Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E08: The Payoff

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

There was a deleted scene where former DCC Mia came in and took and performed because of two year vet Ashley's injury. I wish they would have shown the scene instead of Melissa R. waiting to see the rookies. If there is a season 10, please no Melissa R. I feel bad for Ashley because she was crying over not being able to perform. Kelsey bug me, and I wish they would have focus on more on the vets. And I was surprise there was not mention of the swimsuit calendar this year.

I can't find this deleted scene

Too funny!!!     And yes, I didn't know they had a technique coach either.  Don't they understand we want to know all about the team?  LOL

Shelly roper is the technique coach for the kicks and jump split , she appeared first in a couple of episodes in  season 7 .

Interesting comment Judy made about the number of blondes on the  team when she was sitting up the squad photo. Between facebook not being the girls' friends, Kelli bringing up people not understanding her, and the blonde comment, someone is reading DCC forums.

Yes, definitely low on blondes this year...

I was reading Brittney's live tweets in the show on Friday. She was saying that Ashley P wasn't misunderstood but 'she's just so beautiful that its intimidating. I'd be scared to talk to her too!' Interesting. Do you all agree she's the most beautiful DCC?

• Love 1

I laughed when Judy said the perception of the DCC is that they only take tall leggy blondes. Maybe if she hadn't mentioned that in the same episode where they put Caila on the team and then showed her messing up repeatedly, I wouldn't have been rolling my eyes. And while I think Lauren looks much better with her dark hair, they took her into training camp as a blonde, so there's that.

I noticed that after the team was announced and Lauren said she would have changed her hair to any color they wanted, she still didn't sound like she actually meant it. But good for her for knowing to at least make the effort to say that on camera.

• Love 2

They are all very beautiful - a lot of it comes down to personal taste when trying to figure out who's the prettiEST. IMO Ashley P. is in the top 20% when it comes to facial beauty on the squad, but I think Vivian was prettier.

I think the prettiest DCC of all for the 3 seasons I've watched the show was Kali Nicole.

Yes, v true, there are so many pretty girls, I can hardly work out the most beautiful. Kali was a great looking girl, I agree - and agree on Vivian too. I think Brittney S herself has a beautiful face, Jackie Bob had perfect features too...but they're all such handsome girls...

Brittney, Jenna, Holly, and Melissa Rycroft and Trisha Trevino in their hay days were, IMO, the most beautiful DCCs. Ashley P sometimes looks like Candice Swanepoel from afar but close up, something about her nose/eyes reads somewhat harsh. I could see why someone would assume that she was stuck-up or rude just by going by looks alone. 

Something about Caila's face seems harsh to me, too. Her nose? I think Breelan is a TOTAL bombshell. She is adorable, and if she can grow more confidence this season, could be a total hottie rookie. Loren's sentiment about dyeing her hair whatever color they wanted still didn't sound 100% genuine. She'd go back yellow blonde yesterday if she could. And on a dance note, I still find her to be very s******, almost TOO powerful in a non-DCC trained way. Caila, Loren, Breelan, Ashley P --- the team easily could have been 32 this year.

• Love 1

I think the prettiest DCC of all for the 3 seasons I've watched the show was Kali Nicole.

I never got the Kali appeal (looks wise), she just seemed thick and overall very masculine featured.  But i'm sure she was a very nice girl since everyone seems to love her.  I also felt that way about Trisha Trevino though.  

On the current squad, IMO Ashley Pro is the prettiest.  But it could be a 3-way tie with Holly and Ashley N.  Then the next tier would be Katy, Courtney, Emma, Nicole and Jordan.  Then everyone else.  Then at the very bottom: Rachel LeAnn, Danielle and Jennifer E.   I am still completely baffled at how Rachel is on this team.

I think the all-time prettiest DCC was Ashton Torres, with Abigail Klein being a close second.

Edited by ThreaLevelMidnight
  • Love 1

All the girls that are on the team, should be on the team.  K&J know what they are doing.  Do they make mistakes in some of their choices?  Yes. But that is on the cheerleader, not the coaching staff.  Not every girl rises to what they should. 

