Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Accessory Wall

• Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Comparison topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

• Love 2

This may be a totally nerdy idea, but does anyone want to tweet together about the premier this week? Maybe we could come up with our own hashtag? I always have more fun snarking with others when I watch. 

It just boggles the mind that they refuse to schedule the show with an eye towards the calendar and in a manner that keeps the number of decoys to one, two at most. No one wants to see cannon fodder clogging up the speculation (and frankly, if they weren't good enough to do better than the ninth, maybe they haven't earned a spot at Fashion Week, even as just a decoy).

They also have to schedule things around Heidi & Tim's schedules, that's how we ended up with Under The Gunn, Heidi was doing Germany's Next Top Model. Since Heidi is the executive producer, & Tim is a producer, & they made a deal to never do the show without the other person, if one of them isn't available, the show has to schedule things when they both are, not when it would make sense.

What is the accessory wall next season? Belk? TJ Maxxx? Dollar Tree?

I hope someone from PR monitors this forum, because I'm drawing the line at a Wal-Mart accessory wall.  And I don't want to have to not watch PR anymore, so please.....LMAO at a Dollar Tree accessory wall....accessories in a clear, glassine envelope from such top designers as "Fashion Jewels" and "Classy Lady" or "Fashion Lady"

This may be a totally nerdy idea, but does anyone want to tweet together about the premier this week? Maybe we could come up with our own hashtag? I always have more fun snarking with others when I watch. 

Not nerdy, and sounds great, but I don't know how to use twitter :(  But I do love your idea of taking snarking to the next level...in 140 characters or less (this is most of what I've heard about twitter in the news)

• Love 4

Does anyone else feel like the models themselves have become awfully Dollar Tree? Compare the ones this season (or last, or the season before that) with the likes of - in Season Three alone - Nazri, Lindsay, Camilla, Marilinda, even that drama queen Amanda - and the downgrade is undeniable. 

You know, I hadn't really looked at the models lately, because they really seem to have taken any attention off of them.  They don't even do the button bag anymore.  But yes, now that you say it, I believe I agree.  It just irks me because when this show is on its so much fun, I don't see why they need to keep chopping away at quality.  

• Love 2

OMG does Dollar Tree have accessories? Let me grab my sofa change and head out!!

They all have the plastic bag accessories.  99 cents only, Dollar General, Dollar Tree.  Actually, any of those places would have made a more logical choice than Red Robin for a sponsorship.  In a few years when we have the Dollar Tree accessory wall all the models will be wearing discontinued flip flops and earrings with missing plastic pieces.

Dollar-Jewelry-Cover.jpg

and don't even trip, because if PR wants to go all the way there, 99 cents only store can also sponsor the makeup.  We can see how much handlebar is smiling after that!

DSCF0431.JPG

Edited by RealityGal
  • Love 6

I like the idea of Dollar store makeup. Have the contestants order styling for their models using Weird Color That Nobody Bought and Great Color That Was Discontinued and Can Only Be Found in Three Stores in Widely Separated States.

• Love 6

Brought over from the episode 3 thread, because it's fashion-related but off topic episode-wise:

Warning: long, potentially rambling post ahead on one of my favorite and tried and true pieces of clothing - blue jeans. Proceed with caution. You have been warned. ; )

Kitty Redstone: Please, do tell.  I'd love a good pair of well fitting, inexpensive jeans!

Apparently my jeans were older than I thought and I have no idea how to tell what the cut would be called now ... the cut style names have all changed into weird things like "curvy cut" and "boyfriend cut" (WTH? - from the description this is the "evenly proportioned" waist and "relaxed" hip and thigh cut. Are they implying that when you have a boyfriend, you let yourself get "relaxed" or something? Because that's just wrong on many levels). From looking at the descriptions, I think "slightly curvy, bootcut" would be closest to what I have. Pockets are plain now.

