Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

Lisin

I also thought it was ok.  I will try it a couple of more times.  I liked Math Genius guy the best.  When Paige just shoved all of the chalk out of the way so he didn't have to put it in order - lol! I love putting things in order.  It is weird, I know.

What I didn't get was her old car could go over 100 mile per hour, no problem?  riiiggghhhtttt

When young Walter's home in Ireland was stormed upon, Walter said something like "Sign this paper, and I'll show you how I hacked into...."  He was nervous when he said it, but it seemed pretty brazen to make a demand while weapons were aimed at him.  What was the paper he wanted signed?

Edited by Beach Party

I am a complete and total sucker for Misfit Island.  Anyone who can re-create one gets my eyeballs.

I loved the dynamic of seeing a given team member light up as they were needed.  They just wanted to be known, needed, and appreciated.  Yup, ol' Lonesome's heart melted as if dropped in molten lava.  

Of course all the technicals and the basic plot were absurd.  I care not.  Kat mcmakemyeyesbleeder is a principle?  I care not (incredibly enough).  I am just a sucker for characters who have known only the curse of unreal/rare talent and are never allowed to grow.  

Why was the Asian lady so earnestly trusting of Walter?  What is his integrity worth to her?  Only everything.  The very same way Walter craves belief in something outside of himself.  

Yes.  I love these characters.

• Love 4

Even I know that and I was an English major (but around a lot of engineers at stanford some seeps in).

Actual Stanford engineer here - what I hate is the trope that all geniuses are socially inept and vice-versa.

• Love 4

Average at best and most of the characters were cliched.  The plotlines were manipulative and the plane and car scene was ridiculous.  I may give it another look, but no Breaking Bad for me.

Unfortunately I think the show gets worse.  I actually LIKED the over the top elements you didn't line in the Pilot.  The following episodes are less outrageous--so I think they suffer.

If you're going to insist on making the lead character Irish, he needs to look at least a smidge Irish.  If you want the non-Irish-looking actor, don't make him be Irish.  I realize it's based on a real guy named Walter O'Brien, but he looks Irish even though he's dark-haired.  It just jarred my eyes every time the main guy was on screen.  

I'd be interested to know what you think constitutes looking Irish.  Many Irish people aren't actually white. 

I'd be interested to know what you think constitutes looking Irish.  Many Irish people aren't actually white. 

To be fair to CALAMITY JANE, I think she means Irish as a race rather than as a nationality.  It might be fairer if people said "Celtic" (which I know even still is kind of vague--and in fact includes people from all over Europe), but assuming Jane might be seeing this from a US standpoint, I know we have a history in the US (especially people on the East coast) of seeing the Irish as a distinct race of people, because they arrived in our country as one.

I believe it's not used very extensively inside Ireland itself, but it's kind of why Americans, for example, often use the phrase "Black Irish".  We seem to see two subgroups.  The red-haired freckled bunch with green eyes and white skin, and the black-haired unfreckled bunch (usually with blue eyes, and even whiter skin than the freckled bunch).  It's just how the image has played out in the US.

On 9/23/2014 at 0:04 AM, Trini said:

No no no -- ethernet cable AND the co-pilot dangling out of the plane. Seriously??

I just started watching and even with all of the un-believable stuff I find this show highly entertaining.

The plane and car were going really fast - even if the pilot let the ethernet cable hang down 6 inches - that cable would be horizontal with the velocity and wind.

9 hours ago, KungFuBunny said:

I just started watching and even with all of the un-believable stuff I find this show highly entertaining.

The plane and car were going really fast - even if the pilot let the ethernet cable hang down 6 inches - that cable would be horizontal with the velocity and wind.

Shhhhhhhhh... let logic leave your brain.... there you go.

The show has only gotten more insane. Approach it like you would a Saturday morning cartoon. It's gotten that insane.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, bros402 said:

Shhhhhhhhh... let logic leave your brain.... there you go.

The show has only gotten more insane. Approach it like you would a Saturday morning cartoon. It's gotten that insane.

I've watched 10 episodes of Season 1 so far - and they all just make me laugh.

I think my favorite is Sylvestor - he reminds me of one of my closest friends who has OCD tendencies and hates dirt/germs

11 hours ago, KungFuBunny said:

I've watched 10 episodes of Season 1 so far - and they all just make me laugh.

I think my favorite is Sylvestor - he reminds me of one of my closest friends who has OCD tendencies and hates dirt/germs

Sylvester is probably the best character - he's closest in appearance to the real Walter.