Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E01: I Must Have Lost It On The Wind

• Start Topic

With Cristina gone, a new doctor, Maggie Pierce, making the rounds and Derek wanting to move to Washington DC, Meredith struggles to regain a sense of normalcy both at home and in the hospital. Meanwhile, Callie and Arizona come to a decision about surrogacy, Amelia overhears a big secret, Bailey realizes she will have to fight Alex for Cristina’s board seat and a freak accident causes two teenagers to be caught in a very compromising position.

Promo:

http://youtu.be/sZYRpAuV2cI

Clip:

• Love 2

I'll be interested to see how they deal with Meredith and Derek - he's given up many things for her, including his research and a job at Harvard. She acts as though he's been unwilling to make sacrifices for her, but it's not the case.

• Love 1

I'm anxious for the new season to start.  Grey's has always been a favorite of mine.  I know that I will miss Cristina, as I have missed the other characters who have left or been killed off, but there are still characters to root for, especially Meredith and Alex.

• Love 1

Ok, so who else thought the helicopter would cut off someone's arm ala Romano from ER? Just me?

It a bad episode but not great either.

And no way would 3 doctors transfer a patient. That's what transporter are for!

Forgot to add, was that Geena Davis? I never pay attention to credits.

• Love 4

I like Alex and Meredith bonding, but I have to say I agreed with Jo that Alex shouldn't have let Meredith kick her out of bed.  But I do hope Alex gets Christina's board seat.  I am really tired of Bailey.

I'm undecided on whether I like the new sister.

I cannot be the only one having a flashback to Romano's untimely death on ER right now.

Yes, I was thinking the exact same thing.

Forgot to add, was that Geena Davis? I never pay attention to credits.

I thought it looked like her, but I was surprised to have not heard about her getting cast.

Let’s dive right in. Cristina Yang was my favorite character on the series. Sandra Oh was the best actress and she constantly fought for strong material that would challenge her abilities. The result was Shonda Rhimes’ most multi-dimensional character to date. (Know that I’m not knocking Rhimes. The woman knows how to write highly rated television.) This is the first episode without the show’s most beloved character. And while I — along with many other fans — spent a lot of last season worrying about what the show would be like without her, I must admit: I didn’t miss her. Why? Well, there are still too many characters and too many story lines. So there wasn’t time. I’m sure as the weeks roll on, I’ll miss the many ways in which both the actress and the character made the series seem better than it usually is.

The show has been on for almost ten years, and with any series that has had this much longevity — especially one confined to the walls of a hospital — there’s going to be a lot of storyline recycling. That truism was especially present in the series premiere. As usual, there was a small disaster on the GSMH premises. Not a shooter, or a bomb, or a flood; a hospital bed that fell off the roof and hit a car in the parking lot. As usual, there was some mild titillation, as the unlucky saps in the car were caught engaging in some sort of sexual activity. Yawn. We’ve seen all this before, right? There was nothing new on the medical front. Nothing new. Meanwhile, Meredith and Derek are having more problems. And as usual, they spent most of the time avoiding each other until their obligatory shared scene in the sixth act. This story has basically been going on since the middle of last season, and it’s tiring. I’m happy to see them get a storyline, but again, if this is a ploy to get Dempsey more time off, then just do it and stop dragging this out. Derek, like several of the males on this show, has never been a well-developed character. I’m not sure if there is ANY storyline that could make Meredith and Derek interesting at this point (they’ve been boring since Season Six), but if there is, I implore the writers to find it. This isn’t cutting it. As usual.

