Type keyword(s) to search

Farmhouse Rules - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I know a fair amount of TWOPers didn't really like this show, but I do. It's just nice that there's a show on FN that isn't open (cans/bags/bottles), dump, and stir and how to make a meal as fast as possible.

I hope for the second season, this show goes where The Pioneer Woman should have: gardening, canning, pickling, and home cooking that doesn't involve pre-packaged ingredients.

• Love 2

I gave this show a try. I didn't care for the first episode, and was hoping it would get better. I didn't make it through the second episode. I don't care for Nancy's yelling at her viewers. She looks unkempt. My husband's comment about her is that she needs to wash her hair.

• Love 1

That grilled banana with tons of chocolate pieces crammed into a slightly hollowed out banana was the worst looking thing I've ever seen on the FN. The black banana looked so un-appetizing and the glop formed by the chocolate chunks looked like something that should be floating in a toilet.

I'm not sure I could watch this show again (my eyes, my eyes). I find her manner off putting and her delivery "shouty" too.

I saw the last half of today's episode this morning at the gym. Hold the presses! Even I can make cheeseburgers, French fries, and milkshakes at home! I had no idea! [/snerk] FN has gone so far downhill they've had to start digging a hole.

• Love 1
(edited)

The black banana looked so un-appetizing and the glop formed by the chocolate chunks looked like something that should be floating in a toilet.

Very true.  Good thing for that recipe that most of the time they're eaten around a campfire, in the dark, where you can't see what you're eating!  My comment during that show was the amount she fed those children.  I know it's for show, but I think any Mom and Dad in real life would have been screaming, "NO!," to having their small kids served a giant ice cream float and one of those banana boats.  Holy sugar overload, Batman.

I saw the last half of today's episode this morning at the gym. Hold the presses! Even I can make cheeseburgers, French fries, and milkshakes at home!

Who knew?  Unless you live in the middle of nowhere, why make a meal like that at home?  That's what diners and mom & pop restaurants are for - let them do the deep frying.  And it was such an odd meal for a date night with her current husband.  She reminisces about the meal and old dates she had at the drive in, but how does that relate to her current husband who wasn't there with her?  She's so...odd. 

I'll also be honest that some of the recipe choices she makes on this show disturb me. She's clearly not in great physical condition, and while I don't expect anyone to live on celery sticks and grilled chicken, she is pretty much on the Paula Deen end of the spectrum is terms of thumbing her nose at anything that resembles good nutrition.  I'll never make this kind of meal at home, because I'm at an age where I have to watch my fat, sodium, and cholesterol pretty much all the time.  Even when I didn't have to watch it, this kind of meal would be a once in a blue moon event.

I do think she's a far better cook than many of the personalities on FN and tune in because she does, from time to time, make some interesting things.  But again...she's so odd.

Edited by anneofcleves

I only saw bits and pieces of that date night/drive-in movie show, so someone please tell me what Nancy did when her hubby was sharing a piece of his meal, or drink, with her????  It looked like she breathed in his face???  Then she let loose with her belly laugh.  As I said, I was only half watching and what I saw looked so odd to me.

I can't stand her delivery.  She speaks as though she was talking to a class of pre-schoolers.

On another note, her stylist (if she even has one) does her no favors!  My goodness, everything about her, from jewelry to her skin-tight tunics are awful, just awful.

so someone please tell me what Nancy did when her hubby was sharing a piece of his meal, or drink, with her????  It looked like she breathed in his face???

When she made the onion dip, she was commenting on how you shouldn't have this on a first date, etc., etc. Then after she ate some of the dip she breathed on him with her onion breath.

But since they were fully cooked caramelized onions, they wouldn't necessarily give you the kind of onion breath associated with eating raw onions, correct?

Saw the anniversary of her farmhouse show, just bits and pieces, and found the little story of how she purchased the farmhouse very interesting.

Funny that they were just married, she puts a bid in on the farmhouse (without telling new hubby) she tells him what she did, he calls and take the offer off the table (without telling new wifey) she finds out and the rest is history.  Wish she would've finished telling the story.......I'm thinking hubby got a dressing down and never dared do that again.

