Type keyword(s) to search

Super(girl) Media

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

Spoiler

Seems to imply Lena might not remember Crisis. It's a bit confusing. I'm pretty sure the exchange between Alex and Kara and footage of Nia clapping for Lex near the beginning is from the Legends crisis episode. Alex and Nia should remember the old timeline now, especially since they were part of the anti-monitor fight. 

Edited by Oreo2234

Now that the Crisis has passed, I think the memories work much like they did in the comics:

• Those who were at the Battle at the Dawn of Time remember things the way we saw them unfold (in the comics, that was literally all of DC's surviving heroes), from Earth-1 to the Vanishing Point to the Dawn of Time to waking up on Earth-Prime, just like we go from one day to the next.
  • The general population remembers the singular timeline of Earth-Prime, in which the Crisis wasn't much of anything but maybe the skies turning red for a bit. That's the world they're living in now.
  • This part is different from the comics: the heroes who didn't go to the Dawn of Time had their memories restored by J'onn, so that they now have both timelines in their heads. That was part of what drive the Psycho Pirate insane in the comics, but I strongly doubt the shows will go there.
6 hours ago, MarkHB said:

Now that the Crisis has passed, I think the memories work much like they did in the comics:

• Those who were at the Battle at the Dawn of Time remember things the way we saw them unfold (in the comics, that was literally all of DC's surviving heroes), from Earth-1 to the Vanishing Point to the Dawn of Time to waking up on Earth-Prime, just like we go from one day to the next.
  • The general population remembers the singular timeline of Earth-Prime, in which the Crisis wasn't much of anything but maybe the skies turning red for a bit. That's the world they're living in now.
  • This part is different from the comics: the heroes who didn't go to the Dawn of Time had their memories restored by J'onn, so that they now have both timelines in their heads. That was part of what drive the Psycho Pirate insane in the comics, but I strongly doubt the shows will go there.

I don't know that J'onn could restore their own memories, he could download his own memories and maybe the memories of the other paragons to give them a sort of primer on what changed. Of course Clark didn't remember having 2 kids even though he wasn't a paragon, so maybe we're supposed to take it that J'onn did a complete wipe and replace, but that seems pretty severe. 

16 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

I don't know that J'onn could restore their own memories, he could download his own memories and maybe the memories of the other paragons to give them a sort of primer on what changed. Of course Clark didn't remember having 2 kids even though he wasn't a paragon, so maybe we're supposed to take it that J'onn did a complete wipe and replace, but that seems pretty severe. 

I think if we try to put together a consistent picture of what happened and align it with what happens on all the shows, we'll wind up somewhere between horribly frustrated and stark raving bonkers. The only memory I'm sure J'onn didn't restore was that Alex was going to search for her father.

• LOL 1

A lot of quotes from the producers about the COIE changes to the show here: 'How The Flash, Supergirl & the Arrowverse Were Forever Changed by Crisis on Infinite Earths'

"What was different this year is that it's the first time the crossover really informed the fabric of the storytelling for the second half of the year," Queller said. "It's not so much that we refer to the other heroes, the other cities that often, but it's the first time that the crossover really substantively changed the lives of our main characters in our show."

"We do reference them more than we have in the past, and we have a very fun nod to them in our second episode back," Rovner added.

Supergirl is taking these first few episodes back to "settle in with Earth-Prime, but then after its 100th episode airs in a few weeks, things will be sort of back to normal, or "back on the train" as Queller says, for a back half of the season featuring returns, guests, twists, ....

'Supergirl director David Harewood breaks down Jeremy Jordan's return'

“I’ve always respected Jeremy and respected his work, I’ve always respected his talent and his humor and how hard he works, so I knew he was going to really come out the gates,” Harewood tells EW. “And because he was playing two roles, I wanted to make sure there was a distinct difference between the two of them. Speaking to each other a whole month before shooting, we were constantly in contact about it.”

For Harewood, this wasn’t his first time directing an episode of Supergirl: He loved it so much when he did it for the first time last season that he knew he had to get behind the camera again. “I just love it. I love the crew, I love how collaborative it is. I love being able to sculpt the performances and really bring it to life taking it off the page and realizing the different aspects of the scripts,” he says. “I will be directing again this season, so hopefully with every episode I learn a bit more and be able to advance my skills.”

