Type keyword(s) to search

The Bachelorette in the Media

• Start Topic

30 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

My biggest fear.... Claire’s season gets so delayed, she ends up passed over for Hannah B.  

That would be awful, because Hannah B is awful and it disturbs me that she is played up to be a symbol of female empowerment- because she is not!! (IMHO)

However, I wouldn’t doubt that was TPB backup plan, but her latest actions and non actions in Instagram probably eliminated that as an option. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Rachel needs to shut her pie-hole and stop thinking she is relevant in ANY way anymore.  I didn't like her or her season.  I felt her whole attitude reeked of entitlement, selfishness and "look at meeee!".   

I read that Marquel was griping about being passed over for Bachelor, as if he ever had a chance.  We saw him on the first BIP and or crap's sake he was one of the most boring and wooden guy on there.  SNOOZE city!  Just because he's black doesn't qualify him!

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 6

Rachel, as the only Black lead in 40 seasons, has an absolute reason to speak her mind.  She is literally the only person with that experience and point of view.  The Bachelor producers have no one else to speak to these because they only have ONE person to do so.  That’s on them.   Other leads can speak up and out and many of them are rightfully doing so as well. 

Marquel reposted a blog post that he wrote in 2014 in which he expressed how that although he was happy for Chris Soules to be picked as Bachelor, he felt that he was passed up due to his race.  6 years later and Peter over Mike Johnson, one would have to think that he had and has a point which is why he reposted and expanded on it on Instagram.  Because it is a very accurate observation.  

Wells Adams was on JoJo season.  She has also signed the petition and spoken out against the lack of diversity.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, LBS said:

Marquel reposted a blog post that he wrote in 2014 in which he expressed how that although he was happy for Chris Soules to be picked as Bachelor, he felt that he was passed up due to his race.  6 years later and Peter over Mike Johnson, one would have to think that he had and has a point which is why he reposted and expanded on it on Instagram.  Because it is a very accurate observation.  

I so wanted Mike Johnson to be the Bachelor. Peter is just so boring.

• Love 9

Whatever....People who have already BEEN on the show as the lead can flap their gums til the cows come home, but the network and show runners DO.NOT.CARE what those people want.  They are all in the show archives and earn them minimal money.  They did their thing, they got paid, now they are irrelevant unless they bring in cash.

The show staff, including Chris Harrison, care what the sponsors want.  Advertising and promotions pay the bills, not some has-been, wannabe "dancer" like Kaitlyn Bristowe or barely-remembered contestant like Marquel whoever.   

They will pick who they want as lead, because they want.  Network TV shows are not a democracy and no petition is going to change that.  

Why do people waste their time trying to make fetch happen?  

• Love 4
(edited)

I feel for Rachel, because the franchise has given her huge career opportunities and she met her husband through it, so she feels a certain loyalty, but its track record with respect to race speaks for itself. Even on her season, there was a guy like Lee. Nick's season had a haunted plantation date. The franchise's idea of racial diversity with male leads is Juan Pablo and playing up Peter's Cuban heritage. 

TPTB pride themselves on how manipulative they are, even with contestants they generally like. People like that only change when they feel their bottom line is at stake, and sometimes, not even then. These types respond very badly to being told what to do. 

The show is structured/arranged to obtain outcomes TPTB deem favorable and producer picks are routinely dragged to Top 4 or 5, but these same showrunners seem to say a non white lead can only happen organically. Sure. All TV producers prioritize what's important to them, and right now this show cares about catering to viewers who will stan for aspiring influencers in their early to mid-20s, often white and Southern. Fine. There's no unalienable right to be on a Bachelor show or have a million Instagram followers, and TPTB are free to cast whomever they want.

But The Bachelor isn't the only dating game in town anymore. In Rachel's shoes, I'd kindly say godspeed to Bachelor Nation and see about taking my talents to Netflix and their global reach. She'd be a better host to those reunion specials than the Lacheys and might have an idea or two about developing a new show, where the real money is. 

Edited by Dejana
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12
2 minutes ago, Dejana said:

But The Bachelor isn't the only dating game in town anymore. In Rachel's shoes, I'd say godspeed to Bachelor Nation and see about taking my talents to Netflix and their global reach. She'd be a better host to those reunion specials than the Lacheys and might have an idea or to about developing a new show, where the real money is. 

What an awesome idea. Something more diverse, original and not stuck in the “reality TV formula”. Speaking from someone who likes data and numbers, their formula has been off for quite a while.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

What an awesome idea. Something more diverse, original and not stuck in the “reality TV formula”. Speaking from someone who likes data and numbers, their formula has been off for quite a while.

