Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E10: Muse On The Street

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

Char- ever been to a rock concert? Seen people wearing red onesies there? Bizarre. Don't agree wig Nina precisely but gen again I can't think of too many grown women who want to roam around in red rompers.

Yeah, I think she was mistaking "the club" for "the bar," where her husband likely played.  Now, a sexy top with jeans, or a scandalously short skirt?  Hell yeah for the girlfriend of the band.  But not a onesie.  LOL

• Love 4

I couldn't understand why they didn't just put five or six safety pins down the zipper line on Char's shorts -- that way, the model would not be exposed, but it would be crystal clear to the judges that something went awry.  Is that just the mom/teacher in me to want to fix an oops with a safety pin?  

• Love 6

I probably would have liked Korina's jacket more had I not watched the last All-Stars season with Elena and her jackets.  Maybe if I did a side-by-side comparison they wouldn't be remotely the same, but when I saw the one last night all I could think was that it's been done already.  A lot.  

I hope they throw in another gown-centric challenge.  Korina was all whiny and mope-y during those ones, complaining about how it wasn't her aesthetic.  Maybe, as she drones on about others and their shortcomings, she needs a reminder of her own.  Or at least I as the viewer would appreciate that.  She reminds me of Helen.  Not necessarily a bad person, just...a bit too much pride, with a whiff of entitlement every now and then.  

I thought the women in the park weren't plants, except for the last one, when Sean was running out of time.  He lost me on that, though, when he seemed to be looking for a tall model instead of just grabbing someone.  

That's all I got from this episode.  Well, that and reinforcement of the feeling that maybe Tim should be retired or shifted into another role.  Alexander's first look wasn't even the most hideous thing I've seen this season, and I can't help but wonder if the judges would actually have liked it.  Tim doesn't seem to be in sync with them.

• Love 1

Amanda continues to design like a student with above average talent in a high school home economics class.  The dress this week was just plain awful. I think she would be well suited to designing for a home sewing pattern company.  A lot of her stuff already  looks straight from one of those paper envelopes. 

Considering Amanda has commented on the movement in some of her past creations, I'm surprised that aspect didn't seem to come into play at all this week.  The dress was bad on the form, but it looked absolutely terrible when the model was walking toward the camera.  It seemed to be a really poor choice of fabric.

Edited by ichbin
  • Love 7

Transformation and muse would seem to be at odds with one another. Did producers think this through?

Char- ever been to a rock concert? Seen people wearing red onesies there? Bizarre. Don't agree wig Nina precisely but gen again I can't think of too many grown women who want to roam around in red rompers.

Wearing a onesie to a rock concert almost guarantees you'll be standing in a pool of your own urine by the end of the night.  Wait in a 100+ person line for the restrooms then try to get out of that outfit in time.  Fail.  I don't think Char left enough room in the shorts for Depend and SAM might not be sufficient.  

The answer to the question, "Did producers think this through?"  Regardless of the statement before that question, this season the answer always seems to be "no, they did not."  Try it.  Muse and makeover - no.  Actresses with no fashion sense/cred as judges - no. All one-day challenges in the early part of the season leading to burn out - no.  Tim still holding the good will of the viewers - no.  Amanda as someone we really wanted to see more of - no.  Other than more shots of Swatch, it's a lot of no.  

• Love 11

The answer to the question, "Did producers think this through?"  Regardless of the statement before that question, this season the answer always seems to be "no, they did not."  Try it.  Muse and makeover - no.  Actresses with no fashion sense/cred as judges - no. All one-day challenges in the early part of the season leading to burn out - no.  Tim still holding the good will of the viewers - no.  Amanda as someone we really wanted to see more of - no.  Other than more shots of Swatch, it's a lot of no.  

Don't forget the television-rainway combo!

• Love 2

I am not necessarily a fan of Amanda's but I like her. I think most of what comes across as smug from her is actually sarcasm and that she probably is far more self deprecating when the cameras aren't on .

She is the one to stop the bitch fest back stage even though Char was less than nice a few weeks ago. She is NOT good under pressure....I would like to have seen more of what she can do without the one day time restraints in order to actually see if there is something there. Actually, that would be true of everyone.

But I think this may be it for me and PR. lackluster season and uneven challenges. I may give the kids version a try though.... Unless it turns into too much whining.

