Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E07: Duggar Girls Go Glam

I'm sorry, did I miss something here? Jill's wedding dress was vintage? Hey, I watch Say Yes To The Dress a lot, and I don't think her dress is vintage at all..it's a "today' wedding gown, isn't it? I saw nothing "old world/style/vintage" at all. It certainly wasn't strapless, corset fit and red carpet glam that some of these girls choose, but vintage? No. what era was she supposed to look like? The only thing I saw vintage or 'era like" were the middle boys with those silly newsboys caps etc... This attire was just a disaster IMO. I think the little girls and Grandma Duggar looked appropriate. Grandma looked downright elegant in her gown. The color suited her, but with the wedding party in that mint color also, there was just too much of it and it was a little nauseating to me. I also think that Jill's dress didn't fit her correctly as it was too big in the waist and made her look heavier and thicker than she actually was.

• Love 4

I'm sorry, did I miss something here? Jill's wedding dress was vintage? Hey, I watch Say Yes To The Dress a lot, and I don't think her dress is vintage at all..it's a "today' wedding gown, isn't it? I saw nothing "old world/style/vintage" at all. It certainly wasn't strapless, corset fit and red carpet glam that some of these girls choose, but vintage? No. what era was she supposed to look like? The only thing I saw vintage or 'era like" were the middle boys with those silly newsboys caps etc... This attire was just a disaster IMO. I think the little girls and Grandma Duggar looked appropriate. Grandma looked downright elegant in her gown. The color suited her, but with the wedding party in that mint color also, there was just too much of it and it was a little nauseating to me. I also think that Jill's dress didn't fit her correctly as it was too big in the waist and made her look heavier and thicker than she actually was.

This confused me also - how was that dress vintage? oNCE again, they all need a dictionary.

Maybe in Jill's world, ivory lace=vintage looking.

I think this is what they mean. Keep in mind these aren't highly literate or creative people. They don't really have a vocabulary of their own, sadly enough, only words people have given them to repeat back. That Jessa knew to say vintage is pretty good.

• Love 3

Vintage would have been wearing MEchelle's gown that I believe belonged to Grandma.

I thought Jill's dress was too big and that the bridesmaid dresses were a complete disaster. Hopefully Jessa (who knows fashion *insert eyeroll*) will pick bridesmaid dresses that are not butt ugly and fitted with a modesty pillow case for the hem.

• Love 3

Jill's vintage-dress vision drives the search for her bridesmaids' attire as she and her sisters also discuss their hairstyles and makeup.

How are they going to drag this out for a half-hour episode??

• Love 1

I agree Jill's dress needed better tailoring in the waist. The gown itself was pretty, but looked a tad potato-sackish on Jill.  The bridesmaids dresses were an epic disaster. I think Jill tried to incorporate every Pinterest idea she liked and the result was an incohesive mish-mash of attire and themes.

• Love 3

I agree Jill's dress needed better tailoring in the waist. The gown itself was pretty, but looked a tad potato-sackish on Jill. The bridesmaids dresses were an epic disaster. I think Jill tried to incorporate every Pinterest idea she liked and the result was an incohesive mish-mash of attire and themes.

Yes. This.

When you come from a world and a household where real creativity is not only absent but suspect, you simply try to imitate something. And then adapt it to your standards. This is ok with some things, but an utter fail with others. This is probably the best description of what Jill's wedding "planning" was.

• Love 5

If Jill didn't want to show off her curves, and therefore chose to alter the look of the dress by having it fit incorrectly, then she should have just found a dress silhouette that would not hug her curves.  An empire dress, for example.  I always like some of the beautiful gowns used in period films--films like a Jane Austen book adaptation.  They don't hug the body, although they are cleavage-baring, which could be alleviated with beautiful lace (instead of whatever the hell those Duggar girls do with their dresses).

I'm trying to imagine what Deanna, Grandma, and Amy thought of Jill's bare feet!

• Love 3

How are they going to drag this out for a half-hour episode??

