Type keyword(s) to search

Caleb Johnson

• Start Topic

Have fans been saying anything about this interview on Twitter? I don't follow Caleb, and I am curious of the reaction.

ETA….I just watched the interview. WOW is all I could say.

Using the R word was horrible, but he also insulted his fans by mocking them for giving him song suggestions on Twitter. Dude, these same fans will be your bread and butter!!!

And the first thing that comes to mind about the hometown parade is hookers and cocaine?!

Just go away Caleb……I used to be impressed by your voice, but you need more than a good voice to be a fan of mine.

Social media reactions seem mixed as far as I can tell. Some fans are more forgiving than others. Some have decided they don't want to be a fan anymore. Some like myself have decided we still appreciate his talent but he needs to grow up and mature and doesn't deserve to win at this point. It's a mixed bag.

Well it's interesting that for all 3 the offensive is just listed as "not specified." But who knows, it could be something as small as having possession of illegal drugs like marijuana or underaged drinking. I'm sure the producers know about it or else they would have kicked him off like they did to Jermaine Jones in Season 11. As long as they disclose the info to producers, they are allowed to continue on the show (Curtis Finch Jr. in Season 12, for example) What's interesting is that none of this surfaced until just now, when he made the "r*****" remark. Just like Curtis's arrest record did not surface until he made Top 10 and people disliked how he acted in Hollywood Week. Seems like people want Caleb to get the boot this week just like they wanted Curtis gone. It got rid of Curtis, if enough people hear about Caleb's arrest record, that combined with the r***** remark, will definitely get him booted this week. 

I'm honestly very sad for him. He seems like a really talented guy and people who know him in real life have commented on the situation, saying he's a nice guy. But due to some stupid decisions he's made, whether it's things he's done or things he's said, he is shooting himself in the foot and ruining his own chances to actually have a successful career at something that he happens to be excellent at. I'm hoping maybe when he gets the boot, whether it's this week or the following week, he will get out of the spotlight for a while and grow up and mature a little. He has a lot of maturing to do before he's ready for a career in this business. He could have a great career if he grew up. It's just sad to see someone get in their own way like that. I hope the best for him though. I think in a few years he may come back out and form a band or something and maybe have a decent-sized following, maybe tour along with James Durbin or Daughtry to somebody. He has the talent to do it, he just needs to grow up. 

rereader2--I think the term "Sparkle Cows" started out as a derogatory term for Adam Lambert's over-40-fans but as I understand it, some women in that group turned it around and embraced it and use it somewhat lovingly and proudly.  But I agree with you, it does sound disrespectful.

I saw this on another now defunct website years ago (I think it was Vote for The Worst). Now as an over 50-ish heavy set woman, I think it's pretty hilarious (since I don't wear sparkles). But that was the year my co-worker (in her 60s) got all her friends to dress up in hand decorated hand made sparkly Adam Lambert T-shirts (they copied his face on the T-shirts) to wear to one of his concerts. (she didn't know about the sparkle cow comments and I certainly didn't tell her). I think there was some other term having to do with Frauleins that is escaping me (from the Clay Aiken period). But I've seen WFKASCs (Women Formerly Known as Sparkle Cows) at all kinds of concerts, not just AI alumni ones. 

• Love 2

Sadly, if this is a documented legal record, it does not surprise me at all. Caleb has exhibited an arrogant, thoughtless, in-your-face attitude from the very beginning, which turned me off immediately. If his recent comments, coupled with this apparent arrest record, derail him at this point, he has no one to blame but himself. Not that he has the self-awareness to even admit that. It's unfortunate, because he has a voice; he has stage presence; he exudes self-confidence. He just lacks any semblance of humility.

