Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E10: Muse On The Street

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

Each of the designers must find their muse on the streets of New York and convince a stranger to undergo a complete makeover.

Disclosure: there is no guarantee that Find Your Muse is the actual episode title. Almost every episode this season the title has been changed from what is originally listed. 

I imagine it might be difficult to find someone given all the stories in movies and TV (and sometimes real life) about what happens to women when a stranger accosts them on the street and asks if they would like to be models.

• Love 8

I imagine it might be difficult to find someone given all the stories in movies and TV (and sometimes real life) about what happens to women when a stranger accosts them on the street and asks if they would like to be models.

They could do a tie in with the Investigation Discovery Channel: "Stalked, Someone from Project Runway is Watching"

Can you imagine Ven trying to convince some random passing yuppie or college student in Washington Square Park to be his muse?

Well, they would have to be in college, and in perfect shape, because it was super unfair that Ven got stuck with someone who didn't look perfect.  Because, you know, fashion is really only for people with perfect bodies.  That asshat.

• Love 13

Emily's look was dramatic, high fashion, and well made, and her model was killing it.  Kini's look was very cute and thousands of women would want to buy it.  The rest, for me, blah.  I thought Amanda's dress was awful and I want her to go home but she won't of course.  IMO right now.

• Love 9

Did Alexander deserve to go home.  HELL YES!!!  That really was Hideous #2 in one challenge.   The "Do you agree with Judges" voting was obviously the same stupid group of people who are voting Fan Fave each week.

I liked Korina's outfit but I cannot believe NOONE commented on those incredibly badly placed short/upcuts front and back on the dress.  Ugh -- why did she do that?  They were totally bad-taste IMO. And I'm sorry, when she took off the jacket, the top of the dress was a bit of a mess fit-wise.  Jeez, Korina had a pro ballet dancer -- they don't come much skinnier/no curves than that, and she still couldn't get the fit right.

As much as I don't get Emily's aesthetic (not into goth), I did think Emily had it nailed this week: Beautifully made, fitted well, and her client just loved it (and rocked it)

I didn't get the Kini love, other than he's a master class in sewing.  I didn't like the outfit at all, and I didn't think it was all that flattering: it certainly wasn't a one-of-a-kind wow outfit.

Have to say I did like Sean's outfit and thought his client looked fabulous.  I'm sorry we didn't get to see more of it.

Edited by DHDancer
  • Love 7

Man Tim really put the designers on the spot. No one could possibly say no and risk looking like a douche. Honestly she should have walked the runway holding her outfit together.

I was torn between Kini's and korina for the win. Amanda's was just sad. It made her models body look heavier than it was. But cute vest at least. Honestly I think Alexander went home because there was nothing salvagable about his look. With Chars, take off the pemblum part and a cute jacket and she could get by. With Amanda's, use the vest. But Alexander's needed to be burned.

• Love 6

Alexander AND Char should have gone home. The designers have no right to bitch though; they DID give her the extra time, but I agree with chitowngirl: Tim put them on the spot. They would have looked like jerks if they had said no, especially because the model was a regular person and not used to being exposed.

Amanda's dress was not good, but I liked the vest okay. She'll likely make it to final four which is fine with me because no one else excites me at all.

Korina's was, once again, nothing new. ANOTHER moto jacket. It's been done and done and done and I don't see that adding the plaid makes it that much special-er.

Sean bores the hell out of me. MORE fringe ffs.

I liked Kini's but I'm from Texas so we have an irrational love of denim anyway.

Emily's was okay... her client did love it. I still think it will be Emily and Char to leave before the final four unless Char UBER turns it around next week, which, based on her past performance, I just can't see.

Yikes, I will be glad when this season's over. It feels like it's been running for six months.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 8

I liked Kini's outfit. Emily's....not so much but her client liked it and that mattered to the judges. I loved Korina's jacket but the dress underneath was poorly sewn.

I think Alexander and Shar should have gone home. I thought both of there outfits were hideous (which seemed to be the popular word tonight).

• Love 3

...I'm betting Alexander still wins the fan vote next week. Because it would make as much sense as anything else this season.

And I agree with Tim allowing Char to have the time bc it was not a professional model, but that should have been on him only (instead of a lame vote that no one -- not even the most evil of contestants-- would have said no to) and it should have been disclosed to the judges before the designers even came out. You cannot have Zach. Remarking on tape or other flaws and then defend a broken zipper. In real life of course you would have the extra time, but this is the last stages of a competition. Just not fair. And I give Alexander credit for not saying anything on the runway or even in the stew room. Tim showed his bias here a little I think. For someone else, he may have handed the model a towel to cover herself up.

