Type keyword(s) to search

Super(girl) Media

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

It's been out for a while. I actually do think it's better - more concise, more "epic", the first trailer felt a  bit too long. And it's OK to focus more on exciting, action stuff more because this is the biggest draw of the show, IMHO.

I think the second one is more effective as a commercial, partly because it's so much shorter.  OTOH, the long one is from the Upfronts presentation and was intended to give media buyers enough info to open their checkbooks and purchase commercial slots, which is why they essentially gave the store away in it; they needed to show all the characters, set up the relationships, and give a taste of what both sides of Kara's dual identity are going to be like.  That we got to see it (hello, NBC and Heroes Reborn!) is a bonus.

• Love 3

Interesting point from the YouTube of the First Look video that I think is worth mentioning is that there was barely a month between the end of principle photography for the pilot and First Look trailer. Why this is relevant is that the FX in the actual pilot (and episodes in general) might be a bit cleaner (although it already looks pretty good for a TV budget) depending on how far ahead of the upfronts they needed the trailer ready.

As someone who dabbles in 3D modeling for fun I can tell you there's a world of difference between what a piece looks like after 7 days and what it looks like after 14 days (i.e. an extra seven days... 40+ hours per person involved spent fixing the digital effects to make them look realistic).

• Love 1

As someone who dabbles in 3D modeling for fun I can tell you there's a world of difference between what a piece looks like after 7 days and what it looks like after 14 days (i.e. an extra seven days... 40+ hours per person involved spent fixing the digital effects to make them look realistic).

Going to Small Talk.

It's been out for a while. I actually do think it's better - more concise, more "epic", the first trailer felt a  bit too long. And it's OK to focus more on exciting, action stuff more because this is the biggest draw of the show, IMHO.

It's certainly true that the other trailer basically "ruins" the entire first episode... but... that (the length) wasn't what people were raging about.  They were enraged about stuff like poppy MTV/ABC Family-drama worthy music being used, and Kara doing stuff other than punching people in it.

They did clean up the effects a bit, that's true.  I groaned out loud at how cheesy the plane sequence looked in the other trailer. But seeing the bit where she flies at the bad guy in the second trailer shows a much improved view of the flying.

Heh, I'm gonna start a drinking game REALLY early though.  Every time we see some clever angle so that we don't see under her skirt... drink.  That was always the weakness of that item of clothing on Supergirl and they've walked right into having to dodge the problems from it.

• Love 1

Heh, I'm gonna start a drinking game REALLY early though.  Every time we see some clever angle so that we don't see under her skirt... drink.  That was always the weakness of that item of clothing on Supergirl and they've walked right into having to dodge the problems from it.

That's the other reason why I don't like that particular silhouette for the skirt; something a little more form-fitting would be easier wrangle/stay put (and probably easier for the FX people to deal with).

Anyway, since that is the skirt they picked, I guessing she's going to have a magical "Pocahontas skirt" that conveniently defies physics.

• Love 1

You do realize that TWD and GOT are both shows of a completely different genre with a different target audience and thematic? Supergirl is obviously not trying to compete with them. It will probably be a lighter, simpler fare. And there's nothing wrong with liking it over the stuff you've mentioned (for the record, I also watch GOT - although right now, I'm wishing I wasn't - and I find TWD tedious and overrated).

"Women" isn't a category this show targets. It targets young adults. Those who like comic book movies, MCU, The Flash, Arrow, etc. And it probably wants to have a bigger W18-34 demo compared to that stuff. There are enough women who like comic books and adaptations, or those who probably could be tempted to watch.

How the hell can you know she's not going to be a well-rounded and complex character? Have you seen the whole show already? I've no idea how it's possible to conclude that from a short trailer.

The point I was demonstrating is that a even a show who at first glance is not aimed at women (such as TWD or GoT) in actuality can attract a lot of female viewers. There was no need to go in a cliche rom-com direction and alienating a big chuck of the audience.

I can see it being popular with young girls, at best.

That's what we're here for, to speculate and discuss. If you think discussing a show that hasn't aired yet is pointless, you have no reason to be here.

