Type keyword(s) to search

Rick And Morty - General Discussion

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

So is this the show's "Spock's Brain"?

C'mon, it wasn't that bad.  

Just Morty looking at the horse sperm collecting device was good for laughs.

Hellraiser spoof! I love that Cenobites find ultimate pleasure in Jerry's cringe. I liked the solution to turn their pain back into pain.

And then it turned into an adventure starring Rick's car. Loved seeing the podracer with testicles for pods. And the car killing a Galactus. And crushing on a Transformer Changeformer.

"You never follow hell demons to a second location. It's always hell!"

• Love 1

Apparently, Rick’s “car” is as big of a dick as him. That tracks. Same for hellspawn getting off on Jerry’s epic cringe.

Oh, and it turned out Summer assaulting mailbox people in the opening credits wasn’t exclusively for the opening credits. Follow-up thought: I’m amused by that last shot of Morty sinking a putt. Everything else is insane, but he’s just there putting. With a crowd. I like that.

6 hours ago, cynicat said:

"It hurts, but in a bad way!"

Thats the series in a nutshell. Or is that for life in general?

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Oh, and it turned out Summer assaulting mailbox people in the opening credits wasn’t exclusively for the opening credits.

I LOL'd at what happened to Bruce Chutback!

• Love 1
(edited)

Cold Open. I think we’ll be getting Keith David back for this episode.

On 7/23/2021 at 8:38 AM, Gharlane said:

How did Beth know about them teleporting the house while she and Jerry were at the Titanic re-enactment? 

Well, either someone told her (probably Rick), it’s the kind of thing that happens a lot, or she just threw it out because anything is possible with her dad. “All the female cats in the neighborhood are pregnant? Probably a wild male . . . but I can’t rule out Dad.”

Edited by Lantern7

Okay, I love how Rick's disguised himself as the Thanksgiving Turkey to get pardoned so many times the President caught on and its nothing more than an technological arm's race where everyone turns themselves into turkeys and fight each other. And then we get giant spider FDR and then the Turkey President turned congress on the real president. and that was just the first half. This was utterly insane.

All in all, this was all just a great excuse to let Keith David read the stupidest crap ever and I am here for it.

Wasn't expecting alien pilgrims and alien natives fighting giant humanoid turkeymen in cornfields they summon, but here we are.

Next week: Voltron episode!

• Love 1

Looking at it's reception, the fans aren't enjoying this season as much and there were already qualms about decreased quality last season.

Last week's episode was great but many of the others (although I wouldn't say they are trash like some people claim) just aren't on the same level.

• Love 1
(edited)
34 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Looking at it's reception, the fans aren't enjoying this season as much and there were already qualms about decreased quality last season.

Last week's episode was great but many of the others (although I wouldn't say they are trash like some people claim) just aren't on the same level.

I think it's inevitable that when you are a fan/superfan of any show from the beginning it seems to go downhill eventually.  Admittedly, I've also done that with other shows and I hate that feeling.  However, if you're not a superfan and just watch to laugh, then it's not as obvious or at least it doesn't matter.   So, I don't care if each episode isn't stellar. 

IMHO, this week's episode was a wild, hysterical ride, and I totally loved it.

Edited by cynicat
  • Love 5
(edited)

I only watched the episode once. Minimum, I liked how the whole plot centered on Rick and President Curtis (has that always been his name?} comparing dick sizes, and then they were forced to join forces to defeat a turkey that took the form of POTUS All this because Morty fucked up playing National Treasure.

On 7/26/2021 at 6:48 AM, Harvey said:

Where are you seeing that? I've been good with S5. I get the level of hate towards "Rickependence Spray," but I feel the series is still firing on all cylinders.

On 7/25/2021 at 11:28 PM, Galileo908 said:

All in all, this was all just a great excuse to let Keith David read the stupidest crap ever and I am here for it.

He does comedic stuff well. I have to wonder if Curtis might be overused this season. Bright side: the character can hold his own against Rick.

Next week: Voltron! But with robot ferrets instead of lions!

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I only watched the episode once. Minimum, I liked how the whole plot centered on Rick and President Curtis (has that always been his name?} comparing dick sizes, and then they were forced to join forces to defeat a turkey that took the form of POTUS All this because Morty fucked up playing National Treasure.

This was the first time the president was given a name.

And speaking of comparing dick sizes, it took me this long to recognize the symbolism of launching the Washington Monument into space, and then Morty blasting it in half.

(edited)

Cold open. Who would’ve thought Rick would be a nerd for mecha?

Poor Morty. He can’t win, not even with voiceovers.

ETA: Adult Swim is running sweepstakes with ten t-shirts with unique designs based on each episode. Here's what came up for the latest episode:

image.png.de70c677d0bdaf39a6ceb61f7f3a9e6a.png

Not as inspiring as Pickle Rick, but it's still funny.

