Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E07: Duggar Girls Go Glam

I can't understand how they got the bridesmaid dresses so fast considering it takes a good 6 weeks to order. I wonder if those dresses are from Walmart and they used the dress store as a prop. I highly doubt any dress store has enough $30 dresses to fit a large bridal party unless they had a cancelled order?

Sorry but shoes should never be shared or purchased used to save the difference.  

• Love 4

I know a lot of people who are against the concept of used clothing and shoes, but that's only because they haven't thought long and hard enough about it.

Next time you go into a 3-star quality hotel ask yourself how used those pillow cases, sheets and blankets are. How about the next restaurant you patronize? Do you really think those utensils, cloth napkins and drinking glasses are brand new, never been used?

Americans are ridiculously obsessed with germs. I've been shopping at thrift shops and garage/yard sales for years and have never come down with any illnesses.

Just saying. Everybody enjoy your week.

• Love 15

Can all those drinking wine throughout the show let us know your ok?

Haha, yeah I'm ok. I'm just glad I didn't think to having a drink every time Derick's name was mentioned!!

I'm steamed that Jana had to do all the bridesmaids dress alertations herself without any help from Michelle or her sisters. I hope she is wising up and tells them to buy ready-made bridesmaid dresses that are floor length and long sleeved for Jessa's wedding in November.

The dresses could have been much cuter had they bought 4 or 5 extra dresses (at only $30 each is still a BARGAIN) and made the piece on the bottom the same aqua color as the dress instead of off white. But the shoes -- those were a big FAIL.

• Love 2

I've been a long time lurker (came from twop) but finally registered so I could post this.

Did anyone else notice Jana's heart shaped diamond pendant last night in the final scene? The one of all five girls slowly walking out of the salon? Has she always worn it? I've never seen it before.

• Love 1

Anna is often portrayed as flighty and stupid and lacking knowledge, but let's remember that Jim Bob said that once she married Josh, she was the one who managed and handled all of the paperwork at the car dealership that really made it become a genuine business. And although it's just an unaccredited online program, she did do a college program, which is more than the Duggar children, in childhood education, which likely in included some class in nutrition.

Can all those drinking wine throughout the show let us know your ok?

Right?! If anyone was playing a drinking game where the catch phrase was "I'm engaged to Derick Dillard," I hope they're not too hungover this morning!

The bridesmaid's dresses looked like $30 dresses and that's the nicest thing I have to say about that. 

I doubt Anna does a lot of healthy cooking from scratch. She didn't even know the basic trick of whacking a garlic clove with a knife to break up the skin. 

I know a lot of people who are against the concept of used clothing and shoes, but that's only because they haven't thought long and hard enough about it.

Next time you go into a 3-star quality hotel ask yourself how used those pillow cases, sheets and blankets are. How about the next restaurant you patronize? Do you really think those utensils, cloth napkins and drinking glasses are brand new, never been used?
Americans are ridiculously obsessed with germs. I've been shopping at thrift shops and garage/yard sales for years and have never come down with any illnesses.

I don't get too concerned about germs, but I like to get a good amount of use out of items. Shoes tend to get worn quicker than other items. I'm not entirely opposed to buying used shoes, though. If you scout around, you can find pairs that are brand new or barely worn. I just donated a pair of brand new, little girls, white, dress shoes to our local thrift store. I just wouldn't want to purchase a pair that looked like they had been through the mill and would have little to no support for my kids' feet. 

So, no, I don't really care if the Duggars buy used shoes, I just wish they would buy their girls something other than flip flops for when they're on mission trips in SA or tiling one of their father's slum buildings. 

I doubt Anna does a lot of healthy cooking from scratch. She didn't even know the basic trick of whacking a garlic clove with a knife to break up the skin.

Hey! I never knew that until last night either. I wanted to give that woman a hug. 

• Love 3

Used shoes would bother me both because if they've been worn much they have conformed to the previous owner's feet (trust me, I wore hand-me-downs much of my childhood, including shoes) and also while you can clean/sterilize glassware and linens, you can't really clean most shoes thoroughly.  I'd worry about warts and such being transmitted.

