Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: That's Me Without You

The whole Luke thing bugs me so much, but I am thinking maybe all these shady feelings we have is because he is going to turn very nasty at some point. That could really work for me, especially if they go big: Luke really cracks and does something like kidnaps Rayna or ends up holding a knife to her throat as she dangles over a cliff. But he would have to become totally evil! Nice scene showing young Luke making puppy dog eyes at young Rayna who is attending young Drunk Deacon. So yes, his whole adult life he's been obsessed with her. But will they make him evil? I hope so!

Re Maddie being uncontrollable, I apologize for being so unclear. What I meant to say was more like I liked her and her sister together, and as a father to a daughter I don't like the tension between Maddie and Teddy and I don't want Maddie going off dating and Maddie looks older than her age. I personally don't want them to turn her into an adult! I also liked the sisters as a unit and the little one (see, I can't even remember her name!) is kind of left behind. Probably just me...

Edited by Midru
  • Love 1

Wasn't Lamar's assets frozen when he was arrested?

Yes, but when the charges were dismissed, he had his money and his life back -- well, his life back briefly.  But that money is there, and without a will, Rayna and her sister equally inherit.  With a will, her sister is probably shafted, which means more for Rayna.  I don't see Lamarr leaving his fortune to charity or animals. 

• Love 1

Midru: Maddie is 15 years old, so is the girl who plays her. She just looks how she looks, and she's bound to start getting into trouble at some point, especially given her crazy family situation. I'd actually prefer her teenage angst and dating life to her mother's.

Poor Daphne. Now we can't even remember her name! Though her little high five with Teddy was pretty cute.

Let's also remember that an estate as vast as his could potentially take some time to settle, especially since for a time his assets were tied up by the Feds. Gauging the storyline I have to assume he's only been gone a month or so.

I'm not willing to dismiss the money thing as unbelievable quite yet.

• Love 2

Trying to read Rayna's mind here, she sees Luke as a guy who has been nothing but nice and sweet, treating her like a princess. She has not seen his dark side, as we the audience has. She has seen Deacon's dark side. A lot of it. I understand her reasoning that if she and Deacon got back together, and something bad happened, he could go back to drinking and she would be right back to where she was 15 years ago.  She knows she loves Deacon more than she loves Luke, but she is afraid to take that chance. I get it. I love Deacon too, but would hesitate to get involved with him if I knew or had first hand knowledge of his past.

• Love 3
Trying to read Rayna's mind here, she sees Luke as a guy who has been nothing but nice and sweet, treating her like a princess. She has not seen his dark side, as we the audience has. She has seen Deacon's dark side. A lot of it. I understand her reasoning that if she and Deacon got back together, and something bad happened, he could go back to drinking and she would be right back to where she was 15 years ago.  She knows she loves Deacon more than she loves Luke, but she is afraid to take that chance. I get it. I love Deacon too, but would hesitate to get involved with him if I knew or had first hand knowledge of his past.

I would too. But would you agree to marry someone, even a nice guy (let's assume Luke is a nice guy for the moment...though I don't think he is), you'd been dating for only six months or so after ending a decade-plus marriage that was built on lies, nearly dying in a car accident with the father of your secret baby whom you seem to love more than your own life sometimes, and having these incredibly intimate moments/conversations with said secret baby daddy? Even if Luke were nice, that makes no sense. In fact, if he is nice, it's even worse because then Rayna is basically lying to and stringing along a nice, cool guy who just loves her while she sorts out her own emotional crap.

I'd be surprised if Luke hit Rayna. Hitting women on TV is a really walking a fine line; only a few can get away with it under careful circumstances. Deacon can because it was a long time ago and we know he struggled as an alcoholic and we already like him. Luke may do/say something mean to Maddie...or Rayna may find out that he hit Deacon and care...or Luke may do something even meaner to Deacon out of jealousy...or she may find that she and Luke have really different parenting styles...or she may just come to her senses, realize how incredibly fragile and damaged she is emotionally, start going to Al-Anon meetings, and sort out her life. I hope it's that, but I don't expect it. That's way too sane and normal for this show. My guess is we're going to get all the way to the wedding either mid-season or in the finale and the cliff hanger will be whether or not Rayna jilts Luke at the alter, which she will do and end up in bed with Deacon or something because she won't sort out that relationship either.

Airwair: She's seen it. He's snapped at her at least three times now and stormed off, but then come back apologetic. She doesn't seem to care. I will say too that Luke makes Teddy look like a prince. Maybe that's the point of him?

Edited by madam magpie

It's amazing how quickly the show goes. when you FF through everything that has to do with Rayna. It took me about 15 minutes to watch. I wish just once someone would tell Rayna they don't want her. Okay, that's a lie, I wish people would tell her that 100 times a day. Ugh! What will make me finally quit the show is the unending piles of horse crap swearing that Rayna is the most special, wondrous lovely of all time. I'm only staying now because of Hayden, JJ & the hope of hearing the Stella sisters sing.

• Love 1

I wish someone on this show would remember this is supposed to be about the music industry in Nashville, not a friggn' soap opera.

Pretty sure it was always intended as much as a soap as a show about the music industry, actually. I was actually amazed at how flat the season opener was. Didn't feel it was well paced at all. (I did notice Callie Khouri directed...wonder if maybe it was her 1st time, which would explain a lot) SO sick of Maddie's whining, and I WAS teenage girl once! The road trip was far too 'cute,' and bless his heart, the actor playing Avery can't do "drunk" very well. I'll keep watching, but hope it picks up a bit.

• Love 4

And here is a horrible confession.  I like Teddy.  I always have.  He has been a great father to both girls.  And he actually gave Rayna the stability at home that she needed to make a go of her career.  She had a stronger partner in him than she has in Luke or Deacon.   Is he perfect?  No.  But his flaws have not bugged me the way they have some others. 

I agree.  And as someone mentioned in a reply above, he's more likeable than Luke.

Wasn't it stated that Will and Layla's agreement with the reality show specifically included that they couldn't record them in the bedroom?

If so, seems producer lady's threat was pretty empty.  Surely that requirement would have been put in any contract they signed.  And surely the record label's attorneys reviewed said contract very carefully.  Seems if she went public with the tape, her show would be facing a very large lawsuit of their own.

Didn't he tell her in the bathroom?

I'm confused about the scene with the producer lady. Will and Layla were told there would be no filming in the bedroom, which is how she got the incriminating footage. She then tells them the producers don't want a show about "a gay cowboy and his naive wife"... so what's her end game here? She's in the wrong for filming them where they were told they wouldn't be, and now she has a storyline that the producers don't want. Maybe I'm the naive one here, but I'm confused.

