Type keyword(s) to search

Farmhouse Rules - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Well a new batch of episodes started today.

The "paco tacos" were an interesting idea for the leftovers, but I doubt I would ever try to make them.

The vegetable lasagna looked really good.  I will say that every time I have tried a version of this at a restaurant it never tastes right to me...I guess i'm just used to regular lasagna w/ meat and lots of oooey-gooey cheese and sauce.

The dirt brownie was eh....I didn't understand the need for the cookie crumb crust at the bottom.

I hate when kids act for the camera.  The problem with Nancy's grandchildren are some act for the camera and other just don't.  I find that Ree from the Pioneer Woman had this issues as well, where her youngest used to have to say "this is the bestest meal ever momma" or something like that, and now it seems Nancy's grandkids are being forced to talk about the taste of certain ingredients or whatever.  Her little grandson was on my nerves today.

I missed it since my dvr cut out early, did the soap-box derby racers crash at the bottom of the hill?

I thought the chicken paco tacos looked great for kids or for a picnic/potluck sort of meal.  They look like something everyone could enjoy.  The vegetable lasagna looked very good, too.

I always fast forward through most of the personal/family stuff, mostly because I just want to see someone cook.

The vegetable lasagna looked very good. I was neutral about the rest of the stuff. Yeah, I'm not interested in THOSE kids. Ugh. Get them off the screen. I like it best when it's just Nancy in the kitchen. I don't need David, Aunt Jean, the trio of gal pals, etc.

• Love 2

Yeah, I'm not interested in THOSE kids. Ugh. Get them off the screen...I don't need David, Aunt Jean, the trio of gal pals, etc.

Oh, but you DO, grisgris.  FN has performed the focus groups, and they know exactly what you want.  More kids, more faux sleepovers, more burning cedars, more lifestyle, less cooking.  You just don't realize it.

• Love 5

I thought the paco tacos looked good, and like a fun, kid-friendly food. I would try the vegetable lasagna (now I'm reminded of Elaine on Seinfeld), but my husband would dismiss it as a side dish and ask where the entree was.

• Love 1

I'd like to try her whole wheat crackers.  They look delicious, and I think the clove would be a really nice touch.

I have to laugh at her characterization of her version of chipped beef as being nutritious.  Well, yeah, maybe if you've worked in the fields all day since sunrise.  For most of us, that is a total gut buster.  It looked great, though.

The cake looked pretty delicious, too, though being a total pineapple upside down cake whore I kind of would rather have that in the "vintage" pan.

I loved how neat and tidy her attic was.  It was like one of those attics that you only see in television and films.  I was surprised the two dresses weren't already on dressmaker forms, and yes I did see one of the forms in the background.

I loved the pineapple upside down cake pan.  I love those vintage pans like that as well.  I'll be 100% honest here, i've never eaten that type of cake before in my 33 years.  I used to despise pineapple, as well as other vegetables and whatnot, but that has changed.  If I were to run across it or something I would probably try it and love it.  I do want to try Nancy's variation though w/ other fruits.

The chipped beef over toast though....nah, not for me.  The crackers as well, didn't look appealing to me and the clove I could see being a huge taste issue.  I have learned the hard way, a little clove goes a dang long way.  Those veggies though, mmmm....

I came by to add that I thought the crackers looked good, too. It would be a good thing for me to make my own snack crackers. Right now, I'm buying a multi-seed version from the Blue Diamond "Artisan" line and they are expensive for the amount of product you get.

I don't know if it's the production values, but everything Nancy makes (except for my finicky palate ingredients) looks delicious. The roasted veggies and upside down cake looked good, but that wasn't what I would called chipped beef. To me, it looked like a version of beef stroganoff only with a bechamel sauce instead of sour cream.

C'mon, you've just gotta have good old traditional S.O.S. using that horribly overly salted dried stuff in the little jars from the canned meat aisle. I don't know many veterans, but those I've talked to have all hands-down HATED that stuff. My dad served briefly as a Navy officer and creamed chipped beef on toast was one of his favorite dinners. My mom added chopped hard-boiled eggs to it. I can count of my hands the number of times I've made it for myself.

