Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
sleepyjean

Suggestions for improving the show

Recommended Posts


I thought this last season was much better quality than previous seasons. As much as I love PR (and I hate reality television in general, this show being the only exception), they really have been phoning it in, so I was pleasantly surprised this year. They seemed to emphasise the creative side rather than putting too much focus on the drama, and I feel like the contestants were more talented than in previous seasons. I felt a certain renewed energy about the show that I hadn't felt in a long time, I felt the contestants were chosen for their talent and not because they'd make for 'good' TV or because they had a good personal story that was 'inspirational' and made them cry on screen a lot, and like the show found its balance between wanting to be progressive and fashionable.

I love that they took the time to find diverse contestants and to make sure they were all there because of talent, whereas before it seemed they were guilty of some 'tokenism', for lack of a better word. Ashley won because they decided they were going to give it to the plus size designer, and because they thought her sob story would inspire. I think it backfired because most of the people who watch the show watch for the fashion, not the 'inspiration' sob story. It also backfired because Ashley was a cry baby and a passive-aggressive nightmare. I felt similarly about Justin Leblanc (though he had a much better personality than Ashley) who didn't win but was allowed to remain for far longer than his talent warranted - I felt the producers wanted them there not because of their talent but because of what they represented. Which is commendable, but there are many plus size and disabled designers out there who are much more talented and that's who they should have chosen to feature. 

I think Project Runway is at its best when it's at its most stripped down and natural. When they forget to plug their many sponsors. They've also stopped doing a lot of bullshit that had gotten tired, like having the designers create stuff for Heidi Klum's godawful fashion lines. The unconventional challenges are the best, because they show you who is truly creative and can work outside of their comfort zone. 

I like the menswear challenges, if anything they're always fun. I also think there should be plus size challenges and that it should be seen as a routine part of fashion rather than something they address a few times when they have contestants like Ashley or when they have to dress their moms or other 'real' women and some of them are plus size. I think the show has been really successful in bringing attention to the negative aspects of fashion but they could do a little more, at the very least with one plus size challenge a season. And maybe instead of dressing their moms they would get professional plus size models. 

As for the judges, I still think Heidi Klum is the worst. I know they can't get rid of her since she's the face of the franchise but she really is clueless and I hate her obsession with tacky, short and 'sexy' shit. Nina Garcia is the one to impress and the one whose opinion I value the most. Zac Posen is pretty great, way better than Michael Kors who was a good TV personality but is tacky as fuck. They need to stop having so many inarticulate and idiotic actresses and pop singers on the show as guest judges, they're clueless and add nothing to the proceedings. 

Edited by sputnik
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, sleepyjean said:

I don't care about the models. And frankly, I like the typical tall, rail thin models, because they are easy to ignore. I can focus on the clothes, not on the women.

For those who feel like this,  maybe they should the clothes on hangers and rolling them down the runway.  Then there's no actual people to get in the way.

Edited by jhlipton · Reason: Removed possible bad comments
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Sai said:

Cripes, for years people have been complaining about PR only having zero sized model so they decide to shake things up and throw plus sized models in and now people are crying ageism.  Some people are just never happy.  The show is called Project RUNWAY because they are designing for the Runway.  You don't see any old bags walking the runway in real life so why should they on the show?  If they did, I wouldn't be interested in watching.

Charming. 

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

On 3/6/2017 at 7:09 PM, enoughcats said:

Bring in experienced regionally successful designers. 

