Type keyword(s) to search

Scheduling & Ratings for The Flash

Just Here
  • Start Topic

11 minutes ago, shantown said:

In my head I immediately pictured that Grey's Anatomy scene when the hospital dropped from #2 to #12 in the rankings and everyone freaked out 😂

Covid no doubt played a big part in this with all the truncated and delayed seasons. I think COIE had a bit to do with it though too, I can't be the only one who was a little burnt out on the whole Arrowverse after that. It's still doing quite well though and I think they know what a bankable star they have in Grant so let's hope for good ratings when the real S7 starts!

COIE was the most wasted 5hrs of my Arrowverse life it was just that bad.

But with All American raising to series highs, Walker debuting to network highs, S&L right behind Walker....Flash definitely did something to piss off people.

• Love 1
(edited)
41 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Ouch! Sure its S7 but that was a quick drop from #1 to #3 on the network

It's #2, not counting Supernatural which ended months ago. It was going to drop anyway, but then on top of that, the extra-long hiatus and minimal promotion. It's done being #1, but I want to see how things look in a few weeks.

3 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

.Flash definitely did something to piss off people.

LOL! I don't think it's that serious, but 6B's arcs were just not as engaging, and ran too long with little progress, IMO.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Trini said:

It's #2, not counting Supernatural which ended months ago. It was going to drop anyway, but then on top of that, the extra-long hiatus and minimal promotion. It's done being #1, but I want to see how things look in a few weeks.

In demo, yeah I guess though likely will slip next week. In viewers overall, #3.

4 hours ago, shantown said:

In my head I immediately pictured that Grey's Anatomy scene when the hospital dropped from #2 to #12 in the rankings and everyone freaked out 😂

Keep Owen far far away from Vancouver!

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Trini said:

I am one of the pissed off viewers but the extra-long hiatus was the biggest culprit in my opinion. I obviously have no way to know this for sure but I believe the ratings would have been better if the show had premiered in January or February like the rest. Their March numbers are always a tragedy.

I expect it to drop next week too but it didn't take long for All American and Walker to start pulling 0.2s and Superman and Lois seems to be headed in the same direction considering it already did worse than Flash in the key demo.

• Love 1

7.02 ratings; final numbers: http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-tuesday-cable-originals-network-finals-3-9-2021.html

0.29, and 0.989 mil. for viewers. So pretty much the same as last week, a tiny bit lower. There's usually a more significant drop after the premiere, so that's interesting. Flash has less viewers, but it's doing about the same in the key demo as S&L, so far.

---

As far as scheduling; they haven't announced any extended breaks yet, but I assume the show will have a few weeks or more off at some point (like many other shows this unusual season) so that production can catch up.

Episode 7.05 key demo final: 0.21.  Looks like the show will be hovering around 0.2 (for the season?).

On 3/19/2021 at 1:32 AM, Xander said:

It'll probably be All American. 

It seems so! Good for them, I've never been able to get into it.

CW rescheduled episode 7.12 a week later, so far the schedule is:

May 25 --  7.11 - "Family Matters, Part 2"

June 1 - [S&L rerun]

June 8 --  7.12 - "Good-Bye Vibrations"

----

I'm guessing this is because S&L rating fell a lot after it's hiatus. But Flash was going to have a few more breaks before the season finale anyway, since I think they want the finale to air right before the new season of Stargirl takes over the time slot in August.

Also 7.12 would have normally been the mid-season finale, so a break after that isn't unusual.

22 minutes ago, DanaK said:

So I was wrong about the scheduling;

With the season finale on July 20th, and 18 episodes for the season, the rest of the show will run uninterrupted starting with 7.12 on June 8th.

So now I'm wondering what CW will put in the timeslot before Stargirl returns. Maybe Stargirl reruns? S&L reruns?

(edited)

CW released it's 2021-2022 Fall schedule, and The Flash stays in its same timeslot, but it will be paired with Riverdale at 9pm.

The Flash keeps its Tuesday night slot and will be paired with another Greg Berlanti series Riverdale, which moves from Wednesdays at 8pm to Tuesdays at 9pm. This is the slot that was previously occupied by Superman & Lois this past season and Arrow the year before that. The network said that the eighth season of The Flash and the sixth season of Riverdale will begin their seasons with special five-episode events that will include a number of superheroes from across the universe appearing in the former.

[ETA:] No premiere dates yet; but they seem to be aiming for October, the normal premiere time.