• Love 1

Regarding the skirt, she's also got darker tights/hose under the skirt and, presuming that the blue top is basically a leotard over hose with a skirt over it, her outfit would be no more revealing than a typical ballerina whose spins often reveal the leotard underneath. So long as they don't go out of their way to focus on it I really don't think it'll be a problem.

Heck, now that I think about it... with the tights/hose she's basically wearing Superman's outfit with a skirt OVER that. If Superman can get away with a speedo over tights I don't think Kara has anything to worry about on the modesty front.

• Love 2

Regarding the skirt, she's also got darker tights/hose under the skirt and, presuming that the blue top is basically a leotard over hose with a skirt over it, her outfit would be no more revealing than a typical ballerina whose spins often reveal the leotard underneath. So long as they don't go out of their way to focus on it I really don't think it'll be a problem.

Heck, now that I think about it... with the tights/hose she's basically wearing Superman's outfit with a skirt OVER that. If Superman can get away with a speedo over tights I don't think Kara has anything to worry about on the modesty front.

Yeah, but that misses the point.  It's not that we're at risk of actually seeing anything.  It's that it comes off as totally undignified to break that illusion. In a shot of her flying at some descending angle, by all rights you SHOULD be seeing that skirt rolled over her backside and over her waist.  But... we won't.  Because regardless of what we'd actually see, it's the rolling up of the skirt that's embarrassing, not what's underneath it.

• Love 1
(edited)
If you think discussing a show that hasn't aired yet is pointless, you have no reason to be here.

I don't think claiming that the lead is one-dimensional and the show is so simplistic that only children can watch (in short, talking about objective quality) simply based on trailer is actual discussion. Feels more like straight-up hate.

It would be another thing to say "The Flash is simplistic and formulaic, based on its success I think Berlanti may just copy the formula but with more women" - now, this would make sense.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

I don't think claiming that the lead is one-dimensional and the show is so simplistic that only children can watch (in short, talking about objective quality) simply based on trailer is actual discussion. Feels more like straight-up hate.

It would be another thing to say "The Flash is simplistic and formulaic, based on its success I think Berlanti may just copy the formula but with more women" - now, this would make sense.

I think it's okay for someone to venture that opinion, but also okay for us to smash that opinion to pieces based on the notion that it's clearly based on a very shallow pool of material from which the conclusion was drawn.

• Love 2

Everyone, please remember: it's fine to discuss various interpretations of the trailer.  It's not okay to attack other posters for holding those opinions or to question their motivations.  Thanks!

Yeah, but that misses the point.  It's not that we're at risk of actually seeing anything.  It's that it comes off as totally undignified to break that illusion. In a shot of her flying at some descending angle, by all rights you SHOULD be seeing that skirt rolled over her backside and over her waist.  But... we won't.  Because regardless of what we'd actually see, it's the rolling up of the skirt that's embarrassing, not what's underneath it.

That would depend entirely upon the angle of descent (is descending head first, feet first, or parralel to the ground), the rate of descent (the faster the descent the more drag there would be acting on the skirt to pull it opposite the direction she was flying) and the stiffness of the material (i.e. how resistant is it to forces acting on it).

Based on the little we've seen I suspect the skirt flipping up won't be an issue if she flies remotely like how Superman has been depicted. If so, her landings are probably going to start parralel to the ground (i.e. traditional flight pose) and then swing her body down into a more or less standing position as she reaches the ground which would result in any drag pulling her skirt back (just like her cape) instead of up. Indeed, short of descending perfectly feet first with her legs straight there aren't many angles of flight where her skirt would be prone to flipping up.

Also  of note is that the front pleats on the skirt are a bit curious in that it seems almost like the front flap is almost detatched from the rest of the skirt and that makes me wonder if the whole thing isn't some sort of 'skort' (shorts with panels to make it look like a skirt... also known as skants) instead of an actual skirt, simply because that would render the whole argument moot.

From supergirl.tv, this shot and this one definitely look like it's a skirt (I'm not embedding so as to save their bandwidth).  There are, however, a couple of shots in the second trailer where she lands at speed (which surprised me; it's not like Melissa can actually fly, so crashing into the ground at speed is a pretty decent stunt to pull off), and it didn't billow all that much.

