Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Rhondinella

The Bachelorette in the Media

Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Not really on topic, but I adore Jillian.  I never watched her season, but I've been watching Love it or List it Vancouver since 2013. And the show is still going.  I've probably seen every expensive property in Vancouver by now.   I also watched her (four part?) reality show about her and her husband and her life.  It was cute.  I think her husband is 9 years younger than she is, they have two kids, and she seems very happy.  Also, I love her personal style.

Jillian was a great bachelorette.  As for the likes of Rachel, Ashley I. and Hannah B., they've had their 15 min. of fame.  I find them immensely annoying and wish they would just go away.  It seems that the "Bachelor Family" has become a cult driven by these types who are only interested in promoting each other.  Their suggestions for bachelorette are awful and the franchise in general is suffering because of all the recycling.

Edited by Recyclorette
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

It is sad about Tyler.  I don't remember his mom on the hometowns, but I just remember his dad's health being the issue.

 

1 hour ago, Recyclorette said:

Their suggestions for bachelorette are awful and the franchise in general is suffering because of all the recycling.

Where did that information come from, exactly?  After 38 cycles, their ratings are as high as they've ever been.   The whole franchise is a cash cow, and they just keep adding new shows that people will watch.  Because people DO watch.  They may complain, but they watch. 

The only watcher "fatigue" I've ever read about is from the folks who have watched every season, or almost every one, and just keep whinging on about wanting a new lead, being bored with the same people, tired of this person or that person.   They can opt out any season.  Really. 

Chris Harrison and Robert Mills have both said point blank that new leads are NOT on their agenda.  They want former contestants that know the process and have social media following, not new faces that don't know how the game is played.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, leighdear said:

The only watcher "fatigue" I've ever read about is from the folks who have watched every season, or almost every one, and just keep whinging on about wanting a new lead, being bored with the same people, tired of this person or that person.   They can opt out any season.  Really. 

I like the recycling mainly because it allows me to know which seasons not to bother with. lol If they pick a lead I don't like, I just follow along online (because I do find the show a fascinating trainwreck), but I don't have to commit hours of my life to someone I can't stand. 

I am just glad they aren't 100% stuck on taking someone from the most recent season. From everything I've been reading Madison or Kelley are the only ones I'd care to see for another season out of this crop and Peter's girls seem all so young that it's obvious they aren't looking to get married and are only "playing the game" which I don't find nearly as enjoyable to watch. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Aww man, poor Tyler. This is shocking because there was so much emphasis during his time on the show about his dad's health issues and he even mentioned that as being another reason he didn't want to be The Bachelor.

That he didn't want to leave for an extended period again with all what his dad was going through. I'm wondering if his mom had a heart attack or something. That's awful. 

So far there’s no information. All I saw was that she seemed ok at some point on Thursday because she posted a picture on social media and something must have happened later that day to cause Tyler to have to cancel his GMA appearance Friday morning so he could go be with her.  So sad for him and his brothers. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

So far there’s no information. All I saw was that she seemed ok at some point on Thursday because she posted a picture on social media and something must have happened later that day to cause Tyler to have to cancel his GMA appearance Friday morning so he could go be with her.  So sad for him and his brothers. 

I'm aware. The heart attack/stroke was an assumption on my part, particularly because it seems her death was so sudden. And most concluded that she passed away based on Instagram posts from some family friends. 

In any case, US Weekly has now confirmed it. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

Quote

Chris Harrison and Robert Mills have both said point blank that new leads are NOT on their agenda.  They want former contestants that know the process and have social media following, not new faces that don't know how the game is played.  

Well, this explains a lot.  Do you work for the franchise?

So where some of us who've been watching since the show's inception may have (naively) hoped that we might continue witnessing exciting and successful love stories (and we did see a few early on), now we begin a season already sick of the lead, the contestants are there just to promote their brand, and the show is now nothing but a "game."

Yes, we can "opt out" and be thrown under the bus for newer viewers, but they'll eventually become jaded, too.  It's not entertaining to think of beginning a show when you're already annoyed by the star.  And all the manufactured and encouraged drama wears really thin after awhile.  We can still see all the recycles on BIP, which works because the number of contestants dilutes the familiarity and boredom.  Enough already with all the inside Bachelor Family intrigue like Stagecoach.

I'll take the early days of the sisterhood of Tiffany heart bracelets, suspenseful entertainment, and the possibility of a true romance any day.  And from what I've heard and read, I have a lot of company. 