The premiere ratings for both Bachelor and Bachelorette have been in decline for a long time. If that hasn't motivated TPTB to change the "formula," what will?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I have as much sympathy for Rachel as I have for Andi.  She's a LAWYER, with a wealthy family, an expensive education and the ability to do whatever she wants. 

I believe they have the voices, channels and contacts to make an actual impact on social injustice, but Rachel in particular wastes time with a relatively small, superficial and unimportant franchise.  The more people natter and bitch about the show and it's unbalanced representation, the more power they give it. 

It's a stupid TV show that's strictly for entertainment purposes only.  Mike Fleiss must be loving the notoriety though.  

• Love 5
(edited)

The pressure worked because TPTB announced Matt James as the next Bachelor this morning. That was obviously the plan, even before Covid-19, but now Matt and Clare don't have to go through the motions of pretending he might get the Final Rose. 

There's no word that Clare’s season isn't happening, but in her shoes, I'd be a little nervous... If it does go forward, already having the next lead in place might actually weed out more of the Wrong Reasons guys. So, this might end up working out for everyone.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Dejana said:

The pressure worked because TPTB announced Matt James as the next Bachelor this morning. That was obviously the plan, even before Covid-19, but now Matt and Clare don't have to go through the motions of pretending he might get the Final Rose. 

There's no word that Clare’s season isn't happening, but in her shoes, I'd be a little nervous... If it does go forward, already having the next lead in place might actually weed out more of the Wrong Reasons guys. So, this might end up working out for everyone.

Some say that The Bachelorette has to be pushed to next year, filming and premiere dates could be rescheduled to March and May 2021, respectively. Dancing with the Stars would keep its regular September-November slot in usual Monday nights.

On 6/10/2020 at 2:11 PM, leighdear said:

I have as much sympathy for Rachel as I have for Andi.  She's a LAWYER, with a wealthy family, an expensive education and the ability to do whatever she wants. 

I believe they have the voices, channels and contacts to make an actual impact on social injustice, but Rachel in particular wastes time with a relatively small, superficial and unimportant franchise.  The more people natter and bitch about the show and it's unbalanced representation, the more power they give it. 

It's a stupid TV show that's strictly for entertainment purposes only.  Mike Fleiss must be loving the notoriety though.  

I've wondered the same thing, too--why anyone with these accomplishments and privileges would go on this show to begin with.  I can only believe it's because fame and attention are more important to them.  How on earth do you seriously promote social change with this shallow franchise as a platform?  You're exactly right that this is entertainment only, and it should stay that way.  It just can't be anything else. 

So Rachel issues all her threats and ultimatums and gets what she wants:  a black bachelor.  And that is good.  But still all the griping continues about the manner in which it happened, the reason it happened, blah, blah, blah.  Just like all the griping abut her finale, her ATFR, her wedding, etc, etc., etc.  It just never stops. She is never satisfied and can never withdraw from the spotlight.  What dos she think is going to be accomplished with this silly shit show?  If she went back to practicing the law, I would take her seriously; but in her current choice of occupation, NO.

• Love 6
(edited)

For the record, Rachel promotes PLENTY of social causes that have nothing to do with this franchise. She actively does a lot of charity work, promotes education causes, animal rights causes and racial equality that again have nothing to do with the franchise.

And while being an attorney is impressive, Rachel didn't quit to simply shill on Instagram. She has actively pursued a career in sports entertainment which is impressive too. Because unlike many in this franchise, she actually has multiple highly trained skills. 

But as is always the story with her, people zero in on one thing and use that to judge and pick her apart. You know I too wish she would leave this franchise behind, no matter how appreciative she may be to it. Because I said it before and I'll keep saying it. Rachel will never win with this franchise, period. She will always be picked apart and judged by some for everything she says and does and we all know the real reason why.

So it's like a complete and utter waste of time at this point. And personally speaking, as a woman of color following this franchise, it's exhausting for me watch an intelligent woman constantly be judged so much. And for the record, also as a woman of color, I paused when I saw the news about Matt being the Bachelor.

Because yes, the positive part of me wants to believe it's a sign of good things to come and see it as change. But sorry, not sorry, the cynical side of me thought, "performative wokeness" because the heat is on their asses because of what's going on right now in the social climate. So yeah, I wasn't exactly rushing to celebrate or cheer on the franchise for this decision. So I absolutely understand Rachel's wary response to it. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 12
32 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Because yes, the positive part of me wants to believe it's a sign of good things to come and see it as change. But sorry, not sorry, the cynical side of me thought, "performative wokeness" because the heat is on their asses because of what's going on right now in the social climate. So yeah, I wasn't exactly rushing to celebrate or cheer on the franchise for this decision. So I absolutely understand Rachel's wary response to it. 