I know I'm in the minority but, I LOVE LUKE. Sorry. 

I also love Avery and Juliette and even find the "who's the daddy" storyline to be interesting. So yeah, I'm in for the 3rd season!

• Love 1

I think, though it was unclear and poorly written, that her endgame was to keep them doing the kind of show she wants: up-and-coming country superstar and his young, up-and-comer wife being cutesy and country and whatever. She was threatening to expose Will as gay and Layla as stupid, thereby (theoretically) ruining both of their careers and reputations, if they didn't do the kind of show she and her producers wanted. The footage may have been illegally obtained, but if she leaked it, the damage to Will and Layla would be done. It would no longer matter to them how she got the footage.

• Love 2

Wasn't it stated that Will and Layla's agreement with the reality show specifically included that they couldn't record them in the bedroom?

If so, seems producer lady's threat was pretty empty.  Surely that requirement would have been put in any contract they signed.  And surely the record label's attorneys reviewed said contract very carefully.  Seems if she went public with the tape, her show would be facing a very large lawsuit of their own.

Am I misremembering? I thought Layla was in on the placing of the secret clock camera in the space that she and Will had previously deemed off limits.

The best thing about this episode for me was the horse and how pretty Connie looked in the barn. She should have just hung out with the horse and not Luke, though.

• Love 4

The episode was kind of meh.  The road trip was fun, but not as madcap as I think the creators wanted it to be.  I think part of the problem is that Claire Bowen isn't a madcap-comedian kind of actress.  Gunnar and Avery without Scarlett would have been a lot funnier.

I wish that they would show us what Rayna sees in Luke.  They don't seem to have any chemistry, and she seems bored by him.  (I'm certainly bored by him.)  He's a safe choice, but Rayna's not a play-it-safe kind of person in general.  

• Love 1

I just get the impression that we're in for a Deacon-interrupted wedding scene with Rayna and Luke -- unless they do a courthouse ceremony. Soaps are cheesy and fun, but sometimes the fun is in the unpredictability of them. I want a Dun dun dun! moment or two.

My favorite part of this episode was the live promos from Chip and Chris leading up to the show - they were a hoot together! 

Overall I thought this episode was kind of meh, I won't be rewatching any of it. Not a fan of the baby daddy story, but I thought Hayden rocked as Patsy Cline. Loved the road trip and was happy that it ended up with them headed back to Nashville. I've wanted to do the Natchez Trace since I live in Nashville 20+ years ago, so was a little jealous of them. Love Will, but this storyline with Layla is just a stupid waste of airtime. Get rid of Layla and let's really show what a gay man would go through in the country music world - surely there's one or two of them out there??

Knew that Rayna would choose Luke because that's the supposedly safe choice. What struck me was that she did a lot of looking back last night, but no looking forward. What will her life be like with Luke? What would it be with Deacon? I don't see any real joy or passion between Rayna and Luke, nothing that suggests to me that she's going to be happy with her choice for the long term. And I'm troubled by Luke's manipulative streak, not to mention his anger management issues and his condescension of Rayna herself, as well as her children, Gunnar and Deacon. And I nearly blew a gasket when that preening, self-absorbed jerk had to be DRIVEN to the alley behind the Bluebird in an SUV just so he could punch Deacon before he went onstage. And then he was all smiles for Rayna. Hoping against hope that certain spoilers about his involvement with Deacon and Maddie come true.

Applause for Teddy last night who acted like a real man for his daughter. Way to listen to her concerns and take them seriously. Way to be a stand up guy for her. Hoping that he and Deacon come to some good terms and work together to do what's best for Maddie.

• Love 1

I'm a soap fan so I love the relationship stuff. I enjoyed the premiere and can totally understand Rayna's logic. After Deacon, she's continued to gravitate towards "safe". I know that Luke seems shady to us but that's not a side that she's really seen. So, of course she would pick him. Have said that, Rayna must have incredible fortitude to still be able to turn Deacon down after the scene at his place, asking her to sing with him. Hell it had me almost saying "yes" to the man lol

I enjoyed the road trip too as its cool to see Scarlett able to be friends with her two exes. Glad she and Avery decided to stay in Nashville.

Poor Juliette. Ever the drama magnet lol

• Love 2

Okay, I'll admit it-during the duet between Deacon and Rayna, I thought that Chip was so hot.  Man, there was just something about that scene.  

I was sad to see Scarlett head back to Nashville,  I was so hopeful for a moment.  I did like the friendships evidenced during the road trip.  

Watched season 3 first episode wasn't going to but I stayed until the end. What got me is after Rayna made her decision (Picking LW) went to LW's party?? kissed him, tells him how much she loves him we see her standing all alone half smile on her face watching LW then we see a sad face tells me he's not the guy she IN LOVE with. What did Teddy tell her once, that all the years they were married she was emotionally involved with Deacon. Can't wait to see LW jealousy surface when he sees Deacon/Rayna just standing near each other or talking about Maddie. She keeping telling LW she loves him how many times can you tell someone you love them and it comes out flat. A poster on another forum posted Deacon/Rayna chemistry perfectly. First, there was eye-sex, then the arm-sex and now the forehead-sex. I didn't know what she meant until I saw the scene when Rayna goes to Deacon's to tell him her decision. Dear Lord "They are Hot together!!" ( Luke Who)

I wasn't a fan of Teddy's but I give him a lot of credit putting Maddie first. Taking both girls to hear Deacon sing at the Blue Bird made my heart melt and Deacon thanking him was heart warming.

Scarlett, Avery and Gunnar helping each other working through difficult times in all their lives was hilarious, especially drunk Avery.

• Love 1

While I agree that it's nice to see Teddy finally put aside his petty jealousy in order to do something for Maddie, I think part of his motivation, however miniscule, was to see Deacon look miserable (even if he didn't know that Deacon also proposed the night before, he knows how sad Deacon would be about Luke proposing to Rayna). Notice the pointed "How are you doing tonight?"

Oh, Juliette. She's such a mess! I love her, but oh my.

Layla is going to have a massive freak out before the end of the season, I'll bet.

I loved the road trip. And I really like Scarlett, so I liked how that turned out.

Drunken bitter Avery was a hoot!

I wasn't exactly shocked by Rayna's choice. Her past with Deacon looked pretty dysfunctional in the flashbacks. I'm sure it'll turn into a big mess eventually, though, and Luke will have even more reason to be pissed.