• Love 7

I thought Kini's look was tacky as hell - like something Jessica Simpson would have worn 10 years ago. No way would his muse ever wear either piece and never together. I am also not a fan of that silhouette for her body type - it makes the waist look small at the expense of everything else. Something figure skimming for someone hourglass-y is so much more flattering. Like make a v-neck top, somewhat defined waist but a straight skirt. Instantly she would look less Dress Barn and thinner and taller. Her proportions are already good. She could also handle bright colors and that drab denim made her look less. I feel like Kini is kind of fuddy duddy.

Korina and Emily were the only ones who made something anywhere near the tastes of the clients to my eye. It was like a bunch of downgrades. Even Sean's looked like something from the mall. These women pass by real women dressed to the 10s everyday. That area is stylish.

I agree that the women were Manhattan real. It's one of the few places in America you can feel large at a size 4-6. And if you were bigger or older or anything that could be potentially problematic you would be more likely to say no. It was on the spot. The ambush made it so the muses were from a pretty narrow range. I noticed the male designers offered makeovers and the female designers offered custom dresses ;). No wonder the women seemed to find clients more quickly.

Edited by Funzlerks
  • Love 3

So, unless my eyes deceive me, no one bothered to find anyone over a size 8 and only a few of them found models over the age of 30. Of course, this is NY and they're right by NYU but still, if they'd wanted to stretch, it could have been done. That said, I don't think they did a terrible job. Emily's dress was origami flamenco but with slightly better styling and as part of a collection I think it would have looked very fashionable. Kini's look was simple but cute and I once again appreciated having Zac there to appreciate the details. Korina's look was clearly the best, though. She's like a version of Melissa Fleis who actually makes nice, wearable jackets as opposed to misshapen lumps of leather.

Speaking of misshapen lumps... they finally sent Alexander home! (That was a knock against his designs, not his personal appearance.) Sandhya last week, Alexander this week. The clothes might not be thrilling but at least they're trying to make me happy again.

• Love 2

I do not watch this show, except here and there with my sister-in-law's mom.  The reaction here was so strong to just about everything that I had to watch it for myself.

omg

Wtf was that peplum doing anywhere near that mostly-cute romper/ top & short set? The jacket could've been okay if not for that literally fashion-forward peplum (from Hell!). When your designer shows up in a baggy, "distressed", jersey diaper-skirt ( or was it genie pants gone horribly awry?), you need to effing speak up! You are going on national tv. Be polite, but speak up. (Okay, the unfortunate bottom half did not show up until runway day. But...peplum!) The shorts just didn't look right because of either too much material  or a bad fit or both, as others have noted.

Alexander may be a sweetheart in person, but lord mercy, ITA that it was not something that should've been allowed out. It needed a better fit and different material, but it was at least potentially salvageable. Plus his muse seemed to enjoy it. 

I appreciated Kini's outfit so freaking much! His muse had curves and he accentuated them and her make-over was cool, not that she needed much of one. If Kini's been crankin' out stuff like that- cute, fun, and flattering- then I want to buy what he's selling. The slightly chunky jewelry and the delicate, tiny bits of lace were great as accents. Too bad it seemed really dark around the runway because the darker colored vest seemed too dark and I couldn't see any details, even when the judges looked closer.

Emily's outfit scared me at first, when it looked like a red and black coffee filter. Yet, I loved it on the model and the runway. Her muse was the coolest too. I was a little sad we didn't see what the dress, minus the ruffle, looked like. Still, it was fun and I appreciated Mr. Posen saying not every piece has to be safe. ITA that either Kini or Emily should have won. (see: Designer Vote.)

Korina's outfit and model should not have been seriously in the running for winning this week. The makeover did nothing dramatic for the woman (except maybe a new haircut.) The outfit was so blah because meh had no time for it. Also, apparently motorcycle jackets are her peplum, so stfu, Korina. (Especially when the woman talks about "not having to think" because...motojacket! *sigh*)

The gray dress with the black and pink Vs was not horrid, but it definitely did not need the sleeveless leathery jacket/duster wanna-be. IA with whoever said that the ankle boot and the short skirt on this was not flattering to the lady. It wasn't. Maybe an empire waist could have saved it? ::shrugs because she really doesn't know::  I can't remember Sean's muse and outfit, but I remember his accent. Glad he got another week.

