Type keyword(s) to search

Rick And Morty - General Discussion

• Start Topic

So, this is definitely showing my age, but...

When two of the Gromflomites on the (not)Death Star are talking, and one asks the other why he's not being taken to meet the parents, I swear, the dialog is the same as between Mitch and Jordan in the 80s movie, "Real Genius."

Jordan: Are you going to take me home to meet your parents?
Mitch: No.
Jordan: Why? Are you ashamed of me?
Mitch: No, them.

• Love 1
(edited)

Rick and Morty has been nominated for Outstanding Animated Program at the Emmys. The episode submitted: “The Vat of Acid Episode.” Good choice.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

Emmys are on right now. They did a “what the stars are doing during the pandemic” bit, and Rick and Morty appeared with masks.

Rick: Just been . . . wipin’ down groceries.

Morty: Rick, can’t you do something about this?!?

Rick: Why would I, Morty? You know how much money we’re saving on mouth animation?

Seems about right to me. 🤓👍

Edited by Lantern7
  • LOL 1

Nice bit of surprise. I thought we’d have to wait a lot longer. And now, the S5 season opener airing on Wednesday night is in play . . . though I’m still thinking we’ll be getting a Tuca & Bertie marathon.

• Love 1
(edited)

Okay, this year we got Total Rickall dubbed over with kid voices, and it was amazing. I busted out laughing at Summer's voice, they gave her the youngest child like Sally in the Peanuts specials.

Plus a new intro for Rick & Morty babies 

Edited by Galileo908

Oh, I see we're starting with the Namor ripoff. Mr. Nimbus was so good an annoying. 

"I'm not a beaver who believes in Jesus, Morty. But yeah, it's a Narnia thing."

I LOVED the Narnia portal. It went way farther than I thought it'd be. It gave some actual character development for Jessica, who could do nothing but think for being in suspended animation for seemingly hundreds of years. I want more of Time God Jessica. I also couldn't believe they pulled off the simulation trick on Morty. To be fair, he wasn't present for that adventure, and he would definitely fall for it.

"Why did I clone myself genitals?!"

I died at the Nintendo 69 joke. So dumb, but I laughed so hard.

• Love 3

"Dad was horny and I dropped it" sure feels like an homage to the Community line "He was horny so he dropped him. Man is evil!"

Everything else about the episode was fine. Well, maybe not that Jessica basically asked Morty out, but Jessica has been a cipher this whole show.

• Love 2

In the episode where Morty gets healthy, we already established that he and Jessica are just not right for each other. So can we just drop his obsession with her? Why can't the show move on to some other girl for Morty to fawn over? It's pointless to watch the series tease this coupling up of Morty and Jessica when we know very well it will never work.

The episode itself was cute for 2 seconds with the very first portal time jump but then it became lame real quick. I did like the joke about Summer not knowing what to do with the horn though.

• Love 3

Another thing I liked was the reference to "whispering in the kitchen" like on Frasier!

When Morty first went into the pocket dimension I wasnt sure how the time thing worked, like which place had time moving faster? Then when "Hoovy"(Jim Gaffigan) followed Morty to his world U went "Oh no!".

• Love 2

I legit feel bad for Morty. He winds up saving himself and Rick from an almost-certain death, only to be constantly berated for landing in the ocean, the domain of MR. NIMBUS. And the ship's initial impact was a really bouncy tree. Totally not Morty's fault.

Anyone else think that Jessica is mostly one-dimensional for a reason? I'm thinking that when we get to the final season, Rick will tell Morty that most of the people outside his family were created as one-dimensional ciphers, and that would include the seemingly unattainable girl. "F'r Chrissake, you never put it together? She had red hair, Morty! Like that redhead girl Charlie Brown kept *urp!!!* geting a boner for! And you never put two and two together? God, I shoulda left you with Doofus Rick! You two deserve each other! I bet he'd-he'd-he'd teach you the best ways to eat *urrrrrp!!!!* shit!"

Or maybe Jessica is "real" and is a fan of doing adult stuff like drinking wine. Great, now I'm associating her with Beth and her alcoholism, and now I'm wonder if that's a coincidence. Back on topic . . . Morty could do better . . . or at least find someone more his speed.