A story from AdWeek about the First Look's reception:

George Schweitzer has spent 20 years overseeing the trailers for the new shows CBS unveils at its upfront presentations each May.... Yet, not even an upfront vet like Schweitzer was prepared for the astounding global reaction to CBS' trailer for Supergirl, one of fall's most eagerly anticipated new shows, after it debuted at the network's May 13 upfront..... Within two days, more than 5 million people had viewed the trailer online. A week after its May 13 debut, that number has risen to more than 10 million.

The 10 million figure eclipses the total views of all the other CBS, ABC, NBC and Fox upfront trailers combined.

Emphasis added.

• Love 4
(edited)

A story from AdWeek about the First Look's reception:

I don't usually say "good for CBS", because they peddle a lot of total shit to the world, but... "good for CBS". Because a.) this flies in the face of the sexist, nerd-rage inspired idiots who have damaged the comic book industry for decades  and also b.) it flies in the face of the usual garbage airing on CBS most of the time (yes, there are a few notable exceptions, but lets face it... mostly not).

Now lets see if this equates to actual viewers. There I AM kind of skeptical, especially with the competition in the same timeslot.  Arguably DWTS for example will draw off a large percentage of the female viewership, The Voice will draw off a lot of the uncommitted people, and Gotham the male comic book fans. Agewise, all three of those shows also can draw young viewers, depending on the situation. The CW is the only total non-threat in the timeslot, since it looks like they're putting some total sacrificial lamb ("Crazy Ex-Girlfriend") into the timeslot.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 4

My favorite Supergirl costume has only been used a few times really. She just has shorts on under the skirt. It makes perfect sense. You can see some of the art accompanying this article : http://www.sequentialtart.com/article.php?id=580

• Love 2

Now lets see if this equates to actual viewers. There I AM kind of skeptical, especially with the competition in the same timeslot.  Arguably DWTS for example will draw off a large percentage of the female viewership, The Voice will draw off a lot of the uncommitted people, and Gotham the male comic book fans. Agewise, all three of those shows also can draw young viewers, depending on the situation. The CW is the only total non-threat in the timeslot, since it looks like they're putting some total sacrificial lamb ("Crazy Ex-Girlfriend") into the timeslot.

If scheduling holds though, DWTS should end its fall run around mid-November and not pick up again until March and the Voice usually wraps it fall run in early Demember and doesn't start its spring run until late February and Gotham should be headed into its winter break by mid-November as well and not return until after the New Year.

If Supergirl starts right after DWTS ends (figure Nov 16) they're going to start out mostly competing with repeats/filler series at a time of year where people are looking for solid family fare and with the late start and a full season order it would have enough episodes to basically run straight through to May with only a couple of break weeks so people won't have much chance to skip a week to check something else out without missing the newest episode.

The late start is almost certainly a part of trying to maximize their potential audience and based on the above data it seems they might have a decent shot at doing so with a mid-November launch.

• Love 1
It's curious that people here seem to like this iteration. The trailer looks to be made by people who have no idea what women want. It's almost insulting that they think women have so little taste they will go for this.

It's curious that the OP thinks that Hollywood doesn't test this stuff with actual women. Also, it's curious that the OP thinks women can't like things like Supergirl while The Flash  and Arrow isn't "insulting" to their supposed demos.

The walking dead is very popular amongst women, even games of thrones' viewers are 40-45% female. And those are two universes that can be very unpleasant. I think the lesson is that women like good television, they don't need to be coddled.

How is Supergirl coddling women? Seriously. It's escapist fare. It's popcorn fun. If some general lessons get snuck in, no harm.

I am 49, have read comics since I was 13 and have watched and enjoyed both of the other shows you cite, yet? I am beyond excited for Kara effing Danvers because? Women comics fans never get the female heroes we want or need. The prime exception being Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman. (I am talking TV.) Network TV hasn't had a  good adaptation of a female-led comic in 40 years.  There are cartoon and male-led series and movies, but a live action, primetime, network TV spot? Four decades.  Plus? She is supposed to be a sunny personality. I like some grimdark, but every hero film or show feels grimdark. (The Flash is lighter, but has had some really emotionally heavy stuff going on lately.) 

As for fictional worlds not being pleasant: real life isn't a walk in the park for all of us, so I don't understand that either. 

• Love 2

The Flash is lighter, but has had some really emotionally heavy stuff going on lately.)