I’m a fan of Rachel’s too, and agree that because she has strong opinions she’s judged. Your comment about her being judged because she’s a woman of color is interesting, as I’m still learning loads about how racial Bias shows up in ways I didn’t understand until recently.

My question for you is-even if they produced Matt due to pressure, can’t that just be a good thing? A step in the right direction? I’m having a hard time with Rachel’s ‘too little too late’ stance. She’s right, it’s been a long time coming, but it’s here now?! 

• Love 3
(edited)

Rachel married a man that could easily pass for a whole myriad of racial and ethnic backgrounds and inclusions.  I thought he was white until we met his Colombian mama.  But then, I don't care where they are from, I just want to understand what they say. 

Do people really care that much that she didn't pick a black man OR a white man?  Incomprehensible.   This franchise is honestly just a for-laughs TV option for me.  I can't fathom folks being so SERIOUS about it. 

image.png.861544c75a0628d4fd955ce1955e75d0.png

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 3
(edited)
44 minutes ago, leighdear said:

Do people really care that much that she didn't pick a black man OR a white man?  Incomprehensible.   This franchise is honestly just a for-laughs TV option for me.  I can't fathom folks being so SERIOUS about it. 

No, I don't think people do care.  I think most of us just watch this for entertainment and come here for the same.  But I guess if someone comes here with an agenda, they're going to find what they're looking for and interpret things in that light.

Edited by Recyclorette
  • Love 5
(edited)
57 minutes ago, BachBananas said:

Mike was exchanging flirty texts with Demi Lovato after his filming and I think they went on a date or two.  If I'm recalling correctly, this was around the time the new bachelor was being picked.  Thus, we got boring Peter and the entire Weber clan.

I think the decision for the next Bachelor had already made by the time Mike and Demi Lovato's texting was happening. Also, the giveaway that the producers were already set on Peter is that Mike himself said he'd had no discussions with the producers about even potentially being the next lead.

The producers always like to pretend they were seriously considering many people but often they already know who they're choosing. However, sometimes circumstances happen, e.g. when the response to Caila being the next Bachelorette was so negative, they switched last minute to JoJo. I believe the producers were dead set on Peter since mid-season of Hannah's season. 

The only thing that would have stopped the Peter train, was Tyler. And not only was Tyler not particularly interested, he then hooked up with Gigi Hadid during that period, solidifying he wasn't going to be the Bachelor. And so Peter Webber it was.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2
(edited)
23 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Regarding Matt, once he was announced for Clare’s season, I figured that unless he really effed up, he was a shoe in as the Bachelor.  Covid and the current discussions just sped up the announcement.   

I never thought Jojo and Jordan would last but they seem happy   

https://people.com/tv/jojo-fletcher-jordan-rodgers-celebrate-what-would-have-been-wedding-date/

I agree Matt was only cast on Clare's season (before Covid-19 and all the protests) to be the next Bachelor, but it's not something TPTB can quite openly state. He was Tyler's hot BFF with a social media following and a cool job before they were sure about which Bachelorette they'd cast. TPTB were actually planning to be diverse for a change, but the way it's unfolded makes it look like they entirely buckled to public pressure. Then, they announce a black Bachelor and get slammed for not simultaneously unveiling their ten-point diversity initiative as well. Of course, if they'd cast differently years ago, the show wouldn't be facing such negative PR over these issues now. Heh, sucks for them.

One bit of speculation I've seen about Mike Johnson being passed over this time is that picking him now would make it easier for fans/media to say Peter as Bachelor was a mistake. Considering that the show was just trying to sell him and Kelley as a win for the franchise less than a week ago, I think it will be a few years before TPTB are willing to say he was a bad lead--not a bad person, but not cut out for the top role.

I used to not really care about the franchise having black leads because honestly I think this show is an exceedingly bizarre way to find love, and it's not always flattering to its participants. Did I really need or want  "my people" to be a serious part of this hot mess? But other dating/marriage reality shows can be diverse, not just in terms of race but body types, age and even attractiveness, so why not The Bachelor shows, too? Maybe some diversity in front of and behind the camera would make the show less repetitive. It might help ratings, to have different ideas, and appeal to a broader audience. 

