Type keyword(s) to search

S40.E01: Chris Pratt/Ariana Grande

• Start Topic

Speaking of Kyle Mooney, I find his hair annoying. What do you call that hairstyle? It's not a mullet, but it's really long and poofy in the back. What is it?

I call it the Dennis Miller:

a_610x408.jpg

Bad Boys was an incredible skit, hitting on all the right notes for me. Good Neighbor is the best when they get to go full Good Neighbor.

According to Entertainment Weekly, Bill Hader loved it, too:

Speaking of the Chris Pratt-hosted SNL premiere, Hader said he was very impressed by what he saw—especially a certain sketch. “That video that Kyle Mooney had made with Beck [bennett]? Oh my God, that video made me laugh so hard! God damn it, that was funny. Things like that, when you watch it, you just know, ‘Oh, yeah, I want to hang with these guys.'”
  • Love 1

I didn't think this episode was very good, which kind of stinks because I really like Chris Pratt and he's hilarious on Parks and Rec. That being said, there were some good moments - like the video game sketch. I also enjoyed the Weekend Update song to Obama.

I watched Michael Che on The Daily Show this past summer, so I got acclimated to him that way. I give him the benefit of the doubt for nerves and I think that within a few weeks, he'll do great. I actually think his style works for more for Weekend Update than the Daily Show.

I found Pete Davidson really funny and he stood out, on his first night, no less, in a way that no other new cast member has done for me before. It took Beck a few episodes to establish himself even. I liked Leslie Jones more last time. This time, I thought she yelled too much - I just really dislike it when people yell at me through the TV.

Was the "My Big Fat Ass" sketch supposed to be like the Josh Hutcherson skit? If so, it failed...partly because I didn't even know if those were real songs or just made up for the show.

Wow, they really got rid of like almost everyone from last year, didn't they? Except Kyle and Beck. I sorta hated Kyle last season but he grew on me after I recently finished watching Hello Ladies. That being said, I think his style of comedy works better on a show like that than SNL.

I liked Che looking annoyed. I think this is going to be part of his anchor character, and it made him more of a participant in the bit rather than just part of the audience laughing.

I could see that, though I viewed it the opposite way. Che was like a wall that nothing connected with as "girl at party" kept saying ridiculous things, like an annoyed, snooty neighbor. Meyers had fun with it, with little questions and comments. But that's how I would approach someone like that character, more as an amusement than an annoyance. Life is too short! I wonder if all of that is scripted or if Cecile makes up any of those malapropisms she delivers?

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 1
I wonder if all of that is scripted or if Cecile makes up any of those malapropisms she delivers?

Both I thought? In the sense that it's scripted, but I was under the impression she wrote it, so she would have come up with them herself. Just not on the spot.

Both I thought? In the sense that it's scripted, but I was under the impression she wrote it, so she would have come up with them herself. Just not on the spot.

Yeah, I don't know for an absolute fact, but it would shock me if she didn't write it.  I'm pretty sure it's a character she has been doing since her improv days.

I thought Colin Jost was much improved from last year, and the difference was simple. Last year, he had an unfortunate habit of giving a sly little smile at the end of his punchlines, as if he himself found the material funny, and (worse) as if he felt we needed help in realizing it was funny. That smile had the the opposite effect, because it took him out of character; also, nothing makes a joke unfunnier than someone signaling to you that it's funny. This episode, he played it straight. And as a consequence, his punchlines worked. (Not that every joke was a gem, but those in which the material was there went over well, because he no longer sabotaged them with that smile.) He must have watched his tapes over the summer--or someone got to him with some excellent advice.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 3

Where the heck was Kate this week? I don't think she was in one sketch. I'm glad that Cecily is not the co-anchor because I cannot stand her in that capacity. I thought when Michael Che wasn't nervous he was funny. I think he will do better as the weeks go on. Aidy is funny but they used her too much this week. Once again snl doesn't know when to end a sketch many of the sketches should have been a lot shorter. When I see Ariana I want to slap her and tell her to take the damn cat ears off. She isn't Kat anymore and she needs to grow the hell up. Also I don't mind her dressing sexy she's a cute girl but when it's how she sells herself to the public(instead of using her voice) then I'm done. It's lazy.

Edited by Dancingjaneway

It was good to see the Girl You Wish You Hadn't Started a Conversation With At a Party again but I was struck by how many of her lines would also work with Drunk Uncle.

I thought so too. I think SNL has developed a habit over the years of having characters where the joke is that they say the most outrageous things. Characters like the Girl at the Party, Drunk Uncle and also Stefon and Penelope. I think Stefon and Penelope continued to remain defined and unique, but when this is the premise for some of the other character they tend become very similar to each other. 

Also, too much Aidy. She doesn't have the range to pull off being featured so much.

• Love 1

You know, I'd never heard that thing about Ariana insisting that she only be shot from one side until people started bringing it up here, but I think it was really obvious during the He-Man sketch. She let us see her face for about a second and then let the massive wig fall in front of it for the rest of the sketch. Look, I get it, we all have insecurities, but this is kind of ridiculous. That side of her face cannot possibly be that horrifying. She was on Nickelodeon for how many years? I'm sure her face was shot at all different angles on Victorious and Sam & Cat and she didn't have the clout she has now to demand otherwise. Also, wouldn't it be more beneficial in the long run to embrace her "flaws" like every other female popstar out there right now and encourage body positivity?

It warms my heart that so many people want more Kate.

• Love 2

I thought it was a very funny show. I was disappointed at the lack of Kate, but maybe she had the flu or something. I mean, I can't think of any reason why they'd leave her out of the season premiere on purpose. I love Aidy, too. I love that she's not relegated to "fat girl" stereotypical roles, I love that she's confident in her sexuality. I love that she's front and center.