Just thought it odd that neither one of them thought it important enough to share the big ticket purchase of the farmhouse and all that went along with it with each other.

• Love 1

Is this idiot drunk?  I saw the "dance marathon" hot mess.  Still with the halting talk.  PLUS we get bad singing.  Lots of it.  And Sandra Lee Yoda-Speak-- "into this bowl . . . I am . . . going to put . . . "  

• Love 2

My husband does the best vocal imitation of her. It's so funny, and spot on. I'M NANCY FULLER! ZOINK.

I've never tried any, but some of her recipes look quite good. The pasta with sausage and eggplant looked great, as did the Clementine pound cake.

• Love 1
(edited)

Wow home sick from work today and caught this show.  I had seen it once months ago when it first came on, and it hasn't gotten any better.  She looks like she cooks nice homestyle food, but please concentrate on showing me how to cook the food, why all the little cutesy phrases ("twinkle twinkle little sprinkle"???)  She is so corny.  And I HATE WITH A PASSION all that annoying music they play in the background.  They do it on Pioneer Woman too.  I think the only show where I can stand that is Ina's show because the music is so distinctive and just somehow fits with her show.  

These shows just make me appreciate more and more what Martha Stewart used to do on her old shows.  I know many don't like her, but she tried to teach something and the show was so calm and relaxing.

Edited by Joan van Snark
  • Love 6

Just when you think this woman could not be more disgusting, she manages to top herself.  Eats a peach and wipes her freaking face on the orchard owner's shirt.  She's a straight-up, no-class pig.   

Her ass has to be the biggest thing on TV, and is not a good advertisement for the fatty foods she makes.  Every time they show her hoisting that behind on some motorized vehicle, all I can think is "Lady, you need to try walking once in awhile." 

I am far from thin, but man, she is just plain unhealthy-looking.

"I'm going to take these peaches . . . and make . . . peach  . . . cobbler.   And feed it . . . to those kids . . . for supper."  The way she bellowed that out, it sounded like she was going to cram it down their throats.    WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS WOMAN?????  WHY THE HELL IS SHE ON TV????  I lasted about two minutes and changed channels.

• Love 3

BWAHHH!!! That was spot-on!! Exactly....the way that .... Nancy.... talks.  The last glimpse I saw of her was while channel-surfing the other day and Nancy was mixing up potato salad with her bare hands. She had mayonnaise up to her elbows. She called it "rustic and homey."

Season two debuted today and unfortunately, not much has changed. I hate to sound mean, but Nancy looks like she's gained quite a bit of weight. I guess that's a testament to her cooking.  Also, the halting.. loud... delivery is... worse... than... ever.

Aunt Jenny, the habitual gambler from Las Vegas, returned today. Now we are all know that 'ol Jenny used to stir up food fights at the childhood dinner table. Fiesty!

One thing I did notice was that any references to alcohol were toned way down. Nancy made a point to note that the shrub didn't contain any alcohol. I think that she referred to the beer she used to make the batter for the fish as "GiGi Juice," but she stopped before she predictably ventured on to taking a big swig out of the bottle.

It was interesting to learn about shrub and how it's made. I'd never heard of it. I'd like to try some.

There was a lot of emphasis on "fresh" today. The food looked pretty good, but I had just finished watching Rachel Khoo and a vendor from a London food truck make fish and chips and then Lorraine Pascal and a London food truck vendor make fish sandwiches and chips. So, I wasn't too interested in Nancy's.

Regarding the ginger trifle in Mason jars. (I hate that trend.) It was just layers of whipped cream and gingersnaps. I thought trifle was supposed to have some kind of fruit component in it like macerated fruit or jam. I guess that was the purpose of the shrub, as it contained pears???

• Love 1

Season two debuted today and unfortunately, not much has changed. I hate to sound mean, but Nancy looks like she's gained quite a bit of weight. I guess that's a testament to her cooking.  Also, the halting.. loud... delivery is... worse... than... ever.

omg, could not agree more!  Her delivery was worse than ever!  What is her director thinking?  As far as her 'look,' she appeared to me to have just rolled out of bed.  The only thing missing was a cigarette hanging out of her mouth and a can of beer in one of her meat-hook hands.

