Type keyword(s) to search

Super(girl) Media

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

A lot of commenters picked up on this Instagram post by Melissa as her coy "wedding announcement" (note the rings), and interpreted her and Blake's recent trip to Italy as their honeymoon.  I'd say that puts Blake up there as one of the luckiest reality show winners ever (he got the role in Glee by winning The Glee Project).

That trailer was fantastic. Count me in and this looks like it's going to be a perfect vehicle for Melissa Benoist. She was kind of wasted on Glee but she definitely won't be here.

Tonally, it's similar to The Flash, which is another plus point as well.

• Love 2

So the trailer confirms that Dean Cain and Helen Slater are playing Kara's adoptive parents, to whom she's handed over by a (grown) Superman who rescues her from her spaceship/pod.  The kid Kara is adorable too.

I wonder how much of a role the two sets of parents will have (the biological ones in flashback, presumably).  I must admit to being fairly ignorant of Supergirl's backstory.

• Love 1

A second promo and a BTS video are here!

Re: Supergirl's backstory (well-known comics spoilers):

In the original version from the early 60's, Argo City was ejected from the explosion of Krypton largely intact, and managed to retain atmosphere for some period of time.  Eventually, though, it started to turn into Kryptonite, so Kara's parents sent young teenaged her to her cousin on Earth.  That version of Kara grew into a strong, beautiful woman (rocking 80's waves and a headband) who died at the hands of the Anti-Monitor during Crisis on Infinite Earths.

In more recent versions that I'm aware of, she was actually sent from Krypton at the same time as Kal-El, effectively to watch over him since he was an infant.  Something science-fictiony happened en route and she didn't actually arrive on Earth until Kal was not only full-grown but active as Superman.  That appears to be close to what they're using here.

• Love 1
(edited)

Sorry for offtopic, but am I the only one who constantly reads Anti-Monitor as Ant-Monitor? I've no idea who this is, but every time I encounter a mention of this character in comic book-related media, I'm distracted.

I like the 2nd trailer better, it doesn't drag and has a bigger wow-factor.

Edited by FurryFury

So, Supergirl meets The Devil Wears Prada. The promo is very cute and earnest, in a Disney Channel sort of way.

It looks targeted for tweens... which would be nice for them to have a upbeat hero who isn't mired in angst. 

I think there are two Suspension of Disbelief issues needed for Supergirl :

A) That Superman,  knowing how lonely it was to grow up as the only known survivor of a planet a billion light years away, would be callous enough to abandon Kara to grow up on her own.  

B) That people can easily disguise themselves with pair of glasses and a change of clothes and hairstyle. It must be a sweet life for bank robbers in that world. 

• Love 1

I don't think (a) is the case.  My hunch - and that's all it is at this point - is that he might have been involved in her life as she matured, but he wasn't really in a position to parent her full-time so he left her with the Danvers family and kept in touch.  Plus, she wanted to live as a normal human, and having Superman dropping by to visit you would probably be the exact opposite of inconspicuous.

What I really hope to see is her up on that heliport roof, conversing with her cousin; seeing as they both have super-hearing, he could still be in Metropolis and they could talk.  We'd just see her end of the conversation.

• Love 1

B) That people can easily disguise themselves with pair of glasses and a change of clothes and hairstyle. It must be a sweet life for bank robbers in that world. 

This is part of the suspension of disbelief that's inherent to a universe that includes people like Supreman and Supergirl. That said, I don't really have trouble believing it. For one thing, Melissa really sells the goof, dorky Kara personality. Her face even looks different in her civilian persona compared to when she's suited up, and it's not just because of the glasses.

Secondly, it may be that in this show, people don't even know that Supergirl has a secret identity. In that case, Kara the mousy assistant is simply someone who looks kinda like Supergirl just like there are random ordinary people walking around right now who look like Tom Cruise.

• Love 1

Ironically enough, just a few weeks ago I saw a young woman in a bus station here in Maine who I thought was a dead ringer for Melissa Benoist.  If I hadn't been caught up in my own situation at the time, i might have asked if it were her as ludicrous as the possibility might seem.

I don't usually comment on body types/looks but Calista looks shockingly skinny. Its really uncomfortable to watch.

She's always looked exactly like that though.  If there ever was any validity to the "it's just the person's physiology" (vs. the whole "eat a sandwich" school of thought) then I'd buy it with her, because it's so consistent with her.

What's actually undeniably scary are her frosted eyebrows.  That's not nature no matter what!