• Love 1

In my opinion, Nicole, Samantha, Veronica, Kinzie, Katy, Danielle, and Emma (wish they change her hair color) are adorable. Victoria and the one girl with the hair Miss Kitty did not care for are my two favorite rookies.

Ashton, Alyssa, Mackenzie, Mia, and Lauren are adorable too.

They kept Caila because 1. She was a junior DCC and 2. She is Judy's dream. Tall, leggy blonde. These things alone can excuse her being a "dance risk" by the team's choreographer.

Edited by homelife

I know I was pretty harsh about the faces Breelan makes, but it's fixable. Both she and Chandler just need to spend some time practicing different facial expressions in the mirror and taping themselves while dancing so they can work on making pleasant facial expressions. Dancers, actors, and other performers all learn how to do it so those two should be able to do it too. It just takes awareness and practice, just like dancing! Like I said, both of them are capable of having nice facial expressions, so it's in there. They just need to learn how to control their faces. Chandler needs to learn how to relax her face a bit more so that her smile isn't so intense (which causes her gums to show and gets her eyes squinty/wrinkly). Breelan needs to learn how to align her head/neck/shoulders with each other (or hell, just think about pushing her chin forward until she can stop unconsciously pulling her head back) and really focus on smiling instead of looking spaced out. Heh, I'd love to watch Tyra give her a smize lesson.

• Love 1

Given that Kelli and Judy ostensibly hadn't yet made up their minds going into the last day who would be on the team, did they have different team composite photos at the ready so they could pull out the appropriate one when it was time to make the announcement? So one with all 36, and one with everyone but Ashley, and one with everyone but Caila, and one without Caila, Breelan, and Ashley, etc., etc., etc...  Just how many prints would they have needed? That would make a good math problem for the Texas textbooks :)

Loved that there was more dancing in this episode, and more girlfriend realness. If I had my way I would swap out Caila for Chandler. Also, after seeing some of Chandler's college pics, I would grow out her hair, as it softens her look a bit. She does smile big, which creates some lines, so maybe a teeny bit of botox? I hate even suggesting it, but I like her. I think she's sweet and adorable and a good dancer.

Looking back over this thread and recalling some comments made again and again, it's usually about us wanting more--more dancing, more coaching, more veterans, more personal lives, more football season, more calendar. Even when it's less, such as less Kitty, it's the nastiness we want less of, not the dance class. That's why it's sad to me that the season is over already. I feel that an 8 episode season barely scratches the surface of the potential material, and given the little time we were given, so much of it was wasted on stupid Vivian drama, boring Melissa mentoring, and repetitive random rookies not making the cut. I'm left vaguely unsatisfied.

And yet I still love the show and find favorites to root for every year, and dammit every single season is a two hanky finale. Not a year goes by where I haven't cried when they announce the team, and again when they take the field for the first game. Every year! I'm such a sucker.

• Love 4

When they take the field for the first time is exciting. If only they wouldn't cut the performance to pieces. CMT sucks in this regard.

Unless they're not allowed to show the complete performance.

I also think it's sad that when the girls make their big entrance, the stadium is half empty. People are still getting in to the stadium, finding their seats, getting food and drinks, souvenirs and all that.

When I was lucky enough to be there, a few years ago, my brother and I were so excited that we were super early and had a chance to look around the stadium some and find our nose-bleed seats. so I did watch their performance.

I guess I am in the minority, because I actually don't like Ashley Pro's looks at all and would rank her in the bottom 50% for facial beauty. l really enjoyed seeing Melissa Rycroft as a judge this season, and I liked her continued involvement with the show as a mentor, but I did think the Breelan fixation she seemed to have was a little over the top. I actually like Breelan, but when it showed Melissa waiting in Breelan's locker, I have to admit I rolled my eyes. I feel like she was intended to mentor all of the rookies, but Breelan was the only one she really took an interest in and it became a situation where Breelan was getting special treatment and attention because of Melissa. I believe that if Melissa had not been a part of this season, Breelan wouldn't have made the team. In future seasons, I'd like to see Melissa help Kelli and Judy weed out the rookies who can't keep up or are not good fits for other reasons, but I hope they cut out the cheesy, staged things like the intervention with the parents, and I hope that her attention is not focused primarily on one girl again. I'd like to see Melissa give more serious constructive criticism instead of "You can do it!! BFFs!!!" attitude she seemed to have with Breelan.

