Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E08: Duggar To-Do's

I'm sooo happy to see and hear all about how those awful shoes ended up being part of the bridal party. Gotta be some good snark there and I'll start with they were the perfectly executed Duggar touch along with the badly done hems and MIB's questionable hand-me-down (Kelly Bates's?) dress that may also have a story attached...

• Love 2

I can't believe there's an episode on those awful bridesmaid shoes.  None of them matched and they all looked like handmedowns.

Maybe the episode will be about them tromping around 30 different Goodwills looking for the "perfect" shoes for each bridesmaid. 

I must be defective as a woman because I don't give a shit about weddings.  People I know, people I don't, all equally boring to me.  And really, nothing else is going on with anyone else in the family that every single episode is about Jill's wedding planning?

Edited by WTFFF
  • Love 8

I must be defective as a woman because I don't give a shit about weddings.  People I know, people I don't, all equally boring to me.  And really, nothing else is going on with anyone else in the family that every single episode is about Jill's wedding planning?

I'm so with you.  If it's someone I'm really close to, it's one thing.  And even then the terror sets in that I might be asked to be in it!  OH NO- god awful dresses that you have to buy and they always say that you can wear them outside of the wedding.  OMFG.  As if I would be caught dead in that crap outside of a wedding. 

Maybe now that I'm in my 40's, I realize that all that bullshit and money could be much better spent with a small wedding on an island with just the bride and groom and then an awesome extend honeymoon.  It just seems like such a waste.  Half of the people divorce anyway- and then half of them are stupid enough to do the same big wedding and money again.  

I will never encourage my children to do this kind of crap if and when they ever decide they want to marry.  

And another thing- the whole big wedding thing is SO stressful.  Isn't about the bride and groom uniting and their love?  Why all the stress?  Send them pictures from paradise - looking completely unstressed.  

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 9

I actually LOVE weddings! I don't like being in weddings but I do enjoy going to weddings.

And helloooo -- TLC is footing the bill for part or most of Jill's wedding, so why wouldn't she want to share it in all it's ups and downs on tv?

• Love 1

I'm not a big wedding person either. I'd much rather put that towards a home or a great vacation. Destination weddings are a great option!

Those bridesmaids shoes look very 90s and dated. Does Bill Gothard like those along with the crunchy hair? I wonder who came up with the idea for the dresses and shoes. I guess we'll find out who was behind that brilliant suggestion.

• Love 2

Jill is showing the ups and downs on the show because she comes from a family of famewhores, and she is the first of the girls to get married. Personally, I could care less about the whole thing. And now we get the it is so awesome because I am pregnant spiel. Share this with your husband, family and friends.

Remember weddings are now about two people not just the bride and groom. There are plenty of gay and lesbian couples that are eschewing big ceremonies for something intimate. The Duggars could learn a lot from these couples what the true meaning of marriage means. Gay and lesbian couples are still denied this in over half the country and it sickens me to see them flaunt all this wedding registry, wedding ceremony et. al. in America's faces while also preaching modesty and piety.

• Love 10

I got married in 1990 and was part of weddings throughout that decade. No one could have made us wear shoes like those or walk down the aisle with our "slips" hanging our like that!

And I had to have a modest wedding not unlike Jill.

• Love 2

SNEAK PEAK:

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/19-kids-and-counting/videos/shoe-shopping.htm

Jill and the girls go look for the perfect wedding shoes for her bridesmaids.

Shoe Shopping with the Duggars
The Duggar ladies head to Famous Footwear to buy shoes for Jill's wedding. However, there is one [very important] member of the bridal party who has decided to go against the grain and forgo footwear...the bride!  "I am choosing to go barefoot at the wedding," Jill tells viewers. "I'm not one to wear heels anyway. Plus, I like the height difference between me and Derick."

• Love 1

SNEAK PEAK:

The Duggar ladies head to Famous Footwear to buy shoes for Jill's wedding. However, there is one [very important] member of the bridal party who has decided to go against the grain and forgo footwear...the bride!  "I am choosing to go barefoot at the wedding," Jill tells viewers. "I'm not one to wear heels anyway. Plus, I like the height difference between me and Derick."

My eyes rolled hard at this.

• Love 6

Dear Jill, a MODEST heel (see what I did there? :D ) would have done little to mar the precious height difference between Derick and you. No wonder there were no pictures of her feet in all of those pictures we were bombarded with from People after the wedding. They took pains to HIDE her feet! Wow, how crunchy granola (and I suppose "vintage" *eyeroll*) of her.

Wanna bet Jessa wears hooker heels ala Alyssa Bates, proving Mullet wrong about the power of sex and the feet? What's up with her statement anyway? Their Big Boss, Bill Gothard, was well known for his disgusting foot fetish; talk about someone in deep stages of denial!