Edited by SlovakPrincess

I know the start of a season is often weird because the actors have changed while their characters are mostly supposed to be the same as the previous season (unless there's a time jump), but I agree something seemed off about everyone last night. Especially Scarlett and Deacon. Scarlett seemed more confident, and Deacon seemed a little smug at times.

The entire episode seemed tonally wrong to me. I spent most of it imagining how I would have fixed it if I'd have the chance. I spent most of season 2 wishing I could just sit in on a writers' meeting and fix things. I have a feeling season 3 is going to go the same way.

I really didn't like the road trip. It was too cartoonish and the tone of the road trip scenes didn't suit the characters at all. And Scarlet with a parasol was just...I don't have words. And a mechanic named Cletus? Really? I think they're trying too hard.

I didn't understand the point of the live stuff. It was't bad, I just didn't understand why.

I'm not ready for Rayna and Deacon to be a couple, but Luke punching Deacon didn't do him any favors so early in the season. He still seems slimy to me. I know they tried to show us why Rayna picked him with the flashback (he was there for her when Deacon wasn't), but her decision to marry Luke when she wasn't sure 12 hours earlier only serves to make Rayna seem weak. Why does she need to be married? Maddie and Daphne already have 2 daddies. Do they need 3? Why can't Rayna date?

The stuff with Will is just silly. They've painted themselves into a corner with that one.

I feel sorry for Juliette fans. I'd be crushed. After a number of unfortunate story lines, Juliette's pregnancy story line could turn out to be the worst - unless you like paternity story lines, of course. I hate them, so I'm not looking forward to this. If they have any plans of bringing Juliette and Avery back together, adding Jeff to the mix was a big mistake. Avery's reaction to learning Juliette slept with him will make it impossible for me to believe he'd forgive her for possibly carrying Jeff's child.

I wish I could be less negative about this first episode of season 3, but I can't. Nashville has been trying to find its way for 2 seasons now and I don't understand why they're still struggling. It's a great idea, pretty straightforward, but they keep making things way too complicated for themselves. My fingers are crossed it gets better, but I don't think we'll be seeing a season 4...

• Love 2

True but we have the basic problem that Will doesn't want that tape to go public...with or without a lawsuit. In Will's eyes, it is a very real threat. If Will was savvy he would have called his agent immediately after the threat was made rather than just stare at Layla with tears in his eyes. Where is his agent and publicist? Shouldn't the label have representatives around to observe and check-in? The record label seems to be represented by Jeff who pops in at events and makes nasty accusations. We need Brent to step in.

We also have the problem that Will has always been a reactionary dumbass who makes life and career decisions based on showing the world/showing Jeff Fordham/showing everyone back home that knew he was on the downlow that he's! not! gay!

The producer girl's reasoning was weird and unnecesarily complicated. Will will go off half-cocked  to keep her happy, of course, but all he has to do is tell Jeff Fordham and that chick would be handled. Jeff would do it to protect his investment. I can't quite see Layla outing him if only because she doesn't want to tarnish her sweet young thing image with a scandal of this nature.

The WTD storyline is dumb just because of the timeline. Juliet slept with Jeff and Avery found out in a matter of days. Unless her doctor is telling her she's 2 weeks along it makes no sense that it would be Jeff's, condoms or no condoms.

I seriously doubt Rayna would have chosen Luke if the jackass hadn't put her on the spot in front of 72K people AND Deacon hadn't put on the full court press. It's such a rebound move for the safer guy. Deacon actually hadn't made any kind of move, the proposal galvanized him and sent her down bad memory lane. Timing! I did like her saying that Luke could give her a "clean slate", that resonated. Unfortunately for Luke, the air fairly shimmers around Deacon and Rayna when they're together, sorry notsorry.

Edited by rubyred
  • Love 2

OF COURSE Scarlett keeps a parasol at the ready for sunny days on Tennessee roadsides.

They spent two years showing Scarlett is a free-spirited gypsy, Stevie Nicks-like dresser.  Suddenly she pulls a Japanese parasol out of her ass and turns into Scarlett O'Hara?  I laughed out loud it was so silly.

Rayna needs to go five minutes without a man.  It would do her and her girls a world of good!  

And here is a horrible confession.  I like Teddy.  I always have.  He has been a great father to both girls.  And he actually gave Rayna the stability at home that she needed to make a go of her career.  She had a stronger partner in him than she has in Luke or Deacon.   Is he perfect?  No.  But his flaws have not bugged me the way they have some others. 

Love, love, love Deacon, but he and Rayna are just poison together.  

Rayna can't be alone.  I wish she would show some self-awareness and acknowledge that fact.  It's why I can't stand her a lot of the time.  I don't buy that she loves Luke, and I don't know if we're supposed to.  In my mind, Rayna is marrying Luke because he's a man she can't over shadow with her career.

Don't feel bad, I like Teddy too.  Sure I've wanted to smack him a time or two when he starts sniveling about something.  I hate how he's sometimes portrayed as the man who stole Deacon's child.  That's on Rayna.  The fact is, they got married not knowing who the father was.  They wouldn't have needed a DNA test if paternity was certain.   Just because it was Deacon's drunken sperm that did the job, that doesn't give him ownership of Maddie.  I'm adopted myself, and it drives me crazy how quick Maddie was to jump all over Deacon.

Now I didn't like Teddy's affair with Peggy, but when he started it, he made his choice and told Rayna he wanted a divorce.  Rayna's outrage was completely over the top considering Deacon was coming to her room for a booty call that very night.  Rayna may have never had sex with Deacon while she was married to Teddy, but she had no consideration for Teddy by keeping Deacon hanging around all these years.  It was an emotional affair, in my opinion, and an ego booster for Rayna.  If she wanted to ensure Deacon got jobs, she could have found him a spot that didn't constantly throw them together.  She had the best of both worlds, a husband who makes sure the kids are taken care of, and her soul mate with her on tour, singing while gazing deep into each other's eyes.  I'm not sure if I should admire Teddy for having that trust in Rayna, or smack him for being too weak to insist she distance herself from Deacon.  This crap that Rayna tried to claim about making sure Deacon was always around Maddie, even though they didn't know they were father and daughter - BS.  In fact, I think it was crueler than just making a clean break with him.

I don't understand how Juliette knows she's pregnant already.  I thought they had sex a week ago.  And why in the world have her break down and hack off her horrible wig, and then still make her wear a wig?  Made no sense.

Edited by RedheadZombie
  • Love 4

However, Luke as a savior is bullshit. That's Callie and Co. throwing crap and hoping it sticks so that we get their hard on for him and forget that Luke goes around hitting people while completely sober.

