Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E10: Muse On The Street

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

Tim to Alexander: "You are one of the most talented designers I have ever met."

HOLY CRAP, what the hell is wrong with Tim? Seriously, first he saves Char just because he personally likes her, then he fawns all over Alexander. I'm kinda worried about him, y'all.

• Love 24

I forgot to mention what really annoyed me about zippergate was the way Char tried to deflect the entire blame onto her model. I mean, what the hell happened between the fitting and the actual pre-runway that the shorts got so tight the zipper gave way????

And then she said to the model who was kind enough to let her make a garment for her, by the way, "you bust the zipper." NIce grammar, too.

I defended Char's extra ten minutes, but only because of the fact that it's a non-model wearing the outfit. Having said that her blaming the zipper on her model made me mad. It was rude and unnecessary.

• Love 12

[Char's zipper issue] should have been disclosed to the judges before the designers even came out

I'm not sure I agree with that. I thought that Tim did the right thing in waiting to talk about it after the runway. That way, the outfits were all judged on their own merits (or lack of merits, as the case may be) as seen coming down the runway, with no prejudgments or obsessions about "is that the outfit whose zipper broke, making us all wait?" No one could complain afterward that they'd been judged unfairly or express concern that Tim telling the judges ahead of time might have negatively affected the judges' opinions of their outfit. 

• Love 4

Re: Char and zipper-gate - it was the right thing to do giving her the extra 10 minutes because the model/muse was a regular, off-the-street person who gave up her time in exchange for the whole experience. The wrong thing here was Tim putting the decision on the competitors. What a cop-out. First of all, the producers made the decision, not Tim. But in any event, once the decision was made, it should have been conveyed to them as a decision, not in the form of a question. That would have eliminated any (or most) of the bitterness.

• Love 5

Anytime Korina wants to fall out a window, I'm game. She's a nasty little person. I doubt the producers need to prod many reactions out of her. She's an unpleasant person with an overinflated sense of self and her designs.

I imagine sometimes the editors find one designer and give them the villain or villainess edit, to stir things up for drama. But I still wonder about Korina as a person, because I noticed her smile when Tim slaughtered Alexander's first design. If that was actually a smile for something else happening in the day, then she's not getting a very good or fair edit. The editors were really pushing her to look and sound cocky and nasty and ego-centric this episode (even the poll was all, "Is Korina too cocky?"). But if she was really smiling over Alexander's struggle, then I think she's cruel and I hope she doesn't make it to the final four. And I did think she was being way too cocky this time around. Her design wasn't that brilliant. *eyeroll*

• Love 6

The last couple weeks Korina seemed to stop being so mean and bitchy, but tonight she was right back to her nasty self. I went back to hating her. She had nothing nice to say about anyone else's looks, and just had to fawn all over herself and her perceived greatness. Blech. I hope she makes it to the final 4 and then gets axed.

Tim did the right thing by letting Char fix her zipper. If the model had to walk the runway without a zipper in those shorts, it would have been mortifying for her. And even more horrifying would have been to have to stand there, falling out of them, while the judges took their "closer look."

I like Amanda, but that outfit was really ugly. Bad fabric, poorly proportioned, and not made well. She's lucky Char and Alexander had much worse looks.

• Love 5

Kini's model was so cute.  I think he should have won -- he gave her what she wanted, it was well made (the selvedge edge around the neckline was a nice touch), and he styled her the best out of everyone. 

I liked the collar on Emily's dress but not all the ruffles.  Everything else was crap, including Korina's 80s mall look.  And Sean trotted out fringe AGAIN.  I'd like him if he weren't so calculating and clearly pandering to the judges.

Tim telling Alexander he was one of the most talented designers EVER on Project Runway. What with the what now? I guess Tim has been voting for him as favorite designer.

Tim is either incredibly high or flat out insincere.  What has Alexander done that could even be labeled better than average?

My cousin who goes there sees Alexander all the time on campus and he says, yes, his mouth is always open.

Heh,  A breathing problem makes the most sense, but I wonder if just doesn't realize he's doing it.

• Love 5

I don't understand why the judges seem to think that pre-school teachers might not want to get their freak on.