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't think (a) is the case.  My hunch - and that's all it is at this point - is that he might have been involved in her life as she matured, but he wasn't really in a position to parent her full-time so he left her with the Danvers family and kept in touch.  Plus, she wanted to live as a normal human, and having Superman dropping by to visit you would probably be the exact opposite of inconspicuous.

I return to my argument (stated elsewhere) that her initial crash landing on Earth was unknown by Superman, but that he was made aware of it somehow later, after she'd been adopted. That's why he opted to leave her there, in place. I mean unless someone's seen something in that trailer I missed that definitely shows some version of Superman or Clark appearing handing her over. If not? I kinda doubt it.

Remember, the general story in most current versions is that she's OLDER than him chronologically. He wouldn't have known she even existed, unless one of his parents maybe left a message about her on one of the message crystals they (again in most versions) left for him. Her ship is delayed, she stays in stasis (or is time dilated) so that she's now younger than him, and that's how we get the current situation--a twenty something Superman uncovering a 13 or 14 year old cousin (assuming she'd been on Earth for a few years before he found her) and yes, being totally unprepared to raise her (and maybe the Kents are dead, or too old, by that point as well). Or maybe it's a few years later, when she was in her late teens (that's actually the age she is in most versions when he discovers her, but in those she usually becomes Supergirl fairly quickly afterwards--or already is Supergirl and that's what draws his attention to her).

BTW: It WOULD be interesting if Argo City still existed, but I doubt that's the version of her story they'd go with.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Watching the trailer it also reminds me of "The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" that Tina Fey produced show on Netflix. Not just because of the vibe of the first half but also Melissa Benoist's resemblance to Erin Hannon.

I freeze-framed the trailer and it definitely looks like Superman's arms both reaching for the pod and the one leading her to her foster family. At work for a few hours so can't do stills until I get home.

(edited)

Edit: Didn't see MarkHB's and pootlus' posts before I posted.

But, I'll leave this part...

There's a blink-or-you'll-miss-it sequence* from 0:27 to 0:29 of the original trailer, that does look to show a hand-off to the Danvers. You'll either have to watch that section at 0.25 speed on YouTube's website, or play the trailer in VLC, which will allow frame-by-frame advancing and custom speed playback, among other advanced options. (instructions for playing YouTube videos with VLC, via HowToGeek.com)

*The sequence is a series of quick shots that are each just a few frames or one-tenth of a second long.

Edit #2: A couple other trailer analysis articles: MoviePilot and Den of Geek.

Edited by Just Here

First impression of the (6-minute) trailer:

• Wow, the CW is strong with this one. Good luck with that CBS. I'm serious -- I want this to succeed, but it is very different for the network.
  • So are secret identities out of style, or is this a Berlanti thing? I was surprised so many people know from the get-go.
  • The only actor I feel is miscast is Flockhart as Cat Grant. I can't say who I would cast, but I'm sure there's someone who would have made stronger impression.
  • I'm going take the 'trying on different costumes' scene as a shout-out to Lois & Clark.  :-D

-------

I feel that if the show is a hit, they will totally find a way to work in a crossover or at least a reference to the other shows.

• Love 2

•The only actor I feel is miscast is Flockhart as Cat Grant. I can't say who I would cast, but I'm sure there's someone who would have made stronger impression.

While I'm not sure how I feel about Ms. Flockhart, I am a little disappointed Tracey Scroggins wasn't tapped for the role. She probably still looks fab to boot!

I want this to succeed, but it is very different for the network.

I agree with both points. I think, just on the trailer, that this might actually tap into that ' whole family can watch' vibe, so here's hoping. *g*

• Love 2

re: Ms. Scoggins (no "r"):

I think that it's one thing to invite back alumni from other shows in new roles.  But inviting them back into the SAME role is problematic.  It's just a recipe for confusion.

• Love 1
So are secret identities out of style, or is this a Berlanti thing? I was surprised so many people know from the get-go.

Yes, not only Berlanti but his frequent co-writers Kreisberg and Guggenheim have been on record stating they dislike this aspect of the genre. I'm with them, personally. This trope has been played out to death and it's hard to create a fresh perspective on it.

The only actor I feel is miscast is Flockhart as Cat Grant. I can't say who I would cast, but I'm sure there's someone who would have made stronger impression.

Same, although we really didn't see much of younger males for me to form an impression. But Flockhard's line readings were just awful.