From the article: 
"“We are big fans of those scenes. [Brainy and Lena] are both are same. They come from evil families and have repressed childhood trauma,” Rath said on the Brainy-Lena friendship."

I really want Lena to build some connections to people beyond Kara and Lex. Her and Brainy have been great together, and it would make sense for her to have some interaction with Kelly, business-wise. It's been ridiculous that Lena has been hidden away in her lab by herself, only communicating with Lex via video. Why are they wasting her?

• Love 2

Jesse said he heard rumors they might only get a 3 week hiatus between season 5 and season 6. Nicole did not hear that and was surprised. Usually a show like this would get over a month to two months hiatus. I wonder why they would do that? A possible writers strike? Next year also might be the last season but I don't know if that would have anything to do with an early start. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Useful 1
On 2/18/2020 at 8:14 PM, Oreo2234 said:

Jesse said he heard rumors they might only get a 3 week hiatus between season 5 and season 6. Nicole did not hear that and was surprised. Usually a show like this would get over a month to two months hiatus. I wonder why they would do that? A possible writers strike? Next year also might be the last season but I don't know if that would have anything to do with an early start. 

Curious... If it was because of a potential strike, I'd assume all the shows would be doing the same; but we've only heard about this show.

Gonna throw out a wild guess:

Spoiler

Melissa's pregnant or planning to be pregnant?

4 hours ago, Trini said:

Curious... If it was because of a potential strike, I'd assume all the shows would be doing the same; but we've only heard about this show.

Reveal spoiler

My guess was

Spoiler

It's gonna be the last season so they're wrapping up as quickly as possible

And I can't decide if yours is better or worse

• Love 1

It might be the last season since its when Melissa's contract runs out but I don't think that would be a reason to have such a short hiatus and rush it into production. I don't think Arrow's last season started filming any earlier.  Maybe Melissa landed another role that overlaps with the regular filming schedule so they are moving things around to accommodate her. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 1

Contracts can be renewed. I don't see how Melissa's current contract expiring means the show is done. As far as I know, there isn't anything to say that the next season is the last. (It's possible, of course.)

I could see her possibly signing for a 7th season if its decided that it will be the last one.  But I can't see her signing for an 8th season. 

Here is a spoilery preview of the 100th episode from Hypable. 

Spoiler

It sounds like it will be much more focused on Kara/Lena than Kara/Alex/J'onn. That is disappointing but not surprising given the synopsis.

Edited by Oreo2234

The show has been pretty accommodating of her other projects so maybe she might. Especially if there is a reduced episode order for the 7th season which is partly how Stephen Amell was convinced to sign on for the last season of Arrow. 

12 minutes ago, Oreo2234 said:

The show has been pretty accommodating of her other projects so maybe she might. Especially if there is a reduced episode order for the 7th season which is partly how Stephen Amell was convinced to sign on for the last season of Arrow. 

I dont think the situation are comparable. s8 of arrow was an interlude to Crisis. Stephen Amell was always quite clear on that. While the showrunners tried to pretend it was for giving the show closure. Amell was pretty clear that Arrow has ended with s7. And basically only did it because Berlanti wouldnt take no for answer and he got paid very well. 

I dont see any event in the near future that would hold such a significance. Also i think its quite different if you and your husband live in vancouver/LA than Vancouver/New York.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Oreo2234 said:

26 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

And basically only did it because Berlanti wouldnt take no for answer and he got paid very well. 

Yeah from Stephen’s podcast interview he made it pretty clear that it would have been financially unwise to turn it down. I can’t see the same sort of deal happening for Melissa unfortunately. 

I know the situations aren't the same but if the showrunners/network really want a 7th season to wrap things up we might end up with a shortened final season. Especially if a writers strike ends up interfering with the 6th season. 

Edited by Oreo2234

The show was renewed one month ago and no-one has uttered the words "final season" yet. If Melissa is not renewing her contract and/or the network isn't interested in adding more seasons they should release a statement in the near future.

