Type keyword(s) to search

Farmhouse Rules - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Everything looked great.  It's not the kind of food I eat on a daily basis, but it all looked good.  I love that she made hasty pudding, too.  Talk about a dish that would have fed a crowd back in the day for not a lot of money.

And I do hope Ree Drummond was paying attention to how Nancy made scones and, in particular, how she told us to remember that they continue cooking after they come out of the oven.  Ree's rolls, biscuits, and scones always look so thin and pathetically over-cooked.  Maybe Nancy can give her a cooking lesson?

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 2

Thank you! I wondered what "those farmers" were spooning over their short ribs stew.

Everything looked delicious. It's too bad that I can't drink any more because I think I would like that punch. Peaches and cassis -- yum! Usually, I don't go for boozy sweet punches, but for some reason that looked good. I'm not sure if it was the best match for the heavy meal.

I think I've read about hasty pudding in "little house" or history books, but never ever seen it made today. It looked good. Didn't Aunt Sandy try to make a knock-off on an old Thanksgiving show by combining stuff like instant butterscotch pudding and quick cook polenta in a slow cooker? LOL!

Something is bugging me to death. At the very end, David said, "These ribs are more tender than..." I thought he said "my pen," but that doesn't make any sense. I rewound it twice and still couldn't figure it out. (I guess as I get older the hearing is going...) Also, when "that farmer" asked Nancy if he could have seconds, her response was weird. I couldn't tell if she wanted go with him to keep her eye on him to not take too much or because she wanted seconds herself. Her facial expression didn't match the context. Maybe just bad editing on both counts.

I think that Nancy's finally found her groove. I now find myself really looking forward to her shows. I also don't mind her as a judge on the baking competition shows.

• Love 2

I think I've read about hasty pudding in "little house" or history books, but never ever seen it made today. It looked good. Didn't Aunt Sandy try to make a knock-off on an old Thanksgiving show by combining stuff like instant butterscotch pudding and quick cook polenta in a slow cooker? LOL!

No, no, gris gris.  It was Indian Pudding  that Aunt Sandy made in her slow cooker.  I made that for the old Test Kitchen thread (along with her bacon-wrapped cheesy corn!), complete with tablescape.  Good times.  (p.s. Aunt Sandy's Indian Pudding was inedible.  No really, inedible.)

• Love 1

YAY!!!  Sally pulled off another winner with her Farm Bureau dinner!!!  Those short ribs looked so delectable that I wished I could eat one right then!  Actually, everything on the menu looked good, and it seemed like a meal suitable for serving outside.  I'm eager to make the Hasty Pudding because I've always wondered what it was, and it sounds delicious.

I almost always have Sally's and Ree's shows recorded back to back, so I generally watch them close together.  That's the best way I know to show that Nancy CAN COOK and that Ree CANNOT COOK!  Since Nancy's show started on the FN, my respect for her has grown by leaps and bounds.  Let the grandchildren be in one show per season, and leave them at home for the rest of the season.  And I really can do without David, although he seems like a very nice man. 

If anyone makes the stew and pudding before I do, please give us a review.

"These ribs are more tender than..."

I watched it back this morning, he said, "these ribs are the tenderest I've had." Then I turned on the captions just to make sure and that's what they thought he said too.

• Love 1

I'm not a big fan of fruit in savory dishes, but I'm trying to get with it.  The dried apricots would be fine with me because they're tart, not sweet.  But the dates are another story.  I don't especially care for dates because they're so sweet.  I'd have substituted apples or dried cherries in their place.  I also had some reservations about combining apple pie and pumpkin pie.  I'm sure it was edible, but I'd have to try it before I'd make it.  It wasn't a very pretty pie.  I imagine it tasted OK, as apples go with almost everything.  All in all, though, I thought her meal looked good.

I agree that Nancy's looking spiffy these days -- her hair, her face and her wardrobe.  She's been making appearances on "The Kitchen" lately, and she looks wonderful.   

Peaches, what are the TFKs?     