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 6

Ugh. I didn't even enjoy helping with wedding stuff with my actual friends. I'm a terrible friend cos during the bachelorette party (which I am betting the Duggar girls skipped over) I pretended to be ill. Hanging out at a male revue was not my idea of a good night, and not what I wanted to spend my last $50 on at the time. But yeah. An entire episode of wedding planning based around a trip to Famous Footwear?! Milk it some more, TLC.

And who the hell wants to watch JimBob supervise a carpet installation? That sounds worse than watching paint dry.

• Love 2

Michelle always manages to bring up modest or modesty.  "Our family does not have any modesty issues with footwear.  There's not really a whole lot out that you could do that would be immodest with a shoe.  Maybe, I don't know."

And Jill you don't like heels, that's understandable but, you could have used flats (I think she had on white flip flops when she and Derick were leaving the reception) if you like the height difference between you and Derick.

I have to go and look for that pic where it looked like she was wearing white flip flops.

• Love 1

And helloooo -- TLC is footing the bill for part or most of Jill's wedding, so why wouldn't she want to share it in all it's ups and downs on tv?

Jill is showing the ups and downs on the show because she comes from a family of famewhores, and she is the first of the girls to get married. 

It was SARCASM.

SNEAK PEAK:

I can see going without shoes if you were having a simple little ceremony outdoors or a beach wedding, but going barefoot for a church wedding? Hmm. No.

• Love 4

Barefoot on a beach or even outdoors I get. Not inside a church. There are plenty simple yet pretty flat shoes if she had wanted to skip high heels. But whatever, it's just another bunch of nonsense these girls spout about their fiances because they really know nothing else about him. I mean I like taller guys too, but I wouldn't base my choice of wedding shoe around my fiance's height.

These girls make my brain hurt.

• Love 3

I actually wore a pair of lace slippers like the ones you were in a dance class. It's not really a sole, just a piece of leather for traction. Of course, I had to go into Victoria's Secret to buy them, which might be a problem for the Duggars....

• Love 2

How much taller is Derick than Jill, anyway? It looks like she comes up to about his shoulder, so it's not like flat shoes -- or even a tiny heel! -- would've made that much of a difference. Being barefoot at a fairly traditional, strait-laced church wedding just seems odd to me.

• Love 1

The Famous Footwear where I live is actually pretty decent, how is it possible the Duggars went there for shoes and ended up with stuff that looked like it came out of a Salvation Army bin? Why don't they just invest in a decent pair of pumps or low-heeled dressy sandals? 

Next episode: Duggars watch paint dry on the Dillard's walls.

For realz. This is getting painful. Next episode: Duggars use a leaf blower to clear the Dillard's driveway! When will it end?!

• Love 1

Maybe the Duggar feet really feel uncomfortable in regular shoes. They are either barefoot or in flip flops 95% of the time. I would think that Jill would be able to find either a kitten heel or a ballet flat that could be suitable for her wedding dress.

• Love 3

Regardless, the wedding itself already happened months ago so I dunno why they're drawing out the planning and prep portion. Ratings? Lack of other content? I mean shit, Jill's already knocked up with Dillard #1. There's not exactly much of a surprise element left.

• Love 2

Regardless, the wedding itself already happened months ago so I dunno why they're drawing out the planning and prep portion. Ratings? Lack of other content? I mean shit, Jill's already knocked up with Dillard #1. There's not exactly much of a surprise element left.

I think what makes it even more disingenuous is the way they act like the wedding is some huge, over the top production when we all know damn well they did everything on the cheap. Scouting country club venues? Yeah, like anyone who's watched the show over the past eight years really thought that would ever happen. 

• Love 4

Maybe the Duggar feet really feel uncomfortable in regular shoes. They are either barefoot or in flip flops 95% of the time. I would think that Jill would be able to find either a kitten heel or a ballet flat that could be suitable for her wedding dress.

I agree, it's an outdoor (?) wedding reception, you'll want something to protect your feet!  And no way to bare feet in a church!

• Love 5

All this talk about modesty made me think that wearing flip flops while saying solemn vows while a guest at an altar in GOD'S house is pretty disrespectful and lacks modesty for the situation. Just sayin'...

(and I'm not even religious but I wouldn't wear beach type shoes to a church even tho its my everyday choice.)

• Love 2

The girls could have worn bone colored flats.

Both bare feet & flip flops are soooo disrespectful in church. If she did go bare foot, maybe she took one last walk on top of the counters (in true Duggar style) before leaving for the wedding.

• Love 3

Jessa wore those sandals in a lot of her engagement shots, not to mention to the Values Voters Summit this past weekend. At least she got some mileage out of her shoes. I think I've seen Jana in her platforms a couple of times, and Anna wore hers over the summer. Not so sure about Jinger; she's behind the camera most of the time on Instagram.

This goes to the point that those shoes weren't suited for the more formal dresses; they are for more casual dresses/skirts, or...wait for it...PANTS!