I was so excited for Alexander at the beginning of the season, I think he had a fantastic portfolio and the pieces he brought to audition were soooo very cool.  So I will defend Tim Gunn that I think Alexander probably is very talented, but as a student, he still has a lot to learn about design.  At least he wasn't a dick.  Like Korina.

Edited by larapu2000
  • Love 6

I imagine sometimes the editors find one designer and give them the villain or villainess edit, to stir things up for drama. But I still wonder about Korina as a person, because I noticed her smile when Tim slaughtered Alexander's first design. If that was actually a smile for something else happening in the day, then she's not getting a very good or fair edit. The editors were really pushing her to look and sound cocky and nasty and ego-centric this episode (even the poll was all, "Is Korina too cocky?"). But if she was really smiling over Alexander's struggle, then I think she's cruel and I hope she doesn't make it to the final four. And I did think she was being way too cocky this time around. Her design wasn't that brilliant. *eyeroll*

You've made very good points and others have expressed similarly.

When it comes to reality shows, I know producers will manipulate certain people and scenarios. At the same time, I think producers look to fill certain roles where they won't have to waste too much energy on provoking specific reactions out of people.

Usually I give a person the benefit of the doubt, unless the person is really just too nasty for it not to be real on some level. I don't know if that makes sense. Certain people are drawn to go on reality shows and I think casting has an easier job than we might expect.

I don't think Korina is a nice person. We've seen a couple of flashes of what passes for kindness from her, but we've seen her act meaner on most occasions.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 8

UGH!!!! What a terrible runway and what a terrible winner. I've been driving myself crazy trying to think of who Korina reminds me of and think I've finally got it ... a bad knock off of Phoebe Cates. !

I was thinking Liv Tyler. (Although their personalities are like night and day).

• Love 3

I hate Korinna. If she wins, this show will be dead to me.

I loved Kini and Emily's designs. Either of them would have been more palatable for tonight's win. I'm so glad that horrible Alexander FINALLY went home. I never thought I'd write this anywhere, but can't they bring back Michael Kors?

channeling my inner Nina Garcia but, since he's been gone...."I question the taste level of this show"...

• Love 5

Amanda used upholstery fabric to make a dress.  Do the designers this season not know fabrics?  Mood is supposed to have an incredible selection of fabrics, so she chose upholstery material.  Just a bad choice right from the start.  Of course the dress didn’t fall right. 

I kind of wish Tim hadn’t suggested Alexander scrap his first dress.  I would have liked to see the judges’ reaction to the hideous color/pattern combination and the shapes he chose for the attack of the yellow and black splotches.  Weirdly, when he was clearing off his table, Alexander’s mouth was finally closed.  Sad Alexander doesn’t need to mouth breath.

Tim did the right thing by letting Char fix her zipper. If the model had to walk the runway without a zipper in those shorts, it would have been mortifying for her. And even more horrifying would have been to have to stand there, falling out of them, while the judges took their "closer look."

The camera was certainly willing to get up close and personal with the model's hips.  Especially given that it was a real person challenge, they should have stopped zooming in.   

• Love 3

I was thinking Liv Tyler. (Although their personalities are like night and day).

I always think Carrie Bradshaw.    That same self-infatuated, "the world is watching me!" sense of entitlement, with absolutely nothing to back it up -- especially when it comes to fashion sense.

Hopefully Korina's performance tonight answered the folks who say they can't understand all the Korina hate.   Every comment that came from her mouth was either critical of the other designers or dripping with self-adulation.    It's not that she says anything truly rotten, but it's like the death of a thousand cuts -- it just adds up, especially combined with those shitty little expressions of hers when other designers are being critiqued.

A motorcycle jacket, Korina?   Yeah, that's new.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 9

I think the zipper busting was more production mayhem save than Tim Gunn "doing the right thing",  Because it wasn't really the right thing.  People have had models not show up and be forced to "deal with it".  Models have stepped on trains and skirts and torn them too late to fix them.  Other contestants have backed into a dress with a hot iron.  It was not a flat out issue of the zipper being faulty.  It was the zipper failed.  And to me more than a half chance it was due to the dress either not being fitted correctly or it was a structural issue on Char's part for placing the zipper where she did.  Utter fail. 

