Type keyword(s) to search

Rick And Morty - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Pickle Rick kicks ass; he's an asskickle!

I suspect that the neighborhood will have one less cat in the near future.

First an inter-dimensional cable show about a guy who eats poop, now a councilor for poop eaters (poop psychology!) Is this show trying to tell us something?

"Want to go get a drink?" could end up in a very, very dark place if the writers wanted to go there. And I hope they don't go there.

• Love 2

Damn, forgot to mention that I approve of Rick stopping to recycle some trash, even if he did burn through about a zillion Duracell AA batteries.

Also, the part in the sewers reminded me of a line from The Tale of the Giant Rat of Sumatra: "A rat hole! Pickles down the rat hole!"

I think it's interesting that Rick is a lot quicker to compliment Summer than he is Morty.  He drags Morty along on his adventures because he "has" to for Morty's mental shielding properties (assuming that's still a thing since Rick destroyed the galactic government).  He brings Summer because she's actively useful on her own without him having to do science-magic to her - as witness Morty's arm-ghost.

I love the way that Summer has evolved from Morty's shallow, kind of dim big sister in the early, previous reality adventures to being very much her own badass person more than capable of dealing with Rick and his stuff.  I liked the bit towards the end where Rick was doing his "Aw, Sum-Sum" and she was just "Can it, Rick.  You made your point."  Whatever the DNA mixture, Summer is clearly much more able to stand up to Rick than eith Morty or her parents.  I think he kind of admires that.

• Love 3

I loved how Dr. Wong was completely unfazed by Pickle Rick and engaged him in the therapeutic process just like she did the others.

I get the feeling that Rick is going to find that being the "patriarch" to his super-needy daughter, is a lot more work than he wanted.  I can't wait until he realizes that he's going to have to get her back together with Jerry before she drives him insane.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

I would do likewise, if the therapist was Susan Sarandon.

I thought she did okay.  Granted she was no Dr. Linda from Lucifer, but she had some game.

This episode was kinda spoiled for me because all of the promos but hot damn pickle rick is the new tiny rick :D I made a 3D version of him in his rat suit or which ever parts he had on him at that moment XD Here's a speed sculpting video of it if any1 is interested 

Hmm. I saw the Pickle Rick promo a while back, and really hoped it was just a throwaway promo gag, and not the basis for an episode. It just doesn't seem like a very Rick thing to do, to make himself that vulnerable. Even if it was to get out of family counselling. It was still funny, even if it felt incredibly contrived.

But Morty rumbling his plan, and Beth ruining it, were two nice reverses of the usual dynamic. And the passive-aggressive way she did it really gave new meaning to the idea of Rick replacing Jerry in the family, because Beth totally treated him like she would have treated Jerry, there.

I'm really not convinced that the 'guest celebrity of the week' format is necessary, and it seems like something that might be hurting the show a little. Yes, they've had celebrity voices before, but this season seems to be making a bigger deal out of them. 

And I find myself wishing they'd tone down the violence and gore. The show doesn't need it, and the over-abundance of it in this season so far feels like pandering to the lowest common denominator of their audience. That whole sequence of Rick killing rats went on too long. Far too long. And then there was Rick killing all those Russian guards. This is the first episode of the show ever, where I just rolled my eyes and started doing other things while it was on.

• Love 2
On 8/6/2017 at 8:59 PM, Galileo908 said:

First off, gorgeous animation in this episode. We saw a pickle bite a cockroach's head off and tongue its brain to move itself. And then strip a rat apart, attached its limbs to itself like an Iron Man suit and fought off and slaughtered a horde of other rats. Only this show. Also, that improved laser was amazing. Just a AA battery and a part of a video camera, I think? Loved that.

So much good stuff. Pickle Rick performing his own battlefield first aid with condiments and a stapler while Jaguar cauterized his wound with gunpowder was my fave part!

• Love 2

Totally Rick to refuse a literal Call to Adventure. And the Morty Adventure Card comes back!

Really loved the Avengers, er, Vindicators, One Million Ants was my favorite.

