Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: The Wedding

Athena
  • Start Topic

I realize I'm in the minority here but this was just .... meh.

It was fine, but it wasn't the most erotic thing ever, like it had been built up to be.  I was expecting a bit more of what Carrie Bradshaw called the "20-Something Guy" phenomenon -- enthusiastic kissing, exploring, etc.  I get that this is his first time and all, but they're sitting apart talking, and then jumping right into sex.  And then sitting apart talking more.  Then more insta-sex.  Then talking.  Then insta-sex.

Also, just because she said it didn't hurt doesn't mean this guy would have the first clue about a woman's orgasm, so to say "does that happen every time?" was absurd to me.)

Agreed that I'm not sure how an 18th c. man who picked up sex tips from a barn would have any comprehension about that.  

Edited by annlaw78
  • Love 3

At first glance, it looked like a showdown between the two husbands, with Jamie providing the fairy tale/little girl's dream wedding with all the trappings and Frank taking the shortcut and giving little thought to Claire's wishes. But thinking about it further (not to mention multiple viewings), I think Frank tapped into a deeper need of Claire's by forsaking the traditional gather-your-kin ceremony and making it about just the two of them. Claire didn't have any family left (except her uncle, and I'm not sure he was still alive at that point), so a big wedding would've been groom-heavy, and that might have made her uncomfortable. It seems like Frank is averting that with eloping.

Or maybe I just want to give him extra points. They guy lost his wife out in the woods, after all.

Edited by TidalCreek
  • Love 11

I was looking forward to the episode and was happy with it. It did not surpass my expectations nor fail. I'll be honest, I love the show not so much for the romance but for the characters.

I really didn't care about the dress. It was pretty but I thought too much was made about something that really has no bearing on the story.

I thought that this episode was similar to the last, 2 people trying to figure out what the other was about. Only instead of a sinister tension we get an awkward one.

• Love 3

At first glance, it looked like a showdown between the two husbands, with Jamie providing the fairy tale/little girl's dream wedding with all the trappings and Frank taking the shortcut and giving little thought to Claire's wishes.

It was an interesting contrast to how both husbands showed their love.  In retrospect, the wedding with the most impetus to be a quickie civil thing ended up being a lavish beautiful church ceremony with gorgeous dress, custom ring, blood oath, etc. And the wedding where they had all the time in the world was the one that was hastily dispatched with on the way to the restaurant. 

Have to say, I teared up a bit when Murtagh was getting emotional during the ceremony in the church.  He was the one who saved her from Black Jack in episode 1, right? And it was a nice touch when Rupert lit up like that when Claire complimented the ring.

Edited by SedruolZenitram
  • Love 7

At first glance, it looked like a showdown between the two husbands, with Jamie providing the fairy tale/little girl's dream wedding with all the trappings and Frank taking the shortcut and giving little thought to Claire's wishes. But thinking about it further (not to mention multiple viewings), I think Frank tapped into a deeper need of Claire's by forsaking the traditional gather-your-kin ceremony and making it about just the two of them. Claire didn't have any family left (except her uncle, and I'm not sure he was still alive at that point), so a big wedding would've been groom-heavy, and that might have made her uncomfortable. It seems like Frank is averting that with eloping.

Agreed.  I'm not faulting Frank for suggesting eloping; if Claire didn't want to do that, she could have (and would have) said no.  He knows her, and figured a simple registry office marriage (which is pretty common in England) would be fine with her.  From what we know of Claire, I think that wedding was probably more "her" than a big church affair.  I think they were newlyweds when the War started, so perhaps Frank's impetus was the looming War.  Or maybe his parents are nightmares, and he wanted to put a ring on it before she met them, haha!

I really didn't care about the dress. It was pretty but I thought too much was made about something that really has no bearing on the story.

Yeah, the reality is that the fashion of that era just is not very flattering, and it's hard to dress up wool and linen.  And the smashed boobs.  Ouch.  

