Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Look Before You Leap

Tara Ariano

Well, if TV tropes mean anything, then the long-gone wife will turn up (either as another immortal or it will be her granddaughter that looks just like her, so we won't know until the next episode) right after main guy sleeps with the woman cop, deciding finally to open his heart to love again. You know it, I know it.

But first he has to solve the murder of the lady cop's husband because you just know there is no way he died of a simple heart attack.

• Love 1

I like this show, but it's on too late for me to stay up, so I watch 'on demand' when Time Warner/ABC feels like sharing.

I had to smile at the flashback scene when Henry and his blonde lady were in Italy in that scene where they were kissing outside, and you could see the Italian flag draped over one of the buildings.  I smiled because I know that area, Boardwalk Empire has also filmed on that block in Harlem (some say Washington Heights, but Washington Heights is further north I belive) I used to work near that area and passed that block every day for years.  Nice seeing it again.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1

I just realized that the bad guy's plan called for the victim to receive his suicide call, not tell anybody that there was a dude threatening to commit suicide on her way to the bridge and for everybody to ignore the fact that she climbed over the bridge. I guess sometimes when you're a killer, these things just line up for you.

I rolled my eyes every time "Adam" would call or contact Henry. I am also not a big fan of the 2D grumpy cop partner. The cop portion of this show is vastly inferior to Elementary. Still don't like Abigail's English accent and Jo the cop is a bit boring. It was a bit jarring to see Lorraine Toussiant again after OITNB. 

The best aspect of this show is still Abe and Henry. They are the heart and soul. I like Ioan in this more than when he was on Ringer or that awful Century City. Not quite Amazing Grace or Horatio level yet though. 

As for Henry's scarves, they have got to have some money. In typical genre form, most immortals or supernatural creatures are rich or have vast money reserves. Henry is too clever to not have lots of extra cash on hand. He can explain it to anyone that he's family rich. 

The best aspect of this show is still Abe and Henry. They are the heart and soul. I like Ioan in this more than when he was on Ringer or that awful Century City. Not quite Amazing Grace or Horatio level yet though. 

I agree. This is the biggest reason I continue watching. And well, because of the New York backdrop.

As for Henry's scarves, they have got to have some money. In typical genre form, most immortals or supernatural creatures are rich or have vast money reserves. Henry is too clever to not have lots of extra cash on hand. He can explain it to anyone that he's family rich.

After 200 years, I'd hope Henry would have been intelligent enough to save a ton of money. Also, doesn't it cost a nice chunk of change to run an antique shop? I'm guessing that Abe's done well for himself too.

The only thing I know about him is that he went to Berkeley.

most immortals or supernatural creatures are rich or have vast money reserves. Henry is too clever to not have lots of extra cash on hand.

200 years of compound interest? Smart enough to buy Coca Cola stock early on? Plus, I mean, doctors are usually fairly well paid, so he'd have had reason to be financially comfortable for a long time, even without his supernaturalness.

I'm wondering how he manages to contact Judd after his deaths. The first time, he was in the police station, and got to make a phone call. But where did he get the nice outfit he was wearing when Judd picked him up? After his bridge death, Judd just pulls up and gets him. How does a naked guy call someone?

Perhaps he keeps a spare cellphone where Jack Harkness kept his blaster  ;-)

• Love 2

I've only watched these first two episodes so far, and while I don't think it is must-see TV, the premise is fun and seems like something I could binge every few weekends.  It reminds me of a show from a few years ago with Nikolaj Coster-Waldau called New Amsterdam.  Does anyone remember that?  There are a few similar themes running through the two shows. 

• Love 1