Type keyword(s) to search

The Merchandise Thread

Lantern7
  • Start Topic

Sorry I couldn't come up with a better title. Basically, I figure we all collect Doctor Who bric-a-brac, so this would be the place to post about it.

Take me, for instance. I have an unhealthy fixation on Titan vinyl figures in blind boxes. I wound up buying five of those at Fan Expo Canada last month, winding up with two Fours (with different-colored hats), an Eleven (post-regeneration, I think), a K-9 (which I used as reference to get this sketch done), and a post-regeneration Ten (in PJs, with sword). I paid $10-15 for each of them . . . and I found out that Titan will be having a presence at New York Comic Con, and they'll be featuring post-regenerated Doctors in their next wave. The sad thing is that I'm probably going to get at least three of those. I especially like Six in Five's outfit, which includes the damaged coat from "The Caves of Androzani."

What do you you have in your closet? Sonic screwdrivers? Action figures? An Adipose stress doll?

As I predicted, I wound up getting three of the Regeneration figures at NYCC last week. Two of them were the same . . . Twelve in what I think is the tramp's jacket. The other was Four in Three's outfit. Both had Sonic Screwdrivers. I cannot be the only person that collects the stuff.

• Love 1

Aside from the DVDs (BBC, I promise once the prices for the original series stop being so ridiculous I will replace some of my less-than-official versions obtained through sources), I have an Adipose doll (because J'ADORABLE), and a TARDIS onesie.

(...Yes, boys, it's bigger on the inside.)

• Love 2

I mostly just collect the DVDs - I have a huge number of them, not quite the entire (available) classic series but getting there. The DVDs don't have to cost the earth - I've picked up the majority in sales or second-hand (ETA: very slowly, over a period of time, and still ongoing) - and the amount of work that's gone into the restoration of each one is remarkable, well worth the money, even without all the extras that are also included.

I do also have a TARDIS teapot, a handful of Target novelisations, and a bunch of magazines and other books associated with the show.

Edited by Llywela

I'm a New Who-vian so my acquisitions are recent. In addition to the DVDs starting from Nine, I have Ten's sonic, a TARDIS mug (impossible to drink out of), a 1 3/4" mini of Ten that my friend painted for me, a TARDIS blanket, and a ridiculous array of t-shirts. I also have (and I'm not sure how/where I received it) a fake tattoo sleeve thing that I have never worn but does entertain me just looking at it.

• Love 1

I forgot that I wound another Titan figure last week at a discount. Turned out to be an Ice Warrior. Even in its chibi size, I figure it'll make good sketch reference, especially since the old-school Ice Warriors had the same sort of Fisher-Price hands.

Lots of t shirts. Got one that just says Doctor Who, got one that has the TARDIS and says 'You never forget your first Doctor.' Got one where the outline of the TARDIS is made up of quotes, mostly 11s. Oh, and one with the Weeping Angels on it that says 'The Angels Have the Phone Box.'

I also have a keychain blue Dalek I hang on my bag. Squish him and he alternates between saying 'EXTERMINATE!' and 'You.Would. Make. A good-DAAAALEK'

I call him Bob.

Edited by 1TrackMind
  • Love 1

An Adipose stress doll?

I had one that I got at SD ComiCon in 2012 but it, sadly, sprang a leak and I had to toss it.  I do want to get another some day.  Last year, in the frenzy of the 50th anniversary I got the 10" version of 11 and have yet to break him out of his box.  I keep eyeballing the collection of all the 3 ¾" doctors but keep putting it off.

I'm still addicted to blind item stuff. Both comic shops I visit now have the Titan Regeneration figures. Tonight, I got one at 35 percent off and with a $5 coupon. I wound up getting River Song . . . with a banana that she can hold. I'm stumped . . . what links River and bananas? I've forgotten.

Oh, yeah! What an odd thing for her to hold (as a figure). A small, blue book would make more sense:)

It would. Or a blaster, since she loves her guns so much. The banana refers to a tiny part of a single scene, rather than to the character as a whole! Very odd choice.

Like I said, this is from the Regenerations set, where most of the Doctors are showed in what they regenerated in. Maybe a new edition could have River in one of her trademark outfits, along with a book or Screwdriver.

Before I posted in here, I e-mailed Titan about it. I got an answer . . . and yes, it's from "Let's Kill Hitler."

• Love 1

I went to New York Comic Con last week. Turns out Titan has a new bunch of blind box Doctor Who figures, titled "Rebel Time Lord Collection." You can get characters from last season in addition to the heavy hitters. I wound up with a standard Twelve, Twelve in his "Caretaker" outfit, and "Rusty the Dalek." I got 'em for $10 apiece . . . .not a bad deal.