Rhimes’ other favorite couple, Callie and Arizona, seem to be going through a story that Bailey and Ben already went through. One member of the couple is essentially going back to school. As I’ve said before, the writers never fully repaired the damage done to the Callie/Arizona relationship. I think they know this, and I think this baggage will come back to haunt them. As for this particular storyline, which sees the introduction of a scary-looking Geena Davis, it’s a little too unimaginative for these usually kooky Grey‘s scribes. Speaking of unimaginative, the other two “powerhouse couples,” who each at one time or another have been used as the series’ requisite “on-again/off-again” pair, seem to be in periods of low or cheaply manufactured drama. Jackson and April didn’t scream at each other tonight. And while I’ve never rooted for them (nor will I ever — because I’ve never been implored to organically) care about them) I hate to see them sucking up airtime with their poorly written squabbles.

That brings us to Jo. She and Amelia, who was mercifully used infrequently this episode, are tied in my mind as the show’s most annoying characters. They were both “try hard” figures. The writers were working overtime to make the characters “sassy” and “bold” and “interesting.” In short, they came on too strong. So then the writers tried to reverse that. The result, as always, is a cheap and inconsistent character. I will reserve judgement on Amelia’s place in this series, but I probably won’t ever like Jo. Of course, the writers make not liking her an easy task; stuck in another trite storyline, in which Meredith and Alex’s friendship is impeding on her relationship with Alex, Jo is little more than a time waster, just like all the interns in her class. (Thank heavens were only down to two now.) As for Meredith and Alex being stuck in this storyline, my only reaction is disappointment that the series still feels the need to do this “crawling into bed with friends” bit. Haven’t they taken pains to express how much these characters have grown? While I have always liked the Meredith and Alex friendship and agree that they should grow even closer now that Cristina is gone, I have a hard time believing characters this “evolved” (as the writers would like us to believe) would behave like they did in Season Two. Simply: it’s dumb.

Another familiar storyline that looks like it will be dragged out is the competition between Bailey and Alex for Cristina’s seat on the board. While these machinations were dramatic gold on a series like Private Practice, this kind of plot just doesn’t work with this show. The board drama is not engaging. In fact, it has produced some of this series’ weakest episodes. (See mid Season Nine.) The chief resident stuff was interesting seven years ago, the hospital ownership B.S. is not. Other beats that I feel like I’ve seen before are the males attempt to bond with Owen. This show has never written male interactions logically. This is a show by women for women. (Yes, there are male writers. But the tone of the show usually suppresses the episodes from ever feeling “masculine” in the traditional sense of the word.) And while, this feminine slant is far from being a hinderance for the series (see the demographics), all of the men’s scenes together come off stilted and artificial. The dialogue rings false. And that never seems to change.

Of course, the biggest case of storyline recycling is Meredith vs. the sister she didn’t know about. Rhimes maintain that this storyline was always going to happen. And I believe her (although, I do think they toyed with having it be a brother when Lexie was still around). But this beat is not unlike Lexie’s addition to the show at the top of Season Four. In fact, the parallels are too much. Not surprisingly, this episode’s mission was to put Meredith and her half-sis at odds. And while I don’t have a problem with that development, I think the scene with them fighting was overkill. Not only is this indicative of the Grey‘s writers insulting the audience’s intelligence by telegraphing a story point (even after it has already played out on screen), it also it reeks of recycled beats — the kind that have been played back in 2007 with Lexie.

But I know the show is now committed to the storyline, and I’ll have to grin and bear it. So my only request is a simple one: make this unlike the Meredith-Lexie relationship. Let their friendship (or temporary lack thereof) develop organically. Don’t have them go from “She’s not my sister” to “You’re my sister” without any motivated development. (As Meredith and Lexie did sometime in between 5×08 and 5×20.) The Lexie storyline, as it pertained to Meredith, was a bust. Since they are basically doing it over again, this is their chance to get it right. If the series accomplishes this, I will be pleased.

I am sure that all of my complaints in this post have made it seem like I didn’t like the season premiere. That’s not true. I liked it okay; I just thought it was familiar and boring. The episode, like most season opener’s, gave a lot to Meredith. And as regular readers know, I believe this is a key ingredient to the show’s success. I think if the show keeps Meredith in the center, even if all of the peripheral stories are things we’ve already seen before, the show will at least maintain the mediocrity for which it has become known as of late. Yes, it’s mediocre, but it really isn’t bad. In fact, this episode illustrates the strength of the series’ production team: picking the stories up where they left off — in a realistic and (largely) organic way. That’s quite a feat for a series this seasoned. So, though I wasn’t thrilled, I wasn’t disappointed. I hope it at least continues this way.