Believe me, if you've ever been formal dress shopping that shit takes FO-R-EV-ER. Every possible dress needs to be studied. Then someone has to try it on. It's a process of torture, I tell you. I love my friends, but I hate being in their wedding parties. And the whole time you have to stay happy, cos this is a happy occasion.

• Love 4

Believe me, if you've ever been formal dress shopping that shit takes FO-R-EV-ER. Every possible dress needs to be studied. Then someone has to try it on. It's a process of torture, I tell you. I love my friends, but I hate being in their wedding parties. And the whole time you have to stay happy, cos this is a happy occasion.

You're correct that it can take forever for the rest of us to pick out dresses. I left out the word "formal" cuz what the Duggar gals wore is not considered formal in my book. From what I can tell by the quick previews, it looks like the girls were trying on dresses that they knew they wouldn't like. I know dresses can look different when you get them on, but from what they had on it looks like they were trying on dresses for the sake of creating a dragged out storyline. And, of course, we'll have to hear that Jill is marrying Derickdillard (I consider it one word now), the courtship rules & the modesty crap. Wonder if the girls had to wear a modesty cape? If so, did they have enough to go around or did they share? Yuck- brain bleach please.

• Love 1

Ugh the hair is from the 70's. Don't these people have magazines to look through when they are at the stylist's shop? Reminds me of the Lawrence Welk hour where all the singers at the time had the big hair. #anotherepicfail

And why does Jinger sound exactly like MEchelle?? I'm scared now.

Edited by Fuzzysox

Joy looks like a mini- Kelly Clarkson in the 'after'.

This episode looks epically boring. How much longer are they going to drag this crap out? The Little People kid got married a week and a half ago and the previews of the wedding episode were already being shown last week.

Jill is being filmed for the show and she's on her cell phone? Who is she talking to ? Her 'friends' are all with her. If it's DerickDillard, isn't she supposed to have her chaperones listening in?

What's next? The Duggar girls shop for those cafe curtains to put under their dresses?

• Love 6

What the hell was that? There is not enough cab in the world, so I vote no.

Why not put a paper bag over your heads to maintain "modesty"? 

Ok I guess I put it in the wrong show but "WTH" could apply to just about any Duggar episode yea?

Edited by Chicklet

There's NO WAY that Joy Anna liked her hair after the salon (or maybe it was just me who didn't like it). She looked like a 40 yr old woman! (Nothing wrong with that; I'm 41). But seriously come on. That was bad.

Loved Michael knee-slapping himself after Mckenzie said she didn't like healthy good. He just couldn't contain his laughter! Hah! That was cute.

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 1

Did one of the pop-ups really say that combined, the Duggar children have more than two million strands of hair? Seriously, show? All reality producers need to study this season as an exercise in plumbing the depths of filler.

• Love 6

Honestly, after seeing the episode, I like the dresses & shoes. Both are pieces that the girls will wear again & are versatile. Considering all the modesty talk, the dresses & shoes could have been boat neck horrible ugly satin dresses with Mary Jane's covering the whole foot for each girl. I think the dresses could have been tailored better but Jana did a much better home job then anyone I know could do!

I had to laugh when they were in Famous Footwear because I kept thinking about other girls who would go into the store and pick up those shoes normally. We've been making fodder about the shoes but it's crazy that they WEREN'T from Goodwill and were new shoes in a Payless type store! All stores DO have those icky brown sandals that you wouldn't think anyone would like but some girls do. My sister told us we could wear any type of silver heel for her wedding so I thought it was fine that they wore different types.

GOD DAMN IT. Every single episode starts out with Jill stating "I'm engaged to Derick Dillard". I cannot deal with this any more. Someone needs to put together a super cut of every time Jill says she is engaged to Derick.

• Love 2

I'm shocked that Joy Anna is so much more blunt than the other older girls, and doesn't "fear" repercussion/re-training etc. I wouldn't think a fundie girl would say that marriage is too much work, there are so many guys who are duds, and then when you find one you have to spend SO much time talking to them. She honestly sounds like any number of normal teens I know who don't date because it is so much "work" -- i.e. finding the right guy and then constantly having to talk/text/go out even if you aren't in the mood. I'm shocked that JB is ok with her going on camera and saying this -- won't it scare off the fundie suitors.