• Love 2

Speaking of crimes, it's not related to Caleb but I don't know where else we can talk about this. Scotty McCreery and his friends were robbed at their college apartment and held up at gunpoint early this morning. The robbers stole everything they had, cash, wallets, electronics, etc. Thankfully Scotty and his friends were all okay and they are working with the NC police to try to capture the robbers. He tweeted about it later today to let everyone know he was okay. My heart is broken for him. He may not be to everyone's tastes but he's a nice young man and in no way did he deserve that. I hope they catch the criminals and that they get all their belongings back. But even that will never be enough to erase the scar that he will have to live with the rest of his life. I'm sure that had to be one of the scariest moments of his life, having complete strangers barge into his home like that and hold them up at gunpoint, stealing everything they had. What a cruel world we live in. Nobody deserves that, especially not a nice guy like Scotty. 

• Love 2

Or not specified as in someone with a bug up their ass about Caleb photoshopped it. Either way, I'm sure Idol knows and I doubt they'd try and "suddenly discover" something like that at this stage in the game. My guess is it's either completely made up or nothing that would disqualify him from the show.

• Love 2
(edited)

I agree. It's no coincidence this supposed arrest record suddenly appears right when he makes the "r*****" remark. Clearly somebody wants this guy gone as if they think that remark won't be enough to do the job. From a Google search I haven't found anything about the matter other than the article posted here. It's very easy for anyone to photoshop something like this and why it would just suddenly come up now, this late in the competition, right after he made a poor remark, seems fishy.

Edited by BogoGog24

Lol, anything's possible, but since only one obscure website is bothering to "report" it, guess they aren't doing a real good job either way. Guess that brings in motivation #3: click bait. The Interwebs are so much fun.

I'm still not convinced anyone who doesn't frequent idol forums/blogs or follow him on twitter is even aware of this tempest in a teapot. Idol just isn't buzz worthy anymore.

Only Yahoo and MJs Big Blog really reported about it. Not even TVLine reported on it. This is probably the one instance where people should be glad nobody cares that much about Idol anymore. Not only does it reflect poorly on Caleb, but it was a big face palm for the show as well. They're probably hoping to just sweep it under the rug like nothing happened and move on. If this had happened back in the glory days, they'd have some 'splainin' to do.

It's possible some really diehards made up the arrest records for sympathy votes but I don't see how an arrest record would make people want to forgive Caleb. That would probably just make the situation worse and give people even more of a reason to boot him since nobody would want an ex-criminal as our Idol. If it was made purely for sympathy votes, I think it will just backfire.

I was busy with real life all weekend.  Yesterday, a guy at work asked me if I thought Caleb blew it with his remarks.  I didn't know anything about it, so I came here to see.  I've been watching AI since season one.  This year has the least buzz of all.  I don't think anyone cares.

His remarks were not pc.  He may not have realized how people would run with it.   He needs to watch his mouth.  Hopefully, he's learned a lesson.

Caleb's remarks actually show us a lot more that he probably realizes.  Making jokes about people with peanut allergies, referring to older generations as old ladies, references to drugs and hookers on his home visit (should he make it so far) referencing how he uses subtle manipulation such as using his baby face, etc all show the world his real self.  He seems impatient, and appears that he doesn't like any criticism from the judges even though they have all been around for a long time and earned their stripes.  He seems entitled and immature, and this latest fiasco is no surprise to me.  Reminds me of those child actors that implode when the spotlight is not on them.  

• Love 5

Caleb could kill (in the good way) a song like Dirty Dancer by Enrique Iglesias and come across as relevant and current (imo), but I don't want to tweet it to his Royal Heiny because I don't want to "bother" him and be the R word.

@ari333 I love the term Royal Heiny! We use it in our family to call each other out.

As for Caleb, I have gotten to the point with him I can't stand hearing him sing at all. If I want to hear 80s hair band style songs I'll listen to the real thing.

• Love 2

@joystickenvy: 

I can't imagine they want this guy as their winner now. The show is in it's death throes either way, but they could at least try to avoid another black eye on the way out. Kind of surprised Idol lets these untrained kids give these types of interviews to begin with

OK - and this gives another perspective to all the "scripted spontaneous" dinner conversations we've seen on AI this season.  You know, where they are all sitting arond and reciting lines about their "journey" and all that other crap.   They probably have Caleb recite his lines several times to make sure he's got them memorized and doesn't go off-script on TV. 