• Love 2

Don't understand the brown shoes and belts.  White or ivory would have looked much nicer.  As for the dresses, poor Jana did her best.  While I would not have picked that style, they weren't totally hideous.  Yes, if the extra layer had been the same colour it would have looked better, but finding an exact match was probably impossible.

Just feeling bad for Jana.  I hate it when certain family members are designated as the "go to" workhorse and never shown any appreciation for all their efforts.

• Love 4

I'm with you on this. Also, I think some forget that 'new' clothes and shoes you buy from the store aren't new at all. Plenty of people have touched them. Those 'new' shoes at Macy's could easily have been tried on by someone in bare feet who has a foot fungus, but people don't seem to have a phobia about that. I love a good consignment store and I am not concerned about germs to the point where I'd completely pass up good finds. Many people have worn used clothing and shoes in their lifetime and lived to tell the tale.

I understand not wanting to buy obviously used shoes for children as their feet are still growing, but there are plenty of never used children's shoes in thrift stores because kids grow so fast.

• Love 7

The shoes were a gift from Famous Footwear I would have loaded up! I love shoes. I have way too many pairs to count. Right now I'm working on cleaning out my closet of the summer shoes and getting the fall/winter ones ready.

And  I agree buying used shoes is really gross to me since most of my shoes are from Kohl's and I have gotten them for nothing with 30% off and Kohl's cash. 

I think part of Jana's problem is she doesn't stand up for herself. Here's what I would have done:

Jill: Do you mind doing the alterations for the bridesmaid's dresses?

Me (in front of everyone): Sure! Hey Jessa, you can sew well. Why don't you help me?

She could have totally put Jessa on the spot to where Jessa would have looked like a total bitch for refusing to help. Jana is too meek and sweet, she has to have a sneakier mind:) 

• Love 7

I'm another person who doesn't buy used shoes. I don't have anything against those who do, but it's not for me. I try to take very good care of our more expensive boots and shoes and take them as needed to the cobbler to have them re-soled and have the heels repaired, etc. I spray our leather and suede shoes/boots with protectant each season. You'd be surprised how long a good pair of shoes can last.

• Love 3

Same goes for shoes, Michelle said there is no need for modest footwear.  What about the man who has a foot fetish? I remember we use say that when a shoe showed the separation between your toes that it showed 'Toe Cleavage'.

Well that made me laugh- because all I could think of when MEchelle was saying that was that I wonder what she would think about some stripper heels. Are these okay?  I think they would look so special with that damn denim skirt.

stripper-shoes.jpg

• Love 1

I've always wondered if Jana was truly "rebellious" or "spunky" or "feisty" or if that was just being the oldest child trying to keep things running along and orderly.  It would have been more noticeable in her -- being "bossy" as the oldest girl than it would be in a Jessa or Jill, since they would have been so much physically smaller, but even in the earliest specials, Jana never seemed any of those things to me except very gentle and very sweet.  That the family dialogue is that she was the one who needed such discipline and punishment, I imagine that she is perhaps a little sneakier than the rest of them.  For instance, the question about "dating" or "seeing" anyone means nothing -- unless she's "courting" the answer to all of the above is "no."  And then it was JoyAnna who treated us to the long diatribe about marriage being a lot of work.  

I was actually rather surprised that Jessa can sew well.  We're so used to hearing how little Jessa does well, that it was rather strange to hear that she has a useful skill, even if she wasn't actually doing it.

• Love 1
Jana got the confidenace and ability to make her own decisions knocked out of her as a child.

Not to mention every time she dares to admit being unhappy she gets sent off to be reprogrammed. It must really suck for her especially when she sees her sisters getting away with doing nothing. She was the only one sewing at the tea party. Jessa could have helped but you know who also could have helped. The bride. Its her wedding, put down the snacks and pick up a needle. The only way my sister ever would have gotten me to help with that much work would be if she was right their along side me sewing away. 

I do have a general question, do people really feed kids that young squash? Do kids that young actually eat it? 

