Type keyword(s) to search

The Relationships Thread: The Cardiac Wing

• Start Topic

(edited)

Super Random Thought: I think it's neat how Robin and Patrick's couple name ended up sticking as Scrubs and not as a squish name. Although it would have been fun typing and saying "Pobin" a bunch, heh.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, ulkis said:

Super Random Thought: I think it's neat how Robin and Patrick's couple name ended up sticking as Scrubs and not as a squish name. Although it would have been fun typing and saying "Pobin" a bunch, heh.

I always loved it. Made it more personal. The pairing and the fan love was so fun in the beginning, too.

• Love 3

OTOH, I'm glad that Robin and Stone are a couple mainly referred to by their full names. Not all couples need a portmanteau, although even Jason and Robin were J&R. I've heard JaRob too, though.

(Although the idea of Jax and Brenda being Brax is hilarious to me, because it sounds like a toilet cleaner.) 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/14/2017 at 6:49 PM, HeatLifer said:

I always loved it. Made it more personal. The pairing and the fan love was so fun in the beginning, too.

Early Scrubs sucked me in hard.  I forgot how much fun they were. Love-hate relationships are my absolute favorite romantic trope, and these two had chem in spades from the get-go. The first ILYs, the constant bickering, the monkey virus stuff. The only stain was the constant chem testing of Patrick and Carly and his continued friendliness with her despite her assholery toward Robin. And since Robin only had two great loves before then, it made it all the more special, IMO. The writers at the time seemed to invest in the couple, to know that a character like Robin falling in love would be an investment for her. And there was such good pacing and build-up.

I think JT really lucked out being paired with a legacy character who had no other romantic attachments (JnR round 2 was never going to happen). I imagine Patrick might have gone the way of the dodo without the pairing. Sure, they tried him with Elizabeth, Emily, and Carly, but the chem was non-existent, and those three characters were already heavily involved with others. JT's own talent and chem with KMc helped, of course.

I'll also throw my hat in the ring and lament the lack of Ethan and Kristina although, from what I understand from gossip, NP was allegedly uncomfortable playing against LA, who still looked pretty young. I don't even think she was of age yet. Kristina and Johnny also intrigued me, but for the same reasons was never given the time of day. Reminds me of Guza or whoever holding off on JnR until Kim grew older.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, EarlGreyTea said:

I think JT really lucked out being paired with a legacy character who had no other romantic attachments (JnR round 2 was never going to happen). I imagine Patrick might have gone the way of the dodo without the pairing. Sure, they tried him with Elizabeth, Emily, and Carly, but the chem was non-existent, and those three characters were already heavily involved with others. JT's own talent and chem with KMc helped, of course.

I always thought JT and KMc were special, but I didn't truly get how much until I saw him paired with others. He had nice chemistry (not necessarily romantic) with other actors, but what him and KMc created was on another level that no one else could touch. It was just so natural; they never really had to try to make something happen as two actors. It was just there. I think it was KMc who said that people on set used to say they were like a divorced couple who still got along, lol. 

• Love 3
(edited)
35 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

I always thought JT and KMc were special, but I didn't truly get how much until I saw him paired with others. He had nice chemistry (not necessarily romantic) with other actors, but what him and KMc created was on another level that no one else could touch. It was just so natural; they never really had to try to make something happen as two actors. It was just there. I think it was KMc who said that people on set used to say they were like a divorced couple who still got along, lol. 

Good points! I think it's also why the Kimson  rumors were so incredibly strong back in the day (to this day I'm PRETTY sure they never dated, but I wouldn't be surprised). One of my favorite all-time Scrubs scenes was when for some reason Robin had to abstain from sex and they're sitting on the docks and he says something like, "You'll be begging me to stop" and she goes, "only if you do it right." DAMN. Even JnR, as sizzling as they were, were more of an innocent romance. I loved Scrubs because it was Robin as a woman.