There is a reason why God created Stouffer's. LOL!

While I'm not too keen on kids making appearances on food shows, I did have to laugh at the younger granddaughter's (Bailey, I believe) reaction to the Raggedy Ann doll just sitting there staring. She wasn't wrong.

I also want to make the whole wheat crackers. And I love upside-down cake and peaches, so I might make the cake while the fruit is still in season.

ANOTHER episode of "those kids." Damn, she'll trot out the entire family before this season is over. I so much prefer the "Nancy in the kitchen" shows.

Was I imagining this, but when Nancy was waxing nostalgic about farmyard picnics with one of her farmer husbands and whatever kids were home she said something like, "That was my 'was-bund'. The one who got away." I did a double-take. I wonder if David heard that comment (he was in the episode) and what he thought about that gem.

I thought all of the food looked meh. I was kind of surprised that teenaged boys would be in for a picnic with the grandparents and the grandparent's friends, not to mention hand-cranking ice cream. I was also confused about one of the adult couples. I thought the woman with the gray hair was Nancy's daughter, but she called Nancy "Gigi."

I actually chuckled when she first said "was-band."  I think she has used the term before on the show.  She actually said ( i'm paraphrasing here ) "they would say they were the lucky ones who got away."  So she meant it in a self-deprecating way.

I thought they would let the home-made ice cream joke play out, b/c as we all know yeah it's easy to crank at first but later on it gets major hard to crank to thing, but nope they made it seem as if it was super easy to handcrank crank.

The deviled eggs looked good, but I love those no matter what.  Everything else looked like regular stuff she makes, although I never heard of brisket sandwiches for a picnic.  

She made it seem like if she wouldn't have made/brought brisket David wouldn't have participated in the picnic.  I wonder if David isn't that comfortable being on camera or being around her family all the time...which to be honest she has a damn large family.

I think it's a tragedy to put it on a sandwich with MAYONNAISE.  (No, no, no.)

I forgot about that, but thanks for reminding me anneofcleves, she seriously paired the barbecue sauce from the brisket w/ mayonnaise?!  Just ugh....

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 1

Nancy honey, enough of the kids.  I mean, I like kids.  I have some of my own and hope to have grand kids someday.  But for the love of God would you realize that the vast majority of us don't adore your kids like you adore them and are only blithely watching them while waiting for more actual cooking?  Don't make me say mean things, Nancy.  I'm sure they're great kids, but ENOUGH.  

I know FN has told you that their viewers pretty much have the IQs of turnips and that we don't have the attention span to watch you cook for a solid half hour, but I can tell you there are a few of us with an IQ over 80 who don't need to see you fly in an airplane, pick apples, canoodle with your skeevy husband (sorry, I'm sure he's a really nice guy), or dote on your grand kids.  

There, that feels better.

Her brisket looked great, though I think it's a tragedy to put it on a sandwich with MAYONNAISE.  (No, no, no.)  And she inspired me to make deviled eggs for a cookout I'm hosting tomorrow.  I don't do bacon in deviled eggs, though, just because it's too much, but I'll just leave it out.  The pickled shallots seem like a nice addition.

Love ya, Nancy!  More recipes, please...

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 2

ANOTHER episode of "those kids." Damn, she'll trot out the entire family before this season is over. I so much prefer the "Nancy in the kitchen" shows.

Was I imagining this, but when Nancy was waxing nostalgic about farmyard picnics with one of her farmer husbands and whatever kids were home she said something like, "That was my 'was-bund'. The one who got away." I did a double-take. I wonder if David heard that comment (he was in the episode) and what he thought about that gem.

I thought all of the food looked meh. I was kind of surprised that teenaged boys would be in for a picnic with the grandparents and the grandparent's friends, not to mention hand-cranking ice cream. I was also confused about one of the adult couples. I thought the woman with the gray hair was Nancy's daughter, but she called Nancy "Gigi."

I knew none of the kids were David's and if she raised kids with the "was-band" for a long time, it would make sense she would still be close to them or their kids and why the daughter calls her GiGi… although with all the grandkids calling her GiGi, it's probably trickled to kids who called her mom too. I seriously thought the daughter's husband WAS the was-band. She was a little too flirty with him for my tastes. 