I don't think Luke is meant to be the savior of anyone, he's basically Teddy 2.0.  Rayna can safely marry him knowing that she stands little to no risk of being destroyed because she's not that into him anyway.  She says she loves him and she probably does, but she's not emotionally invested in him or the relationship.  If she were to get back together with Deacon and things got as bad as they did the last time it would kill her and she knows that.  Choosing Deacon would be about love, choosing Luke was about self preservation.

The worst part of the Will/Layla bullshit fest was that there was a story there before they decided to make a left onto Blackmail Ave.   Will has given up everything he had for a chance in the business and he's doing well but he's far from an established artist and his career could fizzle out at any time.  I have a hard time beleiving that he would just agree to a divorce and all of the tabloid scandal that would come from a divorce after 4 weeks of marriage.  It's too risky.  Will's one defining trait is his desperation, I can't see him not fighting to hold on to the beard he married because people were beginning to suspect he was gay.

• Love 1

Speaking of Luke's "niceness" or otherwise, I don't think that any man who would really 'ask' a woman to marry him on a stage in front of thousands of people could ever be considered truly "nice". It's incredibly selfish, entitled and manipulative. He put Rayna in a position whereby she had to say yes, or be branded a 'mean, ungrateful bitch' by thousands of people (and not just those actually there watching). The manner of that proposal right there would make me reconsider pretty much immediately if I were Rayna.

My fingers are crossed it gets better, but I don't think we'll be seeing a season 4...

A network show with three full seasons is pretty much guaranteed a fourth for the purposes of syndication.

The WTD storyline is dumb just because of the timeline. Juliet slept with Jeff and Avery found out in a matter of days. Unless her doctor is telling her she's 2 weeks along it makes no sense that it would be Jeff's, condoms or no condoms.

This. If they ignore this obvious fact in order to shovel some stupidly manufactured WTD drama in our faces, I will NOT be happy.

And why in the world have her break down and hack off her horrible wig, and then still make her wear a wig?

I'm guessing we're going to have to wait to see Haydn's real hair again until Juliette has had a chance to have her hair stylist visit and tidy up her own hack job.

• Love 2

A network show with three full seasons is pretty much guaranteed a fourth for the purposes of syndication.

Oh, then I'm happy for the cast. I also hope they work out the kinks and get rid of Layla and Luke.

The whole Luke thing bugs me so much, but I am thinking maybe all these shady feelings we have is because he is going to turn very nasty at some point. That could really work for me, especially if they go big: Luke really cracks and does something like kidnaps Rayna or ends up holding a knife to her throat as she dangles over a cliff. But he would have to become totally evil! Nice scene showing young Luke making puppy dog eyes at young Rayna who is attending young Drunk Deacon. So yes, his whole adult life he's been obsessed with her. But will they make him evil? I hope so!

Oh good, it's not just me. I have thought Luke is a major creep from the get-go. I figured they'd set a wedding date, and as it get closer, he'll start showing his darker side. He'll get more demanding, controlling, and manipulative to pull Rayna way from her friends and family. I thought perhaps the mid-season cliffhanger would feature him hitting Rayna for the first (but possibly not last) time, and the second half of the season would focus on her calling off the wedding and learning that the "safe" choice can be anything but. I actually think a story like that would give the Rayna character a lot of room for growth and development. Then maybe we can see independent Rayna who doesn't have to attach herself to men.

• Love 1

I was discussing this episode with my boss, who is a casual viewer, and I told her that I couldn't believe that Rayna chose the guy that she did (I could believe it because I had already read spoilers that said this would happen, but anyways).  She said, "I don't like him.  He's creepy."  I really hope that "creepy" is what the actor is going for because that seems to be the vibe that many are getting.  He's just so jealous and possessive that I can imagine we're going to see some sort of him or me ultimatum involving Deacon where he'll forbid Rayna from seeing Deacon anymore.

I don't think Luke is meant to be the savior of anyone, he's basically Teddy 2.0.  Rayna can safely marry him knowing that she stands little to no risk of being destroyed because she's not that into him anyway.  She says she loves him and she probably does, but she's not emotionally invested in him or the relationship.  If she were to get back together with Deacon and things got as bad as they did the last time it would kill her and she knows that.  Choosing Deacon would be about love, choosing Luke was about self preservation.

How about Rayna choose her vibrator and hold off jumping into a relationship or marriage so soon?  Don't forget that in the midst of Teddy/Deacon/Luke was a few minutes of Liam.  This cannot have a good impact on her children.  It's what drives me crazy about Rayna.  She's only a more functional version of Juliette, but Juliette is considered a slut.

• Love 2
How about Rayna choose her vibrator and hold off jumping into a relationship or marriage so soon?

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I wouldn't call either Rayna or Juliette a slut. In the case of Rayna, as far as we know and given her history, she's had sex with what...four men in her entire life and she's 40-something? And three of those men were relationships. Juliette's just young and stupid and making young, stupid mistakes. If anyone on this show was ever a slut it was Liam or Deacon, but whatever. I'd jump either of them, so who am I to talk.

I do think Luke has a savior vibe to him (as well as an asshole vibe, don't get me wrong, and they often go together anyway), and so did Teddy. Luke has basically pined for Rayna for two decades and swoops in to bail her out when he thinks she needs it. He offered to step in for Deacon at that show (though did he actually? I couldn't tell if we were meant to believe Deacon showed up in the end and that's what the singing of "Postcard from Mexico" was), he offered Rayna money for her label, he put her face on a race car, etc. Teddy freakin' married her when she was pregnant by and in love with someone else. One of the things I actually like best about Deacon is that he doesn't ever try to save her. She does it for him, which is its own problem, but he doesn't do it at all. He offers solid advice, love, and support, but he completely believes that Rayna can make it on her own. That said, I agree with all the rest. Rayna is doing the same thing with Luke that she did with Teddy years ago, and I'm baffled as to why no one on the show except Deacon seems to notice this.

He's just so jealous and possessive that I can imagine we're going to see some sort of him or me ultimatum involving Deacon where he'll forbid Rayna from seeing Deacon anymore.

I think this is very possible. The only reason Rayna stayed with Teddy so long, I think, is because he mostly didn't really interfere with her relationship with Deacon until the end. It clearly bothered him the whole time, but he left it alone. If Luke starts throwing around demands about Rayna's relationship with Deacon, she might finally object to his crap. I feel like if there's one thing Rayna does consistently it's be pretty protective of whatever kind of relationship or bond she and Deacon have at the moment. She may push him away if it starts to freak her out, but she doesn't seem willing to let anyone else take him from her. And plenty have tried. (I'm looking at you, Tandy!)