When I saw the initial character description for Cat Grant, which says "J.Lo by way of Anna Wintour," the first actress who came to mind was Eva Longoria. But, she's apparently tied to a multi-year, multi-show development deal with NBC.

re: Ms. Scoggins (no "r"):

I think that it's one thing to invite back alumni from other shows in new roles.  But inviting them back into the SAME role is problematic.  It's just a recipe for confusion.

I do have to give props to The Flash for the way they've handled that, though.  I was a fan of the old show, and it's been impressive.

• Love 1

Heh, Dean Cain as Supergirl's adopted father.

And her adoptive mother is Helen Slater, who herself played Supergirl in the 1984 movie.  So now they just need to get Laura Vandervoort on board for a guest spot and they'll have a Supergirl hat trick.

• Love 3

At first, I truly thought the trailer was a joke, an extension of the SNL parody sketch with ScarJo.  I was super surprised when I started reading online that this is CBS's actual trailer for the show.  Boy, someone screwed up.  

I knew I would watch this show but only because I'm watching almost all of the other comic book stuff so adding one more seemed natural.  Now that I've checked out some of the fan edited trailers, the ones that remove the ridiculous romcom vibe, I think I'm almost excitedly on board.  

Holy crap, this definitely intrigued me. This is one of the more diverse shows out there.  Two women in the lead, female boss, black love interest, black main villain.  Despite the romcom feel of the trailer, there's not even a hint of romance in it. Which is a plus. Please avoid the hunky newcomer vs the dorky bff thing that the trailer appears to be going for. Minor complaint, I'd prefer a more dramatic trailer. I'm all for the dorky hero turning into a superhero but the tone seems off given what the trailer is trying to tell us.

Also thanks CBS for putting the kibosh on crossovers.

Den of Geek:  Supergirl: a few thoughts on the trailer criticism -- Provides rebuttals for these five arguments:

Every single thing they say in that article is right.  I mean I support the right of people to criticize, but I've seen a lot of tweets and messages (most not on this board) that really seem to be based from some point of view that if it isn't some overt macho interpretation, it's some kind of "chick flick"/rom-com-ization (and also that that's a horrible wrong thing even if it WERE so).  I read a long rant on one board saying rather nonsensically (it doesn't make much sense to me) that it was "Ugly Betty bullshit".  I mean Ugly Betty?  Huh?  Maybe I'd buy "The Devil Wears Prada" but UGLY BETTY?

Geez, I'd like to say to those folks... okay, watch or don't watch--it's your choice.  But at least make sure the criticisms at least make SENSE!

• Love 4

I think I realize why the trailer is rom com despite having little to no romance in the trailer. Maybe you can chalk some of it to misogyny/male chauvinism. But there's also that shite music.  It pretty much overpowers what they're going for.

(edited)

I think I realize why the trailer is rom com despite having little to no romance in the trailer. Maybe you can chalk some of it to misogyny/male chauvinism. But there's also that shite music.  It pretty much overpowers what they're going for.

I guess guys worldwide are feeling their dicks shrinking back into their bodies in horror of turning gay or something, when they play the Supergirl trailer and hear this song at the end:

If I had to guess, this song no longer has ANY chance of being used as an actual credits song for the show.

They'll find some generic (probably even MORE lame) instrumental instead.

Putting aside any musical quality judgments, you can kind of tell from the lyrics why they considered this.  It mentions stuff like fighting, powers, etc.  They focused on that.

Earlier in the trailer there's also that silly Oh Oh Oh Oh song.  That's definitely pretty shitty, although I don't know if I'd really describe it as a Rom Com song.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I would say those are more indicative of the lyrics of a feminist song which fits with what Supergirl represents. That being said, maybe it's just a hangup with me but that beat screams rom com.  I still don't get the complaints when they're tailoring this show to women. The normally small and skinny Olsen is now a model, and her sister, not Olsen is the other star, hell even her boss is a woman.  And supergirl herself comes off as more put together then Barry Allen with enough quirkiness  and a unique enough origin story to distinguish herself as a standout character. I really don't know what people want.  

I guess they want her to be a leather sporting bad cliché spouting bad ass female?

I doubt very much that they were going to use "Fight Song" in the actual show anyway; the "buy this song now" credit at the end of shows seems to have seen its last days.  I have no idea what "the people" want of Supergirl, unless it's to keep wearing that first outfit that Win put together for her.

(edited)

I doubt very much that they were going to use "Fight Song" in the actual show anyway; the "buy this song now" credit at the end of shows seems to have seen its last days.  I have no idea what "the people" want of Supergirl, unless it's to keep wearing that first outfit that Win put together for her.