• Love 3

Shut up, Korina. Shut up shut up shut up shut up! Believe me, cookie, you are not one tenth as talented and wonderful as you think you are, and the over-weening conceit is getting very tiresome.

So, Char's muse somehow inveigled her into designing an adult version of Sandhya's pre-teen peplum onesie? Ugh. But if the zipper actually broke, as opposed to falling out of the seam, then I don't think it was such a big deal she had a chance to sew it back in.

I thought Sean's look was matronly and boring and a weak 80s imitation. But at least it was well-made and it fit, so I guess "safe" was the right call.

Loved Emily's look, and Kini's look and how happy they made the models. I would have given either of them the win over Korina's silly figure-skating practice dress covered by another imitation 80s jacket look. Heck, choosing those boots alone should have disqualified her for the win. Shut up, Korina.

I can't think of a single thing Alexander has made that I liked, so no sadness in seeing him leave. I did think Tim crossed the line with the critique. I seem to remember him being very emphatic during UTG about how a mentor should NEVEREVER tell a mentee what to do. He was, in fact, quite pissy to Nick when Nick even approached that territory. But suddenly it's OK to instruct Alexander to scrap his design and start over?

Amanda's work is boring, derivative and usually technically flawed in some way, but it wasn't as bad as Alexander's or Char's. Close though. Her model very nearly showed her ass to the PR viewing audience.

And one last time, shut UP, Korina.

• Love 17

Although I don't think Char is going to make it much further, but the contestants SHUT UP about her getting another 10 minutes to put in a zipper after the client split it. Invisible zippers do that. If they were in her shoes, they'd all want the others to have said the same thing. I bet even if Tim pulled the contestants away from the muses they all would have said yes, because they would want the same considerations. The zipper was already there, it's not like her design wasn't finished.

Sorry Alexander, even with your limited time after scrapping your first design, you should have been able to come up with something better than that, especially with a basic skirt like that.

Edited by ellystar
  • Love 5

I'm glad Alexander got the auf. His look was hideous. Wonder who the fan favorite will be next week?

I don't really like Korina, but I did love her outfit this week and I'm happy that she won this challenge. Kini's was cute, but Korina's was really striking with that royal blue and black combination. Amanda's was ugly and poorly constructed. I felt sorry for her model. I was glad that Zac stuck up for Emily. Her dress was at least interesting and looked great on her model. Didn't like Char's at all, except for the color. Sean's didn't make much of an impression on me.

Even though these "ordinary women" weren't heavy, you'd think that these designers would begin to see that they need to use more sense in designing for real women who are not runway models. Not everybody wants to go out in public displaying tons of skin. Everyone's thighs don't look good in short shorts. If your midriff isn't firm, you don't want it hanging out for all to see. As for Alexander's model, I wished they would have done something with the color of her hair. That platinum blonde was not flattering to her skin tone.

Overall, I'm pleased with this week's results. Looks like there's going to be plenty of drama next week.

• Love 5

Oh no. Who will win fan favorite now??????

My thoughts exactly. Let's go random and say Char.

Emily's was a little La Isla Bonita Madonna video for me, but her client really liked it and that should have been taken into consideration.

Oh, I was waiting with bated breath to see if the blurred faced people or the people from central casting would say yes. A ballerina? Really now.

Was this an advertisement for or against Mary Kay?

OH! And Heidi should never try acting again! "Why are we waiting? What is the reason for us waiting for the show to begin?"A regular Brando, that Heidi.

Edited by rustyspigot
  • Love 17

Everyone stop whining about Shar being saved, you all gave her the extra 10 minutes!!!!   And the zipper broke, it wasn't like it wasn't sewn in properly. I think giving her extra time was the right thing to do especially since the model wasn't a professional, but a civilian and asking her to walk the runway like that would be cruel.

This. I think that is what Tim said in his explanation as well, that if it was one of their models fine, but since it is a woman off the street she should not have to walk the runway like that. I was fine with him giving Char the extra ten for that reason. I know the question put the designers in a rough place, but could they stop bitching? I would have been fine if one politely spoke up, because it is a competition, but they didn't, so move on already.

Korina was annoying before, but this episode she was over the top irritating. She could not compliment anyone's look in her TH critique of everyone. I knew once she had her tall, thin ballerina that she would win. I am so over Korina's jackets with almost an afterthought of a garment underneath.