I know he was on a previous season, but I don't remember what happened, only that I had a negative opinion of him.  anybody recall what happened last time he was on Idol, and didn't make it to the top 12?

• Love 1
(edited)

OK - and this gives another perspective to all the "scripted spontaneous" dinner conversations we've seen on AI this season.  You know, where they are all sitting arond and reciting lines about their "journey" and all that other crap.   They probably have Caleb recite his lines several times to make sure he's got them memorized and doesn't go off-script on TV. 

I know he was on a previous season, but I don't remember what happened, only that I had a negative opinion of him.  anybody recall what happened last time he was on Idol, and didn't make it to the top 12?

I don't recall Caleb on previous seasons; but now that we're talking about it, I'm interested in how that progressed and.... apparently fizzled. I can't remember.

I prefer Alex, but I'll take Caleb over Jehna since she's who seems to be shoved down my throat .....feels what's being shoveled down it.... [/bad syntax. sorry] BAH!

Edited by ari333

Caleb was previously on Seasons 10 and 11. In S10 he was in James Durbin's group in Hollywood Week. And I think in S11 during the Vegas round, when they were on that stage surrounded by water, Caleb forgot the words to his song and was like "Can I get a glass of water?" and Steven Tyler said "You're surrounded by it!" In both seasons he failed to make it past the Green Mile round. I happened to find a very low quality video from that Vegas round (might have been S10) when they all had to do those old 1950s songs and his voice was not as strong then as it is now. (He was probably around 19 his first time auditioning) He's definitely improved a lot.

(edited)

Well, Caleb didn't give up, so props for that. I'll take him over Jehna any day and twice on Sunday (if I can't have Alex FTW.)

Edited by ari333

Caleb is I think the only top 10 contestant this year who has auditioned multiple times. CJ and Jess I think had both auditioned for The Voice before but not Idol, and Emily Piriz auditioned for Idol and other shows before but she only reached 12th place so I don't really count her. He's definitely the only one who auditioned 3 times (a la Candice). I always applaud contestants who come back. I don't understand how some majorly talented people like Candice, Joshua, Caleb, etc. have to audition like 2 or 3 times but then arguably mediocre contestants like Scotty, Phillip, Jessica Meuse, CJ, etc. can make it through the first time. Just shows it's more about having the right image for the show and not necessarily who has the most talent.

I always assume they have a specific cast of characters they want to fill and that is why some returnees make it on later seasons.

His first time they already had James as their rocker. Last year there was a moratorium on casting guys they thought anyone would actually vote for.

I do wish they'd cast more for talent and less for personality, but then again every year there's the Sams and Jessicas and Krees, etc who get ragged on endlessly for being " boring" so I guess I get why they do it.

• Love 1

I don't understand how some majorly talented people like Candice, Joshua, Caleb, etc. have to audition like 2 or 3 times but then arguably mediocre contestants like Scotty, Phillip, Jessica Meuse, CJ, etc. can make it through the first time.

Or people like Amber Riley who never made it past the initial rounds but went on to be cast on Glee and tear the place up every time she sings. I agree they look for "types" - if you look at the top ten/twelve there is a mix of types/ genres/ looks. I'm a Caleb fan but a whole show full of them would be like a Tabasco sandwich with jalapeno dressing and tequila for dessert - too spicy. Likewise a whole show of Sam/Alex types would be too bland for my liking (or the infamous WGWG - white guys with guitars). Too Many JENASW#$*&^ would force me to buy more pencils to stick in my neck. So I'm good with variety but they should all be talented with their own genre. 

She also isn't that good of a singer, which is why she's in a group.

I don't recall Caleb on previous seasons; but now that we're talking about it, I'm interested in how that progressed and.... apparently fizzled. I can't remember.

it's too bad he hadn't auditioned in season 9. I loved reading Simon's comments to Candice (who I personally didn't think should've won) about how she would never be anything more than a lounge singer, and then she unsurprisingly flopped harder than any previous winner.

