Type keyword(s) to search

Scheduling & Ratings for The Flash

Just Here
  • Start Topic

The real issue with ratings is that the CW's audience age group are mostly streamers/cord cutters... and CW isn't available in all markets to stream live.  That's why CW uses week after streaming numbers from the app, DVR and other streaming services to figure out actual viewership.

This is why the Nielsen ratings are outdated.

I was having trouble realizing why ratings for this network seem impossibly low - and yet Flash is still the highest rated on the network.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, phoenics said:

The real issue with ratings is that the CW's audience age group are mostly streamers/cord cutters... and CW isn't available in all markets to stream live.  That's why CW uses week after streaming numbers from the app, DVR and other streaming services to figure out actual viewership.

This is why the Nielsen ratings are outdated.

I was having trouble realizing why ratings for this network seem impossibly low - and yet Flash is still the highest rated on the network.

Yeah, CW shows do better on streaming services than most popular shows on other network. That is why CW renew shows that do really bad in ratings. 

• Love 1

Upcoming schedule:

3/10/20 - 6.14 - "Death of the Speed Force"

3/17/20 - 6.15 - "The Exorcism of Nash Wells"

3/24/20 - *a rerun*

3/31/20 - 6.16?

---

If the season finale is May 19th, then there should be one more week with a rerun. (Probably in April?)

I want to see if the ratings bounce back a bit next week, since this week's dip in particular could be because of the Bachelor finale and the daylight savings time change.

... And CW has started padding the schedule with more reruns; since there's a very good chance there may not be as many episodes as planned this season because of the pandemic.

3.16 ("So Long and Goodnight") which would have aired March 31, has now been replaced by a rerun.

According to Spoiler TV the CW will air Supergirl/Batwoman episodes of the crossover

Effective March 30, WHOSE LINE IS IT ANYWAY? will air Monday nights at 8p and 8:30p. The final airing of SUPERNATURAL will be Monday, March 23 until further notice.

Monday, May 18 will be WHOSE LINE IS IT ANYWAY? at 8p & 8:30p and ROSWELL, NEW MEXICO at 9p (replacing the previously booked SUPERNATURAL night).

To recap:

Mondays, starting 3/30/20
8-8:30p WHOSE LINE IS IT ANYWAY?
8:30-9p WHOSE LINE IS IT ANYWAY?
9-10p ROSWELL, NEW MEXICO

Monday, 5/18/20
8-8:30p WHOSE LINE IS IT ANYWAY?
8:30-9p WHOSE LINE IS IT ANYWAY?
9-10p ROSWELL, NEW MEXICO

Repeats of the five crossover episodes will air over three nights in April:

SUPERGIRL on Tuesday, April 7 at 8p
BATWOMAN on Tuesday, April 7 at 9p
THE FLASH on Wednesday, April 8 at 8p
ARROW on Thursday, April 9 at 8p
DC’S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW on Thursday, April 9 at 9p

To recap:

Tuesday 4/7/20
8-9p SUPERGIRL crossover part one (R)
9-10p BATWOMAN crossover part two (R)
[note: THE FLASH and DC'S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW will be preempted this night]

Wednesday 4/8/20
8-9p THE FLASH crossover part three (R)
9-10p NANCY DREW
[note: RIVERDALE will be preempted this night]

Thursday, 4/9/20
8-9p ARROW crossover part four (R)
9-10p DC’S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW crossover part five (R)
[note: KATY KEENE and LEGACIES will be preempted this night]

https://www.spoilertv.com/2020/03/updated-cw-schedule-including-tonights.html

They're really going to have a month between the last new episode and the next?? I guess post-production could be stalled, but at least 6.16 should be done. They should just air it while they have have a (literally) captive audience, ASAP.

9 hours ago, Trini said:

They're really going to have a month between the last new episode and the next?? I guess post-production could be stalled, but at least 6.16 should be done. They should just air it while they have have a (literally) captive audience, ASAP.

It looks like it'll be even longer. It seems like The Flash (and most CW shows now) won't be coming back for the next few MONTHS. Post production studios are completely shut down right now and it's unclear when they'll reopen. It's possible that post production for 6x16 isn't even fully completed. I thought originally that they were just delaying a couple of weeks to see what would happen. But, hearing from other CW shows (Supernatural, in particular) and how their post production for the next episode isn't done, hence why they need to go on hiatus, The Flash is probably in the exact same scenario. 6x16 still needs some work done on it, but they can't now, so they have to hold on the episodes for a while.

But I'm not 100% positive. I could be wrong, but I'm not convinced the show is coming back for a while. I know the article doesn't explicitly state that The Flash/Legends/other shows won't come back for late April/May, but my feeling is that they won't.