• Love 3

Yes, it was Geena Davis, and seriously, show? A rooftop on which helicopters land in all kinds of weather doesn't have a guard rail around the perimeter? Please.

Nope, a helicopter landing pad does not have a fence around it. That's just asking for a tail rotor entanglement and then you've got flaming helicopters falling out of the sky instead of gurneys.

• Love 3

I didn't like Meredith kicking Jo of bed, so that she could talk to Alex. I did like Alex telling her that he would be her person, though (and offering to talk *before* he goes to bed).

I didn't really feel any excitement for the show starting again. I like the actors together, so I'll keep watching, but I don't like yet another sister being created for Meredith to first hate, and possibly love later on. I like the actress who plays Pierce, so it's a shame that they brought her on for that role. I didn't like Meredith tonight.

Would it kill Bailey to just be happy for Alex? She used to say that she raised them - she blamed herself for Izzie going off the rails with Denny - and now she just sees them as competition. Sad.

Edited by Anela
  • Love 1
Rhimes’ other favorite couple, Callie and Arizona, seem to be going through a story that Bailey and Ben already went through. One member of the couple is essentially going back to school. As I’ve said before, the writers never fully repaired the damage done to the Callie/Arizona relationship. I think they know this, and I think this baggage will come back to haunt them.

Not only is she going back to school (where she meets other women to cheat with?), she wants to do that with a (potential) new baby in the house.  I'd be giving that some more thought if I were Callie. Maybe they can wait on the baby. 

I liked that scene between Jackson and the Chief. 

I still don't care for Jo, but Alex and Meredith are working for me.

• Love 1

Is this the first we've heard of Ellis' suicide attempt?  I took a few seasons off a few years ago.  Are we supposed to believe that Ellis was depressed about giving up her child?  I don't believe it.  I could see her slashing her wrists to get Richard's attention.

I was surprised that Webber has an addiction issue.  I missed that too.  Was he at AA or NA?

I don't mind Meredith having another sister.  I'm a sucker for that kind of thing.  I love that Richard has a child.  I just don't believe that that mealy-mouthed woman has Ellis Grey's DNA.  She seems too much like Lexie - soft spoken, sweet, easily pushed around.  They need to fill a hole that Cristina once filled, not the one that Lexie left.

I didn't mind Meredith kicking Jo out of Alex's bed.  It's silly, but then these people aren't really mature - as evidenced by the fact that Meredith and Derrick were at a bar after work, rather than with their children.

I thought they were obviously telegraphing someone being killed by the helicopter.  Since neither Meredith or her sister are leaving the show, I thought Owen was going to bite the dust.

I like Gina Davis very much in comedy, but she came of as a little joyless and intimidating.  It doesn't help that she's six feet tall - which is taller than any actor on that show.

Is this the first we've heard of Ellis' suicide attempt?  I took a few seasons off a few years ago.  Are we supposed to believe that Ellis was depressed about giving up her child?  I don't believe it.  I could see her slashing her wrists to get Richard's attention.

It came up in season 4 during Meredith therapy sessions.

I was surprised that Webber has an addiction issue.  I missed that too.  Was he at AA or NA?

Ellis' suicide attempt has been brought up before, but I forget which season. It was when Mere and Derek were broken up and he was dating Rose the nurse. It came up during Mere's therapy with Amy Madigan (who was awesome).

Richard's an alcoholic, that was established a long time ago. I assume that was an AA meeting.

I don't mind the sister thing either, though it's a little silly. I'm willing to see where it goes.