She said that the "wasband" considers HIMSELF to be the one that got away - as in glad to be free of her.

The other couple was her daughter and son-in-law.  One of the boys was her grandson and he brought his friends.

Mayo on the sandwich was fine with me.  I don't like dry bread sandwiches and I like mayo.  I bet it was really good mixed with the BBQ sauce.

I don't mind seeing the kids - most are pleasant enough, but I bet we are seeing them now because everybody seemed to hate Nancy so much and the way she talked.  I attributed it to her feeling a bit awkward for the camera so it makes sense that she may relax a bit being surrounded by loved ones.  She's too old to flash her boobs like Giada so maybe this is the best FN could come up with. 

I know I'm alone, but I think Nancy is really pretty and I could see how she was the belle of the ball back in the day.  I find it funny that NONE of her children look a thing like her, but MOST of her grandkids look a lot like her.

I don't know if it is a cultural thing or not, but my mom and uncles called my grandmother what us kids called her too.  And with a cool name like GiGi, why not?

• Love 1

So was today's episode an unofficial "backdoor pilot" for Kardea?  It sure seemed like it the way Nancy was talking her up.  I will admit that Kardea had such a natural ease on camera talking and cooking, something that the Pioneer Woman has yet to find.

Everything they made today was just amazing, and I've never had crawfish before but I want that pie and I want those biscuits and that bacon butter.

FN, this is someone that needs her own show if you don't already have something in mind w/ her.

• Love 4

Everything looked delicious.  Not the kind of food I make often, but it looked delicious.  I hadn't seen Kardea before, but I liked her a lot and could see her having a successful series on FN.  She has a wonderfully deep speaking voice, too, that I could listen to all day.  

ETA:  On replay I'm blaming Nancy for the five pounds I am about to gain.  My refrigerator is on the fritz and I'm going to make up her black pepper biscuits to use up some butter and buttermilk.  The bacon butter is something I could only imagine making if I was planning an amazing brunch, but wow would that be good.

The shrimp with corn salad, the crawfish pie and the Pimm's cup - I want them all.  

Could anyone else see Kardea's crawfish pie recipe morphed into a smaller bite hors d'oeuvres as a puff pastry bite?  Or even using a dab of the filling in a tiny puff pastry or phyllo cup?  I think that would be so good.

I'm also bookmarking the cashew pull-apart bread for Christmas morning and will stock up on some muscovado sugar.  It's quite a bit more expensive than dark brown sugar, but the flavor is superior and I can see how it would be a worthy addition to the recipe.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 2

I made Nancy's Salt and Pepper Biscuits from her "Two Ladies on the Farm" episode, and I can report that they were soooo good.  They were made exactly as written and came out perfectly - very tender with a nice crunchy edge.  True to the name they are quite peppery, so if you're not a huge fan of black pepper as we are you may want to skip it or scale back.  We thought it was the perfect amount and would be really good with a homemade soup.  Or split in half with a thin slice of ham or good breakfast sausage for a brunch.

They are very buttery on their own and I think the bacon butter she made to accompany them would be total overkill, but individual tastes vary.

The only thing I would do next time I make them is make the biscuits smaller and cut into a 4X4 square of biscuits versus the 3X3.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 2

I made Nancy's Salt and Pepper Biscuits from her "Two Ladies on the Farm" episode, and I can report that they were soooo good.  They were made exactly as written and came out perfectly - very tender with a nice crunchy edge.  True to the name they are quite peppery, so if you're not a huge fan of black pepper as we are you may want to skip it or scale back.  We thought it was the perfect amount and would be really good with a homemade soup.  Or split in half with a thin slice of ham or good breakfast sausage for a brunch.

They are very buttery on their own and I think the bacon butter she made to accompany them would be total overkill, but individual tastes vary.

The only thing I would do next time I make them is make the biscuits smaller and cut into a 4X4 square of biscuits versus the 3X3.

