Type keyword(s) to search

The Cast In Other Roles-ish

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

black-ish's cast has done lots of other things, such as star Anthony Anderson, who's not only done comedy on TV and in film, he's done drama, such as Law & Order and The Departed. Then there's Tracee Ellis Ross, who starred in Girlfriends And then there's Laurence Fishburne, who has been in, among other parts, Apocalypse Now, School Daze, Boyz N the Hood, King Of New York and has played Morpheus in the Matrix trilogy.

Whether regulars or guest stars, talk about the black-ish cast's other acting roles here.

Laurence's most important role was on Pee Wee's Playhouse. :D

Currently he's also in Hannibal. He, the other actors, and the show are so fantastic. I didn't particularly like him in CSI, but that's probably more to do with the character than with him.

• Love 1

Possibly; there are rumors about practically anything. (Or maybe he once joked about it -- "no, that was some other guy.") His acting record shows that he used Laurence (sometimes Laurence III) as a child actor, merging into Larry as an adult, until more than a decade later he decided to change back. There's a New York Times Sunday Arts page feature about the latter juncture, titled "Once Larry, Now Laurence" (August 8, 1993). It quotes him as requesting "the Olivier spelling, please." I don't see why roles done as Larry shouldn't count, unless that's a joke I didn't get (in which case, apologies for spoiling it).

Speaking of Olivier, there was an article in Shakespeare Bulletin (Fall 2009) that took the form of a conversation between Fishburne and Harry Lennix, about playing Shakespeare, and Othello in particular. One topic was figuring out what to make of Olivier's film -- a great actor, playing in blackface. (Interestingly, they don't go for instant condemnation.)

Edited by Rinaldo

I just looked thru it. There are several shows/movies I've seen him in. Probably the best one, imo, is The Shield. Man, his character was a bad dude. He was also in The Bernie Mac Show for a few eps, but I don't remember him.

I went through Anthony Anderson's IMDB profile and it looks like his only previous role I've seen was as Percy "Bone" Hamilton in the Veronica Mars episode Lord of the Bling.

Seriously?  That's surprising because he has a LOT of credits -- I think he averages five screen credits per year.  In the early 2000s it seemed you couldn't see any movie without him in it!!  Also, his stint on L&O with Jeremy Sisto and Linus Roache really breathed life back into the series.  It was a real shame they cancelled it.

• Love 2

In the early 2000s it seemed you couldn't see any movie without him in it!!  

My movie-going has trailed off since 2000-ish:  I haven't seen any of the movies AA did from 2000 - 2005.  I have seen The Departed and The Big Year, but have no recollection of him in either of those.  But as soon as paulvdb said "Lord of the Bling" from VM, I knew that's where I'd seen him.

Seriously?  That's surprising because he has a LOT of credits -- I think he averages five screen credits per year.  In the early 2000s it seemed you couldn't see any movie without him in it!!  Also, his stint on L&O with Jeremy Sisto and Linus Roache really breathed life back into the series.  It was a real shame they cancelled it.

I'm not a big movie watcher, so I didn't see any of those movies. Although it appears that I glanced over the list a bit too fast because I just went over the list again and noticed that he was in Transformers and I saw that movie.

A bit of a weird one: Fishburne played Ike Turner in What's Love Got to Do with It, while Jennifer Lewis played Tina's mother. As far as I recall they don't have any scenes together, just like this show.

• Love 1

I just caught Jenifer Lewis in a "Murphy Brown" episode from 1990. It was a small role as a sales clerk in a drug store. I didn't recognize her at first - she had no closeups - but once she spoke I knew it was her. She looked  almost the same as on "Black-ish"; I can't believe she's now 58!

I'm surprised that no one had mentioned Tracy Ellis Ross was on a popular show called Girlfriends. She also hosts that show Black Girls Rock! on BET/Centric each year.

And she was in a show with Malcolm-Jamal Warner on BET that lasted for a season. I think they played a newly married couple of a blended family.
  • Love 2

Peter Mackenzie, who plays Dre's boss was on Supergirl this week. One of the characters called his character a "bastion of white male privilege,"

I wonder if that's what his agent looks for in roles? "Hey Peter, I've got another script for a "privileged white male", you interested?"

• Love 1

Deon Cole will be in a new show on TBS called 'Angie Tribeca' which premieres on Jan 17, 2016 in a 25 hour marathon.

I haven't seen Angie Tribeca although I love Deon and miss Charlie so much. How has it done with critics and in the ratings? 

I may have to go see Barbershop: The Next Cut to get a Deon fix.