This was actually a big storyline awhile back; he's has alcoholism. It's how Derek ended up as Chief for some time, and realized it wasn't the career path he wanted to take. I think Mercy West was introduced at the end of that story.

I've decided for myself that in the post-Cristina era, 90% of the episodes will be crap, but 10% might be okay. That 10% this episode was Mer and Alex bonding, the bald boy and girl, the desert man's family coming back, and a brief sighting of someone I thought was Geena Davis who actually turned out to be Geena Davis.

Couldn't care less about Meredith's overdramatic sister, or Richard, or Amelia. And already Bailey is throwing tantrums. I want to see a gurney flatten her smug ass at some point.

• Love 2

Ellis' suicide attempt was revealed in S4, as choclatechip45 said.

Richard's alcoholism was revealed in S2 or S3 when a patient named Ollie turned out to be Richard's AA sponsor.  It became a major story arc for him in S6.

I was convinced that the helicopter was going to crash ala ER.  That was the first thing out of my mouth when that scene started.

I'm loving Mer/Alex, and cracked up at Mer kicking Jo out of bed.  Memories of Cristina kicking Derek out of bed to talk to Mer.

Did Geena Davis' mouth move at all when she spoke?  Her face looked to me like it had been carved out of wax.

Still don't like Maggie.

Sure hope that Alex gets the seat on the board.  I've been over Bailey for several seasons, which makes me sad because I used to love her.  Did anyone else notice her pull out hand sanitizer and wash her hands after she shook hands with Alex in the "may the best surgeon win" sequence?  Classic OCD behavior which leads me to wonder if that storyline will rear its head again and be a factor in the board seat storyline.

The whole episode was like season 4 redux to  me:

Ellis' suicide attempt revisited.

Maggie=Lexie

Car wreck="Crash Into Me" ambulance wreck

Last, but not least...  Anatomy Jane!  So cool to see young Mer with her!  Nice continuity on TPTB's part.

• Love 4

When the gurney was heading to the edge of the roof, I felt like I was supposed to put on 3D glasses.

Kind of glad Dr. Muffyn wasn't home for this episode.  I can here him now, "They could do the echo while the surgeons are scrubbing in!"  "Save the kidney and lose the heart - that'll work!"  "He can't go to surgery until they've cleared him."  

This episode felt very classic Grey's.  Over the top.  People acting like idiots.  Miscommunication.  Incredibly unsubtle conversation.  Incredibly inappropriate conversations.  A miracle any patients survived.  I'm in! 

• Love 2

Ok, I did miss that then.  I had taken a few seasons off watching the show when Jackson and April came on the show, and when Owen and then Teddy came on.  I missed Cristina and Owen's PTSD, which seems like a good thing, because most people who seem to hate Owen, talk about that part of their relationship.

It took me forever to like Meredith.  I actually watched the whole "Meredith dies" episode hoping that she stayed dead!  I always liked her with Cristina, but having this little mousy girl be a man-eater with every man falling at her feet was nauseating.  I also didn't like how she treated her father and Lexie.  I don't think there was a man alive who was strong enough to fight Ellis for Meredith.   Heck, she even managed to cut Richard out of their daughter's life.  I just despise Ellis, and it's always made me question Richard's character.  Not because he cheated on his wife (which did suck), but because he must have seen what horrible mother she was, and how unpleasant she was in general.   

I was moved by the flashback of Meredith's horrendous childhood.  I can't believe Meredith wasn't sent to her father after Ellis' suicide attempt.  The fact that she attempted to kill herself knowing her daughter would find her, makes her that much more despicable to me.

• Love 2

Meredith and Alex has always been one of my favorite relationships. So I'm excited for their relationship to get some focus.

I've always loved how sweet Meredith is to Alex. At the hospital they are the last 2 standing so it's fun to see him be her person, and vice versa now. When she told twit, I mean Jo, to get up I cheered. She's new to the party and she better get on board. I do wonder though how the board seat fight will be dealt with. Meredith named her son after Bailey, and they have become more friends over the years, than colleagues.