Thank you for trying these.  I have a crazy idea of making the biscuits with sweet potatoes and eliminating the salt and pepper savory and morphing the bacon butter into maple-bacon butter which I'd smear on the sweet potato biscuits.  It sounds good in my imagination but I've got to try it IRL to see.

ETA: And yes, I agree that these are a "brunch" item, not an everyday breakfast item.

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 1
I have a crazy idea of making the biscuits with sweet potatoes and eliminating the salt and pepper savory and morphing the bacon butter into maple-bacon butter which I'd smear on the sweet potato biscuits.  It sounds good in my imagination but I've got to try it IRL to see.

Now that sounds inventive, Timetoread.  I think the combination of sweet and savory would be amazing.  If you come up with a variation on Nancy's that works, please share it.

I don't need David, Aunt Jean, the trio of gal pals, etc.

I have to laugh at her characterization of her version of chipped beef as being nutritious.  Well, yeah, maybe if you've worked in the fields all day since sunrise.  For most of us, that is a total gut buster.

Today I saw the episode of Nancy with her Bowlerina bowling team.   Call me cynical but the bowling team was probably concocted for the benefit of the episode.  Nancy's personal team name was King Pin, so yeah, right!  It's a hell lot better than what one of her friends was saddled with, Alley Cat.  She cooked a bacon sausage hash to fortify her team.  Unless they were planning to bowl, then hike the Appalachian trail such a meal seemed like overkill combined with the cream cheese French toast.

Nancy valiantly tries to curb her sing-song tendencies which is welcome to these ears.  I said, tries.  Her outings with her chums are tedious and unnecessary for a show about cooking.  Do you think her local liquor store sends Nancy a Christmas card every year because of her enthusiasm of all things alcohol?

Edited by pandora spocks

ETA:  On replay I'm blaming Nancy for the five pounds I am about to gain.  My refrigerator is on the fritz and I'm going to make up her black pepper biscuits to use up some butter and buttermilk.  The bacon butter is something I could only imagine making if I was planning an amazing brunch, but wow would that be good.

I just got around to watching this episode today. Everything did look fantastic. That bacon butter was decadent to the point of being kind of horrifying. When she said she was going to make it, I thought she'd maybe infuse the butter with a little bacon fat, or add 1 slice to it. But no, all 8 or 10 strips went to the food processor with the butter. Even my husband was appalled. I asked him if he wanted me to make him biscuits with bacon butter and he said, "No, instead of doing that, just let me know when you're ready for me to die." LOL. But you're right -- holy crap, would that be good.

The crawfish pie looked fabulous too, as did the pull-apart bread. I'm not a fan of nuts, so it I ever make it I'll skip those, but it really looked easy.

• Love 1

I didn't love this week's show, either.  Reuben sandwiches are great, but I don't need a recipe for them and they are one of those things I'd rather go out for.  I thought the blackberry with peanut butter crumble looked really, really awful to me, but I'm a little weird (ok a lot weird) about how I take my peanut butter - usually it's in something savory.

The crispy kale and the roasted tomato soup with Cheddar looked good.  But again, I don't need recipes for that.  In fact, I whipped up some tomato soup the other night for a quick dinner.  Come on, Nancy. 

I am on the fence about yesterday's episode. I'm not a fan of Reuben sandwiches because I don't like sauerkraut. When Nancy mentioned that her uncle made his Reubens with coleslaw, I perked up because I thought she was going to show us a different version.

The blackberry cobbler with peanut butter was interesting. I drink blueberry or blackberry smoothies with a touch of PB several times a week so I am used to the flavor combination. (I know, when I first saw the smoothie idea on a commercial on TCC, I was aghast, but tried it and I liked it!) I tried to imagine if the peanut butter would add an extra layer of grease or if the final result would be more like a peanut butter-oatmeal cookie. IMO, good fresh blackberries don't need any extra dolling up to taste good...

Edited by grisgris

Dear Food Network:

Nobody tunes into a cooking show to watch the host go antiquing, be an auctionista, bowl with her chums, or visit local farms to admire the fresh wares.  While you're at it, dispense with all scenes where people toast with their wine glasses.  Nobody does that shit that often unless they were on The Godfather or a soap.  I just want to see people do actual cooking, please?

Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 3

Pandora – please check out your local PBS station(s) for real cooking shows, especially if they carry Create. Many of your wishes will be granted. I know many of mine are :)

Edited by ariel
  • Love 2

Pandora – please check out your local PBS station(s) for real cooking shows, especially if they carry Create. Many of your wishes will be granted. I know many of mine are :)

Every Saturday morning, I look forward to seeing Simply Ming, America's Test Kitchen, and all incarnations of Martha Stewart.  It's like an oasis in a desert of mediocrity.

• Love 2

What in the fresh hell was that drink Nancy made, anyway? I'm sure she wasn't kidding when she inferred that it would knock you on your ass!

My husband and I were wondering what in the heck that was.  The added milk curdles with the acid and is strained out, leaving a whey-infused alcoholic punch.  It definitely was different.  I can't imagine wanting to go through the effort of that for a large party, just because punch (for me) needs to be something that's easy to throw together at the last minute after all the drunks have drained the bowl.

Nancy gets big points for chicken divan, another one of my favorite retro comfort foods.  Hers looks great, and I think I will actually make that one really soon.  

The crab salad with endive looked delicious, too, but I think I'd go rogue and leave the bacon off.  I bet that would be good with minced shrimp, too.

The apple puffs didn't excite me too much with the walnuts (Nancy, I hate walnuts!), but they did look like a good bite-size dessert for a party.  

• Love 1

Everything this week looked tasty to me except the punch. I thought it looked ok at first. Maybe a historical colonial type punch? When she added the milk & said it should curdle, she lost me there.

Did I hear/see correctly when she mentioned that many people don’t have computers in their homes & she raised her hand that she didn’t?

Edited by ariel

You heard right, ariel.  Nancy is vice-president of Ginsburg Foods, her husband's company, and as such, she probably has more computers than she needs at work.  (That's just my own guess).  At home, she's too busy planning barn parties!

I have tried and tried to get myself to like this show since there are so few cooking shows on the FN.  Still, I find my interest waning.  Of all the places she goes and the things she does, I can't get interested.  However, I think, with me, I just can't like Nancy on television.  I don't think she translates well to it.  When I look at the qualities judges are seeking for their Next FN Star, I don't see those qualities in Nancy.  I've long since tired of her trying to be funny (and not succeeding), her yelling, her children and grandchildren and her dorky husband, who also isn't cut out for television, and I'm tired of the poor ladies she invites for lunch, some of whom  are so nervous about being on TV that they can hardly enjoy themselves.  Nancy seems like an interesting and involved woman, but not for television, IMHO.  I guess I'll still watch her show for the cooking, but I honestly can't say that I enjoy most of it anymore.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 1
(edited)

Gah. Another episode with TFK (Those F-ing Kids.) When I saw the establishing shot with the picnic table that could run the length of a football field, I nearly hit delete. And yes, Nancy was extra loud today. Clanging the iron triangle was also a "nice" touch.

I wonder if Gigi also offered $5 to the grandkid who'd actually eat that goat cheese/onion/tomato tart and proclaim how good it was? I seriously can't think of any kids who'd even taste that, but who knows?

OK. It was kinda interesting to see the "fiber farmer" spin yarn and learn about her sheep.

Maybe Nancy and Ladd Drummond could team up and host some sort of an agricultural education show. Bobby Dean could be the narrator. I'd pay good money to see that.

Edited by grisgris
  • Love 5

You heard right, ariel.  .......Nancy seems like an interesting and involved woman, but not for television, IMHO.  I guess I'll still watch her show for the cooking, but I honestly can't say that I enjoy most of it anymore.

Lura I agree she's terrible on screen. Speaking of that, she's even worse live! She was on QVC Wednesday with David Venable selling her new cookbook. I thought she came off very ungracious and kind of pissy. She seemed to have her own agenda and I think David was having a hard time catching up with her. He would ask her about a dish and she would say oh taste this other one. It was so weird. He even commented with his sub host how the wheels came off the bus after her set was done. Lol.