Edited by Lady Calypso

The post/VFX company is still trying to do projects remotely, though. I know the show has a lot of VFX, but since 6.16 was originally set to air March 31, I assumed it was ready to go. Or should be by now. If it is going to be the last for a while, I think they might as well air sooner rather than later.

My other thought is that maybe TPTB are re-editing/re-writing the last few episodes that were partially completed to maybe have some sort of semi-coherant conclusion, if and when episodes can air again.

VLine has learned that DC Universe’s new live-action superhero series will now premiere on Monday, May 18, and thus make its day-after broadcast-TV debut on The CW on Tuesday, May 19, at 8/7c — after The Flash has exhausted its current inventory of Season 6 episodes. (The Flash will return to finish out its season once production resumes later this year.)

Stargirl will thus open The CW’s Tuesday nights straight away, leading into the remainder of Legends of Tomorrow Season 5. (The freshman series was originally scheduled to air after The Flash for a couple of weeks before claiming the leadoff spot.)

The fact that they never mentioned when the shows are coming back with new episodes makes me think they will be able to air maybe 1-2 episodes even if 20 episodes were filmed. The pandemic crisis is only going to get worse in US and Canada in April, maybe even through May. 

5 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

The fact that they never mentioned when the shows are coming back with new episodes makes me think they will be able to air maybe 1-2 episodes even if 20 episodes were filmed. The pandemic crisis is only going to get worse in US and Canada in April, maybe even through May. 

People said it seems like they're coming back in late APril since the article said The Flash will air the episodes filmed by May 12. It seems like they're trying to get post-production done.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, BeautifulFlower said:

People said it seems like they're coming back in late APril since the article said The Flash will air the episodes filmed by May 12. It seems like they're trying to get post-production done.

I seen different sites claim different things. I know they can do some things remotely. but what i am wondering if they can do it in tie to finish up the episodes. From what was said LOT finished almost 2 months ago and they still episodes lined up in post-production. The big rush they seem to be putting on this could make the quality of the episode questionable. 

I don't think they gave a return date for Legends of Tomorrow. For Flash every article I have read stated that they have enough episodes ready to last it through May and only then they are going on another hiatus.

Maybe they have less post-production issues than other shows? If 6x16 and 6x17 were the only episodes they completed they'd probably air them now like they are doing with episodes of  Supernatural and Legacies. I don't see the point in having us wait months to air only one/two episodes and then go on another hiatus.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Starry said:

I don't think they gave a return date for Legends of Tomorrow. For Flash every article I have read stated that they have enough episodes ready to last it through May and only then they are going on another hiatus.

Maybe they have less post-production issues than other shows? If 6x16 and 6x17 were the only episodes they completed they'd probably air them now like they are doing with episodes of  Supernatural and Legacies. I don't see the point in having us wait months to air only one/two episodes and then go on another hiatus.

From what i remember Legacies announced right the way that episode 16 will be the last of the season. So they probably had some time to put in place. We know the Arrowverse shows employ different companies for vfx, visuals and sound recording. We have seen that Flash actors have to also do ADR for certain episode. I just doubt that there is no need for actors to record ADR over several different episodes. 

What I'm now hearing directly from WB sources and one person at Legends of Tomorrow is that the problem is that advertisers everywhere are (understandably!) pulling back massively from media buys, and the CW wants to be able to offer at least some original content once this trend reverses.

This is separate from any potential post-production/ADR issues.

• Useful 1

Grant Gustin confirmed that 6.19 is the new shortened season finale. The current schedule:

April 21 - 6.16 - "So Long and Goodnight"

April 28 - 6.17 - "Liberation"

May 5  -  6.18 - "Pay the Piper"

May 12 - 6.19 -

Edited by Trini
to add title

6.16 ratings:

The Flash (1.11 mil/0.4) and Legends of Tomorrow (665K/0.2) returned steady in the demo, while each dropping just a handful of viewers.

https://tvline.com/2020/04/22/tv-ratings-empire-season-6-finale-series-finale/

The Flash (0.4, 1.12M) and DC’s Legends of Tomorrow (0.2, 665,000) returned to the CW on par with their most recent episodes.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/empire-series-finale-fox-cbs-lets-go-crazy-the-grammy-tribute-to-prince-cbs-tuesday-tv-ratings-1202914873/

6.17 ratings:

The Flash (1.21 mil/0.4) [was] steady in the demo, [and] drew its largest audience in seven episodes.

https://tvline.com/2020/04/29/tv-ratings-the-conners-season-2-episode-19/

The Flash (0.4 in 18-49) [was] in line with last week on The CW; The Flash also had its biggest total audience, 1.21 million viewers, since early February.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/conners-ncis-tv-ratings-tuesday-april-28-2020-1292398

Season 7 scheduling:

THE CW'S NEW SEASON PRIMETIME SCHEDULE EFFECTIVE JANUARY 2021

TUESDAY
8:00-9:00PM THE FLASH
9:00-10:00PM SUPERMAN & LOIS (New Series)

I thought they might pair S&L with Supergirl or Batwoman, but it makes sense putting it with The Flash.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Trini said:

Season 7 scheduling:

I thought they might pair S&L with Supergirl or Batwoman, but it makes sense putting it with The Flash.