Shows on MTV, The CW, VH1 and ABC Family all still seem to use that model in terms of music.  CBS never really has, but this IS a pseudo-CW show, isn't it?

Heh.  In fact, I think I twigged to why they used Fight Song (aside from the obvious lyrics).  The promo graphic on the artist's YouTube channel mentions "As Heard on Pretty Little Liars".  Which explains not only how the production crew heard of it, but also the outright horror some of the Internet has expressed at the trailer. Having Pretty Little Liars music shoved in their faces is probably like a nightmare to comic book nerd central.  I'm sure that annoying Oh Oh Oh song has been used some in some chick-heavy show somewhere too.

You are right this may have never actually been slated to be a theme song, but overall the whole thing reminds me of the debacle with Enterprise and that saccharine soft rock "Faith Of The Heart" song.  That song truly stank, it's undeniable, but beyond that people were also offended just at the mere idea of it.  

Edited by Kromm
(edited)

I'm not young (Though still in the 18-49 demo) but I am female and I think Supergirl looks delightful. I think having a Superhero show aimed at getting women interested in that genre is cool with me.

I know CBS needs the boys to watch but whatever. I wasn't really interested in the show until the trailer. Though I need the show to be successful because I want more women led genre shows. I like the energy of the trailers. I like the lead and the sister.

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 2

I guess they want her to be a leather sporting bad cliché spouting bad ass female?

I find it rather mysogynistic when people try to shove women into a one-size fits all box where if she's not conforming precisely to their preferred stereotype (and leather-clad badass waif-fu is definitely such a monster) then the female character is automatically weak or deserves to be shunned as not "feminist."

No one tries to argue that Spider-Man is less of a man because he's a poor struggling teenager instead of the male ideal of a wealthy powerful ladies man like Bruce Wayne. Nor do think him less of a man because his heroic identity is one where he cracks jokes in the middle of a fight while decked out in a brightly colored costume instead of some menacing grimdark avenger of the night who wears more black than Johnny Cash.

Kara is no more Black Widow than Spider-Man is Batman... feminintity is a broad range of character traits that both Kara and Black Widow can comfortably occupy. I mean, wasn't the whole point of feminism not that all women now have to abandon everything they were before, but that a woman could be whoever SHE wants to be? If a woman wants to act just like a man that's fine. If she wants to do more traditionally feminine things that's fine too. Either way its her choice.

Frankly, unlike Black Widow (whose only 'power' is her intense training), Kara doesn't need to act like a man because she's not even in a competition with them. She's thousands of times stronger, faster (mentally and physically) and tougher than any man without even trying. Heck, she could probably demolish every villain Arrow and Flash have ever gone up again at the same time without much effort...

Even Hank Henshaw isn't disputing letting Kara help on the grounds of her capability or gender... he just doesn't trust aliens, something would apply just as much to cousin when he was just coming onto the scene (and for all we know it still might... Superman has a history of doing what he thinks is right even if it ticks off government organizations).

• Love 2

Omg what a moron. I nearly switched off when he used the word 'females', the word is women, or women and girls. Also aiming at women and aiming at Gossip Girl fans are not the same thing. And it is aimed at men, just men who are not complete morons.

I think I lost several IQ points watching that video. Honestly men like that are why people make fun of comic book fans.

And did they have to keep referring to it not being aimed at them like it was a bad thing.

Also could they have come up with more reasons they didn't like Jimmy Olsen, which honestly aren't because he's black.

(edited)

I think a lot of men, especially comic book fans, have become used to the genre "belonging" to them so much they automatically expect for any adaptation to cater to them. Let's be honest, comic books (sorry, I may be mistaken because I've never actually read them - but I do follow a lot of media that talk about them and have a pretty clear picture in my head) seem to be rather sexist. Offensive clothing and overall sexualization, constant fridging of female characters, the prevalence of male heroes over female all seem to be facts in this industry. It's pretty natural (sadly) that some people who are used to it want to get the same on screen. And judging by The Flash, which feels like it came from the 50s or some other era of old, their opinion matters for the writers as well (The Flash has 2 female regulars to 6 male, one of the women is defined by being a love interest/adopted sister to the lead and has been constantly lied to throughout the season - she was the only one person in the main cast who was never told about his secret identity, while the other has the classic female role of "the medic" and her primary arc has to do with her fiancé, who also has superpowers. There is only two female villains in the roster compared to like 10 guys, one of the them is motivated by her love for her villainous boyfriend and the other doesn't seem to have any goals of her own and just helps her brother reach his - she also uses her sex appeal a lot, no male villain has to do it). Arrow is mostly better, but is guilty of setting up awesome proactive female characters (Shado, Moira, Sara) and then unceremoniously killing them off (although only one of them was expressly killed to motivate a guy - I have said Arrow's better, after all). Marvel is continuously avoiding making the Black Widow movie and has only now agreed to do a single installment starring a female hero. Batman vs Superman seems to only have one female hero and 5 (if I'm not mistaken) male ones as the potential Justice League. In this climate, should we really be surprised at the reaction to the Supergirl show? Companies that adapt comic books have continuously shown us that they only care about young males. I'm just afraid that other people who could be potentially interested are too used to this to check this show out. 