Lol, I looked back over my posts from the last few months and I can't find a reference to TFK's.  I can't for the life of me figure out what it means. >^..^<

Nancy's Christmas Eve show was nice.  Her hair was done very nicely, and David donned his silliest Christmas sweater.  Pretty cute.  And what a gorgeous home - I bet it is just amazing at the holidays.

I honestly was a little lukewarm on the meal, mostly because I thought the pork looked a bit under-cooked for my taste.  And I'm not the biggest fan of carrots.  I had to rewind the show to check the roast, because on my TV it looked like she cooked it to medium rare, which is too rare for me.  Beef, yes, but I prefer the texture of pork cooked to medium and a little pink.  Very nice meal, just my personal tastes at play.

If I had been invited I would have been very content to lie on the couch, in front of the fire, drinking one (or three) of her Dad's ice cream egg nogs.

• Love 1

Dullsville on this one. The menu didn't interest me and watching small children decorate cookies works my last nerve. I would have needed a LOT of Dad's eggnog to put up with all of those wriggling pajama-clad kids squealing around the Christmas tree.

Please tell me that Nancy didn't foist kittens on all of those grandkids. That would mean each set of parents would be taking home 2-4 cats. No way. I also don't like sending the message that it's OK to just give pets away as surprise Christmas presents. That's why so many grown-up animals end up in shelters.

• Love 1

gris gris, knowing Nancy as well as I do (lol), my theory is that she got all of those kitties to keep on her farm and is using them as a ploy to get her grand kids to visit her.  

"Lookie, Billy.  Boots and Snaggletooth here are going to be your kitties, but they're going to live here on the farm with Grammy Nancy!  Now, this means that you're going to have to come visit Boots and Snaggletooth every week.  OKKKK, Billy?"  (Cut to Nancy's kids grumbling and vowing to never come back.)

• Love 1

LOL, Anneofcleves!  You are right. I thought about that later. (Clearly spending way too much time contemplating a silly show...) Nancy probably cleared it with her kids (parents) first. They might have been regular farm/barn cats that had a trip to the vet and groomer beforehand and will happily reside on Nancy's farm.

Otherwise, I pitied that poor family who had the six-hour drive -- with kids AND captive cats in tow -- talk about the roadtrip from hell!

• Love 1

Ha, gris gris.  Yes, the ride home.  One of the parents is bombed on eggnog, with the sober one driving and dealing with over-sugared, tired kids who are torturing a cat in the back set while thinking Grammy Nancy is the best grammy ever.  Fa la la la laaah!

It's just a really bad idea, all the way around, to buy someone else a pet unless they are an adult and express a genuine interest in having one.  Even then...I don't know if I could do it.  In fact, we recently received a puppy as a gift.  We kept him and love him, but I can say from experience that it's just a BAD BAD BAD idea.  If you're going for annoying and highly irritating to parents, better to stick to things like recorders, paint ball guns, drum kits, etc.

I'm sticking with the fact that the kids want Nancy's inheritance and will grit their teeth and smile through anything, while drinking lots of grampy's 100 proof eggnog.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 1
There is a picture of her (I think) during the intro where she is looking out at the camera from behind the wheel of a truck and she (if it's her) was one hot mama!

I always got the impression that Miss Nancy was the Scarlett O'Hara of her day - what with the East and West Coast boyfriends, the 2 or 3 husbands, the six kids, and her fiesty, flirtatious nature with all things male.  I think she is a darn cute 70 year old even now, she's plump but pleasing!

As for the kittens, it was my guess that this was a farm litter that she was letting the kids claim a bit of ownership for so that they could come an visit their own kitty.  I am otherwise VERY against gifting animals unless it was coveted and approved by the responsible recipients beforehand.

And the children - I'm kind of tired of so much air time with her -and especially Ree's (I don't want to see what Ladd and the kids are up to.  They are always up to the same boring thing).  That said I think my favorite (and her unspoken favorite) is Miss Bailey.  She is her son Johnny's youngest girl and she's the one who commented on the creepyness of the doll in the attic.  Bailey cracks me up and is the one, IMO, who most resembles Nancy.  She calls her her Mini Me, and I think she's right!