Sasha was the most beautiful IMO. And Ashton.

Current girls are Brittney, Katy is adorable, Emma, Nicole, Holly and Kinzie is darling. I think I would consider Kinzie the most beautiful.

Odd that Judi commented negatively on Ashley Pro the entire time for dance but she loved Caila...IMO Breelan and Caila shouldn't have made it.

• Love 1

Caila to me looks a great deal like Kimber from Season 2 -- the one who was cut because she wasn't very articulate and missed an appearance because she asked her boyfriend to email for her.  The resemblance seems uncanny, at least until Caila starts talking -- they don't sound alike.

They are all very beautiful - a lot of it comes down to personal taste when trying to figure out who's the prettiEST.

This!!!  We could argue all day over who is the prettiest.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  

That being said, I think Ashley P, Breelan, and Caila are all totally gorgeous. I am not a dance expert so I wasn't offended by their dancing, and I'm happy they all made it! Although, I wonder if Hannah had not gotten cut, would Caila have made the team? Did she replace Hannah as the tall, leggy blonde? I guess we will find out who was really good enough next year at auditions!

• Love 1

I liked this episode. I felt bad for Ashley when Kelli was reading that stuff that her former dance team leaders said about her - that she was rude, standoffish, etc. - what the hell? That's awful stuff and I wonder who said it? And poor Ashley seemed genuinely shocked that whoever it was would say things like that - I felt really bad - it must be awful to learn someone said things like that about you on the spot like that.

. I am glad Emma stood up for her. In another episode when the team veterans were in there the vet didn't appear to stick up for the rookie (of course there are edits though) and they got cut. So I do think what the vets say does play a part especially if they are on the bubble. I did not get the point of telling Ashley all those things unless it came from DCC dancers last year. otherwise maybe Kelly wanted to nip it in the bud if there was any grain of truth. I never got that sense from Ashley... If anything I think now that she is on the team she will gain some confidence and grow into her position. she always appeared to be a shy nervous wreck. I am glad she made it. :)

I think someone else said it but I can not find it... Melissa R can be a good edition but I don't think I like these social interventions. she should mix it up and work with different girls and I would like to see what dance help they are giving them rather than confidence talks. someone worked with Breelin on using her hair in dance in one episode and Kelli noticed a change right away... So those tips and tricks would be nicer to see than "you can do it!" And too much Breelin one girl focus I would have loved to see Mary and Erica and some of the other girls. a

• Love 1

I found it interesting when they were laying out the group photo shot that Kelli said they usually put the rookies at the back and saved front and center for the more senior girls.  Am I crazy or wasn't Cassie in the front on her rookie picture?  I seem to remember them getting her into a laying down pose right in the front.  I am too lazy to go find the pic so somebody tell me if I am remembering wrong.

Trisha Trevino?! Most beautiful?! Sorry, but I always thought she resembled skeletor.

I think Ashley Pro is gorgeous and I agree that I never got the rude, stuck up vibe from her either. Others I think are gorgeous - Breelan, Kinzie, Holly, Katy, Emma, Caila, Danielle, Samantha, Erica, Britney (most of the time) and Brunette Ashley. Honestly, so many of them are gorgeous it's hard to list them all.

Ashton and Abigail were my favorite beauties back in the day.

I agree with the poster up thread: the "game day footage" was anything but. I think the first cut might have been the real one. It looked like the hole in the triangle was forming and then they cut quickly to the pre-taped footage.

• Love 1

Am I crazy or wasn't Cassie in the front on her rookie picture?  I seem to remember them getting her into a laying down pose right in the front.  I am too lazy to go find the pic so somebody tell me if I am remembering wrong.

. If true that would be so funny.

In response to Kelli remarking she had been misunderstood, I would imagine that many see her as a tough as nails uncaring B****.  However we have seen her be more kind and even have tears in response to cutting girls.  I think she has a business to run but it doesn't mean she doesn't care.  That is what makes good business sense.  What do others think?  Am I off base?

I agree with you 100%.

• Love 1

m I crazy or wasn't Cassie in the front on her rookie picture?  I seem to remember them getting her into a laying down pose right in the front.