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 2

Madam Magpie you are so good at analizing this show. You come up with this unbelievable truth on both of them  "Deacon doesn't  try to save her. She does it for him which is its own problem, but he doesn't do it at all." "He offers solid advice, love and support but completely believes that Rayna can make it on her own."

Rayna made her decision she chose Luke but watching this episode the woman wasn't happy in any of her scenes. Not in bed with LW, not in the stables and the best one was her joining LW at his function, kissing him, telling him she loves him and then standing alone with a half smile on her face only to see it turn sad while watching LW do his thing. How many times can she tell LW that she loves him, by constantly saying it is she trying hard to convince herself she does because every time she says it it comes out flat no with emotion to it at all.

Deacon/Rayna will not be together most of this year and I'm okay with that. They both have to work on getting their problems solved before they can be in any kind of a relationship. Rayna especially needs to come to terms on her part in the accident and maybe go see a therapist someone she can talk to and no it can't be Tandy, so she can see why she making these decision and still not happy. She's struggling (Is Connie that good of an actress because its right there on screen) and it's only the first episode what can we expect from her. What happened to the Rayna who put her girls first did she even go talk to them after the big proposal doesn't seem like it.

• Love 1

Tandy made the moves on Deacon? Tell me more! I hate that Tandy bases her life around Rayna. I don't think that Rayna treats her as well as she should. There was a brief scene last season between Tandy and Luke and his chemistry with her was much better than with Rayna.

Tandy made the moves on Deacon?

No, no. I don't mean "take him from her" like steal him for a boyfriend. I mean push for her to end her relationship/partnership with him. Tandy constantly tries to talk Rayna out of being close with Deacon or into dropping him, advising her to lie more than once, to just screw around with him, etc. Same with Coleman, Lamar, Teddy (eventually), Luke (probably). I'm not a huge fan of Tandy, though in theory I can understand where's she's coming from. I think she loves her sister but gives terrible advice and is kind of dumb. If she and Luke want to ride off together, that's OK with me!

Edited by madam magpie

You said I think Tandy loves her sister but could it be that Tandy is jealouse of the commitment to each other that Deacon and Rayna have had since they were both teenagers. Tandy knows Rayna is so IN LOVE with Deacon but she always has a negative comment and bad advice like you can't tell Deacon about Maddie even when she knew that he had been sober for 13 yrs.. Glad she's leaving maybe Rayna can find a girlfriend she can talk to as long as the friend doesn't hit on Deacon.. Tandy as far as we know hasn't had a close relationship with anyone and nobody loves her like Deacon loves Rayna jealouse is my thought. When Lamar was in the hospital he said Rayna was more concerned about him then Tandy and she got angry and walked out on Lamar...Sister jealousy works for me...

Maybe...sibling jealousy is common, but mostly I think Tandy sees the Rayna/Deacon situation through the eyes of someone who doesn't really know Deacon very well, but thinks she does because she's known him for a very long time. What she's seen is that Rayna has been miserable and sad for decades because of Deacon, that he's disappointed her repeatedly, hit her, caused a car wreck that nearly killed her, yelled at her, hurt her over and over again, etc., and Tandy's probably just fed up with watching her sister keep going back to what she sees as an abusive, awful relationship. Clearly, on some level, Rayna sees it differently; I think that's why in this episode Rayna kept trying to explain that she understood what Deacon was doing and it wasn't some controlling thing because of Luke. But I mean, anyone who's known somone in an abusive relationship knows all the standard lines the women use as excuses to go back, and "no, no, you just don't understand him, he's broken" is an extremely common one. So I get why Tandy doesn't care for Deacon. But I do think she needs to stop being a liar at the drop of a hat and that she definitely needs to stop telling Rayna to be a liar. That's almost always horrible, destructive advice, and I think Tandy's influence has also caused Rayna a lot of trouble and sadness. Also, she just doesn't seem very smart to me. She's supposed to be great at business, but I feel like she's not at all. That whole money issue with Highway 65 just struck me as shady, stupid business dealings 101.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 1

I could agree with all you've written on Deacon repeatedly disappointing her, hit her (where the hell did that come from, it was never mentioned before by Rayna), car wreak (she was driving) and all the other abusive things when he was drunk BUT that was all before he got sober and stayed clean for 13 yrs. If he hit her while he was drunk why in hell did she allow him around her kids when they were touring all those years. That flashback scene that they showed him hitting her while lying face down on a bed (I assume it was a accident) what it gives them another reason why Rayna shouldn't get back with Deacon. I get she has old memories but she saw and worked with him for months at a time touring and he was a functioning person. What happened to Rayna freaking out when Lamar died yelling the lying has got to stop. She still lies to herself on what her feeling are for Deacon and I guess we will find out soon when he starts a relationship with someone on tour.

Season 3, episode 1,  Rayna looking like she was so confused in just about all her scenes. She kind of just walked through them no happy face it was like she was in some kind of a fog going thought the motions. Is she ever going to sit down and talk to her daughters and explain to them the direction her relationship with LW will be going. What I'm waiting for is for LW to demand that she not contact Deacon in any way not even to set up time for Maddie to visit him. LW faults can't wait for them to surface and they will real soon.

The fact that Deacon hit Rayna in one way or another doesn't surprise me at all. That's so common with alcoholics. I'd been thinking he hadn't because she seems to have no fear of confronting him, even when he's drunk, but really that still makes sense because he didn't like...chase her through the house and grab her by her hair and beat her up or anything. Basically, he's wasted, flailing around, not even knowing what he's doing, and clocks her in the face. That's not good by any means, but it's also not necessarily an abuser. My guess is that Rayna knows that, which is why she never considered a sober Deacon a threat to her children. However, if she were my sister and she told me her boyfriend had backhanded her while he was drunk, I'd probably be pretty upset if she went back to him. I also think we're meant to believe that he didn't just hit her that one time (nothing like that is ever just one time). So basically Rayna was living with a guy for a decade who at his core was tender and kind, but also sometimes was violent and unreliable. Her only predictor was whether or not he was drinking, so she'd be constantly on guard to see if he was. It took 13 years of Deacon's sobriety for her to trust it even a little bit, and then when he found out about Maddie, he went right back to what she feared most, lost control completely, and was screaming at her in the car and waving a whiskey bottle in her face. Screaming at someone like that in the enclosed space of a car does make you 50/50 responsible when the driver can't concentrate and crashes the car. At least, I think so. They both need to own that accident.