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 2

The kind of hullabaloo and nerd rage over this is exactly why there's been fear and hesitance to even develop female character projects.

To be clear, they're okay with the occasional Sara Lance like character popping up, but only because she in many ways follows those traditional rules (that if you the fans can't quite outright fantasize about fucking them, then they're sexy lesbians you can watch making out with other women).

• Love 1

Men like that aren't just why people make fun of comic book fans, they're the sort of toxic fanbase that's responsible for the collapse of the comic industry to the point where 50,000 readers is considered a success.

That's not even a tenth of a ratings point in television and that's presuming every last comic reader is lockstep with these guys whose myopic view of comics literally can't get past the trivial surface details (she needs to be more blonde? Really? This is your genius critique? The deal killer for you is that they used a hair tone that actually compliment's the actress' complexion instead of some horrible blonde wig? See Laurel's hideous wig for why this will always be infinitely better).

Like, my guess is the reason we've got the Jimmy Olsen we do has little to do with race (if anything) and more to do with the chemistry (in the mentor/protoge rather than romantic sense) between that actor and and the one for Kara being quite strong. God forbid we cast based on talent/chemistry and not appearance.

And just how are we supposed to take these reviewers seriously when they completely missed that Alex is Kara's SISTER?!? It's in basically the second line Kara even says to Alex and yet they go on and on about how its her friend.

Yeah, Supergirl doesn't need those guys as fans... their entire population amounts to a rounding error in the ratings. As always, its with the general audience where a good story will trump how purely it sticks to the canon of the New52 comics (remember how I said 50k is a strong comic title these days? New52 Supergirl isn't even doing that well).

• Love 3
Like, my guess is the reason we've got the Jimmy Olsen we do has little to do with race (if anything) and more to do with the chemistry (in the mentor/protoge rather than romantic sense) between that actor and and the one for Kara being quite strong.

Well, he IS going to be the main love interest. I just hope they won't force it the Flash or Arrow-s1 way. Jeez, let the show breathe.

The deal killer for you is that they used a hair tone that actually compliment's the actress' complexion instead of some horrible blonde wig? See Laurel's hideous wig for why this will always be infinitely better

Oh God, yes. I can't look at her in that wig. Why, oh why have they chosen it?

It's curious that people here seem to like this iteration. The trailer looks to be made by people who have no idea what women want. It's almost insulting that they think women have so little taste they will go for this.

The walking dead is very popular amongst women, even games of thrones' viewers are 40-45% female. And those are two universes that can be very unpleasant. I think the lesson is that women like good television, they don't need to be coddled.

It's absurd to applaud this one-dimensional, childish 24 year old character because "at least" she isn't an oversexualized, scantily dressed woman created for the purpose of titillating men. That's a false dilemma. There was a third option: making her into a strong, well-rounded, complex character. There's a slim possibility that's what she will be in the actual show but the trailer is not giving that indication.

It's absurd to applaud this one-dimensional, childish 24 year old character because "at least" she isn't an oversexualized, scantily dressed woman created for the purpose of titillating men.

There is no way to tell in a trailer how good the show will be or how complex Kara will be. But what we see is a young woman who knows she isn't normal struggling with the limits of her life and deciding to say to hell with it, breaking free, and embracing her own power. That is both interesting and inspiring to me. I hope the show's writing is good. 

Like, my guess is the reason we've got the Jimmy Olsen we do has little to do with race (if anything) and more to do with the chemistry (in the mentor/protoge rather than romantic sense) between that actor and and the one for Kara being quite strong.
And also, the actor being hella hot. :)
  • Love 5

It's curious that people here seem to like this iteration. The trailer looks to be made by people who have no idea what women want. It's almost insulting that they think women have so little taste they will go for this.