MR. NIMBUS belongs on this show The whole "MR. NIMBUS controls police" thing is perfect. How does he do that? MR. NIMBUS just fucking does, okay?!? And of course he'd be a "sex-positive" freak. Sadly, he'll be the closest thing to Namor we'll be getting for a while.

Also loved how Morty ended up fucking up "Narnia" over and over. An entire civilization dedicated to his death? That tracks. And I didn't recognize Jim Gaffigan's voice. Was he the first resident that we saw?

3 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Back on topic . . . Morty could do better . . . or at least find someone more his speed.

He DID, but Jerry ruined it by pressing the remote.

4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

And I didn't recognize Jim Gaffigan's voice. Was he the first resident that we saw?

I recognized him immediately. And yep, Hoovy was the first one we saw.

• Love 1

I loved that all of the decoy families were unaware they were decoys, and they all made decoys. This one got complicated and confusing quick. Hell, the president wanted nothing to do with it! God, I loved that the REAL family was in space the whole time.

So there was a Citadel of Smith Decoys. I loved how Puppet Jerry screwed over his family. I love that the Muppet Smiths were the ones that learned the lesson...and were also costumes. Of course I loved the Andross Rick beacon for the other decoys.

"Wait, Christianity again? AFTER cowboys?!" I honestly wanted to see more of the sad saga of Puppet Jerry. But then again, that's karma biting him in the wooden ass.

• Love 2
(edited)

Great concept, great execution. Gotta rewatch to see how often "decoy" was said. Just wall-to-wall chaos, mind fuckery, and Smiths killing Smiths. Well, except for the Smiths that got killed by Mr. Always Wants to be Hunted. Great way to wrap things up.

23 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Hell, the president wanted nothing to do with it! God, I loved that the REAL family was in space the whole time.

I like that POTUS. Anytime you bring in Keith David, it's gonna be a good time. I will say that ordering someone to get him a soft drink sounds like another POTUS.

23 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

"Wait, Christianity again? AFTER cowboys?!" I honestly wanted to see more of the sad saga of Puppet Jerry. But then again, that's karma biting him in the wooden ass.

Bonus that I missed until I read the AVClub review: the song played during Glockenspiel Jerry's odyssey was "Who Wants To Live Forever" by Queen . . . which was used in Highlander. Poor dumb wooden decoy Jerry. I know he was petty, but there's probably nothing quite as bad as waking up and realizing you've become a cross for a crucifixion. And yeah, Christianity after cowboys?

Edited by Lantern7
On 6/20/2021 at 11:31 PM, Galileo908 said:

Oh, I see we're starting with the Namor ripoff. Mr. Nimbus was so good an annoying. 

"I'm not a beaver who believes in Jesus, Morty. But yeah, it's a Narnia thing."

I LOVED the Narnia portal. It went way farther than I thought it'd be. It gave some actual character development for Jessica, who could do nothing but think for being in suspended animation for seemingly hundreds of years. I want more of Time God Jessica. I also couldn't believe they pulled off the simulation trick on Morty. To be fair, he wasn't present for that adventure, and he would definitely fall for it.

"Why did I clone myself genitals?!"

I died at the Nintendo 69 joke. So dumb, but I laughed so hard.

On 6/27/2021 at 5:46 PM, Lantern7 said:

I legit feel bad for Morty. He winds up saving himself and Rick from an almost-certain death, only to be constantly berated for landing in the ocean, the domain of MR. NIMBUS. And the ship's initial impact was a really bouncy tree. Totally not Morty's fault.

Anyone else think that Jessica is mostly one-dimensional for a reason? I'm thinking that when we get to the final season, Rick will tell Morty that most of the people outside his family were created as one-dimensional ciphers, and that would include the seemingly unattainable girl. "F'r Chrissake, you never put it together? She had red hair, Morty! Like that redhead girl Charlie Brown kept *urp!!!* geting a boner for! And you never put two and two together? God, I shoulda left you with Doofus Rick! You two deserve each other! I bet he'd-he'd-he'd teach you the best ways to eat *urrrrrp!!!!* shit!"

Or maybe Jessica is "real" and is a fan of doing adult stuff like drinking wine. Great, now I'm associating her with Beth and her alcoholism, and now I'm wonder if that's a coincidence. Back on topic . . . Morty could do better . . . or at least find someone more his speed.