I loved Kini's look. It fit his model so well. I am so glad he found some inspiration. 

For me, Alexander has been a non-entity, that is why I never understood the fan favorite. What has he done? At least I can remember some of the things Char has done, though a lot have been horrible, but at least I remember.

• Love 11

Tim telling Alexander he was one of the most talented designers EVER on Project Runway. What with the what now? I guess Tim has been voting for him as favorite designer.

I was with Heidi on Korina's look - too 80's. I really liked Emily's but c'mon, she didn't anticipate that criticism? I said to my dogs, it looks like a cha cha dress.

As others have noted amazing how this "real person" challenge resulted mostly all in tall, thin women being chosen. And how the designers clearly don't know how to deal with butts, so many of those skirts were way shorter in the back than the front.

Edited by TexasGal
  • Love 17

I thought Amanda was the narrator this season, which was annoying enough. Now Korina is doing the narration. She can't get off my screen fast enough. She's a really nasty person. I feel like I can't fairly judge anything she makes because I detest her. And I'm surprised they didn't call her out for making yet another of those jackets.

I wouldn't have been upset if Char had been sent home, but I don't think it was unfair for her to get to sew the zipper back in. I was pleasantly surprised that the judges brushed it off, but I agreed with them. And the designers complaining about it can't really complain when they had a chance to speak up. Yes, they may have looked bad for nixing the extra time, but they had a chance to do so and chose not to. And Tim did disclose what happened.

I thought Sean was a bit mean to the regular person who he told was too short to be his muse. Maybe it irked me because I'm very short, I don't know. I would've been thrilled if someone had chosen a heavier girl. But we all know that designer would have had no chance to win.

• Love 13

I think if a zipper broke on a garment during a regular challenge with the models, it would have just been a too bad situation for Char. I'm sure the only reason Tim intervened was not Char love but to be kind to the model. She had given up her time and was promised an experience on the runway. She couldn't possibly walk the runway with her butt hanging out. I do understand the frustration of the other designers, but I think they need to be sensitive to the situation with the muses. I also don't think that Char is talented enough to make it to Fashion Week. I'll apologize if I'm wrong, but she really hasn't done anything that's wowed me so far. Then again, neither have some of the other contestants who are still here.

• Love 15

I think I have some idea why Alexander won fan favorite every week. He is a student in the design program at Columbia College in Chicago and I guess many of the students watch the show and probably have been voting for him.

My cousin who goes there sees Alexander all the time on campus and he says, yes, his mouth is always open.

• Love 8

I feel bad for Alexander, but that outfit really didn't fit her well. The skirt seemed too short and too high-waisted, and the top didn't fit her well. Made me sad, because how heartbreaking to hear Tim Gunn say such terrible things about his first outfit, and I hoped he might be able to come up with something to make it to the next round, it seemed like he had an idea that would work, but in the end it didn't look good. I think he chose terrible (way too heavy) fabrics and that's what killed him and his vision.

I thought maybe they'd send Char packing because of the whole zipper fiasco, but Zac was surprisingly kind about it: "Zippers break, it happens." I thought that was decent and understanding of him to say. And I imagine it's true. I wonder how many designers have had fashion emergencies on runway day and had to do some quick fixes because something happens to break?

• Love 5

Emily's was a little La Isla Bonita Madonna video for me, but her client really liked it and that should have been taken into consideration.

This is the best comment in the thread. With a few less ruffles, it would have been lovely. It fit her model very well. I thought some of the other outfits had fit issues.

It was Alexander's time to go. Seems like a nice kid but nothing he did was noteworthy.

And, yes, shut up, Korina. She has created some nice pieces but she isn't as talented as she thinks she is. From the way this is going, I guess we are stuck with her - and her unusually large mouth - until the bitter end.

• Love 2

Alexander's was bad, but I really thought Char should have gone home. She's shown nothing of interest - that thing she made today, which I cannot imagine anyone wearing in the real world anywhere, seemed representative of her other work: a single bright color, peplum, dated, and tasteless. I get that she got stuck on the fact that the woman's husband is a rock musician, but has she ever been to an actual show? I can't imagine anyone even vaguely connected to the music industry wearing that outside of an 80s music video.

I would have picked Emily for the win for the reasons Zac gave, but other than hers, I found all the looks lackluster at best. (Despite the fact that all the "muses" were young (or young-ish), thin women, which of course is the designers' usual excuse for doing such a piss-poor job on the "real women" challenges.)