Apparently looking at the label of my beloved jeans they are from fall 2006 (though I know I bought them later than that from a local bargain-type Department store - new but likely "leftovers"). They are Eddie Bauer, classic bootcut jeans - the back pockets have a pretty but subtle flower and fern-like leaf pattern (in a lighter denim thread) and there's the usual extra stitching below the waist to define the butt. But basically they have what I would call a somewhat relaxed waist, but the legs fit nicely with a small bootcut flare at the bottom - necessary often for me, because even though these are "short cut", I still need to wear a small 2 inch heeled ankle boot (apparently 5' 4 1/2" is now too short even for petite/short cut) for them not to drag... and they still almost touch the ground. The denim is American made, but I'm not sure if Eddie Bauer still has that now or not.

The thinner leg is a huge improvement for me over jeans when I was growing up which often had smaller waists and large "roomy" legs/hips, so that I was often swimming in the jeans unless I got boys jeans (and at that time I was a stick, so nothing fit... ever). It was all about curves... Laura Ashley and Gunny Sax blouses had built in bustlines (which I never filled), jeans had full hips and thighs (Google Chic Jeans - the popular jean at the time). A touch of spandex in jeans - like my Eddie Bauers - works wonders in my opinion. I wear those jeans all the time and they still look almost new years later (they feel soft though).

Unfortunately I'm not sure  what classic bootcut translates into in the current Eddie Bauer jeans - which seem to run about $50 online currently: ouch. But the "slightly curvy" cut sounds like it would be the closest.

So basically I failed your request : ( . I did try though. The good news - it appears women have many more choices jeans-wise than we used to. And I generally find the jeans that fit me best in local Department stores - ours is called Roses. And me - I avoid low-wasited jeans. For me that road ends in potential camel toe and muffin top (I ain't in my 20s - or even 30s - anymore). Regular-waisted jeans can still look great... if worst comes to worst, wearing my shirt on the outside works just fine for me... as long as it doesn't entirely cover my butt (cause I - and hubby - like that to show ; ) ) I hardly ever get jeans that cost more than $15, and most still fit me great if I'm willing to look (sometimes petite is difficult to find). And I never get jeans made in China. Made in America or with at least American made denim is best. And I find jeans that fit - I get at least 2 pairs... and I never give jeans away. If I gain or lose weight, I still have the perfect fitting jeans just waiitng for me in my closeT. I'll give away sweaters, blouses, dresses, anything else to Goodwill, but my jeans? Never! And good ones last literally decades.

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 2

And providing hair and make-up services? Some random people they found shopping in Dollar Tree.

I just spewed water all over my keyboard. I do scope out Dollar Tree for deals once in awhile and the people are a little better dressed there than WalMart, but not by much. I once saw a lady who literally looked like she just rolled out of bed - no makeup, unbrushed hair, and wearing pajamas. I must have looked a little too long because she shrugged at me and said "It's the Dollar Tree, I'm not dressing up."  (in a friendly tone, not offended or anything but I was still embarrassed)  The thought of her doing makeup or hair is hysterical to me.  She might have won my "worst look in public" but then there was the woman I saw in WalMart with her buck naked child sitting in the kiddie seat - no towel or anything under him - ewww..  The thong hanging out of her way too tight pants, also gross. So I think PR might do ever so slightly better with Dollar Tree if it comes to that.

Edited by NikSac
  • Love 4

OMG does Dollar Tree have accessories? Let me grab my sofa change and head out!!

I found the cutest little purses there! I bought five of them. Perfect size to carry your phone, lipstick, and keys. And, they were sparkly! Every time I carry one, I have so many people ask where I bought them. If I see them again, I'll buy and bunch for friends.

• Love 2
@NikSac - The thought of her doing makeup or hair is hysterical to me.

@Chattygal - Those people you described make me want to cry. That's why I loved Laura Bennett, I have always said the same thing that she did about believing there's a slippery slope into public elastoband pants once one gives in to a casualwear temptations.

Heh, I would be such an anomaly. I, too, shop in Dollar Tree (or I think the one in our area is Dollar General), mostly for the same things @Chattygal mentioned, but ours also generally has an interesting selection of books and glassware (craft glass vessels, candle holders, and vases - usually American made) as well. I'm sort of in the middle. I'm somewhat put together when it comes to my clothes - usually jeans (as I mentioned earlier), but nice ones with a conservative, dressy T-shirt and usually a nice necklace of some kind. I never go out in sweatpants or without a bra. No flip flops or crocs of any kind. But my hair and make-up? I think nothing of going out with my hair still wet (I never blow dry it, and it doesn't get brushed until it dries) and I can count on both hands the number of times in my life (and I've been adult for a long while) that I had my face in make-up. Unless you count a little Ponds skin cream with baby powder under my eyes and on my nose every once in a while as make up. And I public speak regularly as well*, but still I don't do make-up, so someone like me doing make-up? Heh. I'd be lucky I could distinguish a smokey eye from a cat's eye make up. I'd be trying to get the models to go down the runway in a "natural look" and if I did make up, the models would have to sign a waiver in case of getting an eye poked... and don't get me started on hair color.