 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

I didn’t start watching until Chris Soules’ season (so it was a lot more non-organic than the early days). 
 

There is something like 56 million single women in the US. Why oh why do we have to select someone from the “bachelor nation” group? 

If they actually did that, then it might change the competition of the contestants as a gig being a lead is not sure thing. Not sure about the effects on influencers and followers since I am an old married woMn.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

I didn’t start watching until Chris Soules’ season (so it was a lot more non-organic than the early days). 
 

There is something like 56 million single women in the US. Why oh why do we have to select someone from the “bachelor nation” group? 

If they actually did that, then it might change the competition of the contestants as a gig being a lead is not sure thing. Not sure about the effects on influencers and followers since I am an old married woMn.

They do it because of what they perceive as a pre-built fandom. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Well since I barely watched Peter's awful season, I had no interest in any of the women on his season so good riddance. I actually know Clare, having watched Juan Pablo's messy ass season and her first season on BIP, so I'll definitely give the first two episodes a look-see. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Holy crap.... 

Well now that I see her age, I'm happy.  At least there's one element that's different for a change.... Victoria would have been torture and Hannah Ann seems like a kid, and we already had the virgin season with Colton, so this is something out of left field.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Does Clare have Mike Fleiss' Social Security number or ATM PIN?

She simply will not go away.  Codependency is one of her DNA nucleotides.  Mildly interesting especially on BIP but making her Bachelorette will a) eliminate the interesting part ie her emotional instability and b) reward her for same.  Every tick of that biological clock sounds like a sonic boom and looking at her franchise peers' Instagram feeds with pregnancies and babies isn't helping one bit.

They are going to be cracking the whip to get red-blooded males to pretend to be interested in this loaf of day-old bread or else they'll recruit a load of Sensitive New Age Guys (SNAGs) who, for reasons known only to them, want to take on her hair-trigger temper.

Edited by Rainsong
  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

I am happy about this choice! I have liked Claire since she told off Juan Pablo. I also think she’s absolutely stunning and could put any girl ten years younger to shame. 

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, thejuicer said:

I am happy about this choice! I have liked Claire since she told off Juan Pablo. I also think she’s absolutely stunning and could put any girl ten years younger to shame. 

Clare is stunning, for sure, but do we really need to see her for a FIFTH time?  I'm happy the lead is someone older, but I believe the powers that be are casting her because they know that her season will be another dramatic trainwreck.  Seems to be what they are going for these days.  And she only told Juan Pablo off AFTER he told her she wasn't his pick; she was willing to accept his proposal.  So pathetic.  There's a reason she's still single and I personally doubt that's going to change.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, Recyclorette said:

Clare is stunning, for sure, but do we really need to see her for a FIFTH time?  I'm happy the lead is someone older, but I believe the powers that be are casting her because they know that her season will be another dramatic trainwreck.  Seems to be what they are going for these days.  And she only told Juan Pablo off AFTER he told her she wasn't his pick; she was willing to accept his proposal.  So pathetic.  There's a reason she's still single and I personally doubt that's going to change.

It became pretty clear on Winter Games that she’s changed and is clearly more interested in fame than meeting someone (though that’s the same reason most go on the show so I can’t blame her). I blame the show for refusing to try something new. Best case scenario is they cast a bunch of 30-something and (gasp) maybe even 40-something men for the show, the next Bachelor is a little older and more mature, and the franchise as a whole gets a little older and more mature. But I’m not holding my breath. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

The choice of Clare is very surprising!  What she needs is a man who gets her, is crazy about her anyway, and knows how to handle her.  I'm talkin' Rhett Butler here.  Or John Wayne in the movie "The Quiet Man."

Benoit was a nice guy, but just as emotional as she.  It was destined to fail.

If Chris Harrison or someone doesn't pull her aside and give her a Dutch Uncle talking to, I'll look for the racoon to win.

 

Edited by Fake Britt · Reason: To add link.
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Fake Britt said:

The choice of Clare is very surprising!  What she needs is a man who gets her, is crazy about her anyway, and knows how to handle her.  I'm talkin' Rhett Butler here.  Or John Wayne in the movie "The Quiet Man."

Benoit was a nice guy, but just as emotional as she.  It was destined to fail.

If Chris Harrison or someone doesn't pull her aside and give her a Dutch Uncle talking to, I'll look for the racoon to win.

