Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Accessory Wall

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, holly4755 said:

The funny thing is the cheap clothes I bought when I was young still look good, if out of style,  today, but newer clothes wear out or stain quickly. I m still wearing 40 year old t shirts without stains, but can't seem to keep a new T shirt for an entire year without it getting ruined. 

I've noticed the quality issue between clothes from 20 years ago to now, but hadn't thought much about the stainability, but I think you're right.  I've noticed more and more of my clothes being stained, and very hard or impossible to get clean.  I was beginning to wonder if I somehow got sloppier.  This is on clothes that range from cheap to mid-range price.  I guess it makes sense if manufacturers want us to throw out clothes faster and therefore need to buy more often, but it sucks.  Some tops I loved are stained and after several attempts, even using things the label says not to, just can't get the spot out.  And sometimes it's a weird "subtle" stain, like you have to back up to see it, but then you can never unsee it.  

• Love 3

It's called fast fashion. From the linked article:

Clothing is designed to fall apart.

Fast fashion giants, such as H&M, Zara and Forever21, are concerned with the bottom line and the bottom line alone. Their business models are dependent on the consumers’ desire for new clothing to wear — which is instinctive if the clothing falls apart in one wash.

“A store like H&M produces hundreds of millions of garments per year,” author Elizabeth Cline says on NPR. “They put a small markup on the clothes and earn their profit out of selling an ocean of clothing.”

• Love 1
On November 13, 2017 at 10:10 PM, enoughcats said:

Nope, because I did my shopping though my PC.  In California I did meet the dog out there.  If you are a fan of Swatch (who isn't), the Mood Store has so much more now.  Lots of choices of bags for carrying fabric and lots of Swatch images.  

I can't remember how long ago I'd first gone to the Mood site and they were all sold out of those adorable Swatch T-shirts (Got Treats? with him wearing a little crown) but on a whim I just checked and they are back! in! stock! so despite being unemployed, I ordered one because it will make me smile. 

• Love 1

So I'm watching The Voice (don't judge me! okay, judge me) and based on last night and tonight, the wardrobe people/"stylists"need to all be fired. The looks are tragic. They make the worst PR contestants look like fashion geniuses.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 6/28/2019 at 2:50 PM, allonsyalice said:

So...im in NYC and I went to mood and while I didnt buy anything, I did meet a very good old boy!

1FB1C5BF-C3A4-4B78-873E-1E4590973867.jpeg

B430C30F-5DD8-43DC-88D3-269B7BEF11B6.jpeg

Aw, you got kissed by Swatch! So cool!!!!

• Love 2

O.k. I ordered Sebastian's T-shirt mostly because I wanted to show my support for him. It finally came about a week ago. It made me wonder if anyone here ordered Hester's. If so, did they fix the typos, punctuation errors and spacing issues in the final product???

• LOL 2
3 minutes ago, carrps said:

O.k. I ordered Sebastian's T-shirt mostly because I wanted to show my support for him. It finally came about a week ago. It made me wonder if anyone here ordered Hester's. If so, did they fix the typos, punctuation errors and spacing issues in the final product???

Where did you find it? On 19th Amendment site? I want one of his (because he’s awesome) and one of Garo’s because the bees 🐝 are incredibly important to us as human. 😻

1 minute ago, Stats Queen said:

Where did you find it? On 19th Amendment site? I want one of his (because he’s awesome) and one of Garo’s because the bees 🐝 are incredibly important to us as human. 😻

Yeah, I ordered it like the day after (or maybe two days) after the episode aired. I don't know if they're still selling them. Since they didn't even start making them until then, I'm thinking they might have only made them to fill any orders they got. But, yeah, it was on the 19th Amendment site. I went back and forth on Sebastian's vs. Garo's ('cause I'm all about the bees, too), but I couldn't afford to order more than one and settled on Sebastian's.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, carrps said:

Yeah, I ordered it like the day after (or maybe two days) after the episode aired. I don't know if they're still selling them. Since they didn't even start making them until then, I'm thinking they might have only made them to fill any orders they got. But, yeah, it was on the 19th Amendment site. I went back and forth on Sebastian's vs. Garo's ('cause I'm all about the bees, too), but I couldn't afford to order more than one and settled on Sebastian's.