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the Christmas show!  I thought that Nancy's menu was really beautiful and took a lot of effort on her part.  As always, she was determined to give those grandchildren happy family times to remember.  I was especially moved that she prepared individual little trifles for each of them to eat while she read.

I have to admit that I wished I could sample a little bit of everything she served.  The only exception -- and this is just me -- is that I need my meat to be a little less red.

I've pretty much accepted Nancy's personality for what it's worth, and I think she'd be fascinating to know.  Compared with Ree Dummond and a few other would-be cooks with shows, my respect for Nancy and her knowledge seems to grow all the time.  This doesn't mean that opportunities for snark won't come along, but Nancy's OK in my book.  I also enjoy her on that Christmas bakeoff with Duff Goldman.  IMHO, she knows her stuff!

Edited by Lura
  • Love 2

I loved the Christmas show too - thought everything looked wonderful. Did anyone else notice that the "final" prime rib roast was not the one she prepped? The original had five or six ribs, and the one she pulled out of the oven had three. Oh and for whoever asked upthread I think TFKs are the bleeping kids.

I have a question for all of you good cooks and bakers..  I have always made Peanut Butter Blossoms for the holidays because my husband craves them and, actually, so do I.  At the FN, I came to Nancy's version of the same cookie, and I noticed a difference between her recipe and mine.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nancy-fuller/peanut-butter-blossoms.html

My recipe doesn't call for peanut butter chips, while Nancy's calls for 2 cups of them (on top of a cup of smooth peanut butter).  While I love p.b., that seems like a lot of it to me.  Based on your own tastes, which do you think you would do: omit the chips or include them?  THAN YOU! xo

Lura, I personally think the two cups of peanut butter chips is overkill, but I will add the disclaimer that I don't like things that are overly sweet.  My husband wholeheartedly disagrees with me on this point and would say that Nancy's recipe sounds fabulous.  So given that it's a dessert, where ratios and proportions matter, I'd go with Nancy's recipe as written, or use your tried and true recipe.

I wish I could actually read some of the reviews at the FN site.  The recipe is highly rated, but I don't see any comments.

• Love 1

I've never heard or had a peanut butter blossom with peanut butter chips. My mom's recipe involves rolling the balls in sugar before you bake them and I see Nancy's doesn't. I still don't know how this became a Christmas cookie, but that's when anyone I know who makes them makes them 95% of the time. 

• Love 1

grisgris,  Sally is the name of Santa's wife.  Sally and Santa.  Mrs. Sally Claus.  Haven't you heard of her?

Actually, I'd better come clean, even though I'll be the laughing stock of this board.  Ever since this show started, I've been mistakenly calling Nancy "Sally."  I don't know where the name crept into my head because I don't even know a Sally!  Anyway, at home I call her "Sally ... er, Nancy" ever since my husband corrected me.  All of this means that whenever I come in here, I have to be careful to call her Nancy -- but it looks like I slipped up and revealed my weak mind!

• Love 2

I guess it's proof that you like a show if you miss seeing it every week.  I have certainly missed Nancy over the holidays.  I'm imagining that Nancy and David are warm as toast down in Florida now that she has another season of shows in the can.  I think that Nancy mentioned once having a daughter who lives in GA, so maybe Nancy's sojourn down there provides a chance for them to get together.  I don't know about you, but I wouldn't mind seeing a few shows filmed in the Sunshine State.  Have we ever seen that daughter in a show?

I just dropped by to fill up some space.  I didn't want Nancy's thread to feel lonely and ignored while she's away.  :)

I just caught a few minutes of what might be the season premiere, she was making a jelly roll in the part I saw. Oh, and booze, of course. I'm going to assume there was more than booze and cake, but with her, you never know. The main point of my post in her voice though. Either she's been sedated or someone told her to stop sing-songing her way thru the show since she actually sounded like she wasn't a preschool teacher on acid for a change!

Nancy's B-A-A-C-K!  I thought the entire spread looked yummy -- shepherd's pie, salad, strawberry jelly roll and even the tea (although I'd have to have it without the bourbon.)