And it should not have been up to Tim for that matter.  What should have happened is Tim should have had the contestants all stop, pulled them from their models and sit them in the break room while Tim went to the judges and without telling them which contestant, what the deal was and whether extra time should allowed.  If and only if the judges said yes, then the rest of the contestants should have had  the same amount of time to address issues with their models/designs.  In what fucking land of fairy dust and farts made of cotton candy is it fair for someone to get more time than the others?  Period.  It does not matter why.  If Char got the time to sew her new zipper in the rest should have been allowed to have that time to their advantage in the sew room as well.

But I have to wonder just how much the judges already knew and Production had already told them/  The whole "I can't believe they are late, I can't believe it, where oh where are they Underdog?"   Yeah.  It's a tv show.  With sound and lights and several people who have mic packs that slip and fail.  So don't give me that bullshit scene and pretend it was real.  The only way they would be "late" is if the models starting walking down the runway and the designers were still no where to be found.

And that one woman judge can just go suck it.  In what world is a :First Date" defined by a particular look?  Tell me you dumbass.  Do you wear the same outfit to just coffee on the first date?  A double date with the people who set you up to a play in the park?  Dinner at a nice restaurant?  A sporting event?  YOU ARE STUPID.  Don't come back.  I thought the wonderful mix of casual and yet pretty girl effort the outfit conveyed was perfect for some nebulous idea of a first date.  It made her look wow without being a huge trying too hard to impress effort.  Again.  GO AWAY you stupid bint.

Alexander has been pretty awful and he would likely have gone next week unless he managed to actually understand a challenge, have a credible idea and actually pull it off.  But I think that was the very reasoning behind him getting the auf.  Again I know I picnic hard and heavy on the Grassy Knoll of Jonathan Murray is a Huge Tool.  But I would not be surprised when the judges clearly had Alexander and Char in the bottom if they decided to save Char just to make this show interesting. 

Because again, I find it bullshit that Tim can arbitrarily decide to bend a rule like this unless he has production input of some sort.  And Heidi is a very hands on in her own production credit duties.  Where oh where are they indeed.

• Love 9

While watching the episode tonight I was struck by the incongruity of Red Robin's sponsorship.   We flash from pretty girls on the runway to a commercial featuring that dowdy Red Robin spokeswoman, dressed in what looks like a man's shirt, talking about their "Bottomless Fries" (the name, by the way, is a whole kind of oxymoronic irony in itself).   Maybe they should invite her to be a judge one of these weeks.  And the winner this season gets to design a "wardrobe item" for Red Robin uniforms?

A grease-resistant knock-off of a motorcycle jacket, perhaps?

• Love 6

Still not understanding why they didn't just give *everyone* an extra ten minutes to make it more fair, rather than creating a whole drama about special favors for one designer.

This was my first thought, I'm sure nobody would have had a problem with getting 10 extra minutes, they had to wait the 10 minutes for Char anyway, so why not give them to everyone? Everyone was right when they said that Char got another Tim Gunn save.

As for the outfits:

Liked

Kini-The jacket was great, but maybe a little tight.

Sean-Nice clean lines

OK

Korina-Loved the jacket, hated the skirt

Didn’t Like

Emily-The shoes were so wrong, they made the entire outfit look wrong.

Amanda-Something funny in the stomach/crotch area, maybe because the fit was wrong?

Char-Shorts were too tight, it just looked weird.

Alexander-The bad fit ruined it, the top wasn't right

I like Amanda, but that outfit was really ugly. Bad fabric, poorly proportioned, and not made well. She's lucky Char and Alexander had much worse looks.

Nothing was worse than Amanda's outfit. It looked cheap and matronly, hideous fabric, hideous "design".  It looked like a Simplicity pattern. This season is a major suck fest. Poor Tim seems confused from week to week about the sponsor of the accessory wall and the hair and make-up room. 

• Love 2

I always think Carrie Bradshaw.    That same self-infatuated, "the world is watching me!" sense of entitlement, with absolutely nothing to back it up -- especially when it comes to fashion sense.

Good one! I know what you mean. (Just to be clear - the Liv Tyler comparison was just in looks only. Liv is so sweet and soft-spoken).

• Love 1

I believe Alexander fell into the same trap that has devoured designers in the past -- he listened to his model.   When she said "fifties retro," he should have nodded politely, pumped up her confidence, then designed the outfit HE wanted.  His model had an offbeat look.  He could have used that to advantage by creating something similarly unexpected.    Ordinary people don't always know what's best for them.   That's why we have fashion designers, consultants, make-up artists, etc.