Edited by Dejana
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Dejana said:

I agree Matt was only cast on Clare's season (before Covid-19 and all the protests) to be the next Bachelor, but it's not something TPTB can quite openly state. He was Tyler's hot BFF with a social media following and a cool job before they were sure about which Bachelorette they'd cast. TPTB were actually planning to be diverse for a change, but the way it's unfolded makes it look like they entirely buckled to public pressure. Then, they announce a black Bachelor and get slammed for not simultaneously unveiling their ten-point diversity initiative as well. Of course, if they'd cast differently years ago, the show wouldn't be facing such negative PR over these issues now. Heh, sucks for them.

I think you're exactly right that Matt was always intended to be the next bachelor.  It wouldn't even surprise me if the issue with Clare was manufactured so that it wouldn't work between them and Matt would be free for the lead.  I'm happy he'll start fresh without any baggage.  I really thought Mike would get the next lead until he allowed himself to get pretty mired in all the house drama.  At that point, I feared they wouldn't pick him.  Matt won't have a history and that will be fun to watch.  His choice is definitely progress.  The path to this point has been long and certainly not perfect, but it's a step in the right direction.  I hope we just get to enjoy it as such.  If all the whining and analysis over the perceived manner of his choice continues, it's going to ruin it for him.  His season is a ways off yet and he could back out.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, BachBananas said:

Peter was announced on May 7.  I'm pretty sure the Mike/Demi thing went well beyond that.  There was even talk about a double date with Tyler and Gigi.  So no, the producers wouldn't have talked to either of those guys about being the next lead.  We'll never know for sure.

The producers talk to people they're interested in while the season is airing. Tyler himself stated that yes, he discussed the possibility of being the next lead while the season was airing. So that was before he ever went on a date with Gigi.

I believe they were down to the Final 5 or HTD by that point. He spent a week in L.A. during that period, which is likely when it happened. And he stated in his media interview that even then he was wary and unsure, particularly because of his dad's health issues.

So the same way they could have had those talks with Tyler, they could have with Mike. Which brings me back to the point that once Mike said he'd had no discussions with the producers about potentially being the lead, it was clear he was never a consideration. When they had those talks with Tyler, it's because he was already becoming the breakout from the season. So it made them consider another option.

However, I do believe their first choice was always Peter and that's likely from during filming of Hannah's season. It's common knowledge that even while filming is going on, the producers get a feel for and a sense of who will make a good lead, which often times also affects the particular edit the contestant gets. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3
(edited)
22 hours ago, Recyclorette said:

I think you're exactly right that Matt was always intended to be the next bachelor.  It wouldn't even surprise me if the issue with Clare was manufactured so that it wouldn't work between them and Matt would be free for the lead.  I'm happy he'll start fresh without any baggage.  I really thought Mike would get the next lead until he allowed himself to get pretty mired in all the house drama.  At that point, I feared they wouldn't pick him.  Matt won't have a history and that will be fun to watch.  His choice is definitely progress.  The path to this point has been long and certainly not perfect, but it's a step in the right direction.  I hope we just get to enjoy it as such.  If all the whining and analysis over the perceived manner of his choice continues, it's going to ruin it for him.  His season is a ways off yet and he could back out.

I don't know, I can see the whole Cameo drama happening organically as a generational clash. Clare started in the franchise before the contestants were mostly there to build up a brand. Matt had his own fanbase before even being on the show. If not for the Rona, they would've been filming and none of this would have happened. It seemed like the active Bachelor Nation-type fans sided with Matt over Clare. I was kind of looking forward to seeing them interact on her season. Would the conflict be addressed, or would TPTB want them to pretend it never happened? How well could they have faked "thinking about starting to fall in love" with each other? Guess we'll never know.

Edited by Dejana
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Stan39 said:

Clare needs to get over herself. It’s not all about her. She’s had plenty of chances on these shows and hasn’t always had the purest intentions. Matt doesn’t owe her anything and she should be happy he seized an opportunity that was better for him, rather than complain about him not being on her season  

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/tv/a32867917/clare-crawley-wasnt-told-matt-james-the-bachelor/

That is just click bait. It says nothing about Clare's response to Matt being named The Bachelor.
"but now it's downright awkward because reports say no one thought to tell Clare about Matt's casting before the announcement was officially made."

Edited by nutty1
  • Love 2
On 6/10/2020 at 11:11 AM, leighdear said:

When was Rachel asking for sympathy? Why can't she speak up about diversity? The fact that she has been the only black lead proves her point. The franchise DOES need more diversity. What's there to argue about?