The walking dead is very popular amongst women, even games of thrones' viewers are 40-45% female. And those are two universes that can be very unpleasant. I think the lesson is that women like good television, they don't need to be coddled.

It's absurd to applaud this one-dimensional, childish 24 year old character because "at least" she isn't an oversexualized, scantily dressed woman created for the purpose of titillating men. That's a false dilemma. There was a third option: making her into a strong, well-rounded, complex character. There's a slim possibility that's what she will be in the actual show but the trailer is not giving that indication.

I respect your point of view here, but I've seen plenty of posts from posters I believe to be women who's "wants" seem to be in line with the trailer.  I have to ask myself which opinions to believe more about "what women want", since heck.. I normally simply have to guess.

• Love 1
(edited)

You do realize that TWD and GOT are both shows of a completely different genre with a different target audience and thematic? Supergirl is obviously not trying to compete with them. It will probably be a lighter, simpler fare. And there's nothing wrong with liking it over the stuff you've mentioned (for the record, I also watch GOT - although right now, I'm wishing I wasn't - and I find TWD tedious and overrated).

"Women" isn't a category this show targets. It targets young adults. Those who like comic book movies, MCU, The Flash, Arrow, etc. And it probably wants to have a bigger W18-34 demo compared to that stuff. There are enough women who like comic books and adaptations, or those who probably could be tempted to watch.

It's absurd to applaud this one-dimensional, childish 24 year old character because "at least" she isn't an oversexualized, scantily dressed woman created for the purpose of titillating men. That's a false dilemma. There was a third option: making her into a strong, well-rounded, complex character.

How the hell can you know she's not going to be a well-rounded and complex character? Have you seen the whole show already? I've no idea how it's possible to conclude that from a short trailer.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 2

And again with the "what women really want" line as if more than half the population of the globe were some uni-minded collective and not a widely diverse spectrum of beliefs and interests. Anyone in marketing who seriously presented the argument that "all men like football" would be laughed out of the industry at their incompetence... and yet some people seem to think that same line of reasoning when applied to women is valid. It boggles the mind.

Now, I have no what of knowing what's in someone else's heart, but what I read between the lines of the poster making that claim is "I like darker fare and this isn't dark so I'm going accuse anyone who doesn't like what I like what I like of being 'sexist' because that accusation somehow makes all other arguments invalid... please ignore my blatent misogyny in presuming that no women could ever hold a belief that different what the beliefs I think they should have."

By contrast let me say something much more specific. My mother, sister, niece and the vast majority my friends (male and female) LOVE the look of Supergirl and unless the writing ends up being terrible this will probably be appointment television for me and the group of friends I usually get together with on Monday nights.

My father is the only one who's not interested, but his television viewing habits consist of flipping between the Discovery/History and various classic movie channels (particularly old Westerns) so he was never going to be a viewer regardless of the show's tone.

• Love 4

Variety article about Berlanti and his shows; with photos of him, Melissa Benoist, and Grant Gustin.

Supergirl-related bits:

A comics heroine has been long overdue — even Berlanti’s nieces have been nagging him — so when DC pitched him on the concept, he was intrigued. But rather than keep the show in the vein of what had been done before, he wanted to take a proportional leap. “With what we accomplished and learned from ‘The Flash,’ ” he says, “if we could do that on an even larger scale, on a bigger network, what would that look like?”

CBS, he reports, jumped at the chance. He says entertainment prexy Nina Tassler fell in love with “Supergirl” at the pitch meeting, so much so that she started to cry. “It didn’t matter at that point what they were going to pay for it,” he says. “That’s who you want buying the show.” (Despite the rumor mill, Berlanti says there was never a chance of the show moving to the CW. Plus, he adds, “We would never have been able to afford the kind of budget we have.”)

As with “The Flash,” Berlanti has insisted “Supergirl” invest heavily in visual effects, and Johns calls the money well spent.

“When people see the pilot, they’ll be blown away by what’s accomplished on television,” says the D.C. content topper. “But Greg knows that it’s not just about spectacle. It has to be about heart; it has to be about humor.”

Casting is paramount to Berlanti: He calls the show’s star, Melissa Benoist, the “Annie Hall” of superheroes.

“The most important decision you can make as a showrunner when you’re doing a pilot is who’s in it, and who’s directing it,” he says. “If we had not found her, I would have said, ‘I don’t want to make this.’ ”