I cannot be the only one having a flashback to Romano's untimely death on ER right now. 

I tweeted the same thing. Helicopters, wind, and heli-pads never turns out well on ER or Chicago Hope. I figured though it would be Mere, well b/c she's Mere, and not the horny teenagers below. I thought it was only horror movies, 7th Heaven, and the Duggars who punish teenage fornicating. New Shonda rule to take note of.

Another sister?  Really?

I've been calling her Lexie the sequel. I so don't care about the will she or won't she be accepted by Meredith dance, we are all about to have to endure. Now I do think the more equal nature of the positions they have will impact the situation, but not sure I care. Lexipedia was sweet, and fun, but this 1 is going to be carrying so much baggage. And that's before she finds out Ellis sucked at Mommyhood, and Richard trots out his longing desire for daddyhood. Maybe that's the only interesting part. Richard has been trying to play Daddy to Mere since the Pilot. So where will he come down at when these 2 start going at each other. YMMV but I always assumed that 1 day it would come out that Richard was Mere's daddy anyways. So do w/that what you will.

And I realize that Molly wouldn't be related to new girl, but still...what in the hell ever happened to her? I remember when they were buying the hospital Meredith mentioned that Thatcher ok'd Mere spending his, thru Lexie's death money . But no mention of Molly. Is she upstairs w/the Cunningham boy from Happy Days, all the Martins' from AMC, and the middle sister from Family Matters?

• Love 5

I must be in a really awful mood tonight: I usually don't mind things that are bugging me now. I just thought Meredith was rude tonight. The beginning did move me, though.

I was confused by the ending. I didn't know if it was Meredith's wanting to be fair, or if she didn't want her husband around after all.

The Mercy West people arrived in 2009. Derek became Chief, but Richard arranged the merger, after he crashed his car, and was treated at Mercy West - not long before Derek was promoted. I think I'm remembering that correctly. Then the shooting happened Spring of 2010, and when they came back, McDreamy was having too much fun getting himself arrested for speeding, and returned the job to Richard.

Edited by Anela

I've always loved how sweet Meredith is to Alex. At the hospital they are the last 2 standing so it's fun to see him be her person, and vice versa now. When she told twit, I mean Jo, to get up I cheered. She's new to the party and she better get on board. I do wonder though how the board seat fight will be dealt with. Meredith named her son after Bailey, and they have become more friends over the years, than colleagues.

I really hope Arizona sticks up for Alex. I know she is friends with Bailey, but she has always stuck up for Alex except at the end of season 8/beginning of season 9.

• Love 3

Everybody is so tan!  I can't remember a season where so many people from so many different shows came back looking like they spent a month in the South Pacific (or got a dozen coats at Mystic Tan).

I get where Meredith is coming from with her reaction to Derek's change of heart, but what's he supposed to do, not change his mind until he's properly included her in the discussion about how he feels?

Could it be anymore obvious that Alex is going to blow Bailey away?  He's sincere and she's all cocky about how she's Bailey and he's Alex.  What she doesn't know is that he has somehow become more mature and dependable than she is.  He is a homeowner, after all.

Jo should commiserate with Derek over the whole getting kicked out of bed in favor of the "Person" situation.

Dr. Lovechild seems way too happy to ever really connect with Meredith.  As happy as Lexie seemed, she had enough secret pain to be able to relate to Meredith.

• Love 1

WORD to all those posters mentioning the end w/Meredith and Derek. I had forgotten that I was left wondering was she mad b/c she felt like he was going to have something to hold over her head? Or b/c she was disappointed at & for him giving something up he really wanted? Or pissed b/c she thought she was going to get to be alone, and be a bigger dog at the hospital? Or just worried that when things are good she always screws them up? WTF? To many damn "or's"? Either ambiguous acting choice or bad directing?