 

beniot was as full of drama as she is. that being said, I love Claire and I want them to bring back the racoon. my only question is, I have always looked to the bachelor/bachlorette as someone people would be willing to chase (I mean andrew firestone--amazing). I wonder with her history of drama and all, will men across america be into chasing her? is she considered a catch like Emily or Trista were?? Trust me Ive had those thought about many leads. but Im happy about it, and think it will be entertaining.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I think it will be refreshing to have a Bachelorette who is an actual adult.  It could get interesting if they'd bring back some failed or rejected men from Bachelor and Bachelorette seasons in the mix of men.  I have got to get my fantasy pairing of Claire and Brad out of my head!

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

Has any Bachelorette ever been a "fresh" lead? Even the first one was a rejected contestant. It seems baked into the franchise's DNA.

And I get why TPTB cast recycled contests as Bachelor. I watched the first few seasons but my interest waned when they got down to the "Italian prince" and the British guy who picked Lorenzo Lamas' daughter. TPTB are afraid to be stuck with a boring lead who has no prior ties: then what will keep the fans from bailing? The Bachelor Extended Universe approach probably helps with audience engagement, since they can't count on getting Firestones and pro athletes most seasons. Of course, people's ideas for what makes a good show differ and you can't please everyone.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Dejana said:

Has any Bachelorette ever been a "fresh" lead? Even the first one was a rejected contestant. It seems baked into the franchise's DNA.

And I get why TPTB cast recycled contests as Bachelor. I watched the first few seasons but my interest waned when they got down to the "Italian prince" and the British guy who picked Lorenzo Lamas' daughter. TPTB are afraid to be stuck with a boring lead who has no prior ties: then what will keep the fans from bailing? The Bachelor Extended Universe approach probably helps with audience engagement, since they can't count on getting Firestones and pro athletes most seasons. Of course, people's ideas for what makes a good show differ and you can't please everyone.

I always think that another network could just swoop in and make a dating reality show that fixed all the problems we have with the Bachelor and just kick ABC’s ass in the ratings. And yet, here were are all these years later and this is the only show that’s lasted. If anything, other dating shows are WORSE and created newer, dumber problems. I just don’t understand television 🤷‍♂️

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

15 hours ago, Dejana said:

Has any Bachelorette ever been a "fresh" lead? Even the first one was a rejected contestant. It seems baked into the franchise's DNA.

And I get why TPTB cast recycled contests as Bachelor. I watched the first few seasons but my interest waned when they got down to the "Italian prince" and the British guy who picked Lorenzo Lamas' daughter. TPTB are afraid to be stuck with a boring lead who has no prior ties: then what will keep the fans from bailing? The Bachelor Extended Universe approach probably helps with audience engagement, since they can't count on getting Firestones and pro athletes most seasons. Of course, people's ideas for what makes a good show differ and you can't please everyone.

You make some great points, Dejana.  When I think back to the guys you mention (and I'd include Jesse Palmer), the recycles don't seem so bad!  Maybe if the producers looked for genuine contestants, rather than fame whores, and stopped instigating drama, the show would be more enjoyable. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/2/2020 at 9:14 AM, Rainsong said:

Does Clare have Mike Fleiss' Social Security number or ATM PIN?

She simply will not go away.  Codependency is one of her DNA nucleotides.  Mildly interesting especially on BIP but making her Bachelorette will a) eliminate the interesting part ie her emotional instability and b) reward her for same.  Every tick of that biological clock sounds like a sonic boom and looking at her franchise peers' Instagram feeds with pregnancies and babies isn't helping one bit.

They are going to be cracking the whip to get red-blooded males to pretend to be interested in this loaf of day-old bread or else they'll recruit a load of Sensitive New Age Guys (SNAGs) who, for reasons known only to them, want to take on her hair-trigger temper.

Disagree. I’m glad they picked someone older, even if it’s nutty Clare. I think her season might be entertaining and a refreshing change. I’m in! 

Edited by Sweet-tea · Reason: EllenB said it first!
  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

Supposedly, they are talking to Hannah B. about the summer games edition. I can't see her being a contestant again competing against other women. Has a former lead ever done anything like that? If I were her, I'd want to co-host, judge, or be a ref (of some sort). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/1/2020 at 9:19 PM, Recyclorette said:

Well, this explains a lot.  Do you work for the franchise?