No, she did have a lying in the front picture but it was not her rookie season. She does have a good spot in her rookie photo but Kelsi (who was a rookie too) has the same position on the other side: http://www.dallascowboyscheerleaders.com/squad/2008-squad/   I think there were a lot of rookies that year so I guess they couldn't put all of them in the back.  But I think I see Michelle Keys and Dara in the back - I'd be annoyed if I were them!

Are the girls and Kelli and Judy given a list of things to say over and over again. Why show the same thing every season aka Judy freaking out while show group practices or Kelli saying this is the best group of rookies ever. I probably would pass out in shock if something new was shown or said.

On the subject of what was said about Ashley P. I do seem to remember in season 1? about Meagan F. being called standoffish by some of the girls at a pool party get together because she wanted to sit and not join the other girls. Some of the girls went running to the one assistant who went to Kelli and Judy. I guess if K and J like you it is wrong to speak about a girl like that, but if they do not like you then it is okay. Plus the fact, Melissa R wrote in her book about the mean girls on the squad and blame them in part for her leaving the team for good, and she accused Abigail of trying to steal her boyfriend. I guess she can be a mentor since she brought attention for the DCC because she won a reality television show dance show. And lets not forget the heavily edited cut scenes where some of the girls are shown to be standoffish, robotic, or a little off the beam.

I agree that most of the DCC are very pretty young ladies, though there are always a couple each season who do not really appeal to me.  Part of me recognizes this is personal taste, but I also think that with some of these girls, they are on the team because they bring other important things to the table besides their looks.  Kelli even said this season that sometimes she counts character more than cosmetics, and I have to say, I think this has to be true for some DCC.  At the same time, I often feel fine about a girl getting cut who does not really have the "DCC look," but mostly when the show hasn't given much face time with those girls so the audience doesn't get a chance to see any of their personality.  This season, Chandler seemed like one of those cases, as all the girls told her to come back and that episode it looked like every single girl rallied around her (and Alex) to give her hugs.  Like others, I noticed that even though it appeared most everyone was still in the parking lot when Vivian came out, they did not rush to hug her in the same way.

I appreciated getting to see Judy & Kelli talking with Emma about Ashley.  For one thing, Emma was awesome in selling her argument that Ashley should be on the team, and I think it did impact their final decision.  But I also liked that it gave a glimpse of group leader roles we don't get to see, and it lets us see how much K & J respect the expertise and opinions of the leaders.  Wish we could see me of the group leaders working with their individual groups.  Editing cuts aside, I don't think Sydney went to bat for Vivian because I think she may not have felt that Vivian would make a strong DCC, and probably wasn't her biggest fan (as Vivian pointed out, that's what her Facebook fans are for).  Sydney surely recognized Vivian's inconsistency with the dances and field work, and more than that, probably saw enough of her group member to at least suspect she was more into herself than the team, was potentially toxic, and maybe just not that likable or trustworthy.  I can appreciate that Sydney was trying to be a good group leader and team member by supporting Vivian while she was still in TC, but I also appreciate that she wasn't being insincere and saying or doing things she didn't mean in the office meeting.

With only 10 rookies, I find it very disappointing that they did not bother to introduce us to each rookie, even though they did manage to show each rookie dancing at the end of the finale (thanks for that, btw).  That would have meant introducing one rookie each episode and only doubling up twice.  I mean, Lacey is a killer dancer--and seems like quite the charming young lady, based on her hilarious and nonchalant discussion of kicking herself in her face during auditions--but we never got to know her, and hardly got to see her dance for more than a second at a time.  We never formally met Mary, either, though she did have a couple more talking head moments throughout the season.  She seems humble, hard working, and looks like a great dancer.  I'd love to have known more about them both, rather than watching all the Vivian crap, Melissa interventions, or fashion show/Belk ads.  I think Breelan, Ashley P and Caila might not have made the team in more competitive rookie seasons (like Mackenzie Lee's year), but I do think they will be able to pull this off and develop as performers to be strong DCCs.  I agree with others that I'd prefer to see them working with vets on their dancing rather than Melissa telling them they're awesome or making Breelan cry.  All that said, I really liked it when we did get "introduced" to the TCCs, but wish they would pay more attention to including the girls talking about their dance or performance history/training since, you know, this is a dance show and all.  I'm glad all 10 made the team, and hope most of them return next year--especially Melissa (who's graduating and a serious student with her eye on the medical engineering field, so I don't know if she will come back), Erica, Mary, Courtney, and Lacey.