There was so much stupid about Char and The "Broken" Zipper. Heidi should have let the muses be dismissed because they did not need to be there for Tim to relay the stupid story. Unless the judges are unimaginative and need to see a body to go with an outfit they saw just one minute earlier. I did like that Tim didn't talk about the zipper until after the runway, but it was still made A Thing, when it didn't need to be one. Whatever. IA that it was not cool that Shar/Char blamed her non-pro muse. Way to be professional.

What is up with all the ankle boots? I saw some pumps and other "funky" types of shoes, but it seemed that ankle boots were the majority go-to for this challenge.

The preview for next week may have me looking for that episode. I want to see who Kini is paired with and how the hell anything decent is made from those patio furniture cushions ( or very 70s kitchen chairs.)

PS: what is with the super dark lips? It makes the person look older, plus they were ugly colors.

Edited by Actionmage
I always feel sorry for the women/muses in these real women challenges. They're so excited to play model for the day and score some designer duds custom made for them...and then their designers hand them an ugly, unflattering, steaming pile of poo that they have to model for the world to see, and then listen to the judges tear it, and them, down. They say don't take it personally, but I imagine most of them do anyway. At least they all seemed to get a good hair and makeup makeover.

Agreed. Although I did think that the judges tried to be more cognizant of that this time when offering their critique and with their little pre-judging "it's not you, it's them" disclaimer. The constant "but your hair and make-up look great!" compliments felt a wee bit forced, but I'm still glad they did that.

• Love 1

If the Emmys had an equivalent to the Razzies (the Oscars parody that gives awards to the worst movies and performances), then Heidi and the judges should get an Emmy-Razzy for their ridiculously bad acting when they were pretending they didn't know exactly why there was a ten minute delay.  Yeah, sure thing, Heidi.  Oh, wherever could they be? 

Oh, and also an Emmy-Razzy for pretty much every word out of their mouths about Amanda's work this season.  Even tonight when it was so bad that there was absolutely no way they could even slip her into the "safe" middle without being so obvious it'd trigger a "Quiz Show" style scandal, most of them still underplayed its wretchedness.  But, but, but... she does have nice hair and make-up!  Yes, judges, please kindly STFU.

• Love 7

Amanda continues to design like a student with above average talent in a high school home economics class.  The dress this week was just plain awful. I think she would be well suited to designing for a home sewing pattern company.  A lot of her stuff already  looks straight from one of those paper envelopes. 

Considering Amanda has commented on the movement in some of her past creations, I'm surprised that aspect seem to come into play at all this week.  The dress was bad on the form, but it looked absolutely terrible when the model was walking toward the camera.  It seemed to be a really poor choice of fabric.

Yes exactly! She's sending Simplicity patterns down the runway. She could at least upgrade to Vogue. LOL

Did anyone else think Emily's design looked like a turkey costume. Although it was the only interesting thing on the runway; to me it looked like a turkey costume, perfect for fall. 

Edited by cafe au lait

Lol so true a new dress or runway sounds good a makeover sounds bad. I used to work around there when I was a size zero, shopped at fave store Purdy girl etc. Lot of chic students and artists. But it still would have been a greater aesthetic challenge if honeyed picked older women, boys, etc. That's what gets me, these designers don't seem to have any joy and fun in hugh alleging themselves, they seem focused ONLY on survival in the least challenging way possible. It does not inspire.

Also noticed no women of color. Feh.

• Love 5

I forgot to mention what really annoyed me about zippergate was the way Char tried to deflect the entire blame onto her model. I mean, what the hell happened between the fitting and the actual pre-runway that the shorts got so tight the zipper gave way????

And then she said to the model who was kind enough to let her make a garment for her, by the way, "you bust the zipper." NIce grammar, too.

Me too! I haven't had any strong feelings about Char either way up to now, but I couldn't believe she was that rude about it to her real-world model. It wasn't just the initial knee-jerk 'not thinking' response (Oh no! You busted the zipper!), she continued to blame the model after that first comment that could have been chalked up to a slip of the tongue. I was ready to see her aufed for that alone.

But the real mystery to me is why no one just spoke up and suggested that they ALL get 10 extra minutes. They didn't have to choose between being silent or being the bad guy. There was a 3rd option and no one bothered to explore it.