Here are some from New Orleans who I'd love to see.

http://www.nola.com/homegarden/index.ssf/2017/03/6_up-and-coming_new_orleans_de.html#incart_m-rpt-2

They already do that. They've always cast regionally successful designers. That's what Chloe Dao was/is. Michelle Lesniak, Ulli, Mychael Knight, Jeffrey Sebelia, Stanley, Ven, Swapnil, and Kini are all the same. All regionally successful. I think one of the problems is that Christian Siriano is an outlier and a quasi-prodigy. If Christian had never won, people would look at this show like America's Next Top Model. A fun diversion that no one expects anything serious from. Christian was 23 when he won, but he'd already interned for Marc Jacobs, Vivienne Westwood, and Alexander McQueen. He intuitively understood the business better than anyone else. He immediately embarked upon a couple of mass market collections to get quick cash for his business so that he could pay a factory to make clothes if there was interest in his line. He's also been an earlier champion of the body positivity stuff. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/project-runway-hasnt-launched-a-real-star-but-it-is-a-lesson-in-fashion-today/2014/07/23/045d90d8-091e-11e4-bbf1-cc51275e7f8f_story.html?utm_term=.cf1499651564#comments

He has his own fragrance. His business does about $5 million a year. He needs to get someone in house who is solid in accessories. Maybe someone from Project Accessory. That's how everyone makes money in fashion--fragrance, accessories, and makeup.

I think that there aren't enough costume challenges. Jean Paul Gaultier worked for decades, but his most known works are his costumes with Madonna and The Fifth Element. Good costume design is iconic. Good costume design can influence how we dress--the Matrix, Bonnie and Clyde, and Anne Hall. Cleopatra's over the top costume design has influenced everything from typical period costume films to the Marvel movies. Cleopatra is a buffet to look at. My Fair Lady too. Science fiction in particular has needed more of a fashion eye to help costume their films and tv shows. I'm pretty sure we all won't wear jumpsuits in the future.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I think that there aren't enough costume challenges.

It seems like I am constantly finding myself at a play here in NY and discovering that Emilio Sosa has done the costumes.  That guy works A LOT in NYC theater.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 2017-09-18 at 4:49 PM, HunterHunted said:

They already do that. They've always cast regionally successful designers. That's what Chloe Dao was/is. Michelle Lesniak, Ulli, Mychael Knight, Jeffrey Sebelia, Stanley, Ven, Swapnil, and Kini are all the same. All regionally successful. I think one of the problems is that Christian Siriano is an outlier and a quasi-prodigy. If Christian had never won, people would look at this show like America's Next Top Model. A fun diversion that no one expects anything serious from. Christian was 23 when he won, but he'd already interned for Marc Jacobs, Vivienne Westwood, and Alexander McQueen. He intuitively understood the business better than anyone else. He immediately embarked upon a couple of mass market collections to get quick cash for his business so that he could pay a factory to make clothes if there was interest in his line. He's also been an earlier champion of the body positivity stuff. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/project-runway-hasnt-launched-a-real-star-but-it-is-a-lesson-in-fashion-today/2014/07/23/045d90d8-091e-11e4-bbf1-cc51275e7f8f_story.html?utm_term=.cf1499651564#comments

He has his own fragrance. His business does about $5 million a year. He needs to get someone in house who is solid in accessories. Maybe someone from Project Accessory. That's how everyone makes money in fashion--fragrance, accessories, and makeup.

I got to go to his store a few years, chaperoning my students on a fashion tour of New York. He had great accessories then (not sure what it's like now). I bought a blue clutch that gets compliments every time I carry it, and his shoes were fabulous.  

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/18/2017 at 7:49 PM, HunterHunted said:

I think one of the problems is that Christian Siriano is an outlier and a quasi-prodigy. If Christian had never won, people would look at this show like America's Next Top Model. A fun diversion that no one expects anything serious from. Christian was 23 when he won, but he'd already interned for Marc Jacobs, Vivienne Westwood, and Alexander McQueen. He intuitively understood the business better than anyone else. He immediately embarked upon a couple of mass market collections to get quick cash for his business so that he could pay a factory to make clothes if there was interest in his line. He's also been an earlier champion of the body positivity stuff.

I just looked at Christian Siriano's website and on the "About" page -- his bio doesn't even mention Project Runway.  That tells you something.

http://www.christiansiriano.com/about.php

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Putting this question here as I can't find another thread that seems appropriate, so apologies in advance for whatever major kerfuffle this is...but...several times now, when I have tried to 'like', as in click on the 'heart' of a poster, I have gotten a pop up that says I am not allowed to  do that,  What does that mean? Does it mean I am duplicating a 'like/heart" I have already given the post? Does it mean the poster had banned/ignored/whatever me? I have no idea what this means, and have not been able to find where this kind of stuff is listed. Any clarification is appreciated.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I like the addition of plus-size models. It's been refreshing to see how models such as Liris can walk the runway. 

