Type keyword(s) to search

Rick And Morty - General Discussion

• Start Topic

22 hours ago, Gharlane said:

That did occur to me as well, but maybe the "Parmeezian Universe" president doesn't have term limits. 

Rick said this universe is basically the same as the one they left aside from pronouncing one word differently, so presumably they have the same rules on term limits. This president listed off all the preceding presidents who built the sci-fi basement lair in the White House and some of those guys coulda maybe won third terms if there wasn’t a term limit, so…

I hope Rickbot returns. There’s always something interesting about characters interacting with weird versions of themselves. (This show loves this trope a lot and one day I will have to get around to exhaustively cataloguing every single doppelgänger moment in Community.)

How did I find that out? I belong to Evan Dorkin’s Patreon. Turns out he was going to do a variant cover to a R/M comic, but he pulled out after learning about the allegations.

What the actual fuck?!?

• Like 1

Adult Swim Cuts Ties With Justin Roiland Following Domestic Abuse Charges

Re-casting will happen. His name will still be on the credits as co-creator. Adult Swim notes that the large cast and crew continue work on Season 7.

I think this was the most likely and best scenario when the domestic abuse allegations came out and it was inevitable after all the other allegations came out.

I surprisingly really like this show. It probably won't be the same given the VA re-casting they have to do. However, Roiland has not been a notable writer on the show for awhile. His improv did influence the show but most of the core arcs, humor, and character work is done by Harmon and the new writing team. I'm cautiously optimistic.

• Like 3

Rick and Morty: Season 6 is coming to Steelbook Blu-ray Disc, Blu-ray Disc and DVD on March 28, 2023 / April 4, 2023 in Canada.

1059166-rickandmorty-season6steelbookblu

Special Features Include:

Rick and Morty: Inside Season 6 (New Featurette Exclusive to Blu-ray and DVD) - Take a trip through the show’s portal-less sixth season with co-creator Dan Harmon, co-executive producer Steve Levy, showrunner Scott Marder, and writers Heather Anne Campbell, Albro Lundy, Rob Schrab and James Siciliano

Anatomy of a Scene: "Bethic Twinstinct" (Featurette) - Co-creator Harmon, showrunner Marder, director Douglas Einar Olsen and writer Anne Lane dig into the carcasses of two scenes while you stare at them in a numb trance.

Anatomy of a Scene: "Night Family" (Featurette) - Clock the most extensive car chase in the series’ history with co-executive producer Lundy, showrunner Marder, writer Schrab and director Jacob Hair.

Anatomy of a Scene: "Analyze Piss" (Featurette) - Co-creator Harmon, showrunner Marder, director Fill Marc Sagadraca and writer Siciliano go blow-for-blow on Jerry’s fight with Pissmaster.

10 Inside the Episodes (Featurettes) – Take a deeper look into each of the 10 episodes from the season.

To many of Roiland’s colleagues, the criminal charges came as a shock, but they also point to workplace behavior that has made them uncomfortable for years. […]

More recently, multiple sources say that Roiland, other than voice work, has not had any meaningful creative presence on any of the series that bear his name. In fact, many of his former colleagues say they haven’t heard from him in years, and when they have, it’s been unpleasant. They note, too, that he hasn’t been on speaking terms with his Rick and Morty co-creator, Dan Harmon, for multiple seasons, and a substantial number of staffers on that show as well as Solar Opposites and Koala Man have never actually met Roiland, even over Zoom.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/justin-roiland-animation-empire-implosion-rick-and-morty-1235319366/

Rick and Morty: The Manga Vol. 1 – Get in the Robot, Morty! is a "Manga-Style" trade paperback releasing on November 1, 2023 by Oni Press. It has Alissa M. Sallah (Weaboo) as writer, JeyOdin (Hammer, Miles Away) as the illustrator, and Christopher Crank (Crank!) as letterer. 