In other news, I have liked Sean up til now. But when he blew off the person who was willing to model for him, I immediately disliked him for real. What a jerk. And then he had trouble finding someone (and they made sure to show us that) Bravo Kini for choosing a "full figured" woman!

Emily's dress wouldn't have looked nearly as cha-cha in a color like midnight blue or that blue-green in Alexander's plaid, or even a more crimson red or plum. The combination of the color and the ruffles was too much, I think.

• Love 1

Yeah that was ridiculous with Char. It seemed like she was trying to make it seem to Tim like her model just rudely tore off the zipper or something. Give me a break, Char. I know sometimes zippers break, but if your zipper was so poorly attached that it couldn't handle being zipped up once without entirely falling off, that is pitiful. Don't act like the model was tearing your shit apart. I understand that it would have been uncomfortable for that woman to go down the runway with her butt hanging out, but they should have covered her up in some other way, other than "Tim Gunn Save 2.0." Blugh, that thing was hoochie looking anyway. 

But the real mystery to me is why no one just spoke up and suggested that they ALL get 10 extra minutes. 

That would have been a way better solution!

• Love 1

Although Kini's was one of the better efforts last night his reminded me of something Blair would wear on the Facts of Life which I think was a 70's-80's sitcom? He did manage to make his model look at least 20 lbs thinner.

Yes!  Kini did manage to flatter his model's figure, which kind of shocked me considering what his outfit looked like before the runway.  I thought it was a yard of lace and an applique short of the fashions Shell Keppler (she used to play Amy Vining on General Hospital) used to hawk on one of the home shopping networks years ago. 

Yeah that was ridiculous with Char. It seemed like she was trying to make it seem to Tim like her model just rudely tore off the zipper or something. Give me a break, Char. I know sometimes zippers break, but if your zipper was so poorly attached that it couldn't handle being zipped up once without entirely falling off, that is pitiful. Don't act like the model was tearing your shit apart. I understand that it would have been uncomfortable for that woman to go down the runway with her butt hanging out, but they should have covered her up in some other way, other than "Tim Gunn Save 2.0." Blugh, that thing was hoochie looking anyway. 

That would have been a way better solution!

It wasn't a matter of fit or the zipper not being able to be zipped. The model zipped the zipper pull off. Zippers that have been cut to fit have no stopper at the bottom. You have to create one. Char didn't stitch across the bottom to prevent the zipper pull from coming off. The model, not knowing that, pulled the zipper too far and she pulled it off. Again though will "zippergate" somehow change the trajectory of the show; I doubt it. 

• Love 7

I am pretty sure that I saw the bottom of Alexander's model's bra/boob several times as the walked the runway.  The first time I thought I must be mistaken, but, yeah, pretty sure.  He just made one bad decision right after the other, and to me, that top was the worst of the worst, worse even that the yellow creature trying to eat the green creature on the first attempt.  

• Love 1

My idea for a real woman challenge: The designers sit at a long table in a public place, backed by photos of their designs. Each designer MUST work with the first woman who walks up and asks him/her for a makeover. Yeah, there would need to be some behind the scenes vetting done to make sure that the clients were not cray cray or on-the-lam bank robbers, but this would give us the spectacle of designers working with a better cross section of real than this obviously 'curated' (perfect word choice, Sars!) batch of almost-models.

• Love 7

I am pretty sure that I saw the bottom of Alexander's model's bra/boob several times as the walked the runway.  The first time I thought I must be mistaken, but, yeah, pretty sure.  He just made one bad decision right after the other, and to me, that top was the worst of the worst, worse even that the yellow creature trying to eat the green creature on the first attempt.  

Speaking of Alexander's model...did anyone else think she looked like Courtney, the most recent winner of Masterchef USA?

• Love 3

Am I the only person who thought he should have gone with the yellow houndstooth instead of the green plaid? It would have suited his muse's skin tone better, been more interesting, and he could have made it good and graphic with a very little bit of black.

• Love 1

I've been laughing to myself picturing the designers walking through the park and it looks exactly what we see on TV - people walking/standing/sitting around with blurred out faces, but the "acceptable" ones are sitting there with a golden lights focused on them

I kept yelling at the designers, "don't waste your time asking the women with the blurry faces..they're going to say no." 