Edited by annlaw78
  • Love 4

I loved the structure of the episode. If they had told this story in a linear fashion, I think it wouldn't have served the sex scenes and the growing intimacy between Claire and Jamie well. Dividing it in three and, putting other scenes in between, clearly delineates the three, increasingly intimate couplings -- especially as in the interim scenes we learn more about Jamie and how he tried to make the wedding, itself, mean more to him and to Claire than a quick ceremony (like she had with Frank). I'm not belittling the ceremony with Frank, mind you, as a quick elopment can also be romantic. After all, Claire doesn't have a big family, if any at that time, and maybe, in the late 1930's, people were beginning to see the writing on the wall and were thinking ... we need to get this done quick as things in the world are heating up.

I think they were newlyweds when the War started, so perhaps Frank's impetus was the looming War.

Knock wood! We must have written our comments at almost the same time.

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 2

I thought they did address that. After they do the deed Claire voice overs that she is a bigamist and an adulteress and that she liked it. They could have had her agonizing over "Ugh, I had to do it! I had no other choice!" but she doesn't take that easy way out. She admits to her willingness with the sex.

I still thought it came off like "she had to do it" but turned out she liked sleeping with Jamie passively. 

Where, my point is that she chose to have sex with Jamie and she didn't have to do the act at all. I also find it interesting that she didn't tell Jamie the truth. Jamie might have refused had he known.

I loved it.  I'll have more coherent thoughts later, but for now I have an actual wedding to go to. It probably won't live up to the hype of this one, however.    I wonder if they frown upon you watching your ipad during the ceremony and reception?

I actually like Frank, so his 2 second appearance made me smile.  Cait looked gorgeous in both of her wedding attire.

• Love 2

I got the distinct impression that Dougal wanted Jamie to marry Claire because, with a Sassenach wife, it would be very difficult for Jamie to wield any power in the clan. Not that Jamie had any designs on this, but Dougal seems very jealous of Jamie. And of course he figured on getting Claire for himself later, thus killing two birds with one stone.

• Love 8

One thing I think SH captured really well was the post-coital sense of amazement and doofy pride (something I remember from the last time I bedded a virgin, heh). As if he'd just discovered America all by himself.

• Love 22

I found the voice overs less noticeable this week. I really liked the use of narration over the wedding scenes where it was Jamie and Claire remembering it as we were watching it.

I don't notice the voice over's, but I can tend to be oblivious like that.

I am watching it again, some episode are better the second time. Lat night I was distracted because I kept thinking 'are they not gonna show the wedding and her dress?????!!!!!'. Then when I realized how it was going to unfold I felt a fool. (It made me realize that many things will be revealed in this fashion, so I should cool my jets at times.)

I better go while I still have the house to myself!

One thing I think SH captured really well was the post-coital sense of amazement and doofy pride (something I remember from the last time I bedded a virgin, heh). As if he'd just discovered America all by himself.

I loved the way the scene played out where he was all suave "If I need help I'll ask" and then he immediately goes to take her from behind and then there's this quiet wonder when she turns around to do it face to face but he refuses to lose his posturing. And then the crushing her and the only lasting 10 seconds, yet he's still so proud of himself after. It was the most perfect devirginizing sequence. 

Edited by absnow54
  • Love 10

Angus is digging in his ear while everyone else looks on with admiration of Claire in her dress.

I think Claire is not smiling and freaking out internally is because she's still married to another live, even if they don't know it, man. She needs time time comes to terms with her new reality. IMHO

It was fine, but it wasn't the most erotic thing ever, like it had been built up to be.  I was expecting a bit more of what Carrie Bradshaw called the "20-Something Guy" phenomenon -- enthusiastic kissing, exploring, etc.  I get that this is his first time and all, but they're sitting apart talking, and then jumping right into sex.  And then sitting apart talking more.  Then more insta-sex.  Then talking.  Then insta-sex.

Agreed that I'm not sure how an 18th c. man who picked up sex tips from a barn would have any comprehension about that.  

My impression was that, after understanding it wasn't pain, he saw the similarity to his own orgasms (with which he's familiar) and realized that it was pleasure.

