ?

And did anyone notice poor Jana's face when she was asked about boyfriends? That look was straight up "don't make me cut a bitch" if i ever saw it!

And I'm really sorry but i turn away from the tv everytime Josie is shown...i just cant with the head on that one..its almost like there is only so much genes to go around and you can tell they were running out or he's shooting dust with the look of that special lil snowflake.

• Love 4

When Michelle said she couldn't think of anything inmodest about shoes, I immediately thought of a movie I saw where a female journalist visits a male prison to interview someone. The journalist is told not to wear open-toed shoes, because it gets the inmates too excited. 

Joy looks beautiful in the photo. And by beautiful I mean, her face. 

Their footware seems Jesusish or girly Jesusish. Coincidence?

"We know Jimbob's main  marriage advice is "be fruitful and multiply." "  Anna said this and Josh laughed. It sounded to me really snarky. Like my in-laws they don't have much advice to offer.  I agree with Anna the mobile is really tacky, but in this case it didn't bother me. If it was anyone else (other than a young Miss Duggar), I would be so angry on  their be half. 

"I think some people  we (they) have to be pregnant to feel validated." holy moly Anna you're rocking my world. Seriously I was shocked she said it. 

"Right now I'm enjoying the three I have." Anna again making much sense. 

I would LOVE to see Michelle and JimBob watch this episode and give their take. Seriously TLC needs to make this happen. One of those Q and A like Sister wives does. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 6

Jana and Joy were being sarcastic when they were talking about the toes being covered. I loved Anna's face when they were planning the "gift" and Josh was totally absorbed in his phone. She shot him some serious shade.

Aren't there laws about trying on shoes without socks/foot coverings? Or is that a store policy and subject to voluntary enforcement? I couldn't stand watching them all try on shoes in their bare feet.

And I'm sorry, it's totally gross and tacky forJill to go barefoot at an indoor church wedding. She could have worn anything comfortable and it would have been fine. But barefoot? Just gross. If she had gotten married on the beach or something, bare feet would have been appropriate. 

• Love 6

As Jill "checks things off the list," I mentally tally the comped items. The shoes are officially on the list. Mullet mentions Famous Footwear, then the very.first.commercial is for that brand. Quelle surprise!!!!!

I think they actually may have paid for the bridesmaid dresses.

Why is Boob wearing a soccer jersey in the carpet-laying segment? Has he ever seen a game? Not a good look on middle-aged schlubs like Boob.

I can't feel too badly for the carpet guy. I'm sure Boob made sure he was Fundie Friendly before hiring him, much like he did when they built the TTH. So, he bit the bullet with JOY!

I think that the dresses were so cheap ($30!) that they bought an extra dress to cut up and make into sleeves.  I didn't understand why they were so short in the first place.  They didn't look like any style of bridesmaid dress I have ever seen.  They should have gone to Macys and just found regular dresses.

Edited by riverblue22
  • Love 2

I can't feel too badly for the carpet guy. I'm sure Boob made sure he was Fundie Friendly before hiring him, much like he did when they built the TTH. So, he bit the bullet with JOY!

I bet that the owner of the store was Fundie Friendly, but he sent his workers to deal with that dog and pony show.

• Love 2

I really do wonder if JB and Michelle are thinking that Josh and Anna are straying too far from the family ideals. No matter what they say about how every family is different -- every one of their kids is supposed to try for babies at all times, at least until there are 7-8. To hear Anna say very directly -- a 4th will probably come along but we don't need to be pregnant at all times to feel validated and first we want to enjoy the 3 we already have -- was pretty much a slap in the face to JB and Michelle. Just validates what many of us have been saying on this board -- now that Josh and Anna have gotten away from his parents and are maybe looking at life as a whole, they have decided they don't want or need a litter. I think they'll still have another one or two, but honestly I wouldn't be shocked if they stayed at 3. Josh has said from the start "we want as many as God blesses us with" with the caveat of "if it's only 2-3 that's fine." I really think they want to be able to enjoy a life on their own without full dependence on JB -- it would be much harder for them to stay in DC if they had to raise 10 kids of Josh's salary, whereas 3-4 are manageable.