• Love 1

All the food looked good, especially the tomato and goat cheese tart.  I don't understand serving the goat cheese tart with chicken & dumplings and banana-coconut cream pie at all, but a lot of Nancy's menus are fairly incongruous.

Interesting about Nancy on QVC.  She seems to have a very bossy personality, and I can totally picture the dynamic with David Venable.  

ETA:  Was this the QVC demo with Nancy that you saw, Evanscody?  In it she seems pretty well-behaved to me.  David, on the other hand, was his typically creepy, over-solicitous self while slurping down giant gulps of food.  <ick>

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 1

The menu was so disjointed, I would have been gagging at the combo. The tart looked nearly impossible to eat. I just kept waiting for the slices to snap in half and into someone's lap. Maybe it's my hate of coconut, but banana coconut cream pie seemed particularly gross. 

People can hate on Pioneer Woman all they want, but I never doubt her family and friends all love each other. I can't say the same of Nancy. Her kids all seem so distant from her and the grandkids like they are strangers. The friends always seem like paid actors. 

Anneofcleves it looks like they were both having a hard time connecting now that I watch it again. Her recipes look wonderful, but her personality along with the David factor just made me cringe. Thanks for posting!

The chicken & dumpling soup seemed like an odd item to service outside on a warm summer's day.  I think of it as a something nice to have on a cold day.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 1

I just looked at the video on QVC - almost didn't finish from the beginning - stupid cover sitting in a wing back upholstered chair in front of a corn field, Everything black and white checked and then her saying "yummy yummy for your tummy tummy!". Like black and white means fresh and homemade.

She proceeds to add a chocolate sauce to a cheese cake on 1/3 of it and a raspberry sauce on the other 1/3 (fine)....what about the other 1/3 that had none. I suppose that could have been the point though.

And frozen stew is great! in the spring or summer. And of course Venable's stupid expressions and happy dance.

OTOH he is very involved in selling the product....Nancy not so much.

• Love 1

I couldn't watch very much of the video clip. Nancy was OK, but that host, OMG! WAY TOOooooo OTT.

I noticed that when the host asked her about the crust for her cheesecake, she didn't answer him and talked about the raspberry sauce.

The sad thing? Now I want to buy her cookbook! The photos looked gorgeous. I'm sure it will be in the bargain bin at Amazon or Big Lots by Springtime (if not sooner.)

I watched that QVC video.  Holy hell!  I'm not sure that bus ever even had wheels.  Nancy just came across so . . . weird.  Even given that she was working off of David Venable, which I can imagine is no easy feat, her responses were off somehow.  It's like they were having two different conversations and Nancy's consisted mostly of screeching her catch phrase "Fresh is best!!"  So uncomfortable to watch. 

And what the heck did she mean when she said something like, "Fresh is best!!  Except when you're stressed!!  So there's a little red box in the refrigerator section!"  I think it was about the apple pie.  Did she mean pie crust?  Or Velveeta?  Because wasn't that pie's claim to fame that it has cheddar cheese In! The! Crust!  So what does one do with the little red box if it is pie crust?  Take shredded cheddar and press it in?

Edited by Aquarius
  • Love 1

We were right about FN finding a spot for Nancy's catering friend, Kardea. She's a judge on "Barbeque Blitz." That's the new show from the latest FNS winner, Eddie Jackson. From what I saw of her in one episode, she's a good judge. Knows what she's talking about and is well-balanced in her compliments and firm but constructive criticisms. Appears to take the job very seriously.

I'll see if there is a forum for his show. If not, I'm not sure if it's worth starting one for a limited (hopefully) series program. I thought it sucked.

OK. I'm very sorry to discuss another show in this thread. Just knew that a lot of us were very impressed with Kardea.

• Love 1

I watched a football game with my husband, so he stuck around to watch Nancy with me -- but (smart man) he dozed off about three minutes into her show!  Who could blame him?  The most I can say for this episode is that I was bored all the way through it.  Nancy turned her personal volume up so far that I had to lower the TV volume.  Sometimes I feel that Nancy is so determined to have a successful show that he raises her voice and tries to pull it along.   I suggest the FN combine Farmhouse Rules and Guy's

Triple D shows and drive the audience stark, raving mad!