I think the show can be improved if they had more well-known, A-list judges, like Solange Knowles.

Also, the contestants need more than one day for most challenges.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, nb360 said:

Also, the contestants need more than one day for most challenges.

I so agree.  If they're only going to give them one day, then they should just give them extra time for drawing their design, then take them to Mood and let them take their time buying their fabric and notions.  Then they could submit the drawings and fabric for judging.  Period.  No way should they have to design, shop, cut and sew an entire outfit in one day.  Ever since they started this (on Lifetime), the quality of the end product AND the quality of applicants has gone into the crapper.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, becauseIsaidso said:

Putting this question here as I can't find another thread that seems appropriate, so apologies in advance for whatever major kerfuffle this is...but...several times now, when I have tried to 'like', as in click on the 'heart' of a poster, I have gotten a pop up that says I am not allowed to  do that,  What does that mean? Does it mean I am duplicating a 'like/heart" I have already given the post? Does it mean the poster had banned/ignored/whatever me? I have no idea what this means, and have not been able to find where this kind of stuff is listed. Any clarification is appreciated.

Short Answer: Yes, it's usually a delayed reaction dupe.  Long answer, see thread in the Bugs forums (linked below).

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/1/2017 at 9:30 PM, Fostersmom said:

I keep wondering what number Swatch Swatch is. And have other Swatches been retired to a nice Swatch friendly home? 

That's like a troll joke that they just keep replacing as they are all the same.  From what I can tell on the internet it's the same dog and he's now 10.  Other sources, which are always just speculation on some random forum, are the kind of stuff you read on the internet from people trying to stir things up.

The reason you get some dogs looking very alike is because of how people breed them (for rather awful dog shows for instance, to distort and exaggerate characteristics).  But that's all to do with people, dogs will breed with other kinds of dog, they don't care.  Mongrels are my favourite kind of dog because they are less part of some human controlled breeding program.  And dogs can be individual and very different to each other.

 

But with improvements to the show, I miss the more varied challenges.  Sometimes they did actually do men's clothing, or for a child, even once they had to do something for a dog that was accompanied by a model.

Edited by amazingracefan

Share this post


Link to post

On 9/18/2017 at 4:49 PM, HunterHunted said:

 

He has his own fragrance. His business does about $5 million a year. He needs to get someone in house who is solid in accessories. Maybe someone from Project Accessory. That's how everyone makes money in fashion--fragrance, accessories, and makeup.

 

Ain't it the truth? I adore Temperley, but I can't afford the clothes (nor can I fit in them now -- lol), but I do own one of her scarves in a gorgeous, gorgeous fabric.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • They need to go back to 2 days minimum for the challenges, 3 days for avant garde or unconventional materials.
  • No more than two team challenges (one challenge, each team = half the designers, second challenge - two people teams)
  • Have challenges that are more specific (a challenge where everyone has to create a LBD; a challenge where black cannot be used in any way, shape, or form; gown challenge, etc.)
  • Keep the range of models' sizes but shut them up.  I didn't tune in to hear them talk about the outfits.
  • Get rid of the Tim Gunn save (I love Tim but I think that takes away his objectivity)
  • More Swatch (it is the original Swatch...he's just gotten older and fatter over the years)
  • Fewer guest judges that are "stars" and more from the fashion business.
  • No more twins!!!
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

One of my favorite challenges was having the designers just make a dress out of muslin. So it was all about the design.

Last week I was at a conference with a lot of college fund raisers and we were talking about PR and how they should do a challenge for college and university fundraisers...many dress in school colors...which works out great if your colors are easily available but some schools have hard colors to make work...like Virginia Tech (maroon and orange)....