It was petty of him to whimper "if Shar didn't get that extra 10 minutes ..." but I suppose he can't be blamed.   Still, what glory is there in knowing the only reason you're still around is because somebody else's zipper broke?

• Love 3

I believe Alexander fell into the same trap that has devoured designers in the past -- he listened to his model.   When she said "fifties retro," he should have nodded politely, pumped up her confidence, then designed the outfit HE wanted.  His model had an offbeat look.  He could have used that to advantage by creating something similarly unexpected.    Ordinary people don't always know what's best for them.   That's why we have fashion designers, consultants, make-up artists, etc.

It was petty of him to whimper "if Shar didn't get that extra 10 minutes ..." but I suppose he can't be blamed.   Still, what glory is there in knowing the only reason you're still around is because somebody else's zipper broke?

I have no problem with Alexander going had Char sent down her dress ten minutes earlier than she did.  After all, if that was his fifties?  He needs to go back to school.  First Gilligan's Island was from the mid sixties.  And second shag carpeting didn't really come into its own until the late sixties early seventies.  So in what world of Alexander's did the Professor tear up the S.S. Minnow's lounge rug and make a dress for Ginger  that Betty Draper of Madmen borrowed to wear to her wedding shower?

Edited by heebiejeebie
  • Love 2

Amanda-Something funny in the stomach/crotch area, maybe because the fit was wrong?

Her outfit was puckering on a couple of seams.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who noticed that the fabric was squishing together between the woman's waist and crotch. For some reason, it looked like extra black bands were in that area when the model walked down the runway. It was a dreadful look.

All of her looks are pretty dreadful, actually.

• Love 2

I think I've figured out Alexander's mouth issue:  his teeth are too big for his mouth!   I was re-watching and at the end when he was whimpering about Char, it struck me that his teeth were just all wrong for his mouth/head.

Anyway, despite his assertions otherwise, his outfit(s) were just so wrong and I felt his volunteer/model was poorly served.  I personally didn't care for her black eyebrows/bleached hair look but she deserved a decent outfit.

• Love 1

I think the zipper busting was more production mayhem save than Tim Gunn "doing the right thing",  Because it wasn't really the right thing.  People have had models not show up and be forced to "deal with it".  Models have stepped on trains and skirts and torn them too late to fix them.  Other contestants have backed into a dress with a hot iron.  It was not a flat out issue of the zipper being faulty.  It was the zipper failed.  And to me more than a half chance it was due to the dress either not being fitted correctly or it was a structural issue on Char's part for placing the zipper where she did.  Utter fail. 

And it should not have been up to Tim for that matter.  What should have happened is Tim should have had the contestants all stop, pulled them from their models and sit them in the break room while Tim went to the judges and without telling them which contestant, what the deal was and whether extra time should allowed.  If and only if the judges said yes, then the rest of the contestants should have had  the same amount of time to address issues with their models/designs.  In what fucking land of fairy dust and farts made of cotton candy is it fair for someone to get more time than the others?  Period.  It does not matter why.  If Char got the time to sew her new zipper in the rest should have been allowed to have that time to their advantage in the sew room as well.

But I have to wonder just how much the judges already knew and Production had already told them/  The whole "I can't believe they are late, I can't believe it, where oh where are they Underdog?"   Yeah.  It's a tv show.  With sound and lights and several people who have mic packs that slip and fail.  So don't give me that bullshit scene and pretend it was real.  The only way they would be "late" is if the models starting walking down the runway and the designers were still no where to be found.

And that one woman judge can just go suck it.  In what world is a :First Date" defined by a particular look?  Tell me you dumbass.  Do you wear the same outfit to just coffee on the first date?  A double date with the people who set you up to a play in the park?  Dinner at a nice restaurant?  A sporting event?  YOU ARE STUPID.  Don't come back.  I thought the wonderful mix of casual and yet pretty girl effort the outfit conveyed was perfect for some nebulous idea of a first date.  It made her look wow without being a huge trying too hard to impress effort.  Again.  GO AWAY you stupid bint.