Thank you so much. That website was not easy to navigate (but wine 🍷 May have been involved with my problem)

• Love 1

There is a new show 'Interior Design Masters' that just started yesterday on the BBC. It is not about fashion, but interior design and they started out with a team challenge where the judges really pointed out the need for compromise to pull a cohesive look together.

It is very much in the vein as some of the BBC's other competition shows (check out their MUA show 'Glow Up', the tasks and guest judges are pretty good) not overly focussed on drama and a themed challenge every week.

I really liked it, and they had Matthew Williamson on as a guest judge.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Aulty said:

There is a new show 'Interior Design Masters' that just started yesterday on the BBC. It is not about fashion, but interior design and they started out with a team challenge where the judges really pointed out the need for compromise to pull a cohesive look together.

It is very much in the vein as some of the BBC's other competition shows (check out their MUA show 'Glow Up', the tasks and guest judges are pretty good) not overly focussed on drama and a themed challenge every week.

I first read that as Marianne Williamson as a guest judge - that would have been fun, funny, and full of love.

• LOL 1
On 7/17/2019 at 12:33 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

What has Heidi done to her face? Her wedding photos look like someone else. Well, except for the boob exposure and the tacky crotch-high slit of her dress.

image.png.032720aee6ac1882a97424f553da58d9.png

On 8/20/2019 at 8:14 PM, Ashforth said:

What has Heidi done to her face? Her wedding photos look like someone else. Well, except for the boob exposure and the tacky crotch-high slit of her dress.

image.png.032720aee6ac1882a97424f553da58d9.png

OMG - i totally agree - what has she done - aging gracefully can be natural and beautiful - 

i love Tim Gunn

On 8/15/2019 at 1:41 AM, Aulty said:

Waaaaa, why didn't I read this thread back in August! Is it on youtube???

On 12/16/2019 at 7:41 AM, Lamb18 said:

Does anyone know of a valid way to watch project Runway if you don't have cable? I ordered this season from Amazon but don't have episode 2 yet.

It appears to finally be up on Amazon. Finally,

I was too late to the hair discussion in the Episode 2 thread, so I'm obeying the hall monitor and taking it here.

I am done with torturing my hair with chemicals and heat. I haven't brushed my hair in years. Brushing makes my hair look worse. It's shortish now, so it's not too out of control, but I just wash my hair, towel dry and smooth in Kevin Murphy's Motion lotion and let it air dry. Then, I'll tweak it slightly, but that's it. Or run my fingers through it.

Even when I was torturing my hair, the least amount of dampness in the air (or sweat from physical exertion) and my hair would sproing back to its natural proclivities. There's a reason a couple of girlfriends and I would call Santa Ana weather "straight hair weather."

• Love 1

I loved Victoria's hair in the most recent episode. I realize (or have heard) that women who have that kind of hair often work hard to make it straighter, but as a woman with almost stick-straight hair, I have always wanted wild, curly hair like that.

• Love 3
On 12/21/2019 at 5:47 PM, auntlada said:

I loved Victoria's hair in the most recent episode. I realize (or have heard) that women who have that kind of hair often work hard to make it straighter, but as a woman with almost stick-straight hair, I have always wanted wild, curly hair like that.

Both my sisters have straight hair. My brother and I were the ones with curly hair. It took me over 30 years of my life to accept my hair, but once I did, I felt liberated!

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Ashforth said:

Wow, a whole lotta fug with a few awesome looks sprinkled in.

You were not exaggerating on the amount of fug. Some of those outfits had me thinking what the...? What did those actresses do to their stylists to deserve that?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

There were far more that I didn't like than did, but this one is perhaps the one that just pissed me off, lol.  To me, it looks like she threw a long white skirt over her 2-sizes-too-small swimsuit.

Put those things away Salma.  Nobody cares.

Golden-Globes-2020-Salma-Hayek-Slide.jpg

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 2