Someone on Reddit described this as "If Deadpool actually joined the Avengers" and that could not be more spot on. Leave it to Rick to defeat the arch-nemesis and build Saw-style death-traps in the span of a night while blackout drunk. Puzzles only Morty could solve, thus saving the universe. It was Avengers, then Civil War, then Watchmen really freaking fast. And wow, what an ending. Was not expecting a party. I did like how Rick just points out that 20 people try to kill him every week, and gets high with half of them, and how Gearhead (apparently having a big role in this season) was there.

Next week: Rick and Jerry episode! Whether Jerry likes it or not!

• Love 2

This is basic Rick . . . he is his own worst enemy, he is everybody's worst enemy, and he manages to drag everybody into the depths of his own personal hell, whether he consciously means it or not. Basically, this is "Time Heist" from Doctor Who, only with the twist getting revealed halfway through. Now I want Justin Roiland and Peter Capaldi in a recording booth together.

Hey, Christian Slater voiced a guy not named "Slater"! Progress!! Like Amy Schumer's character not being "Amy" in Snatched.

The janitor kinda looked to be the same species as Lil Poopy Butthole.. Shame about his eyes, though.

Funny that Morty carries a card that Rick has to stamp.

• Love 3

I like the ghost train guy's name: Allen Rails -> Hell on Rails.

Interesting that Maximus carries wake-up-drunk-people gas with him.

Million Ants and Morty were righter than they knew: Rick is a bigger threat than World Ender, and is a greater evil.

When Rick makes a booby trap, he doesn't mess around. I lost count of the number of different lethal-sounding sound effects that played while Maximus was getting thoroughly discombobulated.

Interesting that the most innocuous "round" of Rick's deathtrap ended up with the highest body count.

There's someone Rick really values. Too bad it's not Morty.

Looks like Noob-Noob is half of the Vindicators now.

• Love 1

Noted in passing during tonight's re-airing:

• While Morty was getting ready to leave, you could see a picture of Snuffles/Snowball hanging on the wall over the toilet.
  • During the post-credits scene in the garage, Rick did his "air quotes" with his eyebrows.
6 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

While Morty was getting ready to leave, you could see a picture of Snuffles/Snowball hanging on the wall over the toilet.

I hope one day they go visit that planet that Snowball and his friends went to.

14 minutes ago, festivus said:

I hope one day they go visit that planet that Snowball and his friends went to.

I kind of hope that they don't.  That episode ended on a genuinely positive note of hope for the superdogs.  You know if Rick and Morty visit their planet they'll end up wrecking it.

7 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

Interesting that Maximus carries wake-up-drunk-people gas with him.

He knew Rick would be coming along and was prepared.  Also, it's possible his drinking wasn't as "social" as he claimed and carried it to use on himself, too.

7 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

There's someone Rick really values. Too bad it's not Morty

There's someone Blackout Drunk Rick really values.  Regular Rick didn't remember who Noob-Noob even was.

I don't know.  I think this episode suffered a bit from a lack of Summer.  I've found that the most interesting episodes to me are the ones where she gets a larger role to play.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

Looks like Noob-Noob is half of the Vindicators now.

Rick saved Noob Noob's life by shitting on the floor. Rick most likely expected to leave everyone else behind to die, with Morty with the portal gun, but of course that didn't happen. Again, I love that Rick constructed all those deathtraps and a freaking dark ride, not to mention killing Worldender, in the span of a night, while blackout drunk.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 1

I loved how Morty literally pulled the "my adventure" card on Rick!

Didn't Rick kill Gearhead when he dropped a dime on him?

Rick managed to slaughter World-Ender AND created a "Saw" while blackout drunk in a single night? Just. Damn.

• Love 1

Rick and Jerry adventure!

The literal safest place in the universe was of course the perfect place to take Jerry. I would SO visit that place. As long as that immortality field was in place, of course.

Summer grew giant...and then looked like a Titan. That turned around really fast, faster than expected. I liked that "normalize" corrected Summer's body proportions. I think that's an important feature to have on a growth ray, it really fills in that little plot hole whenever that trope's used.

RIP My Man Mailman. And damn, Ethan came back to end up looking like the elephant man. Rick really is rubbing off on Morty.