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

The show has lost a lot of UMPH. They try so hard to be "artsy". If they would just have regular projects and allow the participants to create we wouldn't have to suffer through the cutesy stuff from the judges. That other show that was a takeoff of PR where the designers had do shoes, jewelry and bags was so much more interesting. Also, if they just have each week where deginers did dresses, ballgowns, coats, pants, blouses, suits, etc then we could see who the top designers are and the eliminations would be much better. With the things they are asked to do now I feel no one should be sent home. I just watch for the runway part now.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I loved Project  Accessory! I thought I was the only one who liked it. Project Runway has gone so downhill. Just giving the designers an extra day would make such a difference. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Recruit young aspiring designers who are serious and have done quality work. No stunt casting.  And drop the fake audition BS in first episode. Say you have recruited the cast and be proud of that. 

Only one unconventional materials challenge  

Go back to standard sized models. 

Get Michael Kors to guest judge a few times.  I would love to see him come back and join Zac and Nina but that is not going to happen.  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, wings707 said:

Recruit young aspiring designers who are serious and have done quality work. No stunt casting.  And drop the fake audition BS in first episode. Say you have recruited the cast and be proud of that. 

Agreed and agreed.

Quote

Only one unconventional materials challenge  

I enjoy them actually, but they do actually have little to do with being a real fashion designer. Either have zero, or use them as a kind of bonus round for an advantage, but not as a decider for anything. In that last scenario the number of them you have doesn't really matter.

Quote

Go back to standard sized models. 

My sure to be controversial position on this is that I don't mind the plus size models, but it has to be apples to apples. There would be no problem I think in having a plus size model round, where everyone uses them in that judging, and so all have apples. The huge problem here would be the gigantic outcry of outrage, motivated by political correctness, because some viewers will "read" that scenario as isolating/shaming plus size as "different".  Unless they're already doing this. I have to admit I'm posting in this topic without having seen the last season and a half or so.

Quote

Get Michael Kors to guest judge a few times.  I would love to see him come back and join Zac and Nina but that is not going to happen.  

Kors can be real annoying too at times.  Honestly, these judges violated my trust in their judgment a long time ago. Slotting Kors back in there isn't going to fix that just because he's SLIGHTLY less onerous/snotty than Zac, and SLIGHTLY less egotistical than Nina.

Again, I haven't seen the show in a while. but I hope they aren't still doing weekly celeb guest stars. Especially the ones who have fashion lines that play on their celebrity. I'm also sick of Heidi pimping her lines too. Just give us actually industry people to judge, okay?  If you want celeb guest stars use them as mock-clients for challenges. That's a proper use of them. But they don't get a judging vote. They can give feedback TO the judges about what they like and what filled their brief best and then get the hell out of there.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Kromm said:

 

Quote

Go back to standard sized models. 

My sure to be controversial position on this is that I don't mind the plus size models, but it has to be apples to apples. There would be no problem I think in having a plus size model round, where everyone uses them in that judging, and so all have apples. The huge problem here would be the gigantic outcry of outrage, motivated by political correctness, because some viewers will "read" that scenario as isolating/shaming plus size as "different".  Unless they're already doing this. I have to admit I'm posting in this topic without having seen the last season and a half or so.

 Oh no, it is my wish for standard size models that is controversial!  LOL  I am not fat shaming, I just prefer it.  I take ideas from runway fashion, even on the show, to perk up my jeans T-shirt wardrobe.  I got ZERO from Ashley's dumpster fire.  All her models looked terrible!  This season?  Nothing here either. 

I have gotten ideas from Brandon, big time.  Love his work.

1 hour ago, Kromm said:

Kors can be real annoying too at times.  Honestly, these judges violated my trust in their judgment a long time ago. Slotting Kors back in there isn't going to fix that just because he's SLIGHTLY less onerous/snotty than Zac, and SLIGHTLY less egotistical than Nina.