I was just salivating over all of those fresh vegetables. Nancy's interactions outside of the farm were brief and much more sedate that what we've seen in the past. In other words, she didn't lick errant fruit juice off a vendor's face, etc.

I don't think I'll be making a jelly roll anytime soon, but I appreciated Nancy's tip on how to make it easier and less intimidating.

Not too much forced conversation at dinner and best of all, TFK weren't present!

All in all, a good kick-off to a long-awaited (for me) new season!

• Love 1

I'm glad she's back, but the food in the episode didn't do too much for me.  The shepherd's pie looked so heavy.  I wonder how in the world the butter and oil-soaked potatoes would be anything but greasy on top of the hamburger mixture?  I think I'd stick to mashed potatoes.

Edited by anneofcleves

Now, I thought the same thing about yesterday's spread -- heavy. Even though our Easter around here kicked off with a good clip of (melting) snow, that meal didn't look at all appetizing. It was literally begging for something crisp and green and I'm not talking about the kale in the pork pot pie or spinach in the dip. If I had a nice solid hunk of pork like that, I'm not sure if I'd bury it in a pot pie under a shroud of cheesy biscuits.

I'm going to perhaps try the turnips, though. I can't believe I've never eaten them (that I am aware of) and would like to try them. I get so bored with the same old stuff -- kale, asparagus, carrots, zucchini and yellow squashes ...

The spinach dip didn't look good with yet more starches to eat it with. Olives would just add another dose of sodium.

I could see having the donut sticks and hot chocolate for a winter breakfast, but not for dessert after that dinner. Something fruity perhaps?

Anyway, I'd be straight to sleep after that spread and miss Gigi's and Papa David's cheesy grainy wedding film. It was missing a smaltzy soundtrack.

• Love 1

No kidding, gris gris.  Nothing really appealed to me, aside from the turnips.  I'm kind of surprised, but she actually ruined spinach and artichoke dip for me by mixing it with olives and topping it with dinner rolls.  I like all of those things, but that's a meal in itself.

And I about died laughing when she referred to the baked doughnuts and hot chocolate as dessert.  Do people really eat like that?   My family and I can put it away at holidays like nobody's business, but even we have our limits and groan a little by the time dessert comes around.  Over the years I've scaled way back on desserts after dinner parties and holiday meals.  People just seem to want a little something if they're eating a big meal beforehand.  

Nancy, honey, that's not a meal.  That's a gorge-a-thon.  It's kind of hard to believe she was a caterer, who are usually pretty skilled at pacing a meal with the right balance of foods.

• Love 2

I thought everything looked good, but not to have all together in the same meal. I didn't think everything would fit into that food processor for the dip. I actually liked the idea of making them with rolls. It was a different twist, and not that different than serving it with cubes of bread. And I also liked the biscuits instead of pastry for the pot pie. But having all of that together in the same meal would send me into a carb coma. I thought the baked donuts looked good too -- but again, not as dessert to have after that super heavy meal.

I really enjoyed Nancy's show today teaching her grandson, Miles, and his two friends to cook.  Nancy was so subdued and explained things to them so well (she seems like a great teacher).  She also let them do much of the work!  (Ina my love, did you notice how Nancy actually lets the kids cook?).  The boys also seemed so poised yet at the same time adorably awkward, as you'd expect them to be at that age.

The recipes were simple (great for beginner cooks) and looked very good to me.  I'd probably give her recipe for spaghetti and meatballs a try, since I'm a huge fan of lighter-textured pasta sauces and love, love, love the combo of fresh tomato and butter.  I'll try the green beans, too.

I'll pass on the dessert, but I know about 100 people who would love the peanut butter bars.  My husband first and foremost.

The only thing I wish she would have done differently is NOT named the show "Teaching Little Men to Cook 101."  Yes, it's adorable, but I'm sure Miles is cringing.