I can't even bear to watch her taste anything......I feel so bad saying it........but her face, the way she eats, ......too much for me, but yet I can't turn away.

I also thought something was way different with the filming of season two, looked like something different with the lighting, camera angles......the whole thing was just a big sloppy mess, just like her!

• Love 1

I don't understand why this mess of a show was renewed. Were the ratings really good enough to watch what I consider to be an unattractive loud person make pedestrian and less than healthy food to renew it? Or does Gordon Elliott, her exec producer, have enough clout with FN that he can keep it going? After all, he lost his cash cow on FN, Paula Deen. Gordon sure doesn't need the work - he's got a real hit with "The Chew" on ABC. Ree Drummond I understand, she has a built in fan base with her blog, but this woman? I just don't get it.

• Love 1

Did she actually say to her aunt, "I made you fried fish because it's so quick and easy, and now I can spend more time with you."?  Am I the only one who finds breading, battering, and deep frying fish to be a total pain in the ass to cook and clean up?  I think she's doing math the Ree Drummond (16 minute meals) way.

I didn't think she looked any worse than usual, which is pretty much like hell warmed over.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 1

i did a little snooping and found Nancy's website. Turns out that ol' David is hubby number FOUR!!

Also, the Fullers or Ginsbergs or whatever they go by, actually own "Farmer Fred's Farm." Farmer Fred and Co. lease it.

Finally.... she has "Chop, Chop in the Pot," TRADEMARKED!! BWAHH!!  How about, "Glug, Glug, Down the Jug" with her GIGi Juice.

Edited by grisgris
  • Love 5

The food didn't look too bad. I was interested in the homemade vanilla wafers and a refresher on making homemade pudding. It didn't look like enough food to feed all of those people.

Otherwise, that show was a hot mess. David probably packed up and took off for the week. I caught at the beginning of the show that "Camp GiGi" used to last for an ENTIRE MONTH -- until David put his foot down. Ugh... Can you imagine?  A bunch of kids underfoot for even a very short period of time isn't my idea of a good time to begin with. 

I wonder how much they had to bribe the older kids and drag them all away from their phones, tablets, TV, etc., to play those corny old-fashioned games?

What a trainwreck...

• Love 1

And we had another example of Nancy talking about her kids negatively when she talked about her daughter's idea to remove the silk from the corn cob and Nancy failing at it. "Well I guess I know who is doing the corn next time" or whatever she belched out. Just how like she told her son he arranged the wood all wrong in her stove last season.

• Love 1

How very odd - I saw Nancy on The Chew today and she was "normal." No sing-songy voice or like talking to nursery school kids. Or cutesy sayings. It was nice to see.

However - her tone on her show is precisely why I don't watch it much, unless channel surfing.

Almost as soon as I saw her on The Chew, I changed the channel. The little I saw she did seem normal. But I can't abide her or her show, so the channel was changed. I thought what the hell is she doing there? And then I remembered Gordon Elliott, exec producer of The Chew, is the exec producer of her show. Is an appearance by Paula Deen launching her new "network" far behind?

I swear that Nancy was having an orgasm today over that prime rib. I fully expected her to pick up that rack of bones with her greasy paws and start gnawing on it.

The mint brownies looked pretty good.

That's about all I can say about the show...

i did a little snooping and found Nancy's website. Turns out that ol' David is hubby number FOUR!!

Also, the Fullers or Ginsbergs or whatever they go by, actually own "Farmer Fred's Farm." Farmer Fred and Co. lease it.

Finally.... she has "Chop, Chop in the Pot," TRADEMARKED!! BWAHH!!  How about, "Glug, Glug, Down the Jug" with her GIGi Juice.

HA! Watching Nancy pour untold amounts of liquor into her Gigi Juice, it's no suprise it's Husband #4.

I swear that Nancy was having an orgasm today over that prime rib. I fully expected her to pick up that rack of bones with her greasy paws and start gnawing on it.

