Type keyword(s) to search

The Relationships Thread: The Cardiac Wing

• Start Topic

43 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

Everytime someone mentions Skye, I start to miss her and AJ. 

Did she interact with SK's AJ? I have a memory of liking them together but that might just be the Love,Hate & Babies fic

25 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

Did she interact with SK's AJ? I have a memory of liking them together but that might just be the Love,Hate & Babies fic

Yeah, in 2012. It was after Jason and Edward died. I remember thinking they were still super sweet together.

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

I could be misremembering myself, but I thought that rationale was why the show didn't pair Jax and Alexis for real, despite their amazing chemistry. He and Chloe were so boring together. And then Jax left (I think? He saw someone who looked like Then Dead Brenda in Paris or someplace and took off?) and so they moved Chloe over to Stefan - note that no writer ever has a problem pairing a woman with an older man, even though I liked them together.

I missed most of Skye/Jax.

Wendy Riche was the one who insisted Alexis was too old for Jax; Guza actually wanted it.

Ah. Well, I wasn't sure who made that call, which is why I didn't specify any writer or EP. I admit I'm not as good at remembering the various regimes as many other people, I still sometimes forget Carlivarti isn't still writing. (That's not a comment, good or bad, on the writing of the show - I almost never watch anymore - just that my mind is a sieve.)

Still, it's stupid reasoning. Jaxis was a huge missed opportunity. I remember how many people used to wish for a retcon that would somehow make Kristina Jax's daughter.

1 hour ago, ulkis said:

Wendy Riche was the one who insisted Alexis was too old for Jax; Guza actually wanted it.

Yeah, it was Wendy Riche. Which is a reason I don't think she is as great as some purport her to be.  ;-) (She was the EP to push Jax/Chloe (YAWN!) and Sonny/Hannah (SNORE!) hard.) From what I recall, Riche was gaga over Chloe, though God knows why.

The show seemed to give Jaxis "moments", though, in a "having the cake and eating it, too!" deal...

• Love 1
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

Yeah, it was Wendy Riche. Which is a reason I don't think she is as great as some purport her to be.  ;-) (She was the EP to push Jax/Chloe (YAWN!) and Sonny/Hannah (SNORE!) hard.) From what I recall, Riche was gaga over Chloe, though God knows why.

The show seemed to give Jaxis "moments", though, in a "having the cake and eating it, too!" deal...

Every professional have their blind spots, even the really good ones.

4 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

Ah. Well, I wasn't sure who made that call, which is why I didn't specify any writer or EP. I admit I'm not as good at remembering the various regimes as many other people

I hope I didn't sound like I was chastising you for not remembering or anything like that, I was just clarifying. :) I just temember it for the same reason Wendy said, it's one of the reasons I don't think WR was much better than JFP.

3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I think she also wanted to recast Kim McC and Jonathan Jackson, and also was the one who opened Genie's jacket up and said she needed to lose weight. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I think she also wanted to recast Kim McC and Jonathan Jackson, and also was the one who opened Genie's jacket up and said she needed to lose weight. 

Do you remember what year she wanted to recast JJ? I think Kim was early '90s, right? I could never confirm that because it was always some rumor that floated around. And then they struck gold with Robin/Stone and Robin/Jason. Lol, Wendy.

23 minutes ago, ulkis said:

So Wendy did suck, too. Of course. Are all EPs short sighted and total asses? It's a dangerous combination.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I hope I didn't sound like I was chastising you for not remembering or anything like that, I was just clarifying. :) I just remember it for the same reason Wendy said, it's one of the reasons I don't think WR was much better than JFP.

Oh, no worries, ulkis! I wasn't offended, just also trying to clarify.

2 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

So Wendy did suck, too. Of course. Are all EPs short sighted and total asses? It's a dangerous combination.

Even Gloria Monty turned a blind eye to Genie Francis' cocaine addiction, and she eventually had to leave the show to get clean. I've heard - though I forget where, so, grain of salt - that part of the reason for that was using kept GF's weight down, which, if true, is awful.

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, ulkis said:

You'd think he would have been more open to Sax (Skye & Jax) then; then again, he didn't put them together.