So where some of us who've been watching since the show's inception may have (naively) hoped that we might continue witnessing exciting and successful love stories (and we did see a few early on), now we begin a season already sick of the lead, the contestants are there just to promote their brand, and the show is now nothing but a "game."

Yes, we can "opt out" and be thrown under the bus for newer viewers, but they'll eventually become jaded, too.  It's not entertaining to think of beginning a show when you're already annoyed by the star.  And all the manufactured and encouraged drama wears really thin after awhile.  We can still see all the recycles on BIP, which works because the number of contestants dilutes the familiarity and boredom.  Enough already with all the inside Bachelor Family intrigue like Stagecoach.

I'll take the early days of the sisterhood of Tiffany heart bracelets, suspenseful entertainment, and the possibility of a true romance any day.  And from what I've heard and read, I have a lot of company. 



 

 

 

 

 

Don’t even worry about it. This forum is a spin-off of Television without Pity which was created strictly for snark. The day I stop bitching about this show is the day I stop breathing. 

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 9

Share this post


Link to post

On 3/2/2020 at 1:09 PM, Stan39 said:

It became pretty clear on Winter Games that she’s changed and is clearly more interested in fame than meeting someone (though that’s the same reason most go on the show so I can’t blame her). I blame the show for refusing to try something new. Best case scenario is they cast a bunch of 30-something and (gasp) maybe even 40-something men for the show, the next Bachelor is a little older and more mature, and the franchise as a whole gets a little older and more mature. But I’m not holding my breath. 

I just looked on People.com at the pictures of the guys vying for Claire and the majority are in their 20s with one or two in their 30's and one guy that's 42.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, tarheel220 said:

I just looked on People.com at the pictures of the guys vying for Claire and the majority are in their 20s with one or two in their 30's and one guy that's 42.

I read somewhere that Fleiss and co. were casting for 25-year-old Hannah Brown, but they couldn't meet Hannah's $$$ requirement and she opted out. 39-year-old (as of next week) Clare was a last-minute substitute. When she was announced, a number of the younger contestants didn't want to date someone old enough to be their mother and resigned from the show. The eight thirtysomethings (and one fortysomething) are the replacements for the guys who bailed.

Personally, methinks they should have recast everyone younger than 28 or 29. What will Clare have in common with a 23-year-old from a relationship standpoint?

Edited by Sir RaiderDuck OMS
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

I read somewhere that Fleiss and co. were casting for 25-year-old Hannah Brown, but they couldn't meet Hannah's $$$ requirement and she opted out. 39-year-old (as of next week) Clare was a last-minute substitute. When she was announced, a number of the younger contestants didn't want to date someone old enough to be their mother and resigned from the show. The eight thirtysomethings (and one fortysomething) are the replacements for the guys who bailed.

Personally, methinks they should have recast everyone younger than 28 or 29. What will Clare have in common with a 23-year-old from a relationship standpoint?

... and when you add that there will be no international travel... and maybe not even US travel with the whole show set in LA (per Chris Harrison), even less reason for the 20somethings to be there.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/2/2020 at 2:09 PM, Fake Britt said:

The choice of Clare is very surprising!  What she needs is a man who gets her, is crazy about her anyway, and knows how to handle her.  I'm talkin' Rhett Butler here.  Or John Wayne in the movie "The Quiet Man."

Benoit was a nice guy, but just as emotional as she.  It was destined to fail.

If Chris Harrison or someone doesn't pull her aside and give her a Dutch Uncle talking to, I'll look for the racoon to win.

 

Lol. Sorry Clare fire ants don’t bite, they sting. I’m always nursing a sting or 10 at any given time. 

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Yikes! I was selfishly hoping filming would proceed as scheduled so I'd have my supply of trashy TV while having to work from home "indefinitely".

Seriously! We're all going to be stuck at home with nothing to watch! 

This is the first season I've been looking forward to for a long time. Of course it's postponed. Sorry all. This is my fault. I'm not allowed to have nice things. 😞

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 7
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Yikes! I was selfishly hoping filming would proceed as scheduled so I'd have my supply of trashy TV while having to work from home "indefinitely".

Same here.

Hubby is working on what we can watch if we have to self-quarantine for a while (we both work from home anyway). He is really selective in what he watches and refuses to watch reality TV. If I wear him down, he might eventually understand my joy in watching the Bachelor franchise and the real housewives 😜

  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/12/2020 at 8:35 AM, tarheel220 said:

I just looked on People.com at the pictures of the guys vying for Claire and the majority are in their 20s with one or two in their 30's and one guy that's 42.

