Type keyword(s) to search

Shark Tank in the Media

Amarsir
  • Start Topic

I'm glad it's moving back to Fridays as I thought it was always a nice way to end my work week (you know, nothing too in-depth just enjoyable to watch and maybe learn a bit...).  I also think it will be easier for families to watch together as I think there are some really good points made about businesses.  Of course, the cry stories can be a bit too much.

• Love 1

NPR's Pop Culture Happy Hour discusses Shark Tank. Washington correspondent Tamara Keith loves the show, who knew? Glen Weldon had not watched it before, and hated it. But they all make a lot of interesting points.

WELDON: This show - and I'm taking this far too seriously. I get that. But this show is built on the proposition that selling somebody crap they don't need is somehow noble or romantic or brave.

Can't say he's entirely wrong. Also, I did not know they do, or did. get a cut of sales because of the 'Shark Tank bump' on anything that appears.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

NPR's Pop Culture Happy Hour discusses Shark Tank. Washington correspondent Tamara Keith loves the show, who knew? Glen Weldon had not watched it before, and hated it. But they all make a lot of interesting points.

Can't say he's entirely wrong. Also, I did not know they do, or did. get a cut of sales because of the 'Shark Tank bump' on anything that appears.

I thought that stopped when Mark Cuban joined the show and insisted.  Before, the show got one half of one percent of every company.  

I think they should still take that small percentage as that may keep away those who go on just for increased sales without intention of making a deal (i.e. $7 million dollars for 3% [exaggeration, but still...]).  

I actually also wish that Mark Cuban (and Lori) would take a few episodes off.

• Love 1

I have been surprised that there hasn't been a lot of push-back against Barbara (with the exception of on this board) for the many, many offensive comments she has made over the years (in the early seasons telling someone he looks like a pig [bbq presentation], many comments about the looks of various male presenters [which if reversed would create a storm], etc).  Sometimes I am just amazed what she gets away with-maybe no more.

• Love 7

Because I'm a huge cynic and skeptic, I looked up how many employees Spanx has. I seriously doubt all 750 employees got plane tickets and $10,000 apiece. And how about the folks at the mills that make the garments for Spanx? Yes, I am fun at parties.

The investment firm Blackstone just acquired a majority stake in Spanx at a $1.2 billion valuation...whatever that means.

• Love 4

Let's say the pair of tickets is $5,000. So that's $15,000 times 750 employees = $11.25 million.

It's completely reasonable to expect that it's all 750 employees, however "employee" is defined by the company. 

For what it's worth, she doesn't actually say in that video it's all 750 employees. She just says it to the ones we see her speaking to, but it's being reported as all employees. 

However it's my opinion that sharing $11 million of that sale with each and every one of the 750 employees sounds like what she wanted to do. When entrepreneurs go from "I had $5,000 when I started this" to "Just got a check for $X billion!" they do stuff like this.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, DEL901 said:

I read about this on Friday last week & have been very surprised with the lack of media coverage generally. One drug they mentioned in the report I read said that his company will be selling a generic version of one of the drugs commonly used for $43 rather than the $10,000 the drug company charges.

How is this not headlines news everywhere?

• Love 3
On 10/26/2021 at 7:18 PM, bilgistic said:

Because I'm a huge cynic and skeptic, I looked up how many employees Spanx has. I seriously doubt all 750 employees got plane tickets and $10,000 apiece. And how about the folks at the mills that make the garments for Spanx? Yes, I am fun at parties.

The investment firm Blackstone just acquired a majority stake in Spanx at a $1.2 billion valuation...whatever that means.

I can believe all the employees got that, but they better enjoy it because an investment firm taking a majority stake means the end of most perks. If she no longer has the final say over policies at the company, it’ll probably go downhill from a worker’s satisfaction standpoint.

• Love 1

Nat Geo channel is running a weekend marathon of episodes.  So far 2016 Season 8, in order.    However, CNBC still lists the reruns (mostly 2018 to 2020 this week) every evening but Friday and Saturday. 