• Love 3

I enjoyed the show. It was nice to let Nancy stand back and let the boys cooks. No hovering. No side comments about "sneaking vegetables into those kids." No doing the actual work for them. I cheerfully admit that it was my type of meal as I'm a sucker for that type of "Italian food."  I'm going to try the sauce, too.

I've made those type of peanut butter bars before and they certainly are good.

Thumbs up!

(edited)

I thought Nancy did a very good job with a “cooking with kids”  type show, which I’m not usually a fan of. The lads were very likeable, not annoying, & seemed happy to be there & clean up after.

Edited by ariel

I liked it too. I may try the chicken parm...I've never made it before. Having to pound out the chicken breasts always seems like such a pain. The questions the boys asked were obviously scripted, but made sense in the context of the show. Like I'm sure none of them would have thought to ask why they were using bread in the meatballs, or what the egg was for, but those are the kinds of basics that are helpful to know when you're cooking.

Today's show was kind of fun. I was surprised to see Lorraine Pascale as a guest. On those baking shows, Lorraine and Nancy come across as being barely able to stand each other. Huh. Who knew.

Those salmon Wellingtons looked pretty good. They'd certainly be a lot less expensive to make than regular beef Wellington.

Nancy's little granddaughter, Elise, sure is a cutie. The other one is sweet, too. She seems a bit on the bashful side.

• Love 2

I thought the salmon Wellington looked great, too.  The rest of Nancy's dishes, too.  Lorraine's cheddar straws looked good, but more like pub food than something for a tea party.  And I've been to quite a few tea services when travelling abroad.  They looked like something that would go a little better with a pint of ale than a cup of Earl Grey.

Her grandkids are pretty sweet.

• Love 1

I enjoyed Nancy's show today. While I'm not a big fan of the Dutch Colonial style (family home was an attempt at that) I found the house's history quite fascinating and was impressed with the great detail Nancy went to in order to restore it. It truly was beautiful!

The meal looked enjoyable, as well. I like that Nancy uses different types of vegetables, like kohlrabi (which I have no idea where I'd find it around here.) The orange ombre cake looked scrumptious (TM Ree) LOL! I love the combination of chocolate and orange.

• Love 1

I've made that overnight oatmeal recipe lots of times and I didn't get the recipe from Nancy.  I usually add my blueberries the night before when I mix it up. I have to say it's nothing that spectacular, so at least it took a backseat on a national cooking show.  I also wondered about serving it in the cantaloupe/bowl. My initial reaction was questionable texture/flavor mingling.

That whole episode lost me at "meatloaf soup." Just no. I couldn't figure out about the mashed potatoes. Were they supposed to melt into the soup and thicken it? Nancy said that at the onset when she started in on making the soup. The close-ups looked like the globs of congealed mashed potatoes were more like dumplings (I guess) and the soup was on the thin, clear brothy side; not what I had envisioned.

No. No. No. To the brownie bread pudding. It might have been an OK idea without the addition of the fun-sized Almond Joys. But that's just me as I hate coconut with a passion. I honestly can't think of any type of candy bar where that idea would work very well.

The last scene in the kitchen with David and Nancy "mussed up" straight out of bed was pretty funny. David was so earnest and careful in delivering his obviously scripted lines. Keep at it my friend. Someday, you'll be rivaling Jeffrey Garten.

• Love 2

I give Nancy a lot of credit for creating a practical show like this with recipes that no one will likely use, with the exception of the oatmeal I suppose. It really was more about using whatever you've got and occasionally making a clean out the fridge kind of meal. It's frugal and good practice. I'm amazed by how many people talk about pitching leftovers when there is so much you can do with them.

I wasn't loving the idea of meatloaf soup, either, and will stick to my favorite use for leftovers - grilled meatloaf sandwiches. Like a patty melt but using meatloaf. Don't plan on fitting into your pants the next day.

Overnight oatmeal is something I've been meaning to try but I don't like the texture of chia seeds and think I'd keep it out of the melon. I agree with the rest of you that the flavor of the melon seeping into the oatmeal doesn't appeal to me.

I hate sweet cocktails, and having one with a brownie bread pudding gives me a migraine just thinking about it.