rick-and-morty-the-manga-volume-1-cover-

Was gonna start season 6, but then I discovered the existence of Summer's Sleepover along with other shorts I've missed, like Bushworld Adventures which I just watched. 4/5 for that one. I like how it exaggerated Rick's tendency to be aggressive and abusive to Morty. Of course, the entire episode looks like it was done with MS Paint, which reminded me of the intro from Gintama done entirely with Paint as a gag. lmao

But that ultimately led me to the "pilots" of the show, The Real Animated Adventures of Doc and Mharti... The first episode's certainly interesting... in a cursed way. Looking back, after the whole Justin Roiland controversy, with the comedy here seemingly about Doc being a creepy grandpa who hangs out with a kid so much he must have molested him, it kinda makes sense why his sense of humor went that way. Ah well. 3.5/5 for the five pilot episodes.

The anime style shorts were great though. I wouldn't mind watching a Samurai Rick anime starring the badass Summer here. 4/5 for Samurai & Shogun 1 and 2. I can't believe Studio Deen was involved in this, considering their reputation for shoddy animation in their adaptations.

Rick & Morty vs Genocider and Summer Meets God fall under the Evangelion side of mindfuck, so I barely understood much, but there's some very solid animation here. 3.5/5 for Genocider and 4/5 for Summer Meets God. That ending of SMG makes it worthwhile.

Rick and Morty: The Great Yokai Battle of Akihabara: Easily my favorite of these anime shorts for obvious reasons. I like the reference to Akihabara's decline from a tech center to an otaku center. It could've been another whacky mind-trip into weirdness, but instead, it feels like a nice tribute for Japanophiles. 5/5

Rick and Morty in the Eternal Nightmare Machine: Holy fuck. I never knew I needed a game like this, even though I suck at beat 'em ups. lmao Such an awesome trip for gamers. 4/5

Vindicators 2: Last Stand Between Earth and Doom: Christ. Nice little mini series that sort of justifies Rick killing off the Vindicators... and make it more horrifying that Supernova survived. I like that Supernova in the opening title card has a smirk that gradually increased in size and width with each episode, before becoming a full-blown evil grin. Christ, that sociopath. 4/5

Edited by MagnusHex

6x01: Solaricks

Holy shit, what a premiere. After the lackluster season 5, I wasn't expecting much from season 6 and was prepared to go through the motions, but this episode more than surpassed my expectations. In the earlier seasons at least, Rick and Morty has rarely placed much value on continuity.

But season 5 changed that, and this episode really built on that foundation by revisiting the past and rewarding those who have been watching since season 1, reminding us that there were real consequences and you can't always just hit the reset button by portaling away to another dimension. We get season 1 Cronenberg world all tied up nicely by the end of the episode's post-credit scene, and we even see season 2 Jerry and his family again (kinda glad to see Jerry gets one over his unpleasant family from season 2 while still retaining his rather pitiful clumsiness by bumping against the door on his way out). And of course, we finally get full details on Rick's original dimension, and we even have some spare time to flesh out Beth and Space Beth's relationship with Summer.

While I admit that I've enjoyed the nihilism of the show in the past, I'm even more glad to see these solid moments of character building and emotional catharsis in the show, and it's probably what will keep me watching for the long term. And what better way to keep the audience emotionally rooted than having the one that made the show possible in the first place finally appear: Prime Rick, whose existence and actions led Rick to escape his universe and ultimately become the drunken and self-loathing gramps at the start of the show.

Prime Rick's return feels like a long awaited story arc finally coming to a close after so long. Can't wait to see how it all unfolds.

4.5/5

22 hours ago, MagnusHex said:

Was gonna start season 6, but then I discovered the existence of Summer's Sleepover along with other shorts I've missed, like Bushworld Adventures which I just watched. 4/5 for that one. I like how it exaggerated Rick's tendency to be aggressive and abusive to Morty. Of course, the entire episode looks like it was done with MS Paint, which reminded me of the intro from Gintama done entirely with Paint as a gag. lmao

It's from Michael Cusack (Smiling Friends, Koala Man, YOLO), and honestly it's one of my absolute favorite Rick & Morty episodes, even though it's technically not an actual episode. It definitely reads like a parody, with the art style evoking the Doc & Mharti pilot.