• Love 3

-1940's: "The hat is tragic."-channeling Vincent 'Vinnie' Antonelli/Steve Martin from My Blue Heaven

-Caitriona Balfe's breasts should have their own contract and hazard pay. They were so squashed into that bodice, I thought they'd explode any minute.

-Costume p0rn was at an all time high. I actually thought the dress Claire wore in the 'Honeymoon Suite' was prettier. And I thought the actors must have been really hot (in a thermostatic kind of way).

Edited by WaltersHair
  • Love 2

I have a suspicion about Murtagh.  Remember how he said he had to return the kilt he borrowed to a Fraser widow the next day?  Jamie asks why and Murtagh snaps "I didn't ask!"  I'm thinking Murtagh used something more than conversation to obtain Jamie's wedding clothes.  I'm thinking that widow may have asked for something more than chat from Murtagh Fitzgibbons Fraser.

Well, if Ned can get some, why not Murtagh?

BTW I love Murtagh's line "What do you think will happen when ye prance out of here with your red hair and your muckle size wearing Fraser colors?"  I looked it up and "muckle" is Scots English for something large.

Edited because if you're gonna quote a guy's full name -- get it right.   Annnnd I just learned there is no second "u" in Murtagh.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 4

Jamie had clearly shaved for the occasion, so I'm going to assume he bathed too.

And he got a verra clean shave too.... Verra verra clean

I am thinking he bathed and then rode his horse at a gallop for an hour to get that wind blown look. I didna care for his hair like that.

• Love 3

About that key -- I was very confused by what they told the blacksmith because I thought they were telling him to take the . . . . front part (the bit) and the . . . back part (the bow) and turn them into a ring.  That made no sense when I saw the final ring.

But now I think I understand that what he was told was to set those parts aside and to NOT melt them down, using only the middle part (the pin or shaft -- I looked it up) to be made into the ring.  The bit is the part that actually does the unlocking so if Jamie has retained that portion then the key can be remade (sort of like the shards of Narsil) if Jamie's fortune turns and he comes back into possession of whatever it is that key belongs to.

• Love 6

Gosh you guys. I just figured Jamie ran a comb through his hair in honor of getting washed and dressed up for his one and only marriage.  It's pretty obvious that the men in this show, especially the Scots, don't feel combs are a part of their daily routine.  Example: Colum in the early scenes vs. Colum at the gathering, where he was combed, shaved and dressed up.

• Love 6

Glaze Crazy I totally agree about Jamie's hair.  But as for Colum, Ron Moore has said they made a decision to change his look after the first few episodes were shot and they used the excuse of the Gathering to take off the beard and pull his hair back.  So that change was a more permanent costume re-design while Jamie putting a comb through his hair for the wedding just looks like good manners.  I also thought it had an added benefit of Jamie looking not quite like himself in the early scenes of Jamie-and-Claire in the bridal suite.  It added to the awkwardness.  After the consummation, his hair was back to its usual, tousled adorableness.

• Love 2

So did no one else notice the love bite on Sam's right trapezius?   A friend and I both exclaimed at the same time "OMG he's got a hickey!!$#!"  Seems that must have occurred in rehearsals or a previous take because I don't think we saw Claire latched on there in the final edit from what I could see.    Apologies if too dark/too small.   It's that scene, yeah.  

1cc22a352702856.jpg

• Love 1

Coming back to Dougal propositioning Claire: Since they have met, Claire bashed Dougal over the head with a stool after he threatened to rape her. Followed by the incident at the spring, where she shuddered in revulsion when she thought she would have to marry Dougal.

What did he think all of that was, part of the Sassenach mating ritual? Of course, having been acquainted with Black Jack Randall, perhaps he does?

Edited by bittersweetlily
  • Love 2

That was probably the most intimate and sensual love scene I've seen on tv.

I loved the flashbacks to the wedding with Jamie and Claire getting to know each other. We know Jamie's practically in love with her but this is the first time we see Claire give into her feelings for him.

I loved Jamie's face as he was undressing Claire as well. Too bad Claire can't tell him in the future it gets much easier to take one another clothes off.  