My prediction is that Melissa is busy with another project that is interfering with the show filming and they are moving up production to accommodate her. The con organizer apologized for the cancellation and also tweeted that she's a very in demand actress. I may be reading too much into it but to me it sounds like she booked another gig.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Starry said:

The show was renewed one month ago and no-one has uttered the words "final season" yet. If Melissa is not renewing her contract and/or the network isn't interested in adding more seasons they should release a statement in the near future.

My prediction is that Melissa is busy with another project that is interfering with the show filming and they are moving up production to accommodate her. The con organizer apologized for the cancellation and also tweeted that she's a very in demand actress. I may be reading too much into it but to me it sounds like she booked another gig.

CW never announces final seasons when they renew shows. That was the case with Arrow also.  

Honestly i think Supergirl wont go on pass Melissa contract because being in Vancouver restricts her. And especially if her husbands show gets picked up. 

Whatever gig Melissa might have picked up it must interfere with the schedule for filming of the season. Meaning it would take place around July/August. Could be another Broadway gig. 

• Love 1
On 2/20/2020 at 12:07 PM, Trini said:

Wasn't sure where to put this;

Catco magazine and Kara and Lex were mentioned in this week's The Flash episode (6.12), clip:

Damn, Andrea Rojas has really ruined that magazine... it's a total crappy checkout tabloid now!  Not that it was ever well-defined (it used to look to me like it was a weekly news/opinion magazine with the page count and production values of Vogue), but that cover was just ridiculous.

• LOL 2
43 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

CW never announces final seasons when they renew shows. That was the case with Arrow also. 

I know. That's why I pointed out that if season 6 is the last they should release an announcement in the near future.

I think it was the beginning of March when they said season 8 would be Arrow's last. IMO if by this time next month there's no announcement it'll be safe to say they are getting a ( shorter? ) season 7.

Why didn't Melissa sign a seven seasons contract like Stephen though?

1 hour ago, MarkHB said:

Damn, Andrea Rojas has really ruined that magazine... it's a total crappy checkout tabloid now!  Not that it was ever well-defined (it used to look to me like it was a weekly news/opinion magazine with the page count and production values of Vogue), but that cover was just ridiculous.

Which is weird cause they had a copy of CatCo Magazine on Batwoman too and it seemed like it was still a somewhat respectable news source. Almost looked like either People or old Newsweek rather than how Flash made it seem like Us Weekly!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, shantown said:

Which is weird cause they had a copy of CatCo Magazine on Batwoman too and it seemed like it was still a somewhat respectable news source. Almost looked like either People or old Newsweek rather than how Flash made it seem like Us Weekly!

Gotham gets the Sophisticated City cover, Central City gets the Boonies cover? Ever-unsavable Star City presumably gets a cover that promises to tell readers HOW TO SURVIVE THE COMING APOCALYPSE!  🤣

• LOL 2
4 minutes ago, Trini said:

Since the show has been so accommodating to Melissa's other projects, to me that seems a point towards her staying with this steady gig in Vancouver.  ::shrug::

It was probably part of her contract once they switched to Vancouver. If her contract is only for 6 seasons the negotiations for the cast are most likely ongoing, just like for another Arrowverse show. Will see how it turns out, but personally i dont think Melissa is staying beyond s6.  The early filming also helps in case of a strike. 

Any episodes over 100 are a bonus, and i dont think there is the big push to keep it on air, especially with the incoming Superman show. 

• Love 1

From EW; Jeremy Jordan interview, and an interview with the showrunners about the 100th episode:

Having Mxy in the mix also helped make this episode very, very playful. Was a lot of that humor in the script or did you all find moments on set? 

ROVNER: It was baked into the script, but we were blessed with Thomas Lennon coming in to take over the characterization of Mxyzptlk. Mxy is always such a fun character, but when he was coming back in this incarnation, partly because we were making him not as malevolent as he was last time, we inherently wanted to have something that was fun and that kind of was a fun trip down memory lane, especially since we were dealing with such heavier happenings. That it made it a lot of fun.
QUELLER: I think that the answer is the fun was written into the script, but Tom Lennon just elevated it and made it buoyant.

Were there any familiar face you wanted to bring back for the episode, but couldn’t due to scheduling? 

QUELLER AND ROVNER: Calista [Flockhart].
QUELLER: Yeah, Cat Grant was unfortunately not available for that particular episode. We would’ve definitely featured her if the scheduling had worked out.
ROVNER: And also, Mehcad was unavailable. He was shooting a feature so he couldn’t come back, although he’s in the episode.