Edited by Trini

A little more info on fall scheduling for the show:

https://ew.com/tv/the-flash-season-8-event-episodes/

Riverdale, like The Flash, will also begin its next season with five "event" episodes, which is a way for the network to launch both shows in the fall while also accommodating their delayed production start dates.

"They will have completed production [on their current seasons] by the end of June, early July. So there will be enough of a hiatus so they will come back sometime in early September so that they're fully rested," Pedowitz said. "Because they're coming in early September, there's no way we can get eight or nine episodes up and running. So we're thrilled to have these eventize programming that we're going to do with Flash and Riverdale for those five episodes that start in mid-November."

LOL, TVLine playing both sides with putting The Flash on its list of shows that might be cancelled next season, AND on its list of shows that might make it to ten seasons.

I think right now the show is more likely to continue than not (maybe not ten, though); it's still one of CW's and DC's top TV shows, and Grant doesn't seem as burnt out or ready to move on as some other leads have when their shows ended. I've seen speculation about continuing with 'the next generation' or a spinoff; but that's highly unlikely since CW passed on the the spinoffs of Arrow and Black Lightning. I think there are characters that could have a spinoff, but the show hasn't done any setup for that.

------

BTW, Season 7 ended with a season average rating of 0.21, according to the table at TVSeriesFinale.com. Which was predictable according to the rate of decline of the previous seasons.  Comparing averages, it did almost the same as S&L. However, S&L has more viewers and their season isn't finished yet.

Next season will probably go down by half.

TV Grim Reaper speculates that CW will announce any final seasons before the fall shows start premiering (October 1, this year), based on their past behavior.

I figure if it's one of the DC shows they might wait until closer to Fandome, or maybe even announce at Fandome (Oct. 16).

CW scheduling still weird post-pandemic:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2021/11/05/the-cw-network-sets-its-midseason-schedule-230413/20211105cw01/

A three-month break after the crossover event, then the first ever time slot change!

I seen people saying it's because of the Olympics or the final season, but it just looks like that's the best way to fit in the remaining episodes of the Fall shows while premiering the Spring ones. Plus, after Batwoman and Legends finish(?) there's only 3 DC superhero shows left, and I guess they think Naomi pairs better with S&L.

On 11/5/2021 at 3:41 PM, SevenStars said:
On 11/5/2021 at 2:22 PM, DanaK said:

After the 5 episode event this Fall, The Flash returns on Wednesday March 9 at 8pm http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2021/11/05/the-cw-network-sets-its-midseason-schedule-230413/20211105cw01/

That is stupid. The Flash rating is going to take a hit but because of this stupidity. 

Probably; but ratings go down every season, we'll see how much of a difference this makes. Although with the way the CW ratings are lately, it may still end up being one of the network's top shows anyway.

9 hours ago, Trini said:

Still no final season announcement, which usually happens before the final season starts. So either this is going to Season 9, or they're waiting until after the crossover.

Isn't the crossover being touted as a separate mini-event? Possibly the announcement will come in the break after Armageddon

• Love 1
1 hour ago, shantown said:

Isn't the crossover being touted as a separate mini-event? Possibly the announcement will come in the break after Armageddon

It is, but it's still part of Season 8. But I agree if it's this season it might be after the crossover.

I am holding on to my theory that season 8 is NOT the last despite the long break. Even if they consider Armageddon a separate event January is when the network usually renews its shows. If season 8 is the last, they would want to announce it before then. Besides, Eric said that they hope to get more seasons and seemed to be optimistic about their renewal chances. IMO showrunners don't like to admit that their shows got canceled. They usually say that it was a mutual decision and that it was best to call it quits after x number of seasons. So unless something goes terribly wrong during contract negotiations, my guess is that they'll get renewed.

As for the ratings, the live numbers are in the toilet for all their shows. I doubt this is going to have a significant effect on the ratings but I consider the March "premiere" more of a problem than the time slot change.

• Love 2
On 11/7/2021 at 1:13 PM, Starry said:

... So unless something goes terribly wrong during contract negotiations, my guess is that they'll get renewed.

Grant has a new baby; I can see him doing at least one more season for stability.

----

In this interview, Wallace confirms Season 8 is eighteen episodes.

Edited by Trini

The 'Armageddon' event averaged 0.17 in the key demo, and 0.720 for viewership; similar to the rating for the end of last season, putting it #2 for CW this season, so far. Ratings are down with everything, but it's still a top show for the network.