I was thinking the same thing! My was she proud of her Prime Rib! I probably rewound that at least 3 times because I was laughing so hard.

• Love 1

This show is so weird. I think that's why I keep watching it.

Nancy seems to be pretty knowledgeable about food and cooking -- that's pretty clear. I think she is probably more credible than someone like Ree. I like that she doesn't have any cream-of-something soup type recipes and makes just about everything herself. On yesterday's show she made the brownies from scratch, and said that sure, it's easy to open up a box of mix, but not that much harder to make something yourself, and it will be much better. That's true -- and you can avoid extra additives and preservatives. I get that it was brownies, but still, I agreed with her point. She's got some interesting asides, like the field trip to see the two women who make the shrub. No one will argue that she's making health-conscious meals, but she is at least starting with real ingredients, so there is some knowledge and background there.

And, she will pour something out of a bowl and then take the time to use a rubber scraper to get everything, which I appreciate. My biggest cooking show pet peeve is when the host pours something out of a bowl and then just sets it aside, without scraping it out. It's so wasteful. I've seen Giada, Ree, Paula, and even Ina do this. Drives me nuts. I've never seen Nancy do that (although that doesn't mean she never has). Anne Burrell was another one who would take the time to get everything, saying, "We paid for all of this, let's make sure we use it!" Yes! Plus, if you don't scrape out the bowl, you're leaving half your ingredients behind, so then your recipe is going to be out of whack. 

Then on the other hand, is her terrible forced delivery that is way too boisterous. The silly "stories" set up as the reason for her to be cooking. The manufactured reasons for her to have to leave and go somewhere -- even though the side trip often turns out to be kind of interesting. Like last week (I think?) she had to leave and pretend that she was so concerned that David wouldn't hear the timer to take something out of the oven. Eye-roll. Maybe if they would just let her cook she wouldn't seem so uncomfortable in front of the camera.

And I think grisgris said that in the season premiere she looked like she'd gained quite a bit of weight -- I thought so too, but after seeing more episodes, I don't think so. I think she was just wearing a horribly unflattering outfit that made her look much bigger than she really is.

• Love 3

Yeah. I didn't mean to call Nancy out on her size. She does, indeed, wear unflattering clothes. Something just looked very different about her. It seems like her hair is longer and a little bit lighter. I kinda like her oversized acid green glasses! ITA that she can totally cook and encourages the viewers to cook from scratch and use fresh ingredients. I'd rather make something of Nancy's than Ree's.

• Love 1

I agree that she is far more credible than Ree and seems to know her stuff, but as with most of the FN lineup she doesn't make much of anything that I would want to cook.  She's really into the heavy, down home cooking that we don't love.

And her rapture over the prime rib sandwiches was kind of icky.  I kept waiting for her to pick the damned hunk of meat up and start gnawing on it.  She can be pretty gross, though not Paula Deen gross.  I hope she doesn't go there.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 1

And her rapture over the prime rib sandwiches was kind of icky.  I kept waiting for her to pick the damned hunk of meat up and start gnawing on it.  She can be pretty gross, though not Paula Deen gross.  I hope she doesn't go there.

Yeah, it was a bit over the top. I love me some prime rib, and I might be feeling about it the same way Nancy did, but chances are I wouldn't verbalize it. And certainly not in front of a camera.

About 8 years ago, my husband's business partner gave us a 20 lb hunk of prime rib for Christmas. It was a pricey cut of meat. This was before I really knew anything about cooking, so it sat in the freezer for awhile. Plus, at the time, it was just my husband and me, so I really didn't know what the hell to do with it. Anyway, I finally found a recipe that sounded pretty straightforward so I decided to give it a try. I told my husband I was going to take the prime rib to a specialty meat shop and have a butcher there cut it into a few smaller pieces. My husband said, "Screw that. They'll probably charge you at least $20. Follow me." He grabbed the prime rib, went out into the garage, and used his saws-all to cut it into about 4 smaller pieces. So there we were, with me holding this huge hunk of meat, and my husband carving it into smaller pieces. I started laughing and told him I hoped none of the neighbors were watching (the garage door was open) because I felt like I was in an episode of The Sopranos.