There's also this early scene that would be forgettable in the hands of any other couple, where Patrick complains that they've fallen into a rut, and then he recites Robin's usual Chinese takeout order. It was a throwaway scene, but their chem was such that little moments like that stuck with me all these years later. You could see them as a couple in the real world.

By the way, I can't for the life of me remember the dates so I can find clips of those scenes - anyone else remember?

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 3

I don't recall the date of this, either, but I recall, in the usual Scrubs fashion, that Robin and Patrick were fighting about...something. Hee. It was at the nurse's hub. They fight and then Patrick is all, "Hungry?"

Robin: "Starving."

Patrick: "Chinese?"

And then they just move on.  :-) I know it was in 2006, but...yeah. And Patrick would have been just the usual ship in the GH night (as his connection with Papa Noah was sporadic in part due to RS popping in and out) if not for JT, IMO. The temp recast of Ethan Erickson really hit that home! (I recall someone used to have a page of Scrubs clips with screen caps, and during the EE/Patrick stint, he was labeled "Not Patrick!" And, funnily enough, I don't recall KMc ever calling EE Patrick on screen, ever.)

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, EarlGreyTea said:

Good points! I think it's also why the Kimson  rumors were so incredibly strong back in the day (to this day I'm PRETTY sure they never dated, but I wouldn't be surprised). One of my favorite all-time Scrubs scenes was when for some reason Robin had to abstain from sex and they're sitting on the docks and he says something like, "You'll be begging me to stop" and she goes, "only if you do it right." DAMN. Even JnR, as sizzling as they were, were more of an innocent romance. I loved Scrubs because it was Robin as a woman.

There's also this early scene that would be forgettable in the hands of any other couple, where Patrick complains that they've fallen into a rut, and then he recites Robin's usual Chinese takeout order. It was a throwaway scene, but their chem was such that little moments like that stuck with me all these years later. You could see them as a couple in the real world.

By the way, I can't for the life of me remember the dates so I can find clips of those scenes - anyone else remember?

I completely agree about the little moments. I think a lot of TV/movie fans are always drawn to the physical; they determine chemistry based on sex scenes or the way actors kiss, for example. For me, pure chemistry is about making even the most mundane moment seem effortless and interesting.

Here are those scenes you mentioned: 

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 3
(edited)
21 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

I completely agree about the little moments. I think a lot of TV/movie fans are always drawn to the physical; they determine chemistry based on sex scenes or the way actors kiss, for example. For me, pure chemistry is about making even the most mundane moment seem effortless and interesting.

Here are those scenes you mentioned:

Yay thank you! Brightened my day. Do you happen to also remember the one that WendyCR72 mentions, where they're like:

It's so simple, yet it's one of my favorite exchanges of theirs. I was Barging it up when Sabrina arrived on the scene, but I retroactively feel bad for the actress. I saw a handful of her scenes, and wow did she rankle. But I'm sure it wasn't easy to come between a couple with 7 years' history, chemistry, and fan support to boot. Does anyone remember if JT was brought in specifically for KMc? I don't remember that being the case, because I recall some chem testing with other actresses, but maybe he was.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
17 minutes ago, EarlGreyTea said:

Yay thank you! Brightened my day. Do you happen to also remember the one that WendyCR72 mentions, where they're like:

It's so simple, yet it's one of my favorite exchanges of theirs. I was Barging it up when Sabrina arrived on the scene, but I retroactively feel bad for the actress. I saw a handful of her scenes, and wow did she rankle. But I'm sure it wasn't easy to come between a couple with 7 years' history, chemistry, and fan support to boot. Does anyone remember if JT was brought in specifically for KMc? I don't remember that being the case, because I recall some chem testing with other actresses, but maybe he was.

I don't know if that's what happened, but it seemed to me extremely early on that Patrick was earmarked for Robin.

Of course, that also fit my agenda of wanting my girl as far away from Jason and Sonny as possible, so I was probably also seeing exactly what I wanted to see, Robin expending a lot of her time and effort on two men who either loved her immediately (her future father-in-law) or came to love her (her future husband), rather than two disgusting ingrates who didn't deserve her time and attention.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, EarlGreyTea said:

But I'm sure it wasn't easy to come between a couple with 7 years' history, chemistry, and fan support to boot.