With the longer winter hiatus and the timeslot change, ratings will take a hit - by how much is the question. I'm also curious about whether the Tues./8pm slot will help S&L at all; its ratings had dipped a lot by the end of the first season. (They need to promote it more, but apparently there's been budget cuts - or something- at CW and/or WB PR.)

I think if Season 8 is the last season of Flash we would have heard already, but the renewals announcement usually comes around the time the the Spring season starts, so sometime in the first two weeks of January we should know. But I think it's more likely there'll be a Season 9.

With the extra-long break and the timeslot change, ratings and viewership especially have dipped but at the moment it's still one of the top CW shows.

One good thing about the later Spring start is that it seems there will be less breaks in this back half of the season.

Season 9 seems like a given, but how many of the core cast will be in it, is the question for me.

• Love 1

So Season 9 is happening; but no info on whether it's the last season of The Flash (or any of those shows). However, I expect they wouldn't announce that until the current seasons are finished airing.

ETA:

I have to think at least one or two more of the DC comic book shows will be renewed later. It'll be a pretty sparse universe with only Flash and S&L.

There were a cople of interviews where the actors thought Season 8 was the last season, so Season 9 has to be the last, right?

Also the extension of this season to 20 episodes sounds to me like it's to wrap up a character's story (probably Joe?), but I'll have to wait for the finale for confirmation.

---

Anyway, there's eight more weeks until the season finale, but seven more episodes, so there should only be one more break.

1 hour ago, DanaK said:

It's really interesting and a little concerning that all* the DC shows will be mid-season. Most other shows/studios/networks have managed to catch back up after the major Covid slowdowns. So there's got to be more to it than that, I think. It's a little weird that two of the top CW shows (S&L, Flash) are going to be delayed.

Then again, they did cancel a bunch of shows, so maybe they're just trying to spread out the content that's left. Hence Stargirl being used to pad out the Fall schedule.

* (Except Stargirl, but that was supposed to be summer.)

39 minutes ago, Trini said:

It's really interesting and a little concerning that all* the DC shows will be mid-season. Most other shows/studios/networks have managed to catch back up after the major Covid slowdowns. So there's got to be more to it than that, I think. It's a little weird that two of the top CW shows (S&L, Flash) are going to be delayed.

Then again, they did cancel a bunch of shows, so maybe they're just trying to spread out the content that's left. Hence Stargirl being used to pad out the Fall schedule.

* (Except Stargirl, but that was supposed to be summer.)

There’s also the likely sale to consider to whoever they’re called

A note from TVLine's article about Candice in Season 9:

This season The Flash has been averaging 1.04 million total viewers and a 0.3 demo rating (with Live+7 playback), down 32 and 40 percent from its Season 7 run. Out of the 19 dramas that The CW has aired this TV season, it ranks No. 4 in total audience and ties Superman & Lois for second in the demo (behind All American).

The Season 8 finale is set to air this Wednesday, June 29.

I was thinking they might do a 'goodbye special', similar to what Arrow had in its last season; but with all the BTS changes at CW and WB, I doubt they have the will or the budget to put together something like that.

Might be nice to do some type of clip show to show the changes to the show over the years.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2

Longest running and last standing Arrowverse show - it would be nice if they got a little something as a goodbye to the Flash, and really to all the shows. Even a 5 minute clip package at the end of the finale with some goodbyes from folks who had done the Flash/any crossovers previously.

• Love 2

I know CW is in the midst of imploding restructuring, but it is VERY weird that the mid-season premiere dates haven't been announced by now. Or not even a teaser trailer.

In any case, I'm guessing Flash is going to be paired with Kung Fu on Wednesdays again.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

i think the new owners are looking to push them back to probably april/may and try to have less time between the old era and new era as they need some type of hype for the shows theyll be producing

April/May is way too late. But, similar to you, I also think that the main issue is them trying to figure out their summer programming; spring scheduling shouldn't be that complicated.

You'd think they'd have enough reality/game shows/foreign imports and maybe even re-runs for summer, though.

• Love 1

The 4th season of Nancy Drew takes over The Flash's timeslot on May 31; so the series finale is probably May 24.

If that's true, then there'll be 3 weeks without a new episode. ... Unless they do a series finale special as an "extra" episode. But I'm not holding my breath for that; would be nice, though.

Edited by Trini
spelling, d'oh!