Jana seemed honest when she said that she'll hopefully be ready when the right guy comes along but she's ok waiting. It honestly doesn't seem like she is "desperate" to start a courtship the way so many fundie girls are. In the next episode she did seem "resentful" in her "keeping sweet" Jana way, when she was frantically sewing dress after dress while everyone else was sitting there eating tea and cupcakes. She actually said -- I don't know why I was asked to do it, I'm not the only one who can sew and then she pointed out that Jessa, Jill and her mom are good seamstresses too. I can see Jill not doing it -- that's why she has bridesmaids. And in that family it's no surprise that Jana and Michelle weren't going to step up when Jana could just slave away. 

• Love 7

Jill and Joy in the kitchen at the beginning totally felt like a mother-daughter scene. I don't think I've ever got that feeling from Michelle. 

It was funny, yet sad, when the stylist asked Jana if she was dating, Jana said no, and the stylist was all, "Oh, you're just living the single life" HA! Yea, no. For most the single life doesn't mean wrangling 12 kids while your mother waxes poetic about "seasons" as she walks the treadmill with her Starbucks in hand. 

I thought the girls looked SO ridiculous with all the modesty modifications they threw together while trying on various bridesmaid dresses. Could they not have turned off the cameras for a bit and just tried them on like regular human beings? Or would they still be in danger of defrauding the bridal shop owner? I wonder if they change in front of each other at home? Or do they have to grab a bed sheet real quick if someone walks in while they're in various stages of undress?

Oh, who am I kidding? We all know they don't have bed sheets!

I did like the dresses they chose, but agree that the nude panel at the bottom was superfluous and ugly. 

As for Josh and Anna's scenes - I have to say if their kids are already eating salmon she's doing pretty good. My kids wouldn't touch it. Or green beans. Or squash. Sigh....they don't eat junk, not at all. But they are pretty picky. And I LOVED Mackynzie and her stank face as she pulled the squash back off her fork.

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 2

Honestly, after seeing the episode, I like the dresses & shoes. Both are pieces that the girls will wear again & are versatile. Considering all the modesty talk, the dresses & shoes could have been boat neck horrible ugly satin dresses with Mary Jane's covering the whole foot for each girl. I think the dresses could have been tailored better but Jana did a much better home job then anyone I know could do!

I had to laugh when they were in Famous Footwear because I kept thinking about other girls who would go into the store and pick up those shoes normally. We've been making fodder about the shoes but it's crazy that they WEREN'T from Goodwill and were new shoes in a Payless type store! All stores DO have those icky brown sandals that you wouldn't think anyone would like but some girls do. My sister told us we could wear any type of silver heel for her wedding so I thought it was fine that they wore different types.

ITA that Janna did a good job with the dresses, they looked cute. 

I liked watching Anna cook. 

All of my kids like to eat different things, so it's tough...

Not her exact words, but I was surprised she cared about what they liked. This whole religion or values thing seems like they'd be "You'll like/eat what we put in front of you and say you will." I'd be surprised if Michelle cares or knows which foods each of her kids likes.

Two "I feel like I got some practical advice." Anna said this talking about the cooking advice. I couldn't help, but think unlike the advice you get from your in-laws.

My fundie-lite friends are also big on dresses you can "wear" again. 

"We decided to go with the dress that requires the most work. Poor Jana" Jessa

Why not buy a dress at another place that doesn't have that much to change? Can you really claim that you love the dress if you alter it that much?

I thought those dresses were even uglier up close than in the pictures.  The Roloff wedding had the same vintage feeling only done 100x better.  The Roloff's pulled it off.  The Duggar wedding looked like a very cheap imitation. 

I thought it was awful that the girls were enjoying the desserts and "tea party" while Jana, ever the faithful servant, was slaving away on the dresses.  Jana really is like a Duggar Cinderella.  Hopefully, some dashing man sweeps Jana off her feet and takes her away. 