Edited by Lantern7
  • LOL 1
On 7/29/2021 at 5:17 AM, Lantern7 said:

Where are you seeing that? I've been good with S5. I get the level of hate towards "Rickependence Spray," but I feel the series is still firing on all cylinders.

I saw it on Reddit & Twitter. But as I said I was also surprised by it, I thought the season is bringing it's usual quality.

Finally, time for Boob World the Voltron episode! Gotta love the Voltron made of several Voltrons.

Man, it's only been two weeks and the show already knew they weren't gonna live down Giant Incest Space Baby. Of course it saved the day from the anime stereotypes. And it was named Naruto.

Man, Morty kept getting the shaft this episode. First, missing out on Boob World, then Summer hijacking his voiceovers, then the Goodfellas parody the episode devolved into kept pushing him out.

Loved that ending tag where the bug monsters were spreading the cure for AIDS the whole time and no one could understand them.

Anime takes on Rick and Morty again.

Shit, I was writing a critique on my iPad, and I lost the damn thing. Basically: I’m getting how some fans might be souring on the series, but I’ve been good with it. Great mix of giant mecha and mob movies. Kinda wish there would be an ultimate GoTron that was galaxies wide, homaging Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Or maybe just Jerry butchering “Fly Me To The Moon” over the end credits.

Here’s eye AVClub review. It’s one of those things where I see where the writer is coming from, but I don’t feel as critical. And then I wonder if I’m that easy to please.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2

Here’s something I was trying to post last night:

In “Amortycan Grickfitti,” Beth had to go to the racetrack because someone played Barry White on the PA, and multiple horses got pregnant. Before she left Jerry with Rick and Morty with Summer, she mentioned the horses were crowning. Is the gestation period that short? Was that CHUD-related? Or am I thinking too hard about this?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

In “Amortycan Grickfitti,” Beth had to go to the racetrack because someone played Barry White on the PA, and multiple horses got pregnant. Before she left Jerry with Rick and Morty with Summer, she mentioned the horses were crowning. Is the gestation period that short? Was that CHUD-related? Or am I thinking too hard about this?

A) Horse gestation is about a year or so

B) Foals come out feet first so it's not called crowning

C) Those were my PSAs and yes it's possible you're overthinking it 😉

I loved the way the mech ferrets moved. Why was that so adorable?

It was a pretty good episode.

My constructive criticism is that it was too much. The mechs, Goodfella parody, and making fun of anime could have each been one episode each.

It feels like they are making a lot about there being many versions of the Smith family. I wonder if this is going to be the arc for the season?

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Harvey said:

I really liked the sudden tone shift of Beth and Jerry being super done with Summer and then immediately switching to consoling her when she was sad 😃.

It makes you realize the family does care about each other even though they are all pretty fucked up.

• Love 3
On 8/3/2021 at 7:39 AM, Lantern7 said:

I assumed Beth was talking about how the horses got pregnant, however long ago that was.

19 hours ago, cynicat said:

In your defense, I think she DID say crowning!

I heard "crowning" too.

Allright, we're finally doing something with Bird Person! We got his entire origin, finally. And that includes the origin of Squanchy and GearHead. Man, that was intense. And sad. Rick brought back Bird Person only to lose him again thanks to his selfishness. Yeah, now that the Phoenix Person plot is wrapped up, time to find what's up with his and Tammy's kid. Who is apparently a psycho.

Was shocked to hear that Main!Rick's Beth is dead and the family he lives with was an alternate one this whole time. Well, the original family he left in Cronenberg Earth, anyway. We're on at least three other alternate families by now. EDIT: So Rick's "fabricated origin story" in the season 3 premiere was true? And he first meets Morty in the first episode?

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 2

I’ll post on the episode soon. In the meantime, here’s the Honest Trailer for Loki. I didn’t know one of the R+M writers worked on that. I’ve cued the clip to the direct comparisons.

Nice touch on Rick’s wheel from the finale: it’s Rick flipping double birds. Yeah, he’s dealing with Morty, but that’s harsh. Also hilarious: one of the strips is labeled “JERRY (SPIN AGAIN)”

Reminder: no new episode tonight. The last two will get aired on Labor Day Sunday.

You know, I get the criticisms about the series. If you hit five seasons, hitting the ceiling gets harder. But I don't know which is the better option: going all out with bizarre concepts ("Morty's sperm run amok," "Rick goes on a Voltron spree," "Crisis of Infinite Decoys," etc), or focus on canon-building lore. I think the latter works better in lower doses, but -- once again -- we're at five seasons. Also, maybe we should care about Birdperson, especially since he has a pretty hideous kid out in the universe.