I forgot so many of the more bizarre, like the mail a potato through the U.S. mail with messages on them.  (It's Potato Parcel, and as far as I can tell they still operate).

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
On 11/11/2022 at 8:26 PM, JTMacc99 said:

Futon Critic is showing episodes on 11/11, 11/18, 12/2, and 12/9 before the month off for the holidays.

They are now confirming Dec 9 is the Fall Finale

• Useful 2

Remember those oversize hats we relentlessly mocked? They're having a moment.

Washington Commanders star Brian Robinson's big hat resulted in some BIG sales for the company behind the massive lid ... 'cause TMZ Sports is told their business saw a whopping 2,000% increase in orders!!

Robinson's hat quickly went viral after Sunday's 19-13 win over the Atlanta Falcons ... and the running back hilariously told reporters -- "If you want a big hat, let me know."

Noggin Boss -- the company that sells big hats starting at $75 -- tells us the impact was immediate ... with Monday being one of the biggest days in the brand's history.

As it turns out, NB says a bunch of major television networks hit them up to get Noggins for their on-air talent following Robinson's appearance.

I'm sure this we'll be seeing this as one of the 'after the show' stories.

No episode again this week? What's the schedule? Why do they have so many weeks without episodes? Season started so long ago and we're only on ep17. There's still like 7 episodes to go(considering if last ep is 24).

Can someone explain why they have so many gaps per episode for a single season? Sometimes its 1 week, sometimes its 2. I think once it was 3 weeks too(not sure). They even have a mid-season break sometimes.

I mean haven't they already finished filming the entire season?

On 3/25/2023 at 2:12 PM, tired and hungry said:

No episode again this week? What's the schedule? Why do they have so many weeks without episodes? Season started so long ago and we're only on ep17. There's still like 7 episodes to go(considering if last ep is 24).

Can someone explain why they have so many gaps per episode for a single season? Sometimes its 1 week, sometimes its 2. I think once it was 3 weeks too(not sure). They even have a mid-season break sometimes.

I mean haven't they already finished filming the entire season?

It's the time of year for repeats given they only have 22 or 24 episodes to stretch 9 months or so. And March is full of March Madness basketball games, with the championship game in early April. This has been the way for many years

Edited by DanaK
1 hour ago, DanaK said:

It's the time of year for repeats given they only have 22 or 24 episodes to stretch 9 months or so. And March is full of March Madness basketball games, with the championship game in early April. This has been the way for many years

I'm not from the US so this concept of multiple breaks while airing a show to stretch it for 8-9 months is just strange to me!😅

The idea of a mid-season break just seems so weird! (I remember thinking this when I used to watch Grey's Anatomy many moons ago lol)

I guess I'm just used to watching shows with daily episodes on tv!

25 minutes ago, tired and hungry said:

I'm not from the US so this concept of multiple breaks while airing a show to stretch it for 8-9 months is just strange to me!😅

The idea of a mid-season break just seems so weird! (I remember thinking this when I used to watch Grey's Anatomy many moons ago lol)

I guess I'm just used to watching shows with daily episodes on tv!

Ah, I see, I didn't know that you weren't American. This is mostly an issue with broadcast shows; streamers just either release all episodes at once or they and cable networks show them weekly without breaks. But several cable shows and streaming shows will split their seasons in half and show the second half later. Of course, depending on where you live, many foreign shows are only 6 episodes long (like the UK) so repeats aren't an issue. In the old days, broadcast shows had many more episodes to fill the regular TV season and repeats were mostly relegated to the Summer

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, DanaK said:

Ah, I see, I didn't know that you weren't American. This is mostly an issue with broadcast shows; streamers just either release all episodes at once or they and cable networks show them weekly without breaks. But several cable shows and streaming shows will split their seasons in half and show the second half later. Of course, depending on where you live, many foreign shows are only 6 episodes long (like the UK) so repeats aren't an issue. In the old days, broadcast shows had many more episodes to fill the regular TV season and repeats were mostly relegated to the Summer

And advertising rates for shows are (or were) set during November, February and May, so you always made sure you had new episodes during those months.  

• Like 1