I want Kors back because I like him.  It is a selfish desire.  ;^)  Not thinking he could fix anything.  I would rather have all the judges be in the fashion business, too.  Skip the actors.  I doubt they could get her but Laura would be excellent.  Santino is another I would like to see on the panel.  There are others from the Bravo days, as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/14/2017 at 7:26 PM, SingleMaltBlonde said:

One of my favorite challenges was having the designers just make a dress out of muslin. So it was all about the design.

In season #2 they mailed the designers several yards of muslin to create something at home and that was their first challenge. 

I loved that.  This was Santino's dress projectrunway4.jpgand he won. 

1 hour ago, auntlada said:

Although Ashley would probably have had a dumpster fire of a final runway with any size models, @wings707.

Yep!  Good point.  Lol

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, wings707 said:

 Oh no, it is my wish for standard size models that is controversial!  LOL  I am not fat shaming, I just prefer it.  I take ideas from runway fashion, even on the show, to perk up my jeans T-shirt wardrobe.  

Yeah, me, too, but I'm faaaaaaar from standard model size, so I appreciate seeing clothes fitted to a body more like mine. I can't translate most runway styles to my everyday wear, because it's not just a matter of scaling up in size. The proportions are really different. Also, I'm short-waisted; most models have long torsos.

About all I can borrow from runway fashion is colors and accessories.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, carrps said:

Yeah, me, too, but I'm faaaaaaar from standard model size, so I appreciate seeing clothes fitted to a body more like mine. I can't translate most runway styles to my everyday wear, because it's not just a matter of scaling up in size. The proportions are really different. Also, I'm short-waisted; most models have long torsos.

About all I can borrow from runway fashion is colors and accessories.

Several years ago now, I bought 2 dusters, one pink and the other black.  I wore them over jeans and a T or shirt.  I used jewelry that I had that was similar to the look and color that was on the model and a cool pair of similar shoes.  Runway clothes are not to be worn as they are shown anyway.  I also bought a couple of kimono tops, also worn with jeans.  I saw that on the runway too.  That was about 10 years ago and now they are everywhere.   Stuff like that.  

I am not very tall and don't wear size 2, it is just easier to see the clothes on a thin woman, that is all.  I know I would not look good in anything the designers made for the plus sized women this season.  I didn't like anything.  <shrug> 

Ashley Graham is a beauty and nicely proportioned.  I can see the clothes she wears, easily.  I guess it is more about figure shape than size. 

ashley_glamour_001_copydc625f9c04ca076cf

Share this post


Link to post

Another suggestion.  Use Art Museum, field trip to a garden, city streets, boats on the rivers, food displayed at a farmers market, a flea market on the street, parking garage, Central Park, hotel kitchen and dinning room anything other than cancer or some obscure challenge that is too limiting.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

In some ways I just want to see them get back to basics. I know they need sponsors and themes for episodes but I just want simple things sometimes. An outerwear challenge, for example, so we can see who can set a sleeve or line a garment or sew in pockets. Or a red carpet challenge. Make people do more than just the same type of outfit week after week. I'm sure a creative producer can figure out sponsorship tie-ins. I just want more than nebulous concept and then a judging that seems to be disconnected from it.

I actually thought the Shopkins/Avant Garde tie-in was brilliant. Dolls are fantasy and are built to be over the top so using that as a launching point for the designers to do over the top Avant Garde fashion really worked for me while still getting the show its sponsorship money.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I would love to see Diana Ross (a 70's challenge?) or Tracee Ellis Ross as a judge.  Bravo could make it happen. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Male models, its shouldn't just always be women impowerment and women women women, i think people should be able to design for all not just a certain sex. Got to spice up make cloths too.

Share this post


Link to post

I would love to see a challenge where the judges pick specific weaknesses or design crutches they see in each designer's work and then limit the designer based on that. For example, Victoria said she loves asymmetry and cutouts. I'd freaking love it if the judges told her "Ok design anything as long as it doesn't have any cutouts and the hem is an even length."

I'd also love to see a historical challenge where each designer was given a super distinctive fashion shape from history (e.g. 18th century panniers or the Elizabethan neck ruffle) and then make it modern.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size