• Love 6

I forgot to mention what really annoyed me about zippergate was the way Char tried to deflect the entire blame onto her model. I mean, what the hell happened between the fitting and the actual pre-runway that the shorts got so tight the zipper gave way????

And then she said to the model who was kind enough to let her make a garment for her, by the way, "you bust the zipper." NIce grammar, too.

I'm so sorry Tim wasted his save on her. She has done nothing to impress me, personally, at all. Even her outfit which was praised last week was so referential of what the doll was wearing I couldn't believe the judges liked it so much.

I hope she goes next week.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 23

I thought Sean was a bit mean to the regular person who he told was too short to be his muse. Maybe it irked me because I'm very short, I don't know. I would've been thrilled if someone had chosen a heavier girl. But we all know that designer would have had no chance to win.

At least it was a level playing field: they had only themselves to blame for their choice of models vs having models foisted on them.   i also thought it was less interesting that they chose thin-ish, tall-ish models but I can't blame them.

UGH!!!! What a terrible runway and what a terrible winner. I've been driving myself crazy trying to think of who Korina reminds me of and think I've finally got it ... a bad knock off of Phoebe Cates.

She can't get off my screen fast enough. It seemed like she had every talking head tonight and was particularly nasty in her comments.

This season's designers are really a talentless bunch. Maybe that is why we are stuck with so much manufactured drama. It really is becoming the Tim Gunn show - all of the fringe teasing in the previously scenes and the way over the top exchange with Alexander. The Char-gate was another excuse to put Tim front and center. I used to really like him, these days he just seems like a plant. I'm also getting really, really sick of the "Kini is lost" storyline we've gotten for the last few weeks. In the absence of anything interesting in the designs, designers or the challenges, this filler is really grating on my nerves.

This is usually such an exciting time in the season, all I'm wondering now is when does it end!?!?!

• Love 6

Why couldn't Tim just give everyone the extra 10 minutes?  I bet all of them could've found a few things to tweak while Char was putting in the zipper.

Yes, Alexander's first look was hideous, but so was his 2nd.  Telling him he HAD to rework the whole thing was over the top.  Tim could've just said he didn't like the fabric combination and left it at that.  Alexander looked pretty dumbfounded upon hearing the bad critique (well, more than usual).  If he truly couldn't see the hideousness of it, then that's on him, and that's where Tim should've left it.

• Love 11

Yeah, I'm thinking that's not so much an issue when the designers are being followed by video camera operators and production people standing by with schedules and release forms to hand out to the women who say they'll do it.

• Love 2

I feel like Mychael Knight from Season 3 used to make a lot of short shorts outfits (like Char), but his fit much better. It's been a long time since I've seen that season but I can recall him doing something very Pam Grier / Foxy Brown-like that I think was a big hit with the judges. This outfit by Char, however, was regrettably not that sophisticated. 

• Love 3

Well, considering the designers were followed around by a camera crew, I think anyone approached could safely assume it was legit.

Can I just say that the women chosen didn't need much in the way of a makeover.  All of them were thin, all were fairly pretty.  Why didn't the designers opt to show how creative and skillful they can be by transforming someone who's a little overweight or not conventionally good looking?

• Love 10

I agree it would have been easy to give everyone the extra ten minutes.... but overall, I'm not bother by Char's getting extra time. It sounded like something happened with the 'client' unzipping it too far or something which led to the breaking of the zipper? I'm not exactly sure, but it sounded like that was part of the issue... so a malfunction as opposed to a design flaw as others have said... and really, I believe Tim in that if it had been one of the regular models, she wouldn't have got the extra time. Having these be 'real' women... even if it seemed like the stocked the park with tall thin women with three random days to spare... they aren't models and don't deserve to be exposed on the runway.

I don't think it's going to keep Char in the competition, and though the "where are they? why haven't we started?"  and Heidi's asking Tim at the last second to explain why they started late both reeked of being staged moments, I don't think there was any way the judges weren't going to be told about Char getting an extra ten minutes to fix her zipper and they were able to take that into consideration for judging.

I think Alexander still deserved to go, despite that... since his outfit was terrible. And Tim was right about his first look, too... it was horrible!! That combination of color/fabric and shapes was just... ew!

I'm not a huge Korina fan and I'm so sick of the moto jacket... but I can see why she was in the top. I still would have picked Kini or Emily for the win though. Sean's dress was pretty, but kind of boring. I agree with judges on the bottom looks. Amanda's outfit was just plain bad. Ugh... that fabric was not good and she didn't match up the stripes in any kind of a good pattern... I feel bad for the models of those icky outfits. I did like the color of Char's though.