I have never liked Alexander's use of color. And tonight's was really the worst. I can't agree with Tim, however,  that it was the most hideous thing in PR history, or that he is the most talented designer Tim has ever met. Somebody seems to have turned Tim's hyperbole meter up to 11.

I would have agreed to be a model in a second, no matter what hideous thing they did to me. But I'm a famewhore. I somehow doubt that they would have chosen me, though, being 63 years old and a size..gasp..6! 

I haven't minded Korina, but tonight she was just awful. If she were any more full of herself, she would explode! The trouble is that I kind of agreed with most of her assessments. i just wouldn't say that stuff out loud.

I did disagree with her and the judges about Kimi's not being an appropriate first date dress. Doesn't it all depend on what the first date happens to be? A cocktail,

party, no. Dinner and a movie, why not? A lunch date..even better. And most of all, it was flattering. I think he should have won. 

This group of designers is pretty depressing, I must say. 

• Love 4

Also noticed no women of color. Feh.

LOL, of course no women of color, of course not!  Apparently there aren't any "real" women of color around.

Korina is icky. 

Oh no, you've got that all wrong.  Korina is amazing, and everyone else is icky.  Didn't you hear her clearly explain the situation of how her awesomeness is clearly eclipsing everyone else's in her TH?  *commence eye roll...now*

there was nothing worse than that first outfit.  And I was 100% on Tim's side.  Never, in all of my years of watching PR, through the good times and the bad, bad, bad times.  Nothing has ever made me physically ill.  Alexanders actually made me physically ill, it made my head hurt and it made me nauseous.  Something not only about the clashing patterns/colors, but also about the shapes of the cutouts.  I'm guessing that reaction is very rare, but I can see exactly where Tim was coming from, I couldn't even look at it without getting sick.

Am I the only person who thought he should have gone with the yellow houndstooth instead of the green plaid? It would have suited his muse's skin tone better, been more interesting, and he could have made it good and graphic with a very little bit of black.

Everytime I see a yellow houndstooth/plaid, I can only think of Cher from Clueless.  But anything besides what he did would have been a vast improvement.

• Love 2

Ha! A Sister Wives' production of Chicago!

"I'm gonna scrub my knees, and put support hose on

cha cha, and all that Jazz.....

Start the car, I know a whoopee spot, where the soda's cold, but the soup is hot!

Its just a bingo hall, with a nightly draw

and all....that....Jazz"

• Love 9

Ugggghhh Tim telling Alexander that he was one of the most talented designers ever? I question Tim's taste level. Then again, his credibility has gone down the toilet, so I'm always sceptical at anything he says and does.

My pick for the winner would definitely be Emily. Her outfit was well-designed and appropriate for what her muse wanted it for. Plus her muse was adorable.

As for Char, she acted like a total bitch with her train of profanity and totally blamed her muse for the zipper crapping out. I felt so bad for that lady. The expression on her face was complete embarrassment. Who the fuck does Char think she is for designing skin tight hot pants that fall apart when someone tries to put it on and blames them for it? She needs to get eliminated ASAP.

• Love 4

Everytime I see a yellow houndstooth/plaid, I can only think of Cher from Clueless.

Oh, good. It's not just me. That was my immediate thought when he picked up the fabric at Mood. But in the first garment it looked like it had these weird splotches on it. Odd.

• Love 2

Can I just say... I hated Korina's outfit. I can appreciate that she made a jacket in 2 days, I'm sure it was well-made, but I really didn't like the color. That blue ruined the entire look for me. I don't know why, but I can't stand the look of colored leather (or faux leather, whatever that material was). I might have loved it if she'd made something in black, or even dark brown, I think those might have looked bad-ass, but bright blue like that? Just makes me think I'm looking at some sort of ugly 80's throwback. I couldn't believe she won the challenge.

• Love 4

Heh,  A breathing problem makes the most sense, but I wonder if just doesn't realize he's doing it.

I have the same condition myself. It's when the muscles of the jaw attach/rest further back on the skull than normal. There's a medical name for it but I can't recall it at the moment.

When I become self aware of it, I can force my jaw forward and close my mouth but the effect is essentially the same as if you were in the dentist's office and told to open wide for a long period of time. It tends to get painful after a while.

