Type keyword(s) to search

Super(girl) Media

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

I imagine Holt starring in an upcoming NBC series could cause problems, contract-wise. I've no idea on Aquarius's chances of success (it sounds terrible), but I doubt NBC would be keen on her signing up for a new series on a different network before it even airs.

Aquarius is apparently a mini-series, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

The promo text specifically mentions multiple seasons. I remember because I loved how presumptous that was, and how ridiculous the entire text is:

It's 1967 and the era of free love, drug experimentation and the Vietnam War is in full effect. When the teenage daughter of a respected lawyer goes missing, LA Police Sergeant Sam Hodiak (David Duchovny, "Californication," "The X-Files") starts asking around. He soon discovers the hippie kids he's questioning don't take kindly to cops, especially one with hair as short as his. Needing the help of someone they will trust, he partners with rebellious undercover cop Brian Shafe, a man who's more comfortable rolling a joint than patrolling a beat. It's not long before they stumble upon a small-time cult leader seeking out vulnerable women to join his cause. From there, they follow this man's trail down a rabbit hole of drugs, sex, murder and cultural revolution. Little could they know, however, the guy they're hunting will eventually become the killer we now recognize as Charles Manson. He was a lost soul who desperately wanted to get into the music scene of the '60s until something snapped. This is the show that will explore the cat-and-mouse game between him and the police that will go on for several seasons, ultimately ending with the infamous Tate-LaBianca murders.

She's clearly not the main character in that, so I don't see the problem even if it does go to multiple seasons.  Various sources seem to indicate her character is fictional (remember it a dramatization surrounding the Charles Manson story), so that means you can probably do whatever you want with her.  Also, several articles say she's not even leaving that dumb Vampire show, just being used a lot less, so she's ALREADY being spread across networks.

That said, her Super-casting seems to only be rumor at this point.  Seems like Berlanti has probably got a few more months to pick someone too--I think Supergirl was approved direct to series (no pilot), so the earliest they need something would be for the network upfronts in mid-May (and even then, just some footage to show people, not necessarily a whole episode).

I think Supergirl was approved direct to series (no pilot), so the earliest they need something would be for the network upfronts in mid-May (and even then, just some footage to show people, not necessarily a whole episode).

They were given a series commitment, which I think is slightly different. They can choose not to go ahead, but they would have to pay out a lot of money.

This panel in The Hollywoord Reporter, with Arrow EP Marc Guggenheim and Agent Carter showrunners Tara Butters and Michelle Fazekas (Guggenheim and Butters are married) includes the following Supergirl-related tidbit ("Greg" meaning Greg Berlanti):

Fazekas: Marc, CBS is doing Supergirl. What is the possibility of a crossover?
Guggenheim: It's possible.
THR: I actually heard it's in Greg's deal, that Supergirl can cross over with Flash and/or Arrow.

Interesting, too, that Fazekas was the one to bring it up....

• Love 1

It helps that CBS has at least partial common ownership with The CW (and the other partner in CW is the entity that owns DC).

In other words, it's the perfect storm for an inter-network crossover.

• Love 1

More details from the TCA presentation.

A couple of tidbits:

First, since Supergirl is on CBS, you can definitely expect the show to be a crime procedural. Yet Tassler emphasized the show will have serialized elements as well. “There will be [crime] cases, but what [executive producers] Ali Adler and Greg Berlanti pitched was a real series arc for her,” she said. “The beauty of it is now with shows like Good Wife and Madam Secretary, you can have serialized story elements woven into a case of the week. She’s a crime solver, so she’s going to have to solve a crime. She’s going to get a bad guy.”

Though there’s no actress announced yet, CBS has a costume design ready to go — one that Tassler was most definitely excited about.  “We have seen the costume,” she said. “Awesome costume.” Tassler added that the costume was being made by Oscar winner Colleen Atwood, who also did the costumes for Arrow and The Flash.

This is all beginning to smack of "trying too hard" in terms of preliminary info to convince people to take this seriously (vs. as "some goofy comic book thing").  They need to step back a little and let people come to their own conclusions.

Edited by Kromm

Marley?  REALLY?

Er.  Okay.  I'll at least give her a chance I suppose.  I mean it's not like Supergirl is supposed to look buff, since her power comes from weird almost magical differences between Krypton and Earth (if Krypton was really a "heavy world" like in the original stories the people would have been all super-squatty and thick, so we have to chalk it all up to Red Sun/Yellow Sun).

How old is Benoist? I'm not familiar with her at all; except that I heard she was on Glee -- like Grant Gustin.

26, per the web.

On Glee I think she was playing 16-17, not totally believably, but better than some.  Frankly I'd have pegged her acting levels as CW level at best, and CBS presumably needs a hair better, but maybe she really aced the audition.

Here's a non-singing scene with her from Glee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMNoe_D9Wo8

Mehcad Brooks cast as Jimmy Olsen. Interesting.