Alexander has been pretty awful and he would likely have gone next week unless he managed to actually understand a challenge, have a credible idea and actually pull it off.  But I think that was the very reasoning behind him getting the auf.  Again I know I picnic hard and heavy on the Grassy Knoll of Jonathan Murray is a Huge Tool.  But I would not be surprised when the judges clearly had Alexander and Char in the bottom if they decided to save Char just to make this show interesting. 

Because again, I find it bullshit that Tim can arbitrarily decide to bend a rule like this unless he has production input of some sort.  And Heidi is a very hands on in her own production credit duties.  Where oh where are they indeed.

I think it was the right thing to do because that woman was not a "professional model". Having that poor woman walk the runway with her entire   side exposed would have been horrible. Tim made the right choice. 

Edited by blaase
  • Love 8

It also looked like everyone's skirt was higher in the back, which was driving me crazy.

I have no problem with getting an extra 10 minutes with the broken zipper considering it was a 'real person' and not a model. What I don't understand is why Tim didn't just give everyone 10 extra minutes. Even if they didn't have emergency repairs to make I'm sure all of them could have used the extra time - thoughtfully.

Which means what, she was like a size 2 instead of -2?  I'm a real person and I'd be darn happy if my butt/thigh looked like that even if my shorts zipper failed.  I might even walk around like that just because.  I'm not a fan of the bare midriffs or the butts hanging out, but it seems like the models mostly enjoyed their outfits so that was good.

I thought they generally looked really good, and I agree, all of the designers should've been able to use those extra 10 minutes. (hehe thoughtfully, of course)

• Love 1

I think it was the right thing to do because that woman was not a "professional model". Having that poor woman walk the runway with her entire   side exposed would have been horrible. Tim made the right choice.

We'll have to just agree to vehemently disagree.  Simply because by his own words Tim says it was the wrong thing to do.  Any other models and he would not have suggested it let alone done it.  Except no one way being judged on the model in a way that made it not about the design. no matter how inventive they are with the regular women challenge, this episode was not the Golden Awards For All Special Snowflakes Walk the Runway Extravaganza.   Giving the model consideration to either not walk or give her some kind of slip or bodysuit to wear underneath is plenty.  If she didn't want to walk they could have put the garment as is and rolled it out on the body form.  Poor real woman model doesn't get to strut her stuff on the runway?  Not a tragedy.  In the words of Posen.  Zippers break.  in no way did having to make sure the model got to walk the runway in the manner she was allowed have any bearing on the contest at hand of designing and presenting fashion.  No where.  Tim pulled yet another shitty Jonathan Murray stunt when all is aid and done since Tim pretty likely did not make the final call.  Someone who makes sure the show makes money did that.  So even if it was right Tim's mouth moved but it was the hand up his ass throwing his voice.  But again, I see nothing about making some woman off the street's social media day by being on the show a matter that should give a contestant a break like Char got.

• Love 2

This episode....

1. Korina - ugh, generally I would think editing could be the culprit, but after her asshole facebook post regarding Sandaya last week, I think this is just who she is.  No one else is worthy to be there except her.  Char, whom she was friendly with not even two weeks ago, is now public enemy number one.  Everyone wants her jacket, and I wanted to hug Kini when he said "not me" which of course, she copped an attitude to. 

2. Kini - I thought Kini should have won, hands down.  Not only did his model look amazing, not only was he able to work with a style completely unlike his own, but I think he was the only one to pick a model with a real body, and real body issues and make her look amazing.  Everyone else seemed to be on the hunt for someone with a model-like body (and Char's happiness over having a "real body" model, when hers had an amazing body, was laughable).  Emily's dress was awesome, but her model was a dancer, and so she had an amazing body already, same with Korina's model.  Kini's model had curves, and I thought that dress looked beautiful on her.

3. Emily - I agree with Zac, it was nice to have a beautiful look that didn't look like you could just buy it off the rack.  Her piece was one of a kind, and the model clearly loved the ruffles.  They always say "costumey" like its the kiss of death, but the PR runway has always been the place for statement outfits, in fact designers around the world put out basically unwearable clothing in their fashion shows.  So I don't think its as important for the runway to be a place for ready to wear, ready for the store clothing.  I think on a show like Fashion Star that was important, because they were going to be sold the next day, but the PR runway can be a place for clothing with drama, and dare I saw, a little costumey.  I mean, I don't want anyone putting out a wonder woman leotard, but this wasn't even close to that, it was just a very dramatic look.

