Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Accessory Wall

• Start Topic

LOVE, Love will keep us together, think of me babe whenever, some sweet talking girl comes along, singing a song...

Hmm, I did that all from memory.  I rest my case.

I remember Muscrat Love.  Whatever case you're resting, I'll rest mine next to it.  :-)

Heh, true, but I'd rather have the muffin man stuck in my head than either "Do your ears hang low, do they wobble too and fro..." or even worse "I love you. You love me. We're a happy family..." ahhhh! Dinosaurs have never been so scary, in my opinion.

• Love 1

I'm seeing all of this and raising it to a If You Could Read My Mind.  If that doesn't do it for you there's always The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.  Super 70's!

Heh.  I knew I'd was home here at PTV when I found out that Gordon Lightfoot is the name of David T. Cole's dog.  :-)

• Love 2

Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood. (If you don't have a small child, it's the same tune as Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood and some of the same words. I'm not saying it's a bad song. It just sticks in your head all freaking day long.)

I'm having a make-it-work moment of my own right now; I just moved and I have an interview for a seamstress job on Friday morning but they want me to bring in a sample of my work.  Unfortunately I brought almost nothing with me so I don't have a single stitch of my own sewing to show them.  When I got the e-mail, I looked at the calendar, and I thought..."Two days, well, it's better than Project Runway...."

• Love 7

It's a make it work moment KimberStormer!  Good luck, and yes - pictures please!

I've started sewing a bit after many years of not being so inclined because my kid is into cosplay.   It's quite the trip to buy material and lay out patterns.  I had to have my mother help on a skirt in particular, the mini malotte had bought the fabric she wanted without any thinking that 'oh, I guess you can see thru this' - she just liked the color and feel.  Oy vey!    

• Love 1

That's so cool, Cherry. I hope you will share pictures as well. I've been binging on PR these past few days and it make me want to scrap together $100 worth of materials and throw something together. Then I remember the outcome of the menswear challenges and the fact I can't sew... XD I think I could throw together something with the power of time, google, and youtube though.

I've got a lot of t-shirts from back in the day when the husband and I used to go to a lot of concerts and I'd like to make a quilt out of them.  The Higher Powers know I'll never fit into them again, and the mini doesn't care for Echo & The Bunnymen or Oingo Boingo so she doesn't want to wear them.  *heavy sigh* This is more a winter project though, and something I'm going to research fully before I start threading up the sewing machine.   

• Love 2

I've got a lot of t-shirts from back in the day when the husband and I used to go to a lot of concerts and I'd like to make a quilt out of them.  The Higher Powers know I'll never fit into them again, and the mini doesn't care for Echo & The Bunnymen or Oingo Boingo so she doesn't want to wear them.  *heavy sigh* This is more a winter project though, and something I'm going to research fully before I start threading up the sewing machine.   

Bring on the dancing horses wherever they may roam!

• Love 1

No idea where you are, Cherry, but there's probably a quilter in your area that would do that for you. My brother found someone to make four quilts out of my dad's shirts after he (my father, not my brother) died, and my mom has another one made from Dad's T-shirts. If you have an HCE group near you, check with it. If you don't know if you have an HCE group, call your county extension office and ask the family and consumer science educator (used to be called the home economist) for a recommendation.

Did you know that there is a real competition for designers? Until I saw The Fashion Fund on Ovation last year I didn't either. Alexander Wang was one of the past winners. Anna Wintour is one of the judges. So this is as they proclaim, the real deal. It starts Nov 9th. I'm so excited.

www.monstersandcritics.com/anna-wintour-and-diane-von-furstenberg-are-back-in-ovations-the-fashion-fund-videos/

I'm going to test drive a couple of the shirts first and make a couple of pillows - but I'm waiting for the cold to start blowing over the lovely flatlands and the holidays to get themselves over with.  

Parents of toddlers - sneak in some Bowery Boys and Laurel & Hardy shorts into their daily watch time.  Makes for a well rounded education.   

5 minutes of classic Michael Kors

The YouTube video of Santino & Tim in the Finale Part 1 thread had me rolling!  Of course, I had to click on some more related videos.  I miss Michael and his unmatched snark....

• Love 2

5 minutes of classic Michael Kors

The YouTube video of Santino & Tim in the Finale Part 1 thread had me rolling!  Of course, I had to click on some more related videos.  I miss Michael and his unmatched snark....

awwwww, I miss MK so much!  I like Zack, but everytime he tries to go quippy bitchy its always "x flamenco dancer"

• Love 1

Speaking of ( in another thread) swooning for the looks of great fashion....I was stumped by the Hong Kong Destination inspiration- all my own ignorance- so started with a simple google. Checked out google images with the words Hong Kong Fashion.

Mind. Bending. AHHMazing. : D

• Love 2

awwwww, I miss MK so much!  I like Zack, but everytime he tries to go quippy bitchy its always "x flamenco dancer"

I miss him, too. Watching that made me realize how much more entertaining PR was. He was great.

RCharter, it looks like you just posted a spoiler, probably without even meaning to.  Unless I'm interpreting your comment incorrectly.

How about the Cody powder boutique?  Come on, who's mom didn't have the orange box of Cody powder in the bathroom?