"Eight days to Bendigo" has been stuck in my brain for years.

Emmy nominations have been announced. Rick and Morty got one for Best Animated Series. The submitted episode: “Night Family.” Would not have been my first choice, but what do I know?

• Like 2

Rick and Morty: The Anime      Adult Swim    10 episodes 

Director: Takashi Sano     
Animation: Telecom Animation Film and Sola Entertainment
Rick and Morty with less comedy and more SciFi action.

Rick and Morty Season 7 Premieres Sunday, October 15, 2023 at 11 pm ET on Adult Swim.

Rick and Morty are back and sounding more like themselves than ever! It’s season seven, and the possibilities are endless: What’s up with Jerry? EVIL Summer?! And will they ever go back to the high school?! Maybe not! But let’s find out! There’s probably less piss than last season. Rick and Morty, 100 years! Or at least until season 10!

Just watched Full Meta Jackrick for the first time, and as someone who used to be passionate about writing and remains very passionate about storytelling, this was a lot of fun. I really like all the meta jokes, and particularly the appearance of Joseph Campbell himself, leading R&M on a literal hero's journey. So great. Such a fantastic episode for writer nerds out there.

5/5

Here's a quick primer on Rick-Prime, a guy who's only been in two episodes in six seasons.

On 9/26/2023 at 8:12 AM, MagnusHex said:

Just watched Full Meta Jackrick for the first time, and as someone who used to be passionate about writing and remains very passionate about storytelling, this was a lot of fun. I really like all the meta jokes, and particularly the appearance of Joseph Campbell himself, leading R&M on a literal hero's journey. So great. Such a fantastic episode for writer nerds out there.

5/5

Did you see the Story Train episode from the previous season?

OK but like am I the only one who couldn't care less about "catching Rick prime"? Like, this big overarching theme about Rick's (uninteresting) backstory and the exploration of why the way he is the way he is and getting revenge is, first of all a very cliche story, secondly it's just boring and not interesting. Just give us fun episodes exploring different absurd concepts there is no need for all this "hurr durr I will avenge my dead wife" BS.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Did you see the Story Train episode from the previous season?

I did, but my short memory means I didn't really remember much from it. 😅 A recap would've been helpful when I watched Full Meta Jackrick, but oh well.

I just loved the absurdity of Robo Ghost.

We got the gang back together! Mr. Poopybutthole (whose name is Wayne?!) is messed up! Squanchy's alive! And Birdperson found his daughter! And then everyone got high with Hugh Jackman and fought a Predator. I wasn't expecting any of that and loved it.

So how to improve the show: Don't let Justin Roiland anywhere near it.

• Like 2

Looking at the credits . . . . was Hugh Jackman really in there? Or did I imagine it? Apparently, he's Gene's cousin, and he really likes to party. Suddenly, I'm very concerned about the well-being of Ryan Reynolds.

Great episode . . . though I'll have to watch on DVR because Last Week Tonight takes precedent. Rick gathers up a gang for an intervention to help Mr. Poopy Butthole (not sure if that's all one word or two), and Hugh Jackman takes things was too far. Also, Gene's lawnmower kills at least two guys because Rick pulled him off it.  Hey, Squanchy wasn't killed in "The Wedding Squanchers." And Gearhead had his nuts shoved into his face (mouth slot?) again. Good stuff.

Of course Rick would build a robot in order to manifest a ghost. The "Unfinished Business" bit was gold. Nice that Beth still feels guilt over shooting MPB. Oh, and his first name is Wayne. Much like Hugh writing "Caribbean Queen," it's confusing.

1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

So how to improve the show: Don't let Justin Roiland anywhere near it.

Yep . . . though we have to remember that he voiced a lot of characters, and they're all going to sound different. I found MPB extra screechy . . . though, to be fair, he's been through a lot of shit.

ETA: The next episode is "The Jerrick Trap." Not sure how Morty dealing with alien Mafioso would relate to the reference, but I have faith.

Edited by Lantern7

"How Poopy Got His Poop Back". Broh, Come Out With Us, You're Being So Boring, Dude.