Even coming from someone who only tends to like men my age or younger, this feels like a big yikes.  My ideal would be the majority of guys to be in their 30s - 1 or 2 could be very late 20s and even that's pushing it.  (And sure, a couple in their early 40s). If I was Clare I'd be pissed.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Chris Harrison addresses The Bachelorette postponement. Jeez, he’s aged in the past few days. Maybe it was the stress of Barb!
 

 

Edited by nutty1
  • Surprise 3

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Even coming from someone who only tends to like men my age or younger, this feels like a big yikes.  My ideal would be the majority of guys to be in their 30s - 1 or 2 could be very late 20s and even that's pushing it.  (And sure, a couple in their early 40s). If I was Clare I'd be pissed.

Me too. I’m hoping now that filming is postponed perhaps they can find some men over 35. 

I think Chris just looks older without the magical Bachelor lighting and makeup. I saw him on an interview two days ago and he looked much better. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

12 hours ago, Sweet-tea said:

Me too. I’m hoping now that filming is postponed perhaps they can find some men over 35. 

I think Chris just looks older without the magical Bachelor lighting and makeup. I saw him on an interview two days ago and he looked much better. 

Agree about Chris, wow!  He should either be the first senior Bachelor, or he should at least apologize for his early nights and tapioca comments.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

So is Tyler C seeing Hannah Brown again? Goodness, don't go there Tyler! Maybe it's just my taste but she's one of the least attractive people in this franchise. It's that personality!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/12/2020 at 10:15 AM, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

I read somewhere that Fleiss and co. were casting for 25-year-old Hannah Brown, but they couldn't meet Hannah's $$$ requirement and she opted out. 39-year-old (as of next week) Clare was a last-minute substitute. When she was announced, a number of the younger contestants didn't want to date someone old enough to be their mother and resigned from the show. The eight thirtysomethings (and one fortysomething) are the replacements for the guys who bailed.

Personally, methinks they should have recast everyone younger than 28 or 29. What will Clare have in common with a 23-year-old from a relationship standpoint?

I actually like the idea of a bunch of 20-somethings (though I do wish there were more 30 and 40 somethings). I think it will be a good test. Men always get grief on these shows for going for young, pretty girls with no depth (understandable. Arie and Lauren anyone?). I’ll be interested to see if Clare goes for somebody ready to settle down, but maybe isn’t as flashy or exciting or good looking, or will she pick the hot, young guys who probably just want to party?

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Stan39 said:

I actually like the idea of a bunch of 20-somethings (though I do wish there were more 30 and 40 somethings). I think it will be a good test. Men always get grief on these shows for going for young, pretty girls with no depth (understandable. Arie and Lauren anyone?). I’ll be interested to see if Clare goes for somebody ready to settle down, but maybe isn’t as flashy or exciting or good looking, or will she pick the hot, young guys who probably just want to party?

well, they should have talked to her about her goal.

if she really does want to find someone to settle down with, then this lineup of men is probably a waste of her time

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I saw a story on YouTube yesterday that they are recasting since they have more time before Clare’s season. They are looking for older bachelors. Apparently producers got flack from people over social media about how young most of the contestants are for their 38 year-old Bachelorette, such as what is the point of casting someone older? Clare also tweeted out something herself supporting them continuing to cast. 

The reporter wasn’t sure whether they’re going to toss the original cast in total or just swap out some for some older men. Either way I think it’s good news!

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

There is also the issue of

* who would still be available after months of delay

* who is still interested.     I like Clare, but I'm sure most of the young ones signed hoping for Hannah Ann or Madison or ever Victoria. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/23/2020 at 10:31 AM, DEL901 said:

There is also the issue of

* who would still be available after months of delay

* who is still interested.     I like Clare, but I'm sure most of the young ones signed hoping for Hannah Ann or Madison or ever Victoria. 

Yes it’s a tough time for casting due to what’s going on with the virus. But maybe they will be available to find some older men who are at a different stage of their life, more settled into their careers and not as interested in being media stars. I hope so. 

If not, I wouldn’t be surprised if they ditched Clare and went with Hannah B. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Hannah's all snuggled up down in South Florida with Tyler, according to the tabs & social media.  I don't think she's looking for anybody else right now, or too concerned about going back on the show.   

  • Like 1
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size