• Love 2

Okay, help me with that picture, please. Left to right it goes Anna, Jinger, Jana, Jill, Jessa, ???, and Hannie? And good grief, those dresses are horrendous, even setting aside the Birkenstock vibe of many of the shoes.

Wait, is Joyless Anna in there, looking totally unlike herself?

Edited by jcbrown
(and I'm not even religious but I wouldn't wear beach type shoes to a church even tho its my everyday choice.)

Same here, and I've worked in  court houses where those kind of rubber shower shoes would be deemed unacceptable, Jill deemed them acceptable to wear, not only during a religious ceremony, but on probably the most important day of her life.

• Love 2

I actually LOVE weddings! I don't like being in weddings but I do enjoy going to weddings.

I'm curious - how do you know TLC paid for Jill's wedding? I believe it's just speculation on your part, but if you have facts or links that bear this out, please share them. I don't intend that question to be snarky and I hope it isn't taken that way. I just want to see some proof, please. Thank you so much.

You are correct. Speculation. Most reality show events such as weddings, wedding renewal ceremonies, trips, etc. are often comped or paid for by the show. This is true of many reality shows such as Real Housewives, Jon and Kate plus 8, Little People Big World, etc.

Edited by msblossom
  • Love 1

Even though I don't have hard proof that TLC pays for everything, I'm assuming they do because: a) every TLC family has had a major upgrade in lifestyle thanks to their shows, b) the Duggars in particular didn't travel, take vacations or do outings until the TLC Sugar Daddies stepped in and c) Boob is a well-documented cheapskate who made his own son haggle for his birthday present. There's no way in hell he would have paid for tickets to Nepal or flown his five daughters and wife to DC to wedding dress shop if it was coming out of his own pocket.

It's also pretty common for reality stars to be comped in exchange for free publicity for the vendors. Take the vow renewal ceremony on The Little Couple. Bill and Jen mentioned the name of the hotel ten thousand times in their TH's. They weren't doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. 

• Love 8

Michelle mentions the name of the jeweler were Jill and Derick get their rings. Comped.

Cross Church gets a plug. Don't forget, the main reception was also held there, so there was that expense to think of as well. Since Boob and Mullet were married there, I'm guessing comped or deeply discounted.

The bridal shop? Good lord, Jill and Anna's thumbs were probalby bleeding after last week's episode; they liv-tweeted the episode and mentioned the shop's name, its manager, and owner MULTIPLE TIMES. Not to mention the prominent air time it received, by name. Dress definitely comped.

Tomoroow is shoes. We know the name of the store (not a place I'm familiar with, but already mentioned and remarked upon here). Comped.

Hair and makeup episode? Let's see what is mentioned.

Nails were comped. There was a big nail party with Jill and the bridesmaids on 6/19 (I remember the date because I watched this play out on social media on my birthday). Jamberry was mentioned by name by Jill, Jessa, Anna, and Duggarfam (Jinger). They are the reason I know it was Jamberry, a company I'd never heard of before that day. Comped.

Lopsided cake? Gifted from one of Jill's former clients. Not sure who paid for the hoi polloi's sheet cakes.

Food? DONATED by delusional fans who want to be associated with these lying hypocrites.

This wedding and reception cost Boob virtually NOTHING, aside from the party they held for 600 of their best friends back on the Compound. Even there, I suspect much of the spread was paid for and prepared by people not named Duggar.

I could go on, but that's enough for one post.

(Okay, I lied. The Duggars have also not been above comping for product placement. Sweeping with Swiffers and Anna's boxed apple juice, both with products clearly displayed on the show, and commercials to follow, are two examples off the top of my head. They don't do that because they're such wonderful Christians.) But back to the products we can easily see being a quid pro quo for this clusterfuck of a wedding.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 8

Omg... I thought their shoes were an oversight, like they had to dig into their closets and make goodwill runs... Now to know they were planned!?!? I don't know if I would have put brown with those dresses, but if you were set on brown sandals could you not just get a regular pair? The platform looks so awkward on all of them, the only one I kind of tolerate is Jinger... And really more in a "lesser of two evils" sort of way, not that I actually like them.

Also, Jill not wearing shoes and claiming height, yes she is tall... But so is Derrick... Even a 2 inch heel would not put her at his height, that's fine if she wanted to look shorter, but there are alot of ways you can do it and not go barefoot... For that matter you could get cute bedazzled converse or something (not saying I would do it, but I would prefer it to flip flops) I can just imagine her going to down the aisle and her flip flops making that lovely slapping sound.

• Love 5

My primary objection to the barefoot bride is - yuck! - dirty feet! If I'd had nasty soles on the wedding night it would have been a major turn-off for my somewhat germophobic groom. Shoes are what separate us from the animals! ;-)

• Love 7