Heh -- especially since TPTB learned Grant Gustin can tear up at the drop of a hat.

Yeah, after WW, the only other live-action comic superheroine shows I could think of were Birds of Prey and Witchblade. And I think there was something that aired on Syfy/SciFi some years ago, but I wasn't something I watched. Okay looked it up: Painkiller Jane. And those are only in the last 15 years; if anyone can find anything from the 80's or 90's, I'd love to know.

• Love 1

The way I see it, if Kara is supremely confident around guys and has essentially first pick of boyfriends, and she's got an awesome career nailed down, and she has Kryptonian superpowers and and knows how to use them effectively..... what would be left to root for?  She'd essentially be an invulnerable flying douchebag.  So she has ducked using her powers and doesn't really have a head for strategy and tactics yet (where's Oliver when you need him?)  She's nervous around guys she thinks are cute; given that she didn't go through her childhood on Earth she may not trust her instincts the way we would, and "awkward around the opposite sex" certainly isn't uncommon regardless.  And "I wanted to make a difference and instead I'm making coffee" is, as her sister said in the preview, pretty normal as well for people in their mid-20s.  But she's not portrayed as stupid, or so goofy around James that she is unable to function (at least after the first meeting), or as a wallflower or incompetent... she may not be a younger version of Cat Grant, but the show isn't (IMHO) insulting or patronizing or demeaning her either.

• Love 4

Trini, thank you for reminding me about BoP!  It wasn't perfect, but it was live action on a network. By "network TV" I meant the big ones- ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, NBC, UPN, WB.

The other two shows were of a more gritty type of comic, whereas Supergirl is meant to be, I believe, generally lighter and hopeful/ optimistic. We can have both types of shows. Hearing about how the pushback of a female hero doing things associated with being a sister and employee and friend doesn't exactly anger me any more; I'm just... baffled?

(edited)

There was no need to go in a cliche rom-com direction and alienating a big chuck of the audience.

I'm going to dare to speak a dirty little secret that's not such a secret.  I LIKE Rom Coms and so do LOTS of people.  Quality varies for Rom Coms as much as is does for thrillers or drama or action flicks (Transformers 2-4 anyone?)  There is nothing intrinsically wrong with lightly comedic movies with a romantic undertone. 

I liked that the opening of the Supergirl trailer depicted what could have been a generic opening and instead flipped all the expectations around and she catches and safely lands a fricken' airplane! 

The trailer also dealt with disappointments and failed expectations and identity and family and doing what is needed not just what's wanted.  As the show progresses I fully expect exploration of some tough issues, the writers Berlanti hires don't shy away from those sorts of storylines but I don't need everything to be raw and gritty.  I have other shows for that.

Right now when it comes to the comic TV genre, except for the now canceled Constantine, I'm watching (and even enjoying) all the shows.  Arrow, SHEILD, Flash, Gotham.  All different shows but ones that all speak to me for different reasons.  I'm absolutely on board for LoT and Supergirl

AND I'll probably check out My Crazy ExGirlfriend.  It maybe be crap, but that's when I'll judge it, based on quality, not because it falls into a long time popular genre that is associated with women.  So what?  I am a woman.  As long as it's good, feel free to "pander" to my tastes.  They've been doing it for men since they invented the media. 

I think more and more people are relying on generous DVR recording capability and or the internet to catch shows that in the past might be conflicts.  I like both DWTS and Gotham and don't plan to drop either. 

CBS might run into trouble for it's overnight ratings but really at this point I think all shows are running into issues with the Neilsen ratings system. 

Yeah, after WW, the only other live-action comic superheroine shows I could think of were Birds of Prey and Witchblade.

The one that comes closest IMO to the comic book heroine feel was not a comic character at all but I'd say Xena-Warrior Princess had the kick-ass but sometimes over the top vibe down. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 7

I like this photo... a hero who isn't afraid to get dirty!

melissa-benoist.jpg?w=700

But now I'm back to wondering if she's wearing skorts after all.

Indeed, that looks a LOT like a skort to me (why else have the front flap apparently completely detached from the sides?). If so, I will proudly say "Called It!"