Incidentally, I hate dentists because they often call in their dental assistants and students and make me open, close, open, close, open, close like I'm some kind of freak.

Another downside is that at times people assume my mental capabilities are less than normal because my mouth is typically open to some degree.

Edited by Random Noise

Agreed. Although I did think that the judges tried to be more cognizant of that this time when offering their critique and with their little pre-judging "it's not you, it's them" disclaimer. The constant "but your hair and make-up look great!" compliments felt a wee bit forced, but I'm still glad they did that.

They had to keep telling them their hair & makeup looked great because the designers kept asking people if they wanted a makeover, but when it comes down to it, nobody got one. The judges were trying to convince the models that they did.

• Love 4

I wasn't fond of the Mary Kay makeup "makeovers" at all. Most of the lip colors used seemed really dark (too dark), which just seemed so unflattering. Especially on Alexander's model, but she wasn't the only one. I would have preferred some softer looks, especially for those wearing such bold colors. It was too much.

I did like the haircut that Amanda's model got. Her hair was so long; the new cut seemed to flatter her face. Not too short, but gave it some bounce and curl.

• Love 1

They had to keep telling them their hair & makeup looked great because the designers kept asking people if they wanted a makeover, but when it comes down to it, nobody got one. The judges were trying to convince the models that they did.

Alexander's model actually looked worst after the "makeover".

• Love 1

I wasn't fond of the Mary Kay makeup "makeovers" at all. Most of the lip colors used seemed really dark (too dark), which just seemed so unflattering. Especially on Alexander's model, but she wasn't the only one. I would have preferred some softer looks, especially for those wearing such bold colors. It was too much.

I did like the haircut that Amanda's model got. Her hair was so long; the new cut seemed to flatter her face. Not too short, but gave it some bounce and curl.

I think a lot of it was just the makeup.  I don't use Mary Kay, but every single time they have shown a model wearing the makeup it just looks awful.  I don't think it translates well to TV, or they just don't have enough colors, or the colors aren't nuanced enough, mixed correctly, or are not pigmented enough so you have to put a crapload on before you see a color payoff.  I think they are trying to go for a different demographic with their sponsorship of the show, but I'm not entirely sure that the market they are trying to capture will ever see their product as super high end.  And frankly, there are a lot of other higher end makeup lines with a better pedigree, I just can't quite understand why Mary Kay is even trying to capture that market, because it is so oversaturated.  And they certainly aren't going to convince anyone when their makeup always looks terrible.  I just don't get it.

• Love 3

I think the show chickened out because of Ven being an asshole to the "real" contestant that season so instead this episode we get the contestants choosing ballet dancers, beautiful German women, oddly perfect looking kindergarten teachers, etc.

That's a complete copout.  So as mentioned upthread, we miss out on seeing women of different sizes, and all the women end up young/skinny/white.  How is this real.  The models they're assigned are more real in that sense.

Can I just say... I hated Korina's outfit.

I love leather, blue, and leather jackets.  I really didn't like Korina's jacket.  I thought it looked cheap, cheap, cheap.  There are fake leather jackets that are simple, and chic.  This wasn't one of them.  The fit was bad.  When the model took off the jacket, the dress looked so puckered and badly made!

I think everyone's outfits were so poor this week the judges just kind of lied and made it like Korina's outfit was great.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

I'm curious if the show really thought they were fooling anyone with that Washington Square Park sequence. A lot of those people were definitely "seeded" there for the designers to find--just on a random day you might find a hundred different NYU students, but not so many ballerinas and actresses.

• Love 2

Mary Kay's not bad makeup. My niece sells it, so I have some around. They have color that look natural on me, which isn't easy to find. I think the problem here is that they're putting women who should be in pinks and corals in berries and browns because they're trying to be dramatic and they just don't make the right products for that.

• Love 1

I do wonder why ANYONE is surprised by Korina's super-bitchy comments this episode.  It's been my theory all along that she's been making them about EVERY contestant and the show made it seem like she was almost exclusively focusing on Sandhya, to force that storyline.  

To be fair, it's even still possible that Korina is making both good and bad comments about everyone and it's being clipped.  Even so, she goes nasty real easily, and it never had anything to do with Sandhya at all.

• Love 7