Coty.  French parfumier from way back.  I went to school in a pavilion built for Mme du Barry that was restored in the '30s by Francois Coty, a complete Nazi sympathizer.  During the war, there was a phone line direct to Berlin in the basement, Nazi radar on the roof, and Resistance spies in the sub-basement listening to it all.  The concierge had been there in the war and loved to show us everything (phone line and other equipment was still there) on annual open house days. 

now that Tim and the judges have gotten rid of their least favorite designer

^ the designer who was making it obvious that they were choosing their winning looks on something other than merit

ETA, from the recap:

Tim, meanwhile, is protective of the crewmembers' feelings and comfort to a disproportionately combative degree, whinging at Merline on Katie's behalf that her look is a compromise, not a marriage, like, 1) it's neither, since Merline made a jacket Katie said she didn't want, and 2) what do you think marriage is?

Golf claps. Kermit arms. TU

Edited by Julia
Which one was your niece?

She's the first one walking, grey gown with black belt.  JJP liked her so much, he asked her to walk in Boston Fashion week.  Here's a photo of her there:

12139877_773287802783408_1070706989_n.jp

This is my niece's agency card.

001.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJIVHC3YONDYWA

I might be alone in this idea, but I would flip if, say, Gordon Ramsey was a guest judge on PR. He has nothing to do with fashion, but he's not afraid to make his mind known. A PR episode with Ramseyisms in it.

Again, I might be alone here.

Gordon, upon seeing a fringey garment: "Oh. F**k me."

Holy cow. Reading old threads because programs On Demand is not working again. Read this and laughed so hard, I scared the dogs.

• Love 1

Holy cow. Reading old threads because programs On Demand is not working again. Read this and laughed so hard, I scared the dogs.

This show (and a few others) would give Gordon ample opportunity to use his old standby "You've given up, haven't you?"

Clearly that was the case with Swapnil.

Can we talk about how awful that Rachel Zoe show is? I'm so glad they don't have those giant graphics in the middle of PR, but I'd be even happier if they also stopped running the commercials for the Zoe show during PR. The fact that no one requested to have a forum created here for it says just about everything. It is awful and forced and not funny. Which the producers should have known from the unfunny show promos all about how they needed to come up with funny segments.

• Love 2

I can't help wondering, as we anticipate the next great round of (non-"All-Stars") mediocrity:

Maybe they need to rethink who they bring in to weed through potential contestants. Mondo, Dmitry and - who else - haven't done such a bang-up job.

I realize they may truly be promoting the best-of-slim-pickins. But just in case...

7 hours ago, sassykattt said:

To the poster who asked why pockets on women's breasts, where to put them.  Not on the hips? not on the ass? Not on the back of the thigh?  No pockets for the ladies.  I've never heard a woman say she didn't have enough pockets.

Moved my answer here since it's not about the episode.

I love pockets, but I have never ever put anything in a breast pocket.  It makes one boob look odd, and when you retrieve something from it, it looks like you're feeling yourself up.  It's just awkward.  It's different if it's a breast pocket on the inside of a jacket, but on a shirt or top of any sort just is not practical.  It's really there for decoration, imo.  And again draws attention to one boob.

• Love 3

There are blouses with breast pockets on both side. :-)

But I completely agree with you -- especially as I'm large busted and pockets just emphasize that. 

I've always wished that women's coats and jackets had those inside breast pockets that men's suit coats and overcoats have.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, carrps said:

There are blouses with breast pockets on both side. :-)

But I completely agree with you -- especially as I'm large busted and pockets just emphasize that. 

I've always wished that women's coats and jackets had those inside breast pockets that men's suit coats and overcoats have.

Other than breast pockets on shirts, I've always wished all women's clothing had the pockets that men's clothing does.

I read an article this year about how men love cargo shorts and their wives and girlfriends hate them and want to get rid of them so their husbands and boyfriends won't wear them. All I could think was, "Where can I find some cargo shorts that will fit me?" (Actually, I want cargo pants -- specifically for the pockets -- but can't find any for women.)

• Love 1

Re: breast pockets on women's shirts

As a relatively small-breasted sports bra wearing woman I find that breast pockets add an extra privacy (?) layer. 

I almost always have a tissue or two in a pants pocket and usually some small change. Maybe even a chapstick and a lens-cleaning cloth. I use my side and front pant pockets. Not the rears.

On 9/25/2016 at 0:11 PM, AuntieDiane6 said:

And while we're at it, would someone PLEASE explain to me the purpose of breast pockets on women's blouses???

For my cigarettes. For a pen. For change. For anything that I need quickly and often. For the same dozens of reasons they are on men's shirts. 

For my cigarettes. For a pen. For change. For anything that I need quickly and often. For the same dozens of reasons they are on men's shirts.

I have never seen any woman reach into a BREAST POCKET for a quarter or a PEN.  LOL!!  

• Love 1

I think I've kept change in breast pockets when I've been wearing men's shirts. Pens, no, but change, yes. My father used to clean out his closet regularly, getting rid of perfectly good shirts when he got new ones (what's that like to get rid of clothes just because you got new ones?). When I was in high school, I took his old shirts for my wardrobe. I loved the the menswear look, and they had a style that women's shirts just didn't have. I'd forgotten about that. Maybe I need to shop in the men's department so I can get shirts with tails long enough to tuck in.