Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: Last Rites

Tara Ariano

I was really bugged by Setrakian's flashbacks. Not only they were overlong and had an unnecessary amount of useless scenes (camera panned on the rope *three* times, it's like we'd never guess that going into vampire tunnels with only one rope and without wrist watch is stupid; then there was this water drinking scene; and so on), but middle-aged!Abe's hair was ridiculous looking. It basically screamed prosthetics, and, worst of all, it had the same problem as Eph's wig had - its glue reflects light constantly. In the scene when he cuts his wife's heart, flame's reflected light makes it really really shiny and visible. If the story would've been good, then I could overlook it (I liked concentration camp flashbacks, for example, which had their share of problems). But, sadly, Abraham showed himself as a cocky doofus in them, forgetting to time his entry to the tunnels, not breaking a grappling hook, not trapping his rope or hiding his horse better, etc.

Eph is a horrible speaker, you'd think that he never even gave an interview. Actually, it was really strange, because in first episode he seemed to be in ease before camera. Also you'd think he'd try to push a conspiracy angle, God knows that general public loves 'em. But, for some reason, he was babbling like a highschooler.

Not enough Mr. Quinlan.

• Love 2

What did Abe have the door/wall reinforced with?  I mean the vampire henchmen worked on that for what seemed like hours so our heroes could get a way, Nora could say goodbye and behead her mom and Abe could say good bye to that grayish looking heart with worms squirming in and out of it that was once his wife's.  Sheesh.  All the while you could hear the vamp henchmen banging away trying to get in.  Only for Nazi vamp to talk to Abe though what looked like glass windows in floor. What?  And last but not least the room they were all fortified in had WINDOWS!  I saw them behind Nora during her tearful take down of her mother.  What?  Really?  And once the Vamps are finally in the basement they just kind of looked around like ok now what?  UGH! 

Still will watch this show.  Hell I still watch Under the Dumb (Dome) and that is so beyond ridiculous it is funny.  And I don't even like any of the characters but its a train wreck I just can't stop watching. 

Edited by gaPeach

That fortified room was also apparently not sound proofed.  Eichorst was using his regular indoor voice to taunt Abe.  Abe and crew were using their outdoor voices to discuss how they were going to escape.  Yet somehow Eichurst didn't hear them talking about this backdoor tunnel they were going to use as the plot demanded that the crew escape as soon as they dropped the annoying grandma.  

• Love 1
I was disappointed to see Nora's mom go. She could have been a very interesting character and added to the depth of character on the show (though I don't think they were fully utilizing her at all for that).

I would have paid folding money to see Mrs. Martinez pull a gun from under her pillow, blow the back of Gabriel's head off, and rant that she moved to America to get away from things like Ongania's vampire death squads.

• Love 6

So yeah, Nora's mom was going to go sooner rather than later, you can only do so much.

I thought the reason the vombie squad took Gus was because they found out he's the one that drove the box across the river and delivered it 'somewhere' and as far as they know, Gus is the only one who knows where the box is.  The vombies (hopefully) want to take out the master, so they have to find the box.

• Love 1

I forgot the name of Jaime Hector's character in this show, but he was way too laid back and simultaneously emotive to be Marlo.

I just meant that every time I see him in a different role, I can't help but think of him as Marlo.  The Wire made a huge impression on me.  

More opera this week, played over Abe's wife's death. From Henry Purcell's "Dido and Aeneas", known as Dido's Lament:

When I am laid, am laid in earth, May my wrongs create

No trouble, no trouble in thy breast;

Remember me, remember me, but ah! forget my fate.

Remember me, but ah! forget my fate.

Whoever does the music for this series shows a lot more subtlety than the writers.

• Love 3

I liked this show up until the standoff at the gas station. Now, I feel like more than just Sean Astin died in that episode - everything presented to me since has been asshole behavior from asshole people. Dutch is about as convincing a character as her clip-in streaks, her flirtation with Guy With Teeth is forced and I feel they lack chemistry, Eph remains insufferable and when Mrs. Martinez remarked how Nora was good at public speaking, wouldn't that have been a good time to realize she should deliver the message? She has credentials, too... but noooo, she has to angst and cry some more in another scene that feels forced and hammy.  

God, show, WHAT HAS HAPPENED?

• Love 1