Overall, it wasn't a terrible episode.. but they do have so much filler... just get to the runway already!

• Love 4
I liked Korina's outfit but I cannot believe NOONE commented on those incredibly badly placed short/upcuts front and back on the dress.  Ugh -- why did she do that?  They were totally bad-taste IMO. And I'm sorry, when she took off the jacket, the top of the dress was a bit of a mess fit-wise.  Jeez, Korina had a pro ballet dancer -- they don't come much skinnier/no curves than that, and she still couldn't get the fit right.

I saw those upcuts (is that what those are called?), and thought I must have imagined them when the judges never mentioned it.  What are those, and why were they there?  They were very distracting.

• Love 4

I'm glad Alexander got the auf. His look was hideous. Wonder who the fan favorite will be next week?

I don't really like Korina, but I did love her outfit this week and I'm happy that she won this challenge. Kini's was cute, but Korina's was really striking with that royal blue and black combination. Amanda's was ugly and poorly constructed. I felt sorry for her model. I was glad that Zac stuck up for Emily. Her dress was at least interesting and looked great on her model. Didn't like Char's at all, except for the color. Sean's didn't make much of an impression on me.

Even though these "ordinary women" weren't heavy, you'd think that these designers would begin to see that they need to use more sense in designing for real women who are not runway models. Not everybody wants to go out in public displaying tons of skin. Everyone's thighs don't look good in short shorts. If your midriff isn't firm, you don't want it hanging out for all to see. As for Alexander's model, I wished they would have done something with the color of her hair. That platinum blonde was not flattering to her skin tone.

And they makeup stylist kept going on and on about her "great" eyebrows.  Sorry, I didn't like them with both her pale skin and the bad bleach job of her hair.  And Alexander's taste in colors/patterns is all in his mouth.

• Love 7

I don't for a second believe that these people weren't already chosen in some degree and probably scattered about the park for the designers to find given how horribly bad the scripting of this show is.

You could've knocked me down with a feather when the words "Too short" actually came from Heidi's mouth this week.

I'm still trying to figure out which person Tim Gunn pissed off because they're really crafting a storyline of him being not the greatest mentor and trying to sell it it hardcore now.

• Love 9

I would have given the win to Kini.  His look was adorable and really suited his client.  

Korina just makes the same thing every week.  Plus, her attitude annoys the heck out of me.  Please make her go away!

I like Amanda, but I would not wear that particular ensemble to take out my garbage.

I liked Emily's look, but it was just too busy.  Those sleeves took away from the beauty of the skirt.

Shar's look did nothing for her client.  I would have eliminated her and kept poor Alexander.

No one is blowing me away this year.  

• Love 1

Everyone stop whining about Shar being saved, you all gave her the extra 10 minutes!!!!   And the zipper broke, it wasn't like it wasn't sewn in properly. I think giving her extra time was the right thing to do especially since the model wasn't a professional, but a civilian and asking her to walk the runway like that would be cruel.

Also I'd argue that Tim "saved" Alexander when he told him how horrible his original outfit was. The joke was on Alexander because both versions were crap.

Not that I think Char's an excellent designer, but it took her, what, 5-10 minutes to sew on a new zipper? They were using regular women not models. They can suck it up for this one episode.

I guess they need someone else to backstab since Sandhya was sent home last week. Anytime Korina wants to fall out a window, I'm game. She's a nasty little person. I doubt the producers need to prod many reactions out of her. She's an unpleasant person with an overinflated sense of self and her designs.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 7

Google 1950s majorette and you'll see outfits that look a lot like Korina's winning design. I wasn't impressed. I don't think anyone was as impressed as Korina herself. I hate  that she expected to win and didn't mind telling you so.

I want to see a "get out of your comfort zone" challenge. Tell Char she can't use a peplum or bright colors. Kini can't make a dress. Amanda can't go retro or boho. Emily can't do...whatever the hell she does every week. And so on.

I always feel sorry for the women/muses in these real women challenges. They're so excited to play model for the day and score some designer duds custom made for them...and then their designers hand them an ugly, unflattering, steaming pile of poo that they have to model for the world to see, and then listen to the judges tear it, and them, down. They say don't take it personally, but I imagine most of them do anyway. At least they all seemed to get a good hair and makeup makeover.

Edited by bentley
  • Love 17