Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Dunes of Despair

Can I just say, I was SO thrilled when Honora didn't end up making it and Matt did! She is a disgusting excuse for a human and if I were Matt, I wouldn't have been so kind. After all, he was out there as well and didn't seem to feel the need to try and cut her down to make himself feel better! All she kept doing was blaming him when she was the IDIOT who clearly did not know how to survive and as we can see, did not have what it takes!! "Oh yeah! It's 100 degrees outside, let go out and bake our skin in the sun so we walk around aimlessly and stick some water under a magnifying glass! Great idea!! And then next, when I figure out that is completely stupid, seeing as the crystal clear water is already baking under the sun all day, I'll just go blame my partner because he is clearly the smarter of the two (despite the shows misinformed announcer calling her highly intelligent HA!) and saving his energy!"

This episode really got under my skin. To call yourself a cute blonde, have the show apparently think you're some type of genius and to let your ignorant, judgmental, disgusting personality come out was just enough for me! Matt seemed very caring and kind and unfortunately got paired up with this twat (which I'm sure smelled rotting fish after awhile) and I'm glad he succeed! Also, who comes up with this shows PSR?! Because nothing she did (including FAILING the challenge) screamed that she should have gotten anything but a 6 and under. Her attitude sucked, she was stupid and kept taking gallivanting and napping in the damn sun, she failed the challenge and most importantly she didn't even really contribute! She brought up some leaves right along with Matt, but then took them away when she started having a 2 year old temper tantrum. Ugh. I'm just disgusted with her a human being and wish he nothing but heart break and sadness in life.

• Love 1

I don't think Matt was weak.  Forgiving her cost him nothing and made good TV.  He just seems like one of those people who aren't bothered by most of the BS in the world.  Most guys would have been seething to slap her upside the head in their talking heads.

I liked that he had his strategy and wasn't going to let her mess it up.  Once he discovered he could drink the water he was in good shape.  Conserve energy.  He seemed to have had enough to eat, but still lost 30 lbs.  She always wanted to "do something" when there wasn't much to do.  They didn't need firewood.  lol  I hate to defend her - even a little - but the water could have made her sick.  You never know.

Shouldn't there have been more coconuts around?  One rogue coconut in the swampy reeds?  What happened to the ants and grasshoppers?

The crying for magnesium was epic.  Her pals back home have had fun with this.

• Love 1

Just watched this episode.  I see that Honora was on here commenting, but TPTB have removed them.  

I agree that this environment seemed completely inhospitable.  But if they did eat birds and coconuts, etc., why does the editing leave all that out?  The show would be so much more interesting if we actually saw them trying to make camp and survive.  Instead, we just get footage of them passing out in the sand and sitting around.  How much fun is that to watch?  After just watching the boring Nicaragua one where they also did nothing, I think I might be done with this show.  The titillation factor that drew me in when the series first started is long long gone.

• Love 1

I started to watch this episode, but then I read here about how terrible Honora (ironic name) was to Matt, and I deleted it about 10-15 minutes in, before being exposed to her rant.

Thank you for the warning!

PS: A magnifying glass is the dumbest survival item yet. So much for her being highly intelligent. Maybe compared to an insect or something...

• Love 1

They just released the first extended preview of Naked and Afraid XL on-line.  And based on some of the mixed-in footage of people walking around, I'm going to make a prediction that Honora will be the first one out.

Well, not that bold given her previous record, I admit. :)  But the new trailer revealed four things of note.

1. While not given directions on finding one another, the 12 were put into "trio" groups and released close together in four different areas within the same 20 square mile area.

2. Honora was put in a group with Luke and Chris. All the footage of Honora in the preview is of her fighting with Chris and Honora declaring she doesn't feel physically safe around Chris.

3. There's footage of Chris and Luke walking with Eva, Laura and Dani Beau (the one all-women trio) with no sign of Honora.

4. They show a woman who passed out. Her face is hidden but it looks like Honora.

Finally got around to watching this show in a Naked and Afraid binge watch.

I was frankly amazed that Matt did so well in such a difficult envoriment. The guy was a freaking vegetarian and still seemed able to remain reasonably well fed. You almost never see a competitor that together on the last day. I wouldn't say he was necessarily surthriving like the alligator guy, but he seemed like he could have kept on going if he needed to. And this was a vegetarian in a freaking dessert.

I'm just doubly amazed, especially given the problems he had with his partner.