Type keyword(s) to search

Shark Tank in the Media

Amarsir
  • Start Topic

Interesting, although given the sample size, basically all the metrics he chose to look at are hovering at 50%, which to me suggests none of these factors are KPIs. I'd be intrigued to see the breakdown by industry, or type of company (service vs product) etc. See if anything seems to stick out. It'd also be interesting to see it broken down by Shark, although I think that one would be more interesting based on if the Shark made an offer, not necessarily deal, since those with multiple offers might obscure a Shark's proclivity to invest in certain things. But in that sense I'm thinking of "are you likely to get an offer from X". Good thing I don't DVR this show or have any saved or else I'd need to stop my urge to do the math...

• Love 1

Beyond the Tank has been picked up for more episodes beyond the first three.  There doesn't seem to be any indication if these are the same batch of episodes (ten were planned, even though only three were scheduled) or additional ones.

Be that as it may, if I were among the Forum Gods, I'd still maintain not giving it its own forum, but I will bow to their greater wisdom.

Beyond the Tank has been picked up for more episodes beyond the first three.  There doesn't seem to be any indication if these are the same batch of episodes (ten were planned, even though only three were scheduled) or additional ones.

Be that as it may, if I were among the Forum Gods, I'd still maintain not giving it its own forum, but I will bow to their greater wisdom.

Thanks for the update starri. We'll definitely keep it within the Shark Tank forum. If there are a lot of episodes it may make the subforum idea the best bet in the long run but no immediate need to change.

http://time.com/3964822/meet-shark-tanks-newest-sharks/

I don't know who the other two are, but Ashton Kutcher? Ugh

Thanks for the article.  While Troy Carter is listed as Lady Gaga's manager, I know him because he used to manage the actress/rapper Eve.  So I am pretty sure he will be filling in for Daymond (if you know what I mean).  Since they are all active investors, I guess it makes sense.  Eventually, every shark besides Cuban were going to have to take a break no matter how successful some of their investments were.  I look forward to new sharks and a hopefully more diverse panel.

• Love 1

17 Really Surprising Things About Shark Tank and Success (Updated)

http://www.inc.com/bill-murphy-jr/17-really-surprising-things-about-shark-tank-and-success-updated.html

I knew some of the things on the list but found #7 the most interesting as the show has grown in popularity: 

7. Your odds of getting on the show are about 3 in 1,000.

Both Tecco’s analysis and mine show that 49 percent of teams received at least a handshake deal during the first five seasons. Of course, that just means that contestants get to the point of trying to get through due diligence.

Simply getting on the show to begin with is a much harder slog. During the last season, 35,000 people applied to be on the show, and 157 were invited to pitch on film. Of those, about 112--meaning .3 percent--actually made it to air.

I wish I could remember where I read it... that Robert had broken up with his dancing partner... but Barbara just posted this, isn't that her with him? (I fully admit to not knowing all the DWTS people).

https://www.facebook.com/TheBarbaraCorcoran/photos/a.115470739769.95267.99351854769/10153641638294770/?type=3&theater

I had read they broke up in exactly one article, a few weeks ago. Then Robert was in an interview where he referenced still dating Kym and they've shown up at several DWTS press events since then. Maybe they had a blip? Or the media assumed they broke up since there was about a month they weren't papped together.

I haven't watched the show for a few weeks, as I felt it was getting repetitive (too many Lori deals, mainly) but it's been entertaining reading the advice that the Sharks have been giving in interviews for whoever wins Power Ball.  I've seen recommendations from Mark, Kevin and Barbara, all pretty much sensible as you'd expect.

Mr. Wonderful might be pulling a Trump, and is considering running for the leadership of Canada's Conservative Party.

“I thought at some point, someone is going to say to me, if you can be such a critic, why don’t you do better? Why don’t you try it?” CBC News quoted Mr. O’Leary as saying. “I thought to myself, hmmm, maybe I should.”

Mr. O’Leary also said he was inspired by the Donald Trump campaign in the U.S. Republican race, saying he thinks Mr. Trump is “smart as a fox.”

(edited)

StubHub is pretty much the only way to get tickets to Hamilton at this point, unless you know someone in the company and can get house seats. It's sold out for all future performances. The least surprising thing about that story is the StubHub factor.

Edited by theatremouse
30 minutes ago, starri said:

He probably invested in it.

I don't know, I just assume that incredibly wealthy people would just call Lin-Manuel Miranda directly.

Even LMM only has access to so many seats per perf. I'm sure plenty of "incredibly wealthy" people do try that, but unless they actually know him, it ain't gonna help. Even the demand amongst the super rich exceeds their capacity to call in favors.

Damn, why did Mark Cuban have to make himself an arrogant know-it-all?  And I liked him best.  Now I can't stand him. 

Guess I just learned what Maverick fans have known a long time now.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, yeswedo said:

I would love to see their reaction to the Hair Coach. 

It sounds wacky, but it's made by Kerastase/L'Oreal, a company that's been making great hair care products for decades, so I'm sure there's some solid research and expertise behind it. It's not for me though, since I will never part with my Mason Pearson soft boar bristle brush.

The "Elmoji" robot looks fun; if it gets good reviews and isn't too expensive, I might get one for my 5-year-old niece and 4-year-old nephew.

Edited by chocolatine

And I can't pick up a link right now, but Chris Sacca announced today that he's retiring from investing and Shark Tank. Now I shall go console myself with my wine sippy cup while one perfect tear rolls down my cheek. 

Edited by wisteria
  • Love 10

The Baker's Edge brownie pan was on there, and I remember thinking "But....I have a pan with square shapes, like cupcakes, that has been on the market for a while." Which does give you crust all the way around, unlike their pan. They also had a cupcake pan that had the holes not in a line, but adjacent to each other in a honeycomb pattern. Both pans were stupid, in that other pans were out there that did a better job.

I mean, I've wanted a female guest shark for a while.  I just wanted it to be Arianna Huffington.

I've never watched a Real Housewives, and I know she had her Skinny Girl vodka, but didn't she end up broke?

On 5/14/2017 at 8:24 AM, cooksdelight said:

The Baker's Edge brownie pan was on there, and I remember thinking "But....I have a pan with square shapes, like cupcakes, that has been on the market for a while." Which does give you crust all the way around, unlike their pan. They also had a cupcake pan that had the holes not in a line, but adjacent to each other in a honeycomb pattern. Both pans were stupid, in that other pans were out there that did a better job.

I remember it was on too, because I kept thinking how my favorite part of brownies are the gooey middle pieces and wondering if I was some kind of freak.

• Love 3
On 5/18/2017 at 5:50 PM, KaveDweller said:

I remember it was on too, because I kept thinking how my favorite part of brownies are the gooey middle pieces and wondering if I was some kind of freak.

Yes, go with your gut, you are a freak.  

On 5/16/2017 at 3:16 PM, MoonWalker said:

Shark Tank is moving to Sundays at 9:00pm

http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/16/abc-fall-schedule-2017/

This better not compete with Bar Rescue! Ugh. I'm just thinking of all the stuff that I have that records on Sunday nights at 20:00 Central.

On 5/15/2017 at 1:40 PM, starri said:

You know how we were all glad that Chris Sacca was going away?

We should have been careful what we wished for.

Bethenny Frankel and Alex Rodriguez are going to be horrible. Richard Branson should be awesome. I don't care about the other two and so they'll probably also suck.

Who is staying from the regular group or are these just going to be guest sharks?  

Richard Branson, oh yes!  

Not all that familiar with Bethany but what I do no is a huge thumbs down from me.  

I know very little about Alex.