• Love 2

I was incredibly happy that Arizona is interested in becoming double board certified in neonatal. There's been a void in that since Addison left, and Arizona rarely gets patients that are supposed to be PEDS, so why not? She deserves a professional triumph for a change. And I just disregard the Bailey/Ben stuff because he's hardly around.

I didn't miss Yang as much as I thought I would. Perhaps because there was an overdose of her last season.

Mer/Alex is always welcome.

Bailey has been a mess for awhile, and keeps digging her own grave, so to speak.

Everyone else was just kind of there for me.

I think Meredith is worried that by staying Derek is going to end up resenting her, just as she said to Alex that she would have ended up resenting Derek if she had gone to DC with him. 

Also, I've been watching Season 5 over the past few days and I struggle to believe that Ellis didn't mention her pregnancy at all in those diaries of hers.

Edited by PrincessTT
  • Love 7

The love:

-Alex, Alex, Alex. I rarely saw a character's growth handled so well in all my years of watching TV. I still recognize the Evil Spawn from the beginning, but he grew out of it (his attitude with Bailey in the end) and the qualities that were there from the beginning developped. Happiness and (relative) wisdom suits him.

-Alex/Meredith, love their friendship. And Alex/Cristina, because she left him her seat and Meredith, and he'd better get the seat.

-It wasn't much, it's never on a lot, but I really like the Owen/April friendship. The guys scenes were good in this episode, too, Jackson/Owen akwardness and Derek/Owen snark.

-Jo. I like her, and love her and Alex (I went "aww" at the cuddling). And I found her very understanding. It was written for laughs, but still. She seemed to get that Mere and Alex are platonic friends, and just wanted her relationship with her boyfriend and her boundaries respected. I hope it will stay this way.

-Derek's decision. I do think, too, that Mere is afraid that he'll resent her the way her Mother did, and the way she would if she had had to go. But imo, Derek made this decision for himself, too. Hopefully, the compromise will work, because I really enjoyed their more mature relationship in the last two seasons.

The meh:

-Calzona. I'm one of the people for whom, as was said upthread, their relationship never recovered. I like them separately (I adore Callie) but together, not anymore.

-Geena Davis. But it's only the beginning.

-Maggie. Sorry, the new sister storyline is so stale now. If the writers really had it in store for so long, imo they missed the right timing. I think the actress is good and that's why I'm willing to give a chance to the character.

The hate:

-I can't believe how much I came to loathe Bailey. I would have been Team Alex anyway, but at the end of the episode, I regretted that they didn't pull a Romano with her.

So, it isn't season 1-3 type of excitement for me anymore, but watching this episode, I was thinking that it's still a pretty good show and it entertains me.

• Love 5

Oh, Maggie, you are a doctor. Please act like one. Stop staring at your secret sister and pay attention to the patient! And geez, talk about overreacting. Yes, Meredith is a total bitch for not skipping up to the new doctor, giving her a big hug, and telling her that she loves you like a sister.

I usually don't like the way everyone butts into everyone else's business unsolicited but I thought it was sweet that April was recruiting all the guys to be Owen's buddies. Even if he knows in his head that he and Cristina are over, she JUST left yesterday so it's understandable that he would be sad about her leaving and adjusting to her absence. It was thoughtful of April to try to give Owen some emotional support. Too bad all the guys she recruited were terrible at being subtle about it. Webber's Jenga offer was hilariously awkward.

• Love 6

Don't they usually do a jump forward a few months at the start of the season (or do an episode that takes place over a few months)? I wonder if they're skipping that this year so we don't miss Meredith finding out about Maggie, or if it'll happen later.

Last season (or was it the season before?) the first episode took place right after the previous season's finale but then they did a time jump in the following episode, so maybe they will do that again this year. It wasn't clear how much time had passed until Edwards specifically told Jo that Cristina just left yesterday. I would have been willing to believe that a few weeks had passed and that Meredith just hadn't met the new chick yet.

• Love 1

I think Mer's sister is just as stubborn as she is, they surely inherited that from their mother, while Lexi was more easy going. 