Now that acid trip was awesome. "Cosmic apotheosis wears off faster than salvia." That really made me laugh.

ETA: Really interesting that Rick has a lot of cybernetic parts. He pretty much is Inspector Gadget at this point, isn't he? His arm just becomes a giant gun that only shoots a rubber dart. This show, you guys.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 2

Love the nocturne that was playing on the plinky piano of pathos when Jerry was all alone in his room.

Poor Jerry. His trophy got broken when Rick hauled him out the door. Probably the only one he has.

"Hoof collage"...that just ain't right.

LMAO at Summer: "There it is." (pulls dustcloth off) "Boob-ya!"

Anyone else start singing "Hurdy Gurdy Man", but substituting "Whirly-Dirly"?

LMAO again at the two kid aliens. Little boy alien kills little girl alien, then goes "Lisa...?" in a Bart Simpson-like voice. Well played, horrible show; you've made me laugh at a child being killed.

The resort is not "consequence free", as Rick put it. It's just death free. Until Rick and Jerry broke it, that is.

And a third LMAO for Jerry's unfortunate seat under the alien during the ride back. I'm just going to pretend it was an alien uvula that was slapping him in the face.

Wonder what, if anything, Summer and Beth learned from the whole experience. Also wonder where the tech-support escapees got those tiny martini glasses.

• Love 4

Damn. Anybody else figure the family needs Jerry as a target of abuse and scorn? Take him out of the equation, and Beth follows in her father's footsteps. His arrogant, oft-drunk footsteps.

Never thought of "Jerry as predator." Kinda hoping he'll grow and develop a backbone, but that's probably not going to happen.

Man, this episode hit all the notes. Beth freeing tech support, Rick and Jerry not dying, Beth going for the ending of Honey I Blew Up The Kid, Morty slowly ripping into Summer's ex while making a S'more . . . great stuff.

Heh . . . Jerry has a Titanic poster over his bed. Continuity!

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Sandman87 said:

LMAO again at the two kid aliens. Little boy alien kills little girl alien, then goes "Lisa...?" in a Bart Simpson-like voice. Well played, horrible show; you've made me laugh at a child being killed.

Yeah, that was fantastic.

1 minute ago, Lantern7 said:

Damn. Anybody else figure the family needs Jerry as a target of abuse and scorn? Take him out of the equation, and Beth follows in her father's footsteps. His arrogant, oft-drunk footsteps.

And Morty and Summer, but I had a feeling Morty was going down that path anyway. It really seems that the only person Morty will really go to bat for is Summer. Beth's getting there, but messing with Summer is an easy way to get on Morty's bad side. See, the "trial" during the premiere.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

It really seems that the only person Morty will really go to bat for is Summer. Beth's getting there, but messing with Summer is an easy way to get on Morty's bad side.

The most interesting part of this to me is that she's not his original sister/Summer.  In the season premiere he took Summer to visit his original dimension and basically showed off his family to her like they were zoo animals as examples of why Rick isn't the greatest.  And he didn't seem all that concerned when they got frozen/blasted by the Council of Ricks.  Morty has clearly connected with this Summer on a much deeper level than he ever did with his own original sister.

Honestly Rick and Morty have formed deeper connections with this iteration of the family than they did with their first.  Rick actively plotted to remove/replace Jerry as the patriarch, but still took him on the adventure, so he's more invested in certain ways in both this Beth and this Jerry.  Also, I think Rick likes and even respects this Summer more than the previous one.  He cares what she thinks of him, takes her on his adventures and, well, hell, just...

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, johntfs said:

Honestly Rick and Morty have formed deeper connections with this iteration of the family than they did with their first.  Rick actively plotted to remove/replace Jerry as the patriarch, but still took him on the adventure, so he's more invested in certain ways in both this Beth and this Jerry.

Also, he mentioned to Morty that he's running out of dimensions having a copy of the family that he can run to. Presumably he meant dimensions where there would be a minimum of fuss because the native Rick and Morty have just fallen over dead for some reason. That might make him try a bit harder to work with what he has. Also implies that he's run away multiple times before the last time.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, johntfs said:

Honestly Rick and Morty have formed deeper connections with this iteration of the family than they did with their first.  Rick actively plotted to remove/replace Jerry as the patriarch, but still took him on the adventure, so he's more invested in certain ways in both this Beth and this Jerry.