• Love 3

So did no one else notice the love bite on Sam's right trapezius?   A friend and I both exclaimed at the same time "OMG he's got a hickey!!$#!"  Seems that must have occurred in rehearsals or a previous take because I don't think we saw Claire latched on there in the final edit from what I could see.    Apologies if too dark/too small.   It's that scene, yeah.  

1cc22a352702856.jpg

thanks+i+wouldn+t+have+been+able+to+see+

• Love 4

It isn't the taking the clothes off that would bother me.  It is putting the damn things on in the first place.  When Jamie left to go downstairs the morning after, all I could think of was who helps her get into those 17th century horrors, known as corsets, w/o Mrs. Fitz around? 

OT:  in American History we were taught that by 1917 corsets had metal (steel) stays and that it became "patriotic" to donate the steel to the war effort.  Goodbye corsets and most women never went back.  Don't know if it is true or not but it makes sense. 

• Love 2

I haven't read the books and had a vague idea that this was some kind of epic love story. I really tuned in because I love Ron Moore and the beauty of Scotland kept me watching. I read the hype but the first 6 episodes didn't really show me why Jamie or Jamie and Claire have been at the top of the charts for 20 years. For me this episode centered on Jamie and I thought it really added layers to his character.

The first viewing was I admit to see the wedding night. I'm shallow and they are pretty. Second viewing it really was the wedding. Jamie's conditions to have a priest, proper ring and dress says so much about his character. When he said his vows and the blood oath he's not just trying to protect her but he's giving his heart and soul to her. I think this is serious business for him. It isn't some quickie deal (sorry Frank) but needs to be blessed by the church/God.

He doesn't think he has much to offer her but he does want her to have a ring and a beautiful dress. Even though he is young and inexperienced he is so open and unguarded. Being a virgin he was probably really to pop the minute they entered the room but he stops several times for her comfort. Dougal and the rest are like yeah she's hot and you get to bed her but Jamie is in love with her and he's all in. No holding back. Considering what he has suffered, that makes him pretty damn appealing.

Jeez Ron Moore has turned me into a fangirl and only one episode left. No fair. I'm gonna have to read the damn books.

• Love 12

It isn't the taking the clothes off that would bother me.  It is putting the damn things on in the first place.  When Jamie left to go downstairs the morning after, all I could think of was who helps her get into those 17th century horrors, known as corsets, w/o Mrs. Fitz around? 

I thought the same thing!  On a slightly related note, I was a little bummed that they couldn't get back to Castle Leoch for the wedding.  I kinda missed Mrs. Fitz fussing over Claire and helping her with the wedding.  I would have also liked Geillis's commentary on the wedding.  Both of those ladies have been eyeing Jamie and Claire with knowing looks since the 2nd or 3rd episodes.

• Love 2

Most of my musings have already been covered so I just have this to add:

The photography as the ring rolled into the crack in the floor and how it reflected Claire as she walked over and reached down to retrieve it was stunning- just beautifully shot. It likely took them forever to get that right it was worth it! Lord that was gorgeous. As was the dress. Uncomfortable, sure. But damn I thought it was beautifully made.

I thought the shot was gorgeous as well but honestly, I would assume it was CGId. I imagine that would be cheaper than the time spent trying to pull off that shot for real. Though if I'm wrong and it's not CGI, then yes, it was very impressive.

I also like the shot of Jamie through Claire's arm as she rest her head on her hand.

The 40-year-old Virgin came on one of the other premium channels afterwards and I couldn't help but notice the similarities in the male deflowering sex scenes: that the first time was over pretty quickly, the woman wasn't exactly thrilled with the experience and subsequent sex was much improved.

• Love 1

1cc22a352702856.jpg

That was Jamie's scar from when he got shot in the first episode.
  • Love 2

I loved Jamie telling Claire all about the advice the other men were giving him and she smiled and asked what he said back to them. That really showed the friendship they developed in the past few months and how open and honest Jamie is. 

Also how Jamie kept holding up his glass to toast when Claire kept filling up her's and downing it. He's so adorable and it's so strange for me because I usually don't like the good ones. It's the morally ambiguous ones that keep my attention but somehow I just love Jamie and his honorable adorableness. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2
who helps her get into those 17th century horrors, known as corsets, w/o Mrs. Fitz around?