Are they gonna drag this "i'm not telling your are my sister/ I'm your father" thing all season?

I thought the norm when you taking an organ out is to place it on ice, that was so bad.

Yeah the helicopter scene, I though someone's arm was going to get chopped off.

Really? None of those three fools thought to run after the gurney? They just watch it go off the roof?

I wouldn't run to the edge of the roof of a tall building when it's very windy out, you might find yourself following the gurney,

• Love 2

I'm still really baffled at how the secret sister could possibly be the new Head of Cardiothoracic.  The way I'm putting together the timeline, Ellis left Seattle for Boston with little Meredith in tow after her suicide attempt (and I'm betting that's either related to her discovering she was pregnant or was when she found out she was pregnant).  It's been established that secret sister was born and raised in Boston.  Mer was what, 4, 5 years old when they left?  Young enough to not realize what it meant when Mommy's tummy got big, anyway.  Fast-forward to the recent past, Meredith has only been an Attending for a couple of years (her class took their boards at the end of S8, which I just watched in re-run...and hey, after watching the "light blue scrubs" years over the summer, it was a little weird to see them in the dark blues!).  Secret sister has to be at least 5 years behind her, career-wise, so how the hell is it possible that she now outranks Meredith, unless she was one of those prodigies that went to college at 11, and forgive me, but she doesn't seem THAT bright.  Cristina Yang, perhaps the brightest star in Meredith's year, just got a job as a department head, and even that's a little bit of a stretch, considering again that they've only been Attendings for TWO YEARS.  I'm going to stop thinking about it, or I'm going to have an aneurysm. 

• Love 8

That green screen roof scene was awful. It was comical it was so bad, if they don't have the budget to do it. Then don't do it. 

Meredith shows 2 kids and a house but she still hasn't changed. She's still all about Meredith. Derek has to give in again and sacrifice for her and for his family. 
What has she ever done to put him first before herself? 

Fake sister 2.0 is stupid plot.

• Love 2

Oh Romano.  I don't miss you.

Richard is probably my favorite character, so I'm happy to see James Pickens Jr. get to do some good work in this ep.  I don't know when he'll reveal, as that whole scene at the vending machine was so contrived, but someone will have to eventually.  Maybe Mer will tell her, since obviously she'll know right away.

I wouldn't advise thinking too hard about the 'younger sister already a department head' thing.  It's one of those 'just accept it, it's TV' items.

I actually enjoyed the episode, though I hadn't expected to. Predictable, but still good. I don't like Meredith much, but I think the younger sister was rather overreacting.  Doctors can have those arguments, and Maggie was the one who didn't insist on what she thought was best for the patient so that Mer would like her.  That's not something she can blame Mer for, especially since Mer did actually hear and respond to her requests, whereas she just childishly played the "I can't hear you" game.  Mer also stopped arguing and moved aside to let her work, though she wasn't happy. So far, not enjoying Maggie.  Maybe she's around to make us dislike Cristina-less Mer less. 

I'd really like to see Bailey get a non-annoying, super-competent get-it-done storyline. I feel like Shonda has been terrible to her the last few seasons.  Maybe that character has outlived the original role (mother to the interns) but Richard has transitioned well into new storylines post Chief, so I don't see why she can't.

Geena Davis' drop-in did not fit well into the episode.  And she did look rough. Do something else with her hair, maybe?

I thought April was fine, and not annoying at all, in this episode. I think Jackson did good work too.  The two of them are far better when they aren't fighting.

Honestly, I know this is a soap, but there are about 7 characters I vastly prefer when they aren't having any personal drama.  Amelia included - I like quietly competent Amelia.  I watched PP in its entirety only after it ended (I'm a latecomer to GA too, having watched the whole thing last summer.) and Druggie Amelia was irritating, but I like this Amelia fine.  And it might give Derek something new to do.

