Type keyword(s) to search

President Fitzgerald Grant: Smirker in Chief

Why is Tony Goldwyn as Fitz always giving other people really dirty looks all the time? It's like his go-to expression (and is seriously unattractive when his face gets all scrunched and creased up) and Shonda or whoever needs to tell him to lay off.

• Love 3

Honestly, I know it's Shonda world, but Fitz kissing another woman on a public balcony, (you have to know there is Papparazi stalking) is just....too hard to believe. 

This guy does not deserve to be president. We should ship him and Liv off to Vermont to make jam, and let the country have a leader who can concentrate on something besides his mistress. 

Mellie and Liv both deserve better. 

• Love 3

Never before has my hatred of one single character driven me away from a show. But if Shonda is making Olitz endgame while continouing to portray Fitz as the biggest hypocrite in the universe I cannot take it anymore. I'll visit the threads to read any future Fitz bashing (keep it alive people!), but unless Shonda decides to pull a Purple Wedding to kill Fitz I won't watch anymore.

BTW I watched a YouTube video that was 10 glorious minutes of Mellie slapping Fitz in season 3. It was very very cathartic.

• Love 1

I just saw the opening post and remembered Rhondinella's comment 

""Fitz is a Rhodes Scholar, a PhD, and J.D. He graduated from Yale University suma cum laude before going on to Harvard Law School.""

I can't believe he even passed college algebra, let alone all those academic honors. He has yet to do something smart yet. 

• Love 3

I think last season we were meant to assume he got a lot accomplished before getting distracted by Olivia.  They just don't show all the public triumphs because they don't add much to the show.

None of that negates starting a war for his mistress though.  That's the one thing he's done on this show that I think is the worst. I think he's treated Mellie fine considering how she treated him, not overly mad about Verna, he shot down the plane under orders, and he didn't rig any elections.  With the exception of that war, he's probably done less "bad" things than most of the cast.  But that one thing is such a character ruiner.  As Commander in Chief of one of the most powerful militaries in the world, he chose to use that recklessly and lose multiple lives under his command.

I think last season we were meant to assume he got a lot accomplished before getting distracted by Olivia.  They just don't show all the public triumphs because they don't add much to the show.

Would it have taken too much to show a fake news report on it? 

"President Grant's last X months are ones for the history books. He provided free cookies to Cookie Monsters, caught all 150 Pokemon and has made peace between the Feldman family. Despite the loss of his son, Grant has..." 

Insert actual triumphs to joke triumphs. 

• Love 4

Never before has my hatred of one single character driven me away from a show. But if Shonda is making Olitz endgame while continouing to portray Fitz as the biggest hypocrite in the universe I cannot take it anymore. I'll visit the threads to read any future Fitz bashing (keep it alive people!), but unless Shonda decides to pull a Purple Wedding to kill Fitz I won't watch anymore.

Yeah - I caught the previews last night (didn't know tonight was the premiere) and after about a 2 second debate with myself, I decided to stay with Project Runway.  Something tells me I won't miss Scandal at all.

I think last season we were meant to assume he got a lot accomplished before getting distracted by Olivia. They just don't show all the public triumphs because they don't add much to the show.

None of that negates starting a war for his mistress though. That's the one thing he's done on this show that I think is the worst. I think he's treated Mellie fine considering how she treated him, not overly mad about Verna, he shot down the plane under orders, and he didn't rig any elections. With the exception of that war, he's probably done less "bad" things than most of the cast. But that one thing is such a character ruiner. As Commander in Chief of one of the most powerful militaries in the world, he chose to use that recklessly and lose multiple lives under his command.

That's just it. Fitz doesn't "do" anything, he just let's everyone in his life from Big Daddy Jerry to Mellie to Olivia and Cyrus make decisions for him then throw judgement around when it goes to shit. Him throwing his weigh around reminds me of Eric Cartman riding is bike in a cop customers and yelling at people to "Respect MAH authori-tah."

Everything I need to say about Fitzgerald Grant, Papa Pope covered in his season three rant.

• Love 3

I need both Fitz and Jake to die, possibly at each other's hands. Have Olivia realize that the Scottish dude from Lost is her soulmate. If she MUST be with a privileged white dude, at least have it be one who doesn't constantly complain about the burden of being a privileged white dude like Fitz and Jake do constantly.

• Love 3

Is it me, or is Fitz smarmy as hell after "getting some." He was douchier than usual last night and most of it because of his "I just got LAID" smirk and attitude.

No, it's not just you. He's so gross. How does he have multiple women WHO KNOW him fighting for him? Like I can get the one night stand just off the power of the office, but Mellie and Olivia have spent years with him. Why do they still want him?

• Love 7

I am putting this here because I don't think it fits in an episode thread.

When it comes to the Fitz and Olivia relationship; Fitz is definitely the girl. (Oh shut up I know the remark is sexist.). Fitz keeps talking about love and feelings and crap and Olivia keeps giving him a look that screams "I just wanted some hot tail."

Fitz is acting like a teenage girl writing in his diary or dream journal. Fitz hearts Olivia. Oh don't get me wrong. I think Olivia does love Fitz but he is like that chick you are banging that you might have feelings for but would never bring home to meet the parents. Standards people standards.

Especially when both you parents kill people for sport and profit.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

I was working on the studio lot where Scandal is filmed a couple of weeks ago and was startled to look up and see the President of the United States zip by on a razor scooter!

Edited by thewhiteowl
unnessary bolding
  • Love 4

As Kim Reed pointed out in this week's recap, Tony Goldwyn directed Tony Goldwyn to play Fitz as a dick, so we're right there with him. Now I don't mind rooting for dicks that show me something else, (miss you some days, early seasons' Gregory House), but Fitz aint' doing it. Redeeming quality? Great lay? Says Liv and I don't trust her judgement one damn bit.

• Love 2

This, exactly. There's no appeal to this Daddy's boy whose biggest talent is sucking up tree farts. Archer from Star Trek Enterprise is the most hated lead character that springs to mind from the TwoP days, but even then, I believe he was at least trying to be a decent person most of the time. He became tolerable eventually.

Meanwhile, Fitz wants what he wants, and fuck everyone else. As someone mentioned in this week's episode threads, he and Liv both live for the drama.

I was a diehard West Wing fan so spent 7 seasons watching a much more "serious' version of politics. I can tell you that there is no way a press secretary is walking in to the private home of a president to watch him make out with his mistress, and friends or not, Cy would be on the outside too, simply because of rank.  I even remember a character asking Barlet how he slipped away to shop for xmas gifts. "A black sedan, a couple of agents and I'm back in an hour." Fitz should learn about protocol, might save him a lot of grief.