Back to Nancy though, I would really like to give her a makeover. I'm no tiny delicate flower and I totally get that your first instinct is to wear loose, baggy clothes. But often they are very unflattering and just look terrible. So either she is insisting on wearing that stuff, or she's got a terrible stylist who is accustomed to size 0's and has no idea how to dress a larger woman.

Those brownies looked really good, and I loved the idea of the mint frosting. Maybe I'll get a wild hair and try them.

• Love 3

They replayed her "Date Night" show where she made curly fries, double decker burgers ("he just loves my buns!"), and chocolate milk shakes.  I'm not a skinny little thing and don't get off on disparaging overweight people, but that's about the last meal that couple needs.  And them blowing their onion breath at one another is just not cute at all.  

I think when I first watched this episode I was all over the ridiculousness of someone making curly fries, burgers, and milkshakes at home.  Who makes this meal at home unless they live in the middle of nowhere without a greasy spoon within driving distance?  But on replay it's even worse because she's gross and not funny at all.  At least Paula Deen (some will smack me) had a good sense of humor underneath all the raunchiness.

Edited by anneofcleves
  • Love 2

OK. She officially freaks me out. She seems like one minute away from murdering everyone. Here's your s'mores girls (uh, there's boys there)

And again with the dismissive nature with her kids, Oh, she's going to be a doctor but I'm a doctor in the kitchen or whatever the hell she said.

I still watch because I am intrigued as to when she completely loses it.

Dear God, the next time someone insists that weight issues aren't somewhat inheritable, they need to watch the latest episode with Nancy and her even shorter and fatter daughter---yes, I realize that Nancy tends to cook high-fat, high sugar foods, but there is no denying the odd shape of her body which her unfortunate daughter has inherited. Then to have Nancy pronouncing on healthy fresh food when she looks so unhealthy herself? Just no. I say this as someone who is overweight, but recently lost 30+lbs through exercise mostly---I eat what I want just less of it. Her delivery on camera remains odd, I can't quite figure out how she got a show on HGTV (I won't even make a "who did she blow" joke on the issue.)

• Love 1

I watch all of the cooking shows, even on the worst shows it is possible to pick up a tip or something, even a broken clock is right twice a day. But I can not get past all of the voice-overs of this show. They are every other sentence. I mean why? What is she saying or not saying they feel the need to cover up or add to constantly?

On today's show where she made the biscuit BLTAs, did I see a New York Housewife? Heather??? The one who does Yummy Tummy? She looked terrific. And, yeah, I have a problem with Nancy's voice and delivery. Her property is absolutely gorgeous, though. I have to say, I've never wanted to recreate anything she makes.

• Love 1

On today's show where she made the biscuit BLTAs, did I see a New York Housewife? Heather??? The one who does Yummy Tummy? She looked terrific. And, yeah, I have a problem with Nancy's voice and delivery. Her property is absolutely gorgeous, though. I have to say, I've never wanted to recreate anything she makes.

Yep, that was Heather.  I'm dying for Nancy's strawberry-rhubarb pie.  Boy did it look good!

• Love 1

How this show got renewed, I have no idea.  Nancy's way of speech is just grating...  She acts as though her audience is comprised of four-year olds. 

I won't harp on her weight - yes, her recipies tend to be high in fat and calories, but she's hardly alone (I'm looking at you Ree).  The big thing for me is her delivery.  Very, very bad.

Why, o' why did they not renew Heartland Table instead!?!?

Edited by Bajovane
  • Love 1

Just finished half-listening to the 'canning' episode and she was off the chart with her sing-songy delivery!  I can't imagine the director or anyone on the set, for that matter, not telling her to just talk normally.  

Then they're all tasting the soup in her 'fly' soup bowls and she exclaims to the camera how hard the soup was to make since she had to peel the butternut squash--it was just so weird.

Bajovane, Heartland Table has been renewed!!!!  Probably the best show on the FN as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by finnzup
  • Love 2