Sabrina was a textbook example of how not to introduce a new character. 

19 minutes ago, EarlGreyTea said:

Does anyone remember if JT was brought in specifically for KMc? I don't remember that being the case, because I recall some chem testing with other actresses, but maybe he was.

I think he was, but I also think the testing was fairly standard back then. Patrick could have worked with a few characters, but JT and KMcC were really, really good together.

• Love 4

"Gordo", as Patrick was dubbed in the audition side [yikes!], actually had the audition scene, at least in name, with Carly. (I say "in name" because for sides, sometimes the names of current characters can be a cover for other current characters, etc. Although in this case, it did sound like actual Carly.)

So was Patrick earmarked for Robin? It seemed to play out as such (which suited me just fine as an admitted Scrubs devotee!), but maybe that wasn't always the plan, and the chemistry took TIIC elsewhere and they did the actual smart and now rare thing of going with that chemistry...

• Love 4

Patrick, to me, was also a good example of how to introduce a new character that's a child of/tied to a veteran character in a smart way that, to my knowledge, didn't contradict anything we'd seen.  "Oh, Noah Drake's son, he's a doctor too, of course!".

• Love 6

It was also logical that Noah would have a kid who might end up at GH. The family tie was worn lightly enough that it established Patrick without hamstringing him to one story or path. Today it would either be introduced once and ignored (à la Hayden) or we'd be bludgeoned with it (Franco).

• Love 5

So, even though this was asked for centuries ago, I was rewatching Scrubs on YouTube ( as I do when the show is losing my interest) and I found the clip that had the classic Scrubs banter (!) aka "Hungry?" "Starving." "Chinese?"

The scene happens at the very end of the clip:

https://youtu.be/LX4NhFsFo_E

(Full disclaimer: hopefully the link works because I'm hopeless with technology, if not the scene happens on 10-04-06)

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Oopsiedaisy said:

So, even though this was asked for centuries ago, I was rewatching Scrubs on YouTube ( as I do when the show is losing my interest) and I found the clip that had the classic Scrubs banter (!) aka "Hungry?" "Starving." "Chinese?"

(Full disclaimer: hopefully the link works because I'm hopeless with technology, if not the scene happens on 10-04-06)

Yes thank you!! Love it! Damn, I'd forgotten how well Patrick and Robin meshed in the workplace. When's the last time there was a GH couple with a shared career that drove interesting storylines (don't answer that, as there are probably quite a few)? While they definitely lucked out with making Patrick a legacy character's son, they also did the right thing making him a doctor, too. The number of organic storylines that were tied to other characters on the canvas was a real gold mine.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Oopsiedaisy said:

Thank you! At least I got the year right.  :-)

• Love 1

I watched Liz's proposal to see whether it could soften my view of Franco. It didn't. - just made me feel bad for Liz.

I think the Liz/Franco relationship and that speech would have worked better with a character like AJ. He's done Liz level shit, but he wasn't a serial killer. Those two could've felt a mutual sense of love and acceptance and "being enough". With Franco it just felt like she'd found somebody who would never leave her because he's so damaged and terrible that he could never do better.

It's depressing.

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 11
12 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

acceptance and "being enough". With Franco it just felt like she'd found somebody who would never leave her

This makes me wish that either BM/Drew (since he and Liz had feelings for each other before he had an identity) or back-from-the-dead Nikolas would want her back and try to woo her.  Even taking the Niz affair mess into consideration, Nikolas would be a better love interest.  They were friends for a long time, and she can trust him with her sons. I miss the days of Liz having both real friendships with other characters, and a viable love interest. A legacy character like her deserves SO much more than this. Ugh.

• Love 4

Vis a vis Robin and her men, past and present, from the other thread:

I'm more speaking about each man's treatment of Robin. I couldn't care less that Patrick is a neurosurgeon when he screwed a psycho behind Robin's back, for instance.