That might make an interesting real real woman challenge though  - "Designers, today you'll be designing an outfit for these regular shoppers of our sponsor Dollar Tree. The twist? You must design the outfit to go with whatever make up and hair design that they are currently wearing. And make sure it's fashionable." I imagine much crying from the designers would ensue. Any designer I got would likely curl into a ball until my hair dried, and even then only partially recover once they saw my lack of make up. Hee.

* fortunately for me in my profession, we're expected to be a little eccentric, so I can get away with it. Once I start talking excitedly about the wonders of bugs and showing Power Point presentations with giant pictures of spiders and roaches, the fact that I don't wear make-up likely seems mundane in comparison. Hee.

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 4

So...just so we're clear, Tim said "this is a high fashion challenge, so make sure to use the Aldo accessory wall very, very thoughtfully." and then the camera zoomed in on some multicolored, glitter, velcro tennis shoes.  Now you're just rubbing it in our faces.

• Love 11

OK, all of you who discussed Prince Matchabelli and his Windsong song, a plague on all your houses.  That tune has taken up (apparently permanent) residence in my brain.  I call down upon you the strains of "My Sharona."

I will see your piece of musical dreck and ante up with "Horse With No Name."

• Love 5

OK, all of you who discussed Prince Matchabelli and his Windsong song, a plague on all your houses.  That tune has taken up (apparently permanent) residence in my brain.  I call down upon you the strains of "My Sharona."  

The evil unleashed by the two of you is far beyond unfathomable cruelty. I can't imagine what you do to those you truly hate.

• Love 4

Well I raise both of you & throw "What I like About You" into the pot.

• Love 2

"FEEELINGS!!! WOH WOAH FEEEEEELINGS!!!!"

And I'm going for the kill with,

"YOU light UP MY-Uh LIFE!!! You gave me HU-OPe, to carrrrrry Uh-ON!!!

C'mon. Go ahead. I dare you.

Oh, and quick before the mods descend...how come Project Runway doesn't have a theme song?

ETA: For example...

"Waisted days and Basted Nights"

"She don't lie, she don't lie...grosgrain."

Your turn...

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 7

I might be alone in this idea, but I would flip if, say, Gordon Ramsey was a guest judge on PR. He has nothing to do with fashion, but he's not afraid to make his mind known. A PR episode with Ramseyisms in it.

Again, I might be alone here. 

Gordon, upon seeing a fringey garment: "Oh. F**k me."

• Love 5

I might be alone in this idea, but I would flip if, say, Gordon Ramsey was a guest judge on PR. He has nothing to do with fashion, but he's not afraid to make his mind known. A PR episode with Ramseyisms in it.

Again, I might be alone here. 

Gordon, upon seeing a fringey garment: "Oh. F**k me."

Yes, but as part of his marital rehabilitation parole requirement, he would no doubt be compelled to bring his wife along and force the designers to make a "stunning" ensemble for "the most gorgeous, important, light of my life, sainted mother of my children, all that is good and holy person in my world, really, really, all of that affair stuff never happened, really."

After all, if they can shoehorn her as a judge into MasterChef? By comparison, this would almost make sense.

• Love 4

Yes, but as part of his marital rehabilitation parole requirement, he would no doubt be compelled to bring his wife along and force the designers to make a "stunning" ensemble for "the most gorgeous, important, light of my life, sainted mother of my children, all that is good and holy person in my world, really, really, all of that affair stuff never happened, really."

After all, if they can shoehorn her as a judge into MasterChef? By comparison, this would almost make sense.

I like the way you think.  ;)

Pissed off Gordon to fringey dress designer: "C'mere you."