Not to mention every time she dares to admit being unhappy she gets sent off to be reprogrammed. It must really suck for her especially when she sees her sisters getting away with doing nothing. She was the only one sewing at the tea party. Jessa could have helped but you know who also could have helped. The bride. Its her wedding, put down the snacks and pick up a needle. The only way my sister ever would have gotten me to help with that much work would be if she was right their along side me sewing away.

Yes! Even if I couldn't sew I would have been parked across from her, offering to pin pieces, bring tea, fruit--anything! I just wouldn't leave her alone like that. I'd feel completely grateful, and have the need to try to make her as comfortable as possible.  I'd be making her bed every day, doing her chores...I would make sure that I would purchase an extra special gift for her, not only for her maid of honor duties, but for all her hard work and sacrifice.  Not only that, but Mama Michelle AND the other girls should have been WAY more helpful.  Michelle doesn't do shit but lay down and try to pro-create and make eggs.  That's ALL that woman does. Ever.

• Love 3

I was skeptical about the bridesmaids dresses until I saw Jinger and Jessa modeling the altered ones at the house, then I thought they were gorgeous. The bright teal really contrasted with their dark skin and hair.

I don't really feel bad for Jana having to do the alterations. She is 24 years old, works only part time, and lives and eats at the Duggar compound for free. She is also a celebrity. She's had enough opportunity to get out on her own if that's what she wants. If she's going to stick around she might as well help out her family.

Is Anna seriously going to homeschool her kids?

• Love 1

For the record, I'm perfectly OK with used shoes unless they've been too 'over used'.

Meanwhile, later that night after dinner and dessert, Jana is still sitting at the sewing table...

You know altering 4-5 dresses took longer than the time it takes to have a tea party. How rotten for everybody to enjoy tea and cupcakes while Jana sat around and did the menial labor.

If my sister had pulled that 'You're altering the dresses 3 weeks before the wedding' nonsense--I would've said, "Oh no you didn't!"

As for Josh & Anna:  I'm getting bored with the whole "I don't know how to shop or cook a healthy meal" routine. Seriously? You live in Washington D.C. !

Is there nothing else to do but cook and go shopping? Do a Google search for Hobbies and Recreation and find something else to entertain us with.

Apparently, they never leave that rental house out in the sticks; those kids can't even attend school with other DCers.  Perhaps they're in denial about having left Arkansas?  I agree; what a waste of a fascinating city!

• Love 2

There's absolutely nothing wrong with used shoes -- I haven't bought anything new except underwear for decades; why should I waste my money paying retail when someone else can do that, plus shrink it down as far as it's going, too?  A sanitizing wash, and all is well.  The only problem with shoes is that the "new" ones are there for a reason: they hurt your feet!  And you usually don't discover this until you're out walking around somewhere in them.  Comfortable shoes generally get worn out by the original wearer, except for children's shoes, which are quickly outgrown.  Why anyone would pay full price for kids' clothing that will be worn twice and discarded...  SMH!!!

All the hair looked worse after than before.

It was hinted that there may be a few more weddings in the offing, so let's hope that Jana's and Frank's is one of them (and that it's an elopement so she won't have to slave over a sewing machine again).

• Love 2

While I love Joy, I hated her hair.  Too old for her.  I thought Jinger looked beautiful.  She and Jana are the pretty ones, not snooty Jessa.

I can't believe that people who act like they are the perfect Christians are so rude and judgmental.  I've often thought this, but tonight Joy actually said "there are a lot of duds out there."  I thought that was really bad, but then I had to laugh to myself when I thought, "yes, and most of them live in your house!"

Can't stand Jessa and Ben any longer. 

Last night's episode was precious and special.  Oh, and bittersweet.  I really only watched a few minutes, I prefer to wait and read the snark on here. 

• Love 3

I thought all their hair looked terrible after the salon visit.

The salon visit just underscored how badly those girls need to lop off eight inches of dead hair and invest in a good deep conditioner. Long hair that is well styled and healthy is beautiful. Fried, scraggly too-long hair that drags your face down is not beautiful. The Duggar girls don't seem to understand the difference. 

If Jill and Jessa had helped Jana they could have knocked out those bridesmaids dresses in no time. 