Can't believe we hardly got a word out of Holly, the point girl for the season.  Also wish we'd seen group leader and second leader announcements, as I was so curious about the response to Jennifer K (or whatever her new initial is) being chosen as a second leader in only her second season.  Show Group auditions were really missed this year, as that episode usually has some of the best (and most) dancing of the season.  I guess for me this has been a fun season since I love the show so much, but not my favorite.  

Last thing:  I hope Veronica and Brittney return next season.  They are two of my favorites, and I'd hate to think that their last year on a squad they love so much would be one of such struggle and harsh scrutiny.  I think both are good candidates for group leaders or seconds. 

• Love 2

Caila has a bit of a snaggletooth. That's what gives the trailer vibe, but all things considered, it's not bad.

As someone with zero dance experience I would like to know: in the cameo and squad photos it appears they don't wear any tights. Do they have to wear leg makeup or are their legs just perfectly airbrushed? Also, when they actually dance, do they wear tights that are so low-rise that they don't show at the waistline? What's the trick to keeping the tights hidden on top? Thanks!

Regarding showing more dancing...I would love it too, but I doubt it will ever happen. At least not in the way of showing longer clips of dances (and certainly not dances in their entirety). They aren't going to put their full choreography on national TV. Sure, you can find lots of clips on YouTube, but they were all taken by fans.

No, she did have a lying in the front picture but it was not her rookie season. She does have a good spot in her rookie photo but Kelsi (who was a rookie too) has the same position on the other side: http://www.dallascowboyscheerleaders.com/squad/2008-squad/   I think there were a lot of rookies that year so I guess they couldn't put all of them in the back.  But I think I see Michelle Keys and Dara in the back - I'd be annoyed if I were them!

Judy was in that very same spot (as Cassie) in the 1982 DCC squad picture. In fact she got all prime spots for the 4 years she was a DCC. She was in the front row in the 1980, 1981, and 1983 squad pictures  Must be nice. Kelli didn't get to the front row until her 5th (and final) year as a DCC.

Edited by MrsEVH

Sydney surely recognized Vivian's inconsistency with the dances and field work, and more than that, probably saw enough of her group member to at least suspect she was more into herself than the team, was potentially toxic, and maybe just not that likable or trustworthy.

When did they show Sydney talking about Vivian?

Purplemonkey-I believe someone said they buy the dance tights and then cut off the elastic top so it fits below the belt.  Occasionally I see one riding up in back.  I believe that is all they wear to hide their "cash and prizes"!!

As someone with zero dance experience I would like to know: in the cameo and squad photos it appears they don't wear any tights. Do they have to wear leg makeup or are their legs just perfectly airbrushed? Also, when they actually dance, do they wear tights that are so low-rise that they don't show at the waistline? What's the trick to keeping the tights hidden on top? Thanks!

For performances they wear dance tights but cut off the waistband.  They don't really make low rise ones (even the ones called waistband free aren't low enough.  Also ≈If you want the nitty gritty details, it's actually two pairs.  The first layer is dance tights which are thicker, and it's usually a nude color.  But there's no dance tights that are tan enough, so they wear a thin drug store brand in suntan shade as the outer layer.  Wearing just the drugstore brand isn't an option because they're way too thin and wouldn't serve their purpose.

For pictures they don't need tights but they need to make an appointment at their sponsor salon and get spray tanned.  Each girl has a specific shade she is told to get "light" "dark" "extra dark" etc.   The year they yelled at Kaitlyn I'm assuming the issue was she either went an additional time to the sponsor salon or even to a different salon, thus making her darker than her designated shade.    

Purplemonkey-I believe someone said they buy the dance tights and then cut off the elastic top so it fits below the belt. Occasionally I see one riding up in back. I believe that is all they wear to hide their "cash and prizes"!!

I know I saw a very obvious example of someone's showing either this episode or the previous one.