• Love 2

Haha. I had a perfume lotion from Prince Matchabelli in the 70s called Beloved that wasn't too bad. However, I was dating a guy who had liked Wind Song on a previous girlfriend so he bought some for me. When I wore it, he didn't comment so finally I mentioned to him that I was wearing the perfume he'd bought me. He said, "Yeah, but on you it smells like Raid." It went into the garbage. We also didn't date much longer after that.

• Love 5

Haha. I had a perfume lotion from Prince Matchabelli in the 70s called Beloved that wasn't too bad. However, I was dating a guy who had liked Wind Song on a previous girlfriend so he bought some for me. When I wore it, he didn't comment so finally I mentioned to him that I was wearing the perfume he'd bought me. He said, "Yeah, but on you it smells like Raid." It went into the garbage. We also didn't date much longer after that.

So lucky I didn't have anything in my mouth at the moment I read this.  I laughed so loud I scared the kitty off the back of my chair.

• Love 3

"FEEELINGS!!! WOH WOAH FEEEEEELINGS!!!!"

And I'm going for the kill with,

"YOU light UP MY-Uh LIFE!!! You gave me HU-OPe, to carrrrrry Uh-ON!!!

C'mon. Go ahead. I dare you.

Oh, and quick before the mods descend...how come Project Runway doesn't have a theme song?

ETA: For example...

"Waisted days and Basted Nights"

"She don't lie, she don't lie...grosgrain."

Your turn...

As Michelle Pfeiffer said in The Fabulous Baker Boys, "Does anybody really need to hear Feelings again in their lifetime?"

• Love 3

Wow. Mr. Darwin blows his shiny whistle and throws another one out of the gene pool.

Macarthur Park: Someone left the cake out in the rain, I don't think that I can take it, 'Cause it took so long to bake it, And I'll never have that recipe again.

Me, I've been through the desert on a horse with no name.

Seriously, I grew up in the late sixties and early seventies listening to AM radio. Do not go up against someone raised on top 40 when elevator music is on the line.

ETA: Mods, I'm having too much fun, but I know this is way OT. Could someone move the silliness to the accessory thread?

Edited by Julia
  • Love 7
Me, I've been through the desert on a horse with no name.

Seriously, I grew up in the late sixties and early seventies listening to AM radio. Do not go up against someone raised on top 40 when elevator music is on the line.

867-5309.

Edited by auntlada
  • Love 6

If Nina starts saying vagina as often as Kors would say crotch, I am going to start calling her Nina Vagina, but mispronounce vagina so they rhyme.

I would hereby like to nominate, "Neena Vageena" as a thread title for Nina, on the slight chance that she might ever be interesting enough on a consistent basis to merit a thread of her own.

Wow. Mr. Darwin blows his shiny whistle and throws another one out of the gene pool.

Me, too...and all I have to say is, "I've Never Been to Me." Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 3

But I didn't even get to pull out "We had joy we had fun, we had Seasons in the Sun" or "Honey, I miss you. I really doooo, and I long to be with yoooou, if only I could."

:: Giggles like an evil little girl ::

Well, see, it's important to know when to quit!

(Unlike Don McLean...Bye, bye Miss American Pie...#ninjastealthearworm)

I still am working on the PR theme song, though...

• Love 1

Maybe, rather than giving PR a theme song, each designer could have his/her own theme song -

Amanda - "The Surrey with the Fringe on Top" (from the musical Oklahoma!) - or, for those who really dislike her "The B*tch is Back"

Hernan - "I Can't Get No Satisfaction

Fade - did Sprockets have a theme song?

Can't think of one for Sandhya, can't remember anyone else's name

• Love 1

Since I was the one who posted the Wind Song video from YouTube, I'll change that tune with - 

LOVE, Love will keep us together, think of me babe whenever, some sweet talking girl comes along, singing a song...

Hmm, I did that all from memory.  I rest my case.

Now back to the (dull as dirt) accessory wall.

"I would hereby like to nominate, "Neena Vageena" as a thread title for Nina, on the slight chance that she might ever be interesting enough on a consistent basis to merit a thread of her own."

I like this idea, but maybe in honor of Heidi it should be Nein-a Vagina?

• Love 1