Thinking . . . why would Morty collect his . . . stuff? Isn't disposal the whole point of doing that? And now I remember that he filled up a barrel inside of a week. *shudder*

• Love 1

Forgetting Sarick Marshall

Man, "Morty gets replaced with two crows" went off some rails I wasn't expecting. Of course the sentient crow people resembled "Dark Crystal meets Hot Topic." And HOLY CRAP, Morty actually cut off his hand to get away from the psycho! Thank God Rick was able to fix it. And thanks to the crows, Rick abandons the family. Again.

Loved Garbage Goober, especially the tag at the end.

Rickmurai Jack

"HE'S ANTI-HEROIC, RUN!"

Man, was not expecting Rick to turn into a Cyber Crow-man anti-hero on the bird planet. Complete with anime opening! And then it turns out the crows were cheating on Crowscare with him and that all ended.

"Summer's a nurse. Pretty much a nurse. She married a junkie." I mean, god DAMN.

And then we went back to the Citadel to turn Morty back from 40 years old. We finally got to face off with President Morty!

"The Citadel runs on canon. The moment he turns evil we get out of here." OH MY GOD we actually saw Rick's backstory! All of it! The Finite Curve does raise a good point about the multiverse we've seen: All the infinite universes are ones with Rick, and ones with Rick as the smartest person in it. But what about all the universes without Rick? or ones where he's not the dominant person?

In the new multiverse, Eyepatch!Morty has a yellow portal. Can't wait for season 6.

Loved Stan Lee Rick.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 2

Wow. That was a Question Hydra finale. For every question answered, two more grew in its place.

Crow Rick lasted about seven minutes before we got to the heavy canon and Evil Morty. And damn, they did not disappoint. Well, the parts that I could understand, anyway. We get a good chunk of Rick's backstory. I think they were homaging Blade Runner . . . I haven't got around to seeing that yet, but I think that was the vibe. And for a brief time, we got a functional Rick and Morty dynamic. I'm not expecting that to last, though.

Random-Ass Thought: Why is there a guy dressed as an Ampersand? It's Rick and Morty, not Rick & Morty. I swear I'm not trying to outgeek anyone . . .  I used to think the latter was the title.

Jerry somehow recovered from being a whining puddle. Good for him.

Fights were pretty tight. I especially dug the Portal-Fu with Morty and Whashisname. Great idea by Morty to cut off his own hand and use it to turn his "partner" inside out.

• Love 2

I thought both of those episodes were kind of brilliant.

It shocks me that this show has such a ridiculous nihilistic attitude but can still somehow make me care about the characters.

Evil Rick actually killed the original Beth and Mrs. Sanchez. This gives so much more depth to Rick and why he is the way he is.

Middle age Morty was so depressing. Makes me realize that middle age Jerry is actually pretty good looking.

I know there will not be great changes and we will go back to some form of Rick and Morty next season but dang this show can be so good.

• Love 1

Every time the show goes deep into the fundamental flaws in the relationship between Rick and Morty, I feel like it might be touching on some actual friction between Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland. On the other hand, Roiland is nearly completely indispensable as the voice of both main characters so maybe I’m just seeing drama where there isn’t any.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I watched this at DragonCon. Will need to watch again to unpack this... 

My dumb ass is just now realizing that it means that Rick engineered for Beth to fall in love with Jerry in every dimension so that they would make a "Morty".

So, Jerry was specifically chosen so Rick can be the alpha male of the Smith family.

On 9/5/2021 at 8:57 PM, Galileo908 said:

The Finite Curve does raise a good point about the multiverse we've seen: All the infinite universes are ones with Rick, and ones with Rick as the smartest person in it.

On top of that, I can’t help but wonder where all the multiverse Dianes are, in the universes where Beth survived childhood. Seems like a few Dianes should’ve survived. 

• Love 2

Polygon’s review of the final two episodes of the season gets into the stasis of the show, which has been powered by Rick’s resistance to change, and it reminded me of some analysis of Dan Harmon from Harmontown coverage from years ago: he loves epiphanies about himself but didn’t (then?) act on them to make real change and growth.

Again, I may be seeing parallels where there are none; the stasis of the show may also be just because that’s a key component of any open-ended TV show: a show has a premise and keeps iterating variations on it until it’s no longer profitable, and this show has always been too self-aware not to try to come up with an in-universe reason for it. (And I’m a minor Harmon fanboy at best as I went to a couple of Harmontown tapings but I didn’t keep up with the podcast.) On the other hand, Harmon’s previous show Community had a ton of meta episodes that had entire A plots about the people behind the show so there is precedent.

• Love 1

In case you missed it, another anime short aired on Sunday.

These shorts have been growing on me. Or maybe I like the different voices for familiar characters.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

Finally on HBOMax, so we get the F bombs. Truthfully it isn't worth watching when censored on CN. I am up to the Gotron/Wise Guys episode. I am absolutely loving this season. Incest space baby is just too much.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1