On a unrelated note: I think the key to this working on CBS may be who they cast in the Cat Grant role.

I don't think this is the first time I've heard/seen the idea of a black Jimmy Olsen--I think it was brought up a lot around the time everyone was talking about Black Johnny Storm.  Hopefully its a big fat non-issue and the racist trolls stay in their caves this time.

• Love 2

I don't think this is the first time I've heard/seen the idea of a black Jimmy Olsen--I think it was brought up a lot around the time everyone was talking about Black Johnny Storm.  Hopefully its a big fat non-issue and the racist trolls stay in their caves this time.

I don't think there's been a black Jimmy before, but Smallville had a black Pete Ross and an Asian Lana Lang, and Man of Steel had a black Perry White, so it's not really anything new.

On a unrelated note: I think the key to this working on CBS may be who they cast in the Cat Grant role.

I responded to this in the Speculation thread.

ISTR liking Brooks on the one season of Desperate Housewives he was on, although it's hard to believe it's been 9 years.

I don't think there's been a black Jimmy before, but Smallville had a black Pete Ross and an Asian Lana Lang, and Man of Steel had a black Perry White, so it's not really anything new.

It may not be a new concept, but can't these people throw us purists at least one bone?  There's no need to completely ignore the comic-book canon for the sake of political correctness and "diversity."

It may not be a new concept, but can't these people throw us purists at least one bone?  There's no need to completely ignore the comic-book canon for the sake of political correctness and "diversity."

I'd like to know what form you want that bone to take though.

Jimmy Olsen is a character I'm on the fence with in terms of preserving a comic image.  He DOES have a distinctive visual appearance where you can look at the character and simply say "Hey, that's Jimmy Olsen", and we're losing that I guess.

On the other hand, I totally didn't give a shit when Perry White or Pete Ross were changed--with those characters it didn't seem to matter.  Lana Lang... I admit at the time though being annoyed, because Lana and her red hair was supposed to be the contrast to Lois and her black hair--a simple visual shorthand.  

But the important thing I think is that none of these characters is the protagonist. It might suck that we're losing the visual iconography of redhead Jimmy OIsen, or had lost redhead Lana Lang years ago, but Clark Kent is the center of that show, and if people start associating an actor's appearance to some of the supporting characters... well.. they ARE only supporting characters.

I suppose some would argue though that it was a bigger deal changing the Storms in the upcoming Fantastic Four film, since they're all equivalent starring roles.To me the problem there wasn't even a little that Johnny is black, but that Sue ISN'T.  The definable characteristic of the Storms in the comics isn't that they're blonde blue eyed Aryan looking types, it's that they look like each other.  So there the loss isn't because of a race change, but because of a half-assed one (with some lame adoption explanation--although if I recall correctly it's Sue who's the adopted one not Johnny, since the actor playing their Dad is clearly black).

• Love 1

I was going to say that I was surprised that Flockhart went for this sort of project, but then Deadline added something interesting....

Flockhart... has largely stayed away from acting since the end of ABC’s Brothers & Sisters in 2011, passing on a number of pilots. The involvement in Supergirl of Berlanti, with whom Flockhart worked on Brothers & Sisters, played a part in her decision to return to series TV. She next will be seen in the second installment of DirecTV’s anthology drama Full Circle.

(Emphasis added.)

I have to say that while I'm very iffy on this show overall based on the info I've read (I mean, Jimmy fuckin' Olsen as 

the center of a love triangle between two sisters? Seriously, writers?

, the network, the procedural format), one thing I'm liking is the abundance of female characters. This is something that's seriously pissing me off on The Flash. But I really, really don't need to see Superman. Let him be somewhere off-screen. Never cared about this character.

That's the first I've heard of what you spoiler-tagged, FurryFury.  So far as Superman goes, I'm speculating that we won't actually be seeing him any time soon.  Allusions, definitely;

the audition sides certainly make it seem like they're going with the "Kara was sent to follow baby Kal-El to Earth to watch out for him here, but science-fiction stuff happened and he was already grown by the time she arrived" origin, and the one with her and Jimmy makes it sound like she wants to use her powers to make people feel as safe in her presence as they do in her cousin's.

But we haven't seen a casting call for Superman, just this one for a photo double, which makes me think that they just want someone they can show in pictures and on TV and people can go, "hey, that's Superman!" without actually bringing him into a scene.

What I would really love is if Kara wanted to talk to Clark, for advice, etc., she just went to a secluded rooftop or something similar and had her half of the conversation, since they both have super-hearing and can hear each other between National City and Metropolis.

Also, I am loving Laura Benanti's new Twitter profile pic.

That's the first I've heard of what you spoiler-tagged, FurryFury

I think this was in the casting calls I've seen months ago. Of course, much could have changed since then, assuming they were honest in the first place. Anyway, it described

Jimmy Olsen as Kara's crush and him being interested in her adopted sister (while some other guy was crushing on Kara). Considering Greg Berlanti's history with Arrow and Oliver Queen's infamous sister swapping, I was not surprised in the least.