At this point, there's really no reason for Rayna to believe that if something else huge and horrible happens Deacon will be able to cope. And how do you build a life with someone you don't trust? What if she dies? What if Maddie dies? What if Scarlett or Daphne dies? Will he be able to deal with that for whoever is left behind? I also can't help but think that Rayna has got to worry that he can't both be sober and be with her. In her experience, he can only stay sober if she leaves him and they have a relationship with some unusual but clear boundaries. She tried to set those again in that conversation at his house, but Deacon was having none of it this time. And as we know, Rayna always folds when Deacon pushes her. If what she really wanted was for him to let her go, all she had to do was say something like, "No, I don't feel it. We're done" and step away. But she never does that. She just disolves into a blubbering mess because she doesn't actually want to be done. So yeah, I think Rayna is super confused and conflicted and very sad, but is trying to convince herself (by lying to herself and anyone who will listen) that marrying Luke will solve this problem. She likely also believes that the "healthy" thing for her and Deacon is not to be together, no matter how painful that is. It took her years and years and being scared for her baby to be able to do that, so she's trying to stay that course because the fallout from the drinking and the fear of the fallout and losing him over and over again batters her emotionally. Her life with him is still very present for her even though for us it looks like a long time ago. Everything he says to her--"baby, I've changed," "just come sing with me," "it'll all be different now"--is all the same stuff he always said. "Marry me" when she's with someone else has also happened before. Sure, we know he's telling the truth this time because it's TV and that's how a narrative works, but Rayna doesn't know that so she's terrified. What Rayna needs to realize, though, is that there are more than two options, and if she'd be willing to tell the truth and confront her own role in all this, she could probably eventually get the life she really wants. I have no idea what all that "the lying has to stop" stuff was last year because the lying has not stopped. But that's why she needs some decent friends who give decent advice. And also why Tandy needs to shut it.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 2

With Tandy, in the last episode I was wondering why she has always been so against Deacon. I had a flash that maybe, back when they were all teenagers, Tandy had a crush on him and he rejected her, or maybe slept with her and dumped her. 

Reading all these posts it still amazes and bugs me. It's kind of a Rayna vs Juliette. Juliette can't do anything right. She's always bringing the house down upon herself. Avery is the only man she has had any kind of normal good times. Otherwise, it is an endless string of unhealthy, destructive couplings. (And I wouldn't call her a slut but I would say she definitely is promiscuous). 

While Rayna is like some goddess on a mountain, the Buddha, where tall, dark and handsome men are always lined up to do whatever Rayna wants them to do just so they can have the chance to possibly make her happy. And not just men but everyone in her life is like her grateful servant. The show also lets her get away with jaw-dropping hypocrisy, as she routinely gets outraged at other people's actions, actions that she herself has done without consequences.

The difference in how the world of the show treats these women- Juliette can't have more than 5 minutes of happiness, Rayna's biggest problem is that too many people want to love her- drives me crazy sometimes!

Edited by Midru
  • Love 3

You can say "What if's" on many things in life but my biggest problem with Rayna is she is the one as Coleman once said "She messes with your head" and he was so right. She wants him, she's afraid because he's an alcoholic so she doesn't want him. Make a decision be with him or cut him complete loose once and for all. Problem she can't because she needs to see him on a regular basis. It seems she only wants Deacon when he's in a relationship with someone else. She gets jealouse and it shows on her face that longing look she gives him when he's not looking. She has kept him close all those years while married to Teddy (IMO) for herself. She needed him as a backup guy again (IMO) to call when she wanted to talk to someone (meet me at our favorite place) because she knew she could trust his opinion.

The series is going to stretch the love triangle between Deacon/Rayna/Luke for as long as they can hoping the fans will stay but for me it's a maybe. Won't wait years before they decide to get Deacon/Rayna working on a relationship that they both feel finally we figured out what's going to make both of us happy and our daughters happy.

Read a post from Chip saying "I love the fact that Deacon has a strong competition in Luke. He's no slouch. He's formidable competition" I guess there will be fireworks coming soon. Deacon not going to give up...

I hated that line from Coleman. It made me dislike him and told me that he doesn't know Rayna any better than Tandy knows Deacon. Rayna has never messed with Deacon's head any more than Deacon has tried to hurt her. They're both really broken people who found themselves in a situation that overwhelmed them, and neither of them ever knows what to do about it. All they seem to know for sure is that they love each other to the core. Rayna lives in terror where Deacon is concerned because she knows that he's got a real problem that could actually kill him, her, their kid, etc. Deacon lives in misery because he feels like he needs Rayna to make him whole. Those are terribly destructive places to live, and if they didn't also love each other like they do, they'd be right to cut the cord and bolt. All Tandy and Coleman see is the very last bit. Rayna and Deacon see the whole thing. They just don't know what to do about it...or in Rayna's case, make all the wrong decisions out of fear. I don't know anyone who's beat alcoholism on their own, whether it's the alcoholic or the people who love him. Rayna needs therapy and help, and given the platform these writers have to say things, I really wish they'd let her do it. They let Deacon; he gets to go to AA to work it out, but Rayna is just left floundering to figure it out on her own. That's not fair.

I do still hope there comes a point where Deacon rejects her, though, not so she gets hers, but because something needs to change. Nothing ever changes with these two! We've been watching them do exactly the same thing for two years. I know that in real life, that can go on and on forever, but on TV, it's boring. If Deacon rejecting her shakes things up, let's have it!

Edited by madam magpie

I'm finally quitting this show after this episode.  The road trip with the Avery/Scarlett/Gunnar friendship was the best part of the episode, and I usually don't even care for these 3, especially Scarlett, which says a lot about the rest of the episode.  I am sick and tired of the Rayna love triangle (whether it's Rayna/Deacon/Teddy as it was in earlier seasons or Rayna/Deacon/Luke lately), and also sick of poor Juliette's life sucking - and now a soap opera-esque "who's the daddy" storyline to top it off.  Also, the live portion seemed really random and didn't seem to fit in well with the rest of the episode.  And the Will/Layla thing is just so melodramatic that I start laughing everytime those two are on screen.  I'm done.

Edited by eyetotelescope
  • Love 1

I would love for Deacon to reject her and tell her to her face you made your choice I'm moving on and find someone who he can connect with in music. Someone he can write songs with and maybe sing with at the Blue Bird. What happened to the woman who showed up when he was on a gig, he knew her seemed to like her but did turn her down because he was in a relationship with Megan. Come on series there probably are loads of women who wanted to be that woman to stand along side of Deacon Claybourne singing songs they both wrote. Got to be somebody out there. 