I actually would have preferred Superman and Lois to be on Sundays at 8pm, moving Batwoman to 9pm. I think S&L is better suited as an 8pm show, since it's a family show. I get the reason, since The Flash is their best rated show and it's not a bad pairing, but I think S&L is a better 8pm show for its family theme. 

• Love 1
On 5/14/2020 at 2:45 PM, Lady Calypso said:

I actually would have preferred Superman and Lois to be on Sundays at 8pm, moving Batwoman to 9pm. I think S&L is better suited as an 8pm show, since it's a family show. I get the reason, since The Flash is their best rated show and it's not a bad pairing, but I think S&L is a better 8pm show for its family theme. 

I agree with this - I feel like it's a missed opportunity for it to hold its own on the network.

The Flash literally aired on its own without a crutch on Tuesdays at 8pm from day one and it premiered at number 1 and never relinquished that title.

S&L should be able to do the same - they are gonna lose a huge kids audience.

• Love 1

I saw the live ratings for the network and was really surprised at the gap between The Flash and all of the other shows.  The difference is probably the kids/family viewers.

Of course - the DVR/streaming ratings could be a different story that closes the gap between The Flash and all the rest, but ... eh.

cw-liveratings.jpg

My guess would be that Flash also leads in streaming ratings. 

The CW has hinted that a couple of shows -- specifically, Batwoman and Nancy Drew -- are doing better on the CW streaming platform than the ratings would indicate, and CBS financial reports keep claiming that Dynasty is the most profitable CW show, thanks entirely to international licenses. And at one point Arrow was outselling Flash on DVD/Blu-ray at Amazon.

But there's been zero hints from anyone at WB or the CW suggesting that any of the CW shows are outperforming Flash on the CW platform. And given that Amazon just pulled Arrow from Amazon Prime/Amazon streaming purchases (I assume as part of the upcoming HBOMax launch), but not Flash, my guess is that Flash will remain ahead.

On 5/15/2020 at 4:52 PM, phoenics said:

I saw the live ratings for the network and was really surprised at the gap between The Flash and all of the other shows.  The difference is probably the kids/family viewers.

Of course - the DVR/streaming ratings could be a different story that closes the gap between The Flash and all the rest, but ... eh.

cw-liveratings.jpg

For anyone who's interested, the website for this chart: https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/cw-2019-20-season-ratings/

And their page for Season 6 of The Flash: https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/the-flash-season-six-ratings/; which shows the numbers and averages for the season in a handy chart.

On 10/29/2020 at 1:05 PM, Starry said:

Is it weird that Flash and S&L are premiering last (of the mid-winter premieres)? I know they started filming a little later than some other shows, but they already had one episode that mostly done already.

Anyway, it's good to have a date now -although things could still change- but I was hoping that we'd get new episodes a month earlier.

Edited by Trini
oy, grammar

It's definitely strange that they are premiering so late. Not only that, SpoilerTV says that season 7 consists of 18 episodes only while they are planning on shooting at least 19 episodes of every other show.

Maybe post-production takes longer for Flash and Superman and Lois.

• Love 1

True, they do usually have a lot of special effects. (And maybe more this year?) 

As for the episode counts; I'm assuming all those numbers are hopeful, because there's still some uncertainty with the pandemic. We'll see if they're able to film/produce that many in the time they've allotted.

• Love 1

There hasn't been an announcement yet*, but apparently The Flash season premiere has been pushed back. CW advertised that Superman & Lois will have a 2-hour premiere on Feb. 23; and now the websites just say "coming soon" about The Flash.

Again; it doesn't make sense to me to premiere the most popular show on the network last, and then not have it lead-in the show they want to succeed (S&L).

Besides that, Batwoman came back and it dropped a lot in ratings; I expect the same for everything else since they've been off so long, and with so little promotion. Flash's average ratings was 0.44 last season; I'm expecting season 7 to be about 0.2, based on how ratings have dipped previously.

*The PR dept. is being EVEN WORSE than usual this year.

20 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Ouch! Sure its S7 but that was a quick drop from #1 to #3 on the network

In my head I immediately pictured that Grey's Anatomy scene when the hospital dropped from #2 to #12 in the rankings and everyone freaked out 😂

Covid no doubt played a big part in this with all the truncated and delayed seasons. I think COIE had a bit to do with it though too, I can't be the only one who was a little burnt out on the whole Arrowverse after that. It's still doing quite well though and I think they know what a bankable star they have in Grant so let's hope for good ratings when the real S7 starts!