I wonder if Kara's boss wouldn't be Harrison Wells #2. Is she a villain in the comics, or morally ambiguous, at least?

Edited by FurryFury

I don't get why Superman needs to exist in the world of the show at all, especially if they can't actually use him. Just have Kara arrive on Earth and become Supergirl! Why does she need to be following in someone's footsteps?

Well in this case... because Jimmy Olsen, Cat Grant, etc. are all Superman characters.

If they were telling a story with a whole new set of supporting characters it would be a totally different issue.

Melissa Benoist talked briefly to CBR:

"What's so wonderful about her is that she is such a relatable character, amongst her powers," said Benoist. "What I'm the most excited about is telling a story about a human being really realizing their potential and their strength, and I think that's something that everyone will root for and want in their own lives – I'm really excited about that."

Also, Laura Benanti on being Kara's mother:

As if you didn’t have enough on your plate, you were recently cast in CBS’ Supergirl as Kara’s (Melissa Benoist) Kryptonian mother. What can you say about that project?

It’s very early on, so I wouldn’t feel comfortable saying anything other than our mere nine-year age difference will make sense. On Krypton age doesn’t necessarily matter. A lot of people on Twitter were like, “She’s too young to be her mom!” But it will all make sense once you see the show.

What I'm the most excited about is telling a story about a human being really realizing their potential and their strength

Um... But is she a human being? Isn't she an alien? :) Melissa should have probably used 'person'.

• Love 1

Very true, but I have a feeling that, as an actress, trying to become an alien can only be a trip down a rabbit hole.... what can you even base it on?  I'll also refer to this comment by the only other woman to star as a super-powered heroine on a primetime network TV series (I'm not counting Lisa on Smallville since she wasn't the lead):

"It’s almost impossible to play a superhero anyway. You can’t. You just have to play a character that happens to do these amazing things. That’s the only way you can do it."

- Lynda Carter

• Love 1

Oh, I don't doubt she'd want that. I've just pointed out the misuse of the word "human".

Overall, I expect this show to be something in the vein of Flash, only probably more procedural because of CBS. I just hope Melissa will turn out to have the same charm that Grant Gustin does. The success of the show hinges on that. I'm not a superhero fan, but I'm a big fan of action shows with female leads, and I kinda want this to succeed, despite my reservations about the supporting cast. Agent Carter's ratings worry me enough.

Oh, I don't doubt she'd want that. I've just pointed out the misuse of the word "human".

You could build an argument perhaps that "human being" and "homo sapien" are not synonyms. I mean the word "human" I believe literally refers only to the "Homo" part only. So even though an alien wouldn't even share that genus, you could use it as a kind of precedent, linguistically I mean, and turn the phase around just to mean "intelligent being".

For example, I think it's already accepted in some circles that a Neanderthal, for example, would be a human. Our closest relative sure, but if you see it more as a stepping stone for a linguistic decision than a genetic thing, it's still a precedent.

More casting news: Chyler Leigh will be Alex (Kara's foster sister) and David Harewood will be Hank Henshaw.  Harewood, in fact, seems to have done his research regarding the comics history of his character.

Also: the link they found over in the Arrow forum points out that Andrew Kreisberg has also signed on as a writer/executive producer.  That link also gives a little more background to these two characters, including a particular profession for Alex that I hadn't seen mentioned before.

I don't get why Superman needs to exist in the world of the show at all, especially if they can't actually use him. Just have Kara arrive on Earth and become Supergirl! Why does she need to be following in someone's footsteps?

Because that's always been part of her mythology.  She is his cousin, and he was her first contact on Earth.  In fact, the reason she was specifically sent to Earth in the first place was that she and her mother Alura knew that he was a fellow Kryptonian (even though at the time, they didn't know he was related to them).

Because that's always been part of her mythology.  She is his cousin, and he was her first contact on Earth.  In fact, the reason she was specifically sent to Earth in the first place was that she and her mother Alura knew that he was a fellow Kryptonian (even though at the time, they didn't know he was related to them).

But it's not like they're not changing almost everything else, and there's been plenty of different versions of the character's origins over the decades.

See, I want Gotham to get in on the comic book actor action.

We could have a flashback with Gary Oldman playing Jim's father.  That seems like the most readily-doable idea to me.

Is there anybody here who thinks they're not playing Kara's human parents?

I suppose it depends on how large the part of her human parents will be. 

From the casting sides, we saw roles for Zor-El, Alura (her mother's name in the side) and Mrs. Danvers; just going by those, and knowing that Laura Benanti will be Alura, Dean Cain could be Zor-El and Helen Slater could be Mrs. Danvers.  That's my guess.

Cat Grant in this role doesn't bother me; she's been bounced around quite a bit in the comics, and I can't even find anything online related to her being in the New 52.  Jimmy -- excuse me, James -- Olsen I'll try to discuss in the spoiler thread sometime this weekend.