• Love 1

Adding to things i learned from watching GA:  when you need to tell someone their husband died, have two doctors just stare at the wife for a long time without saying anything until she starts to freak out.  Professional!  In one of the early seasons didn't we tackle this issue with the interns needing to learn to deliver this news - be direct, professional, compassionate but not maudlin, listen, find them support (or bring hospital support with you - social worker or chaplain, as appropriate).  I don't think stare intently at their face and play a game of twenty questions in which you provide no answers was the recommended method.  

Also, in the GA universe, yet again, phone do not exist.  If a patient is trying to die because he believes his wife and daughter are dead, and you find out they are alive, don't let him know.  Make him wait until they walk into the room.  Wouldn't want him to stop refusing treatment or eliminate the risk of him potentially hurting himself by pulling an IV or even the possibility that he would find a way to kill himself.  It's all worth it for the tear-filled reunion scene.  

Edited by Muffyn
  • Love 5

I'm still really baffled at how the secret sister could possibly be the new Head of Cardiothoracic... Secret sister has to be at least 5 years behind her, career-wise, so how the hell is it possible that she now outranks Meredith, unless she was one of those prodigies that went to college at 11, and forgive me, but she doesn't seem THAT bright.  Cristina Yang, perhaps the brightest star in Meredith's year, just got a job as a department head, and even that's a little bit of a stretch, considering again that they've only been Attendings for TWO YEARS.  I'm going to stop thinking about it, or I'm going to have an aneurysm. 

I agree that's it's very implausible, but it's mitigated slightly by the fact that Meredith didn't go straight to med school from college. She spent a couple of years, in her words, "sleeping around Europe." Cristina didn't, either, she went to grad school and got a Ph.D in...something that I've forgotten. Biochemistry?

Anyway, like I said, it's still implausible, but this show is a soap, and it's a losing game trying to reconcile timeline issues on a soap. If I can believe Derek Shepard has been the Best Neurosurgeon in the World for his entire career, I can roll with this.

• Love 1

I agree with everything the author said. Except I REALLY miss Teddy. She was the sanest doctor to ever work in this hospital. Now that Cristina is gone, I wish they bring back Teddy for Owen.

I've liked Kim Raver in other roles, but I couldn't stand Teddy.

I'm still really baffled at how the secret sister could possibly be the new Head of Cardiothoracic.  The way I'm putting together the timeline, Ellis left Seattle for Boston with little Meredith in tow after her suicide attempt (and I'm betting that's either related to her discovering she was pregnant or was when she found out she was pregnant).  It's been established that secret sister was born and raised in Boston.  Mer was what, 4, 5 years old when they left?  Young enough to not realize what it meant when Mommy's tummy got big, anyway.  Fast-forward to the recent past, Meredith has only been an Attending for a couple of years (her class took their boards at the end of S8, which I just watched in re-run...and hey, after watching the "light blue scrubs" years over the summer, it was a little weird to see them in the dark blues!).  Secret sister has to be at least 5 years behind her, career-wise, so how the hell is it possible that she now outranks Meredith, unless she was one of those prodigies that went to college at 11, and forgive me, but she doesn't seem THAT bright.  Cristina Yang, perhaps the brightest star in Meredith's year, just got a job as a department head, and even that's a little bit of a stretch, considering again that they've only been Attendings for TWO YEARS.  I'm going to stop thinking about it, or I'm going to have an aneurysm. 

I know that Meredith was a few years older than the rest of her group, so that would explain part of it, but not all.

The ambiguous ending was strange.  It was stranger that Derrick didn't seem to think anything was off about Meredith's reaction of immediately needing tequila.  You mean our family won't be split up?  You're telling me I won't have to be a single parent?  I need to get drunk to accept this.

I was completely confused about the guy in the helicopter.  He was somehow roaming somewhere for one to two months, yet never found his family or another human being.  His family was off somewhere for one to two months, and wasn't searching for him?  The whole thing was weird, and I didn't find it touching.

• Love 2