JFP always had a thing for older woman/younger man couples (see also: Matt & Vanessa on GL, Matt & Donna on AW, Ben & Viki on OLTL), so I guess Jax & Skye was her GH contribution to that. Oh, and Sonny & Alexis. Barf. But even they had fans, believe it or not.

1 hour ago, ulkis said:

I hope I didn't sound like I was chastising you for not remembering or anything like that, I was just clarifying. :) I just temember it for the same reason Wendy said, it's one of the reasons I don't think WR was much better than JFP.

She also told Sarah Brown that she should have kept her legs closed when she got pregnant in real life right as Carly was about to have Michael.

I think she's a good example of someone who has good relationships with women who she hired--she's still friends with Vanessa Marcil & Rena Sofer. 

(And yes, KMc said Wendy almost considered recasting her. But I think that almost happened before that, too, as Fin was still on the show and said that pre-teen Robin and Anna having conflicts would make their relationship more real, rather than just aging Robin when Kim started to leave her kid years behind.)

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

To get back on topic, I wish the scene where Alexis is cross-examining Skye while she's drunk was still on YouTube. Skye felt she lost everything when Jax went back to Brenda. :( 

1 hour ago, HeatLifer said:

Do you remember what year she wanted to recast JJ? I think Kim was early '90s, right? I could never confirm that because it was always some rumor that floated around. And then they struck gold with Robin/Stone and Robin/Jason. Lol, Wendy.

I don't know for sure, but probably around 1997 I bet, when they were planning for some triangle between Lucky and Nikolas.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

I could be misremembering myself, but I thought that rationale was why the show didn't pair Jax and Alexis for real, despite their amazing chemistry. He and Chloe were so boring together. And then Jax left (I think? He saw someone who looked like Then Dead Brenda in Paris or someplace and took off?) and so they moved Chloe over to Stefan - note that no writer ever has a problem pairing a woman with an older man, even though I liked them together.

I missed most of Skye/Jax.

2002 was the year of Skye/Jax, as it were. They met at the end of the summer in 2001, then were basically blown apart the moment Jax went off to find Brenda on their wedding night a year later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c7rGr0Xkn8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkMfD8xbneE

Edited by UYI
11 hours ago, UYI said:

JFP always had a thing for older woman/younger man couples (see also: Matt & Vanessa on GL, Matt & Donna on AW, Ben & Viki on OLTL), so I guess Jax & Skye was her GH contribution to that. Oh, and Sonny & Alexis.

Were Skye and Alexis really supposed to be "older" than Jax and Sonny? They couldn't be more than five years apart, which is nothing. Never watched GL or AW, but at least Ben and Viki had a decent age gap. And even then, it wasn't as gross as Sonny and Emily. 

Though on GH at the moment, all the couples are pretty age equal, save for Parker and Kristina (who aren't really yet a couple anyway). Progress?

45 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Were Skye and Alexis really supposed to be "older" than Jax and Sonny? They couldn't be more than five years apart, which is nothing. Never watched GL or AW, but at least Ben and Viki had a decent age gap. And even then, it wasn't as gross as Sonny and Emily. 

Though on GH at the moment, all the couples are pretty age equal, save for Parker and Kristina (who aren't really yet a couple anyway). Progress?

It's not, but I guess it represents it for JFP as well as anything else. But you're right, that's nothing; I'm four years older than my ex-boyfriend, and when we first started dating, I was 24 and he was 20 (I'm 27 now--sorry, ulkis! :P).

• Love 3
On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 11:43 AM, dubbel zout said:

It doesn't come off as weird on-screen, but Dillon is an generation of characters above Kiki.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

I was just thinking about this, are there any romantic relationships that eventually didn't work out that y'all think the show should have tried again?

Stefan and Bobbie. While they were both still on, of course.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

I was just thinking about this, are there any romantic relationships that eventually didn't work out that y'all think the show should have tried again?

Jax & Skye of course! :)

3 hours ago, LeftPhalange said:

I thought Carly and Sean had some chemistry, mostly before he became Sonny's incompetent hitman. It seemed like something was about to happen and then the writers suddenly pulled back for some reason. 

Garin Wolf started that story. I think it ended once Ron came on board.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, UYI said:

Actually, I'd be curious as to what Jax would have been like with Tamara's Carly, as opposed to Laura's. They were teased in late 2001. 