It's curious that the OP thinks that Hollywood doesn't test this stuff with actual women. Also, it's curious that the OP thinks women can't like things like Supergirl while The Flash  and Arrow isn't "insulting" to their supposed demos.

How is Supergirl coddling women? Seriously. It's escapist fare. It's popcorn fun. If some general lessons get snuck in, no harm.

I am 49, have read comics since I was 13 and have watched and enjoyed both of the other shows you cite, yet? I am beyond excited for Kara effing Danvers because? Women comics fans never get the female heroes we want or need. The prime exception being Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman. (I am talking TV.) Network TV hasn't had a  good adaptation of a female-led comic in 40 years.  There are cartoon and male-led series and movies, but a live action, primetime, network TV spot? Four decades.  Plus? She is supposed to be a sunny personality. I like some grimdark, but every hero film or show feels grimdark. (The Flash is lighter, but has had some really emotionally heavy stuff going on lately.) 

As for fictional worlds not being pleasant: real life isn't a walk in the park for all of us, so I don't understand that either. 

I couldn't get into either The Flash or Arrow actually. You shouldn't make assumptions about people you don't know.

There's a difference between a show that's upbeat and light-hearted and a show that's corny and poorly scripted. If this show turns out to be the corny and poorly made fare, which in my opinion it will, it will end up being cancelled. Nothing about that is a victory, quite the opposite, it will make potential producers more reluctant than ever to create TV shows or films based on female superheroes. Naturally I could be wrong and the show becomes a huge success, only time will tell.

There's a difference between a show that's upbeat and light-hearted and a show that's corny and poorly scripted. If this show turns out to be the corny and poorly made fare, which in my opinion it will, it will end up being cancelled. Nothing about that is a victory, quite the opposite, it will make potential producers more reluctant than ever to create TV shows or films based on female superheroes. Naturally I could be wrong and the show becomes a huge success, only time will tell.

Without spoiling the actual leaked pilot, I'll at least say that in my opinion, while there was some very clunky truth-bombing dialogue, overall the majority of it wasn't inexcusably corny.

(edited)

I know there are a LOT of people debating the purposely leaked the pilot idea--saying "why would they ever do that?"

Putting aside the Tweetstorm of hate they got via Twitter on the "First Look" trailer, and blogs hating on it, and then following soon enough, even some mainstream media, consider even this--the thumbs up and downs on the official Youtube copy of the First Look:

ORL6yiY.jpg

See those 30K thumbs downs?  I know some might conclude "oh, twice as many people liked it!"  but that's not usually how Thumbs up/down works on YouTube. Other than obvious nutter/hatespeech stuff, or something on an often hated celeb like Justin Beiber, usually the thumbs up still beat the thumbs down 20 to 1 or (far) more.   Seeing them only "winning" by less than 3x is probably pretty frightening to someone marketing something.

Also, I just played the video back and noticed something that freaked me out, because I didn't think YouTube allowed it (without totally resetting the stats, including the date) on something.  Watch the trailer back again.  When you get to around the 5:30 mark is where the trailer FORMERLY had the apparently massively unpopular "Fight Song", which was largely interpreted by male geekdom as "chick flickish".  Now that music is gone and replaced with a totally different song.  Like magic.  But the date on the video and the stats seem unchanged.

So again, something they did to battle the sweeping fan attack on the "chick flickishness"--they somehow got Youtube to allow them to change the video out from underneath that.

a copy of the ORIGINAL VERSION: https://youtu.be/IOAMGpRilnI

"FIXED" VERSION on the CBS channel, at the same location the original used to be, with inherited stats from before they changed the music: https://youtu.be/Lm46-envrHo

I even revisited some news stories that had the video embedded in it back on Day 1 and they prove it's the same location, just with the video changed out under it--because several of them even talk about the old music by name and yet have the version with the new music embedded.

I don't know if they did this before or after leaking the pilot (IF they did that, I mean), but the fact that they DID go back and sneakily change the "First Look" definitely tells me how worried they were.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

They must have just done that, as I rewatched it a few days ago and "Fight Song" (which I actually like) was still there.  Bizarre.

Also: the pilot has been officially given out to the press for screening and review (which makes me wonder if the leak came from the duplication facility).  Please continue to keep any spoiler discussion in the "Leaked Pilot" thread, but it's OK to post links to reviews here.