And why is Rachel's socio economic background being brought up? Almost all of the leads come from upper middle class backgrounds. JoJo's family was extremely wealthy but it wasn't thrown in her face on message board.

I'm tired of reading racial microaggressions on this forum from people who are upset that a black educated woman who isn't from the projects participated on the show. Throwing in Andi so it doesn't look racist.  

• Love 16
13 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Man, they really are getting desperate for "stars". 

The show is usually on in September with rehearsals starting 4 to 6 weeks before that.  Likely a lot of people wouldn’t feel safe enough that soon.  

(edited)

The first season of DWTS had Trista as a contestant. The show is well past its peak and is likely to go with whoever will agree to do it. 

Rob Mills was on Ryan Seacrest's show and confirmed that Clare was told about Matt being named Bachelor before it was announced to the public. He also confirmed Clare’s season will film before Matt's:

So how will James and Clare’s seasons go down amid COVID-19 quarantine and filming restrictions?

“Here’s what were going to do: For Clare’s season, which is going to come first, that’s going to shoot in about a month,” Rob shared. “Everybody is going to be at one location. Everybody is going to be tested a week before; everybody comes back negative; we shoot; and they’re inside that bubble."

There's more stuff about the plans for the season at the link.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 3

Tensions are high but the rules here remain the same. Please remember to keep your comments to the leads and contestants. Refrain from assigning reasoning to your fellow poster's thoughts and/or accusing them of prejudices. 

• Love 4
20 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Have we discussed Hanna B's apology for the N word (not that first one). It sounds like she truly feels bad. 

Feels bad about what she did or the result.... not getting as much media coverany more.  

• Love 5

I heard on Ryan Seacrest's radio show that Clare and her men are sequestered in Palm Springs. They get tested every day for COVID, or at least temps taken every day. There is a stash of additional men being held at a different Palm Springs location so if one of the original Bachelors gets sick, a replacement will be pulled from this stash. According to the radio show, these additional guys don't know they are extras on hold. There was no mention of what would happen if Clare got sick!

• Useful 1
(edited)
On 7/15/2020 at 9:18 PM, saber5055 said:

There was no mention of what would happen if Clare got sick!

They quietly trot Tayshia out and everyone acts perfectly normal.

Edited by phlebas
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, phlebas said:
On 7/15/2020 at 9:18 PM, saber5055 said:

There was no mention of what would happen if Clare got sick!

They quietly trot Tayshia out and everyone acts perfectly normal.

Man, now you make me want to see a season where half way through they swap out the lead just to watch all the men try to act like they managed to fall in love with the new girl moments after being in love with the original.

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
On 7/17/2020 at 6:14 PM, Mabinogia said:

Man, now you make me want to see a season where half way through they swap out the lead just to watch all the men try to act like they managed to fall in love with the new girl moments after being in love with the original.

HOw awesome would that be? Especially if CH and everyone acted as if nothing was different

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
48 minutes ago, Scout Finch said:

There's suddenly no correct answer to "are you here for the right reasons?"

“I needed a place to stay during quarantine?”

• LOL 11
  • Love 1

I was also thinking about how if they suddenly switched bachelorettes and a guy trying to say that he was there for the right reason, he's there for HER. But then, boom, she's been replaced and he can no longer say that with any seriousness.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, Scout Finch said:

I was also thinking about how if they suddenly switched bachelorettes and a guy trying to say that he was there for the right reason, he's there for HER. But then, boom, she's been replaced and he can no longer say that with any seriousness.

Remember the season where Kaitlyn and Britt were cast for the premiere, with Britt being voted out at the end of the ep? One of the suitors came up to Kaitlyn and said he liked her, but really came on the show for Britt. Kaitlyn politely thanked him for his honesty, wished him well and walked him out. He and Britt ended up dating for awhile.

(edited)

Oh, that's right, I forgot they started dating! I didn't mind Kaitlyn at all but I liked Britt more. They also did a season that started with two Bachelors and I think the women voted. Bass fisherman Byron won--don't remember the second choice--and he was one of my favorite bachelors. If I recall, most of the women were more age appropriate this time. I thought he was very handsome, and there was a level of maturity that I'd hadn't seen before. He seemed so genuine and always looked like he was fully listening to a woman and taking in all of her. He was intently searching their face, looking them in the eyes, and reacting to their expressions with understanding. I don't recall it being so much his words but his physicality. Hard to explain but there was something about his manner that stood out and I've never forgotten about it. He chose Mary but things got messy in the five years they were together and she was arrested for hitting him at one point.

Bachelor-Season-6-Byron-Velvick-Mary-Delgado.jpg

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 2