True, but then I always thought - where Jason was concerned - he used his brain damage as an excuse to screw Carly way back when. His "he didn't know" crap was just that. So six of one and half a dozen of the other there. JMO, naturally!  :-) Both Patrick and Jason could claim the Douchenozzle crown at various points.

As it is, where I sit, I do think Robin is so much better off not being a mob moll. Or getting shot in front of her kid as she did with Sonny (cannot believe she forgave that shit) would be a daily occurrence.

Sam liked that mob shit. Or did before her own kids. I'd like to think that attitude would hold, but if Borg!Jason begged her to return, I have a feeling she'd cave. So, she can have him if it comes to that. (Again, JMO!)

• Love 3

I never understand why any woman would want to be with Jason(or SonnyJulianValentinFranco). But Robin in particular treating Jason as if he isn't what he IS, always made me side eye her. She's a doctor. If she wants to support Jason in his quest to be a better person, that's great. But being okay with him, knowing he's blown people away for a paycheck-that's an odd choice of a friend, for someone who has dedicated their life to SAVING lives. She should at least actively avoid any close relationship with him, even if she doesn't "judge" him. There is such a thing as someone you were once close to, now being toxic to you because of a change in circumstances. The Jason Robin loved was Jason Q. I will never believe Robin loved Jason MORGAN the murderer. Because if she does, chick has problems. As does any woman that loves him.

Edited by IWantCandy71
  • Love 3

Robin had a crush on Jason Q. Robin loved Jason Morgan. If that means she has problems, maybe she has problems, lol? She fell in love with Jason Morgan before he became a hitman. She was also never "ok" with what he did for a living. She never liked it or approved of it or thought he should do it. And they did have distance from each other when Robin came back in 2005-onward. JnR were never hanging out like BFFs in public. That was never what their friendship was about because they didn't NEED to do that. They knew what they meant to each other and why and always held a place for each other in their hearts. That's what JnR were about.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

he used his brain damage as an excuse to screw Carly way back when. His "he didn't know" crap was just that.

I can't agree. Jason was not manipulative like that with Robin. It's not how he was back then. He was wrong, acknowledged it/apologized for it/cried with Robin about it, and never did it again. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

I can't agree. Jason was not manipulative like that with Robin. It's not how he was back then. He was wrong, acknowledged it/apologized for it/cried with Robin about it, and never did it again. 

Agree to disagree there!

• Love 1

He lacked empathy and imagination; he didn't lose all memory of social norms. Even if it wasn't intentionally manipulative, it was incredibly selfish. 

Patrick eventually drew a line with Lisa, Jason moved Carly into their home

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

He lacked empathy and imagination; he didn't lose all memory of social norms. Even if it wasn't intentionally manipulative, it was incredibly selfish. 

Then there's that. So, like I said, neither man was squeaky clean. Both could claim the Douchenozzle Crown. And, even now, I don't see SB!Jason ever cutting Carly out, so...

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

Selfishness was not the topic. Of course it was selfish and stupid. But he was not using his brain damage as a cover, lol. He didn't say, "I slept with Carly because of my brain damage, Robin!" That's not how it was ever written. 

19 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Then there's that. So, like I said, neither man was squeaky clean. Both could claim the Douchenozzle Crown. And, even now, I don't see SB!Jason ever cutting Carly out, so...

You do remember that Patrick was close to Carly, right? Did he cut her off? Nope. Jason moved Carly in because of Michael. What was Patrick's excuse for befriending Carly? I'm honestly asking. 

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

Selfishness was not the topic. Of course it was selfish and stupid. But he was not using his brain damage as a cover, lol. He didn't say, "I slept with Carly because of my brain damage, Robin!" That's not how it was ever written. 

You do remember that Patrick was close to Carly, right? Did he cut her off? Nope. Jason moved Carly in because of Michael. What was Patrick's excuse for befriending Carly? I'm honestly asking. 