Someone wrote a story of Rayna seeing a therapist and boy does it work getting Rayna to admit all those fears she has and how can she overcome them by admitting her part in a dysfunctional relationship. In that story Deacon doesn't get drunk when he finds out Maddie is his daughter but gets really angry and tells her he can never forgive her keeping Maddie from him all those years. To bad the series didn't go in that direction really works getting both of them to admit their faults.

I am a Rayna / Deacon shippe,r but I also like Luke so far and what he represents, and i have to say I get there Rayna is coming from. Fundamentally, Rayna doesn't trust Deacon with her heart. Every single time she's trusted him he's let her down. Sure he can be a good uncle, and an okay 3rd parent, which is mostly an uncle, and he's a reliable back up singer and friend. But she doesn't trust him with her heart. And he keeps putting her in tough positions. 

i'm sorry but I'm on Luke's side in this. Insofar as Deacon and Luke are friends. he went and proposed to Rayna after she said yes to Luke. That's way against the Bro code, IMO. He deserved that punch, I am not in the mood to go quel horrore physical violence at that. 

As far as Rayna choosing herself is concerned, I don't think it's a viable option. It would mean breaking up with Luke completely - they couldn't be boyfriend / girlfriend after being engaged. It would play badly to the press and their fans because of the public proposal and acceptance. And she is still promoting her album. She likes Luke and loves him. Would going to Deacon be as bad? I think not. They have a history, I'm sure there are Rayna / Deacon fictional fans as well, and the whole, post proposal with a public apology might play better, I think. 

Plus there's something to the writers saying that Luke is Rayna's equal. He's successful in his own right, he's got that confidence and he's just got less drama. Deacon - there's just so much drama with them. And there will always be the drinking and the watchfulness. It must be exhausting, even as friend. Rayna's is basically saying, when she spoke about the clean slate, that she still hasn't forgiven Deacon, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. 

I also get where Tandy is coming from. With my brother, I'll always want him to go for the healthier, safer option, because I want him to be happy. Between a less successful artist who joined The Kings and quit and just put him in a hospital, and this rich country superstar who seems stable and healthy, I'll advise him to go for her equal every time. 

You can say "What if's" on many things in life but my biggest problem with Rayna is she is the one as Coleman once said "She messes with your head" and he was so right. She wants him, she's afraid because he's an alcoholic so she doesn't want him. Make a decision be with him or cut him complete loose once and for all. Problem she can't because she needs to see him on a regular basis. It seems she only wants Deacon when he's in a relationship with someone else. She gets jealouse and it shows on her face that longing look she gives him when he's not looking. She has kept him close all those years while married to Teddy (IMO) for herself. She needed him as a backup guy again (IMO) to call when she wanted to talk to someone (meet me at our favorite place) because she knew she could trust his opinion.

The series is going to stretch the love triangle between Deacon/Rayna/Luke for as long as they can hoping the fans will stay but for me it's a maybe. Won't wait years before they decide to get Deacon/Rayna working on a relationship that they both feel finally we figured out what's going to make both of us happy and our daughters happy.

Read a post from Chip saying "I love the fact that Deacon has a strong competition in Luke. He's no slouch. He's formidable competition" I guess there will be fireworks coming soon. Deacon not going to give up...

I hated that line from Coleman. It made me dislike him and told me that he doesn't know Rayna any better than Tandy knows Deacon. Rayna has never messed with Deacon's head any more than Deacon has tried to hurt her. They're both really broken people who found themselves in a situation that overwhelmed them, and neither of them ever knows what to do about it. All they seem to know for sure is that they love each other to the core. Rayna lives in terror where Deacon is concerned because she knows that he's got a real problem that could actually kill him, her, their kid, etc. Deacon lives in misery because he feels like he needs Rayna to make him whole. Those are terribly destructive places to live, and if they didn't also love each other like they do, they'd be right to cut the cord and bolt. All Tandy and Coleman see is the very last bit. Rayna and Deacon see the whole thing. They just don't know what to do about it...or in Rayna's case, make all the wrong decisions out of fear. I don't know anyone who's beat alcoholism on their own, whether it's the alcoholic or the people who love him. Rayna needs therapy and help, and given the platform these writers have to say things, I really wish they'd let her do it. They let Deacon; he gets to go to AA to work it out, but Rayna is just left floundering to figure it out on her own. That's not fair.

I do still hope there comes a point where Deacon rejects her, though, not so she gets hers, but because something needs to change. Nothing ever changes with these two! We've been watching them do exactly the same thing for two years. I know that in real life, that can go on and on forever, but on TV, it's boring. If Deacon rejecting her shakes things up, let's have it!

While the vast majority of Rayna and Deacon's relationship has not been shown, I tend to go more with Sutton's opinion on Rayna.  As much as Rayna may say she wishes Deacon had married and had his only family, I think she likes that he could never move on from her.  I don't think that Rayna consciously knows this, but I think she's probably yanked Deacon's chain every time he tried to forge an independent path.  I don't feel Deacon has stayed with Rayna because he feels he needs her.  I think he stays because he loves her and feels she needs him, professionally and/or emotionally.  He's her soul mate and she kept Deacon close even knowing it bothered Teddy, and knowing that Maddie was secretly his.  When she tried to tell Deacon - well at least I kept you nearby so you could have a relationship with Maddie - I wanted to slap her.  She kept Deacon dangling for own fulfillment, and it had nothing to do with Maddie.

These things wouldn't bother me much if some of the characters would call Rayna out.  Especially how self-righteous she was about Teddy and Peggy.  For thirteen years, she kept her ex-lover by her side.  That was a powerful emotional affair.  When Teddy got sick of it and decided he wanted to be first in his woman's life, she was shocked.  Even though Deacon was headed to her hotel room for a booty call the night Teddy asked for a divorce.

And I guess that's where I get Teddy's attitude toward Deacon and Maddie's relationship.  Through his marriage, he had to see Deacon and Rayna together.  He knows she married him because he was safe, and that she preferred Deacon.  To then have the daughter that is completely his, as far as his heart's concerned, being drawn to Deacon, he's worried that his relationship with Maddie will be compromised.  Teddy is weak and often too passive, but held the home and family together while Rayna was out on the road.  He's the one who provided their children that stability.