4. Char and Alexander - both, just awful, awful looks.  And with two days?  Just no.  Alexanders first look was just awful, and good on Tim for saying something.  I don't know how else he could have said it, because that shit was bad.  And it concerns me that Alexander could not see it.  It was one of those looks that almost made me nauseous.  Giant polka dots in mustard yellow against a green pattern, and in those cut out shapes.  Why?  I don't even know why he chose those prints/patterns/colors at all.  As for Char, her outfit, even with the zipper, was just awful.  And was it just me, or was something odd about her model's walk, maybe she wasn't used to being in heels.  Either way, Char's outfit was also something that made me question her taste level.  I get red, but red on top of red?  Why?  It could have had a cool, graphic quality, if she had just contrasted it with another color, maybe a bright blue.  And I'm almost never sure about rompers for adults.  But that jacket she put over it was just all wrong, no matter what the color it was messy.  I think she could have made her a dress, and even a short dress would have been better than that.  I would have been fine with a double elimination.

• Love 11

Everyone stop whining about Shar being saved, you all gave her the extra 10 minutes!!!!   And the zipper broke, it wasn't like it wasn't sewn in properly. I think giving her extra time was the right thing to do especially since the model wasn't a professional, but a civilian and asking her to walk the runway like that would be cruel.

You know, it sort of reminds me of Top Chef.  On that show there is always an opportunity to screw someone over by not letting them use your knife, or by not letting them use your ingredient that you have extra of, but that they forgot.  And almost always, a contestant who has the upper hand in that respect will help the other contestant.  It's almost like a pride thing where its like "I want to win, I don't just want you to lose"  They want to show that they are the best chef, not that they simply won by default because someone else lost because they forgot to bring the butter.

Was this an advertisement for or against Mary Kay?

That is an excellent question.  The makeup looked awful.  I can't believe that this is them trying to convince me to buy their makeup.  Maybe it just doesn't transfer well to TV.  I know that a lot of higher end makeup like Makeup Forever, Stila, Smashbox and Urban Decay all have HD lines or makeup that is designed for photos/TV.  I just don't get it with Mary Kay, the makeup consistently looks terrible.  And its like they keep trying to convince us it looks good with the "pictures" of the models in the makeup.

This season's designers are really a talentless bunch

Sadly, I think I agree with you there.  I have railed all season that this crop of designers was probably very talented, but they never had any time to design.  But after seeing lackluster results on this challenge and on the avant garde challenge I think its just the designers.  The only thing I can say is that earlier designers that had been eliminated when there were only one day challenges may have been better than we all knew because they had only had a day to design everything.  I'm thinking particularly of Kristine.  I would have loved to have seen Fade take on this challenge, because I think he knew how to work with patterns in a way that would have flattered a real woman.

And was it just me, or did Amanda's model sort of look like Korina....

• Love 6

Boy, this was an unfortunate runway.  Are these designers getting burned out or have a whole bunch of them hit the bottom of their talent and imagination?

Good:

Emily:  A little flamenco-ish, but pretty, well made, and flattering. The ruffles might have been a tad too high, but it framed her face really nicely.   I thought this should have won.  It was the most interesting outfit of the night.

Kini:   Fun, flattering, and well made.  It really seemed to suit his model/muse's personality.  Should be in the top, but shouldn't be the winner.  

Bad:

Alexander:   Damn, this sucked from A-Z.  Not original in the slightest.  Looked poorly made.  Bad in pretty much every single way.  It looked like someone's first big sewing project in home ec.   I can't argue with his auffing, but have to say that some other folks could have gone home, too, and I wouldn't have complained.  Alexander's parting shot saying that he's out because of an unfair advantage given to Char is negated by the craptastic outfit that he sent down the runway.

Amanda:  This sucked dead sheep sideways, I swear.   Again, no originality AT ALL.  None.  Badly sewn.  Not particularly flattering.  She should have gone home for this, especially at this point in the contest.  She was lucky that others sucked just about as badly.  I can't believe the judges didn't comment on the big black arrow (inverted V) that was pointing at the woman's crotch.  It's like something on a pirate's map:  "Here lies the vagina!"