They are drilling into Mac's head that babies are for married couples only. Even Josh did the "oh Derick and Jill are having a baby, when" to "test" her and then Anna responded "after they are married." Honestly while it's a dumb gift, I don't see them being wrong about telling their young kids that the order is marriage then baby. Lots of non-fundies who fully intend to talk to their kids about birth control later do that at age 5 -- it's just easier to impart your "morals" in a simple way and then add complex stuff later if you choose.

As snarky and critical as Josh usually is, he had NOTHING to say about Derick that was at all critical or questionable. All he could say is that "he gets stuff done" (probably referring to college and the job) but also has a softer side (probably referring to his being religious and having done a mission) and him and Jill are made for each other. Very atypical for Josh, but I honestly think the Duggar men are a bit "in awe of" or "scared of" Derick. They've drilled it into their kid's heads -- no you can't go to college or even high school but the world is full of purple haired heathens who will pull you away from the Lord and your family. Now here comes a brother in law who went to high school, college, and has a corporate job and is just as Christian as they are -- and has even taken a yr or 2 of his life to serve others -- whereas the Duggars use their religion as an "excuse" to avoid school, to avoid jobs because you may have to work with non-Christians or women, and to talk about serving others while doing a day here or a week there with the cameras rolling. I wonder if Josh looks at Derick and thinks -- wow I could have had that if my parents had only let me stay in high school and go to college??

• Love 5

I felt sorry for the carpet guys.  They're probably just trying to do their work and move on to the next job, or go home.  Instead they had to try to teach the passel of howlers how to lay carpet.  The guys didn't seem too pleased about having to spend over five hours on a job that was supposed to be an hour and a half.  Jim Bob is always inconsiderate of other people's time.

• Love 4

I think the issue for Anna in the photo is that she has no supportive garments under the dress.  After four pregnancies, three babies and breastfeeding, she needs a really good bra.  

Also, it looks like a slip is showing underneath the white lace portions of the dresses.  If they had a bought one more $30 dress they could have done them in a sort of 1920's "vintage" style with the layers and edged each one with a little bit of white lace on the teal for contrast if they needed too.  Or done the white lace as the middle layer.  Seriously -- Jana may be a seamstress, but no one in that family has any imagination.  Sigh.

And I burst out laughing at Anna's comment about Jim Bob's marital advice.  And Josh snickering.  I think moving to DC has been a very good move for Josh and Anna as a couple.  And I liked how their kids aren't perfectly behaved at the table, but they are still sitting at the table.  They are disciplined but not punished.  There's such a difference.

I also wondered if perhaps the mobile was being made in something closer to real time and they were just pretending that it was being made as a "wedding gift."

And since I'm religious myself and have similar values in this particular incidence, I wasn't put out at all about the talk that sex and having children was for something you do after you're married.  I talk that way to my own children, and have since they were very small (one is exactly Michael's age, one is in college) which is not to say that I'm not realistic and knowledgeable about the habits of young people, and my children have never not been part of mainstream culture and attend public schools. They will not be "courting" or chaperoned.   I'm simply giving them guidelines that I think will be useful to them, and I have my reasons why.  They aren't brainwashed dummies - in the end, it will be up to them to make those choices for themselves judging my reasons and guidelines for themselves.   

• Love 4

After three, it seems that Anna has come to the realization that taking care of the ones she already has is a good idea. She and Josh do seem to be invested in their kids, and perhaps neither wants to see Anna turn into a baby making machine a la Michelle, who popped them out and then lost interest.

• Love 1

I don't like the bridesmaids shoes much at all. Tacky. And heaven's sake, Jill, bare feet? Why not ballet slippers? My sister wore them in 1982 so she woulldn't tower over her husband. 

Where were Jeremiah and Jedidiah during the carpet laying ordeal? and is Josiah still at Alert camp?