So the kids are visiting from Miami, home to an amazing assortment of Cuban restaurants, and Nancy feeds them Cuban food?  Okaaaay.  Seems like they might have preferred some Yankee pot roast or some "farm food."   

The chicken and rice she made did look delicious, and very simple.  I may give that one a try.

• Love 1

IKR. That seemed like a strange choice. I think Nancy was trying to honor her SIL's roots (BTW, was his name Ladd? or Lass? Yes. I cheerfully admit the hearing ain't what it used to be!) I also picked up a vibe of Nancy wanting to pay homage to her trip to Cuba (would have loved to have heard more about that) by duplicating some of the foods she ate while there. At least the food wasn't knock-offs of room service menus ... Then, maybe just a teeny bit of showing off/bragging rights thrown in ...

Agreed that the chicken and rice looked yummy, as well as the flan.

Then there was yet another variation of jalapeno flavored booze. Really, Nancy and Ree should have Robert Irvine hook them up with the casualty from last week's episode of "Restaurant Impossible." They could muck-up good alcohol to their collective heart's content.

I actually liked this branch of Nancy's family tree. Was it just me, or did the SIL seem a bit put off or uncomfortable when Nancy kept pressing him to talk about his early life in Cuba?

Am I the only one who finds Nancy's personality completely off-putting?

Her loud, sing-song narration ruins everything for me.  And I'm still writhing in pain from the episode when her nephew (?) and his 2 buddies came over for dinner or something.  The had just returned from Afghanistan and she just kept shrieking "My boys!..my boys!...my boys!".  Ugh.  We get it.  

Except for the ill-advised meat loaf soup, most of her recipes seem healthy and delicious, although I could do without seeing those manly hands tossing cole slaw or mixing up a meat loaf.  I mean, I use my hands to mix meat loaf too...I just don't want to see it on TV.

She's another TV chef who's fallen victim to adding candy and cookies and gummi bears and chocolate chips to every dessert.  She's not at the Pioneer Woman level yet, but jeez...can't we just let brownies be brownies?

• Love 3

Am I the only one who finds Nancy's personality completely off-putting?

No. I wanted to like this show---former caterer in upstate NY, yeah. But she grates more than me making potato pancakes. I watched a few minutes of her show today with her visiting daughters. She gifted one of them an ice cream maker and after much NO CRANKING chatter, I was out.

• Love 1

Me 3 on the don't care for Nancy couch. I think I lasted maybe 3 episodes into the 1st season. Life is too short to waste time watching someone or something I don't enjoy. Pioneer Woman is in the same category for me.

(edited)

Just watched the Mother's Day episode.  Do her daughters that were featured have the same father? 

ETA - no spoiler.  I'm just trying to get used to this new format

• Spoiler
    •  
Edited by ariel

I had trouble with her at first, but for whatever reason I keep tuning in.  She is a better cook than many on FN, and I love her house and the whole farm lifestyle.

That said, her show with her daughters for Mother's Day seemed so awkward, especially her introduction of each of them.  One is the favorite, one was a hellion but turned out OK, and the other is a school principal.  I hope it was just bad editing...

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, anneofcleves said:

I had trouble with her at first, but for whatever reason I keep tuning in.  She is a better cook than many on FN, and I love her house and the whole farm lifestyle.

ITA.  And I think she gets better each year.

• Love 2
On 5/10/2016 at 9:58 PM, ariel said:

ITA.  And I think she gets better each year.

I do too. I think she is one of the most knowledgeable and skilled chefs on FN at the moment. I think it took her awhile to get comfortable in front of the camera. I still think it's unnecessary for each episode to have a "story," but other than that, I really enjoy her show. Not everything she makes is appealing to me, but I like that everything is prepared from scratch. I don't think I've ever seen her open a can of anything -- certainly not cream-of-whatever soup. I also like that she'll spend a little time at local farms, breweries, dairies, etc. Those places probably see a little bump in their business after they appear on the show. So it's like she's sharing a little of her success with other people in her community, which I think is cool.

• Love 4