MR. NIMBUS belongs on this show The whole "MR. NIMBUS controls police" thing is perfect. How does he do that? MR. NIMBUS just fucking does, okay?!? And of course he'd be a "sex-positive" freak. Sadly, he'll be the closest thing to Namor we'll be getting for a while.

Also loved how Morty ended up fucking up "Narnia" over and over. An entire civilization dedicated to his death? That tracks. And I didn't recognize Jim Gaffigan's voice. Was he the first resident that we saw?

I'm a little late to watch the premier...but I loved every minute of it. I was disappointed in S4, though I respected what they were doing.

I have to say that I would have liked the ending of Game of Thrones way more if the Night King had just turned out to be Morty.

Morty falls in love with Captain Planet Planetina, hilarity ensues. I loved this parody so much. I loved that the Planeteers aged in real time since the 90s so they're all old and bitter. Of course Morty would go so far to kill them all to grab their rings to have her for himself. Interesting detail about the parody: there was no ring for heart, so that's why she went on a crazy rampage against anyone killing the Earth. I appreciated that his story ended with no jokes. 

I wonder how fast Planetina Funko pops are gonna drop? Maybe SDCC? She'll definitely be a con exclusive, they've made pops of almost everyone in this show. Of course they exist in universe.

I liked Summer and Rick's story. Rick would travel to doomed planets to get as wrecked as possible, and Rick would keep someone for elbow tits. Rick is really rubbing off on Summer, she stopped an apocalypse from happening (the only one of the three that could be reversed, too) to break up Rick's relationship.

• Love 4

This Week: Morty finds love with a distaff knockoff of Captain Planet, and that includes him killing the Planeeteers Tina-Teers that summon her. Also, Rick and Summer go on a bender involving multiple doomed worlds . . .and even with the elbow tits and blurred simulation of oral sex, that wasn't as disturbing as Planetina.

"What If the Planeteers Became Just As Deluded As Their Eco-Hating Nemeses?" . . . a concept that never entered my mind, and now I'm mad that I never though about it. Of course Morty winds up killing them, including three in one badass sequence. Naturally, Planetina winds up going off the rails. Given that the concept of Captain Planet had the optimism that humanity would actually become kinder to their planet, I can't say that I blame her.

23 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

I wonder how fast Planetina Funko pops are gonna drop? Maybe SDCC? She'll definitely be a con exclusive, they've made pops of almost everyone in this show. Of course they exist in universe.

Well, Comic-Con is off again thanks to the pandemic, but NYCC is back on. Ugh .  . . now I'm imagining a mass of humanity writhing outside Javits Center, waiting to buy that Funko. Call me when they do "Mystery Minis" for Season 5. I wound up getting two figures of Dr. Bloom from S1, and those were 1/72 chance.

B-plot was fun . . . Rick would totally plan a bender around three planets getting destroyed. That's why he and Morty got the custom t-shirts after all. Nice touch that Rick had to draw in a ponytail when Summer replaced Morty. And naturally, Rick breaks his own rules, pissing off Summer badly enough for her to destroy an oncoming meteor, spoiling the end of the world party AND creating at least one awkward father/son exchange the next day.

Funny thing . . . .last week, John Oliver did an episode of Last Week Tonight on Health Care Sharing Ministries, and there was a stellar joke and visual based on Captain Planet. I cued this link to 12:42 into the segment. I was legit impressed they put in the beard to go with the mullet.

• Love 3
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Well, Comic-Con is off again thanks to the pandemic, but NYCC is back on. Ugh .  . . now I'm imagining a mass of humanity writhing outside Javits Center, waiting to buy that Funko. Call me when they do "Mystery Minis" for Season 5. I wound up getting two figures of Dr. Bloom from S1, and those were 1/72 chance.

1) SDCC might be virtual again but that hasn't stopped Funko.

2) I'm skipping NYCC this year. Mostly due to that we're still in a pandemic and who knows how many vendors, artists, guests, etc will show up this time? And also spite because they set up that Superfan crap where you pay them $100 for guaranteed tickets. (I'm hoping that they keep this for next year, because reserving tickets and bypassing that virtual queue is a mighty tempting prospect). It's a petri dish of germs as it is, con crud became potentially worse, regardless of masks or limited attendance.

Edited by Galileo908

This was a really cool episode. The romance plot with Morty went into such an unexpected direction. And there was no real resolution in the end, yes they broke up but Morty was very sad. I wonder if this plot will be continued somewhat in future episodes.