I'm guessing Simon would've hated this guy, too.

If the ptb have "silenced" Harry I wonder what they might have done with Simon...I miss Simon and would have loved to hear his comments about all of them!!

• Love 1

If you have any interest in hearing one of Caleb's first gigs post-Idol, he is performing on the PBS broadcast National Memorial Day Concert right now.  He just sang the national anthem, and sang quite well, if a little ahead of the orchestra.  He got a credit during the opening credits, so that makes me think he'll perform again.

• Love 2
(edited)

He did a great job except for the "the land of the Fray" part. Other than that he sounded awesome. Better than Steven Tyler's scream fest rendition.

Edited by BogoGog24
(edited)

Here is Caleb's Hollywood week performance during season 10:

Caleb's audition 2011 (not sure what season):

Caleb, Vegas Week, Elvis:

Caleb, original song, Down To The River

Caleb, original song, Left To Die

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpt6K8de6Tw

Caleb, home recording, Oh Darling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CXxhW1fO0s

Caleb with his band, Funky Music

Caleb, home recording, Whole Lotta Love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtiwxDOO-no

Edited by observer

Here is Caleb's Hollywood week performance during season 10:

Caleb's audition 2011 (not sure what season):

Caleb, Vegas Week, Elvis:

Caleb, original song, Down To The River

Caleb, original song, Left To Die

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpt6K8de6Tw

Caleb, home recording, Oh Darling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CXxhW1fO0s

Caleb with his band, Funky Music

Caleb, home recording, Whole Lotta Love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtiwxDOO-no

The audition from 2011 would have been Season 10, the season with Scotty and James. 

I have to say, as much as I like the qualtiy of his voice, he does sing everything exactly the same. I like the masculinity of his voice, but I miss- nuance? intelligence?- I don't know; there's something that makes him seem kind of one-dimensional.

Well, at least he's getting a chance; it's too bad that recent winners don't really get the kind of money that would give him a significant nest egg to fall back on later.

I agree. I love his voice and style but it does sort of only fit one thing. His voice is not really that versatile. He can do hard rock and that's about it. Although his imitation of Harry was pretty good. Caleb is basically the type of singer who does one thing really really well, as opposed to being a singer who is good at various things but maybe not great. Which is okay. Not everyone can be a versatile singer, some people are just made for a very specific genre and that's the kind of singer Caleb is. You can see/hear a massive improvement from his audition in S10 to how he sings and performs now. Like he had that gritty rock tone back then but it wasn't quite all the way there just yet. He really has improved so much.

Caleb was Jena's prom date at her high school prom the other night.

Heh.  I think that got mentioned a time or two on Idol (or maybe fourteen or fifteen times!)

I went on over to YouTube to see who won Idol and I see it's Meatloaf.  I assume via the Hot Tub Time Machine or something.

I double checked the video to make sure it was real.

So basicially my reaction to this year's winner is "Seriously?"

• Love 6

Only able to see the Hollywood song with James Durbin, the other videos won't work.  I did notice, probably due to editing knowing who made it through, that while James got a lot of exposure during the song, we really didn't hear much of anything by Caleb during the song.

But yeah, really how much decision, if any, is really by the judges and not TPTB.

When Philip Phillips sang the National Anthem at the 2nd game of the World Series, it took me awhile to realize that it was odd they weren't having the most recent AI winner sing.  I forgot about it until tonight's game, so I checked on what Caleb is up to... apparently he already released his album.  It came out in August and has sold.... 11,000 copies.  Really.

What even is the point of winning this show if they don't even promote you or help you sell albums?

Some years ago they probably did care but now they have dozens of successful alum and don't really need to prove anything anymore. They'll always own Kelly, Carrie, Adam, Phillip, Scotty, and several others, which is more than any other show of its kind has. At this point, it doesn't matter who wins.

• Love 1