ETA: Here's what to look for.

• Love 1

Just finished listening to the audio version of Time Lord Fairytales and it was a lot of fun :)  Some are better than others but overall it was very enjoyable.  Various doctors pops up in some of the stories and some do not have him but usually feature a monster we have seen.  And the narrators were great- different person for each story including Tom Baker, Michelle Gomez, Nicholas Briggs, the actress who played Elizabeth I in Day of the Doctor, Ace, Danny Pink and others.  Highly recommend if you have to take a long car ride.

and it's an international pop-culture phenomenon to boot.

Just finished reading the previously.tv take on the last episode, looked up in time to see the new Legos* commercial.  Gandalf in the Batmobile and 12 bursting out from the Tardis.

Fits the quote from the review just right.  If I can find a link to the ad I will link it here.

In trying to find the commercial, I found this LEGO Dimensions Doctor Who SDCC trailer  and then this LEGO Dimensions - all cut scenes.

I lost an hour watching the last one, "just like a movie" :0)  The bits with in the Doctor Who-verse were better than anything I've seen these past two seasons.  And as my daughter said "the baby (shrunken) Daleks are soooo cute!"  :0)

Edited by elle
I also have a keychain blue Dalek I hang on my bag. Squish him and he alternates between saying 'EXTERMINATE!' and 'You.Would. Make. A good-DAAAALEK'

I call him Bob.

I've got Dalek Bob's big brother next to the bed.  I'm not sure what I need to name him, but the cat loves to curl up with him.  Every once in a while, the cat hits him just right and I hear, "You would make a good daaaalek." come from the foot of my bed.  The cat meows.  I give both of them the side eye and try to go back to sleep.  Yeah, it's never ending fun times in my house.

• Love 1

Bumping up because I got my copy of Doctor Who Magzine #500. I would've had it sooner, but the shop I get the issues from had problems, and I wound up hitting a Barnes & Noble. It's a package with two issues, stickers, and a double-sided poster. I think there are alternate covers, if the poster is to be believed. I wound up with the first issue homage. There's also a link for free chapters from audio adventures. I might download them, even though I never got into Big Finish. Oh, and #501 is going to be mostly about Tom Baker.

Went to Hot Topic to see if I could get a blind box. Wound up getting this: "The 11th Doctor Good Man Collection." I think this covers Matt Smith's final two  seasons. I like the picture of Amy with the hashmarks on her hands. I wound up with Dorium, who probably wouldn't have been thrown in at 2/20 quantities if he wasn't so damn blue. Also, if you get a box at Hot Topic, you'll have a 1/20 chance of getting Rory in nurse scrubs.

Does anybody have word about new items? I checked the website, and there wasn't anything listed for blind boxes. I'll be going to New York Comic Con next month, so I'm sure Titan will have something to offer.

Poked through Diamond's list of stuff coming out next week. I'm going to have a new addiction . . . Titan is putting out "Hell Bent/Heaven Sent" vinyl figures. Doesn't quite make up for the absence of the show in 2016, but you can hunt down the Doctor, Clara, Missy, River Song, Davros, Colony Sarff, Osgood, Santa Claus, Fisher King. and Ashildr. Also, the TARDIS after "Face The Raven." And there are chase figures, but I'm not interested in those. Yet.

Epilogue from the above post: I wound up with two Osgoods, a Santa, and a variant Osgood.

I looked up Titan's site to see if new figures are coming, and they will be in November: the "Partners In Time" line. It doesn't cover the latest season . . . more of a grab bag without a real theme, though that won't prevent me from seeking them out. The lineup: Donna, Ten (possessed by energy from "42"), Martha, Nardole, Twelve, Bill, Four, Sarah Jane (downside: she's in her "Hand of Fear" outfit), TARDIS Console, Eleven (wrapped in a towel; from "The Lodger"?), Craig (because James Corden is big nowadays?) and the Face of Boe (still insisting that isn't Jack, but one of his evolved gonads). No idea what the chase figures are.

The figures came out two weeks ago, with a suggested retail price of $9.99. So, of course, after hitting a bunch of places, I got two at Hot Topic for $11.90 each. Plus tax. Here's what I wound up with: a "chase" Twelve and the Face of Boe. Helpful hint: if you hold the box and it feels heavier than usual (maybe a few ounces), you'll probably be getting FoB, or ether of the TARDIS consoles. The picture doesn't show the trends and the equipment on the back of the figure. I got a sketch of teeny FoB with Cassandra in 2011, and I figure that the figure would make excellent reference material for an artist for something a little bigger.