ETA: SmallTownMom, it irritates me as well the way the Duggar girls talk about how there's so many "duds" out in the dating world. It's ironic coming from a group of women who barely obtained GED's, have never held jobs, have never pursued college or finished a trade, can't cook for shit and are going to be completely dependent on whomever they marry for the rest of their lives. As far as I'm concerned, most of that family would qualify as "duds."

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 10

Yes, their hair makes me itch just looking at it! I hate hair in my face or on my neck, it literally makes me itchy all over!

That being said, I get a hair cut once every three years. I never dye it and I rarely blow dry it. I donate my hair to Pantene Beautiful Lengths (their length requirement is less than Locks of Love and the hair is strictly for women with Breast cancer, which I do in memory of my Aunt). As soon as my hair is long enough I chop it all off and then as soon as it grows enough to put it in a pony tail this how it says until I can get it all cut off again.

I couldn't imagine keeping all that Duggar hair on my neck all the time and yes, the "after" at the beauty salon looked horrendous though the make up wasn't too bad!

I think part of Jana's problem is she doesn't stand up for herself. Here's what I would have done:

Jill: Do you mind doing the alterations for the bridesmaid's dresses?

Me (in front of everyone): Sure! Hey Jessa, you can sew well. Why don't you help me?

She could have totally put Jessa on the spot to where Jessa would have looked like a total bitch for refusing to help. Jana is too meek and sweet, she has to have a sneakier mind:)

Yes! One person to cut, baste or pin the hem and one person sewing on the machine and one person to cut threads, trim extras, press and hang garment. A nice little assembly line of two or three people.
  • Love 1
ETA: SmallTownMom, it irritates me as well the way the Duggar girls talk about how there's so many "duds" out in the dating world. It's ironic coming from a group of women who barely obtained GED's, have never held jobs, have never pursued college or finished a trade, can't cook for shit and are going to be completely dependent on whomever they marry for the rest of their lives.

Yes! What's plan B for these girls if any future Duggar marriages struggle with infertility?

• Love 1

I kind of thought the sewing machine in the living room with poor Jana while everyone else enjoyed the tea party was all a set up. For one thing, I sew, and Jana didn't really do much more than run a hem through the whole time she sat there. Secondly, given how they all do sew, and well, it's almost certain that they have an area in the house set up for it, with multiple machines, probably an iron, and board, and things like that. And it just so happens that the sewing machine is in the living room, Jana complains about sewing (Jana, who never complains, they are having a tea party (something else they have never done) AND Jill's wedding dress arrives?

Yeah. Well played producers. Well played.

Edited by GEML
  • Love 4

'It was hinted that there may be a few more weddings in the offing, so let's hope that Jana's and Frank's is one of them (and that it's an elopement so she won't have to slave over a sewing machine again)."

Okay, I give......who is Frank?

Edited by margol29

How would any Duggar girl know anything about all the "duds" out there to begin with? Not through experience, certainly. They have probably been raised to believe that 100% of the non "godly" guys out there are completely evil, and 98% of the Christian ones are not of quite the right stripe, and it's only of  the vanishingly small percentage left over that they even weed out the duds...and they need Daddy to make that call anyway.

• Love 3

Frank is TLC crew and some board members think they could be a cute couple. He also posted a pix of Jana "geisha" from their travels on his personal media so it fed the hope...

Edited by Almost 3000
  • Love 1

How would any Duggar girl know anything about all the "duds" out there to begin with? Not through experience, certainly. They have probably been raised to believe that 100% of the non "godly" guys out there are completely evil, and 98% of the Christian ones are not of quite the right stripe, and it's only of  the vanishingly small percentage left over that they even weed out the duds...and they need Daddy to make that call anyway.

Maybe she was referring to Bin?

• Love 1

Anna and the healthy dinner..... didn't she learn healthy choices when they still lived in Arkansas and Josh lost weight with this same personal trainer?

There was nothing this new 'friend' showed Anna that she couldn't have gotten from any of the readily available women's magazines, such as Family Circle, Woman's Day, or even ones geared toward Christian Women.  Does she never read?  I'm not much of a cook, but I 've seen all the article, and have actually purchased some cookbooks geared toward healthy eating. 