They would have been amazing. I shipped it, hee.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, ulkis said:

Jax and Alexis, Jax and Alexis, and...hmm...Jax and Alexis!

• Love 2
22 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

For me, hands down, it's Liz and AJ.  It was treated by Ron and company as a placeholder right from the start, but RH and SK sparkled together and there was a lot of interesting story to play there.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, TeeVee329 said:

For me, hands down, it's Liz and AJ.  It was treated by Ron and company as a placeholder right from the start, but RH and SK sparkled together and there was a lot of interesting story to play there.

Honestly, this horrible Franco storyline should be playing out with AJ.  It would actually be soapy and complicated instead of gross

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 5

I'm biased, I know, but I think AJ and Carly would've been far more soapy and driven far more story than AJ and Liz. With Carly there's decades of history, plus Michael, Monica's disapproval, and even Sonny. And since Jason is alive it would've been interesting to see how he would've reacted. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

No love for Jax & Skye? Come on! :P

19 minutes ago, LeftPhalange said:

I'm biased, I know, but I think AJ and Carly would've been far more soapy and driven far more story than AJ and Liz. With Carly there's decades of history, plus Michael, Monica's disapproval, and even Sonny. And since Jason is alive it would've been interesting to see how he would've reacted. 

This. AJ & Carly needed to be explored. 

• Love 3
Just now, Oracle42 said:

I'd have been up for either, though my personal preference is Carly/AJ. But either story would've been infinitely better than the crap stories they've been given with Franco

Same. I think Carly/AJ had so much in common and, in an ideal soap story, would have helped each other get beyond their past and their demons, while also stirring up trouble together. They would have been so delicious, boo.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Definitely this.  They were so cute and sparkly, and then, on a dime, Ron decided he was no longer interested (because AJ was fat), and he just trashed the shit out of them.  It's one of the reasons I loathe the mere idea of Niz.  They ruined Liz/Lucky and Liz/AJ for that grossness.  And AJ trying to help Liz with Jason's son would have been so much more awesome than Franco doing the same.  

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, KerleyQ said:

Definitely this.  They were so cute and sparkly, and then, on a dime, Ron decided he was no longer interested (because AJ was fat), and he just trashed the shit out of them.  It's one of the reasons I loathe the mere idea of Niz.  They ruined Liz/Lucky and Liz/AJ for that grossness.  And AJ trying to help Liz with Jason's son would have been so much more awesome than Franco doing the same.  

This show ALWAYS ruined Liz AND her potential with other dudes because of either Nik or Jason aka relationships that NEVER worked out. WHY, show!?

• Love 5
3 hours ago, LeftPhalange said:

As an AJ fan, I didnt even want him to spit on the beast if she was on fire.

But damn Laura & Sean had IT and so I wanted CarnAJ bad.  I mean seriously, they had that jump off the screen volanic electricity that writers and producers of tv shows in general and movies kill for, and Ron & Frank just threw it away.  

• Love 3

I also think if the show wants to stick with certain "staple" characters and/or pairings (Carly/Sonny, Jason/Sam, Dante/Lulu), they need to at least attempt to make it interesting and new, go places with them they haven't gone before.

With Dante and Lulu I'd kill Olivia off and have Dante addicted to drugs or something, acting out at everyone. If they're gonna have Dante act like an asshole, at least give him a good reason for it.

Sonny/Carly are as about as stable/staple/whatever as my vow not to eat Doritos and Carly should wake up soon and be like, "hey, why the hell do I care so much about raising Sonny's latest kid." 

Sam/Jason . . . I dunno, not my area of expertise. They should do something with his memory loss, I guess. Re-adjusting to each other as people. Have Jason do something different and realize hey, this might not be the person I fell for. 

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 3

I think Olivia being murdered and Dante becoming obsessed with the investigation could be interesting. Lulu discovering he's on drugs, or maybe the murderer is drugging Dante, I dunno.

I think this show needs to desperately give Sam something, which would, in turn, effect Jason. I think it should have been them realizing they're two different people now and working through that and dealing with the differences, as you said. Has anyone realized she's just been in light-hearted relationships with little to no conflict since like, 2013?  I mean, I'm grateful we're past every character saying she "deserves to be happy," but what the hell. This isn't Full House.

