Type keyword(s) to search

Haven: Origins - Once Upon a Time in Stephen-King-Land

MarkHB

I'm not sure if anyone else here has spotted this yet, but there are some official webisodes starting to come out, named Haven: Origins.  They have their own Twitter account and everything.  Ep. 2 is out Friday (9/26), making 2 weeks since Episode 1.  (Note: my intent in adding the Spoiler tag is so we can discuss what's in the videos regardless of whether it foreshadows or spoils anything that may be coming in the actual show, not to make this a general spoiler thread.)

Here's Part 1, including a shot of something we've all seen many times.

• Love 1

So that's Mara's mother?

I'm confused about the timeline. Origins - Witches, Part 1 is set in 1698. The SyFy character bio says Mara "created the Troubles with William back in the late 1800s." If Mary is indeed Mara's mother, and Mara led a normal life until her late 20s, then what happened during the next century & a half?

Then again, Mara is emotionally immature. Maybe she spent 200 years in the barn, but only experienced it as twenty-something years?

So that's Mara's mother?

This happened in 1698, Mara would have been in the barn already at this time, if she went in 500 years ago. Mary can be a variant of the name Mara and both can mean bitter. Mary also means rebellion and wished for child. I have no idea what is going on, the date doesn't fall within the trouble cycle so she may not be just another troubled person.

For those who have followed previous webisodes, did they actually reveal something significant not revealed in the series?

Edited by BlueJay81
  • Love 1

It's the only one I'm aware of.  So far as 1698 goes, that was probably chosen because it's just 4 or 5 years after Salem (Maine would have recently been joined with the Massachusetts Bay Colony at the time).  I'd ignore the "1800's" remark in the character bio as a mistake or typo by the same people who think Ghost Hunters is scary.  500 years ago is silly unless Mara created the Troubles in England; the earliest permanent Maine settlement wasn't until the 1620's (even Plymouth wasn't settled until 1620); there was an attempt at a colony at Popham in 1607 but they quit after a year (although they built the first English-built ship in the New World to get themselves out).

• Love 1

It's the only one I'm aware of.  So far as 1698 goes, that was probably chosen because it's just 4 or 5 years after Salem (Maine would have recently been joined with the Massachusetts Bay Colony at the time).  I'd ignore the "1800's" remark in the character bio as a mistake or typo by the same people who think Ghost Hunters is scary.  500 years ago is silly unless Mara created the Troubles in England; the earliest permanent Maine settlement wasn't until the 1620's (even Plymouth wasn't settled until 1620); there was an attempt at a colony at Popham in 1607 but they quit after a year (although they built the first English-built ship in the New World to get themselves out).

Vince and Dave mentioned Sebastian Cabot's first contact with the Mi'kmaq in 1497, the Troubles already existed back then. According to the journal the Troubles were pretty similar to what they experience in Haven, except for a period of great evil when things got worse. So that seems to suggest that the Troubles predate colonization.

In fact the name Tuwiuwok, seems to suggest there has always been something supernatural going on. I have heard suggestions that there may be another Haven, perhaps this will explain all these timeline inconsistencies.

Thanks for the info on the webisodes, had thought the previous Guard stuff was more like these webisodes.

Edited by BlueJay81
  • Love 2

I wonder... it may be that the Troubles (or the malevolent forces behind them) existed, but the æther gave Mara and William a way to manipulate them (and I wouldn't be surprised if the Revered Flagg had something to do with their discovery).

I had actually forgotten all about the Guard stuff, to be honest.

(edited)

Finally. Episode 2: "Witches Are..."

Historically, the first encounters between Cabot and Maine's natives must not have gone well.  By the time Verrazzano (same guy the NYC bridge is named for) got there in 1524, the Indians wouldn't allow the ships to land, would only trade by lowering baskets on ropes, and literally mooned the ships as they left, prompting him to christen Maine "The Land of the Bad People".  Maybe Cabot brought Troubles as well?

Final ep is scheduled for October 10 per their Tumblr.

Edited by MarkHB
  • Love 1

Is it Mary or the unborn child with the Trouble here, it's unclear. Vince did mention that the Guard has been around since the beginning so no surprises there.

On a side note, really wish the Guard had lived up to its hype at the beginning of the series. It was so mysterious and seemed so significant but what we've seen of them so far isn't very impressive at all.

The ending is up here.

(spoiler spacing)

It's kind of weak and seems to discount the idea that Mara actually created the Troubles, although she may have been (or may be) able to steer and manipulate them.

• Love 1

It doesn't discount anything. It's all been speculation that the baby or the woman is Mara, and there's no indication that that's true. Whatever we might have guessed the "Origins" title to mean, it's become clear with this installment that it was referring to the origins of the town itself, and that the Troubles predate the settlement we know as Haven.

The reference to 'Mother' is interesting. It brings to mind Audrey in the pilot saying she'd dreamed her mother would rescue all the orphans. I think Mother here refers to something or someone bigger. The originator of their kind?

It does seem like the baby has the supernatural ability and it seems to have a positive effect in the new place, reviving a dead plant. Is this place Mary was taken to, present day Haven or something else? What is the place she was rescued from?

If Mara is telling the truth, she would have created the troubles almost two centuries earlier than when Origins occurs. I think Mary arrives at the Haven we know and that ever since the Troubles started, the Troubled have been assisted by others of their kind to get there. Perhaps the Lost Colony was infected by Troubles and popped through one NC thinnie to emerge in the ones that lead to Haven, ME. This might also explain the unTroubled who live there too. 

• Love 1

Part 2 of the second story, "Native Breaks" is here.

Part 3, which was supposed to be released on the Tumblr December 5, actually appeared on Facebook that day or the next but I had to digging through Twitter to find it.  It's "Native Breaks Free" and it's here.  (I had a bit of trouble with the HD version and had to go low-res to finish it; YMMV.)