Her corset did lace up in front. Might not be easy, but she could manage the laces that way.

Related note: I loved Jamie's expression as he was unlacing it, like it was going on forever.

That was Jamie's scar from when he got shot in the first episode.

Great catch! Good for them, remembering to include it. (Also shows months of time passage for it to be so well healed.)

• Love 1

I have to say I love how Rupert treats Claire. After her encounter with Dougal, I'm so glad that there was that conversation with Rupert. He looked genuinely pleased for Claire.

I also really enjoyed Angus and Rupert and the Blacksmith. Those two provide comedy that while not necessary to the plot helps break up some of the tension.

• Love 2
I also really enjoyed Angus and Rupert and the Blacksmith. Those two provide comedy that while not necessary to the plot helps break up some of the tension.

Those little comedic scenes, especially the one with the priest that went on for a while with the exchange of bible verse made me think very much of a Shakespeare play with the usual extraneous comedic bits that divide up the drama or action.

On a separate topic, this episode was both written by a woman and directed by a woman. I wonder if that made it so sensual in an almost feminine way. What I mean by that is -- and I generalize -- men tend to like to look at porn, while women tend to like reading erotica. This episode, for me, was like the best erotica transferred to film. It was done with a eye towards more than titillation but towards beauty. Once again, I generalize as I'm sure there are men who can produce and appreciate the same -- after all, the showrunner *is* a man -- but this episode just as such a lush, beautiful, feminine touch and I never felt I was looking at something salacious or purient. In fact, the last time Jamie and Claire come together, I actually got a tear in my eye at their lovemaking, it was so truly gorgeous.

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 7

Ok, I am not going to be able to watch this episode or the next until I get back from vacation on the 1st of October.  I am going to have to live vicariously though all of you.  I am already hot and bothered, and simply cannot wait to see this.  :-(

I have already been spoiled beyond belief, I did it to myself, so I will continue to watch the episode threads until I can watch the episode. 

I am hoping someone will rewatch it with me come October?  ::giggle::

• Love 5

Ok, I am not going to be able to watch this episode or the next until I get back from vacation on the 1st of October.  I am going to have to live vicariously though all of you.  I am already hot and bothered, and simply cannot wait to see this.  :-(

I have already been spoiled beyond belief, I did it to myself, so I will continue to watch the episode threads until I can watch the episode. 

I am hoping someone will rewatch it with me come October?  ::giggle::

Enjoy your vacay bizzbuzz!! What a time to go, right before the finale. You can't watch it online somehow?

• Love 1

Those little comedic scenes, especially the one with the priest that went on for a while with the exchange of bible verse made me think very much of a Shakespeare play with the usual extraneous comedic bits that divide up the drama or action.

I absolutely love this observation.  And I absolutely loved that scene for two reasons:

1. it gave Willie his first opportunity to show us what he can do (the actor I mean).  Up until now he's really just been a background player with a line here and there.  I couldn't even figure out why they bothered to introduce him in "Rent".  I figured he was a red-shirt -- doomed to an early and tragic end.  Now I think the scene in the church was his whole raison d'être -- to give Dougal a comic partner for that scene. 

2. Dougal is funny.  He's dangerous and lecherous too, but damn he's funny.  He had just about the only funny line in the first 50 minutes of the Garrison Commander episode as well -- when the General says Claire knows how to order men about and he mutters "Aye she does that."

I watch almost no sit-coms on television anymore.  I much prefer my comic relief in the framework of a drama.  Outlander is succeeding in that arena in a big way.

• Love 5

Enjoy your vacay bizzbuzz!! What a time to go, right before the finale. You can't watch it online somehow?

Thanks!