I think Michael Che will be great at WU once he gets acclimated. I am hoping they bump Colin back to the writer's room and either let Che do it solo or give him a different co-anchor.

I thought the other new guy, Paul or Peter or whatever his name is, was great, too. I took the joke in his piece to be about how some people are so homophobic, they set up insane scenarios in order to brag about how homophobic they are, and him saying it clearly means they don't love their families was just hilarious to me, and kind of a double-layered laugh.

I thought Pratt did fine as a host. He showed his range, and I don't mind that he disappeared into the cast. He was clearly game, did well at whatever they gave him, and was funny enough for me. I don't really need the host to dominate the focus, and he was a good ensemble player.

Nevermind the musical guest. I am just grateful they appear to be doing sound checks with the musical guests these days, before their live performances. Even if I don't like the performance, I at least appreciate that they are trying to make it sound like they did a mic check.

I don't think disliking the episode was about being too old for the show (I'm 49), and I do think they've been steering the humor in new directions, some of which I have to think about a little to get the full impact of what they're doing. But I like that. I find it funnier this way, and less annoying. This wasn't the best episode ever, but it was completely funny enough to keep me watching and had no skits I really didn't like, except the vet clinic-- why is it funny that all the animals are dead? Is there a punch line they keep forgetting to say? I mean, WTF?

With so many people stumbling over their lines, I wondered if there was a problem with the cue cards this week. Michael was clearly having newbie nerves, but Aidy doesn't usually have this problem.

• Love 3
I rewatched the episode and it did seem like a lot of people were messing up lines. I'm sure Lorne was really not happy about that. I'll give Michael a pass since it was his first time and all that but Aidy did seem really nervous. Maybe because she was in like every other sketch?  Who knows. But they did use ber a lot and I'm afraid this season she might get the Kristen Wiig treatment where too much becomes too much. 

I noticed the missed lines, but what I really noticed was that the sound was crappy several times. The introduction needed to be louder. A couple of times I couldn't hear one person in a skit but could hear the other ones fine. The first words Michael Che ever spoke during update, it sounded like his mic wasn't on.

If Lorne's upset about anything, I would hope the production of the episode is sitting at the top of the list, because it was about as sloppy as I've ever seen it.

• Love 3
I'll give Michael a pass since it was his first time and all that but Aidy did seem really nervous. Maybe because she was in like every other sketch?  Who knows. But they did use ber a lot and I'm afraid this season she might get the Kristen Wiig treatment where too much becomes too much. 

I like Aidy  enough that I didn't mind she was in a lot of sketches last night.  I'll second what someone said above about the fact that I like that they haven't simply boxed her into the "big girl" role. 

But I think it's a bit early to think she'll end up gettin the Kristen treatment.  Both Kate and Cecily have had episodes in which they were all over the place.  But usually in a week or two, they would have very light schedules.  With Kristen, it was incessant.

• Love 1

I'm sure she contributes significantly to the dialogue, but I'd be shocked if every line was written by Cecily.

Stefan was Bill Hader's creation, but we know he didn't come up with all of those lines himself. (Being as him breaking character was due to him reading funny lines for the first time.)

• Love 1

Hallo everyone.

I hope I'm not breaking the rules, but I need some help.

I'm from Israel and I decided at the beginning of the 40th season to translate the show into hebrew for the fans in Israel.

Obviously I got stuck with the rapping in the sketch "Booty Rap" from the season premiere.

So I'm asking for your help. can somebody just write down in English the lyrics of the rapping?

Thank you so much!

can somebody just write down in English the lyrics of the rapping

Raps are in italics. These are from hulu's closed captioning option.

Cheryl (Aidy): "I'm hot sticky gooey and I'm ready to pop. Put my gushy on your tushy and I'll spin like a top. With my big fat ass. You know you want it, its my big fat ass. Okay, bye."

Todd (Chris): "You make me feel like a... dang girl wanna pin that guy make me go insanse. Gonna plow through your panties like I'm running on diesel. But you open my jeans, pop goes the weasel. Pop, pop, goes the weasel. Pop, pop-pop goes the weasel. Alright bye."

Cheryl: "I went to Wellesley, and double majored in Women's Studies... and my big fat ass, b-b-b-b-big fat ass, Oh my god, look at my ass, my big fat ass. What about you?

Todd: "I guess I'd say I like girls who drop the ass low and shut the hell up. They freak, freak, freak, fr-freak. You know? That kinda stuff."

Cheryl: " I have one brother, his name is Mikey and he looks like a viking. He's got some junker in his trunker, so they say he look like me. Because I got a big fat ass."

Todd: "My name is Todd and I like that part, wanna bounce that bubble like a curtain rod. Wanna butter them biscuits, flap them jacks. Red rover come over we could smoke some crack, crack crack crack."

Cheryl: "I'm down to flirt and slurp, and I know you like it when I flirt my wurp(?)

Todd: "Would you like to get dinner sometime?"

Cheryl: "I'll make sure to bring my big fat ass, and I will pump it like I'm getting gas."

Together: "And reel it up like a big striped bass"

That's the closest I could get. Hope it helps.

• Love 2

Hope it’s okay to bump this as I’m reading through while watching tonight’s vintage episode. 2014: so recent, yet so long ago!  Colin & Michael’s WU debut!  And that new kid Pete!  Oh and hi, invadernorbert, thanks for all the recaps. 

• Like 2

I could not avoid a full cringe when I saw Chris Pratt and Anna Faris in the goodnights. 

Leslie was cut from Update (that happened in another recent Vintage too I think - maybe). Not sure if that means anything on whether or not she'll ever pop back up on the show. 

This was a very good episode for Aidy...she stole that whole Marvel pre-tape (a piece kind of ironic to repeat at present given Marvel's recent box office issues).