The dresses in themselves aren't all bad. I think it would have looked better to have a white belt and white shoes. More cohesive overall.

Did anyone else think Anna looked really good this episode? I liked her hair braided and it looked like she might have had her crooked teeth fixed. My biggest pet peeve with the girls is that they NEVER do anything with their hair. My daughter has shoulder length hair and she is on Pinterest all the time finding new ways to wear it, I thought that was why you grew it longer-more options. Not to have it hanging over the food you are fixing. Did anyone catch Jill moving Joy's hair out of the way when she was making the cake?

Jill had no excuse for going barefoot at her wedding. Famous Footwear was giving them shoes, take advantage girl. I've never hear of a barefoot bride in a church just plain not done.

Jana is the slave that everyone takes advantage of.

Anna slammed not only MEchelle in this epi about having too many kids and not really being involved with them but also her sister who had a baby out of wedlock. 

Oh and who is Jill marrying again? I can't remember his name......

Did anyone catch Jill moving Joy's hair out of the way when she was making the cake?

Yup. It seemed VERY motherly! But yea, I don't know how they can cook with all that long hair hanging down. I have fairly long hair. I like to straighten it and then maybe pin a bit back, but wear most of it down. However, when I cook, up it goes! I get hot in the kitchen, and I cannot deal with all that hair on my neck.

I missed it, who is Jill engaged to?

Jill is marrying Derickdillard (said as one word -ha ha) What gets me with these fundie families is that the courtship & engagement have to be quick so they can get to the "sweet fellowship"/aka baby producing part of marriage. So this means they have to rush thru the wedding plans. Why didn't the "wedding planner" tell Jill that dress shopping should have been one of the first things to do since the dresses would have to be altered for their modesty standards? Did you hear about the modest standards? I guess Jill in her 14 yr old way of thinking didn't realize this either.

Don't get me started about poor Jana being the seamstress. I thought Jill said that "she talked Jill into" doing the alterations BY HERSELF. How many times did Jana say that others (even MEchelle) knew how to sew. While the others were having fun at the tea party, Jana was chained to the sewing machine. And then to have her sewing in the same area as the party like they were throwing it in her face that she will always be considered a J'slave in that family.

• Love 2

After three, it seems that Anna has come to the realization that taking care of the ones she already has is a good idea. She and Josh do seem to be invested in their kids, and perhaps neither wants to see Anna turn into a baby making machine a la Michelle, who popped them out and then lost interest.

I think the time away in DC has made Anna a lot more mature. If she had stayed on the Duggar compound, I don't think she would have come to that realization. In DC, she's gotten the opportunity to see what it means to raise children full-time while the husband is away at work, and she sees that it's not easy at all. I hope they have 5 kids max and call it day.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 1

Don't get me started about poor Jana being the seamstress. I thought Jill said that "she talked Jill into" doing the alterations BY HERSELF. How many times did Jana say that others (even MEchelle) knew how to sew. While the others were having fun at the tea party, Jana was chained to the sewing machine. And then to have her sewing in the same area as the party like they were throwing it in her face that she will always be considered a J'slave in that family.

Jana looked so unenthusiastic when Jill asked her to be the MOH. She probably knew right then and there that it would just add more onto her work load around the house and that she would be expected to smile through it all. Free Jana!

• Love 2

Josh and Anna are still dependent on the family. They can pretend to be Mr. and Mrs. Washington until the cows come home, but they would have not made it this far without the Duggar name, and Josh being the oldest of nineteen kids. They are not the super couple anymore since Jill and Derick have taken over the title.

I think the time away in DC has made Anna a lot more mature. If she had stayed on the Duggar compound, I don't think she would have come to that realization. In DC, she's gotten the opportunity to see what it means to raise children full-time while the husband is away at work, and she sees that it's not easy at all. I hope they have 5 kids max and call it day.

Well said.

Not only does Anna seem more mature, she also seems happier. Now if only the other adult Duggar kids could get loose of the tight grip their parents have over them. I'm hoping Josh has some friends in DC that want to be introduced to Jana.