• Love 1

"A Rickconvenient Mort". Reduce Reuse, broh. Might be too late.

A brilliant parody of Captain Planet with "her children" all grown up and not very different from the eco-villains they used to fight in the original cartoon. I wonder what plans that oil shiek had for her? Meanwhile, Rick and Summer go on a bender on three doomed planets. I laughed about Rick drawing ponytails on the "Pu**y Pounders" t shirts Rick had made for Morty and him. Does this mean they've done this before?

14 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Interesting detail about the parody: there was no ring for heart, so that's why she went on a crazy rampage against anyone killing the Earth.

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that! I figured it was because Planetina had become just as cynical as everyone else.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Gharlane said:

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that! I figured it was because Planetina had become just as cynical as everyone else.

And that's why Morty was so heartbroken over her. He was hoping she'd stay pure and free and not give in to nihilism. But she did, just like everyone else in his life.

• Love 1
On 7/4/2021 at 11:32 PM, Galileo908 said:

Morty falls in love with Captain Planet Planetina, hilarity ensues. I loved this parody so much. I loved that the Planeteers aged in real time since the 90s so they're all old and bitter. Of course Morty would go so far to kill them all to grab their rings to have her for himself. Interesting detail about the parody: there was no ring for heart, so that's why she went on a crazy rampage against anyone killing the Earth. I appreciated that his story ended with no jokes. 

I liked Summer and Rick's story. Rick would travel to doomed planets to get as wrecked as possible, and Rick would keep someone for elbow tits. Rick is really rubbing off on Summer, she stopped an apocalypse from happening (the only one of the three that could be reversed, too) to break up Rick's relationship.

Good observation about the "heart" ring. We would always make fun of the "heart" kid on Captain Planet because everyone else got awesome power while he could talk to his monkey but I guess it really was important.

On 7/5/2021 at 3:31 PM, Galileo908 said:

And that's why Morty was so heartbroken over her. He was hoping she'd stay pure and free and not give in to nihilism. But she did, just like everyone else in his life.

I really like that Tina and Morty's relationship ended naturally without Rick purposefully messing it up (at least from what we were shown). It was sad to see Morty's flower head rot and shed tears.

Morty feels like he has no place in the Universe and I am sure many people can relate to this type of sadness.

• Love 1
On 7/10/2021 at 8:09 PM, Lantern7 said:

Cold open for Sunday’s episode:

Capital W.

Capital T.

Capital F.

At least seven question marks. Maybe twelve.

Boy you weren't kidding. And it did. not. stop.

I love how Rick and Morty just had high expectations for Blazen and went out like a total punk. 

Love that this was all mix of Independence Day and CHUDs with horse people. And then a Lord of The Rings-style battle between them. And the Amazing Jonathan. Wasn't expecting THAT cameo.

• Love 2

Capital W.

Capital T.

Capital F.

My thoughts exactly.  I kept waiting for this to be some sort of elaborate lesson that Rick was teaching Morty about not lying to him.  Kept waiting for the reveal.  Nope. 

• Love 2

Wound up watching this episode after I showered. In retrospect, that was a mistake. In my defense, I thought HBO Max streamed new episodes. They didn’t, so I didn’t watch while I had breakfast. I had that, showered, then hit the DVR to see Morty’s sperm run nine kinds of amuck.

And how the fuck could Morty fill an entire barrel in a week? Wait, no, I shouldn’t question that. Just focus on Keith David going more over the top as usual.

Will there be a break between the first and second half of the season?

• Love 2
(edited)

Rickdependence Spray

Cold open for Sunday’s episode:

Capital W.

Capital T.

Capital F.

Only twelve?

I, too, expected something similar to Vat of Acid, but I guess not, unless Rick's long game was get Morty to make a more public confession.

Edited by Gharlane
6 hours ago, cynicat said:

My thoughts exactly.  I kept waiting for this to be some sort of elaborate lesson that Rick was teaching Morty about not lying to him.  Kept waiting for the reveal.  Nope. 

Rick knows everything. Unless he doesn’t. I think of “The Whrily-Dirly Conspiracy.” Was it merely convenient for the plot that Rick was warming up to Jerry? Or did he know Alien Clancy Brown has convinced Jerry to kill him? 

• Love 2