Cutting off the elastic band is a trick lots of performers use. The band sometimes shows through costumes or causes a lump in the waist area (even if you are super skinny). It depends on the color and thickness of the costume too, but most dancers and performers I know cut the elastic off regardless of the costume.

When did they show Sydney talking about Vivian?

iloveit, I was referring to the night they called rookies into the office with their group leaders.  They called Mallory, Alex, and Vivian.  This was the night that Kelli told Vivian she was complicated, obsessed with herself in the mirror, and needed to work on "nuts and bolts" dance issues.  Sydney was shown holding her hand as they waited to go into the office, and when Kelli asked Sydney how she thought Viv was doing, she said (rather diplomatically) that she thinks Vivian lets things get to her head and has trouble letting those things go when she's performing.  She also reiterated (with a smile) to Vivian that she does look great, and should not worry about it.  When Vivian started her nonsense about not know if it's "ok for a rookie to be fun" etc, Sydney was smiling, but looking kind of uncomfortable.  Still, at the end of the meeting, Sydney assured her she would help her address the dance issues, and hugged her after and went out to the lot with her.  I was impressed, as I said, that Sydney managed to be supportive and honest with and about her rookie, yet did not bullshit with false praise for Vivian or say things she did not mean to Kelli or Judy.

Edited by M1977G
  • Love 1

Add me to the list of criers when the announce the team. But, DANG it is such a journey for them. With the exception of Vivian you can see truly how much their heart is in this by the genuine tears. I don't think it was fake so I realize this is going to sound a little like an insult, but Lauren is lucky she showed emotion of the night kelli spoke to her alone. I think she is one of those who tries to appear strong and tough but I think kelli wants humans not robots and she wants women who value the organization for the "right" reasons. I think it was Paige ?? last year who kept that pageant smile locked on her face and it was interpreted as being aloof.

To cast my votes on this unofficial poll going on here, I think of the blonde bombshells on the squad, Kinzie is just beautiful but I also like Samantha, rookie Melissa and Britney S. Nicole and Jennifer A are gorgeous as well... but every woman on that team is pretty. That's why they have the reputation they have.

I've often wondered too if CMT is not allowed to show more of the dances. It makes sense, but I still would like to see itMalone with the real coaching that goes on... For example by Shelly.

Purplemonkey-I believe someone said they buy the dance tights and then cut off the elastic top so it fits below the belt.  Occasionally I see one riding up in back.  I believe that is all they wear to hide their "cash and prizes"!!

While I've never been a DCC, I was in a similar dance/cheer group in the 90s.  We would always cut off the waist band of our tights.  There's no way to wear hot pants with tights if there's a waist band.  It'll make anyone look like they have a muffin top.  The "shorts" we used to wear only came in small, extra small or extra-extra small.  Even though I wasn't a big girl, I am tall.  I had to buy the tights in queen size just so it wouldn't create artificial "bulges" at the top of the shorts.

I second what ThreaLevelMidnight posted.  We had to wear an additional colored pantyhose over the dance tights to make the color even out.  Not fun when it feels like it's a hundred degrees in the shade!

To keep this post on-topic:  I *love* seeing the new squad announced!!!  All the hard work is behind them.  I love the tears of joy and looks of surprise & happiness.  You really feel for the girls and all they've gone through to make the squad.  I was *not* surprised to see Melissa Rycroft waiting in Breelan's locker for her.  Like they were going to cut her after all the time they invested in her.  Anyone else notice Breelan had the most camera time/still shots at the end of the show?  When she's not tucking her chin, she's actually a pretty girl.  There were a few times where she had a great smile on her face and looked confident.  I can see why they wanted her on the squad.  But when they show the pursed lips and tucked chin all the time, it makes you wonder what they see.  Good to know it wasn't just to have another redhead.  She can actually perform when she's not nervous & freaked out.  I really felt bad for Ashley P.  Why would they pull her in to the locker room to tell her something that obviously hurt her feelings?  I don't think it served much of a purpose and seemed to be added "drama" for the sake of drama, than actual constructive criticism.  I think that conversation would have been best to have in private, not on camera.  I was glad to see she made the team, however, since she did so great during cameos, I felt they'd keep her after the positive comments on being photogenic.

So bummed the season is over!

Edited by SopranoKris
  • Love 1