Having said all of that, Rayna has grown on me.  I love her with her kids and with Scarlett, but especially the rare moments when she mothers Juliette.  I hope they become very close, but realize it's much more poignant if they start out as enemies. It's a little ironic that Juliette needs someone desperately, yet pushes them away.  And Rayna needs to stand on her own feet and be alone for a while, but can't beat off the men wanting to commit to her.  Connie Britton has a confidence (almost arrogance) that keeps me from rooting for her characters (couldn't stand her in AHS).  It contributes to what I see as entitlement in Rayna.  She's first in Deacon's heart, she was first in Teddy's heart, she's first with Luke.  She was favored by her father even after she thumbed her nose at him, and despite the fact that Tandy busted her ass to get his approval.  Rayna just seems to make every thing about her.  Their father murdered their mother, poor Rayna.  Not poor Tandy who had to find this out and carry the burden of that knowledge.  Father dies - poor tragic Rayna, tearing apart the library, prostrate with grief.  Nothing about Tandy and how she's dealing with betraying their father, etc.  Scandal about divorce breaks out, Tandy's there accompanying her and the girls everywhere, trying to shelter them.  Tandy's in danger - she's hiding somewhere alone.

It wasn't popular, but I really liked Juliette with Deacon.  The age gap is bigger than I like, but she clearly did the pursuing.  I felt that Juliette saw Deacon as he is and appreciated it, versus Rayna who sees Deacon as he was.  Juliette didn't treat him like the drunk I pay to keep around out of pity.  She didn't want him nearby to worship her, or warming the bench for when she tires of someone else.  Rayna decides she wants to start her own label, just because she can - Tandy gives up financial security to help Rayna get it.

Edited by RedheadZombie
  • Love 3

MM where are you you are so good at responding to these comments, me emotions get in my way.

If Rayna doesn't trust Deacon with her heart why then does she keep on going back to him. 1) St. Lucia trip with Liam, instead she goes over to Deacon's and tells him "I love you that's never not been true""I love you" twice she said it. 2) Dating him while knowing that he has a daughter that she never told him about. He was sober for 13 yrs what did he do in those years to hurt her. .She had 13 yrs married to Teddy that were calm so what did Deacon do to hurt her. She calls him to meet her at their favorite place because she needs to talk to him and he goes. If she doesn't want to deal with an alcoholic knowing all she knows about their early emotional years she should have never started a relationship with him again. Oh, and what tough positions does Deacon put her in.

She likes (love?) LW so far but she doesn't know him. Love that word is thrown around so easily. Everytime she sees him she says "I Love You" trying to convince herself but it's not working just look at that last scene. Standing there all alone half smile on her face and then it turns to sad face.

LW is safe, I'm not buying that one. He has a streak of jealousy that is going to appear real soon.

If you refueeing to Deacon and The Rebel Kings Band he decked the top guy because he was going to (rape/molest) Scarlette after the performance and Deacon was there just in time to stop him so he fired Deacon.

Sutton: My opinion of Rayna comes both from how she acts on the show and from knowing several women who have been in love with alcoholics. She's such a textbook, perfect case of a woman in love with a tender-hearted, loving, generous wonderful man who is also a violent, scary alcholic. It's like Callie Khouri went to an Al-Anon meeting, listened to the women there tell the stories of their lives, and then came home and wrote Rayna. She's not unique at all as far as that goes, and so everything she does makes perfect sense to me. People who love and stay with addicts are both incredibly sympathetic and sad, and also infuriating. (So are the addicts usually.) But one thing that I've always admired about that type of person is the absolute devotion to and faith in the addict. No matter what Deacon does--hit her, yell at her, disappoint her, write a song for her, show up for her, not show up for her, whatever--Rayna just loves him. That's it. That's why she can't let him go. And even though it can be super unhealthy, there's also something really valuable and lovely in the strength of that kind of commitment, I think. Of course it's selfish on some level. She wants him around because she loves him, being with him makes her feel good a lot of the time, he gets her, etc. She tried to set up a new kind of relationship, she tried to let him go romantically, she tried to erect boundaries--all the things everyone tells her she's supposed to do to be healthy, she has tried to do. But it doesn't work because she just loves him--that's as much a fact for her as her hair is light red--and it never goes away.

If Deacon didn't reciprocate that, I'd say that's really sad, I'm very sorry, but Rayna needs to move on. But he does reciprocate. He's exactly the same. No matter what she does--leave him, stay with him, fight with him, keep their kid a secret from him, send him to rehab, marry someone else, whatever--he just loves her. It doesn't go away. So I don't think they're ever going to solve their problem by separating. They tried that and failed miserably. They need to accept it, confront it, and commit to it. I think Rayna's too scared and Deacon is still a little too clingy to do that. He's much, much better, but on some level, he's still reaching out for her because he doesn't want to lose her, not because he feels like he deserves her. What he should have said to her instead of proposing was something like, "I know you're scared, I know this is screwed up and hard, but please don't lock yourself up in another marriage until we can work this out, even if it takes years to do." He could have still given her the ring back; it is hers, he gave it to her because he loves her, she should have it. But he didn't do that. Instead, he did the same thing he did before when she started dating Teddy. Because he's no longer drinking, it's not really dangerous, but for Rayna, it's all the same stuff he always did. The alcoholic's cycle goes like this: I love you, I love you, drink, disappear, fight, throw stuff, break stuff, fight, cry, baby I'm so sorry, forgive me, I love you, I'm a changed man, it'll never happen again. Repeat. To Rayna, it looks like they're in the "I'm a changed man, it'll never happen again" stage. She has no way of knowing that they're on a different track now. And honestly, the only reason we know is because this is TV and not real life. In real life, romantic idiot's take would be the responsible thing to say, even if we're all wrong and Deacon actually finally is a changed man this time.

I think Rayna is marrying Luke for the same reason she married Teddy. Sure, she likes Luke fine, she probably loves him on some level, but mostly she's hiding from Deacon. She knows she won't have an affair with Deacon; they just aren't like that. So if she locks herself into a marriage, she knows she won't fall back into the crazy, scary cycle. If she's single and he's single, though, says her fear, she knows she will have no self-control and will get involved with him again, and god only knows what will happen. For all his wonderful qualities, Deacon battered her emotionally for years; the negative effect of that doesn't just disappear because he stops doing it. Rayna isn't tough and strong and confident at all when it comes to this. She's completely broken and has been throughout the run of this show. She thinks her heart and spirit will be safe in a marriage to Luke, even if we all think he's a condescending ass (I totally do think that and also agree that she's wrong that her heart will be safe with him).

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 2