Char:  OMG, isn't this the grown up version of Sandhya's romper thingie from the American Girl challenge?  WTF, Char?  She, like Amanda, is lucky to still be in the contest.  Not flattering.  Weirdly proportioned.  That peplum made it look like an ill advised maternity outfit.   Terrible.

Meh:

Korina:   Jeeze louise.  This looks like something from a shop aimed at tweens like Justice.  In fact, I think my niece had that jacked when she was 7.   How the heck did this win?   Korina, honestly, should stop doing those talking heads.  She is a miserable human being.  Miserable.  

Sean:  This exact dress is available at any discount formal shop in the US and most of Europe, and has been available for decades.   He's lucky that Alexander, Amanda, and Char sucked so badly.  This was disappointing but didn't suck as badly as their dresses.

Edited by terrymct
  • Love 8

I'm going to have to quit watching this just because every episode is giving me PTFD (post traumatic fashion disorder), complete with flashbacks. PRAIRIE is back now, Emily? As for Amanda...honey, the 70s were hideous. HIDEOUS. Stop dredging them back up. Add in Korina's Rhythm Nation jacket...I have to go lie down with a cool cloth over my eyes. Maybe I'll soak it in vodka.

Bye, Alexander. At least I can stop trying to remember why I can never remember you.

P.S. And did Kina's jacket have shoulder pads? So many memories...so many bad memories....

• Love 12

How's this for a Project Runway first, Tim? For the first time, I don't give a hoot who wins this mess amongst this crappy herd of no-talents - and I don't particularly care what you have to say about anything, thanks to seeing a different side of you in UTG.

General venting. No position on zippergate. Because I don't care.

• Love 15

Her outfit was puckering on a couple of seams.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who noticed that the fabric was squishing together between the woman's waist and crotch. For some reason, it looked like extra black bands were in that area when the model walked down the runway. It was a dreadful look.

All of her looks are pretty dreadful, actually.

Amanda's dress also had a big black inverted V pointing to her crotch.  I wondered why none of the judges pointed that out.

• Love 5

I would have give the win for Kini  - not only because I liked the outfit; but, aside from Emily, he was the only one who fitted his model and made her look great; not 20 pounds heavier like the others did. 

Emily's fitted her model too; and her dress really was well done - but she reminded me of a Flamenco dancer.  I think if the dress were just a little shorter and not cut at the angle at the bottom it would have been better.

Korina's I did not really liked.  When she first started on the jacket I went uggg that looks awful but then when she was completing it I thought it looked a lot better; but basically; yeah it was a motorcycle jacket.  The dress to me was just awful and made the very thin ballerina look like she was squeezing into a way to tight dress.

Amanda's was just awful - way to short and way too tight and I didn't like the fabric at all.

I missed about 10 minutes of the show when they were getting the models ready so I missed seeing the part where Char's model  zipper broke.  When I saw the model walk down the runway I just assumed it broke because the shorts were way too tight and she couldn't zip the zipper?  I guess that isn't what happened. From looking at the Rate the Runway pictures - it also looks like the jacket was too tight - like the closure of the jacket just barely made it.

Alexander's was just awful.  At first I thought they were giving him a winner's edit - you know him saying he has never won (Sean 3 - Kini 2) and then Tim going at him about how awful that dress was (and yeah, it was!!!!).  So I thought he was going to remake a fabulous dress and end up winning.  But yikes - that dress was awful.  And after looking at the Rate the Runway pictures this morning; the styling was BAD, from the way too dark lipstick to the flat shoes.  If she would have worn some sort of heel it might have looked better.

Edited by tobysmom
  • Love 1

Also I'd argue that Tim "saved" Alexander when he told him how horrible his original outfit was. The joke was on Alexander because both versions were crap.

The fact that Alexander could look at his original garment and not see it for the horror that it was further justified his elimination, IMO. And I feel like he has already done the exact silhouette that he showed to the judges last night. 

Tim to Alexander: "You are one of the most talented designers I have ever met."

Every season, Tim always tells the designers that they are the most talented in the history of Project Runway and that we'll be hearing more from all of them. It would be more helpful to them in the long run if he looked at a garment like Alexander's or Char's and said "Honey, this designing thing isn't working out. Go home and look into some trade schools."