Sure, but Carly wasn't his BFF. Can the same be said for Jason to this day? In the grand scheme, Robin left Jason. But - IMO - Jason may not want to screw Carly, but neither is he all that eager to disassociate from her and is still willing to save her 24/7/365 and clean her messes. So, in essence, it can be seen as still choosing Carly, anyway. And that is, I think, something we can agree that Patrick was never inclined to do. He even often put Sonny, Carly, and Michael ahead of Sam. Who was foolish enough to allow it.

Tomato, tomahto. I just don't see this as Jason: Awesome! Patrick: Bad! where the whole Robin deal is concerned.

• Love 3

Patrick and Carly were barely friends. There was never a point where she could go to Patrick and ask of him the things she demands of Jason. 

And we'll have to agree to disagree that Jason's brain damage wasn't supposed to be the excuse for sleeping with Carly. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

And we'll have to agree to disagree that Jason's brain damage wasn't supposed to be the excuse for sleeping with Carly. 

Where's the scene where he used it as an excuse? I'd love to know of it.

7 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Jason may not want to screw Carly, but neither is he all that eager to disassociate from her and is still willing to save her 24/7/365 and clean her messes

What does this have to do with Robin? Jason is not with her. Patrick is and befriended a woman he knows hates her. 

2 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

What does this have to do with Robin? Jason is not with her. Patrick is and befriended a woman he knows hates her. 

And? Patrick hated Jason and Robin remained friends with him. Look, I get it. You love Jason; I don't. But I don't think Patrick is as awful as is often claimed, either. Did he fuck up? Hell yes, he did. But he almost lost Robin. Maybe he didn't pay enough. But the writing never allowed it.

And I'll end this here, as we seem to be going in circles.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

You love Jason;

No, I don't, lol. I watched Jason and Robin in real-time. I know what happened in that story and what Jason did and didn't do. I also know their relationship didn't last as long as Scrubs. Patrick did more shit to Robin. It is what it is. If JnR lasted seven plus years, Jason would have done more shit to her. It's not complicated. It's the unfortunate way pairings are written on soaps because they run 5 days a week for decades.

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 1
Just now, HeatLifer said:

No, I don't, lol. I watched Jason and Robin in real-time. I know what happened in that story and what Jason did and didn't do. I also know their relationship didn't last as long as Scrubs. Patrick did more shit to Robin. It is what it is. If JnR lasted seven plus years, Jason would have done more shit to her. It's not complicated. It's the unfortunate way pairings are written on soaps because they run 5 days a week for decades.

Well, this is true.  :-)  It'd be nice if soaps could break out of the old tropes, but I honestly think the great soap writers are all gone.

• Love 2

While we're on the topic of Jason/Carly/Patrick/Robin, damn did I hate the constant chem testing of Patrick and Carly when he first appeared on the canvas. It was clear he and Robin had IT, had the fanbase, had the writing to back them up. Yet they insisted on making Carly and Patrick friends, even after he knew Robin hated her (which he found out pretty quickly after they met). While had absolutely no commitment to Robin at that point and owed her nothing, it was still annoying that he established a rapport with Carly when they had absolutely fuck all in common, storyline-wise, and kept being thrown together in ways that did not feel organic. It felt like they were trying to create the same screwed up Jason/Carly/Robin dynamic of yore, only without Jason, who was firmly established with Sam at the time.

I wonder how it would have played if TB or even SBr was still in the role. I could see him with TB moreso than with SBr or LW.

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, EarlGreyTea said:

While we're on the topic of Jason/Carly/Patrick/Robin, damn did I hate the constant chem testing of Patrick and Carly when he first appeared on the canvas. It was clear he and Robin had IT, had the fanbase, had the writing to back them up. Yet they insisted on making Carly and Patrick friends, even after he knew Robin hated her (which he found out pretty quickly after they met). While had absolutely no commitment to Robin at that point and owed her nothing, it was still annoying that he established a rapport with Carly when they had absolutely fuck all in common, storyline-wise, and kept being thrown together in ways that did not feel organic. It felt like they were trying to create the same screwed up Jason/Carly/Robin dynamic of yore, only without Jason, who was firmly established with Sam at the time.