14 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Not sure if this counts as media, but I thought it fit here. There is a store at a nearby mall that always has Doctor Who items.... everything from t-shirts to TARDIS dresses to socks to toys. I even have a TARDIS charm necklace from a few years back that DH got me for Christmas. The last few years there have been less and less items. Yesterday I went in there to look around and did not see one Doctor Who themed item. Kind of sad. 

9 hours ago, elle said:

If it does not fit here, hopefully the mods can tell us where we should discuss this.

One of my teen's favorite mall stores, with the initials of H. T., always has Doctor Who items available.  I almost commented back in October that Jodie's overcoat and rainbow-t were front and center in the front of the store if anyone was interested in a costume.  I have not been there lately, I imagine that the latest movie stuff is out front now but I know I can find DW items one rack back.

8 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

That was the store in question. Maybe they did have things before, but they always have tons of Doctor Who stuff ready for the holiday. I still have my shooting Dalek mug I got as a freebie a few years back. Every year, its the place I make  the last stop to find something cute and surprising for a gift. DH still wears his TARDIS PJ pants! 

5 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

@libgirl2 & @elle . . . maybe the Merchandise thread? That's where I post about items and occasionally bitch that I can't find the latest line of blind box figures. I've wound up going to Hot Topic. HOT TOPIC.

Thank you, @Lantern7!

If you select multi quote, it will follow you to a new thread - cool!

Yes, Hot Topic :0)  Not my favorite place, the music often gets too loud for me but it is the go to place for Doctor Who items.  I am surprised @libgirl2 that you could not find anything.  Were they overrun with Aquaman stuff?  I'm sure we will make a visit to a mall in the next week or so and I will be checking their displays and will report back.

@libgirl2, we did go into that store over the holidays and they did have DW merchandise but it was way in the back.  Well not the back of the store, but we were almost to the register and it was only one side of a display.  I imagine it will stay small over the next year.

https://twitter.com/iamryanaplin/status/1083705385356324864?s=20

Per a tweet, here are the commentaries on the Series 11 DVD/Blu ray set (not sure if only one or the other or both and not sure if true outside of U.K.)

S11 Commentaries:

TWWFTE - Jodie and Jamie Childs (dir.)

Rosa - Malorie Blackman (co-wri.), Mandip & Alex Mercer (prod.)

Tsuranga - Mandip, Ben Bailey-Smith (Durkas), Susan Packer (Eve), Nikki Wilson (prod.)

Demons - Mandip, Alex Mercer, Shane Zaza (Prem) & Vinay Patel (wri.)

I'm moving house sometime this year, so I'm going through my books and clearing out the duds. Today I hit upon a DW book I have no memory of buying or reading. The Eyeless, by Lance Parkin. It's not bad. Tenth Doctor, no 'official' companion. However, the main antagonist also serves as a companion, at least some of the time. Also, weird choice to have a 13 year old girl as an antagonist.

Interesting premise, well executed. Parkin is one of the better novel writers, IMO. And it's nice to have a book I can read in one afternoon. Barely 200 pages in an easy writing style. But do I want to haul it to another place? I'm not so sure. Anyone else read it? Keep or dump?

So there's going to be a DW set in Magic: the Gathering, releasing sometime next year. Is it just me, or is that Tom Baker art off a bit? Anyway, this I have to say it's a better fit than the EVE Online crossover. God knows what both parties were thinking there.

There was a DW CCG back a bunch of years, as I remember. Probably part of the first or second wave after Magic hit it big, and many many properties got turned into CCGs. No idea if it was any good. Anyone ever try it?

Oh, and I think I got rid of that book. Not bad, but I was trying to purge as much as I could at the time.

This could also go in the media thread, but it's about things that were once for sale. Nowdays, who knows?

There's someone playing through all the Fighting Fantasy books from the 80s. Between main episodes, he's branched out into doing other related books. In this case, a pair of DW ones. First, a Tenth Doctor story, The Horror of Howling Hill. He reads it well, but the story itself isn't so great. Just some sloppy writing and editing, and a Doctor fanboy pops up in there. Great. Also, Cro-Magnons have been reclassified into early HS, rather than a transitional form. Yes, I'm critiquing science in Dr Who. I realise how futile that is, but I do it anyway.

Also, a sixth Doctor story, The Search for the Doctor. I didn't finish this one, because it was written in second-person past tense. You did this, you did that. These are usually written in second-person present. You do this, you do that. The difference was somehow really jarring. Anyway, enjoy if you so desire.