I haven't seen Angie Tribeca although I love Deon and miss Charlie so much. How has it done with critics and in the ratings? 

I may have to go see Barbershop: The Next Cut to get a Deon fix.

I re-watched Barbershop I and II last weekend with my children. They want to see Part 3 but had never seen the first two. I had no idea that Deon Cole was in both movies. He was a little heavier back then. 

As was Anthony Anderson. Although he's no Twiggy now, he was definitely heavier and had a round, cherub-like face. 

I just caught Jenifer Lewis in a "Murphy Brown" episode from 1990. It was a small role as a sales clerk in a drug store. I didn't recognize her at first - she had no closeups - but once she spoke I knew it was her. She looked  almost the same as on "Black-ish"; I can't believe she's now 58!

Jennifer Lewis has appeared in so many movies and TV shows, it's unbelievable. She usually plays some variation of a Ruby-like character but she's always hilarious. I did like her more dramatic turn in the movie, "Dancing In September."

Edited by topanga

And she was in a show with Malcolm-Jamal Warner on BET that lasted for a season. I think they played a newly married couple of a blended family.

It was called Reed Between the Lines. It was a nice show and I was sad that it didn't get picked up at the time. I am glad that it left Tracy available to do this though.

I've been binge-watching season 1 of Angie Tribeca and it's not that great. It's like the Naked Gun and Airplane movies with very broad, over-the-top humor and running jokes that are sometimes funny and sometimes annoying. I wanted to see it for Deon Cole, but he's woefully underused. Sometimes he only gets two or three lines in an episode.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 7:35 PM, fishcakes said:

I've been binge-watching season 1 of Angie Tribeca and it's not that great. It's like the Naked Gun and Airplane movies with very broad, over-the-top humor and running jokes that are sometimes funny and sometimes annoying. I wanted to see it for Deon Cole, but he's woefully underused. Sometimes he only gets two or three lines in an episode.

I only lasted for two or three episodes.  Just found I wasn't laughing all that much.  It quickly became more annoying than funny for me.

• Love 1

Not sure if this is the right place, but I saw Deon Cole perform stand-up this weekend. Sold out seven shows. He kept adding shows and they kept selling out.  He's hilarious and actually pretty handsome in person. Most importantly, he was very gracious. 

Edited by charmed1
  • Love 2

The actress who plays Diane starred in An American Girl Story - Melody 1963. I saw it on Amazon Prime - not sure where else it might be available. I don't know what the other American Girl stories are like, but I appreciated that this showed some of the ugliness of the time. 

Amazon Prime also has Morris from America which stars the kid who played Eustace.

I think this is the right thread for this...

Every single time I see a grown-ish commercial I can't help but think they made a huge mistake by doing it with Yara instead of the kid that plays junior. Smells like Lisa Bonet and a different world all over again. Yara is cute and has some hype behind her but I don't think she can carry a show. Now JUNIOR...Oh I'd LOVE to watch him in college. It's funny because back in the day I would've much preferred to watch theo or rudy in college and now it's Junior or wait for Diane.

Hopefully the show has a whitley or dwayne or can hold on long enough for junior to get there.

Edited by dirtypop90
  • Love 1

'Black-ish' Breakout Marsai Martin to Star in 'Little' for Will Packer, Kenya Barris

The Black-ish breakout is attached to star in the Universal comedy that centers on a woman who gets the chance to relive the carefree life as her younger self (Martin), when the pressures of adulthood become too much.

The deal is not only noteworthy for Martin as an actress (it will mark her first studio feature) but also a creative force. The 13-year-old came up with the idea for the script and will also executive produce.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 2

Marsai Martin (Diane) was in several of the later episodes of this season's Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. She played a high school student in the drama club and her character stars as Belle in a production of Beauty and the Beast. There's a bit of a Black-ish joke when her character melts down on stage during the curtain call. The girl finally notices that her parents didn't bother to attend the performance to see her theatrical triumph. (Because of course Dre only cares about Zoey and Bow was probably working a night shift at the hospital.)

Marsai Martin is doing a lot of press during the roll up to Liitle's opening in theaters but one of my favorites is the one she did with NPR. It aired today on the Morning Edition program:

Meet Marsai Martin, The Youngest Executive Producer In Hollywood

I agree that her people are styling her to look older. Not sure if that's a good idea since one of the general common digs against Black girls is that they in particular act and look more adult than they are, in a way that is presumed to lead to problematic issues. (I.e, the Jezebel stereotype.) That said, I thought the gown she wore to the NAACP Image Awards was stunning. Look out Jennifer Lawrence and Lady Gaga. Marsai is bringing her gown game and she is not playing. 😉

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 1