I wonder how it would have played if TB or even SBr was still in the role. I could see him with TB moreso than with SBr or LW.

I think making Patrick and Carly friendly was just a bit of a "fuck you" from Guza to Robin.

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Why would he do that?

According to @ulkis (I'm speaking for you now), Guza didn't exactly care for the character of Robin and seemingly made random digs. I came to believe this myself when I randomly came upon a Jason/Courtney scene in France and Courtney asked him if he minded that they didn't go to Paris. And I was like, really, Guza? 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

According to @ulkis (I'm speaking for you now), Guza didn't exactly care for the character of Robin and seemingly made random digs. I came to believe this myself when I randomly came upon a Jason/Courtney scene in France and Courtney asked him if he minded that they didn't go to Paris. And I was like, really, Guza? 

Ugh. Wasn’t he responsible for bringing her back in 2005? ASSHOLE.????

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Ugh. Wasn’t he responsible for bringing her back in 2005? ASSHOLE.????

No, that was Steve. And Steve's wife, heh. They pitched it, Guza agreed. I don't think Guza hated her with a burning passion but I think he saw her as boring, same as he saw Alexis as a frigid and uptight.

Although honestly, NLG gets on my own nerves at times, so in retrospect, I kinda don't blame Guza as much for getting annoyed at Alexis/NLG, if that was the case. 

6 hours ago, ulkis said:

No, that was Steve. And Steve's wife, heh. They pitched it, Guza agreed. I don't think Guza hated her with a burning passion but I think he saw her as boring, same as he saw Alexis as a frigid and uptight.

giphy.gif

You're right! Can't believe I forgot that.  But, GuzASSHOLE would have had to agree to it.  One would think that the fact Robin didn't cut Jason or Mooby out of her life after Jason became Mooby's hitman and Mooby was full-on I-wanna-be-Michael-Fucking!-Corleone, would have been enough for him to not diss the character. Then again, I'm grateful he wasn't able to kill her off.

I always  figured the Patrick/Carly thing was just a thing to keep the Robin/Carly  rivalry alive. You know, soaps and their rivalries. They'd have characters arguing over which is better-soft or hard cheese-if it caused conflict and drama. Plus, even if a character is created for another, soaps will always chem test actors to see what works best-if they have any common sense.  Some of the most popular soap couples were not originally intended to be paired.

I am one who rolls my eyes at the back biting and nonsense of soap battles. Once around is fine, but constantly putting characters in one another's faces, when they don't have to, just to stir the pot-that has always gotten on my nerves. Especially in a genre where some of these characters are at it for twenty plus years. I mean, get over it, already. Show some growth and forgiveness, or STAY AWAY from each other. At least Monica and Tracy went from "I hope you drown !" to embracing and calling one another "sister" at the end. Some peeps are still trying to toss one another down a well after DECADES. Give it a rest, people. The Robin/Carly thing was boring when it was still going on during the early AJ Paternity Switch  years. Knowing when a pump is dry is a good tool for a television writer to have.

Edited by IWantCandy71
  • Love 2

Of course Guza would want to piss on Robin and Alexis. They're both smart, independent women when they're written properly and he loved the dependant mob molds like Carly and Sam.

On 12/19/2017 at 0:26 PM, HeatLifer said:

Robin had a crush on Jason Q. Robin loved Jason Morgan. If that means she has problems, maybe she has problems, lol? She fell in love with Jason Morgan before he became a hitman. She was also never "ok" with what he did for  a living.

When Robin fell in love with Jason she was still a child.

She's an adult now and responsible for the care and protection of her two young children. Whatever her feelings for Jason are now, she's too smart to think that he would be an  acceptable partner for her and father figure to her kids (unlike poor Liz). Maybe Sam is too.

Guza created Alexis, and he gave her some of her best writing. She didn't turn into a flustered hyperventilating schoolgirl until McTavish wrote for her. And the most current crop of female writers decided it would be fine for her to still have feelings for a man who tried to murder her

• Love 1