I live in 400 sq ft with a 14 year old daughter.  We only have one TV and until now, I have been very comfy with her putting in her earphones and otherwise just letting her be engaged in something else, because it hasn't been all that sexual.  I am just not ready to share this kind of intimacy with her, and quite frankly, I want to watch it unencumbered.  She will be with her dad for 4 weeks, so I might even do a rewatch myself!  ::giggle::

I will be ok.  I never mind being spoiled, but I have to mind watching stuff in front of her.  She has grown up too fast already!  ::giggle::

• Love 2

I had an interesting moment imagining what this episode would have been like had it been written and directed by the Game Of Thrones writers and directors.

I am so grateful that I got to watch sensuality and intimacy instead of the typical cable porn.

• Love 9

Oooh I just read a really interesting interpretation of the the opening scene.  The reviewer over at HitFlix assumed that the dissolve from Claire kissing Frank after he proposed to Claire kissing Jamie at the end of the wedding meant that Claire was thinking of Frank when she kissed Jamie and that's why she responded to him.  OMG if that is true, that makes that scene so much more poignant.  Claire's response gives Jamie hope when if he knew the truth it would have the opposite effect.  True she warms up to him later (and by warm I mean hot hot hot) but if she's thinking of Frank at the beginning of the episode and she's thinking of him again at the end, there are rough roads ahead for this pair.

• Love 1

Last night proved to me, that Jamie/Sam needs to have more speaking lines in addition to the 'looks of smolder' as far as I'm concerned.

Now, granted I read the books years, and years ago, so I only have memories of Claire, Jamie and Black Jack Randall. So, if the show wants me to see Dougal with shades of gray? By having him accost and proposition Claire? Big FAIL. They're only making me detest him more and more, and despite the actor's acting, I don't like him and will seriously cut a bitch, if they turn this into a fucking triangle. And this is coming from someone who loved him in the pilot.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2

Oooh I just read a really interesting interpretation of the the opening scene.  The reviewer over at HitFlix assumed that the dissolve from Claire kissing Frank after he proposed to Claire kissing Jamie at the end of the wedding meant that Claire was thinking of Frank when she kissed Jamie and that's why she responded to him.  OMG if that is true, that makes that scene so much more poignant.  Claire's response gives Jamie hope when if he knew the truth it would have the opposite effect.  True she warms up to him later (and by warm I mean hot hot hot) but if she's thinking of Frank at the beginning of the episode and she's thinking of him again at the end, there are rough roads ahead for this pair.

I usually really like these recaps - she is a very funny recapper - but I didn't care for this one. I thought her response to the episode was pretty extreme.

I loved the dissolve from Claire kissing Frank to Claire kissing Jamie at the wedding and the subsequent mind-fuck I experienced. I actually said out loud "Wait -- you skipped the ceremony! What about the dress?" before settling back down, confident that all would be revealed. Wicked, tricksy, false writers. I love you.

Unanswered questions

1. What is the significance of that key and

2. Why did Jamie carry his dirk and sword into the bridal suite at the beginning of the ep?

I felt exactly the same at the beginning of the episode, like how dare you deny us seeing the ceremony?! Then I realized that we were not going to see your standard TV wedding episode which usually tend to be season or series finales. This one happens to be episode 7. Of the first season of 16. Love that!

Although I've read the books up to the 4th one (I am on 5...this will be the only way I will make it through the hiatus), I have been trying to see the series as a separate entity, a variation on the original text, rather than from a nitpicky purist POV. (I do this with GoT also.) And that is precisely why I get tickled with variations like the wedding ring story and this mysterious key. Of course I couldn't help but think it's the key to his heart, but maybe it's a key to something back at his home? He definitely downplayed its significance to Claire.

His dirk and sword were part of his Highlander regalia, so I think he was just putting it away for the night. Didn't Dougal grab his dirk to do the blood oath? It did seem to be an aggressive entrance into the bridal chamber, armed to the hilt :-)

magdalene  What bothered you about her recap this time?  I thought it was laugh out loud funny -- I cracked up when she described the post-consummation scene so perfectly.

Tina, oh just how pro Frank she is and anti Jamie. The poor guy doesn't deserve that.

how pro Frank she is and anti Jamie. The poor guy doesn't deserve that.

Oh that.  Yeah I scoffed at her protestations that she is still TeamFrank after that episode.  But hey, different strokes for different folks.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2