Right now, the season is juggling many different things: Leviathan, Kara-Lena’s relationship, and the technology theme. What can you say about where the season is heading? 

ROVNER: I think everything is heating up. We see Leviathan plans moving forward in a much bigger way. We see how Lex is involved in that as well, and it kind of builds to a very big climax in our last two episodes.

Melissa just posted on IG she is having a baby! Wonder how that will affect their shooting schedule (I know nothing about when things are filmed)?? Can’t see how they would hide her behind large purses and laundry baskets as Supergirl 😂😂

• Love 4

There was a rumor coming from Jesse Rath that there might be an early start to filming for next season. This news might explain that if that rumor is true. With the pregnancy they might have to move around filming, or cut episodes and/or write Kara out for a stretch and focus on other characters. 

• Love 5

Yeah, it sounds like they really are starting to film season 6 early, and I would not be surprised if they cut back from 20-22 episodes to 16 episodes. That probably makes the most sense, as well. 

Well, I am thrilled for Melissa and Chris. 

• Love 3

Yeah, that really puts the future of the show in question, imo. You can't write around the lead's pregnancy on a show like this for too long. And what happens after the baby's born? Will she really want to keep such a heavy filming schedule in another state with a newborn at home? Maybe next year is the last.

• Love 1
(edited)

Aww, congrats to them. 

Well that along with the possible strike would be a very good reason to start filming early. It's not like it's easy to just put Kara behind a plant, carrying something or sitting down when she's in a very action heavy role in that costume. I suppose they could have an alien artefact that causes her to swell up or something. 

They could write her out for a stretch and use it to showcase the others more but it's very difficult to do it for more than an episode or two when it's the title character. People already complain if it seems like they're only in an episode for a few minutes during other centrics. A shortened season makes sense especially with how many DC shows they have.

This also makes it more likely that it will be the last season or maybe last one leading to a shortened mini series like Arrow. Especially if CW's show also gets picked up. I mean obviously leading ladies have had babies and come back to their shows but with her contract already up next year it's got to be tempting to call it a day and take some time off then find work nearer home. 

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 2
(edited)

And what happens after the baby's born? Will she really want to keep such a heavy filming schedule in another state with a newborn at home? Maybe next year is the last.

Possibly. There has been conflicting information about whether she is signed for 6 or 7 seasons. If she's signed for 7 she might do a final, (probably) shortened seventh season. I don't see the show lasting any longer than that. 

This probably means Supergirl won't have much, if any, involvement in the crossover this year.  

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 2

That baby is going to get the most awesome costumes from the wardrobe team.

I do agree they will probably going to take a short break and start jumping into season 6 ASAP (I know law and order SVU did something similar a few years ago) but it depends how many scripts they can get in before any possible writers strike. They would have to be mapping out the crossover by now and see if it’s feasible to have her just as involved or more likely, she takes a limited role and the Black Lightning team gets an invited to the big dance along with Stargirl and Lois and Superman. 

• Love 1

On 2/20/2020 at 5:56 PM, Trini said:

Hide contents

We have a winner 😉

I can see next season being the last but since I was wrong about my other prediction watch me be wrong about this too.

It's possible season 6 is going to have less episodes but I also think that they are going to have a short hiatus, film as much content as possible before Melissa starts showing too much and then take a long break around the time of the baby's birth.

I doubt Supergirl won't be a part of the crossover. Maybe Kara won't have a prominent role but she's often sidelined during crossovers anyway.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Oreo2234 said:

This probably means Supergirl won't have much, if any, involvement in the crossover this year.  

1 hour ago, mtlchick said:

They would have to be mapping out the crossover by now and see if it’s feasible to have her just as involved or more likely, she takes a limited role and the Black Lightning team gets an invited to the big dance along with Stargirl and Lois and Superman. 

This is the perfect time for them to stop doing the gigantic crossovers and scale down to smaller crossovers just between 2 shows! As others have said, Supergirl herself is often sidelined, and we rarely see any of the other cast play a prominent role. (Heck, J'onn was a paragon last time around and he STILL didn't get much of anything to do!)

Congrats to Melissa! 

• Love 3