I loved Robo-Ghost and Rick giving it "unfinished business" was a bonus, though What We Do In The Shadows ruined ghosts for me forever. Hey, it's Hugh Jackman! I don't know, something seemed off about the show without Justin.

The episode was fine, not the best opener but had some amusing moments. I actually really like the new Rick voice actor. The teasers did not give enough but the voice is better at the emotional bits. He has the Rick sigh too. There's a good article about the selection process from The Hollywood Reporter.

They wrote this awhile back but Hugh Jackman and his wife are divorcing so the joke about the Tony worked here.

19 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Looking at the credits . . . . was Hugh Jackman really in there? Or did I imagine it? Apparently, he's Gene's cousin, and he really likes to party. Suddenly, I'm very concerned about the well-being of Ryan Reynolds.

1) Hugh married Gene's cousin, so he's an in-law.

2) Most likely got him because he also played a character on Koala Man.

The new voices were fine, but it really sounded like everyone was off, not just Rick, Morty, and Mr. Poopy Butthole.

I also liked how there was no B-story in this episode. Rick portaled to assemble the crew and we didn't see the rest of the Smiths for the rest of the episode.

So Rick and Jerry were simultaneously each other in each other's bodies. Totally not confusing at all. I really liked the dynamic of their fused selves. Jerricky was horrifying, but hilarious especially since a Sideshow Bob-esque rake to the face is what snapped them out of it.

Man, this was a good one.

Yes, Rick and Jerry mixing brains and joining forces was fun . . . . but Morty was more or less slinging drugs. That ain't right.

I know the comics covered body swapping a few times, but this was a refreshing diversion, even if it led to the birth of a two-headed centaur-like being that only a rake could stop.

Hey, we got Keith David next week! Always good to see and hear President Curtis. Potential spoiler in the title for anyone who cares:

Spoiler

"Air Force Wong." Synopsis: "Virginia is for lovers, broh." Looks like we get Susan Sarandon back as well . . . and it's gotta be a step up from her work in Blue Beetle.

I only barely followed the idea of Rick's mind in Jerry's brain and vice-versa, but they very quickly moved on from it to a weird friendship of two Jerry-Rick merged entities, followed by Jerricky, which was horrifying. And I'm not sure why the crime boss could tell Jerricky had all the positive qualities of Jerry and Rick -- surely the two merged versions would have some of Jerry's self-sabotage and/or general incompetence.

All that said, I was highly entertained throughout.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Harvey said:

Is anyone else enjoying Gene's more frequent presence these past two episodes? I like the idea of a normal human having to interact with the weird world of Rick's family.

Yes. It use to be that Jerry was the audience stand in but it's a credit to his development the last couple of seasons (this ep too) that the family is so uniquely bonded in its sci-fi adventures that Gene is now the everyman. 

A really fun episode! As the episode went on, I thought "They pulled a Tuvix." I felt really bad for Beth and the family by the end especially when Summer pointed how Jerricky was both walking out on Beth. Yeesh.

I loved the tag about memory Rick!

• Like 1

Inside the Episode:

I thought it was "Jerrickry."

We forgot about the tag . . . the memory of Rick that was in Birdperson's mind is now trapped in Jerry's brain . . . and he/it can't get out because Jerry assumes everything runs on springs.

• LOL 1
40 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

We forgot about the tag . . . the memory of Rick that was in Birdperson's mind is now trapped in Jerry's brain . . . and he/it can't get out because Jerry assumes everything runs on springs.

Memory Rick said he was in Jerry's brain, but I think he made a mistake based on incomplete information. I think the tag was a flashback to Memory Rick trapped in the Jerricky gestalt.

15 hours ago, arc said:

Memory Rick said he was in Jerry's brain, but I think he made a mistake based on incomplete information. I think the tag was a flashback to Memory Rick trapped in the Jerricky gestalt.

Memory Rick says that after they got back, Memory Rick was left in Jerry's mind whether by accident or purpose by Rick. If Memory Rick was in the gestalt, he would have a lot more access than springs and gears.