• Love 1

There was nothing this new 'friend' showed Anna that she couldn't have gotten from any of the readily available women's magazines, such as Family Circle, Woman's Day, or even ones geared toward Christian Women.  Does she never read?  I'm not much of a cook, but I 've seen all the article, and have actually purchased some cookbooks geared toward healthy eating. 

It was total filler, because the producers are trying to drag out every detail of Jill's wedding to fill a 20 episode season. Anna already admitted she knew how to bake salmon, so the "friend" had to come over and show her how to sautee vegetables? And assemble fruit kabobs? Um, okay.

• Love 5

The same boring storylines. The rest of the family comes to visit, but they arrive too early or late, Josh is called out for his eating habits, Anna has her hands full with the kids, in other words, boring!!!

I thought the purple dress Jinger tried on with the polka dot pashmina/scarf/whatever was totally cute!!

I thought so too. It was funny that Jessa said the pink dress she tried on wasn't ugly, it was ugly the way she was wearing it with all the stuff on top of it. I don't see how they could even tell what the dresses looked like with the modesty thing underneath & then a shawl over the top (were they wearing shawls/wraps because the dresses were sleeveless?) I cant believe they couldn't for a few minutes look at the dresses without all the modesty garb to see what alternations would be needed. They could have even stayed in the fitting rooms without cameras rolling.

• Love 1

I don't see how they could even tell what the dresses looked like with the modesty thing underneath & then a shawl over the top (were they wearing shawls/wraps because the dresses were sleeveless?) I cant believe they couldn't for a few minutes look at the dresses without all the modesty garb to see what alternations would be needed. They could have even stayed in the fitting rooms without cameras rolling.

And the dumb thing is with Jessa and the sheer shawl she had on, you could totally see her bare shoulder through it as she was walking back into the dressing room. 

I think they once said the sewing room was in the girls closet. So I'm not sure if they brought the machine down just to show Jana working.

I believe there is a video editing bay in the boys closet.

• Love 1

I know nothing about sewing, but it seems to me it would have been easier to pick out a fabric and make those bridesmaids dresses from scratch, seeing all the work Jana had to put into modifying them.  I'm sure they didn't spend a penny on those dresses even though those cost "$30" each so they must of had to pick something from that store as a promotional thing.  Did they show the name of the bridal shop?

• Love 1

The same boring storylines. The rest of the family comes to visit, but they arrive too early or late, Josh is called out for his eating habits, Anna has her hands full with the kids, in other words, boring!!!

Well, to be fair, their lives ARE boring, no matter what the storyline this week.

• Love 1

Does Mackenzie have pierced ears? That really surprises me. Pierced ears were right up there with tattoos in the Things That Are Horrifically Sinful and Will Send You Straight to Hell on the fundie circuit.  Only gypsies and *whispers* Catholics pierce ears!

It was total filler, because the producers are trying to drag out every detail of Jill's wedding to fill a 20 episode season. Anna already admitted she knew how to bake salmon, so the "friend" had to come over and show her how to sautee vegetables? And assemble fruit kabobs? Um, okay.

I had read an article once on Reality TV that said each family member is paid a certain amount for each episode they appear in.  From what I understood, if they do not appear in the episode, they do not get paid.  I am sure this is why story lines are being made up about Josh & Anna in order to keep them on the payroll. 

That whole 'storyline' about Anna discovering Farmer's Market's was so far fetched...she was acting as if she did not realize something like this existed.  We had Farmer's Markets in the city of San Francisco - I am sure there were plenty of them in Arkansas! I really think that in their dense minds, they think that they are teaching us something that we know nothing about.   Anna meets some stranger at the Farmers Market & invites her over to her house to appear on camera to show us how to make fruit kabobs? 

Why in the world "purchase" a formal wedding gown if you are going to be going bare footed? That just blows my mind that she is not going to wear any shoes at all because she likes the height difference between the two of them.  From what I saw, most of the girls chose a casual flat sandal, why not go with something like that rather than being barefooted?  Do any of the girls wear shoes other than flip flops or sandals?