It seems like Amanda's redemption storyline has come to a close, so I expect her to get the boot next week (which happens to be the same point when Kate was let go last season). The judges don't seem to be that into Emily, so I wager that she's the next to leave, followed by Char (who they will probably keep around just to anger her competitors). 

I see this coming down to Kini and Sean. My money's on the latter, though I really wish he'd cool it on the fringe. 

Edited by ThatsDarling
  • Love 4

I don't understand why the judges seem to think that pre-school teachers might not want to get their freak on.

Right?  It's not like this challenge was to design something for them to wear at work.  Plus during the fitting the model said she wanted the shorts shorter and Char shortened them to her liking.  I thought Char's looked so much better w/o that jacket/cardigan thing.  That piece was just awful.  It was still bottom worthy w/o the top piece, but not as bad.

A note on Kini's.  I loved it too.  The judges didn't seem to think it was nice enough for a date?  It was too "day" as Nina said.  I'm sorry, but around here first dates are not usually extravagant affairs.  Even if at nice dinner or show.  Not all dinners are at 5 star-wait-a-month-or-more to get reservations kind of place, and not all shows are fancy either.  Heck, I'v e been to Broadway shows where many patrons were in jeans and t-shirts.  So I think that dress would be totally appropriate for a first date.  Unless, of course, that date is at some sort of fancy gala, but that didn't seem to be the case here.

• Love 6

I liked Emily's design and thought she should have won. The dress was striking and very well-made.  The high fluted pleats flattered the client's long neck and body type.  I wonder if it would've won if it had been in black.

I thought Kini's design looked like something you could buy at the local mall.  Korina's jacket was nice but unoriginal and did not go well with the black underdress, which was boring and too short in the back.

Any of the bottom three could've gone home.  Alexander's design resembled a kilt from a distance.  Amanda's v-striped design looked cheap and was badly made (the v's didn't match up on the sides, the skirt was too short).  Char's just looked bad - the tap dance outfit comment was spot on,

I used to like Tim, but now I think he's playing to the cameras or creating fake drama for the show.  I've seen every season of PR, and I don't believe that Alexander's first design was the most hideous thing Tim's ever seen.  Tim also used to be a director of some sort at Parsons, so I'm sure he's seen worse designs from students as well.  Between his comments and his second 'save' of Char, I'm done with Tim.  There have been previous instances on PR where a designer was sent home because of a badly executed garment - he or she didn't have time to finish and never got an extra 10 minutes.  Tim broke the rules - and, worse, he managed to shift the blame to the designers by putting them to the vote.

Edited by tv echo

Yuck, Korina won.  I don't know what the big deal was about having the model walk the runway with the broken zipper, exposing herself, when there was a close-up camera shot.  We all saw it anyway.  (Poor lady).  Good thing she teaches preschool and not an older grade, or the kids in her class would have been "I saw Mrs. (Whatever)'s butt on Project Runway!!" By the way, being a preschool teacher doesn't mean you have to wear cardigans, hemlines below the knees and Mary Janes.  Looking good, even sexy(!), is OK if you're a preschool teacher.

I thought Kini's should have won.  I really liked Emily's and wouldn't have minded it winning, but I knew it wouldn't with Nina's "flamenco dancer" comment.  She should have made that dress for the avant-garde challenge.

Alexander's first dress - eaten by a polka-dotted mutant amoeba - ha, that was funny.  I couldn't figure out if the yellow fabric was just on top of the green dress and he just needed to remove it, or if the shape had been cut out of the green dress and filled in with the amoeba.  The shape of the first dress looked OK and I don't think it was any worse than Blayne's pooping fabric dress from Season 5.

• Love 6

As soon as I saw Alexander's fabric choices in Mood I said he will be gone.  Do NOT pick green/black houndstooth, and bile yellow.  He should have been eliminated just for ugly color combinations.  I admit my opinion of Amanda rose when she said re: Zippergate "we voted and said it was o.k."  so basically, STFU because nobody spoke up.  I admire her for saying that.  And yes, this is the most untalented group ever.

• Love 15

Where do the contestants keep coming up with extra fabric? Do they buy two to three times what they need? Do they buy several different fabrics in case their initial design falls short?

I'm thinking of Kini in particular. Where does he get all that fabric to make several dresses/outfits each episode?

• Love 3