Yeah, and clearly however weird it is that they were allowed to change it, apparently they weren't allowed to change the accompanying video (maybe the length of the video can't change?), because the new music not only sucks ass MUCH worse than Fight Song ever did, but it's not even played consistently.  They did some kind of audio meatball surgery where they bounce between this new song, then have some generic tinkly piano in other places where the middle section of Fight Song fit perfectly but the new song probably didn't, then an even weirder (audio edited) ending, where the music/sound is just kind of generic (lame sounding) wooshing.

All to get rid of the song the whole last third of the video was built around.

Well, most of us had similar reactions when this show was originally pitched - is this going to be a success on CBS of all networks? And if we had concerns, I can only imagine what some CBS executives might be thinking.

It irritates me that they would bother trying to appease a viewership that is never going to like the show unless it strips away what makes it different from the current fare offered.  TPTB can't think that they can have both new viewers that normally don't watch genre shows AND the hardcore fanboys.  I don't know if fanboys is entirely fair to say but at least a segment that expects all genre shows to have a certain level of grit. 

The ones open to a different style will watch and the ones mortally insulted by a show not specifically targeted to all their comfort zone won't.    I think the desperation to retain eyeballs that likely will never do anything but pick the show apart if they do stick around seems like a wrong move to me.  I'd want them to work harder at reaching out to the targeted audience that wouldn't realize automatically this is a show they should take a look at. 

• Love 1

Now that I think about it, I wonder if the decision to pull the song was driven not by marketing concerns, but by something in rights clearance getting fouled up.  This is pure speculation on my part, but maybe the song was used based on the video being shown just at the upfronts, and someone neglected to secure the rights to release it?

I also think the concern about breaking the show on CBS may be overstated.  The Eye isn't like the CW with just 10 hours of narrowcasting a week to use for exposure; while much of their primetime schedule may skew older, they also have Big Brother and 2 months of the NFL they can use for promoting Supergirl and anything else they want people to find out about.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if the decision to pull the song was driven not by marketing concerns, but by something in rights clearance getting fouled up.  This is pure speculation on my part, but maybe the song was used based on the video being shown just at the upfronts, and someone neglected to secure the rights to release it?

CBS is a gigantic media conglomerate, with gigantic armies of lawyers specifically dedicated to intellectual property, and decades of setting up procedures to enforce and check the material they use.

Warner Brothers television is another gigantic media conglomerate with hordes of dedicated full time intellectual property and licensing lawyers, again with decades of setting up procedures to enforce and check the material they use.

Is it possible an oversight in the rights?  Sure, but unlikely due to how experienced these two companies are at this.  And wouldn't it be a huge coincidence that the SPECIFIC thing that turned off so many people conveniently is the thing that disappeared?  

Maybe they only had licensing up to so many clicks?  Or maybe they never meant to use the song in the pilot and wanted to put a little distance between the preview and the end result so memories would fade a bit when expectations of the song weren't met.

It will be interesting when advertising reaches the station how they market the show. 

All I gotta say is that "Fight Song" is what really won me over with the teaser.

It just sung out "We're NOT another too darkly filmed (Agents of SHIELD) angst fest (Arrow and to a lesser extent Flash) that so many other genre shows are these days... we're LIGHT and FUN and something you can watch with your eight year old niece!"

• Love 1
(edited)

Geoff Johns on Supergirl criticism:

“Everyone deserves to have a reaction, but at the end of the day, I believe in the pilot, I believe in the show. When people see the pilot, they’re going to be blown away,” Johns said. ...

“I think the greatest thing about the Supergirl show we’re working on and the thing I’m most proud of is it embodies the character and the Superman mythology in a really strong, accessible way that I think carries at least the tone and spirit with what we’ve done with The Flash. And Melissa Benoist is an amazing Supergirl and Kara Danvers. I’m just excited for people to see it.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2

Someone chases down the source for that poster.  They saw the same thing I did: all the copies of it had the SpoilerTV logo.

I like the joke there about "Fight Song". But oddly enough for a piece about conspiracies and such it doesn't mention "Fight Song" somehow magically being edited out of the trailer weeks after release.  I think I'll register there and let them know about that!