And the ending of Mortynight Run even implies that he might not be THIS universe's original Jerry, either.

• Love 2
On 8/22/2017 at 10:56 AM, Ubiquitous said:

Didn't this ep begin the same way the first one did, with Rick barging into Morty's room and dragging him off on some adventure?

Now that you mention it, yeah, it totally did.  Good catch.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 1

"Come on, 20 minute adventure!"

6 DAYS LATER.

That was great.

So literally separating Rick & Morty's toxins was really interesting. All of their negative emotions, their violent impulses and pain are gone, and manifesting into their own people. Confident Morty was just weird to watch. Without Rick's influence, he's hyperactive, even more awkward, and he doesn't stutter. Also interesting how Rick without his toxins gave him a normal skin tone and also really odd to watch. He essentially became...normal. And a doormat. So like Rick to think his love for Morty is a weakness that needed to be purged.

Detoxed Morty became Patrick Bateman was funny as hell. But Morty went back to normal so quickly, he knew it was inevitable that Rick would give him back his toxins, right?

I also loved the little Voltron drones. I hope they come back.

Next time: Atlantis! Will they run into Scrooge McDuck? And I hope Stacy comes back eventually, too.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 1

Once again: Rick is his own worst enemy. Morty? Basically, he's a balloon filled with all the helium in the world, and his neuroses are a comically-oversized anvil. Cut that away, the kid can go high. Too high. Really high without drugs. The marriage counseling episode (the one with TINY RICK!!!!!) shows what would happen if Jerry and Beth got the detox treatment. I know, different things, but we probably would've ended up with Slimy Psychotic Beth and Slimy Pathetic Jerry That Waits For The Inevitable Inserting. Any guesses about Summer?

Anybody else a little annoyed that "shit" gets bleeped and not bleeped seemingly at random? Same thing happened last week. It's like Mike Tyson's Mysteries all over again.

Man, the opening was funny, especially with the added bits. Are most girls freaks like Summer and her friends? Awesome seeing Broken Rick and Really Broken Morty.

ETA: Almost forgot . . .  next week is Labor Day, so we'll be getting this season's episodes in a row.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Anybody else a little annoyed that "shit" gets bleeped and not bleeped seemingly at random? Same thing happened last week. It's like Mike Tyson's Mysteries all over again.

I personally think there's a shit limit. I think the adjective is okay, but not the literal noun? The Tim & Eric special that came on afterward got away with that, too.

• Love 1

Nice Rick & Morty version of the ends of a couple of Star Wars movies there at the beginning, complete with an award ceremony.

Of course Toxic Rick is the one who drools and belches constantly. And farts. Meanwhile, Healthy Rick apologizes when he belches once.

The restaurant scene went on way too long.

Best Line of the Episode nominees: "Is it wrong if I think this is kind of hot?" and "Daaaaads...?"

Trivia: Moontowers are/were an actual thing.

• Love 2

A step up from the last few episodes, because it relied more on the myriad of issues that both Rick and Morty have than it did on mindless violence. I guess analysis of your self-loathing is the next step in the Dan Harmon school of exploring your insecurities through your work.

Interesting to see which elements of themselves both Rick and Morty find toxic, and how removing those elements changed them. Morty becoming this hyper-confident, unabashedly honest, Patrick Bateman style sociopath, and Rick becoming polite, inoffensive, apparently nice man, but it turns out he has no sentimental attachments or apparent interest in helping anyone.

Nice to see Jessica again, and her actually helping Rick find Morty was pretty cool. All the scifi craziness just being completely accepted by everyone around them is one of the more fun conceits of this show. But it's a shame that they went with the rather misogynistic idea that she likes having Morty worship her from afar, while she dates the asshole jock. In light of recent examples of toxic masculinity that we've seen, that's not a good portrayal for anyone.

The little Voltron drones were great, and I love that Rick apparently built them like that because... I guess he loves Voltron.

• Love 1