I think Sonny and Carly's issues should have been AJ. I don't think Carly should have ever helped him with covering the murder.

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

I think Sonny and Carly's issues should have been AJ. I don't think Carly should have ever helped him with covering the murder.

I mean, you can take your pick. Pretty much anything except Carly hurling guns into the water in anger that - gasp - she married a violent man! 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

I mean, AJ should have been a coma...

But, yes! Because that? is also choosing between her children and gives Morgan a legitimate grudge against Michael.  Having his father in jail because Carly chose Michael's father is soapy as shit.  And Carly/Ava should be at war because Ava helped create a disaster that tore her family apart instead of sniping over a totally unnecessary baby

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, ulkis said:

Pretty much anything except Carly hurling guns into the water in anger that - gasp - she married a violent man! 

And then Frank's bullshit about Carly being exactly the right person because of all that. Please.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

Carly and Sonny's issue should be that Carly and AJ are semi dating while Sonny is isolated and stuck dealing with fucking Ava and their stupid crypt baby.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

I don't think any of the things that are wrong with this show are solved by pairing Liz/Jason. Nor do I believe that any of the problems with Jason as a character (in either incarnation) can be laid at the feet of his romantic pairings. 

This. I think the problem with Jason in his pairings (the problem with Jason overall is a whole other story) is not the specific person he's with. It's that at a certain point on this show, especially in the '00s, the women always cared about Jason more than he cared about them. He was always in the drivers seat essentially while his women followed. 

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 5

I don't like liason but considering Jason was the male lead, pairing him with a mileqtoast character who had no problems with his lifestyle and didn't challenge him in any way didn't help matters. Same for Sam with Jason. It says something that all the growth the Sam character ever experienced happened when she wasn't with Jason. Sam without Jason can be a vibrant character. With Jason, she is a wet dishrag. Jasam has never done anything for either of those characters since 2005. 

Jason basically is just Billy Miller sort of acting. I have no idea who this Jason is. Character development has been thrown out the window.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

The love interest never made a difference; Guza wasn't going to change Jason's job or how he felt about it. 

And Guza was also never going to change that the people who wanted Jason to be a better human were wrong. It was all fucked up, tbh. But that's how the show rolled.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, melody16 said:

That's what I am saying. Jason should have been paired with someone who challenged him. Sam, Liz etc don't challenge him. It's all the same. But Sam was the one stuck with him and enabling him for far longer.

All of the women that he's been in a relationship with him have challenged him on other issues; sometimes he concedes, sometimes he doesn't. But Jason doesn't need a mob enabler because there was never a question that he was going to keep working for Sonny. A woman who challenged that wouldn't have been in a relationship with him because he would end it. I believe that's what happened with SWSNBN - don't remember, I did chores during most of their scenes.

That's why Sam's disregard for the illegality of his job bothered me the least - because she grew up with and as a criminal. She wasn't compromising a moral upbringing by being with him. 

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 3

The show always wanted it both ways with Jason/Sam, and anyone mob-related in their circle, which is why they always lost me. The criminals should never be the moral centers of a show, IMO. There's a difference between "OK, these are gray characters and they do bad things, but they're good, too" and literally trying to portray Jason as a GOOD man who deserves all happiness in the world more than anyone else. Like, no, I'm sorry.

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 8
18 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

The show always wanted it both ways with Jason/Sam, and anyone mob-related in their circle, which is why they always lost me. The criminals should never be the moral centers of a show, IMO. There's a difference between "OK, these are gray characters and they do bad things, but they're good, too" and literally trying to portray Jason as a GOOD man who deserves all happiness in the world more than anyone else. Like, no, I'm sorry.

Remember Jason saying, "how much more is Sonny supposed to take?" lol. I forget when he said it though.

• Love 4
On 9/1/2016 at 10:24 PM, LeftPhalange said:

Carly and Sonny's issue should be that Carly and AJ are semi dating while Sonny is isolated and stuck dealing with fucking Ava and their stupid crypt baby.

Due respect, but Sonny is the one Carly chose specifically to keep Michael away from AJ, and no one put a gun to her head to make her do it. I don't see why she "deserves" to be free of him when this is what she wanted all those years ago.

3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Poor Sonny. He never catches a break, does he?

He's not dead, isn't that enough? :-P