How many years has Anna been married and she still doesn't know how to cook a healthy meal? And she had to be shown a farmer's market?  I thought practically every season since she's been on the show she's shown the viewers how she's such a great homemaker that prepares healthy meals for her bloated husband--who by the way did not like the salmon and peaches. He said he liked it while shaking his head "no."  He was lying.  He was taking tiny bites too.  At least he wasn't rude about it though. 

• Love 3

I felt sorry for Cinder-Jana too. I think the dresses would have looked better with another teal layer vs the stark white layer on the bottom. I think she did a good job though.

"Hannie". It is one of my pet peeves when you name a kid & call it another name. They should have just named her Hannah. But that doesn't fit into the stupid J name game.

The comment that shocked me was when Jessa said the pink bridesmaid's dress was pretty, but you couldn't tell because of "all the extra stuff she had to wear"- paraphrasing. I think she would have enjoyed showing that dress the way it was on the hanger without the modesty shirt, shawl, etc.

Joy really looked sad in the kitchen with Jill.

I was very surprised to find out that wearing make up is a must do in order to accentuate your God Given Looks (read this in an article). I thought they could not do anything that brought attention to their bodies/looks.  Same goes for shoes, Michelle said there is no need for modest footwear.  What about the man who has a foot fetish? I remember we use say that when a shoe showed the separation between your toes that it showed 'Toe Cleavage'.

I wonder what the women at the bridal store thought of the way they were altering the dresses-I thought the dress was odd looking...too casual for a wedding.

Josh & Anna sure do make adorable kids! 

• Love 1
I thought it was awful that the girls were enjoying the desserts and "tea party" while Jana, ever the faithful servant, was slaving away on the dresses.  Jana really is like a Duggar Cinderella.

Yea, she's really "living the single life", isn't she? 

Free Jana!

How many years has Anna been married and she still doesn't know how to cook a healthy meal? And she had to be shown a farmer's market?  I thought practically every season since she's been on the show she's shown the viewers how she's such a great homemaker that prepares healthy meals for her bloated husband

The fact that Anna's kids already know and eat salmon, and also were eating fingerling potatoes and green beans with no protest, leads me to believe she has still been cooking fairly healthy. I'm not saying they're perfect. And I imagine Josh really likes to indulge, because of the crap he was brought up on. But I'm guessing the show is running out of storylines for them, so they decided - "Hey! The Duggars 2.0 got off track with their eating! Let's have ANOTHER instructional episode to help them out!" 

• Love 3

I was also of the I guess mistaken opinion that the five dollars for a good time makeup look would go against modesty standards.Maybe they figure it draws males eyes to the face instead of playing guess the size of my boobs inside my in no way fashionable clothing.I usually cringe when Anna is on screen but her hair was actually pretty in a few shots there.Does the idea of used footwear bother anyone else here?I have bought used clothing for my kids but I drew the line at underwear or shoes.

• Love 3

I really wish they had chosen something other than white for that lower panel; it really does look like a slip.  If they couldn't match the original color, then maybe a contrasting color--more of a blue or green.  But all I can think of when I see that picture is "Hey, hike up your slip!"

I live in Florida and thus live in flip-flops, and you can walk in those without the slapping, with a bit of practice.  It's no worse than the clomping with wooden soles.  But yes, in a church some footwear should be worn.  Even by us flip-flop-wearers.

• Love 2

For the record, I'm perfectly OK with used shoes unless they've been too 'over used'.

Meanwhile, later that night after dinner and dessert, Jana is still sitting at the sewing table...

You know altering 4-5 dresses took longer than the time it takes to have a tea party. How rotten for everybody to enjoy tea and cupcakes while Jana sat around and did the menial labor.

If my sister had pulled that 'You're altering the dresses 3 weeks before the wedding' nonsense--I would've said, "Oh no you didn't!"

As for Josh & Anna:  I'm getting bored with the whole "I don't know how to shop or cook a healthy meal" routine. Seriously? You live in Washington D.C. !

Is there nothing else to do but cook and go shopping? Do a Google search for Hobbies and Recreation and find something else to entertain us with.

• Love 7